For years, smokers revered the dark blue tin and pouch of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, widely considered one of the smoothest burley blends ever. Toward the end of its run it was made by Lane Limited, and Lane production was acclaimed, but Lane lost the right to use the name. Due to huge demand, Lane is bringing back this blend under the new name Lane Limited Ready Rubbed. An old favorite has returned.

BrandLane Limited
Strength
Taste

3.4
JimInks (2058)

The burley is nutty with a light molasses and deeper cocoa taste. The Virginia is far in the background, and is sweet with some grassiness. The toppings amplify the cocoa much more than they do the molasses. Has little nicotine. Won't bite or get harsh. Burns slightly fast, even and cool with a smooth consistent flavor that lasts to the finish. Very few relights needed. No dottle, and hardly any moisture is left in the bowl. Has a very pleasant after taste. is an all day smoke.

Comparing this to the original and the Sutliff ERR Match, I note a few differences. Sutliff's is more of a coarse cut. The original was a cube cut, and Lane’s version is small cut ribbon flakes, all of which will effect the blends’ respective burn rates. All have the same flavors, though I notice the molasses in Sutliff's is slightly less deeper in taste than the original. The molasses in Lane's does not have the same depth of flavor as the ERR. Lane states that they are using the original recipe, but after spending a few days smoking all three incarnations, my perception is that Lane’s has more cocoa and less molasses than the original does, which of course, lessens the effect of the molasses that was fairly prominent in ERR. It also has a little more PG than the original, but that mostly disappears by the half way point.

The Sutliff ERR Match is closer than the Lane version is to the original. It has less cocoa than the Lane product, with more molasses, and the Match could fool some smokers into thinking it was the original in a blind taste test, except for the cut of the tobacco. Lane’s version is in the ball park, though the much deeper cocoa notes would give it away even in a blind taste test. This blend reminds me more of Chatham Manor than it does Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. Because of the differences, it gets three stars, not four.

Edit: 1-22-2017: I have been smoking the Lane RR from a freshly opened tub this past week, and I see the cut has been changed. It's a little closer to the original than what I had smoked, which was from a tub I bought the first week of its release. Also, the molasses was as prominent as the chocolate, instead of playing second fiddle as in the earlier tub. Obviously, somebody at Lane paid attention to the criticism. As of now, I will say this version is much closer to the original. The only differences now is that the molasses in the original was a little deeper and took a little more of the lead than this Lane version. The very mild sharp note of the original, which I did not find in my first go-around is now present, though slightly less so than the original. Overall, this is now a better, more faithful copy of the original. Three and a half stars.

Old Puffster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffster (3)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

My goodness, I have been enjoying pipesmoking for almost 60 years! In that time, I have found two great tobaccos, and experienced two crushing disappointments. The first great tobacco was Balkan Sobranie, prior to something happening to it in the 1970s. By the time it went off the market, not much was lost, and in its present iteration not much is gained. The second is Edgeworth--which never diminished in quality, never disappointed,...and then it was gone! I tried a slew of burley-based blends, some of which were quite good, but none was AS good. And now, it's back! Back, and exactly the same as it was, with a new name, and in a brilliant move, in the old familiar container. It's not considered a complex smoke, not subtle--but pay attention to it. Smoke it slowly and mindfully. It will never let you down.

Pipe Used: Castello Old Antiquari

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin

Similar Blends: Hearth and Home Classic Burley Kake comes closest I think..

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (86)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I'm a big fan of these selected quality Burley's! A frequent all day smoke for me. The strength is mild maybe mild to medium. The Burley's offer their usual nutty, chocolate notes which are detectable under the molasses & cocoa topping. The topping actually mellows after the tub has been opened for a while. I feel fortunate to have never tried the original which seems to be a recipe for disappointment. Great in cobs, briars, meerschaums, big bowls, small bowls, wide bowls, and narrow bowls.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (298)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I was one of several people that emailed Leo requesting that this blend be brought back so I am delighted to be able to review it. Leonard Wortzel brand manager for Lane has already solidified his name in the Pipe Tobacco legends book. Not since the great Herman Lane himself has a man listened to his customers like Leo has and his staff has really brought Lane Limited into the 21st Century instead of maintaining mediocrity which is much easier (and safer financially) than taking risks on new blends and re-releases. Bringing back Medal of Honor (Valor), New Captain Black blends (copper and dark), Edgeworth Ready Rubbed etc. the list goes on.. Anyways Leonard if you are reading this, we thank you so very much for listening to us, keep up the fantastic work!!! Great job sir!

