Dark in color, but mild is the only way to describe this blend. What we wish to convey to the reader that it is gentle to the palate.

BrandRattray

3.1
Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

This is one of the most anonymous blends i've ever tried. Upon opening the tin i smelled fresh hay, and cigarette tobacco. It packs easily and burns fast. For me, it is almost impossible not to puff away like a panicked WW2 soldier with a filterless Player cigarette in his mouth. Where's the beef i say? Not in this blend.

Too light, too fast, too little of everything. However, the quality of the leaf is, as always with Rattray's, outstanding.

So if you prefer a light, bright, pure virginia-blend similar to Blackjack and Capstan Mild, give this one a go.

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (130)

This, for me, seems to be right in between Old Gowree and Hal O' The Wynd as far as strength goes. The components come together nicely to form a good solid smoking experience. I had no issue with tongue bite at any time throughout the bowl. This blend might need to be dried out somewhat before smoking, but for me, it was quite fine right out of the tin. YMMV on this point. This lights easily and stays lit with no further thought necessary. It burns down to a nice ash and has just enough nicotine to satisfy. Recommended.

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (34)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Recommended if you're into the Kentucky Periquie Virginia combo and you don't want too much flavour. For me, a nice go to blend when you've head 'nuff Northwoods or Countryside. Not crazy about the tin note and the room note is vague but pleasant.

For some reason, this one gets better and better the deeper into the bowl it gets. A little moist upon opening (which blend is perfectly ready for deployment upon opening?).

It'll be in the regular rotation and the dryer it gets the more I find myself reaching for it. Not quite Cellar or Bayou and thats ok because I don't think its meant to be. Took some coaxing to get lit and required a couple of extra burns and thats ok with me. Again, less fuss after drying out some.

I did catch a wisp of that citrus flavour the first few bowls but I agree with reviews below, the flavour is certainly flatter than most.

I still like a lot though. The War Department says she has other favourites.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not having tried any Rattray's before, I bought this one just to try something completely out of my comfort zone. The size of the tin too was something of a change, so I gave it a try.

The aroma on opening was nothing special, a little leafy and oaky. The packing and lighting, despite it being broken flake as observed by previous reviews, is easy enough, much like a good ready rubbed. The smoke, though, doesn't thrill. I find it a little reminiscent of Condor Ready Rubbed, not in a bad way, but not as good as the original. It's a little like the girl next door who looks a little like Natalie Portman, a bonny enough lass, but won't be replacing the aforementioned starlet in Black Swan 2. The last third, however, does strangely, but pleasantly, add a hint of cream and become mellower. The room note at point of smoking is okay, nothing to write home about, though does have a habit of popping up hours later in far pleasanter fashion, pleasantly reminiscent of that left by Gold Block. The tongue bite does kick in early but fades quickly, and after a few smokes, doesn't rear it's ugly head again. The major downside to this is the hacky, awful taste left in the mouth, not sure I can pin it down exactly, but it's like leaves, happy to smell them, wouldn't want to taste them though.

On the whole, not a bad smoke actually, just not too thrilling really. There is a certain blandness to this that is quickly overawed by that hacky mouth taste. That creamyness in the last third though, is a plus. Also, a 100 gram tin is just way too much, I now find myself smoking it just to get my moneys worth. Would I buy it again? Not in a 100g packet, but maybe in 25g or 50g rounds instead. On the whole I think two and a half stars would be fair.

Update 20/05/2014

Had a couple of more 100g tins of this stuff, the first bought out of nostalgia and the second out of desire, and I have to say I've changed my opinion entirely of this. Gone is the bland roughness I found first time around and arrived is a slightly sweet, slightly watery spice with all the hints of the earth a tobacco can provide. It serves me very well as an early evening, after dinner smoke but can be enjoyed throughout the day. I'm so glad I tried it again, so much so that I'm close to dedicating a pipe to it and keeping some in for good measure.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Fairly uniform dark brown broken flake. Very little variation in color. Slightly too moist right from the can.

Aroma: Great aroma of stoved Virginia, hints of chocolate and raisins.

Packing: Can be packed as is into medium or large bowls, or rubbed out for smaller pipes. Lighting:

Initial flavor: Starts very mild, slowly increases in flavor to a medium level of intensity. Good sweetness from the Va. leaf, and some depth added by the stoving process.

Mid-bowl: Straightforward simple Virginia flavor. Lighter than its cousins Hal O' the Wynde and Marlin Flake, with nice layering of tastes. Not as complex as other members of the family, but this one could be the "all-day smoke". Can be enjoyed with morning coffee, and continued through the day. Maybe too light for the evening, when I enjoy a more full bodied blend. Burns cool and dry at any reasonable smoking pace.

Finish: Well behaved right down to the end. Leaves a clean gray ash.

Summary: An excellent mild to medium Virginia, strongly recommended for the novice or the veteran.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

Another simple, subtle RATTRAY virginia. This is a degree less stoved than OLD GOWRIE, and perhaps for that very reason some may find it even more kaleidoscopic. An indispensable classic from old Perth.

Brown Clunee . Delicious ! The mixture is of a good moistness and gives off a dominantly Virginia aroma with a slight vinegary touch to it . It lights with ease (due to the moistness) and burns slowly and evenly , leaving a white ash . The flavour of the smoke is prominently Virginia but you get a very noticeable Perique spiciness in there too . If you draw too harshly it will give some Tongue Bite but if smoked with ease it allows you to enjoy the flavours without Bite impeding . It is a bit of a dichotomy between "relaxing and excitement" as one minute you can just sit and ponder life with the Virginia and Kentucky but then you have the lively Perique "zing" in there as well ! A very enjoyable blend for me .

