Lane's 125th Anniversary blend celebrates a huge milestone in the business entity's success and proffers equal amounts of quality Virginia and Bright Virginia tobaccos are blended with Virginia Flake and a hint of Perique to give a subtle yet detectable spice to the sweetness of the Virginia.

Notes: Released 2015

Packaging1.75oz tin or bulk
Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Lane Limited - 125th Anniversary (bulk).

This came free with an order from Smokingpipes.com, and I can't complain, it's a very good smoke. If a blend's a free bonus I don't mind if it's rank, it hasn't cost me anything! But other times, like this, I could see myself ordering a good quantity of it to cellar.

The aroma from the pouch carries a sort of Christmas pudding type note, this carries over into the smoke: fruit and some honey/sugar. It doesn't seem steadfastly aromatic, but flavoured nevertheless. The Perique tastes very high quality: this works wonders with the fruitiness, and is possibly partly responsible for a proportion of it. I don't get much of the brighter Virginia coming through, there's not too many citrus/grass notes, I get a lot more of the sweeter fruit notes.

To me, the fruity qualities dominate the first half, but after some time a sort of bready/doughy flavour comes over: fresh bread..... yum! It tastes like it's good for your soul, LOL!

The burn's very good from 125th, even if it can be a little warm, it's very even and independent. And despite the smoke carrying a slight flavour, it doesn't bite any.

Finally, the room-note's just as pleasant as the flavour, and the nicotine's about mild to medium.

Very highly recommended:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Harp #03

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Freebie with Smokingpipes.com order

JimInks (2028)

The sweet Virginias are citrusy, fairly grassy and hay-like with a light earth note, and dominates the blend. The perique is a minor component, offering just a hint of spice to go along with a little fig and raisin taste. There’s a fruitiness that comes from a very mild topping from which I sense a little apricot. The tobacco is fairly dry and you may wish to hydrate it a mite, depending on your personal preference. Low on nicotine and won't bite or get harsh. Burns well, requires few relights, and the flavor is consistent and a little creamy to the finish. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. It would be hard to recommend it to an initial adventurer into the VaPer world only because the perique content isn’t high enough to give a fair take on what a VaPer can taste like. It’s enjoyable enough to puff on and sweet enough to satisfy your craving for a pleasant all day smoke, but lacks the depth to be more than a mindless work and play smoke when compared to other VaPers on the market. Two and a half stars.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a nice tasting blend. There's a very mild topping here and it's not real easy to tell what's natural and what isn't. I think the topping is honey, but I might be wrong. Anyway, there are notes of sweet hay and honey and a mild toasty Cavendish note. The Perique adds just a touch of figs and spice. This is very well done.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in taste. Very mild in flavoring. This is the bulk version and it comes at the perfect moisture level. Burns well. I used only cobs here because they bring out the flavor of Bright Virginias better than anything else.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple, Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (41)

I approached this tobacco with a slight trepidation due to Lane being renowned for their aromatics, not necessarily their non-aros.

The tin note is hay-like with a slight wiff of dried fruit. The light revealed a delicious bouquet of creamy smoke with a nice underlying sweetness and a touch of spice. It packs and burns perfectly right out of the tin. It is also very forgiving in terms of smoking cadence. I smoked it the day it arrived at my brick and mortar, so I'm excited to see what happens with some age on it.

It is one of the best new Virginias to come on the market. I am blown away in fact. Bonus- this stuff comes in bulk. Well done Lane. Definitely recommended for bright Virginia lovers.

Side note- this would be an excellent candidate for buying in bulk and aging in mason jars, which I full well intend to do. I suspect this stuff could reach 4 star caliber with some time on it.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: brand new tin

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (86)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

The tin note has a grassy and somewhat yeasty aroma; a little bit oat-like, and it carries into the taste of the smoke.

It is a natural (non-aromatic) blend with a very smooth, mild, and delicate vegetable-like taste, with traces of a nut flavor. No sharp, piquant or "hot" Virginia characteristics here. There are some herbal flavors to play with -- almost like an Oriental blend. By and large it is just an honest tobacco flavor with good smoke volume and mouth feel.

Easy lighting, cool smoking, no bite and no gurgle. This is not a Perique-forward blend. Here the Perique, though delectable, is merely an amendment to the blend.

