One of the original blends from 1848. Rich chestnut coloured leaf from Carolina combine with Virginia Brights tobaccos to produce a mild but satisfying blend. A touch of Perique gives a taste of elegance and quality. No Latakia is added.

BrandRobert McConnell
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

2.9

It is Red Virginia but it is not (IMO) superb. Wasn't a bell ringer in my book as the top dressing detracted rather than added to the natural taste of the tobacco. The Perique, while not at the forefront, does peek around the corner from time to time. This blend, for some reason, burns a little warm and you won't find much strength or flavor. A mild cased Virginia/Perique blend that some will find attractive to their taste buds, but I wasn't one of them.

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (13)

Red Virginia is a tobacco I actually like. Yes, there is a top note that reminds me of chocolate, but there seems also to be some cherry and even something floral as well. But it never really lasts more than a few minutes upon lighting up. Then, what I am smoking is Red Vas that are better, IMHO, than Wessex Classic Virginia. You see, Red VAs, on their own, are rather unidimensional, just like BUs. So a little bit of topping helps toawards enhancing the taste. RV burns fairly well and will bite if one is not careful. Overall, it is more towards the medium side in strenght than mild. As the tobacco is really on the moist side, I recommend you let dry out in the tine over a period of about 4 weeks before contemplating smoking it. Too moist, it is rather bland and tends to bite significantly (as with all moist tobaccos). I have another tin that I will let age for a year or two and revisit. Will I rebuy? Yes, I think so. It has its interest.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum; Stanwell HCA; Ser Jacopo.

Abadakus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Abadakus (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

After finishing a 100g tin, I still have a most contrary kind of feelings. On one hand, there's not much to say against this blend. It is quite decent Virginia. Perique is but slightly noticeable (though I'm a big Perique fan and maybe just too used to it). The broken flake can be rubbed to fine ribbon and burns perfectly well. Moisture was perfect, and, well... everything seemed to be just fine with it. Except the casing. Yes, I didn't expect it to be an aro, and still believe tha it was never meant to be. But still there was always present some light flavour, reminding somewhat of chocolate and somewhat of the worst and most chemical aromatics like Mac Baren Ambrosias. For me it was the thing that I didn't look for and didn't appreciate in a 'natural VaPer' kind of blend. And it quite spoiled all the experience with this German product for me. Maybe you will give it a try and come to enjoy it, but I'm not buying this again.

Similar Blends: W.O. Larsen - Old Belt Ready Rubbed, Dunhill - Royal Yacht.

pantera Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pantera (8)

Really disappointed by this I thought it was a tobacco VA/PER instead it is an ARO.It smells of cake like danish tobaccos.Buy it if you like ARO not if you like VA/PER

fred1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fred1 (4)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first meeting with VaPer. And i must say i was a little "scared" of the perique. But as many other have stated, it has very little perique in it. You can feel it but it will not take over. There is also a small taste of some red-berry-thing that i really liked. It becomes a threeway where the fine red virginia is in center and the other two plays wingmen. A perfect balance! I smoked most of the tin in an MM corncob and almost every bowl i smoked tasted perfect. I will buy this again and then i will take a 100g tin. I would like to call it a starter VaPer just because of its mild taste. The perique tickles the mouth but then the red-berry-thing comes a smoothens it all up.

Just try it and you´ll see what i mean.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (120)

Red Virginias with some Perique and a chocolate topping, this is what is described on the official website of Kohlhase, Kopp und Co in German. Considered a Scottish mixture the name is: The original Red Virginia pipe tobacco.

This tobacco is great for aromatic smokers that would want to dabble in Virginias without sacrificing too much of the flavoring. I do find that the chocolate flavor takes over most of the time. The Perique is weakly applied and adds nothing to the mixture. In conclusion, another average mixture for me. Even if the tobacco is of quality, the blending is a waste of inspiration and resources. A semi-aromatic at best or a light aromatic at worst.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (35)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

Excellent, superb tobacco. The best Virginia I have never smoked. It is without any doubt Straight Virginia. Perhaps, at the biginning, there was a hint of Perique, but now I can't find any Perique in it. I heartily recommend this tobacco to the Virginia lovers. Mark 10!

