As the name suggests, this is predominantly a mixture of Turkish, Syrian and Cypriot - including Eastern Mediterranean - bright tobaccos. Selected small leaves from the hills of Macedonia and the Levant, along with Bright Leaf of Carolina and Red Old Belt of Virginia are rested for a week in order to merge the flavors. Then Carolina Black Cavendish is added, and the entire mixture is stored loosely until it is needed.

Notes: Produced for the first time in early 1848, it is one of our earliest mixtures. Our Oriental complicated mixture. The effort required to produce this tobacco has an impact on smoking. The addition of a touch of perique gives added quality.

BrandRobert McConnell
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
Blend TypeBalkan
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging50 grams tin, 100 grams tin
Strength
Taste

It is clearly not "cool" in the pipe smoking community to enjoy a blend that gets fairly consistent low ratings on this site. While I find that kind of blind faith alternately bemusing and disconcerting, I have the cure for at least one blend. If you find it uncool to like Rattrays Highland Targe because of its low ratings, try this one instead. Same flavor profile, although this one is a hair more robust. Or I should say, the flavor comes to me a bit quicker. I have to commend the blender on his use of the latakia condiment, which this blend does indeed contain... the apparent debate has been settled, at least to my satisfaction :). This is primarily an oriental blend with virginia in the sidecar and latakia balancing carefully to the rear. Therefore, latakia hounds should be warned that their favorite condiment is indeed just a condiment here.

The tin nose is dark and musty but the flavor is clear and clean. All the tobaccos play well together but the oriental is clearly in the lead, hence the name of this one is well-conceived. The flavors are a bit more assertive than in the Rattrays but other than that, the two taste and smoke very much alike. HT may be somewhat more complex, but this is no one-trick pony. The variations are just a bit more subtle while the overall flavor is just a hair more bold. I find this to be an excellent example of an oriental-forward tobacco and I'm surprised that I never smoked this one in the "good old days". I plan to correct that immediately, as more tins are headed to my cellar. Highly recommended to those who enjoy blends that unlock their secrets gently and on their own timetable.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (78)

Virginia/Oriental blends are among my favorite, and Oriental may be the best of the lot. Upon opening the tin, a musty, sweet spicy smell hits you, like the smell of fresh dirt and hay and barnyard....in a very good way. The Virginias are figgy sweet, and dark. The Orientals (I'll guess) are Macedonian, as they have the milder musty, sweet, nutty aroma and are less sharp than Smyrna/Izmir type so prevalent. The Latakia is very soft and in very limited quantity, only serving to augment the other tobaccos, not even acting as a third player. The taste is sweet, nutty, bright and warm, I'm always reminded of chestnuts when I smoke this. This and Presbyterian represent the softer side of Oriental blends, as opposed to the sharper, drier profiles of Red Rapparee, Sobranie white, Durbar, Rajah's Court, etc. It is an amazing leaf, Oriental, that can be so many different things

Pipe Used: Colossal Lovat, Rinaldo bulldog

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Presbyterian Mixture.

Deimitori Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Deimitori (11)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've smoked two bowls of this good tobacco, the quantity supplied to me of our forum meeting (Hellenic Pipe Smokers Forum) in October 2012.

My view is that this is a very good and valuable tobacco. Oriental tobaccos have the dominant role with flavors between sweet and spicy, it has creamy texture and I taste nice taste of raisins, a taste of "earth", slightly spicy spices and a nostalgic scent of old wood shop.

Virginia simply serves as a basis in which Orientals are "dancing" their own delicately scented complex dance. The Black Cavendish looks like the link that connects the base (Virginia) to the top (Oriental) giving a very nice and interesting final smoking result. A successful mixture that is not an one-dimensional one.

As smoking goes to the middle of the bowl, the sensation of pungent spices becomes stronger without monopolizing the taste palette. I had the subtle taste of Japanese green tea "Ocha", something that up to now I have only tasted in the legendary Balkan Sobranie.

And of course there is the smoked taste of Latakia tobacco which enriches it. If there is no Latakia in this blend as some pipe smokers ar mentioning, then it is a highly successful smoked Oriental tobacco in the mixture that gives a sense of tasty Latakia.

The tobacco reminds me the great English blends of Dunhill. It has the European "feel" of the Balkan / English blends. But it is also somewhat less "aggressive" in both the "intensity" and the final aftertaste compared to those of Dunhill's .

A smooth smoking with moderate strength of nicotine it can be smoked pleasant all day. It lights easily and burns slowly and well and without a lot of extra lighting. No tongue biting if smoking it in a calm way, not leaving any liquid in the bowl and the filter comes very clean after smoking. The room note is rather pleasant to tolerable and can be well accepted even by people who do not like the smell of the "Latakia".

An old, historic blend has its roots close in the beginning of the 19th century!

A great pipe tobacco with a very nice, soft and rich flavor. I was very pleased to "meet" this tobacco, but now that I smoked all the quantity I had, I will miss it very much ...

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

Visually, The Original Oriental is similar to McConnell's Scottish Cake, if a bit darker in complexion. And like Scottish Cake, Original Oriental arrives sticky, but not damp. This is a natural tobacco stickiness I find common to all of McConnell's offerings. Once exposed to air for a few moments, the tobacco is ready to smoke.

The tin note is delicious: sweet feed, molasses, raisin, hay all presented so naturally that one would think this tobacco was pulled out of the barn yesterday. This tin note is among my favorites of any blend.

