A light flue cured tobacco with a touch of honey. Also, Dark brown ready rubbed cut plug.

BrandRobert McConnell
2.4
½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (51)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Unnoticeable

This has a muted cotton candy sort of sweetness with a fruity flavor that is very enjoyable if I sip the pipe; but if I get into a puffing mode the flavoring quickly becomes cloying. Overall the tobacco taste of the Virginias comes through nicely. Great smoke to satisfy that once in a blue moon sweet tooth that even tobacco purists can develop from time to time. To me the flavoring is vaguely suggestive of the Lakeland style, although there's little, if anything, here in the way of perfume and floral notes. This probably merits 2½ stars, meaning I don't regret buying it, but a little will go a long way.

Pipe Used: Rattray's, cobs, Butz-Choquin

Age When Smoked: a couple of years in the tin

Similar Blends: If you like Peterson's Nutty Cut, you'll probably like this; but Ripe Honeydew's flavoring is more fruit-like.

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (28)

Honeydew, mild, smooth, sweet Virginia that's gentle on tongue and palette. This one is pretty good. The name honeydew does impart on its flavor because many of them do taste like honeydew melon and have that aroma to match. I'll take McClellands honeydew over this one. This is good but there's something lacking ? I wish my all t time favorite Rich Dark Honeydew by Gallaher was still available in the states ! McConnels isn't bad and it is a honeydew just not my first choice.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The term "Honeydew tobacco" was originally meant to describe a light, fragrant Virginia, not a topping flavor. The description of this tobacco says that it has a light honey topping, which is obviously worlds apart from honeydew.

I smoked this tobacco with the understanding that it was untopped, and I tasted no honey. I understand the mental need to mention a honey flavor when you KNOW that it contains honey, but I truly believe that 9 out of 10 people who tasted this blind would not detect any topping whatsoever. It is a bit hot, and I would not pretend that this is a complex blend, but it is light, a refreshing change of pace, and possesses a sweet, fragrant, grassy character that I haven't quite found elsewhere. Oh, there are tobaccos with these qualities that I like better, but none quite like this. Please give this a try before you relegate it to "just another bright, hot Virginia". There is much more, which I suspect you will enjoy greatly.

Preacher Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Preacher Pipes (7)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I received this blend as part of a trade in the fall of 2013. It came to me in a ziplock bag and was very dry; since it was already opened and not in its tin I don't know if this is the "norm" for this blend or not. I jarred it the day I got it and waited a few weeks to try it. I don't remember the exact weight I received (the volume easily filled an 8 oz. Mason jar without packing it too tightly) but have smoked it on and off since receiving it up to this writing, which I have about 12 grams now remaining, keeping it jarred the entire time.  I didn't really detect any honey topping in the tin (jar) note, nor in the subsequent smoke. It did have a pleasant, grassy note, with a sweetness that may have been the topping but wasn't coming through as honey to me; it smelled very much like I would expect a Virginia to smell.  The smoking experience with this blend was very consistent over time and from pipe to pipe, which I'll describe in a moment. I would add here that another reviewer commented that the "honeydew" in the name doesn't refer to the flavoring but to the old term for a sweet, simple Virginia tobacco and I affirm his statement, both by experience and researching the comment. Being very dry, it was easy to pack; it was in a ribbon like state, I don't know if that is how it is packaged or if it had been rubbed out before I received it. It took a flame very easily and produced a nice bloom on the false light. The true light, which alway came on the second try for me, again produced a nice, but slightly lesser, bloom and it smoked with little more than the occasional tamp: no fuss, no muss kind of blend, which I liked.  The flavor was pure Virginia goodness in my opinion; I didn't taste the honey topping at any point that I recall. The blend did require sipping to avoid it getting too hot and, perhaps because it was so dry, burned fast: similar to a shag cut I'm that respect.  I have smoked the tobacco in a variety of pipes (materials and sizes) and found it to smoke/taste consistent in all of them: burning well, tasting sweet and grassy, and not wet smoking unless puffed hard.  As I mentioned in the first few sentences, I have a small amount remaining and have commenced and experiment with it. Since I found the blend, or at least the batch I have, to be rather one dimensional and fast burning I added about 10% Perique and 5% Latakia to it, in hopes of a,ping up the flavor and slowing the burn. After a good mixing and a few days "marrying" in the jar, today I tried out the "amped Honeydew" in a Falcon. The results were very good: the blend burned much slower and cooler and was given an extra zing and a tad bit of depth from the added tobaccos.  While this is a pleasant enough smoke on its own and may be better if I had gotten it straight from a sealed tin, it is unlikely that I will purchase this blend in the future. I would consider it on a trade Or if I got a VERY good deal on it since I think it would be a good blending Virginia.

