Dark Fragrant encompasses the need to relax. Rich in flavor, smooth in body, a high proportion of Black Cavendish is seasoned with a pinch of Perique to enhance this sublime mixture.

BrandRattray
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Perique
Strength
Taste

2.6
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The comparisons to McClellands Dark Star are abundant but, I think, invalid. To my taste, Rattray's Black Virginia is closer to Dark Star. This one has the addition of... something... perhaps orientals? The description says so, and there is something there that is not present in Dark Star but I can't make it out. A light dash of perique? If so, it's a VERY light condiment. The virginia tanginess is by far the dominant taste.

This one dries out and holds a light better than either Black Virginia or Dark Star, neither of which I could smoke easily. Consequently, I prefer this one. It's a mellow smoke with not a lot of mystery to it. The virginias develop slightly as the bowl progresses. I'm not one to assign fruit or wood flavors to tobacco as a rule but I'll be danged if this one doesn't remind me of the scent of freshly brewed coffee... er... the taste of this reminds me of the scent of coffee. Weird, ok, but that's the experience I had! I don't drink coffee but I love its aroma, and I suppose aromas create a bit of a taste.

If stoved VA is your thing, this is a must try. I typically only smoke stoved in a blend and this one is stoved in its basic presentation so I find it a bit mild to smoke all the time but it's a good tasting tobacco that performs as it was intended.

The Rattray’s line of non-aromatic tobacco for me has been terrific at both ends of the spectrum, but with a big hole in the middle. On one end I like Black Mallory and really like Red Rapparee. On the other end, I am a big fan of HOTW, Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie. But 3 Noggins, Brown Clunee, Accounts etc. have all left me wanting. But what I have discovered is that those blends in the “middle” age very well and that seems to be the difference maker. So I started with Dark Fragrant by purchasing a seven year old tin. The age seems to have made the difference as I get a different tin note than those have described with a new tin. The aged blend gives up the typical scent of a well-aged VaPer. I would find myself in the “No Orientals” camp too. (But I did notice that the description on Smoking Pipes website claims Orientals in the blend) I just get a Virginia Cavendish with a smattering of Perique in the flavor department. I find DF sweet, and very mild. I would not compare the Cavendish here to that found in a typical American style aromatic. There is not a lot of complexity to be found either. That’s not a bad thing, but worth pointing out. Generally I smoke about 85 to 90% of the tobacco in my bowl, but with DF I didn’t like the flavor at the end of the bowl. I have to admit based on some of the reviews that I went into this blend being not very optimistic. My results could be positive due to the age of the tin, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

Sorry to burst some bubbles but, THERE IS NO ORIENTAL LEAF IN THIS TOBACCO! AND, it sure as heck isn't shag cut like someone mentioned. Who ever wrote the description needs more research on this blend. Did anyone actually taste any oriental leaf? Of course you didn't,cause there is none.

This tobacco is stoved Virginia, sweetened a tiny bit, and perique added.There is even a small description on the bottom of the tin that will tell you this. The taste is pure mellow Virginia. It has hardly any bite, as the harsh bite that Virginia posseses has been baked out. For optimum enjoyment let the tin dry out,just not all the way. DF is just right,and I'll probaly buy more of this tobacco on down the road.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)

Where`s the "Oriental?" I detect mostly Va`s. Upon opening the tin you are greated with a very moist, fruit-like aroma, and what I suspect is cavendish tobacco. As I prefer my tobak on the dry side I did let it air for a couple of hrs. Initial light was difficult and the smoke pleasant, the taste seemed musty and left too much dottle in the bottom no matter what type bowl it was smoked in. Drying of the mouth makes it a very unpleasant experience and least favorite of the Rattrays blends!! This is a Dogfight that I could never win, so I will not engage....again!!

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

The flavour of this very dark, shag-like leaf "hardly registers as smoke". While not exactly in the "warm air" category?there is a very light, English Cavendish-style savouriness to this, particularly on a virgin palate?I would recommend Dark Fragrant to aromatics aficionados who want something very mild and discreet, minus the gunk. Dare I suggest that this might be a good blend for the ladies?