LLRR brought back my fondest memories of having the blue and orange trim tub sitting on my lap and relishing in the aroma of very light old time topping mixed with delicious burley. Just scoop a cob or Grabow into the tub, tamp with your index finger, a false light, then real light, and you are on your way to a slow and rich smoke that will bring you back in time to a less hurried world. The room note I've been told is "Grandpa's Pipe" and "Pancakey" which in my house is compliments indeed, the flavor is nutty and has all the complexity only best burley mixtures can provide. Delightful, comforting and reliable. I am so glad I have my ERR back!! Truly the best of the OTC blends currently on the market, I can't wait to see what else Lane releases, they really are on top of their game and other manufacturers should take notes and learn from them...

Age When Smoked: Fresh release

Similar Blends: Edgeworth - Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, Pipeworks & Wilke - Wilke Nut Brown Burley.

I just received my 14 ounce tin of the reintroduced Edgeworth RR renamed as Lane Ltd RR. I still have half a 14 ounce tin of Lane's ERR which is about 10 years old. Other than the older tin's contents having a slightly darker presence from aging, Lane's reintroduction of this classic has hit all of the previous marks, smoking identical to its predecessor. However, it is not a true cube cut as stated by some. A very comforting and perhaps the best of the Codger Burleys out there. As I am primarily a Burley smoker, I'm very happy that it is back. At first opening there's a minimal presence of PG in the mix, but this usually fades after some time. Nothing new to add from my review of ERR that I posted a while back. Very well done, and as such I give it a 4 star review. I really enjoy Wessex Burley Slice and I find LLRR to be very similar, albeit milder. I usually prefer a stouter Burley such as the previously mentioned WBF, Solani's ABF, or the defunct Edgeworth Sliced...now that would be something I would look forward to being reintroduced...but LLRR is a very satisfying Burley smoke for me to add to my line up of preferred Burleys. Enjoy some!

Pipe Used: Dr Grabow 30 year old slim billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh 14 0z can

Similar Blends: Sir Walter Raleigh Regular, Granger.

RoyOdhner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RoyOdhner (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Two of my favorite tobaccos were discontinued, and then they returned in all of their splendor. The first was Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture, and now Edgeworth Ready Rubbed (ERR) is back - albeit under the new name Lane Limited Ready Rubbed (LLRR). I understand that there were some legalities with the name ERR so Lane couldn't use it this time around, but it was a stroke of marketing genius to place the name LLRR on the same blue label that ERR used.

As for the blend itself, the cut is kindasorta the same as it used to be. Note quite cubed like the old ERR, but not far off the mark. Really, not too much different than SWR. Flavor-wise and room note-wise, LLRR is very much like SWR, but deeper and richer. This is much like the original ERR in this regard. Hell, it pretty much is the same old ERR whose loss I've long lamented. LLRR is not exactly the same as the fabled ERR, but it's awful damn close. Come payday, I'll be ordering another three tubs of it. Yezzir, it's that good. How good, you ask?

The flavor is a deep, but not overpowering, cocoa and molasses, with just a hint of anise. In keeping with traditional old school American Burley blends (and this is all burley, BTW), the flavor is not complex or nuanced. It's not a fussy smoke either, just dip your pipe into the tub or your tobacco pouch and scoop it up. Gently tamp, gently light, and float away on gloriously thick clouds of smoke and infuse your smoking space with the wonderful room note. It's pipe-like, or more accurately it is Gramp's pipe-like. It's easy to light, and keep buring; however, the only complaint that I have is that it's a quick burn. I don't remember the original burning this fast, and I suspect it's because the original ERR was very much a cube cut and this is not so much a strict cube cut.

