Dark in color, but mild is the only way to describe this blend. What we wish to convey to the reader that it is gentle to the palate.

BrandRattray
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsKentucky, Perique, Virginia
Where to Buy Iwan Ries
Strength
Taste

The plum and pepper from the perique is lightly noted as is the nutty, slightly earthy Kentucky. The Virginia dominates the flavor; hay-like, grassy, with a mild citrus and a hint of dark fruit. Has a mild nic-hit. It burns slightly fast and will bite or get harsh if you are a fast puffer. Has a mildly consistent flavor; the perique waxes and wanes at times. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke, with a decent after taste.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)
Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

This is one of the most anonymous blends i've ever tried. Upon opening the tin i smelled fresh hay, and cigarette tobacco. It packs easily and burns fast. For me, it is almost impossible not to puff away like a panicked WW2 soldier with a filterless Player cigarette in his mouth. Where's the beef i say? Not in this blend.

Too light, too fast, too little of everything. However, the quality of the leaf is, as always with Rattray's, outstanding.

So if you prefer a light, bright, pure virginia-blend similar to Blackjack and Capstan Mild, give this one a go.

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Virginia and Kentucky with a smidgen of Perique - man, is this stuff ever good!

Upon opening the tin, I got the definite impression that I was in a barn filled with fresh hay. The taste is also somewhat grassy and sweet - but in a rather pleasant way.

I love this one!

Brown Clunee was the first straight virginia I ever smoked - waaaay back around 1984 or so. It was good enough then that I began smoking straight virginias almost exclusively, and it has a special place in my heart as a result.

After years of smoking other, more developed virginias and Vapers, this one is best reminisced about rather than smoked. I found its sweet/sour taste offputting and bland in comparison to its stablemates Hal O' The Wynd, Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie, as well as other blends from different blending houses. Aging does not seem to serve this blend well, either, as a 14 year old version added a bit of of a soapy taste - kind of like sucking on a dryer sheet. I am mixing this with straight perique to see if I can spice it up a bit and tame that sourness.

Not recommended for my own smoking but somewhat recommended for those who like a very mild smoke and one that has no pretensions of depth or complexity. Good for those starting out on virginias as a teaser to show them what lies ahead.

This has been a very pleasant smoke, but not especially remarkable. The Kentucky makes itself known with some earthiness early. I got a little plum perique in the last half of the bowl. Mostly this is a good mildly sweet stoved Virginia with some condimental tobacco to keep it from being too boring. The taste is more on the dark, heavy end of the Virginia spectrum. As an odd observation, I noted just a whiff of soap on first light, and it disappeared.

It was an easy smoke and was a cool burning blend for me. I doubt many people whould think of this as a contender for an "all-day" blend, but I could see it working in that mode.

This is a solid 3 stars and if this was all I had I would smoke a lot of it and not feel sorry for myself. Given the price, I am unlikely to buy more.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Brown Clunee, Old Gowrie and Hal O’ The Wynd are three very similar blends, with the same characteristics. Not so for Marlin Flake that is completely another mixture. Here I want to speak about the differences among these three excellent blends, from the point of view of Brown Clunee. First of all, they all have the same ingredients (Virginia, Kentucky, Perique) without any casing. But there are also a lot of differences:

HOTW is the strongest of the three, less delicate than the others. OG is the sweetest, it is almost a straight Virginia or at least it has the same characteristics. Brown Clunee is the most spicy, the most peppery. HOTW has more Kentucky and less Virginia compared to OG. BC is really similar to HOTW, but it has less Kentucky and more Perique. Perique is really leading. On the contrary, in OG Virginia and also Kentucky are leading, but Perique is really a “bit player”. To sum up on the basis of the amount of the different tobaccos, we can follow this order: Virginia content: OG – BC – HOTW. Kentucky content: HOTW – OG – BC. Perique content: BC – HOTW – OG.

Finally, OG is a Virginia based mixture. Similarly HOTW is a Virginia based mixture but it could also be considered a Perique mixture and also a Virginia/Kentucky mixture (it is the most balanced). BC is certainly and without any doubt a Perique mixture, a Va/Per with just a touch of Kentucky. Three excellent blends, but in this case my favorite (the kind of the three I prefer) is Brown Clunee. For all these reasons, in my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) my score is 10 and four complete stars.