Pipe Used: Butz Coquin

Purchased From: Smoke King

It's not as strong as some of the other Rattray blends, but sometimes, I need a lighter fix, and this is good for that. The perique is lightly noted as is the Kentucky. The Virginia dominates the flavor; hay-like, grassy, with not a lot of sweetness. It burns well, but will bite or be harsh if you puff hard. Three stars may be pushing it a little, but it's good for what it's supposed to be, and the quality of the tobacco is typical for this company.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I found Brown Clunee rather bland, especially compared to the other great Virginias from Rattray's. I could agree with others that this is akin to HOTW light, it lacks the heft and complexity of HOTW as well as the nicotine hit. Not much else to say, it isn't really remarkable in any way, just a basic flat Virginia flavor.

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Objective: Nicely rubbed out tobacco. Moderate moisture content. Good amount of tobacco for the price. Mild to moderate amount of smoke yielded after some drying time, not a good thing for me since I like to a good deal of smoke.

Subjective: This was a very mild tasting tobacco, almost flat. The perique was barely noticeable. The weed packed well and stayed lit with just a few relights. The aroma was that of hay and to some extent a little nutty. I prefer stronger blends, but am glad I got to try this one. HOTW would be my choice of a VaPer from this line.

GSTQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GSTQ (31)

Appearance is a medium brown broken flake. Tin smells akin to a quality fruited cake with slight grassy notes. Tastes lightly sweet with light bakery notes.

Brown Clunee is the all-day Hal O' the Wynd. Old Gowrie lacks the grassy and bakery flavours of HOTW, but Brown Clunee has them, albeit much more lightly. Very nice, and a favourite when I want something milder. Brown Clunee does not bite. I much prefer this to Old Gowrie. All Rattray's, like fine wine, benefit from some airing.

My major issue with this tobacco is that it lacks depth that I am seeking. The Kentucky doesn't add the body that I'm looking for. The quality of the tobacco is good and it ages well and there is a small amount of sweetness that I do enjoy. I just don't know if its worth the cost of cellaring tins when there are so many other brands in this niche. This blend is worth a taste if you are a fan of similar blends, but for me, I'm on to new ventures.

Wood Chuck Gardner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wood Chuck Gardner (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Unnoticeable

Smoke it slow and whispy and you will be rewarded with a semi-sweet, spicy and toasty smoke.

Puff too hard and it will get bitter and nip your tongue.

Setting : Pre-dawn hour with strong black coffee while reading tobacco reviews.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (20)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Edit: I was a bit harsh with this one. More than half-way down the 100g tin, it's grown on me and there's definitely a nice sweetness in the smoke. Don't expect a VA with body, but this is a quality tobacco in its own category (light VA).

---------

Disappointing. Has basically the same tin aroma as Hal of the Wynd, but the similarities end there. Lacks body, flavour, depth and complexity. Almost becomes a chore to smoke. I hoped it might be a decent morning Virginia, but it isn't. Golden Glow by Samuel Gawith or Golden Sliced by Orlik are far better examples of a Virginia-based tobacco that is both mild in nicotine and flavourful.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

With Brown Clunee, I finally found a Rattray's that I love.

BC is in between Old Gowrie and Hal O' The wynd both in terms of strenght and richness/taste.

The tin aroma makes it a lot closer to HOTW, it is also similar in taste, but not as harsh as I found HOTW to be.

The perique was quite present starting at half bowl, perking things up, marking a nice combinaison with the sweetness of the matured Vas ans spiciness of the DFK.

An excellent offering from Rattray's, I will regularly stick to that one.

If you are a fan of VA/Per with some Kentcuky, you must try this wonderful partially rubbed - out flake. It is simply delicious!

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Just popped open a new tin of BC. The tin has a faint scent of that McClelland's vinegar. I removed a bowl full from the tin and set aside to air. In about 5 minutes the vinegar was gone but the tobacco still felt damp, I allowed about 20 minutes before I loaded a pot. My initial light gave off a nice Virginia scent as I began to sloooow sip the BC. Even with this technique I felt all along that I was in for some tongue bite. The first 1/4 bowl was a nice sweet Virginia with the feeling of an increasing bite. Then the tobacco smoothed out , the bite was gone and the sweet Virginia was the main player. The Kentucky must be adding significant spice even while slow sipping. This tobacco required concentration although it remained lit trough the whole pipe. It was only near the last 1/4 of the bowl that could I distinguish any Perique and that was minimal. BC is very one dimensional, I hope that some additional cellaring will develop this tobacco because I think it has real potential. I like Marlin flake better, only because I don't remember it smoking as hot.

Updated 2/2/12- Well I've had this cellared for almost a year and it still bites bad. I tried it with and without moisture, in various pipes and sipped slow. I can only get to 4 puffs, it has got to be my chemistry. This is unsmokable to me

Updated 2/14/12 Well hating to throw out tobacco , I decided to home stove this . I placed this in a mason jar and stoved it in the convection oven at 175 degrees for 2 hours. Hey , I got to 10 puffs before it bit. I'll be giving this away! Got to be my chemistry

Updated 4/22/12 Did I mention how I hate to throw out tobacco ? I just Re-Stoved this at 195 degrees for an additional 2 hours. I think this has helped but not cured my bite problem. The first 1/4 bowl is fine, but the second quarter is hard on my tongue, and the last half is fine. The taste is good , sweet bread. I think I could smoke this once a day but I'll probably just give it away