If you've never tried an OTC codger burley before, then you owe it to yourself to give this one a go. Fine stuff, and once you smoke it you'll understand why Uncle Joe Stalin would always have his US-assigned diplomats bring him back as much as they could. I once read an article in which the author stated that ERR was Stalin's favorite pipe tobacco blend. I'm not sure if that's a true story, but I can see how it could be. Anyhow, give LLRR a try. If you like burley blends, I think you're gonna love this. And if you've never really been a burleyphile, this might just be the blend that turns you.

Deep (well, about as deep as you can expect from an all burley blend), rich, wonderful. This one of those blends that will take you back several decades in time to when pipe smoking was far more mainstream and the world wasn't quite so crazy. Try it in a DrG or a MM for the quintessential American pipe smoking experience.

Pipe Used: DrG Royalton and MM Country Gentleman

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars.Com

Similar Blends: Sir Walter Raleigh, only deeper.

Flatticus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flatticus (24)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I regularly keep a pouch of carter hall or prince albert on hand. This is a step up from both. I was never lucky enough to smoke the original, so I can't say how authentic it is. But for an all day smoking otc burley, this is the best I've had. PG is present as doc'spipe said, but I found it fades pretty quick, and the top of my tin was already pretty free of it. Tasty and well done.

Pipe Used: Cob, briar

vespa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vespa (18)

The closest I came to the original ERR was when I came across an unopened tin at the 2013 CORP meet up in Richmond and passed up the chance, because the C&D table was calling to me. Now with that confession out of the way I must say that I really like LLRR. I've always had a tub of SWR on hand, but now that has been replaced by LLRR. This is a great burly and has more body than SWR and not as sweet. The Casing is there but done very lightly, a slight cocoa flavor. Outside of that it's just a smooth burly ride from start to finish. It does burn rather fast, I can get a good 45 minute smoke from a group 4 pipe. It's great no matter how you choose to enjoy it. Whether it's a cup of coffee or an adult beverage or somewhere in between. If you're a fan of the old codger blends you owe it to yourself to give LLRR a little love you won't regret it. Unfortunately LLRR only comes in 14oz tins which isn't a bad thing for me since I'm a huge fan of burly so a tin last me the better part of a month. I feel more folks are put off by the quantity. But most of the old OTC blends are better out of the tub IMHO. So here's what it comes down too for me. Burly Burly and more Burly. I remain your Brother in Smoke.

4/4 Stars

Pipe Used: Stanwell Poker, Cob

Similar Blends: SWR but not as sweet..

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked quite a bit of the original Edgeworth blend, but it's been so long now for an accurate comparison to Lane's new revival of this old classic. Now if we're talking drugstore burley blends, this one sits on the top end of the price scale and as far as I know it's only available in the 14oz can..........and thank God for that as I would've burned through a pouch within the first day. "Toasty" is the best word to describe Lane's RR both in the can or in the pipe, exceptionally smooth and divine toasted flavour dominates for me with hints of mincemeat and cocoa on the retrohale and the aroma is just exquisite with that of pure pipe. Lovely stuff really, like a new secretary or your younger brother's minimally dressed girlfriend that he brings home at Thanksgiving for the first time it will tempt you to giving it your undivided attention. Worth every penny and in this case worth the wait, if the powers that be see fit to re-release the flake sliced brother to this blend you would hear no objections from me. Four stars without a doubt, a must try for any retired edgeworth smokers or burley fanatics.