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Another old favorite, brought back to life by K&C. It's uniformly dark, smells almost like raisins or undried figs, and a bit too moist for me as-is. A bit of airing out, a bit of rubbing (I think it is matured in cakes, then rubbed out), and it lighs well. It burns cool and reasonably dry, but does need more than the occasional relight. The flavor is similar ro he aroma, sweet and full bodied, but fairly simple. It was nearly a twin of McConnells Maduro, as I recall, and I smoked them interchangeably. I got a few complaints at work, but much less than my Latakia blends.

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (29)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I normally don't enjoy Cavendish in any form, but my husband had a 100g tin that was several years old that he recommended I try. At first light, I found Dark Fragrant's flavor to be very unpleasant. To my taste it was almost soapy, but not in a Lakeland way. I managed to continue on and the flavor settled down a little bit for the better. DK became more pleasant deeper into the bowl and It doesn't bite and it is somewhat mild. But in the end, even as the flavor improves, the aftertaste that it leaves in my mouth is almost metallic and for that reason it isn't a blend I will be revisiting any time soon.

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This is quality stuff. Naturally sweet Virginia taste ( from the Black Cavendish ?) , mellow, no bite, no gurgle, burns slow, I like it. I don't find the Perique or Orientals and I don't know why it's called "Fragrant". Don't think you are getting an aromatic, just that good old time tobacco scent. I noticed this mellowed out even more after opening the tin and letting it rest a few weeks. I'll keep this around, nice in a cob. Update: If you want to taste any Perique you need to stoke it up, slow sip it and it's hard to taste the Perique. Also, keep this well tamped or it will go out.

Updated 9/24/11- I'm on my second tin of this and it has an occasional place in my rotation. I remains very mild with NO bite. I actually like something stronger for my initial hit of "N" in the morning, but it can work. I find it a great "on the go" tobacco, where you don't have the time to sit and contemplate the complexity, which there isn't any. I also like it later in the day when maybe I've abused my tongue, this one will get you through the smoke. That said, it provides a very natural sweet smoke with a very pleasant aroma, without clouds of smoke, I think this would be a good choice for smoking in public ( not cloying).

Updated 11/15/11 -Ok, call me crazy, or maybe my taste is shot but I was smoking a bowl of some SG's FVF and as I slow sipped the first 1/3 of the bowl I thought I had loaded the wrong tobacco. The FVF tasted exactly like Rattrays D&F, I know, it's not even the same makeup but I couldn't tell them apart. The FVF went on to develop into a much different smoke but I had to put this out there. I understand the references also to McC's Dark Star, flavors are similar. I have really grown to like D&F.

JazzSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JazzSmoke (37)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

A dark Virginia blend with a touch of very pleasant sweetness. Light orientals and maybe a tiny perique? It IS unique and it smokes very nicely when dried properly. I don't smoke stoved Virginia much but when I do, I will reach for this pleasant blend. I have several tins stashed but it's smokes very cool and fragrant from a new tin.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Of the old line Rattray offerings (the non-aromatics) this is at the bottom of the list, at least in my book. Contrary to the above noted description THERE IS NO TRACE OF ORIENTAL TOBACCO IN THIS! NONE! Company literature lists this as a mixture of dark Virginias and does not now nor in any of the old literature I have studied EVER contained Orientals. If you smoke it there is no way you can say "I taste Oriental" or for that matter darn near anything else. This is the only Rattray offering I have ever tried that has gone foul. It combines weak, stringy flavor with harshness and essence of pipe funk. No matter what I smoked this in I found it to be without charm, and I gave it a chance in almost every VA dedicated pipe I own and a few Latakia ones, so strong was my dismay at a Rattray letdown.. Were I stuck on a desert island, this would be better than nothing, but would most definitely not be my first, fiftieth, nor five-hundredth choice.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Dark stoved Virginia, very similar to Robert McConnell's Rich Dark Madouro. This one is, on the contrary, actually possible to keep lit.

Dark fragrant has a pungent sweet 'n sour aroma. People around me said that it smelled as if i had never cleaned my pipe, (read: sour) It is indeed hard to smoke this one dry.

The cut is uneven and DF is hard to pack and keep lit, but if you let it dry for some time and smoke it slowly, DF will reward you with an unusual topping that is quite delicious.