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)

Another nice blend from Rattrays. "Lighter" in all departments than Marlin or Old Gowrie and thus an easier puff away smoke. Needs a biggish bowl and I pack it without rubbing out. Easy to light provided it has been well aired and one match light possible. Here comes my permanent objection to the practice of Rattrays: this blend as well, has way too much humectants, it can be actually moist even if it is open for a year! I don't get tongue bite from it, but then I smoke Virginias all the time so probably have my way to tackle this. As for the Perique, there must be very little in there, its probably the "strength" one feels toward the end of the bowl.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (135)

This is a beautiful smoke that needs some preparation in order to bring out it's wonderful qualities. I loaded a bowl directly from a freshly opened tin and paid the consequences with a taste that was one dimensional and bland. Then I took enough for a bowl and rubbed it out and left it to dry for half an hour. The difference was amazing. The flavor was nuanced and delicious. The virginia was in the forground with the burley there for support and coolness. The perique peaked out with frequent little bursts of subdued spiciness. This is a beauty that can only get better and better. Light nicotine and almost no aftertaste. 3 stars for now, but who knows. Love those Rattray virginias. Intoxicating in the tin. Delicious in the bowl.

Update: I've found that the flavor is best unrubbed, dried out and packed loosely. I love the way this tobacco burns: just smoldering, without large plumes of smoke. Providing the tastiest experience I've ever had from a predominately virginia blend. This is a 4 star blend and one of my top 5. I love puffing on this while at my computer. I find it calming. What a gem for those of us who still believe that less is more.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

Brown Clunee comes in ready-rubbed form, though there are going to be some larger pieces of broken flake in the tin. In appearance, the tobacco is a fairly uniform medium brown color, with a slightly acetic aroma usual for a Rattray Virginia, and only a slight bit high on moisture content. I found that with about 20 minutes of drying time the tobacco could be rubbed out a bit more, and had reached a very satisfactory moisture level. The charring light reveals the excellent quality of the blend. Once lit, the flavor is light and relatively mild – especially when one is used to Hal O'The Wynd – but also very satisfying. Though not as sweet as some Virginia blends, the flavor is rich, a surprise given the description of “mild” for this tobacco. Easy puffing is advised early in the bowl to guard against bite, but otherwise, this is a tobacco to sip and savor, like a fine whiskey. By mid-bowl the flavor deepens a bit. The level of sweetness rises even though the likelihood of tongue bite seems, to my palate, to lessen. The complexity of flavor also increases, with a creamy undertone to match the sweet overtone, both going with a fine, earthy Virginia flavor. Toward the last third of the bowl a lot of nuance develops, making this a tobacco worth savoring to the very bottom. The taste becomes a mingling of fresh grass, raisins, and creamy hints of vanilla. The original sweetness remains, and the level of nicotine asserts itself at this point; some smokers may experience a bit of nicotine head at the end of the smoke. I would recommend Brown Clunee enthusiastically to those new to Virginia tobaccos, and happily to those who have already discovered the pleasures of Virginias.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

My tin -- from 2003 -- had six years of age on it when I tried it. (I'm just delinquent in writing it up here.)

For me, this was a fine soft Virginia, with distinctive lemony/citrus undertones. It seems to be weighted strength-wise (i.e., nicotine-wise) between Old Gowrie and Hal o' the Wynd (to keep things in the Rattray family). Hal o' the Wynd has a distinctive sweetness and a just-as-much-as-I-want nicotine level, but could I distinguish Brown Clunee from Old Gowrie in a blind tasting? I don't know. Brown Clunee might be softer, rounder, smoother; it might be more nuanced. (I know how vague all of this sounds.)

What I do know for sure, though, is that it's a highly enjoyable smoking experience.

NOTE: I'm extremely sensitive to perique (in a bad way). If there is perique in this blend -- and I'm not sure there is -- it is present in near-microscopic quantities.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

On Sunday I fretted over what I may smoke for my morning hike. See, on Saturday I smoked, all day, Brown Clunee in a Vollmer & Nilsson Apple with delight. When the BC is dry to my liking in this light-weight, open-draw pipe I enjoyed what is nothing less than pure tobacco pleasure. I know that Sunday is a day of rest but not for the BC and V&N. I again hit a cadence, a rhythm, with this tobacco and pipe much like yesterday. The afternoon brought a round golf with more BC in the V&N. The evening included a lecture and more of the same tobacco pleasure. Brown Clunee is a fine blend that I can smoke all day. A blend of Virginian, Perique and Burly (Ky) in varying degrees. The flavor strengthens throughout the bowl and never fatigues my palate. The side stream and room note have a sweet spicy note that pleases me. And it has enough nicotine to satisfy. I certainly enjoy the other Rattray Virginians; Brown Clunee just works best for and with me- day in and day out.

bryantm3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bryantm3 (29)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this tobacco after hearing a little bit about its namesake. Brown Clunee was named in 1952, after Rosemary Clooney had a torrid love affair with Sidney Poitier, resulting in a child being born that would be George Clooney's half brother in 1948. His name was Samuel L. Jackson. Charles Rattray, being Sidney Poitier's cousin, and one of the only ones privy to the truth about his and Miss Clooney's love child, jokingly called the young Samuel Jackson the only 'Brown Clooney'. This eventually led Mr. Rattray to name his tobacco after Jackson in 1952, changing the name slightly to avoid suspicion, to 'Brown Clunee'.