Similar Blends: Hal O' The Wynd and Old Gowrie.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

If you like Old Gowrie, Hal o' the Wynd or Marlin Flake (notwithstanding the cavendish tobacco therewith), you will probably like Brown Clunee as well. I'd say there is more Perique here than in the others, and this gives the whole mixture a tangy or zesty note to it. The subdued sweetness seems to come from the Virginia tobacco whereas the Kentucky leaf has a somewhat roasted (nuts) flavour that rounds the whole thing up. As for the presentation, it is just this broken flake you are so used to if you are familiar with this particular range. Also, it will improve if you let it sit in a jar for a couple of weeks. There is nothing special about the room or tin note for that particular matter, but I find it quite pleasing to retro inhale the smoke or pass it through my nose. In true honesty, I don't like it as much as the aforementioned, but to deny it a four solid stars would be falling far from the truth.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not having tried any Rattray's before, I bought this one just to try something completely out of my comfort zone. The size of the tin too was something of a change, so I gave it a try.

The aroma on opening was nothing special, a little leafy and oaky. The packing and lighting, despite it being broken flake as observed by previous reviews, is easy enough, much like a good ready rubbed. The smoke, though, doesn't thrill. I find it a little reminiscent of Condor Ready Rubbed, not in a bad way, but not as good as the original. It's a little like the girl next door who looks a little like Natalie Portman, a bonny enough lass, but won't be replacing the aforementioned starlet in Black Swan 2. The last third, however, does strangely, but pleasantly, add a hint of cream and become mellower. The room note at point of smoking is okay, nothing to write home about, though does have a habit of popping up hours later in far pleasanter fashion, pleasantly reminiscent of that left by Gold Block. The tongue bite does kick in early but fades quickly, and after a few smokes, doesn't rear it's ugly head again. The major downside to this is the hacky, awful taste left in the mouth, not sure I can pin it down exactly, but it's like leaves, happy to smell them, wouldn't want to taste them though.

On the whole, not a bad smoke actually, just not too thrilling really. There is a certain blandness to this that is quickly overawed by that hacky mouth taste. That creamyness in the last third though, is a plus. Also, a 100 gram tin is just way too much, I now find myself smoking it just to get my moneys worth. Would I buy it again? Not in a 100g packet, but maybe in 25g or 50g rounds instead. On the whole I think two and a half stars would be fair.

Update 20/05/2014

Had a couple of more 100g tins of this stuff, the first bought out of nostalgia and the second out of desire, and I have to say I've changed my opinion entirely of this. Gone is the bland roughness I found first time around and arrived is a slightly sweet, slightly watery spice with all the hints of the earth a tobacco can provide. It serves me very well as an early evening, after dinner smoke but can be enjoyed throughout the day. I'm so glad I tried it again, so much so that I'm close to dedicating a pipe to it and keeping some in for good measure.

My major issue with this tobacco is that it lacks depth that I am seeking. The Kentucky doesn't add the body that I'm looking for. The quality of the tobacco is good and it ages well and there is a small amount of sweetness that I do enjoy. I just don't know if its worth the cost of cellaring tins when there are so many other brands in this niche. This blend is worth a taste if you are a fan of similar blends, but for me, I'm on to new ventures.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Fairly uniform dark brown broken flake. Very little variation in color. Slightly too moist right from the can.

Aroma: Great aroma of stoved Virginia, hints of chocolate and raisins.

Packing: Can be packed as is into medium or large bowls, or rubbed out for smaller pipes. Lighting:

Initial flavor: Starts very mild, slowly increases in flavor to a medium level of intensity. Good sweetness from the Va. leaf, and some depth added by the stoving process.

Mid-bowl: Straightforward simple Virginia flavor. Lighter than its cousins Hal O' the Wynde and Marlin Flake, with nice layering of tastes. Not as complex as other members of the family, but this one could be the "all-day smoke". Can be enjoyed with morning coffee, and continued through the day. Maybe too light for the evening, when I enjoy a more full bodied blend. Burns cool and dry at any reasonable smoking pace.

Finish: Well behaved right down to the end. Leaves a clean gray ash.

