The perfect smoke. This light tasting, full aromatic tobacco is a special recipe of Cavendish & Va. tobaccos mixed with broadleaf Carolina. It has a pleasing aroma and is blended mildly for the palate and the tonque.

BrandRattray
1.8
Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

My enthusiansm for most aromatics waned a while back but I still hunt all the time for those which do not suffer the usual failing of the type: tongue bite, burning hot, wet, or too fast, cloying, sickly or tasting artificial. This blend is one of the few exceptions I have unearthed.

I have recently drifted more in the direction of a light to medium broken flakes and english mixtures but this is simply one of the best tinned aromatics I have ever tried.

The tin note is of rich vanilla and coconut with a wiff of caramel.

The 2 part blend fills easily and fires up a dream. the smoke is cool all the way though with a light caramel taste with a hint of natural coconut at the end. Pleasant and sweet but not cloying, With just a nip of bite if drawn on too hard. it is a tad strong perhaps at the very end of the bowl. It burns out to a dark grey ash with very little bowl fouling or dottle. The room note is light and subtle and unintrusive. A great aromatic akin to Sunday's Fantasy but a more even blend.

Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Rattray Charles Mixture . This one does have quite a strong unlit aroma which is a little too much for me , a bit of Nuts , a bit of sweetness , a bit of Tobacco and an incongruous Perfume like smell too ! The moisture is superb , with that said it takes to the flame brilliantly ! The flavour from it is quite an even mix of Cavendish and Virginia with a great Nut taste as well . Vitamin N is great , think Black Mallory strength and it is inhaled with superlative ease . Tongue Bite only occurs if I go too hard , so gentle sips totally eradicate this for me . Room Note , superb ! It's a very even mix of the Cavendish and Virginia with a lovely Nut quality to it . To be fair , the Vanilla is very nebulous for me in all aspects of this weed , Aroma , taste and room note but that aside I find this great !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (33)
Medium Strong Medium Strong

I received a pack of this mixture. The immediate smell was.....WEIRD. Couldn't place exactly what I've smelled. Eventually got some fruity, sweety notes and coconut. Lit a bowl and was not impressed. Don't like the coconut and the "weirdness" kept lingering on. Eventually changed it by adding some Latakia and made it much bearable.

Good thing this one is discontinued.

Dries Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dries (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The First one I review. When the tin is openend you can strongly smell the fruity smell. Really nice. Once lit its very pleasant to smoke. Indeed it hasn't has to much deeper tastes but just a real pleasant tobacco. Maybe gonna buy an extra tin for later on my smoking career.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Charles Mixture - I think I will just let Charles keep this mixture. Quality tobacco gone bad with flavoring. This weed looks lovely in the tin but smokes like pancakes with maple syrup. I was wondering why I got such a good deal on this tin and a can of Terry Red. I am moving on...

Graemor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Graemor (3)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

My first review, and I just want to say I'm happy to be amongst such a fine group of people! Onward...

I acquired as a gift a Rattray's sample pack of 6 tobaccos, Charles' mixture being one. Upon opening the gold foil sample pouch, I saw a pretty tobacco of golds and dark browns, and I was greeted loudly with the smell of fruit, mostly a cherry-like aroma. Here I must interject that I like cherries two ways: fruit off the tree and in a well-made homemade pie. There are no exceptions.

In an effort to be fair to the tobacco, I let the pouch open for airing to see if the initial aromatic qualities would mellow out a bit. After about 30 minutes, the cherry overtones did subside enough for me to pack a moderately sized Alpha apple and give it a go.

Lighting was work. It took three Swans, but finally the tobacco consented to the flame. The initial smoke was sweet, but not overly so. In fact, there was a berry-ness about the tobacco for which I was glad, given my first impressions. However, the flavor was so subtle it was barely noticeable past a slight sweetness. Keeping the stuff lit was also irritatingly difficult.

