My Own Blend equivalent of Orlik Dark Kentucky. A contrasting blend of mature Virginias, supplemented with Dark Fired Cured Kentucky tobacco which is then pressed and cut into cakes. A full bodied non aromatic.

BrandPaul Olsen
Manufactured ByMy Own Blend
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
Strength
Taste
3.7
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

Paul Olsen - No. 61 (My Own Blend).

I'd expected a rather mundane looking blend, you know, a mid-brown, usual looking flake. So, when I opened it up I was impressed by the colouration: flakes that are about 3cm wide, with a very dark brown outer and a centre strip of lighter Virginia that's about 1cm. As always with M.O.B. the moisture's A1, so they're easy to fill with and just as easy to light.

Of the two tobacco flavours I find the Kentucky to be the much bolder one, the Virginia only gives a small amount to the smoke. I think this would be a good choice for the 'seasoned smoker'; to be truthful, even though there's no disputing the high quality of this, it's a bit to much for me at first! After about ten minutes the Kentucky's smokiness gives-way to a subtle sweetness: a sort of brown sugar-esc quality: not as though it's got a casing, but more like the mature Virginias are 'having their say' at last! This flavour continues to strengthen as the bowl burns down. It's with this where the score increases from 1 or 2 stars to 3.

The quantity of nicotine would probably satisfy many smokers for the 'morning smoke': it's not stupidly strong, but quite strong nevertheless.

And finally, the burn's good, and the room-note's 'okay'.

Recommended:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Lestrade

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

This was sent in trade by my good friend StevieB. This is a gem, Steve. Thanks.

My experience with this seems to be opposite of his. Possibly because I've used only cobs and cobs have a way of bringing Bright Virginias to the fore. The Virginias lead with Sweet hay and citrus tang. In the latter half of the bowl I get some nice bready notes. The DFK is a steady influence in the background providing a smoky earthiness. This is a very tasty smoke. Just wonderful.

Medium in body. Medium to full in taste. No added flavorings detected. Burns very well. Another great choice, Steve.

Pipe Used: MM Dagner Poker, Country Gentleman, Marcus

Age When Smoked: can is dated 6/7/16

Purchased From: acquired in trade

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (54)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

As always with My Own Blend, a quality product.

The flakes are presented in a sexy two tone coloration. They pack and light easily giving off a smokey flavour. This soon gives way to a salty caramel taste which is lovely and stays all through the bowl. It's a fulfilling smoke.

Unfortunately, all products by MOB leave my oral cavity stinging like red hot chilli peppers. I don't know why but it's a damn shame - all their baccies are top notch. Perhaps I have an allergy to one ingredient. Can anyone help solve this mystery?