Summary: An excellent mild to medium Virginia, strongly recommended for the novice or the veteran.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

Another simple, subtle RATTRAY virginia. This is a degree less stoved than OLD GOWRIE, and perhaps for that very reason some may find it even more kaleidoscopic. An indispensable classic from old Perth.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)

Truly a companion to Old Gowrie. Clunee is the "sweet brother" of Gowrie that is less spicy.

The tin aroma is great, somewhat fruity-sweet, little spicy and fermented. Dark, broken flakes are waiting in the 100g tin to be admired and stuffed - but in forehand they need some drying time, just as Gowrie does!

Having Brown Clunee in the pipe is wonderful! A cotton-candy like sweetness is always present, though never too much. A gentle fruitiness is giving this bled a foundation for the sweetness to shine and only mild spice is giving this blend its backbone. Whilst Gowrie has some nice, zesty spice to it, Gowrie is rather sweetish with little spice. The Kentucky sports some minor boldness as well as some tart nutty tones that harmonize excellently with the fruity-sweetness.

Just as Gowrie and Hal o the wynd, this has around 6mg of added flavouring on 1000mg of tobacco, as the additive list reveals. Just some minor addition, but all of them have around 40-50mg of sugar added to enhance the sweetness.

What can I say more? I love it! Gowrie and Clunee are one of my Go-To Va/Per/Ky blends, whilst Gowrie is more Perique-forward and Clunee rather Vrginia-forward with more Ketucky to it. Also Clunee shares a few similarites with the famous Motzek Stang, which is plus for me too! 3,5-stars, as I find Old Gowrie to be a bit ahead of this blend!

Pipe Used: Clays, Cobs, Briars

Similar Blends: A sweeter, less spicy companion to, Rattray - Old Gowrie (British Collection), some similarities to, Motzek - (Curly) Strang.

Spirit pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spirit pipe (2)

The sweetest and easy tobacco Rattary's family. BROWN CLUNEE is my tobacco every day over again for its easy taste predominance brown and dark stoved red Virginia. ( just little bit Kentucky perique) exceptionally easy and gentle to the mouth and tongue and nose time after time. Brown Clunee,lights easily and burns well. Cake clean dry (pipe bowl)...Confort,stability,and simplicity of Brown Clunee never disappoint year after year.For taste old Gowrie is a little better or clearer but the smoked is too strong for my mouth to smoke all day, old Gowrie always be my second choice.

Pipe Used: 4 savinelli bing's favorite (rotation)

Similar Blends: Old vintage (Kentucky Virginia perique) Rattary's family.Hal o' the wynd,Old Gowrie,Marlin Flake., May be a distant ghost (mixture Scottish blend M.B).

Rattray - Brown Clunee.

A medium brown, not too moist, ribbon. The aroma's mainly Virginia but there's a vinegary touch of Perique, too.

It lights easily and gives a stable burn and a fairly cool smoke. The flavour's leading character's the Virginia, with the Kentucky and Perique offering a definite seasoning. The Kentucky gives nuts without taking over with a fire-cured flavour. If I force it too much I get a bit of a bite, so I tend to sip at it.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Butz Coquin

Purchased From: Smoke King

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (39)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice sweet fresh hay note from the jar. Even cut and good humidity. As others have noted, this one is on the mild side. I enjoy it well after supper. It burns well and inhales smoothly. Perique is way off in the background but it is there. Not as much vitamin "N" as I like but a fine smoke nonetheless.

Pipe Used: Several cobs and Pete's

Age When Smoked: 2 years jarred

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (64)

As others have noted, quality tobacco but not as flavorful as its great aroma would suggest. Wonderful dark aromas (raisins, burnt caramel). Mostly earth tone flavors (hay, leather, peat, etc.). Not very sweet for a Virginia, but that is probably explained by the predominance of Kentucky (burley?) tobacco. Needs a bit of drying out but, once accomplished, lights easily and burns clean.

It's not a bad "Virginia" by any means, it's just that there are a lot of better ones out there for the money.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: ~ 2 years old

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

This, for me, seems to be right in between Old Gowree and Hal O' The Wynd as far as strength goes. The components come together nicely to form a good solid smoking experience. I had no issue with tongue bite at any time throughout the bowl. This blend might need to be dried out somewhat before smoking, but for me, it was quite fine right out of the tin. YMMV on this point. This lights easily and stays lit with no further thought necessary. It burns down to a nice ash and has just enough nicotine to satisfy. Recommended.

