Best Syrian tobacco for adding "oomph" to a blend.

BrandRobert McConnell

3.6
Xious Sonenberg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xious Sonenberg (9)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

This blending leaf from McConnell is superb indeed; essentially, the same as Lane's Syrian blending Latakia, which is no longer available, it will give an amateur an appreciation of modern Syrian complexion.

I use this both for occasional blending, but mostly to enjoy by itself in a long-stem clay. The burn is amazingly cool, smooth and even, while the flavour is sweet, spicy, slightly smokey and perfume-y.

This is the same leaf that K&K use in most of their English blends, so if you enjoy those, you will love this. It is also useful in giving any K&K blend an additional kick of Latakia, without meddling with it too much, as this will merge smoothly into the mixture.

Thankfully, this is not the leaf made using conifers, and probably uses a bit of Syrian oak with some other herbs, as it does not have an identical note as the old-guard leaf used in No. 759 or vintage Nightcap. Still, it is a very delicious treat, and if you are a Latakia lover, you cannot pass up the opportunity to enjoy it, either straight or in your own blends.

It is also good for adding dimension into C&D English mixtures, and if you liked 'Raven's Wing' it is possible to replicate it using C&D VAs, C&D Izmir, C&D Cyprian Latakia and this leaf.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (25)

This is the most interesting Pure Latakia I had pleasure to try, real Syrian latakia this is, pure latakia, with nothing in common with a lot of Latakias out there, especially those included in a whole variety of blends, english blends or supposed balkans. You can easily tell Syrian from Cyprian by the color that's a little blackier on the Cyprus side than Syrian and from flavour, deeply more smokey and earthy in Syrian one. And after all...when you smoke it you feel smokiness & sweetness roar in your pipe in continue competition and that's when you know you puffin' some serious Syrian bomb. Mild in strength as it has to be and honest on the flavour side, acting a role that allows you to put it in bigger percentuals among VAs for a good mixture or even, if you turn out to be a lunatic like me, smoke it pure. Of course remember, if you decide to have it pure, that you'll end up having a little dry mouth and throat and you may be in trouble keepin' it lit...just a little amount of macedonian treasures may solve this...( or burley, that would be better, but since I'm not a burley lover, except for Kentucky smoke cured, I rather not advice something like that). Straight, very recommended.

thomasanswered Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thomasanswered (11)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

According to the tin, this is the "best Syrian tobacco for blending." I will go further by saying that this is the best Syrian for smoking without qualification, without addition. The pure, intense, salty wonderful that only Syrian Latakia can supply, which Robert McConnell is providing unadulterated. Certainly will improve any English blend, but one will likely crave it for itself.

VellumWhite Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VellumWhite (3)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

This certainly has an ample tin and room note. What else can be expected from Latakia? It was not born to behave itself and it does not need to stand up to be noticed! I have never smoked Latakia straight until now and I can see how this Syrian is different-no brooding here.My Savinelli Baronet Breuyre 315 EX Prince was up to it much more than I was, but such is exploration- all in the name of 'science'?

There is so much bluish smoke,an instant gratification of density and weighty nicotine.There is also little to no sweetness here,instead my mid-palate is bombarded with spice. There too, the smoke gravitates with a lot of traction. In small way, it is enjoyable and it is a stark counterpoint to the mouth filling richness and persistent finish. Perhaps it is to remind me that I am not supposed to be doing this?

A bowl full of Robert McConnell's Pure Latakia is a very real and humbling(?)experience for me.In the future, I may wander down this path again but I believe this has already created an indelible memory.Albeit stern,this is a first rate tobacco and I do recommend keeping some around 'for perspective'.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

Now that's a true Latakia kick, it is not as sweet and oliy as Stanislaw Pure Latakia, but it is a very nice tobacco. I'll most probably use it for blending. Although, I smoked this in a bar (In my country we can smoke in 99% of the Bars,Pubs and Restaurants, how cool is that :))) ), but I almost kicked out the cigarette smokers with the smell of my pipe, the waiter opened a window fully and everyone seemed to count the minutes till I'd finish the pipe. So most probably I'll wait for spring and smoke it only outside. Tolerable? for the Latakia maniacs maybe for the rest of the world, how can I put this: "Yearning for some loneliness?smoke McConnell Pure Latakia?"