A nice change of pace if you like pungent and long for something PUNGENT.

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

The first few times that I smoked Dark Fragrant were unremarkable. Tonight was different. As I sat back and slowly savored the tobacco, the taste came through. It was subtle, but distinct. I enjoyed a Cavandish like flavor, but it was tobacco. It was not overly sweet, but seemed to be just right. It burned and smoked effortlessly. There wasn't a single unpleasant moment in the smoke. This is one of my favorite Rattray blends and it can be ranked in the company of some pretty fine and well respected tobaccos. It's not for everyone, but it is a Virginia/Oriental blend that is completely enjoyable. I have so many tobaccos that seem too similar. This one is different in the best sense.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (27)

Rattray's Dark Fragrant is a very pleasant tobacco for those who enjoy blackened, cavendish treated Virginias. The downside of Dark Fragrant is that it lacks complexity and becomes a bit boring in the course of smoking a full pipe.

This tobacco is slightly sweetened in addition to the Virginia sweetness. The room note is a very pleasant natural tobacco smell that will offend only the most demanding non smokers.

The perique note is subdued, although there is enough there to rule out smoking by the perique haters. Based on an earlier top description which mentioned orientals, the previous reviews include many objections to listing this as a component. These reviewers were correct. This is a darkened Virginia with just a tab of perique, no oriental included.

The ribbon cut is fine with me. I do prefer to dry this out a bit by opening the can about three days before I start smoking it.

I have given Dark Fragrant only two stars. Actually I could go with three stars in terms of the way that I smoke it--only a half pipe full at a time. That way I don't tire of its simplicity.

Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Well I'm definitely going to stay away from Rattray for a while. I like their Vapers, but the other VA mixtures just miss the spot for me. This was quite bland and aside from a little whimper from the perique, not impressed one bit. HOTW is their flagship and I'll stick with that blend.

Smoke in peace

Dr. Wu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Wu (2)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Now this takes me back to when I first started drinking green teas after years of black. I kept trying to steep the Dragonwell to make it taste like Assam. You need to appreciate the subdued flavors. That's how DF operates. Disregard the dense black appearance. Yet another contradiction of the pipe. This is to be learned as a base flavor. Dry it a bit and try it in a small bowl. I like it straight up in a Falcon. And why not? Access thy Inner Codger. Button that shirt to the top, lads. Get a Ford Falcon to go with the Falcon and the Fragrant. Now the tin is 100 grams so get creative. I sometimes dry it and add it to Frog Morton on the Town. It adds something sweet without being sugary at all. It does not interfere. Sort of makes the frog taller, a lanky elongated flavor. Try it before you judge. Fragrant Morton on the Dark Town.

RusticAuthor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RusticAuthor (5)

This blend was a very pleasant surprise for me. I actually purchased it by mistake, confusing it with Sweet Fragrant. When I opened the tin, I was disappointed by the aroma, which I can only describe as sour molasses (I can understand why a prior reviewer described the tin aroma as "sloes jam and vinegar"). The appearance is nothing special, being an almost uniform dark brown. On the plus side (for me), the tobacco is moist. The tobacco feels slightly, but not unpleasantly, tacky. I didn't dry it before lighting it. It took a bit longer to get a good charring light, but it stayed lit thereafter, with judicious tamping.

The surprise came when I took my first puff. This is an exceptionally smooth (no bite) and mild (no detectable nicotine for me) blend. It has a mild toasty sweet flavor which lasts from beginning to end. The sweetness is probably due (at least in part) to some form of sugar casing, but I can detect no flavored topping. Like another reviewer, I don't understand why this is called "Fragrant", which would seem to suggest an aromatic. Nonetheless, this is a top notch tobacco, which has a permanent place in my rotation. Highly recommended!

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

Tin note is nice, like raisins and fruitcakes. The tobacco is very dark, and looks like little ribbons with waves. Very nice looking and aroma wise. Not much nicotine, smokes very smooth and mild. I really wanted to like this alot, it has a very nice appeal, but alas, it is just so mellow you forget about it after awhile and about mid-way through a big bowl, you wonder why you didn't pack one of the more livlier blends you have.