While the tin note hints at world-class Virginia, the Orientals are clearly the star of the smoking show. Earthy, nutty, somewhat musty with a hint of a subdued floral note, this blend establishes itself as superior from the first true light. Silky smooth and cool burning, Original Oriental is superb. There is an extremely subtle undercurrent of unflavored Cavendish here that adds a distant note of sweetness without impacting the extremely dry smoking experience of this spectacular Oriental blend.  As with any Oriental, the smoke is dry, smooth, and absolutely without bite. The Latakia here is condimental, and adds a slight bit of leather and mustiness. It's perfectly interwoven with the Cavendish to produce a noteworthy balance of background flavors to showcase the Orientals. Definitely not a smokey blend, nor can it be characterized as sweet. Original Oriental is balanced, subdued, and smooth. There is a dank, mushroomy, earthiness towards the end of the bowl when the Latakia finally asserts itself, but it is short-lived and by no means unpleasant. Toning down the cadence brings the Cavendish back and balances the smoke out right to the last sip.

Though I may appear to gush over this blend, I must say, gentlemen, this one is sublime: a seldom mentioned sleeper of an Oriental, quite possibly the equal of Wilke No.10, and one I am destined to cellar.  Original Oriental is to Oriental blends what Scottish Cake is to VaPers: unique, distinct, smooth, and not nearly as acclaimed as it deserves to be.

Similar Blends: Pipeworks & Wilke - Wilke No.010.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Few words to clarify the difference between a Balkan blend and an Oriental blend. According to a strictly geographical logic, a Balkan mixture shouldn’t have Latakia, because neither Syria nor Cyprus belong to the geographical area of the Balkans. A Balkan blend should have only Oriental leaves. On the contrary, an Oriental mixture can have Latakia, because Syria and Cyprus are in the oriental area.

Actually, almost the opposite happens. A Balkan blend stands out for the considerable amount of Syrian Latakia while an Oriental blend is characterized by the considerable presence of Oriental leaves. Again a Balkan mixture always contains Latakia, while an Oriental mixture can be with or without Latakia. Last but not least a Balkan mixture can, paradoxically, not have Oriental leaves (for example Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake). This in real terms.

Now the review. In my opinion this blend is a classic English mixture, a Latakia mixture well-balanced. Oriental, Balkan, Scottish, it doesn’t matter. I mean that Original Oriental is composed of Virginia, Latakia and Oriental leaves, with some Black Cavendish and a touch of Perique (who knows…). Really I don’t detect any Perique. And even the Black Cavendish is not so evident, at least it is not in a leading role. Anyway this mixture is rich in nuances and palatable. Tasty and not too complex. A good English blend for Latakia lovers’. In my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) my score is 8 and three stars.

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Tin note is dominated by a smoky Latakia scent which is not very pungent and is complimented by a sweeter spice, presumably from the orientals.

Comes in finely cut ribbons of different colours bright, red and black. I cannot tell apart the Latakia and Black Cavendish though… It packs and lights easily.

This is a harmonious and quite smooth and creamy English mixture of mild to medium strength and yet full in flavor. By English, I mean a Latakia mixture. So if you are looking for an Oriental blend where Latakia is just a trace, this is not it.

Latakia is present and noticeable. It’s in no way overwhelming but still it makes its presence felt. It leaves space for the Orientals to show as a sweet fragrant spiciness, especially when smoked gently. There is also a faint sweetness counterbalancing the smokiness which I guess comes from the Virginias. Generally it smokes dry and to the bottom, but the last third of the bowl gets a little harsh and slightly bitter.

I’m not a great aficionado of the dark leaf but not allergic to it either, for me it has it’s moments although I do not like smoking it all day. Yet, I find McConnell’s Oriental a very versatile blend because although full in flavor, it’s not overwhelming. I can even smoke it in the morning if I am in the mood, but it can also be also smoked after dinner.

It is highly recommended to those who know what they’re looking for: a medium strength, full flavor, mild and balanced Latakia blend where one can also taste the Orientals. I rather favour oriental blends without any latakia at all or just minimal, but that’s just my personal preference. This blend is very well made.

Spitfire1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spitfire1 (14)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am used to smoke Latakia containing Tobacco like Peterson Balkan Delight and Balkan Flake from Samuel Gawith. I have to admit the taste of this Tobacco is much "softer" but it is a real Delight to smoke late at night sitting in the garden and looking to the sun going down. The tobacco's room note is also more tolerable for non smokers when used in-house. A very welcome Tobacco and even one you could smoke all-day long, something you can't do with a real heavy Latakia.

I surely shall buy it back and even cellar it.

Pipe Used: Peterson Bulldog

Purchased From: Tobacco house in Diest (Belgium)

This is a quality light Balkan. The Orientals are rich and the Virginias are nice and sweet. The Latakia is not too light and not too heavy. It's just right. I've been unable to detect the Black Cav. This is my second McConnell blend and both have been impressive. Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor. 3+

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Purchased From: 4noggins

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (61)

I have found a new friend in this. Wanting to try a quintessential "oriental" of sorts so i could determine its taste charecteristic;i sought this site for inspiration and found this. I ordered a tin online as a sample as well as some regulars and other newbies..