Similar Blends: almost a clone of Germain Royal Jersey Perique Mixture and D&R Rimboché S.J.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (294)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

Not often have I been impressed by a new blend to the point where I am bordering on shocked. That's what I was when I packed a bowl of 125 sitting in my B&M's lounge. I lit the bowl, tamped and re lit. Boy o boy! I walked back over to the jar bewildered that it indeed is made by Lane! A very respectable VaPer in the Hay, Grassy variety as opposed to my favorite: St. James Woods which has that Sweet and Sour Sauce flavor, nowhere near a powerhouse and light on Nicotine. 125 has very bright Virginias in various shades of yellow and orange with some darker leaf. Tin aroma is very neutral, nothing musty or fermenty (made up that word) and actually very refreshing! A perfect smoke for a hot summer day, this is not (IMHO) a VaPer I would smoke in January with snow trapping me indoors. The Perique is very lightly applied and nicely balances the Virginia. I am so very proud of Lane for producing this blend and I intend to purchase several tins to age for a year or two. I can see us being very good friends but the kind of friends that one see's every year at summer camp since it will be my summer VaPer leaving St. James Woods as my winter VaPer of choice. A must try as the price is so low compared to the value and I truly believe given a few years will be magnificent!

michaelc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michaelc (35)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am presently finishing my first bowl of this tobacco and I find it to pleasantly sweet with a little spiciness. It didn't bite and the flavor was fairly consistent from first light to the last puff of smoke. Truly the Virginians are the star of this show. It is a mild smoke and the Perique is very subtle. I have several other VaPers that have more power to them, but this is a nice mild relaxing smoke. I smoked it straight from a fresh tin that arrived today from P&C and it was good to go as soon as it was opened. It packed well and I only relit once about half way down. It burned to a fine ash and leaves a pleasant aftertaste. I'll most likely be buying more in the future.

Pipe Used: Italian bent billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the can

CarlC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CarlC (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

At first light,this was an upscale version of Half&Half to my olfactory senses.After the second light,the Half&Half shock wore off,and a smooth,but full bodied flavor set in, with a little perique in the background.I don't know what it is like straight out of a sealed tin,but the humidity level of my pipe show sample was perfect,with no gurgling in the pipe after 3/4 of a bowl.

Pipe Used: K&P 1905 Retro Billiard w/military stem

Age When Smoked: Not Known

Purchased From: Sample at the NY pipe show

Similar Blends: Different from all my other tobaccos.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (76)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This was included in a bulk sampler from P&C, and truth be told, I didn't know what to expect when I first opened the pouch. Lots of yellow gold to tan colored ribbon, and intense grass/hay aroma that puts Gawith FVF to shame. Seems rather on the dry side, too. I must admit, I'm not one to sing Lane's praises, though I'm never without some old standby 1Q or RLP6. So I approached with some doubt.

At first light I'm blown away! This is like no other VaPer in my rotation, Elizabethan mixture being a favorite. If I had to compare, it's closer to Orlik GS with a tad more kick, or maybe Stokkebye LTF with a perique twist. Plenty of reviewers have covered the flavor profile...I have nothing new to add. With an even and cool burn, it throws a nasal punch of flavor. Very pleasant, very mild sweetness with enough peppery perique to keep me interested. This is more of an all day VaPer in my opinion. Not spectacular enough to make my top lists, but definitely worth a try. With some age, this may unseat Orlik GS from its throne. Very well done Lane!

Pipe Used: MM cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

TwelveAMnTX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TwelveAMnTX (27)

Lane's 125th Anniversary was my 1st taste of a Va/Per tobacco. I was hesitant to try it at first, since I'm used to smoking aromatics mainly & a couple non-aromatics. I'm glad I got a sample from the Lane rep at a pipe show at a local B&M a couple months ago. I had no idea what I had been missing up until then. I am new to Va/Per blends, but I know this tobacco was a very good mild introduction to perique. I have also tried MM Country Gentleman & will be trying more Va/Per blends for sure.

The description of the tobacco in the header is pretty much spot on. The Virginia tobaccos are the star of this show with the perique playing a supporting/contributing role. From the bag it's a fairly dry blend with the smell of a sweet grass/hay field with just a touch of plum or figgy perique scent that grabs your nose. I didn't have a problem smoking the whole bowl most of the time on the 1st or 2nd light. The smoke is a very smooth creamy tasting flavor with just a hint of peppery spice to it, a very enjoyable & satisfying smoke.

