Black Bogie, cooked longer than Brown Bogie, makes this milder with a smoky aroma. A true old fashioned stout smoke with a good strength suiting the more experienced pipe smoker.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth
CutRope
Strength
Extremely Strong
Taste
Very Full, Overwhelming
1.5
AJS2323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AJS2323 (5)
Extremely Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

Very strong and overwhelming for my level of pipe smoking. It can be a little difficult to prepare as the coil when rubbed out create big bits of essential leaf. The flavour was kind of nice but I struggled to keep it lit and I didn’t let it dry properly before hand.

I will leave this in the cellar for a little while before trying it again, I will let my experience develop. Not as horrendous as some opinions but experience is needed so you can fully appreciate the smoke.

The ghosting is odd and doesn’t smell great. I used a budget basket briar pipe to start, no brand and I was lucky as that pipe couldn’t be used again. Try this in a cob first and then go to briar.... in my opinion of course

Pipe Used: Corn cob

Purchased From: My smoking shop

Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Gawith Hoggarth - Kendal Black Bogie.

Strong!! When I opened the pouch I noticed that very pungent, almost acrid Virginia smell that is usually present in the stronger GH' ropes. It needs a fair amount of drying, when I sliced my first coins they felt a bit tacky so I had to put them aside to allow his to decrease.

It burns well leaving a pure white ash and the smoke is fairly cool with no tongue bite. Sadly I can't be so positive about the taste. There is the flavour of Virginia but this is somewhat concealed by a harsh, bitterness. I think the area that this is best suited to is nicotine satisfaction. To me (who doesn't smoke for N) that seems the only feasible reason for wanting to smoke this. There isn't much of an interesting character to the taste, that is, of course, unless you are intrigued to try something harsh and bitter!

This would, without a doubt, be very good for a nicotine smoker but it doesn't do much for me. One star.

Pipe Used: Davorin Denovic Morta