I have had a real go at this since i have purchased it and it has a certain enigma value that i like a lot, but struggle to describe easy..The saying "less is more " applies i think, and its simplicity is its strength and i think it goes to show that sometimes its not what you put into a blend but what you leave out that makes a good baccy..

The surprise in the taste was pleasant as well because i had in my minds eye(or tongue)a preonception that it was going to be one of those sort of "once in a while" smokes;the word oriental conjoured up a vision of a rich ,sweet and sour sauce bomb,perhaps a bit like a hyper version of"erinmore balkan mixture" .

Anyway ; i pop open the tin and take a sniff and i can immediately smell some familiar ingredients that i have encountered in other balkan/english mixtures.

Tin aroma;of naturally sweet aromatic mixed herbs,not as industrial or creosote-ish as other favourites of mine ,and there was no familiar but likable diesal engine sump oil factor to this one either(i try to find adjectives)..

I scrape the contents off the paper card lid and it feels basically smokable.. The appearance of contents;a few yellows,some orange,tan and dark browns for the main part ,and a smidgeon of khaki green,,its a medium ribbony sawdust cut.

I load into a new 6" georgian clay(which is my favourite standard type of pipe BTW)..

Using a gas lighter(because clays dont care)the baccy takes flame easy and fluffs up slightly where i give it a quick tamp with my finger WHICH I LICK AFTERWARDS then carry on.. Its an easy tobacco to work with.

My first impressions after getting into it was that it wasn't spice shock assault that i was expecting,and it was quite a sober and sensible smoke(i was bracing myself unnecessarily for exteme spice which didn't actually appear),the other thing that got me was how smokey this was considering it supposedly has no latakia in it,,;smokey but not in the familiar latakia smooth,sooty type way(i think i know what i'm talking about,, i hope)..

The other pleasant surprise was how natural and unspoilt this mixture is..It had in its unique way;that archetypal "natural tobacco" factor combined with an interesting complexity..

The no nonsence and strait talking conversation of this smoking experience was on the same par as "irish oak" and "old dublin",,;no casing/topping detected whatsoever and it has a unique factor..

I'm so glad i had a bowl of peterson "irish oak" before hand actually ,because it gave me the perfect datum from which to judge..

Comparison to other blends;i can say roughly between "irish oak" and "old dublin" there must be some common middle ground ingredients,but it has an identity of its own and is not like a hybrid.(its a different brand anyway) It fills a vacuum on the taste spectrum which i did not know was missing until i tried it.. The consequences have been strange in that; it has helped me to appreciate "irish oak" and "old dublin" even more as well. Its a complimentary member.

Anyway; its taste fluctuates down the bowl to be interesting while sticking within the main conversation. Good interplay of ingredients taking turns or coming in combination.

What it doesn't have in its ingredients,augments the ingredients that are present in proportion, while still maintaining a perfect balance of firing order and a medium strength english property.(this is a 1000cc triple as opposed to a 1000cc four).Its got a lumpy factor and not as smooth but no worse off for it(charecter factor).. Its not harsh though..

Taste; i have already said that i was pleasantly surprised by its natural unspoiled factor;i will try to explain its own flavour rather than by comparison goal posts. I get a very herby taste with lightly salted creamy butter,as well as a slightly sweet and cheese(parmesan-ish) and onion buscuit savoury type taste..(Onion bread?).

I get a hint of pepper on the tongue but not in a black pepper perique sence like in "irish oak";it is more of a sensation than a flavour,its a prickle but not tongue bite,,,;perhaps it is the herbs(or whatever) asserting their own sensation. Its hard to put my finger on, and i am still trying to solve it;green aromatic herbs like summer herb salad;there is a herbal bitterness but its pleasant.Its on the herby more than the spicy side,which is perhaps what impressed me about it and enforces its unique factor. Sometimes it has a sage and onion stuffing taste in a way as well

This blend does not mention having any latakia in it,and i don't know if it has any or not,,,and even if it hasn't its not exactly missed either.. This tobacco has its own natural smokey factor,and i can see why some may feel they are tasting latakia,but it maybe an illusion of familiar taste association from the other ingredients;although smokey,it has its own smoke and not because of ,or the same as the fortified type of smoke due to the curing method of any latakia.. So comparing it to "old dublin"(sorry i could not resist) i can say that the oriental in this is augmented while the sooty leathery ,smooth ,smokiness of the absent latakia is diminished..

I look at tobacco as an acoustic property, that cannot be amplified electrically;you have the size of your bowl to smoke it in,but what ever you want to put in for maximum taste,you have got to be prepared for the fact that you will have to take something else out and thats generally it.(as long as you are willing to stay within a single bracket of mild,medium,or strong) You see;i like my englishes/balkans medium and my ropes and plugs strong(they have to be strong to justify the fuffing about with!).. So sticking to my parameters its obvious that i cannot have it both ways of having all strengths of the ingredients while maintaining a medium dynamic combined strength;what ever i want to bring in i have got to be prepared to chuck something else out;the way i get round this is by smoking variations in a day to keep my pallet interested..(i could perhaps stack my bowl with a pinch of this, and a pinch of that, to creat a medly actually,,havent thought of that before!)

This oriental tastes basically what i wish "old dublin" would taste like sometimes,,,;by fluke it has been achieved sometimes,and other times i have wished "old dublin" to give me more of something else..(old dublin has been my so far favourite regular purchase)wanting all this while staying within the medium english strength factor. Trying "oriental" has made me realise that i had been asking too much of a single blend "old dublin"to give me that amount of deviant compass(plus i don't like it if a tobacco doesn't taste consistant as well either)...