It really does have some moments but not as many as you'd like for the price of the tin. It doesn't give off to much perique either so don't think you are going to get a spice on the tongue alot, you won't. Not bad, but not great, though good effort for nice looking tobacco.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Dark rather than fragrant.... in the can it smells of sloes jam and vinegar, once lit it smokes smooth and cool with a mild sweet-sour taste. I don't mind for mildness, at least when there are fine subtelties to caught with patience, but this one is too wispy: just an homeopathic dosage of Perique over a flavourless stoved Virginia, neverless it leaves a fusty sillage in the air and a sour ghost in the pipe. Not really bad, simply yawner.

kanular Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kanular (8)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Need some air before being smoked. It's cool, really cool tobbaco. But let it dry a little bit.

Happy puffin

GSTQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GSTQ (31)
Very Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Appearance is a dark brown ribbon. Tin smells of old coffee and fruitcake. Tastes very lightly sweet.

A rather weak smoke that, while quality, hasn't anything for me to recommend. Lovers of mild fare might enjoy Dark Fragrant.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

If you associate maduro or black tobacco with strong flavors and a nicotine hit, then think again regarding Dark Fragrant. This is a very mild and smooth smoke, perhaps too mild for those looking for the robust flavors of a VaPer blend. Although not an aromatic like many “black tobaccos” on the market today, this does have a nice aroma of raisins and spice in the tin. On opening I find the contents too moist for my liking, and a day of drying improves DF in my opinion. It is a short and wide ribbon cut which packs easily and stays lit nicely, burning to a dry grey ash. DF is cool, smooth and never bites. It has very mild flavors of raisin, spice, and a very subtle sweetness. Clearly DF is for the sensitive palette. It is not very complex, but in my experience a “top shelf” tobacco. A unique mixture and smoke!

Update: I smoked several bowls prior to this update in large bowl pipes. Today I tried it in a smaller group #4 size and I found DF more flavorful. I am not sure pipe bowl size is a factor, but is something to be aware of.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin aroma is at first like sweet, warm prune Danish. The aromas of green hay, toasted flavors (coffee), sweet & sour notes, whole wheat toast, dried fruit, and autumn leaves. The sparsely used Perique adds a ghostly, distant, earthy scent all but lost behind the other prevailing aromas The aroma is rounded, soft and balanced. Very pleasant indeed.

Easy packing, lights and burns very well.

Less complex on the palate, but still nicely balanced. Warm Virginia flavors, nutty toasted notes, dry piles of leaves, and black pepper. The Perique, even in this small measure, plays a small (but noticeable) part of the whole. Light but rich tobacco, quality leaf is obvious, no flavoring just “dark, fragrant” stoved Virginia with a pinch of Perique.

Delicious toasty Virginias, warm edible flavors. Perhaps a bit too subtle, but stoved tobaccos are by nature lighter and milder. I think this blend speaks of quality, masterful blending, and wonderful flavors, unfortunately it just doesn't speak quite loud enough. I really like this stuff, an easy smoke, but it could definitely benefit from a little more gusto - flavor-wise.

3½ Stars

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My Dark Fragrant is pitch black tobacco. The description from the retailers catalogue said:"Dark Fragrant is a matured blend of Black Cavendish and dark brown Virginia leaf. The deep baking and roasting during manufacture produce a surprisingly mild yet excellent flavour. Dark Fragrant is recommended for breaking in a new pipe and its slow burning qualities make it a favourite with those who wish to settle down with a pipe." So this is what I got and reaaaally liked. It is the kind of tobacco to which I'd dedicate a pipe or two and I'd keep in my weekly (not daily) rotation. Balanced and interesting taste

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

A different cookie for sure, that one...The tin aroma is of molasses, figs, raisins and something like strong dark coffee. I could have sworn there was a topping added, but according to K & K website, there is none.

See, it has to do with the deep fermentation of the tobacco. Which is predominantly consisting of black ribbon cut tobacco with an occasional brown shade.

So this is Black CA with some perique, but just enough to be discernable with its peppery twist that enhances the sweet side of the CA.

Let the tobacco dry until it is dry before filling in your bowl, and don't stuff it too hard. It is kind of hard to keep lit and necessitates some relights.

