This elegant blend comprises of loose cut ripe orange Virginia, fine Oriental leaves and a premium quality Latakia from the Balkans. The generous amount of Latakia provides this rich blend with its unique English character and a traditional smoky note.

BrandPeterson
Taste

3.2
Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)

I picked up a pouch of Wild Atlantic at the local B&M yesterday, so this review is based on 10 or so bowls and a palate that some would call unrefined.

WA is an English blend, VA/Oriental/Latakia and comes served as a ribbon cut in a pouch rather than a tin which actually is a nice change of pace. Pouch note is smokey Latakia and sharp, spicy oriental. I don't get too much from the Virginia really. Certainly none of the usual, hay, grass, lawn clipping, whatever you want to call it, scent that you usually get.

The blend is a ribbon cut and so packs and lights easily. My pouch was just slightly on the moist side; not wet, but it might benefit from a few minutes of air time before packing. Still, it is smokeable as is.

The taste seems to me pretty consistent throughout the bowl (I've been smoking this in a Peterson 999 that I mostly use for English blends). The orientals with their spice are dominant I'd say. The Latakia is there for sure, but this is no Lat bomb. The description refers to "generous amounts of Latakia", but Peterson's idea of generous compared to mine must differ some. In any case, if you like your Lat in modest doses, Wild Atlantic should suit. I don't pick up too much from the Virginias in the flavor, and this is often a problem for me. There's a sweetness which I imagine comes from the Virginia, so it's there if you look for it.

All in all I'd say this is a good candidate for an all day English. The nicotine hit is on the mild side and the flavor isn't so strong as to be overwhelming. I don't know if presentation should count in a review, but I like the pouch because it's easier for me to pack around, so an extra half point for that. 3.5 out of 4.

Pipe Used: Peterson 999 mostly

Age When Smoked: pouch fresh

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar Co.

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (105)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In the mail came 6 pouches of WA. I had never heard of it and had not ordered it but the box had my name on it. So like any true old pipe smoker I pulled out my knock about pipe, tamper and lighter. Opening the pouch the tobacco smelled strong. They way tobacco should. I got a strong hint of the Latakia as it smelled so smoky. The Virginia and Orientals rounded out this pouch and I had the feeling the day was going to be even better. Packing was a charm. Nice cut and smooth. First lite the tobacco soldered but stayed burning even after tamp. Relight helped the heavy smoke develop. This was strong. Taste was strong and I had to go to the cellar and pull out two pints of dark to help me along. Slow smoke and drink was in order. This felt so good. An hour later I was happy from the tobacco and the beer. I went back to the box and scrawled with a note was next month's pipe club sampling hope you enjoy. David. Lol. Gee now I hope I make it to LA to talk about this blend.

Pipe Used: Peterson 302

Age When Smoked: pouch

Purchased From: Gifted from Pipe club LA

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Once again I must tip me hat to the fine people of Peterson of Dublin Ireland. This is a top notch blend that I will certainly order again and again. The red Va's give this fine smoke great body and definition and is perfect to carry the smokey headiness of the fine Latakia that shines through and balances perfectly with the spiciness of the Oriental leaf. This is certainly a blend to please for the English lover. This is great blend to smoke in the morning and a perfect all day smoke for the steadfast English blend fan.

Pipe Used: Briers dedicated to English blends.

Age When Smoked: factory fresh

Similar Blends: Boswell's Northwoods.

simenonfan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
simenonfan (2)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I come from Cuban cigars, smoke habitually one "mini" in the evening. And… yes, I know the difference between the big handmade and the small machine built quality.

This is my first review. After reading a huge number of Maigret novels I had to try pipe smoking, so I bought two clay pipes (in order to spend not too much money at the beginning of the adventure) and two tobaccos recommended by a local tobacconist. He gave me a light aromatic blend and WA. Meanwhile, I tried some more ok-reviewed tobaccos, but I declare WA guilty of my decision to go on trying. The rich composition of flavors took me by surprise: naturally sweet, salty, woody, spicy, licoricy, smoky… wonderful aftertaste, room note obviously tolerable, even pleasant (my wife smokes cigarettes).