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (35)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Recommended if you're into the Kentucky Periquie Virginia combo and you don't want too much flavour. For me, a nice go to blend when you've head 'nuff Northwoods or Countryside. Not crazy about the tin note and the room note is vague but pleasant.

For some reason, this one gets better and better the deeper into the bowl it gets. A little moist upon opening (which blend is perfectly ready for deployment upon opening?).

It'll be in the regular rotation and the dryer it gets the more I find myself reaching for it. Not quite Cellar or Bayou and thats ok because I don't think its meant to be. Took some coaxing to get lit and required a couple of extra burns and thats ok with me. Again, less fuss after drying out some.

I did catch a wisp of that citrus flavour the first few bowls but I agree with reviews below, the flavour is certainly flatter than most.

I still like a lot though. The War Department says she has other favourites.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)

This is a rubbed out Virginia flake with colors ranging from very light to dark brown. The tin aroma is a combination of dark raisin, prune, faint chocolate notes and the vegetal fragrance of dried sweet clover, the barn-smell of good Virginia tobacco. Clearly, some sweeteners have been added to provide a distinctive flavor. The tobacco arrives a bit on the moist side. As a regular Virginia flake smoker, I am inclined to let Virginias dry a bit, but I decide to take a chance. Because of the moistness I am careful not to pack too tight. It takes a charring light, a tamp and a relight to get it going. I am somewhat surprised that the tobacco burns well despite the moisture content. The smoke starts out with that familiar Virginia tingle on the tongue that warns of a bite lurking. But I am a naturally slow puffer and sip the smoke along. The taste is a naturally sweet Virginia flavor. The draw appears to be just right and delivers plenty of smoke. It is not overly sweet; I taste no raisins, no prunes, and no chocolate, just Virginia tobacco that has had its natural sweetness lightly enhanced. On the one hand, I am somewhat disappointed because there is no unique flavor as promised by the tin fragrance(I was hoping for a Three Nuns experience). On the other hand, I am pleased by the straightforward taste of Virginia. The hint of a bite subsides about a fourth of the way down the bowl, and the flavors remain consistent throughout. This is a good smoke for a Virginia flake lover. It is reminiscent of SG Best Brown, the undisputed king of Virginia flakes, but just a bit too sweet and lacking the depth of tobacco flavor. This is comparable to some of the McClelland Virginia flakes, a little sweeter, a little kinder to the tongue, and without the vinegary tin aroma. All in all a clever treatment of Virginia tobacco. I do not think I will include it in my regular rotation, but will keep it on hand for a change of pace. I recommend it highly to the Virginia flake smoker. Paddy

Brown Clunee is a tobacco with a very peculiar flavour. It?s depth and complexity do not reveal immediately (unlike, say, Gawith?s FVF or BBF). Rather, they evolve slowly, following different directions: sometimes taking a natural sweet turn, others a spicy?almost peppery?path, then switching to a kind of dry raisin taste. In the end, there is also a slight flavour of roasted chestnuts. The point is, that it is all natural tasting tobacco. There is no topping, no casing.

A broken flake of high grade Virginias (I think some of it honey-dew processed), Brown Clunee is a mild tobacco only in appearance. Easy to pack, I usually find my self needing two lights to really get it going. Smoked slowly, tongue bite can be avoided.

This tobacco is so rewarding for me, that I keep a medium sized Brebbia Dublin devoted to this blend alone.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)

Another remarkable blend from Rattray's!this is a milder version of old Gowrie and a cousin of HOTW.Once you open the tin a grassy,spicy and vinegary flavour comes out.the blend moisture is high and the broken flakes can fill your bowl easily even if not rubbed.needs some drying time but do not overdry it because the taste flatens.while smoking it is a real pleasure.virginias are dominant offering grass,citruses and some dark fruits.the other compoments offer some spices and sour notes in a supporting role.the flavours are very clear and combine each other very well.the nicotine level is almost medium,the room note pleasant and needs some relights.burns slow and medium hot.definitelly an all day smoke and a must try one! lots of you may consider:why to try all thre blends(OG,HOTH,BC)? The similarities are a lot i agree but they differ in some points wich makes every single one special.