Pipe Used: Corn cob, Falcon, Meerschaum, varietyy of briars

Age When Smoked: 1-2 years

Purchased From: Recieved in a trade

Similar Blends: Christmas Cheer 2013.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (58)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a nice blend. I love the hint of honey flavoring. It does burn rather hot though and is a task to keep from getting tongue bite. The flavor though makes it worth the challenge to me. It's been very well received by thos I've smoked it around. Just don't puff too hard, long, or frequently on it. A light sip of it every so often is just enough to keep it lit, enjoy the flavor, and not get tonge bite.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I found a old old tin at my local B&M that must be at least a decade old. With this amount of age was a very smooth smoke with just the right amount of honey flavor - yummy.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I like juicy melons as much as the next guy. This has been kicking around for several years, now I remember why. Looks and smokes like great leaf, but doesn't deliver the flavor as promised. There's good Virginia in there, but it takes too much effort to coax the flavors out.

Not a bad step up for smokers of sweeter aromatics.

I don't know why I don't give up on Aromatics. I keep hoping one will have that cross-over magic of great taste, smell, and full tobacco flavor. So far the only one that really hits most of those points is Revelation from H.O.W. and the Frog Morton series from McClelland. This is a good four star tobac if you enjoy some of the more strongly flavored European Aromatics.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Every once in a while, you cannot get want you want so you settle for something else. Ripe Honeydew in overall appearance is a light honey colored tobacco in smallish flakes and strands with rare bits of dark ribbon. It may very well be topped with honey, but the aroma in the tin tells me a light German chocolate and raspberry essence has been added to the recipe, if only sparingly. I do not detect the presence of honey as I do with, say, MacBarens Navy Flake. I am a very slow puffer, yet this tobacco is hot in the bowl, in the mouth and in the nose. I do not describe it as a bite, but as an irritating heat sensation throughout. The flavor is of an acceptable lightly sweetened Virginia. It is difficult to know whether the unpleasantness is due to high nicotine or to the combustion of the sweetener. I suspect the latter because I am not usually put off by high nicotine content. Far down the bowl, the smoke smoothes out, but only briefly. This blend is a disappointment after McConnell's Scottish Cake and Scottish Flake. Too bad. My assessment is that the tobacco itself is pretty good, but the mixture has been bungled with the choice of sweetener. I will be able to finish this tin, but I will not buy another. Paddy.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)

A combination of fully rubbed out flake and what appears to be some ribbon cut, this blend of various lighter Virginias has a very pleasant, tart tin nose. The slight casing of honey is detectible in the tin aroma and adds a sweetness to the citrusy and grassy notes from the light Virginias.

The blend packs easily and burns well, but I'm of mixed feeling on the flavor. Generally, I'm not one for topped tobaccos and I feel the honey detracts rather than adds to the overall composition. The honey is certainly not overwhelming, but neither does it strike me as particularly necessary to the blend. I'm also not one that usually suffers from tongue burn from Virginias, but this seems to be irritating my mouth slightly.

The flavor is by no means bad, but I just don't find it particularly interesting. The honey seems to add little sweetness to the Virginias and I don't really think the Virginias could hold much interest on their own.

On the whole, I would say that there is nothing really bad about this blend, just that it doesn't really appeal to me.