A light flue cured tobacco with a touch of honey.

BrandRobert McConnell
2.4
gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (45)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a nice blend. I love the hint of honey flavoring. It does burn rather hot though and is a task to keep from getting tongue bite. The flavor though makes it worth the challenge to me. It's been very well received by thos I've smoked it around. Just don't puff too hard, long, or frequently on it. A light sip of it every so often is just enough to keep it lit, enjoy the flavor, and not get tonge bite.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I found a old old tin at my local B&M that must be at least a decade old. With this amount of age was a very smooth smoke with just the right amount of honey flavor - yummy.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I like juicy melons as much as the next guy. This has been kicking around for several years, now I remember why. Looks and smokes like great leaf, but doesn't deliver the flavor as promised. There's good Virginia in there, but it takes too much effort to coax the flavors out.

Not a bad step up for smokers of sweeter aromatics.

I don't know why I don't give up on Aromatics. I keep hoping one will have that cross-over magic of great taste, smell, and full tobacco flavor. So far the only one that really hits most of those points is Revelation from H.O.W. and the Frog Morton series from McClelland. This is a good four star tobac if you enjoy some of the more strongly flavored European Aromatics.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The term "Honeydew tobacco" was originally meant to describe a light, fragrant Virginia, not a topping flavor. The description of this tobacco says that it has a light honey topping, which is obviously worlds apart from honeydew.

I smoked this tobacco with the understanding that it was untopped, and I tasted no honey. I understand the mental need to mention a honey flavor when you KNOW that it contains honey, but I truly believe that 9 out of 10 people who tasted this blind would not detect any topping whatsoever. It is a bit hot, and I would not pretend that this is a complex blend, but it is light, a refreshing change of pace, and possesses a sweet, fragrant, grassy character that I haven't quite found elsewhere. Oh, there are tobaccos with these qualities that I like better, but none quite like this. Please give this a try before you relegate it to "just another bright, hot Virginia". There is much more, which I suspect you will enjoy greatly.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Every once in a while, you cannot get want you want so you settle for something else. Ripe Honeydew in overall appearance is a light honey colored tobacco in smallish flakes and strands with rare bits of dark ribbon. It may very well be topped with honey, but the aroma in the tin tells me a light German chocolate and raspberry essence has been added to the recipe, if only sparingly. I do not detect the presence of honey as I do with, say, MacBarens Navy Flake. I am a very slow puffer, yet this tobacco is hot in the bowl, in the mouth and in the nose. I do not describe it as a bite, but as an irritating heat sensation throughout. The flavor is of an acceptable lightly sweetened Virginia. It is difficult to know whether the unpleasantness is due to high nicotine or to the combustion of the sweetener. I suspect the latter because I am not usually put off by high nicotine content. Far down the bowl, the smoke smoothes out, but only briefly. This blend is a disappointment after McConnell's Scottish Cake and Scottish Flake. Too bad. My assessment is that the tobacco itself is pretty good, but the mixture has been bungled with the choice of sweetener. I will be able to finish this tin, but I will not buy another. Paddy.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)

A combination of fully rubbed out flake and what appears to be some ribbon cut, this blend of various lighter Virginias has a very pleasant, tart tin nose. The slight casing of honey is detectible in the tin aroma and adds a sweetness to the citrusy and grassy notes from the light Virginias.

The blend packs easily and burns well, but I'm of mixed feeling on the flavor. Generally, I'm not one for topped tobaccos and I feel the honey detracts rather than adds to the overall composition. The honey is certainly not overwhelming, but neither does it strike me as particularly necessary to the blend. I'm also not one that usually suffers from tongue burn from Virginias, but this seems to be irritating my mouth slightly.

The flavor is by no means bad, but I just don't find it particularly interesting. The honey seems to add little sweetness to the Virginias and I don't really think the Virginias could hold much interest on their own.

On the whole, I would say that there is nothing really bad about this blend, just that it doesn't really appeal to me.