Pipe Used: excels in a cob, but damn good in anything

Age When Smoked: current

joeyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joeyB (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

A damn good smoke. If like me you can appreciate an old fashioned, solid, consistent all day burley you will like this. The smell from the tin is graham cracker and fig newton. The smoke itself is a nice warm burley taste with just a teeny tiny hint of cocoa and molasses, just like the description says. The topping or casing is just barely there though, mostly it tastes and smells like fine burley. It has a bit more body and strength than Prince Albert or SWR, and I believe that the leaf is of a higher grade. It is not nearly as sweet as Carter Hall (in fact I wouldn't call it sweet at all). It is one of the most uniform smokes I've ever had throughout the bowl. It also burns fairly quickly, like most blends in this category.

Never tried the original. Some of the older guys are saying that the cut isn't the same, and that this isn't a true cube cut. That makes me wonder if they've refined the cut since the initial batches, because the tin that I got couldn't be described as anything other than cube cut. By and large, the pieces are, well, cubes...with a few stray cut ribbon pieces here and there. It loads in the bowl like a dream, in accord with the mythology that we're all familiar with. It doesn't seem to light quite as quickly as most OTC burleys...I usually need an extra light or two to get it going. But once the pipe is lit, I've never needed a relight, not even once after going through several ounces. I'm sure that is due partially to the great cut.

So, all in all, I don't really care if it is exactly like the storied blend of old, because for my money it is the perfect meat-and-potatoes pipe tobacco, and it lives up to or exceeds all of the praise that the original blend got. The price seems a tad steep (all of the old school tobaccos seem to be rising in price, unfortunately). But when I'm enjoying a bowl of this stuff, I've got no complaints.

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Prince Albert - Prince Albert, John Middleton, Inc - Carter Hall, Brown & Williamson - Sir Walter Raleigh.

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (47)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was quite a tasty tobacco. I have the 14 oz. can, so it will last a while while I enjoy other blends. This is a pretty decent smoke, it has a slightly sweet smell and has a nice old pipe aroma from years past. I can see how this was an outstanding tobacco in years past. Today, I would consider it a codger blend. but it sure does hit the spot! I recommend it highly.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (51)

Wow! This was very similar to the original Edgeworth ready rubbed. This tobacco was lighter in color than Edgeworth.This tobacco was also lighter on the molasses than the original Edgeworth.I still would highly recommend this to all burley tobacco lovers.Now if only Lane would bring back the Edgeworth slice tobacco that would be tops!

Pipe Used: Ural Meershaum

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: Old edgeworth ready rubbed.

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (99)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Back in the 1980's when I started pipe smoking I was advised by some Old Codger to avoid Burly tobaccos because they were "Bitter." So for years I eschewed any blend that had Burly in it. Over the years my trepidation gave way to start to include blends that had burly till finally to smoke burly blends. My overall assessment is that Burly blends are " not so bad!"

Which leads me to Lane's Ready Rubbed which IMHO one of the best OTC Burly Blends on the market. Cool smoking, flavorful - with a nutty, chocolately molasses taste that for the price just can't be beat.

Only available in 14 ounce tubs this was a pure leap of faith purchase - but I am certainly glad I did.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: John Hines Stacked Chimney

Purchased From: P&C

Rainer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rainer (3)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

As usual, I hate giving blends bad reviews. In their own way, they all have value and usually somebody out there loves them--not to mention the love that went into creation.

So with that in mind, and all due respect, I have to say, "Wow, this blend is just terrible."

Here's my background: heavy smoker for 25 years, pipe smoker for 5 years, usually smoke nicotine-heavy blends from Gawith. I smoke about 10-12 bowls a day.

I bought this blend in my (still unsuccessful) search for an acceptable all-day smoke with medium nicotine (12 bowls of Kendal Dark a day really hurt my brain, even after all these years).

I really really wanted this blend to work. It seemed perfect based on all the reviews.

So here's the problem (and I've run into this on a lot of burley blends): This is actually an aromatic. I don't care if it's technically not an aromatic, it's still an aromatic. The tin reeks of cocoa and something else sharp and sweet (and definitely not natural). Honestly, this happens too often with blends that are marketed as non-aromatics. I'm not anti-aromatic, just you know, let people know about it.

I'd almost overlook it, but in this case, it's not the worst problem

The worst problem is: tada... PG up the wazoo.