Unfortunately, there were no discernable tobacco flavors to back up the very mild casing. I'm sure, being a Rattray's blend, that the tobaccos were top-notch, but the flavor just wasn't there. As I progressed into the second half of the bowl, I did notice a fair amount of smoke, but my visiting friend (and fellow pipesmoker), had this to say about the room aroma -- "Eh." Also, for a rather flavorless blend to my palate, the tobacco did develop a fair amount of heat on my tongue, unfortunatley further alienating me from it.

There may (and obviously are) fellow pipe smokers who would enjoy this blend, and perhaps they have a tongue more suited to this mixture's subtleties. I, however, must pass.

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)

Originally a Christmas gift, this came straight out of left field with its volume of flavour. From the packaging, one could be forgiven for placing this as a general English blend, rather than the full aromatic it actually is. The British Racing Green and gold script accents (of the newer packaging), being rather regal, traditional, and staid, are rather misrepresentative of the taste. Actually, from the off, I liked this a lot. This tobacco's got a decent amount of casing that'll supercharge the lover of aromatics and send those who like traditional tastes squealing like stuck pigs, with a hot poker up the clack-valve. Evidently, It's not for everyone, and yet, for me, liking both English blends, and as a person happy to advocate neo-tobaccos, the initial experience was far from derogatory. I didn't have the issues with the bite that some of had, which I certainly find more prevalent in the Peterson line, and I found it a relatively smooth smoke, when tamed. However, one would be best sipping, as opposed to erratically chuffing this weed, erring on the side of caution.

It's a no-holds-barred aromatic, with a robust sweet coconut; ever so almond-like finish, which smokes akin to drinking a Chinese pearl tea. It's fairly easy to see where those who draw comparisons with Pina Colada are coming from. I certainly didn't find the casing particularly abrasive, and it was nice to partake in an aromatic where taste follows the aroma suit - a rare thing, indeed. However, It's not as pungent as folk make out; It's certainly representative in the smoke, but it's better on most other coconut- flavoured offerings. The room note is a definite winner with non-smokers in the house, too.

Initially, I'd have been inclined to attribute a three star rating, but upon letting the tin air for a short time, It's marked personality was lost, and even the Virginias became flat, papery, and nondescript. I think if I was to buy this again, then it would need to be in sample or pouch quantity, rather than tinned at 50g. Certainly, It's worth transferring this to an air-tight container, and for once, I'd dissuade folk from actually letting it breathe.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Like Marlin Flake this one is a good Virginia blend and maybe tastier and sweet in the palate but it bites a lot!!!

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Another shit in a tin blend by Rattray. Sour and bitey with no personality even though soaked to the bone in casing.

Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium Pleasant

Sour and bitey aromatic, without much vanilla taste (which is nauseating even if you just take a sniff to the tin). An aromatic with no personality like many others, drowned in its casing.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I do not smoke many aromatics but I do hit this one up occasionally. I think it is appreciable once put in terms of context. This is blended by a German company, whom have a much different take on aromatic tobacco than the English, French or Americans do. When in Germany, I smoke this often, as it is cheap, popular and no-one carries Gawith offerings. Yes, it will leave a flavor in your pipe. No, it isn't terribly complex or multifaceted; I think it isn't meant to be. It is worth a try merely to experience a different take on what we sometimes take to be a constant. No more, no less.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

I had tried this a while back and found I just could not deal with it. The perfect smoke? Don't think so. Full aromatic and pleasing aroma? Sure, many may possibly say that. Light tasting and blended mildly for the palate and tongue? Not to my palate & tongue. I like many of the Rattray's tobacs and keep them on hand. I thought CM might be one I could smoke in the house as a compromise for LSW. WRONG! She liked the room aroma, as did I, but I can't get past the hot smoking, sharp tasting properties I find w/this blend. Perhaps it's me and my taster and/or the fact that I'm really not a fan of this style of full aromatic. Maybe I'm biased. I'll stick with the other Rattray's stuff and be content at that. Gave it a good shot, but it does not work for me.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this thinking it was going to be a high quality aromatic blend. In some ways this is high quality in that there is good leaf in the blend as is the case with all of the other rattrays blends i've tried, however this is very heavily cased and is not to my liking. It reminded me of a pina colada.If you are into highly flavored tobaccos than this may be a hit for you, however this just did not go well for me. I will say that when I tried it in a meerschaum it was not as overwhelming although it was still not to my liking.