Later on, I bought two no-name-but-ok briar pipes. WA is still my favorite. The clue is that I find this blend at least twice as good when smoked in a virgin clay pipe. In a briar pipe it seemed to me a very enjoyable all in one taste, but in a clay pipe I could distinguish all its niceties one by one. Thanks for the experience.

Pipe Used: virgin clay pipe or no-name briar pipe

Purchased From: local tobacconist

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (106)

Summary: a Virginia-forward, moderate Latakia English with a spicy but reserved flavor.

The secret to a good English is in finding balance that still allows individual flavors to shine, and secondarily, avoiding the over-dominance of Latakia. "Wild Atlantic" has a medium Latakia flavor with the Virginias taking center stage with a rich and honeylike flavor accented by the spicy texture of the Orientals. The result balances smoky and sour with sweet and nutty, making a good all-day smoke with complexity that emerges throughout the bowl.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (175)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I picked this up on a whim from my local B&M. It is a very nice blend whose components come together quite nicely I must say. The smell of the pouch is very enticing. I agree with another reviewer that the Peterson definition of a "generous amount of Latakia" and mine differ quite a bit. This is anything but a Lat bomb in any stretch of the imagination. I would say that this is a very evenly tempered blend that produces a decent amount of smokiness and has a less than middle of the road amount of nicotine in it. It smokes down to a fine ash at the bottom of the pipe. If you are looking to expand from aromatics, then this is the blend to give a go and you will never look back. The moisture level is just about right right out of the pouch. Some may need to dry this some before smoking away, but not too long. Highly recommended.

onurturker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onurturker (14)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Great and balanced Latakia,Turkish and Virginia tobaccos.it smells latakia and it says virginia and latakia are dominant rather than turkish. it may be best choice for first pipe smoking of day like as dunhill early morning pipe and WA may urged to give up dunhill early morning pipe

Pipe Used: Stanwell H.C Andersen no.3

Age When Smoked: 0-1 year

Purchased From: jamesfox

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Early Morning Pipe.

Andy Thornton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andy Thornton (1)

I have recently become a convert to Peterson's tobacco's as I was a straight Dunhill guy for many years. All my pipes are Peterson's, so I decided to give them a try. First time I tried it, I thought it was ok, but the more I smoked, the more I liked it. When it became unavailable for a while I order 10 pouches from pipedivan (in Ireland) and now it's become my staple go-to tobacco for an all day smoke.

It's a mild latakia with a good smokiness to it and it has a slight salty mouth taste (which may be psychological due to it's name) but I find it really nice. It burns well and the pouch is a nice change as it's easy to carry in my pipe roll. I like the room note as my office smells great each time I walk into it.

This has become one of my favourite blends from Peterson's. My gateway baccy to their other mixtures. Now I find myself going for the Peterson's over the Dunhill blends.

This is a nice all day tobacco and if your a fan of English blends, give it a try.

Pipe Used: Peterson's Kilarney Red

Age When Smoked: from the tin

YardenC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YardenC (1)

Fantastic blend. Hits all those latakia smokey flavours, tempered by a good amount of yellow virginias. Smokey flavour is ever present, yet never being too strong for any pipe smoker. Comes compressed packed too. Half-way between a plug and loose cut; almost ready to pack straight from the poke. In all, making a very enjoyable and repeatable smoke.

Pipe Used: Cheap and cheerful cob.

Purchased From: Robert Graham Glasgow.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Peterson - Wild Atlantic.

Note to self: start reading product descriptions PROPERLY before purchasing! I didn't take my time when buying this so I was expecting another yucky aromatic blend such as Aran, Irish Dew, Connemara Black (I feel sick just typing that!) or something of the like. So, when I got round to opening it I was pleasantly surprised.

The initial point that exposed this as being a non-aromatic was the aroma pre light. It smells like simple tobacco; succinct yes, but I can't think of another way of putting it! The ribbons are mid size, there's a good selection of the different varieties of tobacco in there, and they have a good moistness to them.

I was pleasantly surprised on discovering that this wasn't an aro', and I was quite content at the beginning of the smoke. Sadly, contentment soon turned to boredom. By no means is it a bad smoke; it burns well, doesn't bite, has a medium nicotine amount and gives an okay room note. It just has nothing to make it stand out from the crowd. The Latakia's neither smoky nor woody and the Orientals are subdued; turn up the volume a bit please!! The Virginia's are noticeable, but to me, the idea of an English blend is all of the nuances that come from the other tobacco's. I think with it's 'quiet' taste it would probably be a good starting blend for a new piper who's reluctant to go down the sweet aromatic route.