After you smoke a bowl of this, your mouth will be coated with a slightly slick scum of PG. And during the smoke, the PG keeps you from really feeling the smoke in your mouth.

Seriously, what's up with all the PG in blends? I've blended and stored my own tobacco (including directly from leaf), never once had a mold or moisture problem. If I wanted to smoke PG, guys, I'd vape. I have vaped. It stinks, it's terrible. Please, oh gods of tobacco, stop putting PG in your darn blends.

But then, even without the PG, the taste is really sour, kinda like sweet cigarette ash. (And it's not that I don't like Burley, I smoke 4Noggins cube-cut blending burley often and it's delish.)

As for bite, it doesn't bite, it nips, just the lower lip and tip of the tongue. Bearable, but not desireable.

Here's something though,

The tin: beautiful. Gorgeous.

And the cut: really nice, not cube-cut, but like granola or Grape-Nuts.

Easy to pack, easy to burn, burns down nice. A little dottle and wetness left at the bottom, but nothing unreasonable. (For comparison, I can get 3-5 smokes in a row out of my Falcon pipe with Kendal Dark, and I get no more than 2 out of Ready-Rubbed; after that it's clogged and needs to get wiped out.)

In summary, disappointed, the search continues. I want my dry, medium-strength, tobacco tasting (or neutral tasting) all-day tobacco with no PG.

Excelsior!

Pipe Used: Falcon, Cob Legend, Clay

Age When Smoked: New from tin

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Other burley blends..

oldermanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldermanpipe (9)
Very Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I really hate to trash-talk a tobacco blend. It is not pleasant to disagree with so many laudatory reviews. Sometimes, however, it can't be avoided, if one is to offer an honest opinion.

I first started smoking Edgeworth in 1972, when it was still made by Larus and Brother, the originators of the blend. It was just beyond category. Then it went away, and I was left searching. It was not until many years later that I found it again as a Lane Ltd. product. And it was great! But about ten years ago, it vanished again. Try as I might, I could find nothing to compare, until Sutliff brought out their match. It was close...damn close! And since first trying it, I've smoked a ton.

But the Sutliff Match ain't perfect, and so when Lane purported to bring it back, I had to try it. Lane is now offering Edgeworth in a 1.5 oz. pouch, so my humble inquiry did not break the bank.

Upon opening, the contents looked and smelled scarcely different from Sir Walter Raleigh and (to a lesser extent) Half & Half, which are also Scandinavian Tobacco Group products. That might not be so bad, except Edgeworth costs so much more!

Cutting to the chase...if you love a good old-fashioned drug store Burley, then GO FOR IT!!! Smooth, companionable, generic. BUT, if you're looking for Edgeworth satisfaction and intrigue, go for the Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match: twice the pleasure at half the price

UPDATE: The longer the pouch is open, the better this blend gets. The top-note fades, and a truly earthy burley blend awaits! Not as flavosome as the Sutliff Match, but far smoother and more consistent.

Pipe Used: MM Washington MM Country Gentleman

Similar Blends: Sir Walter Raleigh, Sutliff Edgeworth Match.

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (38)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Lane’s Limited Ready Rubbed is the best OTC, bar none. And if one considers the price, maybe best tobacco period. This is a REALLY great burley.

Pipe Used: Dunhill 5220

Age When Smoked: Out of tin

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (34)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Got a tin of this because of the legend of the original. After opening the tin, I could smell faint cacao and a mild earthy burley tobacco. It was the perfect moisture level and very rough cut. I had some issues keeping this one lit, but it didn't bite at all while puffing away. It's a somewhat nondescript smoking experience. It's very mild with a faint cacao taste that comes and goes. It's pleasant overall for me. Not one I dip into often, but a good one to have around for those days where you don't want to think about what to smoke. Burns to a fine white ash with no goop or sticky dottle.

Pipe Used: Italian Briar, Kaywoodie

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tin.

Similar Blends: Sir Walter Raleigh, Granger.