Age When Smoked: Dried out for 30 mins.

First half of the bowl is very earthy with a very mild sweetness and just a touch of smoke and spice. As the bowl progresses the sweetness builds to mild and a mild note of oat bread creeps in adding a little complexity. Gets a little spicier toward the end. Not a blend that I'll be seeking out, but if you love earthiness you may really like this one. It's very down to earth, so to speak.

Mild to medium in body and taste. No added flavorings detected. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This ready rubbed or broken flake is of a medium to dark brown colour, and the relatively small pieces of tobacco feel rather moist.

The tin note is dominated by a grassy, haylike Virgina scent that is complimented by a subliminal honey sweetness.

In order to fill my pipe I like to make small balls of tobacco, which I use to stuff the bowl rather loosely. After the charring light I level out the ashes before applying the true light.

Besides the typical tangy sweetness of the Virginias, there are also some citrussy notes and once again a disinct honey aftertaste, which makes me wonder if there's a topping. If you don't pay enough attention, this tobacco will tend to burn rather hotly. So don't draw too eagerly on your pipe, and tamp down the ashes regularily. Fortunately, this will not impair taste or sting your tongue.

The room note is sweetish and rather pleasant.

Pipe Used: Vauen Cup 1

Purchased From: www.cigarworld.de

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (50)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Edit: I was a bit harsh with this one. More than half-way down the 100g tin, it's grown on me and there's definitely a nice sweetness in the smoke. Don't expect a VA with body, but this is a quality tobacco in its own category (light VA).

---------

Disappointing. Has basically the same tin aroma as Hal of the Wynd, but the similarities end there. Lacks body, flavour, depth and complexity. Almost becomes a chore to smoke. I hoped it might be a decent morning Virginia, but it isn't. Golden Glow by Samuel Gawith or Golden Sliced by Orlik are far better examples of a Virginia-based tobacco that is both mild in nicotine and flavourful.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (65)

This is a beautiful smoke that needs some preparation in order to bring out it's wonderful qualities. I loaded a bowl directly from a freshly opened tin and paid the consequences with a taste that was one dimensional and bland. Then I took enough for a bowl and rubbed it out and left it to dry for half an hour. The difference was amazing. The flavor was nuanced and delicious. The virginia was in the forground with the burley there for support and coolness. The perique peaked out with frequent little bursts of subdued spiciness. This is a beauty that can only get better and better. Light nicotine and almost no aftertaste. 3 stars for now, but who knows. Love those Rattray virginias. Intoxicating in the tin. Delicious in the bowl.

Update: I've found that the flavor is best rubbed out , dried out and packed loosely. I love the way this tobacco burns: just smoldering, without large plumes of smoke. Providing the tastiest experience I've ever had from a predominately virginia blend. This is a 4 star blend and one of my top 5. I love puffing on this while at my computer. I find it calming. What a gem for those of us who still believe that less is more. Update Nov. 2015: The tin aroma is better than ever and the cut is now a ribbon, when before it was only partially rubbed out. Tastes better then ever.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

Brown Clunee comes in ready-rubbed form, though there are going to be some larger pieces of broken flake in the tin. In appearance, the tobacco is a fairly uniform medium brown color, with a slightly acetic aroma usual for a Rattray Virginia, and only a slight bit high on moisture content. I found that with about 20 minutes of drying time the tobacco could be rubbed out a bit more, and had reached a very satisfactory moisture level. The charring light reveals the excellent quality of the blend. Once lit, the flavor is light and relatively mild – especially when one is used to Hal O'The Wynd – but also very satisfying. Though not as sweet as some Virginia blends, the flavor is rich, a surprise given the description of “mild” for this tobacco. Easy puffing is advised early in the bowl to guard against bite, but otherwise, this is a tobacco to sip and savor, like a fine whiskey. By mid-bowl the flavor deepens a bit. The level of sweetness rises even though the likelihood of tongue bite seems, to my palate, to lessen. The complexity of flavor also increases, with a creamy undertone to match the sweet overtone, both going with a fine, earthy Virginia flavor. Toward the last third of the bowl a lot of nuance develops, making this a tobacco worth savoring to the very bottom. The taste becomes a mingling of fresh grass, raisins, and creamy hints of vanilla. The original sweetness remains, and the level of nicotine asserts itself at this point; some smokers may experience a bit of nicotine head at the end of the smoke. I would recommend Brown Clunee enthusiastically to those new to Virginia tobaccos, and happily to those who have already discovered the pleasures of Virginias.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

My tin -- from 2003 -- had six years of age on it when I tried it. (I'm just delinquent in writing it up here.)

