A pleasant blend of light Carolina, Virginia and black cavendish. Rum, ginger and cherry gives a mild flavor for everyone will enjoy. This mixture burns very well and dry in the pipe.

BrandRattray
Taste
2.2
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Rattray - Terry's Red.

I have noticed a mixed response on this one, I find it enjoyable, but we must remember tobacco taste is subjective so I will try to give an un-biased description! As many people state it has a wonderful unlit aroma where you can detect the aromatics in it. Also the moistness is just enough. Quite a uniform blend in appearance too. If you draw pre-light you get a great flavour of the aromatics use. Once lit you get a Cavendish and Virginia taste which is well balanced and a sweet taste lying heavier towards the ginger with the cherry being a little lighter. I find that after a while the Rum becomes a little more noticeable. Room note is nothing spectacular but not at all unpleasant. In summary I find it a nice/mild tasting aromatic!

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Falcon

Purchased From: Smoke King

RicM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RicM (2)
Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This was expensive - purchased for $36.25 at Briar Patch. I paid waaay too much. I don't mind paying more to support my local shop, but that was a complete ripoff.

It smelled fine when I opened the can, but that was about it. The taste of the smoke was rather bland. The smell in the room was just there - not good, not bad.

My expectations were high, but this one just fell flat for me.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)
Mild to Medium Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This is an aromatic with restraint. Flavored with rum, cherry, and ginger, those flavors are present pretty much in that order. The rum is gentle but flavorful throughout. The cherry appears occasionally, sometimes spiced with ginger.

It was at perfect moisture in the tin, and it burned beautifully in the bowl. It never got hot, bitey, or wet, and the flavor remained all the way down the bowl.

Those looking for a straightforward cherry blend will likely be disappointed. This is more nuanced than that.

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I expected to be disapointed by this blend. I was not. Frankly, I find this to be the best Cherry blend I've ever smoked...not too sweet and it tastes like tobacco. Most Cherry blends make me feel like I'm smoking Vick's Cherry Lozenges. Not the Rattray's version.

Red_Machine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Red_Machine (2)

A delicious smell in the tin, an easy burn, cool smoke, and the best taste of those that I've tried so far. Albeit I've only tried three!

Recommended!

Pipe Used: Mr. Brog "The Hobbit"

Purchased From: My Smokingshop

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Hmmm...

Nice smell in the tin, nice smell in the room. Very little tobacco flavour. Draw VERY slowly to extract the available flavour (Which is all artificial) or you'll taste nothing and get bitten like you're a doughnut in Homer's kitchen.

So what does it taste of? Cherry cough syrup? That's a pretty fair description. The cherry was dominant but well supported by the rum and ginger. I could actually go for the flavouring (on the occasions when I feel like an aromatic) if there was a lot less bite and a bit more tobacco taste.

I won't bother with it again. I much prefer Samuel Gawith's Black Cherry in this genre.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

My first tin of a Rattrays blend. Rather dull looking tin, too. Ah well I guess it doesn't matter much.

I agree with most of the reviewers here ; the tin aroma is simply amazing. Good enough to eat I think someone said. And quite right too.

However, the tin aroma does not follow through in the smoke, much to my disappointment. It took a few bowls of this stuff before I could detect a character/taste.

It's not like any other blend I've tried, and it has a tendancy towards the harsh if pulled too hard. The taste is odd, a kind of peppery ginger mix. No rum and no cherry. I reckon they made those up.

It goes out a lot, probably due to the moisture level and the fact I'm too lazy to dry it out. It certainly gives off a lovely aroma but no-one has said anything one way or another. Therefore it's allowed in the house.

Even though it's not vile (although I can see why some smokers would find it so) I couldn't smoke this day in day out. Shan't buy it again.

Very similar to some Amphoras and pouched Larsens: it's not very sticky for a cased aromatic, and in the tin it has an OK moisture level. It's OK stuff if you like the genre, but why spending so much when there are several cheaper aromatics with the same (lack of) taste? It's a bit nutty, a bit sweet, and turns slightly sour after mid-bowl, altogether unsatisfactory. It will bite your tongue, so beware.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Because it had the Rattray's name, I expected this to be a high quality aromatic. The visuals of this blend look promising but unfortunately the casing overpowers the leaf. The flavor starts out good but as you go down the bowl, it developed a bitterness that made it hard to finish. This aromatic did not have the quality taste rattrays is known for and I would have to say that BH's "evening stroll" is still a much better aromatic hands down. So for now, look elsewhere.....

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Although I nomally don't smoke aromatics, I gave this a try based on the Rattray name. I also favor flakes so this ribbon cut burned fast and hotter than I'd chose for any regular smoke. The mixture of black cavendish and VAs in this form lacked a natural tobacco flavor and the flavor from the casings that orginally attracted me to this blend either burned off or were hiding from my taste. I don't need an imported German tobacco to duplicate what I could purchase @ the local drugstore. Overall, a disappoinment.

lasix1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lasix1 (5)

This tobacco is, as far as I know, Rattray's first excursion into the world of heavily cased aromatics. They probably should have stayed with their strong suit, latakia blends and matured virginias. Terry Red is not a bad tobacco, it just doesn't live up to its billing as something special from a respected blender. The casings, cherry and ginger, are almost undetectable, and the shag ribbon cut burns too hot for my taste. It can be a formidable tongue biter if smoked too fast, and while my wife is unoffended by the room aroma, she prefers many other aromatics such as Blue Note over Terry Red. I bought a 100 gram tin and it is likely to take me a long time to smoke it all since everytime I'm tempted to try it again, I wind up reaching for a more pleasing aromatic. Note to Rattray: Stay with what you do best--this isn't it.