A beautiful blend of fully matured Virginia tobaccos cut in flake form. A great tobacco with a full natural aroma.

BrandPaul Olsen
Manufactured ByMy Own Blend
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Very Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full, Full
2.5
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Strong

Paul Olsen - No. 43 (My Own Blend).

Note: I reviewed this abut 4 months ago but as I sat smoking a bowl of it this morning looking at my review I realized my opinion has changed quite a lot so I thought I'd re-post.

It's different to most straight Virginia's, for starters it's very dark brown. The moisture's good but that's not due to it being unsealed and breathing for a few months, it was good when I initially opened it. The layout of the blend inside the tin is the same as most M.O.B. flake's: long and coiled.

The second difference is strength: it's a lot stronger than I normally find straight Virginia's: medium to strong, airing more towards strong. The flavour also differs, it's very full for a straight Virginia. The first extra taste I could identify was sort of like Kentucky, but after about a third of a bowl I begin to obtain a molasses sweetness; if this was present throughout it would score higher. It burns well but sadly bites my tongue like mad; I wouldn't call it 'Relaxing'.

I don't like the room-note: dirty, and I won't buy any to cellar. I normally like Paul Olsen blend's but this isn't very good. Not terrible, but definitely worth no more than two stars.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef Meer'

Age When Smoked: 4 Months opened

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (134)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Simple virginia flake. Very good quality as is the case with Olson blends. Nothing special....is a bit like Sutliff Virginia slices or macbaren's Virginia flake. Very basic, an all day smoke. No bite and naturally sweet. There is a lot to be said for straight virginia flake.

Purchased From: danish pipe shop

Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Acquired by trade from StevieB. Thanks bro.

Well, this has a casing that declares war on my body chemistry every time I try it. I've never experienced a more brutal ph imbalance. This bites like a gator. I can't really smoke enough of it to be able to say much more than that. This one is certainly not for me. Evidently some people can handle it and enjoy it. As for me, I can't recommend it.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn

Age When Smoked: can is dated 6/7/16

Purchased From: acquired in trade

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (84)

Without the palette to discern what makes this flake so special, I can only say that if you are considering purchasing this blend, the description provided above is spot on.

There are, happily, other Virginia flakes as good as this, but I haven't yet experienced a better one.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the shop