Unfortunately, I have to say that when Charles Rattray first blended Brown Clunee, he must not have had an inkling of a notion of what Samuel L. Jackson would be like as an adult. His hardline acting style, often associated with tough heroes or cold-hearted villans, is not found here at all. Instead, Brown Clunee is a mild tobacco that offers little taste unless coaxed along. When right out of the tin, this tobacco smokes best, with a mild golden Virginia taste that eventually evolves into a citrus taste, with a mild taste of orange peel or lemon juice slowly grazing over the tongue. When smoked slowly and deliberately, this will last the entire bowl and be very enjoyable. However, when the tobacco is dried out, it loses this interesting citrus taste and becomes a quite boring, bland tobacco. Because of its difficulty to coax flavour, this blend can only deserve 3/5 stars, or 2 stars. Needless to say, if Charles Rattray had seen into the future, he would've made 'Brown Clunee' a nicotine-heavy, dark dark virginia blend with plenty of punch as a tribute to Jackson, but alas, hindsight is always 20/20.

dogwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dogwood (17)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I tried BC as an alternative to Hal of the Wynd which is one of my favorites but sometimes has too much nicotine for me. BC is a little bit spicier and less sweet than Hal. BC is very good but lacks the same sweet balanced complexity of Hal. It is an excellent example of a brown flake.

3.5 stars.

Brown Clunee was the first straight virginia I ever smoked - waaaay back around 1984 or so. It was good enough then that I began smoking straight virginias almost exclusively, and it has a special place in my heart as a result.

After years of smoking other, more developed virginias and Vapers, this one is best reminisced about rather than smoked. I found its sweet/sour taste offputting and bland in comparison to its stablemates Hal O' The Wynd, Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie, as well as other blends from different blending houses. Aging does not seem to serve this blend well, either, as a 14 year old version added a bit of of a soapy taste - kind of like sucking on a dryer sheet. I am mixing this with straight perique to see if I can spice it up a bit and tame that sourness.

Not recommended for my own smoking but somewhat recommended for those who like a very mild smoke and one that has no pretensions of depth or complexity. Good for those starting out on virginias as a teaser to show them what lies ahead.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening the tin B.C. has the tipical smell of Va: dried fruits and dried Medicago Sativa, it smoke easy with a smooth flavour, the taste is naturally sweet with a slight bitter note that probably derives from Ky leaf. I can't detect any Perique as K&K declear on official website. Nothing bad about this blend but.... for me is boring.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I´m used to take it with me when going to the pitch. I load a large bent bowl and off we go. There is no hurry and so I sit there for nearly two hours puffing my pipe and enjoying myself. What else should I ask for? I still have it with me when I´m travelling although I only have one pipe reserved for this tobacco.I smoked it more often before I got to know Gawiths brown flakes. Easy to use, good taste, unprecious simply good but not my top notch at the moment. Might change again. Good quality tobacco, good starter for virginia lovers, to get to know the secrets of slow smoking, because it is a bit sweeter than the other big Rattrays.

Captain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain (4)

Rattray's Brown Clunee is a sweet and mild Virginia presented in a broken flake. If you are looking for a big nicotine hit, such as delivered by its stronger brother Hal O' The Wynd, look elsewhere. This may have some honey added but I wouldn't swear to it. I can't really taste anything artificial so it doesn't really matter.

Now manufactured in Germany, I find this little changed from when Rattray actually manufactured this in the late sixties. Some have remarked that this may be a "starter" Virginia and that may be true; but I have stayed with it all these years. If you have the luxury of an well aged tin of this flavorful treat then you will have truly found your reward. This is in my Golden Circle and remains a delight.

I am normally a burley fan but I was given some of this blend in a trade. I also tend to be a fast smoker but this morning I was in no hurry, I brought out my rusticated bent Italian pipe that is on of my best pipes and I don't smoke it daily as it is a real showpiece. But I knew it was dry and had no shadow in it. So I filled the bowl, sat out in the gorgeous day we are having an along with tea, I spent two hours savoring this blend. All I can say is WOW! It is a virginia so I made sure and sipped it slowly and it gave me a mellow, sweet, delicious smoke and really made my morning. It was great with black tea. It had the fresh cut hay aroma, and it had a lot of flavor so I never wanted to puff fast at all. I could see this could be a tonque biter, but it never did for me and I smoked a very large bowl of it at one sitting, burning all the way down to a fine white ash. I will want more of this one and that is saying a lot for me. Simply put, it was not complex but was delicious and I am already wanting to return to it for more. Three star because I had to relight several times. Really should be a three and a half.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

Quality Virginia, I tend to smoke this before lunch. Sometimes I smoke it FOR lunch. To me this Rattray isn't as complex as others and could be described accurately as monodimensional. I find it builds a bit more nicotine towards the end of the smoke than Old Gowrie.

Do Clunees come in other colors than Brown? What the hell is a Clunee? For that matter, what the hell is a "Gowrie"? Let's all lobby Rattray for some nice young Gowrie.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

April 2008 update:

I guess by my smoking habits and what's aging in the cellar, this fine flake has lost to Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake. The pace at which I need to smoke this so as not to be tongue-bitten does not deliver enough flavor for me. I have to add Perique to increase the flavor.

March 2005: There is not much to compare this to, except the heavier-bodied Best Brown Flake by Samuel Gawith (a "Hall of Fame" flake). Brown Clunee is overall darker and more naturally flavorful than the recently unsmokable Dunhill Light Flake and Orlick's Golden Sliced.

There is a tang in the tin aroma dissimilar to McClelland flakes. Which "tanginess" I like more will require several dozen more tins and years of intense experimentation. But, hey, somebody has to make the sacrifice.