Like I implied, it's not a bad smoke, it's okay. But I want a lot more from my English blends, A LOT MORE.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Roma

Purchased From: GQ Tobacco's

Calamiti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calamiti (47)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Oriental-front English mixture. The Orientals in this blend aren't stellar with little spiciness or aroma in them but the Latakia used is nice. The blend could be much better if there was more Latakia in it.

I'm tempted to say Wild Atlantic is bland and boring but saying that would be unjust. This is a decent tobacco made not for savouring but for all-day smoking. I smoke this when I have no time to savour subtle nuances of taste and flavour but just want a pipe without much thinking of it. I easily imagine this could be a staple blend for many people. It's cheap and simple English of a decent quality.

Pipe Used: Peterson Aran 268

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I added a pouch of Wild Atlantic to a recent tobacco order as a passing thought due to its inexpensive price here in the States. The pouch greets the nose with the Latakia amount that would be typical of a medium English blend with no scent of any topping. The cut is very thin ribbon and most pipers will find it pipe ready without the need for any dry time. Due to the cut it packs with ease and burns with ease. There is definitely a light topping applied to this blend that adds a slight sweetness to the Virginia tobacco. WA would make an excellent all day English blend at an affordable price that would rival many of its more expensive counterparts. The only thing that keeps it from being just under a four star blend for me is that it can burn a little hot when pushed, especially toward the second half of the bowl. I am not sure who makes this tobacco for Peterson, but they have created a very solid medium English blend. I will be keeping a few pouches around although for aging, I would recommend moving it to a Mason jar to ensure it doesn’t dry out.

Granny Smith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Granny Smith (25)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

I'm going to give this blend the full marks - it is flawless in what it is. And that is a superb Latakia driven English blend. The Latakia takes centre stage but the sweetness of the orange Virginia tobaccos are not hidden in the mix and often come to the forefront. The blend also contains oriental leaves which adds no doubt to the full bodied feel of the smoke in the mouth. Absolutely stunning...trust me I smoke a lot of English blends and this is up there with the best of them.

Pipe Used: Big Ben

Purchased From: The Bear shop, Cardiff

Similar Blends: Latakia Flake.

doktorstamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
doktorstamp (11)

Wasn't too sure what to expect when I obtained this, however exceedingly grateful I did. Tobacco is neither too moist, nor too dry straight from the pouch, takes a light readily, and the flavour is very soon discernible.

A really enjoyable all-day smoke, and one that Peterson seem to have got right, having had a few misses with some of their other recent offerings.

So wholeheartedly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson #68

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

Similar Blends: Squadron Leader.

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (57)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I'm just not seeing it gentlemen, the four star rating I mean. Every component of this blend is bland. This is well behaved tobacco but very uninteresting, kind of like my brothers kids. I like a "generous amount of latakia" but only token amounts in this blend it seems. Once you get through the first third there is really nothing left to look forward to other than some common Virginia with subtle amounts of condimental leaf. For a similar but much tastier and more interesting pouch, get some John Bull.

Pipe Used: stanwell briar

Purchased From: pandc

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)

A medium-light EM, balanced but without any peaks. Its strenghth is its price, and it's a good blend for light-hearted puffs and as a first approach to EMs. 3,5/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: Dubini, Chiasso (Switzerland)

Taowhywhy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taowhywhy (12)
Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Not too heavy, not too light. Perfect for all day smoke, full of flavour. The Orientals take the centre stage but by no means downplay the smokiness of the Latakia, the natural sweetness of the Virginia always gave a strong support to the smoke and it shows no domination! Very very nice! The unlit tobacco does have a touch of flavouring, smells like a little bit of fruity wine. The colour is beautiful, very fine cut ribbon!

A solid 4 out of 4

Pipe Used: Stanwell pot (Gr5 22 * 37)

Age When Smoked: Only a few weeks

Purchased From: Smokingpipes dot com

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (72)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

A nice English blend from Peterson. The latakia touch, not too strong, not too small, will satisfy the experienced smoker. An easy-smoking tobacco, not too strong, suitable smoking several pipes in a round.