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The 'touch of Perique' is just enough to add some balance to the Red Virginia. A very nice, relaxing smoke, undemanding but (to me) very satisfying, balanced, and fairly full for its strength.

rogermugs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rogermugs (14)

Bites like a bat biting things hard. Other than that I love it. But goodness, hard to get over that.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)

The tin here is red and says "The Original RED VIRGINIA". I cannot find even a dash of perique. The scent is alcoolic, and it burns like hell. I tried smoking this blend in bigger and smaller pipes, to try to avoid overburning, but no chance. My impression is that what is making the tobacco burn like this is the flavoring! Among over 200 blends, this is probably one of the worst I have tried, and I will not keep up trying to find a pipe for this blend which will end up entirely in the garden , or to feed the chickens.

firmitas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firmitas (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This is great tobacco. The two last comments are just nuts. Chocolate topping? That is just nuts.

DaSquid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaSquid (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I first discovered this blend in 1989 when I was stationed in Bahrain, and it became my preferred blend. Then I couldn't find it. About a year ago I was going through a box of stuff that I had in storage, and low and behold there was an unopened tin that I'm guessing I bought in 1990. Damn! Good stuff, and pre-K&K. I finally smoked up the last of it about two weeks ago.

The tin I am reviewing now is the K&K version, it just came in the mail today along with a Peterson Aran XL02 pipe, which I am breaking in with the Red Virginia.

I wasn't happy with the tin, because it was a bear to open! However, the toby itself is superb. Not as good as the pre-K&K version, but superb none-the-less. The tobacco inside is primarily high-grade Red Virginia with just a bit of Perique. A wonderful berry topping has been applied, and to me it smells like a mixture of strawberry and cherry. That tin note translates to room note, and the room note gets high marks from others. However, at least for me, those notes do not translate to taste - I simply taste naturally sweet high grade Virginia with a whisper of Perique. It has wonderfully rich, but not strong, Virgina flavor (with that fine whisper of Perique). It reminds me very much of Peterson's Sherlock Holmes, only much fuller.

If you like well-behaved Virginia blends, or well-mannered Va/Pers, I think you will like this. Nuanced it ain't, but a fantastic Virginny it is. Most times I just want a rich and relaxing pipe, and if sipped slowly this blend really delivers and without any bite. I'm going to have to next smoke this is one of my pipes that is already broke it. I have complete confidence that it will be even better.

pipe row19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe row19 (25)

Interesting blend. I got flavors of hay, straw, figs, rasins, berries a very natural taste. The Perique is there but hard to detect i did get some spicy top note but not much. All in all its a good natural Va/per perfect for me

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an interesting offering.

Red VAs are richer, stronger, sweeter and spicier than regular VAs.

With a bit of Périque, this mixture becomes something any pipe smoker would like to try.

I will rebuy!