BC is a lively, sweet smoke, but substantial, almost rich. It has more finesse than Briar Fox (which is good, but can get sooty at times and is cased).

Like most flake blends, I enjoy this in larger pipes, preferably pot shaped (wide mouthed, shallow bowls). BC burns cleanly to a medium gray ash. It leaves the pipe dry and clean.

Brown Clunee, Old Gowrie and Hal O' the Wynd are morning, afternoon and evening smokes respectively and with obvious generalization, though some might prefer the nicotine hit of HOTW earlier in the day. All can bite at the provocation of poor technique and failure to reduce the moisture to just above the crumble state. All three are delicious examples of its genre.

Why the darker stoved Marlin Flake pierces like a cornered porcupine, while these lighter offerings with more sugar can be managed to ecstasy, is a mystery.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am rewriting my review as I have decided this is the best of what I keep. It starts ot clean, fresh, light and slowly reveals itself one layer at a time. It progresses to a spicey VA like a stoved, aged variety. In a large pipe it will progress furthur to compete with the likes of Dark Star. It is not difficult, or fickle, opening the tin has little effects on the taste, The 'Proffessor sates it best on http://www.pipes.priss.org, or is it http://www.priss.pipes.org? ah, heres what he wrote and be sure to check out his site, there's a man who has smoked quite a bit!! Brown Clunee BROWN CLUNEE Body: 6/10 Nicotine Strength: 7/10 Flavour Depth: 8/10 Flavour?sweetness: 6/10 Flavour?fruitiness: 4/10 Flavour?floweriness: 3/10 Flavour?smokiness: 2/10 Flavour?mustiness: 2/10 Flavour?nuttiness: 1/10 Bite: 6/10 Room Aroma: Sweet-musty This comes as dark, reddish-brown, broken flake with a few nearly black patches. Much of it has been pulled-apart to the point that you might think of it as ribbon-cut rather than as broken flake. The scent in the tin is a complex mélange of light and rich. I smell some of that sour, wine-like aroma that many aged red Virginias offer, notes of cinnamon and spice, and the faintly sweet and grassy wafting of a flowering meadow. As I light up, my nose says that some of the sidestream smoke smells simply like good, clean, no-frills tobacco. It comes off as fresh-tasting and a little sharp, but as quite neutral. Nothing is jumping out to wow me?yet. Hmmm... a nice, light, natural sweetness is definitely attracting my attention though. Very subtle... I do like this. After another five or ten minutes of gentle puffing, I'm finding this almost as spicy as it is sweet. The spiciness whispers to me that puffing with any amount of vigour would be an error, so I puff onward carefully, but deliberately. Another ten minutes or so and it seems spicier than sweet. In fact, I'd now say that this is downright rich-tasting, though I could not have said that at first. Somewhere around the half-way mark, I start to taste the flavour equivalent of that complex range of scents that I smelled in the tin. This didn't strike me as a strong tobacco at first, but I've suddenly attained that wonderful zone of relaxation that only pipe smoking can provide. What a fine evolution to complex flavour this has been! In the lower depths of the bowl, the flavour is unexpectedly dense and a little woodsy even. It's much smoother as well, though it still has a distinct drying effect on the palate. Puffed as slow as possible, it keeps improving. Brown Clunee occupies a special place for me. I love its taste and it has provided a few of the most memorable smokes I've ever had. I like it enough to have carried it in my pouch from time to time, but it never satisfies as well as when I sit down at home to properly appreciate the singular experience it offers. It burns well to a fine, light-grey ash, but the broken-flake cut keeps it from burning hot. If you're not used to smoking Virginias, you might find that this bites (I can't smoke this too often), but it's such a rewarding tobacco that it's well worth exploring. Smoking this leaves an aroma that is fairly plain and a little sweet and musty. '01

Ps: As this is really drying on the palate-it is fantastic with tea. It is 'the lemon' in my tea so to speak.

jmartindale Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jmartindale (22)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I think the Rattray family of blends are among the best on the market today because they are largely subtle and require some technical expertise on the smoker's part to extract their greatness. It's fun and fairly easy to find the sweet spot of each Rattray blend and as a group, they all burn remarkably well - they definitely burn better than most of the popular boutique blends that are often reviewed on this site and that's an important attribute to consider if you are a beginning pipe smoker.

Brown Clunee is a mild, ready rubbed VA flake that's easy on the tongue and perfect for anyone seeking a mild, easy burning, all natural VA blend.

I let it dry out before I smoke it - I take a large clump out of the tin and spread it out to dry for at least a day - after that, it's perfect. You can either rub it out further or just load the thick strands right in your pipe - either way works great.

BC has superb burning qualities (after the dry out period) so be careful to puff slowly, although personally, it's never bit me even after some moderately agressive puffing.

This is not a complex blend, but it is a great blend - perfect for the warmer summer months. Within the genre of mild VA blends, Brown Clunee easily earns Four stars.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Delicious, delicious blend. I don't think it's as tasteless as people are making it out to be. This has a good deal of flavor, though yes, it is somewhat one-dimensional. But what a dimension! I love this stuff at any time of day. Brown Clunee, Old Gowrie, and Hal o' the Wynd are blends I will always have on hand. I reach for them more than anything else.

This tobacco is like Hal o' the Wynd in flavor, but with the mellowness of Old Gowrie.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

What a marvellous tobacco! This is a really pleasant all-day smoke, never tiring, naturally sweet (I smell prevalently prunes), cool, round and creamy, with hints of pepperiness here and there. No kind of bite to the tongue, it caresses my palate and is a true pleasure to the nose. Extremely easy to fill into the pipe, which remains always fresh, and leaves a medium grey dry ash. I agree that it comes quite moist, so I left the 100grms can unsealed for almost a month, now it's ready for my daily use. A lighter cousin of HOTW, which I'm prepared to visit soon. Highly recommended!