Kamerling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kamerling (26)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

As a good Christian I decided this year's Lent to fast without pipe-tobacco. That was a hardly almost 2 months without my beloved addiction, but I made it! When the Easter came I decided to open something new as a reward for this sacrifice. I have choosen Wild Atlantic... ... ... ... no, I wasn't upset, neither angry. It was too bloody far away from 'angry'! I was mad! "Orange Virginia, fine Oriental leaves and a premium quality Latakia" - there is nothing orange in the pouch! Oriental leaves were NOT fine and Latakia's quality was poor - not premium! Wild Atlantic should be named rather a Dull Swamp. English blend type? Well, that even hasn't been stood next to english blends. I hope that Good Lord will appreciate my waste of time, money and celebration for Wild Atlantic. Mea culpa.

bobbysmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobbysmokes (15)

I was gifted a pouch of Wild Atlantic from a Peterson pipe rep I met on St Patty's day. I smoked this today and was blown away by it. The tobacco was perfect out of the pouch and the taste from first light was amazing. The smoky Latakia is perfect and does not over power the smoke. Bowl stayed lit during the entire smoke and burned to a one ash without any tobacco being left behind. I love this blend and will look forward to my next bowl. I don't always smoke English blends but will put this in my standard rotation and will most likely purchase again.

Pipe Used: peterson system pipe

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: gift

Similar Blends: Frog Morton cellar.

firemen20 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firemen20 (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

latakita ,english ,smooth and easy to keep ,a little bit earth small ,its very good and cheap tobacco. Peterson Wild Atlantic good, Peterson Wild Atlantic good !!!

Pipe Used: small pipe

Age When Smoked: 45

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (134)

Very nice English blend. Mild in strength yet with a good dose of nicotine with Virginias giving it body and Latakia taking center stage without being overwhelming. Strikes a nice balance between the Latakia smokiness which is smooth and reminds me a little of the aroma of ground coffee and the mildly sour and nutty flavours οf the Orientals. Could be an all day English. No bite and burning qualities are good but it gives με a little tingle in the throat. It’s not the most complex blend around but it’s good.

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (38)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend or in this case bland, should be called Mild Atlantic. The design of the packaging of the pouch is very nice, reminiscent of the design of the label on a bottle of Talisker Storm Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Beyond the packaging I find nothing to recommend here. I certainly enjoy a mild yet flavorful English style blend. It need not be a "Latakia bomb" or loaded with exotic Orientals for me to enjoy it. In fact I enjoy a number of "American" English blends that are themselves quite mild. However this blend is as flavorful as cardboard. While Latakia and Orientals should be prominent from the product description neither are particularly noticeable. There is a hint of Latakia but I don't sense any of the spiciness of or the sour n' sweet taste of Orientals. The mouth feel is thin and Virginia like and there is that nasty alkaline tongue tingle of Virginia tobaccos. I would surmise that this blend primarily is composed of bland Virginian tobaccos with a pinch of Latakia and a pinch of some bland Oriental. While I see others seem to enjoy it, this a blend that I would not recommend.

Pipe Used: Vauen Basic 9mm

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Carlo1986 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlo1986 (22)

Not so balanced Orientals and Virginia tobaccos: in my opinion, there are too much Orientals and too little Virginia (instead, Latakia is in the right quantity and good quality). It hasn't a lot of body (compared to others EM) and in the second half it doesn't evolve. However, a good quality EM, light and just for every day.

Pipe Used: Many briars

Purchased From: Local tabacconist

pinko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pinko (52)

Peterson brings to mind goopy aromatics, so I was surprised at how well they managed an English blend with Wild Atlantic. It smells fantastic, mostly like good Latakia, in the pouch.

Smoking it, I get early flavor that dies off by mid-bowl. I want more character in the Virginias and more strength in the Turkish to bring it up to a 3-star blend. The first part of the pipe is Turkish-forward with good Latakia backing, but the VAs never really do much. Once the Turkish settles down, the smoke gets boring.

I ordered two pouches, and took to mixing the second one with a vanilla aromatic to get more flavor and interest. It's nice to see Peterson trying something new, but they need to try harder. If inexpensive is what you're after, smoke Stokkebye's Proper English instead, it's cheaper and far better.