For me, this was a fine soft Virginia, with distinctive lemony/citrus undertones. It seems to be weighted strength-wise (i.e., nicotine-wise) between Old Gowrie and Hal o' the Wynd (to keep things in the Rattray family). Hal o' the Wynd has a distinctive sweetness and a just-as-much-as-I-want nicotine level, but could I distinguish Brown Clunee from Old Gowrie in a blind tasting? I don't know. Brown Clunee might be softer, rounder, smoother; it might be more nuanced. (I know how vague all of this sounds.)

What I do know for sure, though, is that it's a highly enjoyable smoking experience.

NOTE: I'm extremely sensitive to perique (in a bad way). If there is perique in this blend -- and I'm not sure there is -- it is present in near-microscopic quantities.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

On Sunday I fretted over what I may smoke for my morning hike. See, on Saturday I smoked, all day, Brown Clunee in a Vollmer & Nilsson Apple with delight. When the BC is dry to my liking in this light-weight, open-draw pipe I enjoyed what is nothing less than pure tobacco pleasure. I know that Sunday is a day of rest but not for the BC and V&N. I again hit a cadence, a rhythm, with this tobacco and pipe much like yesterday. The afternoon brought a round golf with more BC in the V&N. The evening included a lecture and more of the same tobacco pleasure. Brown Clunee is a fine blend that I can smoke all day. A blend of Virginian, Perique and Burly (Ky) in varying degrees. The flavor strengthens throughout the bowl and never fatigues my palate. The side stream and room note have a sweet spicy note that pleases me. And it has enough nicotine to satisfy. I certainly enjoy the other Rattray Virginians; Brown Clunee just works best for and with me- day in and day out.

I am normally a burley fan but I was given some of this blend in a trade. I also tend to be a fast smoker but this morning I was in no hurry, I brought out my rusticated bent Italian pipe that is on of my best pipes and I don't smoke it daily as it is a real showpiece. But I knew it was dry and had no shadow in it. So I filled the bowl, sat out in the gorgeous day we are having an along with tea, I spent two hours savoring this blend. All I can say is WOW! It is a virginia so I made sure and sipped it slowly and it gave me a mellow, sweet, delicious smoke and really made my morning. It was great with black tea. It had the fresh cut hay aroma, and it had a lot of flavor so I never wanted to puff fast at all. I could see this could be a tonque biter, but it never did for me and I smoked a very large bowl of it at one sitting, burning all the way down to a fine white ash. I will want more of this one and that is saying a lot for me. Simply put, it was not complex but was delicious and I am already wanting to return to it for more. Three star because I had to relight several times. Really should be a three and a half.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)

What a marvellous tobacco! This is a really pleasant all-day smoke, never tiring, naturally sweet (I smell prevalently prunes), cool, round and creamy, with hints of pepperiness here and there. No kind of bite to the tongue, it caresses my palate and is a true pleasure to the nose. Extremely easy to fill into the pipe, which remains always fresh, and leaves a medium grey dry ash. I agree that it comes quite moist, so I left the 100grms can unsealed for almost a month, now it's ready for my daily use. A lighter cousin of HOTW, which I'm prepared to visit soon. Highly recommended!

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (58)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Perhaps the mildest of the Rattray's tobaccos I've tried to date. I'm still exploring my tin but find BC a bit too mild for my tastes. It has a wonderful tin aroma and burns well. I wish I would have discovered this blend during my first foray into Virginias. As it stands, I believe this to be a fine tobacco that I will cellar, maybe add some perique, or even some Latakia. I'm much fonder of Old Gowrie but certainly recommend this blend to anyone looking for a quality Virginia that's light enough to smoke all day. I will update as I work my way through the tins I have of Brown Clunee.