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The sample I tried was a bit moist, but it packed easily and lit very well. It had no hint of tongue bite, but I puff pretty gently.

The flavor of this tobacco is mild,sweet, and smooth, yet it has a hint of spice in the background. This grows a bit stronger near the bottom of the bowl. This is excellent tobacco, and I recommend it highly.

I get so many different taste impressions from this tobacco, it is amazing. Raisins, nuts, licorice, and of course, sweet Virginia. If you take your time and go slowly, they will reveal themselves to you. My favorite mild Virginia.

I like to smoke this in a large Canadian billiard. This allows the flavor to intensify. Simply scrumptious.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

SPICY, STEAK SAUCE

Fantastic Virginia, starts mild and easy- builds to a rich almost spicy sweet. Deserves a home in your cellar. Almost meaty spicyness,smooth.Cant smoke it daily.

jdsmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jdsmoke (5)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A little sweeter and yeastier than Old Gowerie or HOTW.. Overall a very good tobacco, but I miss the sharper flavors of the other Rattray virginias.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I'm very surprised at the one star ratings given by the knowledgeable reviewers listed here. Perhaps they experience what happenned to me.

I packed Brown Clunee into a favorite VA pipe and found what can best be described as "unremarkable." I experienced the same results with two other pipes. And then...I found a smoke equal to Rattray's Hol o' the Wind, Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie.

This one deserves your attention if you like Virginia's.

Prospero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Prospero (3)

Herbs, grass, spices, butterscotch notes. Hints of flowers and toffee. Try this with Cragganmore 12.

D'Jullius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D'Jullius (19)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A sweet that evolves through the bowl to a strong spicy VA. A good pick.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)

Rattray's Virginias are very unique, to me anyway, very much unlike anything you will find from McClelland, Astley or the Lake District crowd. They are very fresh, vibrant and, if mishandled, harsh. Of the line this is the least in strength and character and fills in the notch of the everyday all day Virginia. I often fill a bowl with this if I am walking, hunting or working and cant pay proper attention to a more subtle blend. All in all a fine blend for general use, it Accountants Mixtur, and Virginia Woods are some of my favorite outdoor tobaccos.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Unlike its brother DF, Brown Clunee leaves me with a much more enjoyable smoking experience, a 180 turn. This tobacco is also a bit on the moist side out the tin but, lights easily and smokes all the way to the bottom leaving a nice ash. Though very light, it has a fruity undertone that makes it very pleasant and does pick up strength nearing the end of the bowl. A morning smoke, it doesnot require your full attention except to enjoy the nuances of this subtle tobak. Though not complex, it reminds me of early morning at high altitude over the Pacific Rim. A quiet and very peaceful flight! A few tins cellared for future morning flights into the stratosphere!!

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (20)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An honest, unpretentious VA. There is a slight woodiness, alongside the faint raisiny sweetness that appears now and then. The overall flavor is otherwise somewhat gentle and reliable (i.e., there are no great surprises throughout the bowl), and I find it tends to bite only if I puff too hard in order to try to extract more flavor from it - which is to say: the flavor is appealing and satisfying if not strong. But Brown Clunee is not the heartiness of Marlin Flakes or the unique richness of Old Gowrie. Instead, it deserves to be smoked slowly and lightly, which is pretty easy given its good burn qualities right out of the tin.

Good on its own, I also find this works well also for blending (such as mixing 50/50 with SG's potent Brown Rope #4).

As a low-strength, easy-smoking VA, this would be a good "beginner " VA, as other reviewers suggested, but I think alot of its virtues would be appreciated best by a more experienced VA fan.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

As a fan of Virginia Flakes I give this one a big thumbs up! For the first smoke of the day or an all-day smoke for lovers of this type of tobac it is exceptional. Some softening agent added which is no impediment to a fine, steady smoke. For those of you who find Flake tobacs a hassle, give this one a try. Highly recommended.

12-02-2004 Another great one from Ratray's

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Not quite as rich as Marlin Flake or Old Gowrie, mostly broken, almost fully rubbed out flake.

Packing and Lighting: Easy to pack, a little moist upon opening tin. After a couple of weeks, it dries sufficiently to loght easily.

Initial Flavor: Pure, light VA with high notes immediately the focus.

Mid-Bowl: Not much change, high flavor notes recede a little.

Bottom of Bowl: Nice, round, mellow VA flavor with the typical sweetness.

Overall: This is very good "entry level" VA blend. It is easy to puff away on without much needed focus to get flavor and keep tongue-bite away. Leaves a fine grey dusting on bowl when done. Unfortunately, I have been spoiled by Marlin Flake, so this one won't be in my rotation. I will, however highly recommend to those beginning to tread the water of VA's.

Rating: 4 out of 5 points

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

Brown Clunee left me with the impression of "why would you buy this again when you could get HOTW instead." The tin aroma has the typical prune-fig smell common to Rattray blends, but no casing is detected. Upon smoking, the flavor is smooth on the tongue, cool, easy, with a rounder, softer feel than HOTW. Still, there is nothing of any great interest here, and nothing that would pull me back to buy another tin.

