A blend of ripe Virginias from the 'old belt' in Eastern USA. Pressed into cakes, matured then cut into flakes. Strength is medium with a natural sweet taste.

BrandPaul Olsen
Manufactured ByMy Own Blend
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Paul Olsen - No. 46 (My Own Blend).

This is the quintessential straight Virginia. I can't see any possibility of a Va fan not adoring it!

The tin note's typical for a Virginia: grass and hay. And, as usual with P.Olsen, the moisture's impeccable. There's nine long flakes coiled in the tin, they've not been pre-cut into squares, so that's a few pipes per flake! I opt for the crumbling method when I smoke this one, as it seems to release more flavour from the weed, or that might be in my head! Anyway, lets move-on to the smoke:

Lighting it up is as easy as I know; it doesn't even take much of a charring light, the burn's even almost immediately. And then stays that way for the smoke's entire duration; providing it's maintained with a tamp or two.

Regarding the flavour, I can't really think of too much to say. Think in the style of Sam' Gawith's Full Virginia Flake or Orlik's English Gold: basic, yet brilliant and well accomplished.

Tongue-bite and temperature? Well, there's not much heat and no-matter what it won't bite; it's just the ultimate in perfection where that's concerned, for me at least.

The nicotine's the archetypal amount for a Virginia: I'd rate it as just below medium.

The room-note, again, is exactly as I'd expect for a Va: quite light, a little meadow like, and quite pleasant.

This is one of the best straight Virginia's I've had. By the nature of what it is, don't expect a deep, flavoursome, and intricate smoke, but do expect a smoke of simple quality.

This easily deserves four stars:

Highly recommended.