And so i have found a tobacco "oriental"that gives me that bit more, and a bit less, that i can instantly go to while not hoping my "old dublin" would taste a bit more "this or that way" sometimes. It means i don't get bored basically and means my rotation between 2 alternating blends has been smoothed out with this new harmonious member..

If you like or are familiar with "irish oak" or "old dublin" you may find this a worthy contemporary with an identity of its own whileit has the ability to be a variation on a simular ingredient theme,,(another actually is a blend called punchbowle that has just virgina and latakia,and with these 4 blends there is for me a definative north,east,south and west within the medium strength bracket of simular ingredient, natural tasting, medium strength english tobacco's.)

Its burn rate is the slower side of medium i have noticed and so it is kind to the small bowl handicap of my clay pipe(which i smoke for their pure tobacco taste,,;again you can't have it both ways)

Clays smoke hotter but it was cool at the mouth end.

After taste is herby and i can taste a herby like vinegarette-ish taste on my lips. It does not cloy my clothes like say a saucy and spicy"erinmore balkan mixture"(which i liked but wanted a toned down version for allday puffing,,;i found that solution in "squadron leader")

Nice for me room note,and enough strength that when smoked outside not much is lost in the wind as far as taste.

It stays lit quite well and burns to light battleship grey ash,in the same manner as either "old dublin " or "irish oak"

Nicoteen hit is medium and satisfying and doesn't leave me wanting.

I will will definately purchase more of this and regret not purchasing more when i was purchasing.

The pleasure this gives me whilst smoking in the sun and staring through the blurry smoky haze and the heatwave shaddows is epic;i was mentaly on a sail boat whilst sitting in that garden chair in my crappy yard ,,,no shit this stuff makes me feel like a satisfied millionaire doing exactly what i would do if i was a millionaire.. Peace and 4 stars!

This McConnell offering smokes pretty much like an Oriental dominated blend; but unlike others, heavy on the flavor with a palate washing of delight like no other blend of this genre that I have ever tasted. The flavor does vary as the bowl is consumed (pleasantly so), and did smoke dry (caveat: I did smoke it in a Ruthenberg rusticated pipe that won't gurgle even if smoked underwater).

I do think this is similar to Dunhill's Aperitif although not quite as heavy. Smashing stuff and lived up to its billing as one of the world's finest ever Oriental blends.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant

This is my kind of oriental mixture. It has just enough latakia and plenty of other Balkan tobaccos to add spice and zing to an otherwise mild smoke. I need to be sure to smoke this tobacco in a a dedicated pipe or a pipe which has been used for similar blends such as Campanile or Provost Mixture. Even a pipe used for Old Gowrie will leave enough of its spirit in the bowl to mask the subtle flavors of this blend. For me this tobacco has no bite nor harshness, and delivers plenty of flavor on the palate and zing in the nose. I describe the taste as full not in sense of a highly cased or English scented tobacco but in the sense of fully delivering the varied flavors of the oriental leaf. Highly recommended. Paddy.

Opening the tin, I was expecting something along the lines of, maybe, Pöschl's Exclusiv Royal or a similar Va/Orient. Off comes the lid, another illusion shattered. Instead, this is a truly classic Balkan, the kind I love: lots of Latakia and Orient, VA and maybe Perique to sweeten things, and fully unapologetic for the room note: this kind of blend is about the flavour and nothing else.

And it delivers. The ribbon in the tin is fine, but relatively short, about 2/3rds dark browns and the rest bright. The Dark Cavendish mentioned on the tin's label is decidedly _not_ a Black Cavendish, just a dark Cavendish, which I figure was made from KY leaf, going by both taste and tin aroma.

Stuffing, lighting and maintenance are accordingly easy. Nice, cool burn, full Balkan flavour, with nuances of Turkish Delight, toffee, coffee, bread, and so on all popping up in between--this is not a smoke that becomes boring. And I have nothing left but bright grey ashes at the end, no condensation at all.

Beautiful. 4 stars, and added to my rotation.

Pipe Used: MM cobs, Torben Dansk Loki

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: cigarworld.de

Similar Blends: Dan Tobacco - Old Ironsides (American History Mixtures), Torben Dansk - No.3 Red Virginia Superb, Dan Tobacco - London Blend No. 1000.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

If your want to explore oriental tobaccos without being overwhelmed by stronger Latakia blends, The Original Oriental might be a good place to start. The acrid or sour tin note that it is so characteristic in other tobaccos in this range (say for example Squadron Leader) gives away its internal composition of Oriental/Turkish leaf. The combination of spicy and tangy undertones with the earthiness of the virginias is well achieved, but I am not all too sure about the Cavendish tobacco it contains. My only criticism here is that it is quite apparent whereas something more subtle and inconspicuous would've done the trick. Having said that, I am finding this to be a very pleasant smoke (it really ticks so many boxes), but I am not overtly impressed, so I am going to give it a rating of 3 stars.

Edit (19 July 2016): I have been smoking this stuff regularly over the past few months and it has become one of my favourite Balkan mixtures in my rotation. In my previous review I only gave it 3 stars despite its quality, but I am upgrading this to 4 stars now.

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)

The tin note of this short, fine ribbon cut is dominated by the smoky scent of its Latakia, which is accompanied by a sublime sweetness.

