Translation from the german website: "Alea jacta est" - the die is cast. After a long test-period we like to present our new tobacco-mixture "Tumblin' Dice" to you.

The name is derived from it's special cutting style from natural sweet bright and medium brown Virginia-Leafs and in addition a noticeable amount of our precious original Louisiana Perique:

First it's cut lenghtwise, afterwards it's pressed for some time, and then it's cut crossways and finally storaged to mature.

Thus arise these 6mm wide cubes, of which every one contains the whole tobacco-mixture.

In pipes with bigger to very big bowl-sizes the "Tumblin' Dice" reveals it's rich and marvelous sweet-spicyy taste. Without any top-flavourings.

Notes: During pre-marketing testing phase sold as Torben Dansk C. C. V/P. It was only available in the store itself and wasn't in the catalog, nor the Online-Shop.

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByMichael Apitz
Manufactured ByDan Tobacco
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
CutCube
Packaging50 g Tin / 250 g Bulk
Strength
Taste
Medium, Full

3.6
NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)

The tin aroma is sweet and haylike with a slight fruity acidity, reminiscent of raisins, dried figs or prunes.

The cubes messure 5 to 6 mm edge length, each containing the complete blend. Packing your pipe is as easy as possible. You just let the cubes tricle into your bowl and tamp lightly. Lighting takes a little patience, but once the tobacco is properly lit, it'll burn down evenly to a fine grey ash. However, an occasional re-light might be required due to the cube cut.

This Va/Per blend provides a cool smoke with a superb natural sweetness and a nice tangy edge that'll last right to the bottom of the bowl. It's important not to draw to eagerly on your pipe, because if you smoke Tumblin' Dice too hot, it'll lose a lot of its complexity and might even bite your tongue. Otherwise it's a very balanced smoke.

The room note is rather sweet and rich. Pleasant, if you like the smell of Virginia, tolerable in other respects.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Siena 320

Purchased From: www.danpipe.de

Similar Blends: Escudo Navy De Luxe/Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls, Dunhill Elisabethan Mixture, Solani Virginia Flake with Perique (Blend 633).

JimInks (2040)

The lighter Virginia is a little grassy with a deep citrus flavor, and there is more of that than there is of the earthy, lightly woody, very tangy dark fruit sweet brown and red Virginias. The Virginias are the major components, and each compete for attention. The very raisiny, figgy, spicy perique plays, as you might expect, a strong support role. The inherent characteristics of the perique are almost equal in their effect. A well blended cube cut, you’ll most every aspect previously noted in the majority of your puffs to various degrees. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. The strength is closer to medium than it is to mild. Burns at a slow to reasonable pace with a clean and fairly cool flavor from start to finish. It won’t bite, but there are a few rough edges here and there if you puff beyond a moderate rate. Requires some relights, and leaves a little moisture in the bowl. Has a pleasant after taste, but the room note is a little strong; stronger than the after taste. Not quite an all day smoke due in part to the aforementioned rough edges.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

So I walk in to DanPipe's store, and the first thing I'm asked is have I tried this blend yet, it's a VaPer. So I bought a tin. Easy sell for them; they know I like VaPers.

The tin aroma, then, is typical VaPer. So is the colour scheme. Unusual are the rather large dice; other "diced" blends I have experienced (Danish Truffles, Von Eicken Three Stars) feature much more densely-compressed and far smaller dice. The tin note does say it: this is for the large bowls only.

I only pour in enough to fill my bowl, rub the top a little to un-dice some bits for better lighting, and light up. And right from the start, this is among the best VaPers I know. Lit up, I get the grassy VA sweetness and the fruit and spice from the Perique, and it burns nicely and, for a cube cut, amazingly evenly, with hardly any maintenance necessary.

The room note, of course, is typical VaPer. The burn is nice and slow; the consistency of the cubes is more like a Krumble Kake than the plug-derived cubes of the other blends I mentioned. Amazingly cool smoke for a VaPer!

I have practically no dottle left at the end, depending on the pipe; just a scrap or two not turned to ashes. This goes very well with a peaty Islay Single Malt, maybe an Orkney or Jura.

There is some build-up of strength during the smoke... don't underestimate this stuff. I find that it gives me all that I expect from a good VaPer, and then some.

Addendum 2015-08-15: having smoked this in the presence of my non-smoking parents and hearing their comments, I award this blend the "parents-approved" badge. Excellent room note, and up-rating accordingly. As of a couple months later, I feel I should mention that my parents are both in their 70s ;)

Pipe Used: Various large Wessex, db Magnum, MM General

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: DanPipe

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Elizabethan Mixture, Samuel Gawith - Sam's Flake (Kendal Mayor's Collection).

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (175)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tumblin' Dice....oh my, this is delicious weed.

I'm just recently became a HUGE fan(-atic) of Virginia/Perique/Kentucky-Blends. They are my all-day and every-day smoke. VA/PER/KY is - for me - THE mixture of tobaccos. The Trinity of tobacco.

So I got curious if a good VA/PER would also fit in my daily tobacco rotation. I had experienced a few VA/PERs (which I also reviewed), but never quite got hooked onto them. I orderes a few samples.

When I took a first sniffed on the Tumblin' Dices I knew this would fit my taste. Very rich scent of freshly mown grass and hay. Citrusy, slightly sweet. Plus the delicious aroma of the Perique in there - somewhat sour, at the same time a mild fruitiness which I appreciate in Perique tobaccos. All in all very inviting and savory.

The cut is a 'Cube Cut' - and oh dear, what a nice and well crafted cut this one is. Every chunk - or 'Cube' is supposed to carry all ingridients of the tobacco, to deliver a steady smoking experience. Just take a few Cubes into your palm and let them gently drop into your - preferably big sized - bowl. Tamp with your fingers very gently, take care of not pushing too hard.

Due to it's special Cut the lighting takes 2-3 tries. Not too hard, yet you should pay attention to it and be patient.

Once lit you're in VA/PER-Heaven! The tobacco provides a very creamy and full smoke. A gentle fruitiness is the first thing i notice, together with the typical "Perique-Tingle". Paired with the deep citrusy and moderately sweet quality Virginias. A little spice kicks in to make this a even more exciting tasting experience. The fruitiness is more in the back in this one. It's a bit more tangy, but well balance with the VAs. Also I'm getting a slightly nutty note in the back.

Very rich and creamy taste. Simple - yet exciting.

The only thing that's missing - but this really is just personal preference - is the Kentucky "oomph!". The smoke is more mellow than the VA/PER/KY-Blends im used to. Which isn't a bad thing at all. I love this blend for what it is.

Clearly a 4/4 Stars blend. I guess every VA/PER fan(atic) will like and love this one. Everything about this blend is just perfect in balance and the taste is outstanding. I'm definetly getting a tin (or two...:-P) of this one.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe

Purchased From: Dan Pipe (DTM)

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (105)

This is another brand that I always bring home when traveling. When I open this up it always smells fruity to me. Traditional Virgina it lights up fast and runs hard when puffed. I always have to slow down with this tobacco. I always seem to want to smoke it fast for the flavor. I love the ash here. It is very fine and builds up a cake in pipes very fast. I don't know why but it works.

Pipe Used: Stanwell