Sitting between City Park Avenue and Bayou Metairie lies the Old Grove, home to ancient, moss-covered oaks and many more of New Orleans' oldest trees. Worthy of any cellar, this Cellar Series blend, a complex, ribbon-cut mixture, combines bright and red Virginias, dark Burley, Katerini Turkish, black Cavendish, and granulated Perique together with a subtle pomegranate topping to create a blend that will age as gracefully as the old grove itsel

Blended ByCornell & Diehl
2.2
nkulk8r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nkulk8r (3)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I love a lot of what C&D turns out, but I’m having a hard time figuring this blend out. When I read the description of this blend on smokingpipes.com, it sounded really enticing – but it didn’t say anything anywhere about being an aromatic – though the “subtle pomegranate topping” should have tipped me off . . .

“Subtle pomegranate topping”? I know what a pomegranate is – and I drink a lot of Pom juice – but my Pom juice doesn’t really smell the way this stuff does when you open the tin. Don’t get me wrong – I love the tin note – a lively, zesty, sweet, tangy, almost indescribable fruitiness that is unlike any other tobacco I’ve encountered. But you know right away it’s an aro once you light up.

The “subtle pomegranate topping” keeps me from distinguishing the Virginias from the Burley or the Turkish to the Cavendish or even the Perique – the topping just over-powers everything. (It also tends to burn a little hot because of the topping). And the topping doesn’t really taste the way of the tin note. The closest thing that came to my mind – and this is not to discourage anyone from trying Old Grove – but it tasted more like a urinal cake smells.

The other thing that had me scratching my head was, “Why would you make a heavily topped aro part of your ‘Cellar Series’”? Is this aromatic going to be the exception to the rule, one that actually improves with age? Perhaps the blender knows something that I don’t, so, I’ll have to try this blend again in 5 years to see if it actually improves with age (it is part of their “Cellar Series” after all).

Pipe Used: Peterson 2013 POTY; Peterson Lovat

Age When Smoked: Tins dated 04/07/15

Similar Blends: Nothing I have encountered yet..

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (110)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I seem to be on a run of buying tobacco collections where the seller has included three or four recently opened tins, which is okay with me as I get to try them right away. The most recent had four open tins and this blend, C&D Old Grove, was one of them and the first that I tried. I was impressed with the ingredients list but somewhat confused by the pomegranate topping, as I had never seen or heard of it's use in tobacco blending. The blend made a nice visual presentation in the tin and the fruity topping was relatively strong. That was the end of anything that could be labeled as strong about this blend. The smoking aroma and taste were disappointingly tepid and very middle of the road all the way down the bowl. My conclusion: Old Grove is a weak pipe blend and it's weakness limits how much one can enjoy it. C&D are famous for their stiff back boned blends and this one joins at least two others with the same weakish and top of the bell shaped curve strengths: Rocking Chair and Crooked Lane. As to the discussion on the label predicting a positive outcome for ten to fifteen years of cellaring, my tin of Rocking Chair was twelve years old when I opened and reviewed it and it wasn't any better or stronger than newer tins that had been reviewed already. In fact, it has been my experience that aging of pipe blends yields a softer smoke than when they are younger. Next I tried to use Old Grove in blending but that didn't produce anything better. All in all, a blend with some possibilities but rather limited scope and I give it a limited recommendation with two stars.

Pipe Used: Michael Parks billiard (2006 NASPC pipe)

Age When Smoked: current

Purchased From: another pipe smoker

Similar Blends: This blend is similar to two other C&D blends I have smoked and reviewed; Rocking Chair and Crooked Lane (minus the topping on both)..

Mhulsey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mhulsey (35)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

Old Grove is an aromatic in Cornell and Diehl’s new cellar series and for some, this may be the best blend in the series fresh from the tin. For me however, it was a hard blend to dissect due to the heavy topping that has been applied to the blend. Popping the lid off of a sealed tin dated 4/15, I am greeted with a wonderfully fruity, red wine like aroma. It is obvious while looking at the tobacco that it is of high quality, although I did find one small twiggy or woody bit mixed in with the tobacco in the tin. The tin note is rather enticing, with the aromas of fruit, said to be pomegranate, being the major player. As for the Virginia, there is a very faint or subtle sweetness that can be smelled in the tin, but the aroma is hard to detect over the fruit topping. As for the other tobaccos, they are lost as well, and I have yet to be able to identify them in the tin note. The moisture level of this particular tin is spot on perfect and there was no drying time needed before being able to smoke, however I have gotten some tins that needed to be set aside for quite some time due to being overly moist. I suspect that the moisture level is intentional as the cellar series of tobaccos are intended to be aged and be at their best in ten to fifteen years. Due to the cut of the tobacco and the moisture level of this particular tin, it is easy to pack and readily takes a flame. Upon lighting, the first flavors that I notice come from the Virginia and they are slightly grassy almost tea like, but they are quickly overtaken by the sweet fruitlike topping that has been applied to the tobacco. The topping is rather heavy in this particular tin and it makes it very difficult to detect the natural flavors of the tobaccos. As for burn characteristics, I did not have to tend this blend at all, and when finished, the tobacco burned down to a fine white powdery ash which made cleaning the pipe rather simple, only requiring that I run a pipe cleaner through the stem and around the inside of the bowl to remove any remaining moisture. As for the room note, those around me made mention that the tobacco smelled very sweet, so I take that to be pleasant to tolerable. Overall, I have had a hard time dissecting this blend, but I expect that there are some that would really enjoy this blend due to the sweetness and fruity flavor. I can only imagine what it will continue to become with ten years or more of age. With this in mind, I purchased a few more tins so that I could smoke a tin now, and cellar several, comparing my notes later on down the road. I would recommend this blend to anyone who enjoys a very sweet aromatic.

Pipe Used: Italian Briar

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (175)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Picked this up on a lark just to give it a whirl since this mixture is not the usual aromatic concoction. The tin note and taste are not overpowering, which is a good thing. The mixer of this had a restrained hand on the flavoring of this fine blend. It works quite well with the very different tobaccos used here. The only down side to this is there could be a bit more nicotine in this one. But one can't have everything. All in all, not a bad edition to the C&D collection. Recommended.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (155)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

I cannot believe the bad reviews this is getting. I liked it. It has a nice aromatic topping that I can't quite place. However, it is not too much of an aromatic. Good blend with little to no bite.