Not a bad red-brown Virginia in ready rubbed form, although with a very delicate taste. It does not bite, and has a nice fruity natural flavour. Smell in the tin is of pears and dried fruit, very good. The taste is similar, but in a much more subdued way. I still prefer the strength and sweetness of Hal O' The Wynd and Marlin Flake, or McClelland's equivalent products (which are a bit more sour and bitey, though). Right after opening it is a bit too moist for my taste. Not very complex or deep, but easy-smoking. A bit reminiscent in taste of (but lighter than) Full Virginia Flake by Gawith.

Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is another excellent experience as I work my way through Rattray's Va line. Not as musty as Old Gowrie, not as strong as Hal o' the Wind, not as sharp as Marlin Flake, this blend stands alone on its own delicious merits. If you've been smoking nothing but 1792 flake or Penzance, than sure this baccy might seem a little light in the loafers. But when smoked slowly and deliberately, there are many pleasant surprises in store. The flavor is all rich Va with quite alot of sweetness. This doesn't translate into bite however, although there is some spice involved. The room note is spectacular for a straight Va and I even got a compliment from my wife. It may not be near as impressive as HOTW or MF but just the same It fits the bill for a nice, light Va that would be a great all dayer. By the way the cut of this tobacco is extraordinary and perfect for packing right out of the can. With a nice strong cup of Peruvian Organic, its just what the doctor ordered.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

The quality of the tobacco in this blend is very high as ia all of the Rattrays blends. This is what I think of when I think of a light virginia blend. It smokes cool, even and consistant. The flavor is mildly sweet and tangy and does not vary alot through out the bowl. Even though this blend does not have alot of complexity it does not loose my attention and is much appreciated when I am in the mood for a light virginia blend. Highly recommended for virginia lovers.

This is a mild, moist blend that will need airing out before packing. It is a somewhat bitey blend that has that traditional Virginia nip if puffed too aggressivly.

Upon opening the tin, I got the definite impression that I was in a barn filled with fresh hay. The taste is also somewhat grassy - but in a rather pleasant way if you don't let this tobacco burn too hot.

If you enjoy Virginia blends and have patience with your puffing cadence, here you go. If, on the other hand, you want something a bit gentler on the tongue, look elsewhere. Brown Clunee will not ever find its way into my tobacco cellar, but I can't say it was an unpleasant smoking experience at all.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Brown Clunee is a tobacco I have heard a lot about, but only recently tried. It definitely has a following. I have been smoking BC for a few days now, in different sized pipes. Bowl size doesn't seem to matter much with htis one.

The tin aroma is very nice, and like most Va's it reminds me of a freshly mown field. It puts me in a slower-paced state of mind, and helps me to relax. So from the opening, BC has something good going for it.

On the initial bowl, I thought, "Where's the flavor?", but I had been smoking Penzance and Abingdon for the last few days. Once I re-programmed myself, I was ready to start smoking BC for real.

The initial light-up brings forth a very light and airy, slightly sweet flavor. By mid-bowl, the flavor has gathered itself and becomes darker, sweeter, yet with a hint of bitter undertone. The flavor never becomes anything approaching bold, but it is definitely a solid Va taste. Nuances are VERY subtle, but they happened consistently and in different pipes. Otherwise I would have thought them not even there. Sweetness and a natural 'grassy' flavor combine to give a hint of spice, sometimes a fruity raisin-like flavor.

BC burned well, and left the pipe dry. Note that I did dry it some. Also, I found that it stayed lit better when rubbed out just a bit more than the way it comes.

One odd thing - when smoked with coffee, it seemed to me that the coffee overpowered the flavor and detracted from the experience. However, when smoked later in the day with Coke, the two seemed to complement each other nicely. (I warned you it was odd...)

Smoked outdoors, BC fades - I prefer it indoors. It has such a light room note that you can smoke inside without fear of the family assaulting you with cans of Lysol.

LarryF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LarryF (4)

This has always been dependable, middle-of-the road flake for me. It is not too demanding. It is very cool, somewhat sweet, and always makes for a pleasant, satisfying smoke. This would make a good starters blend for the Virginia flake novice.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

This is a rubbed out Virginia flake with colors ranging from very light to dark brown. The tin aroma is a combination of dark raisin, prune, faint chocolate notes and the vegetal fragrance of dried sweet clover, the barn-smell of good Virginia tobacco. Clearly, some sweeteners have been added to provide a distinctive flavor. The tobacco arrives a bit on the moist side. As a regular Virginia flake smoker, I am inclined to let Virginias dry a bit, but I decide to take a chance. Because of the moistness I am careful not to pack too tight. It takes a charring light, a tamp and a relight to get it going. I am somewhat surprised that the tobacco burns well despite the moisture content. The smoke starts out with that familiar Virginia tingle on the tongue that warns of a bite lurking. But I am a naturally slow puffer and sip the smoke along. The taste is a naturally sweet Virginia flavor. The draw appears to be just right and delivers plenty of smoke. It is not overly sweet; I taste no raisins, no prunes, and no chocolate, just Virginia tobacco that has had its natural sweetness lightly enhanced. On the one hand, I am somewhat disappointed because there is no unique flavor as promised by the tin fragrance(I was hoping for a Three Nuns experience). On the other hand, I am pleased by the straightforward taste of Virginia. The hint of a bite subsides about a fourth of the way down the bowl, and the flavors remain consistent throughout. This is a good smoke for a Virginia flake lover. It is reminiscent of SG Best Brown, the undisputed king of Virginia flakes, but just a bit too sweet and lacking the depth of tobacco flavor. This is comparable to some of the McClelland Virginia flakes, a little sweeter, a little kinder to the tongue, and without the vinegary tin aroma. All in all a clever treatment of Virginia tobacco. I do not think I will include it in my regular rotation, but will keep it on hand for a change of pace. I recommend it highly to the Virginia flake smoker. Paddy

