The new tin description reads: Manufactured from matured Virginia-leafs from Africa and Brazil, as well as Oriental tobaccos from Greece and Turkey. A sweetish blend, rich in scent and taste.

Notes: For those who enjoyed the cut and leaf of the old (brown tin) Special London Mature, but would have favored more aroma, Robert McConnell now has an answer. Using what is, as far as we can tell, the identical ready-rubbed, high-quality dark Virginia, this smoke is topped with a sweet, exotic star anise aromatic.

BrandRobert McConnell
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia
FlavoringAnisette
Strength
Very Mild, Mild to Medium, Strong
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full

3.4
Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (105)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Here is another of my top 20 pipe tobaccos. Solid as a rock. This is a strong smoke. It lights well burns slow and brings forth a wonderful aromatic fog. I admit fully that I cellar a large stock of this tobacco. I like to smoke this over the weekend and I get more comments on the room note.

Pipe Used: Comoy

Age When Smoked: Tin - 2 years plus

Purchased From: Mannheim Germany

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (127)

This review is of a round green tin I bought from Germany. On it there were two descriptions, the first stating that it contains Virginia tobaccos in combination with Orientals, while the second, a little more elaborate, mentions the Virginia leaves’ provenance from Africa and Brazil and the Orientals’ from Greece and Turkey. It also describes the blend as sweetish and rich in aroma and flavor. On the site of the shop from where I bought the tobacco (Esterval’s Pipe House), there is yet another description, supposedly from the manufacturer, which states: “ Four different provenances Virginia and a portion of a sour-sweet Oriental tobacco are fermented together with the addition of a traditional subtly fruity fig casing in the press and then stored for ripening. A classically inspired flake, slow smoldering with cool smoke and gentle-sweet taste.” And from the Kohlhase & Kopp site Robert McConnell’s Mature tobacco is shown on a rectangular tin, it is described as consisting of dark, spicy, hand-grated Virginia flakes. And lastly, here on tobbacoreviews.com, it’s also shown in a rectangular tin, not round, and is described as consisting only of Virginia and an anisette flavouring is also mentioned.

So, what actually is the case? Is this a pure Virginia or an Virginia/Oriental blend, is it cased at all, and if yes with what, figs, chocolate or anisette? The safer guess, I think, is the tin description as the tobacco might have changed recipe through the years. But it does not mention a casing. The tin note on the other hand is quite fruity (haven’t had Erinmore for many years, but it kind of reminded me of that tobacco) and suggests to me that there is a (mild) casing. Anisette for sure it is not and I do not think its chocolate either, but it is possible that there could be some chocolate in it. The fig suggestion seems plausible but the aroma is sweeter, so to go along with the fig option, I’d say it smells like some kind of fig liqueur.

The cut of the tobacco is a broken flake, very similar in appearance to Scottish Cake. It consist of several hues of brown tobaccos and it is on the moist side. It is ready to smoke but it also gives one the option to dry for a few minutes if desired. Packs easily and after the initial char it smokes great without need for many relights. Great burning to the end, whether you dry it or not. It also has a nice medium strength with enough nicotine for a satiating smoke.

Taste is medium but nuanced. It’s mostly of a juicy, mildly tangy and yeasty natural tobacco with a delicate sweetness and the fruity topping is felt only mildly. The taste is mainly of tobaccos, not of the topping. At times, especially after relights or when the tobacco is smoldering I get some beautiful nutty notes. I cannot taste the Orientals per se but I have no reason to doubt their presence and they very likely are responsible for the nuttiness and might also add the sour note mentioned in the description.

Overall this is an excellent blend, and I recommend it highly to smokers of natural tasting tobaccos, not to those who smoke aromatics.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a great smoke. The Virginias are mildly sour and tangy fruit. The anise topping adds a contrasting sweetness. There are bready notes in the second half of the bowl. Flavor is well rounded and very nearly rich. You need to be gentle on the relights, which aren't very many, to avoid a little harshness. A wonderful and satisfying tobacco.

Medium to strong in body. Flavoring is mild to medium. Taste is medium to full. Burns pretty well. This is good stuff.

Pipe Used: MM Dagner Poker, Country Gentleman, Marcus

Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Intrigued by the description (and also fired on by the experience of this brand's Scottish Flake), I ordered a tin, received the tin, opened the tin, and smelled... a flower shop.

It has been noted by others already that this is not an unflavoured blend, and that the recipe seems to have changed over time. What I got in the tin has a flowery topping on it, which disappears a few days after opening the tin. What is left still is fruity, sweet, has a very good touch of VA sweetness, and the spice and flowery notes promised by the Greek and Turkish. So, not complaining.

The leaf is a rubbed-out flake for the most part, medium to dark brown with a few highlights in there. Stuffing is a no-brainer, lighting up may take two matches. The burn is remarkably cool, the flavour sweeeeet with the promised oriental spice in there. Nuances keep popping up in between: this is not a monotonous smoke. The VA sweetness dominates, though.

When all has turned to ashes (OK, I occasionally have a minimum of dottle left in the bowl), I have a nice aftertaste of creamy citrus-y sweetness that few other blends can match, and so I go for the four-stars rating. Definitely worth a try, and I'll cellar a few tins.

Pipe Used: Kürle handcut, Stanwell shape 11

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: Peter Heinrichs, Cologne, Germany

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (153)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

SKIP THIS FIRST PART IF YOU ONLY WANNA READ THE TOBACCO REVIEW!

First off: K&K and their McConell blends are A MESS!!! This will be the last blend I bought from them - not because they taste bad...they taste excellent! But they are so in-transparent and false descriptions are everywhere in their blends it's not even funny anymore. We consume this product, I wanna know whats in it!