Don't expect anything complex with this one. Smoke it quickly and it will be acrid. Smoke it slowly, give it some attention, and you will like the experience. It will encompass you to relax for sure!

Not a tobacco that will be part of my daily rotation, but I will regularly maintain my stock.

Definitively a keeper!

Regards, Davie

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Meh.

First: either my tin is mislabeled, the components have changed since 2005 (my tin) or the top description is wrong. My bottom label reads "Black Virginia Blend W/Perique". I suppose Virginia tobacco can be cavendish processed, but usually once that is done, it is identified as such. Orientals? huh.. none detected in taste or by label.

It's not BAD, just boring. The most interesting aspect of it is the unique ability of self-extinguishing, sort of like Indiana cigarettes. I can smoke most blends to the bottom with 1 or 2 lights, not this.

Taste-wise, yeah, probably cavendish. Drug store blend fullness and depth Chop it finer, you get Borkum Riff. Perique? No. My mouth and throat prickle at its presence. Too bad, because I like the taste of perique. I would have endured the prickle for a taste of it.

Rattray's offers some truly fine VA blends, and it was probably why I bought this to begin with. This is bowlshit. I'm putting the remaining 50g in my kitchen to extinguish grease fires.

dogwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dogwood (17)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I love this stuff. It's an english cavendish crumble cake (rough ribbon) with a pinch of perique and light maple/rum casing. It is a very rich but smooth and relaxing smoke. The flavor is toasty, nutty and of dried fruit.

Dark Fragrant is my number two smoke after old gowrie. This is an excellent blend of the best tobacco.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

This review comes after smoking the better part of a 100 gram tin that has been in my cellar for almost 3 years. So, I know that the tobacco has been aged properly.

The tobacco is beautiful to look at and the tin aroma is delicious. Sadly, that is where the positives end. There was almost no flavor to be found, tat is, if you can keep it lit. Yes, I know, it is fired, but I have smoked many fired tobaccos in my day and find that this one is just downright unburnable most of the time. Not to mention the tongue bite when you do manage to set fire to it.

Not worth the effort in my humble opinion. Stay away unless light tobaccos make you light headed. Then, this may be your answer.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The stoved Virginias of this tin have an unexpected lightness and sweetness. I think there is an extremely mild addition of casing in this tobacco which makes it tasty.

It needs to be dried a bit. I've tried to smoke it slow and gently, but I couldn't reach to keep the bottom of the bowl dry.

If you are looking for a different, sweet and effortless smoke here you go!

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Second 100grms can of DF, the first was five or more years ago.

I will save You all from my "technical" report, and cut this review my shortest.

DF is surely a twin of Mc Connel's Maduro, I dare say it's the same blend minus the rhum topping.

I like quite much the sweet tongue this quasi black mild unsweetened Black Cavendish plus tiny Perique leaves, and learned how to manage the puffin' rythm in order to avoid hot & steamy smoke and the palate scorched.

Everything is mild in DG, so I do simply consider it as a pleasant morning smoke, or a change of pace from my more robust blends.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (27)

this is very good but i would not go so far as to rate it as good as Dark Star. it has a natural sweet flavor, packs easily due to being fully rubbed out, lights and burns well, and has a fair room note. i will smoke the tin completely to the end but i am not sure it is one i will seek out again.

frankluke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
frankluke (17)

this is like a rough cut McC dark star. similar in taste only dark fragrant has some kind of coffee taste to it that really hits the spot. i feel that DF smokes better in a pipe with a wider chamber, more flavors develop and i get the slightest hint of perique.

yugolover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yugolover (4)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I bought two cans of this today. All I can say is this is one great tobacco. I wanted something to get away from the aromatics that I have been smoking in the past, and this was a great choice. I was tired of burning the inside of my mouth with the aromatics. This is great transitional smoke if you are wanting to get away from aromatics. It's a must try. I will be buying more in the future.

BriarFire~ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarFire~ (24)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is based on a 4 oz. tin that is at least 25 years old,a gift from my friend Cris,it once belonged to his late father who was a pipe tobacco collecter and pipe aficionado.I smoke this in a hand made Ben Wade which was also a gift from Cris.