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

New Years Day, the Rose parade on TV, cup of good hot coffee, and a chance to fill a bowl with Brown Clunee. This red/red-brown RR (broken flake)VA. is one that I've smoked off and on for some time now, and it's a VA that always seems to please. This being a Honeydew blend, I chose to err w/caution on the flavor rating because if it's there, it's nearly non-existant. More than likely it's just a good natural VA sweetness that one tastes when smoking this tobak. Some may choose to rub-out the tobacco a bit more, I just pull at the pieces a bit. Packs well, lights easily enough, sweet yet slightly sharp at the get-go. Bit of a citrus note here and there, and the sharpness fades after about 1/3 of the bowl to a smooth yet slightly spicey smoke. No bite, just the VA tang that we all know will be there to some degree. Got a wee bit o' woodsiness now, very pleasant. Reminds me a little of the character of McConnell Scottish Flake. Maybe a tad sweeter. Burning very evenly all the way down to pale grey ash and leaving the pipe dry. I had no moisture problems w/this tobak, one cleaner about 1/2 way down. I've had this tin for awhile, and I feel it's mellowed w/age; I seem to remember a bit more sharpness before, but even newly opened I still say it's a rather mellow smoke. I've got a few tins that have been set aside for about 5 years, it should be interesting to see how they've aged. I wish I'd had the chance to smoke some of the older Rattray's tobaccos (blended "by" Charles Rattray not "for" Charles Rattray) as I understand they were near to Euphoria, whereas mine have the James B. Russell label on the bottom. All-in-all a good VA tobak w/an honest tobacco taste. Works for me.

Belated a bit, but none-the-less HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you!!! Let's make this a great year, and as Mauri Tombari would say, "Mellow puff and dry ashes," and may God bless..................

Brown Clunee is a tobacco with a very peculiar flavour. It?s depth and complexity do not reveal immediately (unlike, say, Gawith?s FVF or BBF). Rather, they evolve slowly, following different directions: sometimes taking a natural sweet turn, others a spicy?almost peppery?path, then switching to a kind of dry raisin taste. In the end, there is also a slight flavour of roasted chestnuts. The point is, that it is all natural tasting tobacco. There is no topping, no casing.

A broken flake of high grade Virginias (I think some of it honey-dew processed), Brown Clunee is a mild tobacco only in appearance. Easy to pack, I usually find my self needing two lights to really get it going. Smoked slowly, tongue bite can be avoided.

This tobacco is so rewarding for me, that I keep a medium sized Brebbia Dublin devoted to this blend alone.

sethg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sethg (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a smooth and delicate Virginia, medium brown in colour, flecked with lighter-colored bits. Opening the tin, the tobacco has been rubbed out from a flake into decent sized strips, with small, tinder-like, mini-strips available here and there. The tobacco is moist and springy, moist without being terribly wet. The smell within the tin is a dark, hearty, raisin-y sweetness. The smell was so good, I wanted to just sniff it for a while (or better yet chew on it). As I mentioned, it comes ready rubbed, which I have found makes it very easy to pack, and (as someone else wisely noted in a review of a ribbon-cut tobacco, Dark Birdseye, I believe) easy to overpack. For smoking, I chose a no-name billiard I use for experimenting with new Virginias. I packed it loosely, reserving some of the tinder-type strips for the top. The charring light took a few attempts to take, perhaps in part because of the moistness I mentioned earlier. This tobacco would probably beneift from some drying, but was not too troubling to smoke as is. Upon lighting up, one is greeted with an easy sweetness from the Viriginias; the usual caution against puffing too quickly applies. The first third of the bowl is all mellow Virginia sweetness, not aggressive or cloying, merely present, like a warm piece of toast off a loaf of good warm bread. There is just the slightest hint of complexity lurking away in the distance, but nothing one could put one's finger on directly. Most of all, it is just the middle-note of sweet Virginia, the smoke a greyish-white. As the bowl develops into the second third (gosh I hate phrasing it that way), I begin to detect some of the nicotine creeping out more explicitly -- nothing overwhelmingly assertive, but a definite presence. At this point, I set the bowl down and let it extinguish to DGT . Upon relight the next morning, there is that pleasant sweetness again, this time accompanied with the hint of sourness, not unpleasant in the slightest, and acting as a foil to some of the sweeter elements. It is possible this is another development of some of the complexity I mentioned earlier. It doesn't develop any further, but continues to provide a quite enjoyable taste. This continues for the remainder of the bowl, which produced a fluffy, greyish-white ash and no discernible moisture. Overall, a very pleasant Virgina that smokes smoothly and burns nicely. I would have no qualms about recommending it to those who enjoy the lighter Virginias, or as an entree for novices to the world of ready-rubbed tobaccos.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A sweet virginia scent, with a dark, slightly sour, smell that, along with the uniform darkness of the ribbons, tells we that this blend was aged, probably in pressed cakes.

Upon lighting, I discovered this to be a very mild virginia blend. That means that caution must be exercised to keep my greedy self from puffing too hard and turning my tongue into something resembling fried chicken.

The first third of the bowl is mostly uneventful, but with a slight deepening of the virginia flavors.

The second third sees the virginias start to really come alive, and by the two-thirds mark, it has developed into a fuller, richer smoke.

The ending of the bowl is very pleasant, with the tobacco quietly going out, leaving only stark white ash, and a mild nicotine buzz to remember it by.