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Reading reviews from others on this blend, it seems either one hates it or loves it. I fall in the love it camp with one caveat, the tin I am smoking from is dated 06/99 so it is well aged and with a Va blend, that makes a large difference. The tin note when opening is of a sweet and tart red VA. It has a touch of spicyness if you really give it a good smell. It is a ribbon but in mostly a deep brown leaf with a little bit of darker leaf intermingled. The tin I have is just the right moisture content so no drying out was required. I loaded easily into my pipe and was very easy to light up. It does require a relight now and then but I find this true of most red VA blends as I tend to sip them slowly. After lighting up, the room note that I got was very pleasant. The taste of the smoke is very sweet, with just a touch of spicyness. The spicyness would be from the small dose of perique in it. The perique is used more as a spice and never becomes the main player in this blend. But it does add to it. The sweetness of the smoke is not just the hay like sweetness and this is supposed to have a top dressing though I can't guess what it is as I never really tasted it or smelled it. It just gives an extra punch to it. It burns nice and slow in the pipe and burns literally down to a soft grey ash and no dottle in the bottom of the pipe. I never got any of the tongue bite that some complain about, I just found it to be a very good full VA blend that I like. I have smoked five bowls in a row today and my tongue is just fine. I think that Robert McConnell blend tend to get overlooked but they make fine blends and this is one of them. I highly recommend giving it a try.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)
Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Berries and figs in the tin. Lights well and the wonderful sweet, earthy aroma of berries and baccy begin. The taste is wonderful and it just smells great. It does give one quite a bit of tongue bite...it's needs to be smoked very slowly. Wonderful Virginia blend and would have to agree with Dub, that it seems to be a semi-aromatic.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not so many times in the past I have visited The Original Red Virginia. Among the MacConnell's blends, I thought that it was the most prone to bite and the less "yielding" (the quantity of the tobacco in the tin is visibly less than one expects even being an almost fine ready rubbed, plus it smokes quite fast...).

During the time I have managed to smoke Virginias properly, and have to say that RV tends to smoke hot if rushed, but hardly bites.

As per the K&K site RV is given to be a medium strenght blend of Virginias with a pinch of Perique and a hint of aromatization (chocolate !). I frankly don't smell any chocolate both in the tin aroma and the smoke, I smell a very light berry topping, which hardly affects the smoke. The strenght does not exceed the mild/to/medium mark.

Regarding me RV is pleasantly not-so-sweet-not-so-fruity smoke, which can be experienced both contemplatively or absent mindedly. The good character of this blend is taken to light with the calmest sipping, the largest bores being the optimum.

The Perique, declaredly a pinch, does its job giving very faint notes of stewed fruits without any sourish effect.

smokeringspipedreams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokeringspipedreams (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I am not generally a lover of Virginia blends, but tried this based on Dubinthedam's recommendation on youtube. This blend may change my mind about virginias. It is quite lovely. As Dub said it has a kind of hay taste. It seems to smell of rasberry in the can, but upon smoking it is a very light taste. This is no gloopy drug store aromatic or cigar store sticky house blend aromatic. This is a very high quality tasting tin aromatic. I was reminded of my visits to my grandmothers ranch as a child, the smell of the hay there. It brought back nice memories. Nice flavor and a feeling of very high quality tobacco. If you like virginias, you will probably love this subtle blend. If you don't like virginias give this one a try. It changed my view of virginias.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (56)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I love Red Virginias but this stuff is nasty. Seems like a horrible attempt at copying Blackwoods Flake. I had some hope at first light but the terrible flavor quickly put a kibosh on that. Veteran Virginia smokers please spend your hard-earned money elsewhere. I'm doing you a favor, don't ignore. Luckily I was given this to try and didn't blow my own cash.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The very well packing and easy to lit tobacco. Leaving a clean soft ash.

Too much fruity and very mild for my taste. After finishing every bowl, I looked to smoke something else with a rich tobacco taste.

And where is the perique in this blend? I didn't detect it. Sorry, I can not recommend for real tobacco taste seekers. Maybe would be a pace for aromatic fans.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Mmmmh,... I like its aroma, taste and flavour with pleasant room note even too lingering. Opening the tin the moisture level is right but it dry out quickly, i recommend to put it on a jar. This tobacco has a declination more spicy/fruity than grassy, with an undertone linalool note that I appreciate with a glass of Trani Muscat as partner. Recommended

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

A very good blend, solid 3.5 stars. I'm tightening up on my ratings and only give 4 stars to my top 5 blends that are in my core rotation of tobaccos. Those at this date are Escudo, Penzance, University Flake, Churchill & still deciding what the 5th will be.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I love Red Virginias, But this wasn't all that great. Moist or dry, The flavor was just ok, and I found it a bit nippy. There are far better choices out there..... Just my .02

