The choicest blend of Tobold Hornblower himself! Straight from Middle Earth, Old Toby brings together the finest Virginia and Burley leaves with a generous sugar casing and a dash of Louisiana Perique. A treat for your senses and your companions!

Notes: Released 2015.

Taste

Jasn Wilcox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jasn Wilcox (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I don’t know about all the nuances of tobacco reviews, but I will say Old Toby is the best tasting tobacco I’ve ever smoked. May have to relight or dry out or whatever ( I wouldn't think so but some might)... but as far as taste, best I’ve ever tasted. May benefit from a longer shanked pipe as I smoked it in my Bing's favorite and a Nording handmade, but again just damn good. Jon David hit a homerun mixing this blend. I swear I was shocked this was an aromatic. No bite, smooth as hell. Just wow!

Pipe Used: Brand new Bing's Favorite, Nording Handmade

LSUTigersFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LSUTigersFan (5)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Like most people who are Tolkien fans, the name alone drew me to this blend. It is a sweet smoke on the milder side of things with a woody sense from the burley. I do not have the most developed palette, but I could get a sense of the sugar coating that helped to create a great mouth feel. But, there is no tongue bite and a very generous amount of smoke. It presents a wonderful room note. I imagine it would go wonderfully with a port or sherry as a dessert or "end of the day" smoke.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Extra Smooth (806) - a lumberman

grimstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimstuff (7)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ii found this blend rather one-dimensional. Quite damp, needs drying out. Very heavy on the vanilla, almost overwhelming. Lots of smoke, have to baby it softly to keep it from getting too hot. Uninspiring.

Pipe Used: Cob