Update: I have been experimenting adding different amounts of perique to this blend and have been very satisfied with the results. Good, quality tobacco that blends well with others.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I found Brown Clunee rather bland, especially compared to the other great Virginias from Rattray's. I could agree with others that this is akin to HOTW light, it lacks the heft and complexity of HOTW as well as the nicotine hit. Not much else to say, it isn't really remarkable in any way, just a basic flat Virginia flavor.

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Objective: Nicely rubbed out tobacco. Moderate moisture content. Good amount of tobacco for the price. Mild to moderate amount of smoke yielded after some drying time, not a good thing for me since I like to a good deal of smoke.

Subjective: This was a very mild tasting tobacco, almost flat. The perique was barely noticeable. The weed packed well and stayed lit with just a few relights. The aroma was that of hay and to some extent a little nutty. I prefer stronger blends, but am glad I got to try this one. HOTW would be my choice of a VaPer from this line.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Just popped open a new tin of BC. The tin has a faint scent of that McClelland's vinegar. I removed a bowl full from the tin and set aside to air. In about 5 minutes the vinegar was gone but the tobacco still felt damp, I allowed about 20 minutes before I loaded a pot. My initial light gave off a nice Virginia scent as I began to sloooow sip the BC. Even with this technique I felt all along that I was in for some tongue bite. The first 1/4 bowl was a nice sweet Virginia with the feeling of an increasing bite. Then the tobacco smoothed out , the bite was gone and the sweet Virginia was the main player. The Kentucky must be adding significant spice even while slow sipping. This tobacco required concentration although it remained lit trough the whole pipe. It was only near the last 1/4 of the bowl that could I distinguish any Perique and that was minimal. BC is very one dimensional, I hope that some additional cellaring will develop this tobacco because I think it has real potential. I like Marlin flake better, only because I don't remember it smoking as hot.

Updated 2/2/12- Well I've had this cellared for almost a year and it still bites bad. I tried it with and without moisture, in various pipes and sipped slow. I can only get to 4 puffs, it has got to be my chemistry. This is unsmokable to me

Updated 2/14/12 Well hating to throw out tobacco , I decided to home stove this . I placed this in a mason jar and stoved it in the convection oven at 175 degrees for 2 hours. Hey , I got to 10 puffs before it bit. I'll be giving this away! Got to be my chemistry

Updated 4/22/12 Did I mention how I hate to throw out tobacco ? I just Re-Stoved this at 195 degrees for an additional 2 hours. I think this has helped but not cured my bite problem. The first 1/4 bowl is fine, but the second quarter is hard on my tongue, and the last half is fine. The taste is good , sweet bread. I think I could smoke this once a day but I'll probably just give it away

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (94)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening the tin B.C. has the tipical smell of Va: dried fruits and dried Medicago Sativa, it smoke easy with a smooth flavour, the taste is naturally sweet with a slight bitter note that probably derives from Ky leaf. I can't detect any Perique as K&K declear on official website. Nothing bad about this blend but.... for me is boring.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I´m used to take it with me when going to the pitch. I load a large bent bowl and off we go. There is no hurry and so I sit there for nearly two hours puffing my pipe and enjoying myself. What else should I ask for? I still have it with me when I´m travelling although I only have one pipe reserved for this tobacco.I smoked it more often before I got to know Gawiths brown flakes. Easy to use, good taste, unprecious simply good but not my top notch at the moment. Might change again. Good quality tobacco, good starter for virginia lovers, to get to know the secrets of slow smoking, because it is a bit sweeter than the other big Rattrays.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The sample I tried was a bit moist, but it packed easily and lit very well. It had no hint of tongue bite, but I puff pretty gently.

The flavor of this tobacco is mild,sweet, and smooth, yet it has a hint of spice in the background. This grows a bit stronger near the bottom of the bowl. This is excellent tobacco, and I recommend it highly.

I get so many different taste impressions from this tobacco, it is amazing. Raisins, nuts, licorice, and of course, sweet Virginia. If you take your time and go slowly, they will reveal themselves to you. My favorite mild Virginia.

I like to smoke this in a large Canadian billiard. This allows the flavor to intensify. Simply scrumptious.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (78)

Rattray's Virginias are very unique, to me anyway, very much unlike anything you will find from McClelland, Astley or the Lake District crowd. They are very fresh, vibrant and, if mishandled, harsh. Of the line this is the least in strength and character and fills in the notch of the everyday all day Virginia. I often fill a bowl with this if I am walking, hunting or working and cant pay proper attention to a more subtle blend. All in all a good blend if you're focusing on other things.