Because of the relatively short tobacco fibers it's important not to pack your pipe too tightly. Getting it burning evenly is easy: a single charring and true light will usually do.

The strong taste is clearly that of an English blend dominated by Latakia with a subjacent sweetness, which comes from the Virginias, that also add a slight tangy aftertaste, and Black Cavendish. For the minor role the Orientals are playing, I wouldn't truely call this a Balkan mixture. Because of the cut this tobacco tends to burn rather hotly and fast and therefore needs to be smoked with care, which is why I would not recommend Original Oriental to newbies. At the end there's some powdery grey ash.

The room note is fumy.

Pipe Used: Vauen Oxford

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

E. Bonit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
E. Bonit (3)

This Blend is - along with the newly released Durbar - one of the finest Orientals on the marked: Balanced, elegant and complex. Latakia is in the background, strength is medium.

One of the grand pleasures of a pipe smoker: To sniff the rising smoke of a decent Oriental from your bowl. I prefer this much to Mc Connells Scottish Mixture.

Pipe Used: Briars

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

Purchased From: local tobacconist

Similar Blends: Durbar, the old EMP.

Bosančeros Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bosančeros (3)

I've been looking forward to taste this mixture after reading good comments about it and..well.. Tin note is very nice and promising,tobacco is good to be smoked out of the tin but I give it a 10 min dry before filling the bowl. Lighting is easy and it doesn't need many relights,tobacco burns in to a fine ash. Smoke is cool and it doesn't bite you.Taste is semi-full yet satisfying enough. The mix is quite good but I would appreciate a bit more latakia,but I take it for what it is,a mild oriental. Recommended as a everyday smoke or when you don't feel a need for full english.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (105)

McConnell Oriental is musty, slightly sour, with hints of sweetness and smokiness. It does not bite, but feels robust and zesty nevertheless. There is not much development here one could call one-dimensional, the other reliable, depending on your preferences. Oriental smokes well and is easy to handle.

What I don’t like with this blend is that it tastes overly bitter and disturbingly sour with coffee and some other drinks. I like my water carbonated, which then feels like throwing my tongue into a deep fryer or so. However, this is by no means a bad blend and I enjoyed it adjusting my habits a little. Just not a regular for the likes of me, who seem to prefer Orientals used as condimental only in small doses. Part of the tin gets air-sealed for aging.

I much prefer C&D Sunset Harbor Flake and HU Dockworker to this one.

Pipe Used: Various with and without filter

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

My first and last tin that I'll buy since Kohlhase, Kopp und Co. took over the blending, nowhere near the original McConnell and I don't care for it. I was hoping it might be similar albeit a variation.

These large European blending houses use a generic base and tweak before they tin, which may work occasionally but for the likes of Rattray, Astley, JJ Fox and the like it certainly does not work for me.

This blend is topped with something soapy it kind of has that Lakeland essence which I don't really care for, although it's very light and mild; thankfully.

I cannot recommend it on it's own merits nor as an interpretation/adaptation of the original.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (31)

Wow what a spicy and really "century old" formula. Here it is, a big oriental mixture without any Latakia in it, sweet & spicy as it has to be ( be carufel, this won't bite, unless you beg for it) and able to develop a sweet bouquet that lets you savour all of the intense natural flavours tipycal for VAs and Macedonian can offer. A little cavendish, no irish method here, is added for even more sweetness. A understand many people may sense Latakia in this blend even cuz it is as sweet as a good Syrian latakia should be, but it doesn't ( personally I sometimes add some myself but I care not to exceed or this beatiful blend gets overwhelming). I love that sweet & "cheese like" aroma & taste that Macedonian tobacco gives and I think I'll buy a box of these tins to keep it in the cellar. If you're looking for a intense oriental nirvana, savouring sweetnes with no damn fruit flavours or somethin' else added, to get you back smoking some 1800 mid- orient's traveller's taste, you found the right one. Far from others blends I like but don't love, from Mcconnel, this is real good, for a decent price, if you compare it to some usual "high ranked English or balkan mixtures" that ends up having you smoking second category Ciprus Latakia or something like that. The only thing I suffer smoking this one is a little lack of power, and that's why I don't give it 4 stars.

Update - October 2011 - I finally started my pipe season ( cause I cant really keep on smoking during summer, I never could and I don't know why) and I can say that It started with a flavour-boom. I give now the fourth star to this quality blend, simply delicious.Not a bite, not an harsh sensation, never, magical macedonian, a real balkan Lord. Only a relight for the entire bowl in my mid Peterson. A must-have.

Wilhelm Joharsányi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wilhelm Joharsányi (33)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

McConnell’s Oriental is a highly complex, Oriental-forward blend that offers a unique experience every time you smoke. This is the real deal when it comes to Oriental blends. With 5 different tobaccos, all the components are very well-balanced, with the Orientals being the most notable and prominent. The spicy Perique, followed by the Latakia play a well-crafted supporting role. It can easily be an all-day smoke, the room note kind of smells up your room, and has a medium to low nicotine content.

Ashton’s Artisanal Blend can only dream of being this good and is more of a 2nd rate blend when compared to McConnell’s Oriental. Now don’t get me wrong: Ashton has some excellent, premium tobaccos blended into Artisanal Blend. However, McConnell’s blending is far superior: artfully utilizing all the components, allowing the smoker to slowly discover the distinct taste of all five different tobaccos in the blend. Aston attempted something similar, but resulted in a bland, tasteless, uninspired murky mess of blend. Smoke these two blends side by side and tell me I am wrong. The difference is night and day.

