Russ took the Virginias used in his best known Virginia based blend, Anniversary Kake, and amped up the perique content, then added a splash of some very nice dark-fired Kentucky leaf. Fire Storm is rather sweet, but the spice shows up shortly thereafter and builds gradually through the end, with a peppery finish. For smokers who like bold Virginia/perique blends.

Notes: From Pipes&Cigars' website, written by Russ:

I’ve been blending pipe tobacco for nearly forty years, but ten years ago is when things really took off. I had made some blends for our brick & mortar store that did well, so we put them up for sale on P&C, and that was the beginning of Hearth & Home. Recently I was asked to make a new series that would let me stretch my wings, as it were, trying to think outside the box and to use tobaccos and techniques that were different than anything I had done previously. I welcomed this challenge. The powers-that-be, here at P&C wanted me to put my name on these blends, and here’s the first entry in the RO Series: Fire Storm.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Strength
Taste

3.9
JimInks (2060)

The tangy, dark fruit sweet Virginias also have a touch of earth. The fire-cured mahogany Kentucky is a little woody with some spice and mild nuttiness. The perique is plum and pepper with some raisin notes. The spice flavor reminds me of cinnamon, though it’s more noticeable in the first half of the smoke much of the time, you will feel its presence to the finish. The sweetness seems more obvious in the first half as well. I don’t think I’d say this blend gets peppery in the second half of the bowl as the description says so much as it seems to be a little less sweeter, which allows the spice to appear to be more prominent. Burns cool and clean with no dull or harsh spots and a consistent taste. Has a nice after taste. Won’t bite or get harsh, and you'll likely enjoy the spice tingle from beginning to end. Three and a half stars.

OnHigherGround Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OnHigherGround (2)

I was fortunate to receive a generous sample of this tobacco from Russ himself before its release. I very much enjoyed it! This is not your typical virginia/perique blend. The robust perique content is a tasty and welcome departure from a more "normal" VaPer base, and changes the character of the smoke. The taste changes gradually over the course of the bowl, perique-y and dark fired flavors become noticeable at different times. The smoke is full and flavorful without ever becoming overwhelming, and leads to a deliciously spicy finish. It's quite unlike any other blend I've had the pleasure of smoking. Do yourself a favor and pick up a tin!

Pipe Used: Bulldog

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Russ Oullete has already earned his place among the great pipe tobacco blenders of our time. His creation of the Hearth and Home line will be enjoyed by generations of pipe smokers yet to come. (Provided we don't go the way of the DoDo).

I am so happy for Russ that P&C made the decision that it was time to put their master blender front and forward with a signature line bearing his name.

Up first is Firestorm, it was backordered but has finally begun shipping. I always have far more tins open than one should and will sometimes wait to open a new blend (who am I kidding) but I could not wait. This blend is a winner from puff one.It's tin description is actually quite accurate. The first few puffs are indeed a deep dark fruit delight reminding you of Anniversary Kake but with twists and turns. That cinnamon quality eluded to is there but not in a cloying or artificial way. The perique is in fact the dark fruit and is present in ample quantity growing in pepper after the half bowl mark. This is a full mouth feeling rich tobacco without being overwhelming in nicotine or harshness. A grand achievement in my opinion and soon to become a favorite.

Congratulations Russ!

Pipe Used: l'anatra canadian

Purchased From: p&c

Similar Blends: H&H Anniversary Kake.

Mostly dark brown to black ribbons with a heavy and hefty tin aroma of perique and natural tobacco. Easy to load and stayed lit nicely. I found Russ' description interesting, mostly because my tastebuds apparently worked backward from his.

For me, this blend started out much more savory than sweet, with a mild plum flavor well beneath a spicy and robust (but not strong) exterior. There was a bit of pepper as well but it was subdued. The Kentucky flavor was very noticeable but not prominent and lent a kind of grainy spiciness that nicely melded with the perique. It was in the second half of the bowl that more sweetness emerged. The plum became more figgy and sweet, with the pepper dying off and the spice receding to the background but still putting a rich emphasis to the mix. It was almost like this blend was veiled for the first half or so and then dropped the veil ever so gradually until it shone. The second half of the bowl was amazingly complex, rich and tasty. The first half was nice too but not as well executed... almost like it was "shy". Interesting blend. There seemed to be some sort of casing/topping in the first half but I couldn't make it out. It didn't seem to detract too much but I was happier when it burned away mid-bowl. I give this a high 3 stars, and I don't know that I've really figured it out. Like a lot of GL Pease blends, it seems to have some secrets, and like a lot of GL Pease blends, it's worth it to me to try some more and find them out. Russ remains an original. This blend is like nothing I've ever smoked.

pauliepipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pauliepipes (5)

I was introduced to this by a video from Muttnchop Piper on youtube. He described the taste as cinnamon like which I like so I decided to try it. I was very pleased with the tin notes but was blown away with the flavor. The Perique balances this blend perfectly. I will stock up on this one! I would like to get a pipe made with a 2" diameter bowl 4" deep to smoke this one.

Russ Ouellette if you read this, I want to say you NAILED it!!!!! One of my all time favorites.