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (37)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An honest, unpretentious VA. There is a slight woodiness, alongside the faint raisiny sweetness that appears now and then. The overall flavor is otherwise somewhat gentle and reliable (i.e., there are no great surprises throughout the bowl), and I find it tends to bite only if I puff too hard in order to try to extract more flavor from it - which is to say: the flavor is appealing and satisfying if not strong. But Brown Clunee is not the heartiness of Marlin Flakes or the unique richness of Old Gowrie. Instead, it deserves to be smoked slowly and lightly, which is pretty easy given its good burn qualities right out of the tin.

Good on its own, I also find this works well also for blending (such as mixing 50/50 with SG's potent Brown Rope #4).

As a low-strength, easy-smoking VA, this would be a good "beginner " VA, as other reviewers suggested, but I think alot of its virtues would be appreciated best by a more experienced VA fan.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

As a fan of Virginia Flakes I give this one a big thumbs up! For the first smoke of the day or an all-day smoke for lovers of this type of tobac it is exceptional. Some softening agent added which is no impediment to a fine, steady smoke. For those of you who find Flake tobacs a hassle, give this one a try. Highly recommended.

12-02-2004 Another great one from Ratray's

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Not quite as rich as Marlin Flake or Old Gowrie, mostly broken, almost fully rubbed out flake.

Packing and Lighting: Easy to pack, a little moist upon opening tin. After a couple of weeks, it dries sufficiently to loght easily.

Initial Flavor: Pure, light VA with high notes immediately the focus.

Mid-Bowl: Not much change, high flavor notes recede a little.

Bottom of Bowl: Nice, round, mellow VA flavor with the typical sweetness.

Overall: This is very good "entry level" VA blend. It is easy to puff away on without much needed focus to get flavor and keep tongue-bite away. Leaves a fine grey dusting on bowl when done. Unfortunately, I have been spoiled by Marlin Flake, so this one won't be in my rotation. I will, however highly recommend to those beginning to tread the water of VA's.

Rating: 4 out of 5 points

Not a bad red-brown Virginia in ready rubbed form, although with a very delicate taste. It does not bite, and has a nice fruity natural flavour. Smell in the tin is of pears and dried fruit, very good. The taste is similar, but in a much more subdued way. I still prefer the strength and sweetness of Hal O' The Wynd and Marlin Flake, or McClelland's equivalent products (which are a bit more sour and bitey, though). Right after opening it is a bit too moist for my taste. Not very complex or deep, but easy-smoking. A bit reminiscent in taste of (but lighter than) Full Virginia Flake by Gawith.

Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is another excellent experience as I work my way through Rattray's Va line. Not as musty as Old Gowrie, not as strong as Hal o' the Wind, not as sharp as Marlin Flake, this blend stands alone on its own delicious merits. If you've been smoking nothing but 1792 flake or Penzance, than sure this baccy might seem a little light in the loafers. But when smoked slowly and deliberately, there are many pleasant surprises in store. The flavor is all rich Va with quite alot of sweetness. This doesn't translate into bite however, although there is some spice involved. The room note is spectacular for a straight Va and I even got a compliment from my wife. It may not be near as impressive as HOTW or MF but just the same It fits the bill for a nice, light Va that would be a great all dayer. By the way the cut of this tobacco is extraordinary and perfect for packing right out of the can. With a nice strong cup of Peruvian Organic, its just what the doctor ordered.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A sweet virginia scent, with a dark, slightly sour, smell that, along with the uniform darkness of the ribbons, tells we that this blend was aged, probably in pressed cakes.

Upon lighting, I discovered this to be a very mild virginia blend. That means that caution must be exercised to keep my greedy self from puffing too hard and turning my tongue into something resembling fried chicken.

The first third of the bowl is mostly uneventful, but with a slight deepening of the virginia flavors.

The second third sees the virginias start to really come alive, and by the two-thirds mark, it has developed into a fuller, richer smoke.

The ending of the bowl is very pleasant, with the tobacco quietly going out, leaving only stark white ash, and a mild nicotine buzz to remember it by.