If you are a fan of Oriental blends, this is easily a 4-star tobacco. However, I am not really an Oriental-forward kind of guy and I am just trying to ‘broaden my horizons’ instead of smoking English and VaPers all day. It is still a nice blend, I just personally needed more of a Latakia presence; felt a bit lacking in the Latakia department and wasn't as fulfilling as other blends.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I first started smoking McConnell tobaccos in the late 1960's and Oriental Mixture was one of my favorites...While this version is not too close to the Original, it is a very good smoke. It is a light Balkan and its flavor and consistency remain well above average throughout the smoke...This could serve as an all-day smoke for some but I rather enjoy it in the fall and winter most often. Since it is a light Balkan, I smoke it at any time of day and generally in a larger size pipe. It certainly meets my overall expectations, therefore I highly recommend it and further recommend it to anyone wishing a solid light Balkan.

Pipe Used: gp 3-5 size

Age When Smoked: current production

bearded_cavalier Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bearded_cavalier (11)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A really delicious oriental - soft and sweet, with a delicate but discernible spice. Quality leaf is used here. A little similar in some respect to FMATP. Lovely flavour profile and goes well the morning coffee. No tongue bite at all, even with relatively fast puffing. Recommended.

Similar Blends: FMATP.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have to agree with some of the other reviewers here, this blend seems to be on the bland side. They must pack this extremely wet, because upon opening the tin, I noticed not only the paper lining but also the thin cardboard cover were a distinct brown color and the lining is still on the damp side several days after opening the tin. Very surprisingly, this is an easy blend to light up right out of the tin. It smokes down to a nice ash at the bottom of the pipe and produces a nice amount of smoke. But it leaves you wanting in the taste and nicotine departments. I would recommend this if you want to give this type of blend a shot, you may just like it. Otherwise, you may be well served to pass on this one.

Otis56 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Otis56 (31)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

let me help you out here. If you want to know what a tobacco is like on this site. Read 5 or 6 reviews .not all of them. Then you will get a feel of weather or not the reviews you have read will help you decide on a proper choice for you. The Original Oriental is in my opinion one of the finest oriental/ English blends ever made. All tobaccos in this blend truly work in perfect harmony. A few blenders around today should grab a can of this and give it a good try.Who knows? You may learn something. And for my other pipe smoking friends out there. Smoke. And peace to you.

Pipe Used: Ashton/ billiard

Age When Smoked: 1year

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Ashton Artisian, 965, nightcap, wilderness, legend.

Robert McConnell - Original Oriental.

This one gives off a great aroma from the unlit tobacco, one where you can detect all the different tobaccos very clearly, with the smell being finished off with the smokiness from the Latakia. The level of moistness is unfathomable, it is ready to get going straight away! I heartily fill my pipe and then it's time to begin ... what a treat!

Right from the first touch of the flame this one is great, taking on a very steady burn with great ease which then bestows a full bodied, mid temperature smoke. The taste is divine, to be fair the Latakia isn't as strong as I anticipated from the mix's aroma, the tobaccos are all at a great balance with each other. To me, not any of the tobaccos particularly steal the show, you get a good sweetness from the black Cav' with a nice backbone of Virginia leaving space for the smokiness of the Latakia to have its moment in the spotlight! As others say, this is definitely not a Lat-bomb, it's been more rounded off by the Latakia, than taken over. The nicotine quantity is absolutely perfect (for me): satisfying, yet not a head spinner. The room note is very good: I get a good detection of all the different types of tobacco with the Virginia being the most prominent. Another good point is the atmosphere in the room stays fairly clear, so it isn't too offensive for other people. This is a very "pure" tobacco in the sense that I don't get any underlying flavours of any kind, only the specified tobaccos. This one has been a perfect blend to christen my new pipe I had from my beautiful wife for my birthday : )

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Golden Supreme

Purchased From: Smoke King

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)

This is a lovely mixture, to look at, smell and smoke. Contrasting colours, a pleasant aroma and then a mellow combination of flavours come your way: fruit, honey and spice without any hard edges to it. If this is "an old man's smoke" then I must be an old man!

Recommended.

Revised review 2016-3-5 I guess tastes change from when I first tried this 5 years ago. I now find this a very" creamy" Oriental forward blend. Most of my experience with a blend of this type comes with some heat, but not this one. I don't know if it is the Cavendish or Latakia that tames this one , but neither show themselves in the taste. In smoking this blend back to back with EMP , I find them very similar, including the cut.

I believe that I will be stocking up

Pipe Used: MM hardwood

Similar Blends: Dunhill's EMP.

