A touch of this will add spice to any blend.

BrandRobert McConnell
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
ContentsPerique
Strength
Strong
None Detected, Medium
Taste
Strong
2.3
Mike10 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike10 (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Although this is an enjoyable, fairly rich and flavorful version of Perique substitute, you can tell upon opening the tin that it isn't authentic (or entirely authentic) perique. It comes in thick, crinkly ribbons of not entirely uniform shades ranging from tawny amber to dark brown. Still, it has a wonderful aroma and is nicely packaged, but if you want authentic perique the obvious choice is "McClelland Blending Perique" (from their excellent and reliable "Tinned Blenders" line).

Conversely, is nice to blend with if you know what to expect. It has a rich, almost creamy/velvety feel and adds a taste that might be more easily enjoyable for those not ready to use St.James Perique for their own blends. Also, I find its nicotine potency a little less likely to overwhelm. It makes a nice sort of VaPer component, especially in taming some stronger Virginian bright tobaccos that might create a bit of a 'sharp' or overwhelming blend, especially in conjunction with an authentic Perique. Note that it's hard to assign this tobacco a really accurate room note because its aroma it is, by definition, blended with other components.

I haven't included a review of the McClelland perique for the simple reason that theirs "is what it is", nor have I listed the McClelland's under "similar to" because it is similar only in taste and not in actual species.

Pipe Used: meerschaum, Stanwell, Comoy

Age When Smoked: unkown

Purchased From: online

Similar Blends: unsure.

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Strong Medium Full Strong

THIS IS NOT PERIQUE. As far as I know Perique this is not one of them....... But is a strong perique like tobacco and almost interesting one. Take care, is very moist and you should left a little for a better taste. Anyway is not a regular pipe tobacco and you should act accordingly.

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (17)
Strong Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I ordered three tins of this. If it isn't real Perique as others have noted then it is a very close clone. I have "real perique" from some years ago in my collection, a very small amount but I compared this to the McConnell's Perique and found it very similar in taste. The nicotine kick was slightly less. It blends well with a variety of other pure tobaccos. Burns clean and dry, do tongue bite(even straight). Cavendish with a pinch of this is a fine smoke in itself. I do recommend this to all Perique fans nevertheless.

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I cannot recommend this as it's description says Perique. It is by all means a good processed green river Burley, but Perique it most certainly is not.

Blends well with golden VA's though, but then I'd really go for some pure Burley instead.

How do they get away with this stuff?

As a fake perique this gets one star and I can't recommend it. As a strong tobacco to blend with lesser blends (lesser in strength), this works well...so three stars for that. But again, This is not perique and I'm upset that I didn't follow my gut and get McClelland perique.

Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This is indeed fake perique and does not produce the same effect as the real stuff. McClellend's perique is supposedly the real stuff that they have had in stock for some time now. This shares some characteristics of perique, but its not to my liking and it is not nearly as full flavored or as aromatic. Nicotine content is less as well.

maynard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maynard (18)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Strong

I blended a small batch of Virgina, Perique, and Lataka, just for couple bowls, man, that peppery feeling you get in your nose, throat, and maybe other parts, is unreal, go easy, the tin says it could be smoke alone, I found a pinch is alot, But I like it.

Cosmoline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cosmoline (13)
Very Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Very Strong

From my research, this is NOT the real stuff from St. James Parish but is a knockoff. I'm checking on this now to confirm it.

Blackie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackie (16)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

The is my favorite brand of blending Perique. It is packed in a tin, and when opened the paper packing is damp and stained with the exuded moisture of the tobacco. The cut is not a gind or a chop, but thin ribbons, like Dunhill London.

It has the smell of pickled fruitcake (which, in this case is good) but despite the moist packaging, the tobacco is not goopy.

This has been a regular addition to many a tobacco that has started to become a little boring or one dimensional. If I went into details, I might be branded as a heretic, so I will practice a little rare forbearance. Because Perique has been regularly described as a background condiment however, I do not find it too terribly wrong to mix a little in with some of the great English and Virgina brands of the world (if you get my drift). Perique, at least in my book, is a fantastic background note and is like salt and pepper, as opposed to ketchup and mustard.

This is a fine brand of an important blending leaf, and IMHO, should be around to "season" other tobacco as the smoker sees fit.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

As good as fake Perique (which is pretty much all you can get these days) can get. It does what you expect it to do.