Upon pulling the ring on the tin there was a loud gasp of air rushing in,looking down the tobac is done up in a large broken flake style,very meaty jet black pieces heavily laden with sugar crytals,very impressive viewed in the sun light.

Tin aroma is very pungent and of well done and fermented leaf,earth and soil.Almost like a compost pile,but in a good way.

I'll let the tobac "breathe" for a few minutes then gravity feed the bowl three times,its then ready to smoke.It takes three or four lights to get things going,It has a medium body,its dark and very sweet and has some serious Va. tang,an excellent smoke indeed,no bite or even a hint of bite,I'm not certain if there is any oriental leaf used in this,but its for sure more than only stoved Virginias, there are subtle hints of Xanthi,the same condiment leaf used in Mc's 2025.I would say the nicotine is more on the medium side.

All in all a very good tobacco,the high quality is evident and a thrill to smoke,now to get a new tin and compare!Enjoy

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

That one was different! The casing must involve some cane sugars / molasses if I am not mistaken. A good smoke for those that like some orientals and some toping as well! I tasted a sampler and I can say that blend is in my list!

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)

Why so hard on Rattray? This sealed the deal with me and Rattrays. It smells of roasted prunes and burnt toast, but the flavors are certainly not imposing and if you like MC/Dark Star you will like this. its like Dark Star Light..But much easier to light and keep lit. A Fine tangy aged VA. If you are a oriental fan, they are not noticable.

Graemor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Graemor (3)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've had this tin of dark Fragrant sitting on my shelf for about 3 years. I decided I needed to open it and give it a go.

Dark, moist (for VAs) tobaccos and a dried fruit aroma greeted me from the opening. The fruit wasn't specific to me, but it recalled plum more than raisin, and was muted. Stoved, fermented and aged is what my nose really seemed to sense.

The tobacco packed, lit and burned well, but it was a very damp smoke for me. The flavor was fine in my opinion - nice virginias and solid notes from the dark tobacco. I've always loved stoved VA, and this was no disappointment.The fruit aroma didn't really carry over onto my palate or the room smoke. The ladies and gents at the bar I frequent also found the smoke unobjectionable.

I'll gladly keep a tin of this about. I may let it set open a bit to lessen the moisture and see if I can attain a drier smoke than the ones I got from taste-testing. I'll need to grab a tin of Dark Star and some other stoved VA-based blends before updating this review.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Dark Fragrant now moves my Rattray?s experience to 5 blends that I truly enjoy. While distinctly different they include ? Accountant?s, Professional, Jocks and Highland Targe. I?m still not able to enjoy the aromatic offerings but I?m not an aromatic smoker.

There seems to be at least 2 different versions of this tobacco being enjoyed (as it were) by pipers on these pages. One, I?ve read, without any Orientals, and one I smoke with a light condimental application of Orientals. Moreover, one that from what I?ve read, has a topping, and, one that I smoke that has NO topping whatsoever.

Here?s my take on this mysterious and perhaps deceptive blend. Predominantly, dark-stoved VA?s, very much in the style of MC?s 5105, however, much softer to the touch and less biting which suggests that there is Red VA as part of the VA compliment. This mixture is devoid of any Bright VA. I?m also betting that this blend has a very modest amount of Oriental (read that - but not any Cyprian Latakia) I wouldn?t be surprised if there is a mélange of Orientals such as Dubec, Samsun and Drama all pressed and stoved together with the VA?s. However, I can offer no authoritative evidence for my hunch, yet. I taste no perique. Whether it is there or not, I cannot validate since I have seen no such labeling on my supply which is all relatively new from 2005.

My experience has been a bit different than many others here have noted. I find it no problem with packing, lighting or keeping it lit. It smokes very mild but tasty just above a smolder and while aggressive puffing will not bite ? it becomes rather tasteless. But, when I keep it just easy going, it is very tasty and kind to the mouth. No question about it, it?s a fine all day smoke. I have become accustomed to milder blends of late and this would qualify as the lightest of them all in my rotation, but it does satisfy me and that is why I smoke a pipe.