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (17)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

McConnell calls this blend "Oriental" without much more detail because the experience of this smoke is as simply put as the name describes. It is a very pure, un-messed-around-with, oriental blend that any tobacco purist who does not like heavy additional flavorings will enjoy. This blend is done in a very traditional English fashion. It has a great spicy-satin taste that doesn't bite and a mild room note that seems to somewhat match the taste.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)

Oriental is my second favorite blend. This blend has a robust quality and an excellent balance of flavors. It is the most complex blend I've ever tasted. From the first puff to the last there is swirl of flavors varying in sweetness and pungency. I can see why some reviews here have rated it unfavorably if the smoker was expecting a classic English blend with overpowering latakia content rather than a balanced blend with latakia being used to compliment the Turkish and oriental leaves. It makes a great nightcap along with a snifter of cognac. It seems to favor thick walled briars and it likes to be savored slowly. It rates a solid 4 stars.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

This is one of the only oriental blends I have tried that actually just calls itself an 'oriental'. How apt, because that's exactly what it is. A english blend with the emphasis on the oriental 'other' leafs rather than latakia. The virginia's in this are sweet and good quality. I can think of no other blend that acts as an example of what an oriental blend is in theory. Many ask whats the difference between English and oriental, smoke a tin of Nightcap and this and you will get the picture. This is a near to perfection 'beginners' and 'easy on the palette' oriental. So many blend mislead by their name, this does not. I could see this as a perfect spring blend.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

wow what a pleasant surprise from an underrated tobacco! if you like great english blends like black mallory, squadron leader, or penzance I don't see how you could not at least appreciate this fine mixture.. it has that same sweet tanginess i get from the virginias in scottish cake - with an added treat of a fine bouquet of orientals and a tasteful light dose of latakia.. the price on mcconnell tins can be a bit steep but it is worth it for an avid smoker of english blends.. top ratings here..

edit.. i'm going to step down to three stars simply because I don't feel the urge to smoke this as often as I used to.. it is more of an occasional treat than my other englishes and virginias.

pencils Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pencils (43)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a nice, easy Oriental smoke. Not too strong, not too moist, and not too overwhelming tastewise.

If you like a strong latakia kick then this may disappoint, but for those of us who enjoy a subtle and slightly reserved blend, then this is worth purchasing. It smokes dry, has just enough of the bonfire smell to fill the room, and is easy on the nicotine.

Unnlike some latakia blends I could mention, this doesn't kick like a mule...

I am enjoying my tin, and would happily recommend it.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When trying the McConnell range, I had to keep in mind that the same guys do the Rattrays line. The tin had a strong aroma of orientals, hence the name. I packed this in an old Barling prince, and lit it up. Charring produced the acidic taste which one should expect, with the Va.'s keeping pace. Smoked cool and steady, a flavorful tobacco, which could be classified as medium, a little stronger towards the bottom, which is expected. Tasty, not in your face, to quote one, and could be an all day smoke. A good blend.

Cap'n Lev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cap'n Lev (8)

I've smoked this tobacco 2 years ago, so I should definitely try this again. Still I cannot forget the feeling of a flavorful warm bread when smoking it. Oriental seems to me a pleasant, mild tobacco with delicate and calm character. I've really enjoyed this blend, and strongly will recommend it especially to new pipe smokers getting to the latakia and non aromatics.

Pipe Used: briar, meerschaum

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (84)

I have smoked this in the past; at least a decade ago. I recall liking it then.

Whether I've changed or the blend has, I suspect the first, I now find that there's a slight sweetness to this blend, and some other English/Scottish blends from K&K, that just doesn't work for me. I presume from the Cavendish? There's an after-taste that lingers in the same manner as an artificial sweetener.

If you get along well with other K&K blends that include Cavendish, I'm sure you'll enjoy this one.

Pipe Used: Various briars and a Falcon

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Ach. Ach. Ach.

I've made a big mistake here. I thought this blend would be like a pipe version of Tor Oriental cigarettes.

By that I mean sweet, flavourful with an aromatic aroma.

It is none of those things. It's what I call an old man's smoke, or maybe old skool as they call it these days.

As I said I bought this blend in error. I could detect a musty, leathery odour before I even cracked open the can. Maybe that raises a question over the canning process I don't know.

So, it was without any great surprise that opening the tin revealed a damp dark mass of tobacco, that immediately brought to mind my horrific encounter with a certain squadron leader.

The smell that I detected before I openned up, was there in abundance and carries through into the smoke. To some this style of tobacco is the very epitomy, to others, like me it's just ghastly. Ir smokes down to a hard flaky ash and I have a nasty suspicion that I may have to break out the alcohol and salt.

Not for me then and up for an urgent trade, with nary a teaspoonful missing.

Don't make the mistake I did, and do your research before buying.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A fairly monochromatic smoke for me, and I've gone through nearly the whole tin trying to figure out my reaction to that one somewhat spicy, slightly smoky note (presumably mostly from the Macedonian). On the whole, smoking in taller pipes have left the last of the bowl a bit on the harsh side. I've enjoyed this more in wider bowls. I would suggest that if you want to understand a Macedonian blend, this is a good one to try. It does have an interesting room note! A good, rich flavor on the whole, without the overwhelming N some such blends can have. A natural tasting underlying sweetness to balance that spice and smoke. Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is probably.

thefoolish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thefoolish (9)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This blend is a relaxing blend that does not require the smoker to contemplate its minutiae. The main reason for this is that the blend is exactly what it seems to be.

I tend to enjoy this blend around a campfire.