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)

I opened the tin I'm smoking now in 2007, but let it be for the most part until recently. To be honest I didn't really like it at all at first (even if I don't recall it tasting drastically different back then), but I've come to reconsider in the last month or so. It bears resemblance more to an aromatic than a straight VA, so I don't treat it as such. Its topping is on the light side, but still very noticeable. The fruity descriptions (strawberry in particular) are quite accurate to me, and it certainly makes the blend worth while. I can see why people are fond of this blend, but I also see why some are not. I guess you should give this a shot if you're primarily a VA smoker who doesn't shy away from aromatics of the subtler kind now and then.

Tin aroma is good, with wafts of fruit with vanilla overtones and a somewhat pungent (perique'ish) component (I can't say I pick up on the "spice" and roundness I usually attribute to perique while smoking it, though).

I'll miss having the mixture around now that this tin is nearing the end of its life, but I'm still undecided on whether or not to buy it again. It's good, but not outstanding (something I find to be true about most McConnell blends). Perhaps when the next break-in is due...

PipeDrummer88 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeDrummer88 (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with Dubinthedam. The description on the tin is not quite my take on this one. That said, it is a great VAper blend to have (that is if you'd even call it a VAper). There is perique in this tobacco and I do detect it, but it is very very subtle. Much more subtle than McConnell's Scottish Cake. This blend is described as Cut RR red Virginia cake with Perique and spicy top note. The top note is very mild, and i actually detect alot of the red VA's sweetness (almost fruity) over the spice in this tobacco. That said, i've only smoked this a few times so we'll see how it ages. Great so far though, 4 stars.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I just love this stuff, it has a great full VA flavor with hints of strawberries, but this aromatic casing is very natural, fruity and not at all artificial. If you like me, love a natural Virginia with something special going on, then this is one of those blends. I would call this blend a semi-aromatic, and in that genre one of the best in its class. The spiciness is very subtle as is the Perique taste....this description by McC's is quite misleading.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (27)

this starts out with a bit of an irritation on the tongue that gives the impression of a tongue bite to follow, this is apparently caused by the casing which seems to burn off within the first quarter of the bowl because this blend caused no tongue bite at all. 2nd quarter this settles down and becomes a very pleasant smoke that gets richer as it progresses, i found the final 1/4 to be the high point of the blend. the burn is clean and complete. one thing that i found with the cut is that the strands seem to be so fine that if packed just the little bit tight they would restrict the draw, i found that a loose pack was much better and allowed for a much more pleasant smoke. i tired the frank method with the blend and found it to work exceptionally well. overall i would say that this well above average for a tobacco with a flavoring.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

"a dash of Perique" is absolutely right. I hardly tasted it at all. The only hint of Perique that I got was when I happened to smell it rolling out of the bowl.

Overall to me, this was an average Virginia. It bit if smoked to fast but the taste was just okay. I enjoy Gawith's Full Virginia and Best Brown to this one.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)

My tin also says "The original RED VIRGINIA pipe tobacco" The smell from the tin is simply delicious, fruity at first but smell deeper and up come chocolate and even roast almonds/hazelnuts. I think this is a top flavour as opposed to a casing. The smoke itself is that of a virginia, light, mild with the barest hint of Perique,I would say about 1-2 %. I am now smoking this with some Perique of my own added, more zest as one would expect. I plan on keeping this in my rotation! Rob.

ElHumidor525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ElHumidor525 (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been working on a tin of this for about 2 weeks now, and this tobacco really grew on me. The first few bowls i thought were harsh, but after the third or fourth bowl, the tobacco mellowed out. This was because of the aromatic i smoked in the pipe prior to the Red Virginia. The blend description says perique, but i couldn't taste any perique. There is a topping of some kind on this tobacco, its noticeable when the seal on the tin is broken and when you sniff the tobacco but not when its being smoked. McConnell's Red Virginia is a nice everyday tobacco. I give it a strong 4 stars....

renoguard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renoguard (17)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I hope this is the right stuff. The tin I bought didn't say "superb". It just read "the original RED VIRGINIA pipe tobacco". And had a picture of an Indian and a white guy sitting and smoking.

