Red and golden Virginias are cased with honeydew honey, pressed and fermented before adding a vanilla topping, and packing as a loose flake. A smooth and cool smoke, rich with flavors and scents.

BrandDan Tobacco
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Ever since I first tried this aromatic, I've kept wondering, if this is Sweet Vanilla Honeydew pressed into flakes. Be that as it may, this tobacco has been marketed to commemorate the 25th anniversary of DTM (Dan Tobacco Manufacturing), which should make it special.

The tin note of these red brown, mottled flakes is as pleasant and sweet as expected with strong hints of honey and vanilla. But there's still a faint grassy and haylike scent of Virginia tobaccos underneath the topping.

The slightly frayed slices are in perfect condition, and I pack them using the fold and stuff method. As long as you don't fill your bowl too tightly, you won't have any difficulty lighting and smoking your pipe with this tobacco. A thorough charring light, some leveling out the ashes, and a single true light will usually do. After that it'll burn evently from top to bottom.

The mellow taste is sweet and enchanting with distinct notes of honey(dew) and as well vanilla, balanced by a tangy tobacco flavor in the aftertaste. Maybe the aroma of honey is stronger in this flake than in Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, where the vanilla is dominating. It's a straight Virginia flake, so drawing too eagerly on your pipe will inevitably cause tongue bite. However, enjoyed at a leisurely pace Choo Choo Train will give you a pleasurable, mild, and dry smoke leaving some greying ash.

The room note is dominated by the flavoring and therefore quite pleasant.

Pipe Used: Volker Bier Morta

Purchased From: www.danpipe.de

Similar Blends: Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (176)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I wrote the first version of this review, when I started out pipe smoking. Now I wasn't really happy with it so I redone it today on 22th of June '17.

From my last Dan Pipe order I gave ChooChoo a 2nd try and ordered another sample. My first run with ChooChoo was at the very beginning of my pipe career, and I diddn't appreciate it that much. Somehow german pipe community raves about this, as an solid as rock All-Day and palatable Virginia blend. So I was teased to try it again, now that my taste has changed a lot.

The smell from the baggie is tempting, with rich honey, refreshening citrusy notes, as well as hints of grass and hay. This is rather an aromatic, than a slightly flaoured straight VA. Tobacco is almost not to be found in the smell, as well as I don't really find the descripted Vanilla in the smell. Has a touch of "iced-tea" aroma to the smell for me, which I find pleasing.

The flakes are of excellent quality, as usual with DTM flakes. Come a bit too moist and surely need at least 30mins of drying to get a flawless smoke.

On first light, I finally perceive the vanilla flavouring - rather mild, but it's there and, consistend, but never obtrusive, nor too artificial at all, well done! I'm always scared when "vanilla" is mentioned as a flavouring, as vanilla can be either a pile of gold or a pile of poo tastewise. This one defnetly is the first category. The sweetish Vanilla is accompanied by a honeyish sweetness, which comes really close to the taste of real honey. A gentle citrusy-fresh sourness helps balancing the sweetness and top-flavourings, as well as it makes the smoke really refreshing. A marginal, but palatable spice joins in after the first few puffs, which is consistent and gains a tad of strenght the further you progress down the bowl. Not too much of tobacco taste to detect. Slightly grassy, and maybe hints of hay, if I'm looking for it. There's also a fermented-quality to it, which again let's me think of "iced-tea", which I find to be very tasty.

Doesn't bite, doesn't get harsh - uncomplicated smoke, even if your smoking cadence is a bit faster than usually appropriate for a straight Virginia blend (like mine is). Burns slow and cool.

Summary: My 2nd try with this wasn't a revelation at all, again. It's a solid as rock aromatic based on a straight Virginia flake - yet it just isn't my style of tobacco, but I can see why there's a big fanbase for this tobacco. It's simply tasty, yet a tad to sweet and way too mild for my taste.

Even tho for me, this is just a 3/4 stars blend, I see this is a 4/4 star worthy blend, so I'll give it the max points. Compared to other offerings of this style of blend, this is a top-notch, very fresh and tasty smoke.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipes / Various Briars