I'm still not done with my first tin, so maybe I will discover that this blend has more to it than I am detecting, but right now it seems like a good example of your standard English mixture.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (94)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Oriental in name and fact, this mix is unbalanced on the oriental leaf but also reveals the other ingredients: the sweetness of the earthy and herbaceous virginias, astringent, dry and smoky taste from Latakia. The result is a mix of balsamic flavor and an intriguing taste from the interaction between the various components that seem to catch up during the smoke. As other reviewers have noted this formula does not have much character but reveals a confidential and discreet elegance, typically "British" (I apologize for the easy rhetoric...), which I personally appreciate.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (47)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I made a pretty harsh transition a few years back when I started smoking a pipe from a newbie smoking soda pop flavored tobaccos to a newbie smoking English blends, going literally from cherry borkum riff to Penzance. Without any of the proper humility I consider my palette fairly sophisticated now, I realized, though, that the English blends I favor are pretty bottom heavy with Latakia and I wasn?t sure if I could pick out Orientals from a line up if I had too. So I tried the closest thing to straight Orientals with the best rating here, a review website I probably put too much faith in but one which has yet to lead me astray.

I understand that flavor now and admire the reviewers on this site even more than I did before. I?m not likely to get another tin of this but it?s not any failing on McConnel?s part, this is quality tobacco, presented well, blended well and interesting, it?s just not my cup of tea, it reminds me of smoking a Turkish cigarette, a novelty from time to time, and something I?d appreciate as a gift, but not something I?d go out of my way to purchase. I understand now why there aren?t a lot of mainly oriental blends out there.

This tin was well worth the lesson for my palette and will help me understand and appreciate the more subtle aspects of English and Balkan blends and I?m sure I will finish the tin eventually, perhaps mixing it in with other things that are too latakia rich and not complex enough or Virginians that burn too hot or something. I just don?t see myself replacing the tin with another one. Just not my cup of tea, but would recommend to the palette curious, anyone who is into Orientals doesn?t need my recommendation and is probably very familiar with this blend. For quality I would give this four stars, for my own personal taste and interest a liberal two stars, so I?ll split the difference and call it three again erring on the liberal side.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)

VERY VERY SPICY! PURE ORIENTAL TASTE! ONLY FOR THE FAITHFUL!

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I fully underwrite the great Pipestud's review. I have smoked the contents in all its possible degrees of humidity. At the beginning quite unsmokable because it was very damp, as all the rest of McC's. Now some crisp bowlfuls left in the bag, but it's still smokable without bite. Good product but too bland, I don't find so much interest... but it's one of the few mild english available in the italian market, I'll give it a new chance.

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)

The nice yellow tin portrays (once you peel of the Governmental warning sticker) an undecidely Asian Landscape with a tobacco(?) factory in front of two Alps, with what appears to be a "classic" Chinaman in a pointed hat with stringlike moustaches. Cool.

Upon opening there is a smokey flavour with organic whiffs that soon dissipate. Sweet. The tobacco consists of somewhat equal thirds of black, bright and olive strands that are a couple of millimeters wide a fairly thin cut. Nice.

The tobacco is on the wet side upon opening so I let a few pinches dry out for half an hour before I stuff them in a small semi-churchwarden Prince that I use for English, Balkan and Orientals.

The smoke is mild at first but enough of Latakia goes in there to make itself noticed although it is more of a spice than an ingredient. the Orientals whirl about in a taste potpourri which is elegant and cool, yet satisfying. The second half intensifys the tastes but they do not change markedly, just get a bit stronger.

I long for another pipe as soon as possible, but my tongue did get a bit of scorching probably due to overzealous puffing. Overall a nice milder alternative to a fullblown English mix with more elegance and less kapow.

If you like orientals, this is for you. A fine blend, though it lacks in body, but it couldn't have been otherwise, considering the tobaccos used. You can smoke it alone with satisfaction, but you could also use it to spice up a mixture with a good body and a scanty aroma.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Wow. Twelve reviews so far without the standard whine that this blend needs more latakia. Maybe my tongue is overly sensitive (I only smoke a dozen bowls in a week) but this blend has more than adequate flavor and the latakia restraint is appreciated. I've been slowly searching for an oriental blend that tastes mostly oriental and this comes closest so far.

Turkish tobacco is stated to be a component in Camel cigarettes, and a Camel is my first impression in the room note. Oriental tobaccos are the original aromatics and among my favorites to smell burning. They have a sweetness I normally associate with Virginias but without their pinching bite; a nuttiness like burley without burley's cloaking effect. One of my favorite smokes is McClellands Blending Oriental by itself for these reasons. This one has the addition of Virginias to add variety to the sweet taste and just the right amount of latakia for variety and depth.

Well done. Sounds like I need to cellar a few tins. In the meantime, my darling EM remains Squadron Leader.

JohnnyFlake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyFlake (17)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

October., 2003) Tin aroma is heavy oriental (Musty) with virginias (Sweetness) and hints of latakia (Nutty). It is a thin ribbon cut which is about 80% tan & brown with hints of brighter leaf and about 20% black. Upon firing this tobacco up, you immediately pick up a burst of oriental flavors, pungent, tangy and and semi-sweet. The latakia is very laid back and it's diffcult to recognize, although, if you hunt for it, you'll pick some smoky, nutty undertones. This is truely an Oriental, thus the name of this blend. I would not even classify this tobacco as an english but since there is latakia in the mix, I guess it does. This is a very tasty blend with a fair amount of complexity, with respect to the oriental tobacco. No doubt, the latakia and virginias play a part in the overall flavor profile but they are minor roles. I like this blend! It gets slightly richer and stronger as the bowl smokes down which is to be expected but it remains cool, easy to smoke and very tasty. I don't sense a more than average offering of nicotine in this blend. 4 out of 5 Flakes - Highly Recommended!