I bought a tin of this yesterday, packed my GBD Rockroot and must say that i Enjoyed it. It reminds me a little of Davidoff's Oriental, but a little bit more "spicier". At first I thought it was toungue bite, but I think it was the perique. I will have to give i few more test puffs to give a really good analasys.

If you are wanting to explore the world of tobacco beond the regular standbys, then I would recomend trying a tin. And again, If you are ONLY into the Cpt. Black type mega sweet "Sundae-in-a-briar", then reach for the can of blue note on the next shelf.

As you can probably tell, I am by NO MEANS an expert. In my book, There are 2 kinds of tobacco. There's GOOD and there's GARBAGE. This is GOOD :-). That is only one man's opinion.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

Another McConell only available in bulk, so once more, under all reserve until I buy the tin version.

Thing is, the impression of the bulk doesn't incitate me to try the tin.

A rather small ready rubbed leaf combined with broken flake, red and dark brown, but as if somebody sweeped the floor to pick up the bits of bakkie that were not selected for the tin. Sad to say, but that was my impression.

Easy to light up-figures! but, because of the so broken format, had a tendancy to overheat and thus, bite.

Smoked kind of dry till the end, but I neber bothered finishing the pouch, I quit about half way.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

Apparently my style has changed from my original review, because I like this blend all round, including the cherry-something top dressing. The flavor is also a bit heavier than I remember it. BTW, my tin says nothing about "Red Virginia Superb". It reads: "The Original Red Virginia Pipe Tobacco," and was distributed by James B. Norman and blended in the EU. This picks up a star.

Original review from 2005: Good quality and all, but the cherry/licorice top dressing is not my style. Nice for an occassional aromatic diversion and a nice compromise if non-smokers are being considered. Real tobacco flavor is not covered by the flavorings. I wonder if this is anything like Rattray's Terry Red?

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

My sentiments regarding this tobacco were eloquently expressed by reviewer ?pxi106? below and restated here:

?This isn't a tobacco that triggers deep thoughts on the first smoke. You don't think anything the second time you try it, either. As a matter of fact, this isn't a tobacco that will ever jump into your mind. Yet you will notice yourself reaching for it almost every time you go to fill a pipe, almost unconsciously. An insidious tobacco.?

I did notice myself reaching for it more often than my other open VA blends. I wasn?t particularly impressed with it at first but after repeated bowls, it grew on me. This is a nice, pleasant and refreshing VA blend.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.0 out of 10.

latakiahaze Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
latakiahaze (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco suprised me. Seeking a Virginia break from latakia and aromatics, this came as a very pleasant suprise. I had already discovered Marlin Flake but found that, unconsciously, Red Virginia had taken over as my daily smoke of choice.

This is a light coloured, mildly sweet blend. The tin aroma is fruity but enigmatic, a slight hint of peaches or apricots? The flake is rubbed out so easy to pack. It ignites spontaneously and burns well to a light grey ash. Although I have found it can burn a little hot, this may be due to my enthusiasm rather than the tobacco itself.

The taste of mild virginia is extremely satisfying and the peppery backdraft of perique keeps the mixture interesting. It's not too spicey however but a subtle and well balanced combination that works very well.

This is one of those rare smoking experiences where I find myself instinctively planning the next pipeful. Give this one a try if you like virginias. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (20)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

My first McConnell. A fair but not outstanding VA/P blend. The taste is primarily red VA, but I do find that the perique definitely makes itself known by its peppery effects on my tongue, in the room note, and a certain nicotine kick I identify with perique. If there is indeed a topping, it has eluded me outside the tin.

