A pure and clean burley tobacco. It has a hint of the natural mocca scent. This is My Own Blends alternative to Edgeworth, Singleton, Fraser, and those kinds of tobaccos. Strength is around medium plus.

BrandPaul Olsen
Blended ByPaul Olsen
Manufactured ByMy Own Blend
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsBurley
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
Extremely Mild
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Paul Olsen - No.47.

I love the fact that I can trust any Paul Olsen tin where hydration is concerned; I'm yet to have one that's either too damp or too dry!

My tin contains 10 long flakes that are mostly quite dark in colour. They're not black, but very dark nevertheless.

Although they eventually crumble, they do require a little bit of work; they're rather stubborn. Anyway, after rubbing them I find the smoke fabulous:

The smoke has a very gentle hint of chocolate to it. I wouldn't class the taste as being anywhere near aromatic, but I would say it has a clear chocolate embellishment. Other than that, I only taste pure tobacco: I get nuts, grass and hay.

Regarding the other factors: the nicotine's mild to medium, the smoke's fairly cool, it doesn't bite, and it burns brilliantly.

For my palate this scores full marks:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Big Ben Bora

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

Acquired in a trade with StevieB. Thanks bro.

The Burley and cocoa topping combine to give a great flavor. The Virginias are, unfortunately, invisible to me. This makes it one dimensional. I prefer a little more Va in my VaBurs. Not a bad smoke though. A 2.5 for me. I'll round up to 3.

Mild in body. Mild to medium in flavor. Flavoring is mild. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Age When Smoked: a few months

Purchased From: acquired in trade

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (84)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another great one from Paul Olsen. The description provided here is spot on; the tin note has a strong note of cocoa, and I detect molasses as well. It should be noted, this came to me as a flake. A fist-full of two by six inch long flakes. Good stuff!

If you are far from Denmark and are thinking of going to the trouble of ordering this because you like a good, full-bodied burley flake, don't bother, if you can get Solani's Aged Burley Flake: they are so similar as to be siblings, if not twins.

Pipe Used: Various briars and a Falcon

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the shop

Purchased From: The Danish Pipeshop

Similar Blends: Solani - 656: Aged Burley Flake.