Le'Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Le'Pipe (11)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is not,"the perfect smoke" as the manufacturers decription touts.In fact,I would'nt even desribe it as a good smoke.It is more akin to something you would smoke on a dare. For all you "Parrot Heads" this may very well be the blend for you! This is the taste of the islands gone wild. Pina Colada Oh Yeh..tobacco flavor zipppppo.This stuff tastes like a Hallmark shop candle smells. No joke, I'm coming to the bottom of a bowl full as I type this review and I'm astouded at the absence of any tobacco flavor from start to finish.To it's credit I must say that it smokes very cool. A surprize for tobacco cased this heavily. What a pity to waste a perfectly good tobacco tin on this crapolla. Sorry Charley....I mean Charles.

Mild to Medium Strong Mild Pleasant

This is a wonderful aromatic if you are into that type of thing. It is blended with typical Rattray quality and has great burning characteristics. It is very similiar to Blue Note, only with a big dose of coconut thrown in. I like Blue Note as well if not better, but only once in a blue moon which means one tin of either blend will probably last me forever. If you are looking for a high quality aromatic however, you can't go wrong here.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Very Full Tolerable

Well, based on Rattray's other fine offerings (e.g., Marlin Flake and Black Mallory) I thought I would give this one a spin around the dance floor. Whew! What were they thinking! This is emphatic coconut, kind of reminds me of what I would imagine a scented candle tastes like.

Near the bottom of the bowl, a kinda-sorta tobacco taste comes through, but up till that point it is totally dominated by the topping. Interestingly, the tin aroma is not quite as obviously coconut as the taste is. Those of you who think that the taste of an aromatic is never as strong as the flavor need to try this one out. At least one bowl.

While I can imagine that the room note might be pleasant to some, I find it cloying, the kind of cloying that would probably put a motion sick person over the edge.

This tin will last me a good long while, probably a lifetime.

Punchy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Punchy (19)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this blend based on Rattray's reputation and after smoking and thoroughly enjoying several of their other blends. Also, from the description on the tin it sounded like a great blend.... Hmmm...tin aroma delicious, beautiful golden virginia, Carolina broadleaf, Cavendish, dark leafed varieties, very pleasant to look at, packs easily,(filled one of my best pipes to the very top). Now for the the reward, touch of a match and started puffing. Not bad, kind of sweet, no wait, awful sweet....I mean awful and sweet! This is an aromatic gone berzerk. I tasted very little tobacco and a lot of Pina Colada. If you like the taste of burning coconuts then you'll probably enjoy Charles Mixture, otherwise you might want to pass on this one. Oh well, even the Yankees lose once in a while.

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Well...I suppose this is better than most aromatics, but since I am not really an aromatic fan, I don't know that I can say that with authority.

Upon popping the tin, a lovely boquet greets the nose, and for a tobacco fan like myself, that is not good news! I knew from the start that I was in trouble. I loaded up anyway and was greeted with a mild aromatic taste that reminded me of honey, chocolate, vanilla and caramel all at once. It does smoke fairly cool for an aromatic, but was way too sweet to truly enjoy.

If you are a fancier of flavored tobaccos, then Charles Mixture is probably a classy blend for you to try. If you enjoy real tobacco flavor though, there are many blends in the Rattray line that will float your boat. Charles sank mine!

Colonel Panic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colonel Panic (42)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

OK, if you don't like aromatic tobaccos, run the other way. This is sweet and full with a strong coconut flavor and a very tart aspect. It's nice in a way, but I only smoke it outside on walks because it's so darned highly flavored that it can be cloying. Bystanders like it quite a lot though, and there is a bit of decent tobacco flavor underneath. Still, once this tin is finished (in a year or two!) I won't be buying more. Too much of a good thing, unfortunately...