The VA is not very sweet, and I agree with Tantric that the blend has a "wood like character". This gives it something of an 'earthy'tinge, which can be pleasant in terms of complexity, but also makes it a little rougher in flavor. It also makes me wonder how aged is the VA component.

The broken flakes smell delicious, and pack easily. Moisture level is about right. The blend smokes well and evenly after the charring light. The perique is prominent for the first third and then recedes in the latter half, as does the roughness mentioned above, and the VA sweetens just slightly. Overall, the flavor is fairly consistent (monotonous?). There is only a little moisture, and it burns down to a fine ash.

Certainly it is well-blended in terms of balance, but by the same token it simply seems to lack enough distinction to draw me to buy another tin. I'd rather go to Marlin Flakes for a VA, or Esoterica's Dunbar or Dorchester for a VA/P blend.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)

This is indeed a lovely VA blend, smooth and buttery. My tin was from '92 and it is way better than K&K's version. I could not detect much Périque, and I suspect some Virginia Cavendish has been added.

As usual with Robert McConnell, the leaf is of outstanding quality, and does not hurt your tongue. I could use some more nicotine, but the mildness makes this a good morning smoke for me. Red Virgina has some similarities to Old Gowrie, and is a good quality plain VA.

Goes very well with Earl Grey tea.

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Bluebottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluebottle (18)

Very pleasant to look at - this is a bright Virginia tobacco and no mistake.

Not difficult to pack due to its being semi-rubbed-out flake, but quite short. It therefore takes and holds a light quite well.

It's loathe to bite, but can get the bowl of the pipe fairly warm. It has a nice room note, although enjoying that too much was what made me warm the thing - too much ferocious sucking!

Not as nutty as many VAs, but not 'soapy' or floral. A reasonable daily smoke, but nothing special I'm afraid.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

In the tin this smells like a chocolate souffle, spiced with tobacco. It literally smells tastey enough for dessert. It is similar in all respects to some Astley tobaccos I have smoked. The smoke is a very mild, sweetened Virginia. I do not taste the perique nor the topping. Every once in a while, I will pull a tin out of the cellar just to see if aging has added anything. So far, nothing new. After I finish up the supply I have, I doubt I will buy any more. Meantime, this is not a bad smoke. It could be an all day smoke for some or an introduction to Virginias for others. It is worth a try, but do not expect that distinctive Virginia flavor nor the tang of perique. Reservedly recommended. Paddy.

Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another hand blend from Kohlhase & Kopp in Germany and quite typical of their work with toppings that enhance but don't dominate the smoke. The tin aroma was quite sweet but the taste more of natural tobacco but with a honeydew presence. I've been smoking some hi test blends recently, and I didn't sense the Perique influence. Packing, lighting, moisture content were fine and an even burn resulted in all bowl sizes. This blend was too mild for my taste as a regular but could certainly be enjoyed in the future.

chperry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chperry (9)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

The tin aroma is very inviting. The tobacco packs and lights easily. Care must be taken while smoking this blend or it will bite. However, if you keep your pace slow you will be rewarded with nice tobacco flavor and the subtle sweetness associated with red virginias. The tobacco burned clean to the bottom. I would rate this tobacco somewhat higher if not for its tendency to bite when smoked inattentively.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is not the original Red Va. of the 70's and 80's that I loved so well, but is still a formidable tobacco. The original did not have Perique, nor any topping, and was similar to Hal O' The Wynd of the same era. The new blend has a very light topping, which to my nose smells a bit like prunes, or dried apricots. (ACome to think of it, GLP Cumberland has a simiilar aroma, without topping). Quite pleasant, and does not interfere with the Virginia tobacco aroma. The blend is a short ribbon, almost enterely rubbed out from broken flake, showing a range of colors from blonde to black, but predominantly red. Packing is easy in any size bowl from a small group 3 to a large group 5. Lighting is very typical, neither too easy, nor too slow to burn. The first match wakes the flavor quickly, with the topping almost disappearing, while a tingle from the Perique mingles charmingly with the sweetness of the Virginias. A medium intensity of flavor is maintained throughout the bowl, with nice compexity and variations in flavor. The flavor changes slightly with puffing tempo, as a good Va. should. IMHO, this is a tobacco that can be enjoyed in a contemplative way, or when busy with other tasks. Not as dramatic as HOTW, or Marlin Flake, more on par with Old Gowrie

Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a subtle and graceful tobacco. Not at all aggressive, it is a refined, friendly, and to a certain extent delicate Virginia, rather easy to smoke. I do not know if McClelland had this tobacco in mind when they developed their Red Cake in bulk, but I detect a faint similarity in taste and aroma. Being both excellent tobaccos, RVS has perhaps a more consistent body, and IMO conveys a fuller, more emotional smoke. There is a certain wood like character that gives its simplicity depth, and, as it were, eloquence to its apparent plainness. This may be the result of that dash of Perique the blender purports in the tobacco's description. Non the less, RVS is a very mellow and smooth blend.

Tin aroma is inviting. I believe it is one which a new pipe smoker may find mild enough to be attractive, yet sufficiently rich to be appreciated by a seasoned pipe smoker. I ignore what the topping in this tobacco is. Yet it is applied with utter care and prudence, so that it does not interfere with the natural taste of tobacco leaf, but subtly enhances it, underlining the tangy sweetness inherent in red Virginias. RVS comes slightly moist in the tin, so a bit of airing is advisable just before packing in.

Lighting is quite simple and its burning rate is commendable. Without being a completely out of the ordinary smoke (personally, I can not think of this as a Perique containing blend) this Virginia is highly recommended as an enlivening change of pace, especially when in the mood for a slightly sweet natural smoke.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

I agree with some of the above descriptions. This is a good straight ahead virginia with a dash of perique and some ? top dressing that is mild. definitely shows some spiciness but not nearly as much as some other perique blends. The tobacco flavors come through very well. This is very good and tasty. Smooth without bite. Burns nicely and easy to load up again after being done. 4 stars

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A straight-ahead red virginia by flavor. The Perique and topping would probably be missed by someone not knowing of their presence in advance.

I found this tobacco to be a bit lacking in flavor. It also seemed to burn me a bit, in a chemical way, but as this may be my own chemistry, it won't affect my final review.

The addition of Perique gives this tobacco some of the missing flavor and richness. Without Perique, I don't see myself smoking this when there are so many superior blends to smoke.

pxi106 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pxi106 (17)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This isn't a tobacco that triggers deep thoughts on the first smoke. You don't think anything the second time you try it, either. As a matter of fact, this isn't a tobacco that will ever jump into your mind. Yet you will notice yourself reaching for it almost everytime you go to fill a pipe, almost unconsciously. An insidious tobacco.

Extremely pleasant. The light flavoring agent really takes the bite out of the virginias, and you really won't find the perique a major player at all.

Good, plain tobacco with a pleasant sweetness. An all day smoke if it had more strength--but if it had more strength it wouldn't be as pleasant.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)

If I could give stars for the quality of a blend, and not just the frequency that I choose it, beyond a doubt McConnell's Red Virginia would merit all four stars, with clusters to boot.

A medium strength, and coloured, broken flake honeydew, it has been given a wonderful and subtle topping. Whoever formulated this blend in the bygone years truly merits recognition and accolades. I feel rather grateful that it is still available, no matter where it's from.

It is not at all strong, so wouldn't be my first choice for a cold windy day. But neither is the tobacco meek, counting on mere additives to save the day. Rather it is subtle, sure of itself, and if I had to choose one word to describe it, "clear" would be it. I'm ashamed to admit that the perique doesn't jump out...has too much "Escudo" ruined me?

It is not always my first pick, but whenever I light a bowl of this blend I think to myself: "this is why I smoke a pipe!"