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (22)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

Yes!!!! I remember the original. Lamented its demise. This is a wonderful, if not exact, copy of its fore-father. Great all day smoke. No bite. Pleasant aroma. This is a joy. If you smoke burley's....grab Lane Limited Ready Rubbed

Pipe Used: Dunhill

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (99)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Have waited for this one to come on the market and when it did I ordered 2 cans. I am glad I did! Excellent flavor profile with the hint of Va. The coco and molasses are there but not so much to overwhelm. I found this blend to smoke cool and somewhat dry, (or dry considering the humidity has been really high here on the creek), no bite in this burley blend. Since receiving my order last Thursday morning in the morning post I have smoke several bowls, (20 +). Have found it to be consistent in flavor and burn in various bowl thicknesses and types. I can really find nothing bad about this re-creation of an American classic. I highly recommend this blend to anyone who wants to get a feel for a great old time flavor.

Pipe Used: Various Cobs, Grabow Bulldogs, Kaywoodie canadian

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Similar Blends: Edgeworth match.

dbl-bbl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dbl-bbl (53)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

My rating & comments are based solely upon the merits of this Lane rendition as I've not tried the original Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. From the accounts that I've read this version is purported to be very close to the original with regard to the tobacco's presentation (cut) and smoking qualities. This is a good quality blend that delivers a delicious light molasses & nutty flavor. Nothing complex here ... but IMHO there are times when one desires a simple smoke that's easy to enjoy without a lot of hoopla ... and this is a very good one for that purpose. The only negative comment that I should mention is that there seems to be more tobacco fines (very small pieces) that can be easily drawn into the mouth when puffing (as compared to the Sutliff version). Regarding the Sutliff version that I tried for comparison ... me thinks that it's ever so slightly more flavorful than the Lane version ... regardless both are a mild tasty treat. If I were to partake in a "blind smoke test" ... I doubt I could discern the difference. All said, this is truly a good smoke! 4 stars for taste minus 1 star for the dusty fines = 3 stars *

Pipe Used: Briars & Meerschaums

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (82)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I got this one bc I liked the original when I bought it.

It's pretty much the same as the original blend, but is missing something. The cut is different for one thing. The burn is the same, but the flavor is lacking somehow. I bought 4 pouches of this, bc I was sure I'd like it. I'm not so sure anymore. In fact, I gave it away after smoking it it for a week.

If you never tried the old version, try this one. It's good on its own merit. I think I was expecting it to be perfectly the same. It does smoke well, and has a good flavor of burley and cocoa notes. Easy all day smoke.

After reading jimmy inks' review of a slightly newer incarnation, I am tempted to try it again soon. (The man knows his baccy) I really did like the original, it was kinda like PA with more chest hair.

Pipe Used: A bunch

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Edgeworth ready rubbed.

BurleyTwirp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyTwirp (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was lucky enough to acquire an unopened 1970's era tin of the original Edgeworth version to compare it to. It's clear that Lane follows the same basic recipe as far as flavoring goes. The cut of tobacco is not the same, however. Edgeworth's was predominantly a cubed-cut mixture. Lane's version has some cubed-cut pieces mixed with granulated cut pieces (from what I can tell). Lane's version is by no means a goopy, PG disaster, but seems to be slightly adulterated (as far as additives go) compared to its predecessor. Ultimately, Lane did a respectable job of resurrecting the blend. The original has a deeper and stronger flavor, though.

Pipe Used: Grabow Billiard

Purchased From: Online retailer

Similar Blends: Current production of Sir Walter Raleigh & Half & half. Edgeworth, obviously..

Richmond Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Richmond (2)

I smoked the ERR in college in the early 70's. I tried the ERR match blend and was underwhelmed. Given the reviews of this product I was eager to try it. (I called the factory and inquired about smaller packaging. Nix.) LRR was also a disappointment. I'm not going to claim to remember every nuance from 40+ years ago, but this product isn't even a suggestion (my opinion). The color seems darker, the tobacco has a sharp dried fruit smell. I found it on the hot side as well. On the plus side it does have a pleasant room note. Maybe it needs to breath?

