From Dan Pipe catalogue: When things just won't go on, the Jolly Joker is brought into play to bring enjoyment and relaxation. A vividly coloured black & gold Mixture of velvety smooth black cavendish, brown and golden Virginia and a pinch of burley, seasoned with delicious flavours of marzipan and hazelnut with a whiff of vanilla. Creamy sweet-tinted smoke with a fine note of roasted candied almonds in both taste and smell - a real delight!

BrandDan Tobacco
Manufactured ByDan Tobacco
FlavoringAlmond, Nuts / Beans, Vanilla
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Mild, Medium, Extra Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
2.3
DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (176)
Mild Extra Strong Full Tolerable

Honestly, this is a 1 star blend to me. And before reading the reviews on here, I thought "there can't be one person who likes this tobacco..." - well, I was wrong as I see.

When I got a sample of this the other two samples in the bag were useless - the Jolly Joker Flavouring smashed with his artificial and obtrusive smell the other samples and make them "Little Jolly Jokers" - means, they took all of the flavour of this tobacco. :-/

As mentioned before, the flavouring seems totally artifical and chemical to me - not in a tasty "Captain Black artificial and goopy"-way. It's really obtrusive to me. I can't make out any of the listed flavouring, it just smells obtrusively sweet. All I can make out is a bit of nutty smell.

No tobacco smell to be found.

Well...."brave" as I am, I tried one bowl and had to dump it after 1/4 of the bowl. Absolutely horrific taste - and I do like aromatics by times, also the stronger flavoured ones. But this is way too much and way too chemical for me, even tho I like nutty flavourings. Tobacco? Which tobacco? Theres tobacco in Jolly Joker?! ;-) No really, theres no detectable tobacco taste in there, it's drowned by the strong flavouring.

1/4 Stars - my first 1 Stars rating. I usually try to be kind and avoid rating 1 stars, when I see there's a audience for a tobacco and/or it's just not my type of tobacco. But this is must've been the worst tobacco I've got to smoke, I just can't help myself but rate it that bad.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: Dan Pipe (DTM)

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (133)

I love marzipan and that’s why I bought Jolly Joker even though I am not very fond of aromatics apart from Lakelands. Now the tin note smells definitely of marzipan, but it also smells of nuts and faintly of coffee or chocolate. So, tin note is as promised, me however although I as I said I love marzipan, I do not like the combination very much. But that’s just a personal taste, others might relish the fragrance. It comes in short and narrow ribbon cuts of blonde, red, deep brown and black colours. The tobacco seems a little dry to the touch but it smokes nicely, not too hot, not too fast.

As far as the smoke goes, Jolly Joker actually tastes like …tobacco. It is of medium strength and nicotine and has a nutty Burley-esque flavor with just a touch of sweetness. If attentive you can actually taste the marzipan but only faintly. So although this tobacco has a pronounced tin aroma, in reality it almost tastes like an unflavoured one. Casing has to be considerable but it translates to an almost plain tobacco taste.

It’s not what I expected – I bought this expecting a full blown aromatic - but it’s a very fine all-day smoke nevertheless which I quite like. Perceived flavouring is only mild and I could give it four stars being a little generous… To sum up it’s a tasty tobacco that I believe will appeal to both smokers of Danish blends as well as straight Burley fans.

I also quite like the tin-art which I did not receive as it seems that DAN tobacco is in the process of relabelling and I ordered before the process has been completed.

As for room note, it leaves a scent of marzipan together with nuts exactly like the tin-note...

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (105)

The Jolly Joker came to me just a little dry I thought, but filling and lighting was effortless. With the description saying marzipan, nuts and vanilla, I expected it to be sweeter, but now I like that it’s not. When I exhale through the nose, some hazelnut/almond becomes noticeable. After a couple of puffs I am also starting to get a nutty, mid-dark chocolate taste on the palate, that feels I bit like enhanced Burley taste in that respect, only milder.

Verdict: Jolly Joker is a good quality and rather satisfying aromatic for those who like it not overly sweet. Since Dan Tobacco designs their blends mainly for filter smokers, you’ll be able to get more taste on the palate without filter, but have to watch the temperature more carefully for it not to bite.

Pipe Used: Various with and without filter