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

It's really different from Cyprian, which I prefer. The taste is a bit sour, no sweetness.

Meanwhile, I'm adding it to otherwise dull mixes. Been here, done this, will not buy more. Too much discomfort. It's much easier not to buy dull mixes :)

ScottishWildcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ScottishWildcat (2)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I am a "Latakia lunatic" and hence smoke this one as is. Nice way to introduce some change in a smoking spectrum dominated by Latakia blends anyway (Dunhill SM, MM965 and NC - Ashton Artisan's Blend etc).

pipesmoker87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker87 (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Strong

This is indeed best Latakia from Syria. Strangely, as I'm a Latakia lover, I bought it for smoking it pure. Its taste is full, smoky and creamy and surprisingly it's not as strong as you may expect. It's jet-black in the tin and it lights just beautifully and produces almost no moisture as you proceed. This is really pure tobacco. It has a certain, nice level of nuances, but smoking it purely is, in my opinion, not as fine as smoking pure Virginia, which I love. Recommended only for Latakia lunatics, for this is really something special. Be careful if you want to use this tobacco in it's original purpose, blending! Too much of it might ruin everything. The manufacturers of great blends know what they do...

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Mild Strong Full Unnoticeable

Just one word : handsome !!!

But ... You really have to love latakia. Otherwise this tobacco can be boring.

Latakia. I am not a Latakia fanatic; for all I know there are better ones out there. I have had my tin for a while and dip into it once in a while for blending.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Excellent for blending. You can try this straight, but it makes for a rather boring smoke.

I prefer Cyprian Latakia for blending, but this is a great tobacco nevertheless.

R.Morris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
R.Morris (5)

This stuff is great. Add a small amount to any blend=will bump it up. 4 stars

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)

Yes sir, just as advertised. Just sprinkle some in to add 1-2 stars to any decent blend. I especially liked this in otherwise weak Oriental blends like Dunhill's London Mixture. I must be a disciple because I actually liked this smoked straight as well.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

Quality latakia, used mainly to improve purchased tins I don't like. RMcC's Latk accomplishes its mission well and then some. Creamy, smooth and the quality expected from K+K.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Reading the New Annotated Sherlock Holmes I came across a note that stated that cigarettes were introduced to the west by Russian soldiers smoking cigarettes filled with Latakia. (For the scholarly, it is note 15 on page 1108 of The New Sherlock Holmes, edited with notes by Leslie S. Klinger, Norton, 2006.)

Having opened a tin of Pure Latakia to add spine to a weak blend, I borrowed a friend`s roll-your-own apparatus, and made myself a pure latakia cigarette. Well, It is an experience worth having once. The taste was resinous burnt cork, but the aroma was heavenly! The family has, over the years, come to love the scent of Latakia, so there were no brickbats but - if you will forgive the horrible pun - only bouquets.

It is worth experimenting with Syrian and Cyprian Latakia in pure form, just to appreciate the difference.

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

This was the first latakia I tried, and I was advised at the time by the tobacconist to use it only to spice up my dullest tobbacos, but to never smoke it all by itself, not only because it was too strong, but because it gets tiresome and monotone after a while. He was so right! Now I love the funky smell I get when opening the tin, and I love the distinctive smoky flavour it gives to my tobaccos. A great way to become accustomed to Latakias. Now, I couldn't keep smoking only latakia mixes, since I adore aromatics. But for a change of pace or when you need something stronger, I recommend this even to hardcore aromatic smokers as a way to approach more complex tobaccos.

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This tobacco is not intended as a stand-alone smoke. Even so, curiosity drove me to smoke it on its own. I feared that it would be EXTREMELY strong but it was definitely not. It has a very distinctive, spicy taste unmistakably 'Latakia' - that elusive taste in English mixes which sometimes is overwhelming sometimes just noticeable.

But it is not very strong in nicotine or any other way. In fact I got bored after half the pipe, and did not even bother to finish it because of the monotony of the thing.

However, this is JUST the thing that you need for blending your own mixes, or add that extra sting to otherwise bland mixes. As such, it is a five-star baccy!

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is Latakia. What more is there to say? Works well as a blending tobacco.