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love burley but I never had the original ERR. I like the match version so I was happy to see Lane bring it back. Tin note is typical OTC burley, oats and wheat seem to predominate. Slight anise top note but barely there. Moisture level was good and the ready rubbed cut packed easily. The first few bowls seemed to have a slight chemical burn but after I started slowing my cadence that went away. Nice straightforward burley taste with minimal bite when smoked slowly. Not sweet and fairly mild. Can easily be smoked all day with no ill effects. Uncomplicated easy smoke which is what I like.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Purchased From: P&C online

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)

I never smoked the original Edgeworth, so I really can't compare this reboot to it. However, I can say that it is a pretty good blend to scratch that burley itch that I seem to have all the time. It smells like one might expect a codger burley blend to smell in the pouch: nutty, sweet, and comforting. I am not a fan of the cube cut simply because it expands so much after lighting, but it provides a long, smooth smoke. It doesn't have much nicotine compared to other burley blends, but it had enough to satisfy me. It has a deep molasses flavor with notes of anise peeking out around mid-bowl. Left no dottle and burnt to white ash. There are other burley blends I like much better, but sometimes the best thing to do is keep it simple. Load up a cob, pour a cup of coffee, and enjoy this blend for what it is.

Pipe Used: Devil Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from pouch

Similar Blends: Prince Albert, SPS Great Outdoors.

Pilot Lon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilot Lon (16)

I have no comparison with the original ERR, or the Sutliff Match to go by. However, that being said, the Lane RR is a very nice smoke that is a bit less nutty than the CH, but with a sweet buttery molasses that comes through quite nicely. Like CH, it is best smoked slowly.

I bought an ounce from my local B&M to try, but I'll wait until the bulk is again available at P&C to buy more. At $6-plus/ounce at the B&M, it's beyond this retiree's desire to spend....yet delicious enough to be very tempting, even at that price point.

Moisture was just about right, packs well, lights easily, and stays lit. I do find that it burns a tad hotter than CH, so sipping is the order of the day for me, both for coolness and for more enhanced flavor.

I'm just not sure where the "codger" moniker came from. I find this to be just as flavorful as many of the aro baccys that I have tried, or have on hand. The room note, while very pleasant, will not make women follow you home, probably. But, if you have envisioned these so-called "codger blends" to be nothing short of ground up tennis shoes and grass clippings, then you are missing a treat. I would highly recommend finding an ounce of this...put it in a dedicated pipe, and sit back to enjoy some nice tobacco flavor, nicely blended with some sweetness, nuttiness, cocoa, butterscotch, and molasses that will keep you coming back for more and more. Have added RR next to my CH as my regular morning rotation.

Definitely a 4-star, IMO, and enjoyed in a brand new Aristocob Kolonel.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from a tub

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: John Middleton, Inc - Carter Hall.

MickPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MickPiper (6)
Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Upon opening I was greeted with a delicious chocolate smell. It was quite fresh and moist to the touch.

After smoking the first bowl, up to the now 10 bowls it feels like Im smokin hot, damp air regardless if it's directly out of the tin or dried for up to 3 days. The taste is extremely mild, sweet caramel taste, reminiscent of cupcake. if unfocused the taste isn't noticeable.

There is no discernable tobacco taste which is what I really do not like about this. Im sure its there judging by other reviews, maybe my palate is toast as I've been smoking pease jackknife plug and solani aged burley flake like a chimney.

The room note smells really, really good though - a mix between a pancake batter and cake. The taste isn't bad, but sadly not what i'd call pleasant. each bowl the pipe needs cleaned 1/2 way through, and then again once finished otherwise you'll get some leakage.

I suppose if you like aromatics this would be great, though for me it doesn't fit the bill. I was expecting something somewhat similar to Walter Raleigh. Surprisingly I taste little to no burley, basically this has no kick. And I like kick..

Long story short I prefer the Walter Raleigh aromatic by a country mile and my tastebuds need calibrated.

Rating of 2.5