This tobacco is made from the finest Virginia, blended with Burley and Black Cavendish. The aromatic Vanilla flavor makes this smoke unmistakable ans is known to have even spoiled even the most particular of connoisseurs.

BrandRattray
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
FlavoringVanilla
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
2.5
Triumph_Rider_Pipe_Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Triumph_Rider_Pipe_Smoker (1)

Smoke a bowl of this delightful blend this morning. In my Dr Plumb pipe.

On opening the packet(i bought it loose). The aroma i got was honey. Even though its suppose to be vanilla. My girl friend. Also agreed with with me, that is smelled like honey. It is a little moist in the packet. Compared to other tobacco's.

Smoking was a surprise. As i had read the reviews on here. I wasn't expecting much. But to my surprise this is the best tobacco i have smoked to date. I got no tongue bite. The tobacco burns very cool indeed. One of the coolest i've smoked. The flavour i got in mouth. Was of honey and oranges. Sometimes with a hint of vanilla. This flavour. Never faded for me. Not completely, not even at the bottom.

Would a recommend this tobacco. Yes. This will probably now be my go to tobacco.

I think a very slow puffing cadence will bring out the Vanilla flavor of this blend. It burns slowly for an aromatic (probably due to the cut), and the natural tobacco flavor of the Burley and Virginia will be a little hard to find.

It sure has a wonderful room bouquet.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It is a same this one is out of production! That stuff is great! The Kentucky/Vanilla combo is unmatched! A tobacco with full character, quality leafs and light sweet casing! I give it the the full rating as it cannot be found! Means that, if you find it, BUY IT!

Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As with all Rattray's, high quality tobacco, gone to waste by cheap chemicals that scorched my tongue, burned my pipe and turned any Borkum Riff blend into a worthy competitor. Its only good point was a dry smoke that ended up in grey ash, but what less could I expect from Rattray's tobacco. If they can't make me like an aromatic then I give up, it's not my league.

A little anecdote: my wife is a cigarette smoker. A while ago, I handed her a VaPer and explained her how it was high quality cigarette-like tobacco with a touch of Perique, bla, bla... Today, she was really pleased at HS's room note and asked me for the pipe to try it. After a few puffs, she said: "Mild, but not bad. This is not much of a Virginia, but it sure's got some Perique". I almost fainted.

putodissey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
putodissey (4)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I smoked this tobacco in a quiet situation very slowly.It burned very well and his taste was absolutely good with a typical Virginia flavour.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

An interesting aromatic, somewhat like Radfords "Sundays Fantasy" but with a more purely vanilla aroma, whereas SF has a little fruit in the casings. The cut is irregular, large pieces of leaf in places, little shreds mixed in, but not so purposefully unusual as SF.

I was hoping for a little more flavour with the Perique and the Kentucky, but the taste is like so many heavily cased aromatics- thin and steamy, sweet at first, but becoming bitter as the vanilla departs toward the end. It smokes quite fast considering the cut, and leaves a wad of soggy dottle.

Lovers of very mild cavendish aromatics may be able to get this to work, I just wish I could get Dunhill BlacK Aromatic again...

Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Another good aromatic, very pleasant as far as room aroma and not too bad for the palate too. It isn't biting at all, burns cool but it becomes bitter towards the end of the bowl, when the vanilla flavour vanishes.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

HS is, at least to me, in the same vein as Charles Mixture (see those reviews). I tried this when a friend of mine bought the last tin on the shelf at the tobak shoppe where we worked and I'm glad it was his money and not mine. I'm sure good quality leaf was used as with other Rattrays blends, but IMO, they should have left off the Vanilla casing and it may have been much better. It wasn't too bad for about the first 15-20 minutes but then things kinda went South. Though not excessively moist (goopy & sticky), even with relaxed puffing HS tended to smoke hot, bitey and sharp with a somewhat charcoal like aftertaste as you smoke down the bowl; drying some for a time helped a bit but not much. There was a tobacco taste mingled in the flavor, but it seemed to be clouded a bit. Maybe it's the way it was cased or the type of casing used, I don't know. Maybe just my taster. YMMV. My pipes have always been kept clean so I won't blame that factor. It seemed more flavorful than Chas Mix, and given the two to pick from I'll opt for HOTW, BC or OG anyday. ;o) Nuff said. HS doesn't work for me.