My tin says "Virginia + Greek and Turkish Oriental leaf"...this site says "straight Virginia with Anisette; ready rubbed" (which is only partly correct. The official K&K website states "Straight Virginia with Chocolate; mixture". Inside my tin there's obviusly NO choco topping/casing, but definetly as ANISETTE/licorice one. It's broken flake like stated here, and not a mixture.

Same with their blend "Scottish Flake"...I have three tins, each on of them has a (totally!!) different description and supposed ingridients. I contated K&K and ask for clearification if they changed recipes or alike and they straight up lied at me. Who they tryin to fool, and WHY? Why such in-transparency? My house tobacconists gets its house blends from K&K and said they are very intransparent towards them as well... Nope...they make excellent blends, for good prices, but this is straight up unacceptable to me, I wanna know what I smoke. They don't have to tell me the exact recipe, but at least the ingridients and not make it a guess-game for the smokers! Excuse my rant, but this really gets my blood boiling! _______________________________________________________________________

Now to the actual review. After holding the tin in my hands every time I'm at Peter Heinrichs shop, but never buying it, I grabbed tin today. They had a rectangular tin left, but the new ones are round. So this must have a bit of age to it. 1-2 years maybe.

Inside there's a lovely broken flake, that's well rubbed out. After cracking the tin I got hit by a pleasant blast of very fruity, licorice-ish/anisette-ish scent. Dipping my nose closer into the tin I also perceive the Oriental leaf, lending it a woodsy, nutty, sour-spicy and somewhat hearthy aroma. It seems lke there's also some vinegar apparent in lurking in the back. Decent, but not overpowering sweetness.

The intriguing broken flake mixture is rubbed out really well and offers mostly rich brown colors, with some black speckles and few yellow/beige ones. Moisture is a bit high, needs at least 45-60mins of drying, experiment to find your preference.

After my boiling blood (see first part :-P) cooled down a bit, I packed a neat little clay pipeful of this delightful looking and smelling tobacco. Contrary to the rather intensive tin-scent, the smoke is much more mellow, less sweet and tobacco-forward. First few puffs gave me a intense burst of Oriental-goodness. The distinctive, excotic aroma of Oriental leafs offers sour, and dry-wood as well as some nutty notes. They underscore the first-class, and full of flavors Virginias, who offer gentle citrusy-sweetness, rich bready and slightly (stoved-)fruit aroma. The topping is definetly NOT chocolate. It is rather fruity, than anisette/licorice-ish, but with imagination I also pick up mild liorice notes from it. I perceive the topping as rather mild, and it's not subdueing the tobaccos, but rather enhancing them.

I hestitated to buy this blend for so long due to the confusion of 3-4 different descriptions floating around of it...is it straight VA? Is it Va+Oriental? Is it anisette or choco topping? Well after smoking it, I'm most certain the description on my tin is accurate, which says Va+Orientals from Greece & Turkey.

Yet I regret not buying it for so long, because it's a top-notch, very classy and full of flavors blend! The used tobacco leafs are of best quality, very tasteful and skillfully blended. A 4/4 star-worthy blend through and through, which will take a set place in my rotation from now on.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipes / Various Briars

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (74)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I was looking forward to this tobacco for a while and let it age several months when I got it. I'm a Virginia fan and also a fan of a lot of topped tobaccos ( University Flake, Kendal Flake, and Epiphany, especially). I also like many anise topped tobaccos (SWR, CH). However, I found the topping on this to be a bit too much. I feel that the topping impedes the flavor of the tobacco and seems, to me at least, to drown the tobacco. I've given it many bowls in different pipes and with different packing techniques. It's just not for me. If topped Virginias are your Nirvana, please try it. The tobaccos, from what I can tell, are top notch. It just isn't what I expected and I found little to enjoy.

Oh. And it will most def ghost your pipe..

Pipe Used: Petersons and Custom-bilts

Age When Smoked: About 9 months

Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Robert McConnell - Mature.

A fairly dark, well broken, not too wet, blend from a fresh tin. There's no need for further rubbing.

It lights well, giving a reliable burn. Now, I like the tobacco flavours: well balanced, not too citrus-sharp, a little sweet and sour, and lightly creamy. It's a quality natural flavour, but for me, the topping spoils it. Although it doesn't come over as being a blend with LOADS of added taste, there's just enough liquorice/aniseed to give a bitterness I don't find appealing. Also, I don't find the temperature too agreeable, that, and the tongue bite reduce the rating further.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: not exactly a fan.

Mature: I'll be fair and give it a fairly noncommittal two stars, because the tobaccos taste quite nice. It's just ruined by the top-note:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Freehand

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (84)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a nice and tasty smoke. The licorice topping is subtle but assertive. The tobacco is dark and comes Ready Rubbed. It's a bit on the moist side so I choose to dry it out for a good 30 minutes before I lock and load. There's nothing too exciting about this one but it never really gets boring. It's not a "sit and contemplate" smoke but more of a chore blend in my opinion and it sure beats the hell out of most characterless American aros. The nicotine is about medium so it will satisfy your nic cravings and the room note is very pleasant. This would be one of my choice smokes if I was worried about non smokers around me (which I never am) but I think most people will find the aroma to be quite pleasing. I will happily smoke both the tins that I picked up but once it's gone I don't think I'll be getting more. It's pretty much a "middle of the road" blend and average on every account but sometimes that's exactly what I'm wanting.

Similar Blends: Esoterica Tobacciana - Blackpool.