I don't know enough about Va/Per's yet to give it 4 stars, but I will recommend it every chance I get to someone looking to try one. It's available in bulk, so you can get 1oz if you're just looking to try a mild Va/Per tobacco. Please give this one a try, you will be glad you did! It will open up a whole new world of tobacco pleasure & start you on your Va/Per journey.

Pipe Used: MM Legend & Diplomat cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh to couple weeks

Purchased From: rep freebie at a local B&M pipe show

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (36)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

Definitely one of the better offerings from Lane Ltd. I've admittedly overlooked a lot of their offerings in the past. It's a decent Virginia blend out of the tin. Buy a few and lose them in the cabinet for a few years and I'll bet some real magic happens.

Pipe Used: Tony Warner poker

Age When Smoked: 1 month - minimal

Col. Stuffinpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Col. Stuffinpuff (14)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very light and honey sweet. This has more mouth feel than flavor, perhaps, but the flavor that it does have is pleasant.

I've been aging it for half a year or so, as it didn't offer much when fresh.

There's perique in here?

Age When Smoked: 6~ months?

Purchased From: Gratis from smokingpipes.com

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

125th Anniversary is composed of mainly bright Virginias that are more on the hay side of things. The Perique isn’t added with a strong hand and given that it isn’t listed, I could be wrong, but I occasionally get a whiff of Burley in this blend. It is very mildly spicy with no bite and has enough sweet topping to be almost an aromatic to my taste. It definitely isn’t a VaPer that one would find from Solani, Escudo, McClelland etc, etc. It would make for an all day, set it and forget it type smoke. Overall, there are just too many VaPers on the market of higher quality that I wouldn’t seek this one out.

Jesperff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jesperff (3)

This review is based on 2oz in a ziplock, the tinned version may be different.

I had ordered a sample to see if this one could get into my regular rotation - the bulk price is certainly attractive. The aroma in the bag was pleasant and very very 'fresh', almost like grass before it dries out to hay. Also a slightly sweet aroma that I can't really name.

Its a ribbon cut with colours from golden to medium brown. Hard to find the modest amount of perique.

So I packed and lit up. A very fresh taste that I liked. But OMG how it bit me, as bad as anything I have ever tried! Slow puffing made it tolerable but certainly not tongue friendly. The next bowl was the same and I became suspicious--why would anyone make such a hostile blend? The tobacco had been to the dry side so I added a few drops of water to the remaining tobacco and tried again next day. What a difference that made, now it was a lot more friendly and smooth blend, still with the grassy taste and the unidentified topping. Not much development through a bowl, it remained the same all the way to the bottom and left very little dottle. A pleasant smoke.

The tobacco is not very good fresh but I think it has a lot of potential after aging. Maybe also by adding a bit of fuller va to give it body and then aging for several months, if not years.

Not very recommended as is (though OK if not too dry) but good enough to make me buy a lb for aging. So I'll give it two stars fresh and properly hydrated and expect it will gain another star at the end of the year.

Pipe Used: Briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh (the tobacco, not me)

Purchased From: Internet

SmokinChick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokinChick (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Upon opening the bag of Lane Limited 125th Anniversary I happily embraced the earthy notes coming from the bag. It almost smelt of fresh cut hay. The blend sustained earthy notes throughout the entire smoke. Initially I could smell a sweet casing but I cant put my finger on exactly what it is, it is almost a honey flavor.The blend as a whole is very mild and super light on the palate. The perique is almost non existent. Over all the blend is good, with ageing it certainly has potential.

Pipe Used: Viking Classic

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (58)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Not a terrible blend, just a little weak in both Virginias and Perique. It is mild in strength and flavor. There are many many other Va Pers out there that give me more. Other that that, it is far from horrible. I am unlikely to buy more, but I will finish what I have.

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (105)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This blend is a Virginia that requires some age. The perique is there, so while I do not have any doubts on the construction of the blend., an additional six months to a year of age will this tobacco. I enjoyed smoking it, but I have soked other Vapers that are better. I will re sample 6 months from now.