It burns more quickly and that has a lot to do with the form of the tobacco, which is short pieces of ribbon of varying density. It can be rubbed out further to permit one to load more tobacco in the bowl, however, my choice has been to smoke it in a large bowl without packing it in too tightly and am happy to tamp a bit more often to enjoy this mild but flavorful smoke. The room-note is light, pleasant and it does not hang or permeate clothing or surroundings. The ash is light grey and fluffy. No dottle whatsoever. I typically let it air for 15 to 30 minutes in a wooden bowl I use for precisely that purpose. All in all, I find this a delicious, mild blend with mild-medium taste that is complex in a very refined understated way. It takes relights very well. I can?t comment on DGT because I am about the immediate gratification technique and 30 minutes prep time is all I?ll invest. This would be a good tobacco for a new piper looking to experience VA?s that taste good, are mild, yet a good representation of the darker VA flavor scale. I enjoy this much the same way as used to enjoy MC Dark Star and 221B series Black Shag - however, I find this to be much more refined and flavorful. As I said earlier on, I believe there to be condimental Orientals in the blend which do not detract from the VA flavor. If anything they round out the taste in such a way that it delightfully hums a wonderful taste from start to fluffy grey end. I enjoy this tobacco in any pipe. However, when I smoke it in pipes that are devoted to VAs the taste is simply remarkable.

Cheers, VC

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Mellow mix, Not really sweet- a little fruity in the raisin/ fig paste way. Doesnt develope, its nice enough to try.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

The stoving here is not excessive but is still heavy enough to interfere with keeping it lit. This is a blend of rich and smooth character that is enhanced with coffee on the side. The Oriental leaf is subordinate to the Virginia character and flavor. The tin fragrance is almost coffee like in nature. It is best, smoked slowly and indoors, since much of it's mild presentation would be lost in open spaces. If I were a zealous advocate of stoved blends, I would give this my highest marks. I smoke these blends only on occasion when I'm not engrossed in English or Balkan blends. I'm not appreciative of the residue left nor it's tendency to leave undue dottle. Still, it is not a repulsive mixture, just not one of Rattray's better blends.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a noname Meer

csimser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
csimser (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

For the smoker who enjoys Virginia tobaccos above all others, and has gravitated away from latakia blends, I recommend this highly. A blend of Virginias, stoved and ... well ... unstoved ... it is dark and slightly moist upon opening. It may take a minute to have this lighted fully, though opening the tin and drying briefly will cure this defect, but once lighted it burns well and evenly. The taste is complex - naturally sweet with the stoved component easily detected - yet is clearly an "all Virginia" blend unadulterated by flavorings or additives.

Unlike some of my colleagues, I find this truly enjoyable ... and a superior smoke to Dark Star and 2035, both of which I enjoy greatly. In part Dark Fragrant has the advantage of being a ribbon cut tobacco, obviating the need to rub it out, a distinct advantage for one as indolent as I. Moreover, it has a full and satisfying flavor, yet is mild enough in body that it can be smoked first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with no worries. For the smoker who enjoys Virginia tobaccos above all others, and has gravitated away from latakia blends, I recommend this highly.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

If I could by this tobacco by the pipefull, I'd buy about one a year. A tasty tobacco that just does not come up to the standards of other stoved tobaccos such as Dark Star, McClelland's 2035, McClelland's 5120 and my all time favorite: Stonehaven.

All of Rattray's non stoved Virginia tobaccos are excellent. I suggest they leave the stoving to others.

Black Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Dog (25)

Rattray's Dark Fragrant is a nice VA, however somewhat mild and monochromatic. It is mostly dark stoved VA's, almost cavendished, with some Oriental hiding in the background. The topping is subdued, but tastey. I've been enjoying this more than McC 5100, which has been a stand-by VA for me. This could easily be an all-day smoke if one were so inclined. I will likely buy another tin or two for the cellar. As another reviewer mentioned, I find it better when smoked in a large bowled pipe.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

According to the manufacturer, this is a mixture of stoved VA and stoved cavendish. The two work well together. In the tin, the aroma is must/sweet and while smoking the aroma is not unlike a combo of raisins and chianti. Not a bad smoke at all, just nothing exceptional either. It might be just the ticket for someone looking to move away from aromatics and into the world of more natural tobaccos. My wife even approved of the aroma.