Pipe Used: Medium bowl briar handmade by Don-Lou

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (69)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Varied mix of light to dark ribbbon. Tin note is intense fruit and leather. Very well behaved smoke, no dry time needed.

Under the match, the pepper is pretty intense; I find it's almost unbearable, like a high-pitched whine, if I'm drinking an especially hoppy beer and/or have eaten something that packs a lot of flavor. Bearable otherwise as long as you like perique. I get that sensation of a thousand tiny needles on the tongue. This will also grab the back of your throat if you're not careful. Interestingly, given the Kentucky and Perique, I don't get much of a nicotine slug.

For the most part, the components play beautifully together. At a few points during a bowl, it's almost breathtaking. Definitely worth a flyer for Kentucky/Perique fans.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I was fortunate enough to get a sample of this at the Chicago Show this year from Russ himself. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. This review may be biased by my love for VaBurPers, but I found this one to be spot on from what I would expect from this type of blend.

Sweetness from the Virginias, spiciness from the perique ( and a good amount of the same), and a deep earthy body supplied by the Kentucky. A distant nutty sweetness sits in the background from the interactions of the Virginias and kentucky. Yeah, this one is a winner. And that is exactly what I told Russ on Sunday after smoking several bowls in the tent Saturday night. He then through me another sample. woohoo! Now, it is time to buy several tins.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (104)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tend to take tin descriptions with a grain of salt, something to boost the originality of a new blend or perhaps just influence the perceptions of new smokers of the blend. Much to my surprise, this one's spot on! It begins with the tang and sweetness of darker red Virginia complemented by the depth of plum-sweet perique. Gradually, a nasal pinch of spice begins to build, and curiously so does the tangy high note. Around mid-pipe, I'm still tasting the sweetness and tartness, but now there's a mild peppery spiciness binding it all together. Nothing like the pepper note in Escudo, but more pleasantly restrained and harmonious on the whole. Russ has been a favorite blender of mine for some time, and I'm excited to see the new line launch with him in the spotlight. With my penchant for dark-fired and perique in all forms, I feel like this excellent debut blend was created just for me. This is a superb, quality, well-behaved VaBurPer, highly recommend you give it a try. On a final note, I do find the flavor profile much enhanced by a cob verses briar. Either way, great smoke.

Pipe Used: Sasieni 4-dot, MM Washington

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Kyohan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyohan (14)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

One word: Fantastic! Russ hit it out of the park with this blend. The tin says, "It starts off with a dark fruit sweetness and a current of cinnamon that builds gradually to become deep and peppery in the last half" and that is exactly what it does. I love this stuff and will definitely need to add several tins to my cellar. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

mightysmurf8201 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mightysmurf8201 (20)
Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

Tin note is a bit spicy and savory. Rough cut ribbons of dark brown and black. No drying needed. Lights and smokes well. Right off the bat, I get a strong cinnamon flavor, which is different but pleasant. It lasts through the bowl, but mellows a bit as you get closer to the bottom. Kentucky leaf is up front in this blend, and the VA's add a nice sweetness that pairs well with the blends spicy essence. Really good blend overall. Not a morning smoke for me, but top notch through and through. It will ghost a pipe slightly. Best in a briar.

Pipe Used: Cob, meerschaum, briar.

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)

RO Fire storm is exactly what it is, this blend starts out tasting like anniversary kake, but turns into a spicy love story from the perique about mid bowl. The last third of the bowl the perique tends to fall back and is more noted in the background. The tobacco was very well done and easy to work with no issues keeping this stuff lit. Overall just a great blend by Russ Ouellette and I am looking forward to the rest of the RO series.

Pipe Used: Dublin

Couch_Incident Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Couch_Incident (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is the most interesting blend I've smoked in a very long time. It has what appears to be a natural cinnamon flavor to it.

Last year I ordered several tins of this tobacco, purely on a review Muttonchop posted on Youtube. I've tried in the past some heavier Perique blends but have often never finished the tins because I either didn't like them or I gave up due to lack of interest. I like Perique, especially in English blends for some reason but I've never really enjoyed Virginia/Perique blends.

However, this blend is outstanding! I opened the first tin I had last year and it lasted a week. I just recently opened a second tin with a year on it, and its life expectancy is very very short. I have one tin left and I'm going to keep it for a special occasion, just in case the blend doesn't come back (P&C is currently back ordered).

If you like Perique, Virginia and Fire Cured tobacco, this is your deal. If you like cinnamon, you will enjoy the beginning of the bowl. This is just an amazing blend and I'm so happy to have tried it.

Pipe Used: Savinelli TRIS 173

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

WyoSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WyoSmoke (4)

Dark fruits. Plum, caramelized pear and fig. Slight pepper and nutmeg spicyness. This tobacco seems very moist & springy, yet smokes very well. No relights, not much tamping needs done. I been smoking this blend nonstop since cracking the tin, very impressed. Like the tobacco version of a fig Newton. Faster puffing reviels more spice and a hint of oak, or maybe nuts. Complex. Highly recommended

Pipe Used: Scortarious bent Dublin

Purchased From: P&C

Zappa2112 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zappa2112 (8)

A true masterpiece. Instantly a favorite and gets better and better with each bowl. Quite possibly my all time favorite. Definitely a top 3 for sure. I strongly recommend giving it a try.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Briars