Original Syrian Latakia blended with different Virginia grades, Java tobaccos, Burley and Lousiana Perique. A smoky, medium-strong mixture. Traditional English.

Notes: Syrian Latakia, Burley, Perique, Java, and Virginia tobaccos make the basis for Barling's 1812 Garnet Medium, this medium-bodied English blend.

BrandBarling
Manufactured ByPlanta
ContentsBurley, Java Leaf, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Packaging50 gram Tin
Strength
Taste
1.8
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

The first thing that I noticed after opening my tin of Garnet, was the topping. Fortunately, it really doesn't appear in the smoking experience. In the pipe Garnet, to my taste, the problem with Garnet is that it is unbalanced. I enjoy Java (cigar leaf) in many different blends, but here it adds a “dryness” (not to be confused with dry burning) to the smoke that tends to dominate the other component tobaccos. It burns cool and offers no bite. It could be the newness of the tin, but for me, Garnet falls pretty far down the list of cigar blends that I enjoy. I’ll finish the tin, but doubt I will add anymore to the cellar.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I'm keeping this one short, after a promising tin-nose which has a topping similar to many JF Germain blends it's downhill from there. Packs well and combusts well, but the flavours are non-descript, over blended in my view.

Not recommended, the Blue labelled Tradition is more rewarding on all levels, at least for me.

Typical mottled latakia blend in ribbon cut. Tin nose was of old dirt with a combo of fruity and cigar leaf. I'm not really familiar with "Java" leaf but I'm told it's either cigar leaf or "tambolaka-like" in nature.

This is a case where there were too many ingredients in the stew. Different flavors popped up at different times. If ever there was a tobacco that was too balanced, this is it. Nothing asserted itself much and instead it was just sort of mushy with no real overall flavor or character. Occasionally the Java leaf jumped to the fore but it would recede just as quickly in the base. The Syrian latakia was usually difficult to assess. Again, I think there were just too many components here. The perique and the java may very well have come close to cancelling each other out, but the burley and Virginias didn't pick up the slack. In looking for the word that best describes my smoking experience with this one, that word is "bored". Not enough going on here for me... or is it too much?

Barling - Garnet (1812).

A medium, nicely hydrated, ribbon which appears to be quite fair with the inclusion of each variety of leaf. The tin-note is quite fruity, typical of Perique.

The VaPer side and smoky Lat could make for a tasty smoke. Could, if it weren't for the Java. It tastes bitter, dry, and harsh, and there's too much of it. This leaves no room for any Burley to get recognition, making it the archetypal 'bad' cigar leaf blend, for me. There are a few good points, namely the burn, temperature, and tongue bite: none. But they aren't enough to redeem it.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: tolerable.

I don't like it, and wouldn't smoke it again. Not recommended:

One star.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: One month

Renar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Renar (9)

Ok, first smel from tin is definitely perique. Fruity smell with freshness. But no presence of latakia. It was kind of disappointment. If you take closer look you will see that this Syrian latakia - from famous "no enough smoked" stock. So do not expect too much. But when you smoke it - you can feel that taste of "black mistress". So I can not say it is bad blend, it is unique and has some character, but what to do - not the best. Still, I enjoyed it.