An interesting tobacco... Dark with some lighter specks, with a sweet caramelized plum smell. A bit moist, but nothing to woryr about. When you light it up correctly, it goes on for a long time.

It is quite delicate, yet rather tasty: a sweet, and at times slightly sour, taste, and no tonguebite. It can be a bit watery and light at times, but it's OK.

Not the most complex of tobaccos, and it can grow a bit boring after a while, but I find it definitely better than Rattray's own Black Virginia (compared to which, Dark Fragrant seems more "cavendishized"). Tastier, and better behaving.

I don't know if I will buy more of it (it takes me long to finish 100g of it, since I usually prefer other kinds of tobacco), but I can't say it was an unpleasant experience... and my wife loves the room note!

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

Dark Fragrant greets you with a burst of spicy Oriental flavor at first light. The dark Va?s quickly catch up and even things out at a mild level. The flavor progression is linear from there giving a slow increase in taste. It never becomes very strong, no straying off into anything different that what it starts with. If you like the first third of the bowl, you?ll love the second and last third.

I found this blend to be bordering on unpleasant in a narrow bowl, but when smoked in a wider bowl it became fairly enjoyable. A cool smoke that burns dry and clean. The lack of dimension makes it something I would not smoke all the time. Two out of four stars.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

Black and dark brown ribbons. I had thoroughly dried out the tobacco before smoking. It packed and burned well. There is the very subtle flavor of dark pressed English flake lurking in the background. However, this tobacco offers more of a smoking sensation rather than outright flavor. I think the Va. flavor has been hammered out of this tobacco in the processing. Toward the bottom half of the bowl it smooths out very nicely. I will have little difficulty finishing the tin, but I will not be keeping DF on hand. Paddy.

kcook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kcook (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I smoked several bowls of DF in larger pipes. This evening I smoked it in a Dunhill group 4 size bowl and found it somewhat more robust in flavor. Not positive the bowl size makes a difference here, but think its worth testing out.

Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Nice, interesting tobacco. Pure dark Virginia, mild in strength, with a tangy?almost sour/sweet?flavour quality. The tobacco seems to be broken flake, in very short crimp cut dark (stoved)pieces. This feature makes it difficult to pack, because you cannot rub it out any further and at least I tend to clog the upper half of the bowl, allowing too much hot air on the lower half. Then, when I tamper it, the lower half tends to clog, making it very hard to get a good, nice draw, thus keeping it lit. Otherwise, the taste is very nice but it can be a bit harsh on the tongue and palate. After a bowlful of Dark Fragrant you?ll need a glass of water! I read somewhere that this is a tobacco for those who wish to settle down with a pipe. Due to the time it takes packing it, keeping it lit, tampering it and relightening, there is no chance of doing anything else but paying attention to the pipe. I enjoyed its zesty flavour, the sharp spiciness, and, at times, the mellow sweetness it achieves. However, IMO, it is too difficult a tobacco to deal with (i.e., the exact opposite of Golden Sliced).

Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Now here is an unusual blend. The stoved virginia is really stoved, almost looks burnt in fact. The darkness of the well rubbed out leaf indicated this blend would pack some punch. Instead, you get a very subdued virginia flavor.

The aroma emanating from the tin was similar to McClelland's Deep Hollow (light and sweet), but this is much more flavorful. There is some sort of casing added to the leaf which, I suppose, makes this an aromatic blend, but the casing was so light it almost passed right by my tongue without notice.

If you want something sweet, light and a little out of the ordinary, try this Rattray offering. I will not rush out to get another tin (it took awhile to get thru the 100 grammer I purchased), but a year or two down the road I'm sure I'll grab another. Delightfully different!

Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

Upon opening the tin, you find a dark VA with a slight raisin aroma. This taste comes thru mildly the same but is overshadowed by the VAs and results in cool, mild smoke with no hint of a bite. Since it's a ribbon cut as compared to the flakes that I normally smoke, I find that it burns rather quickly but not hot at all. Pack it tighly to avoid relights. However, even by trying varying bowl sizes and air drying some of the tin , I could not eliminate the wetness @ the bottom of the bowl. Overall, an unusual VA blend with little change in taste throughout the smoke that you might enjoy.