Westminster Abbey is an elegant blend of Virginia, burley, and hand-rubbed Virginia flake with a bit of black cavendish, topped with delicious cream caramel flavor.

BrandRattray
Strong
Taste

2.0
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Rattray - Westminister Abbey. One for the lovers of sweet blends!

I was a little confused when I first cracked open the tin; ribbons? As well as the ribbons my tin has a few wholesome broken flakes included in the blend, there's one that's about 3x2 cm's in fact! I don't see this negatively though, I think it gives the blend some character.

There's no missing the caramel in the tins scent. This comes over with a formidable force! Again, that's not meant negatively; it about makes me want to eat it!

As the moisture's good I can fill and light immediately, straight away I can see how this could be a bit of a 'love it or hate it' blend. The smoke is very thick and exceedingly sweet; the sweetness, however, seems a little nebulous as to what it comes from; it could be honey, caramel, maple or molasses. Whichever it comes from it's still a remarkably sweet taste!

Heavy aromatics often cause me huge tongue bite, this on the other hand doesn't. The smoke is cool and comfortable right the way through the bowl.

As I said, this has a heavy topping; it pretty much eradicates any of the natural idiosyncrasies from the tobacco's....100% false!!

A love it or hate it blend? If that's the case I'm well in the 'love it' camp! This is perfect for when I have yearning for something really sweet.

I'll have to stand out from the crowd. Four stars!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Enricoro Big Freehand

Age When Smoked: 2 Months

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (62)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

In the pouch (I received this as a 20 gram sample), this tobacco has an interesting aroma, hints of caramel, sure - but also a smell of fruity notes, which I assume is delivered by the tobacco, which would indicate that the flavouring is not there to mask the tobacco & should be somewhat muted and interplay with the tobacco without dominating it (this is not entirely the case).

The appearance of the tobacco is very pleasing to my eye, consisting of Bright Virginias, Dark Cavendish & Burley.

The mixture pack well, although some of the Cavendish is a bit clumpy so may need to be separated out before loading the pipe. Despite that characteristic within this tobacco, the moisture doesn't seem to be too high, and the tobacco is also not 'gloopy' in any way.

This blend burns well, with occasional sips it should need few - if any - relights.

The room note is quite delightful, full of the caramel top note that was scented in the pouch. It's smoke is fairly copious, so it can become a bit sickly if a whole bowlful is smoked in a small room.

The taste is not what I had expected from the pouch note. The tobacco only makes very fleeting appearances, and is dominated by the topping. The topping does have some caramel note to it (can't taste any cream, though). Unfortunately, however, the taste is rather synthetic & doesn't carry the promise of the pouch or room note up the pipe. I also suspect that they perhaps overused the Burley, which, whilst ensuring a good burn rate means that without a goodly measure of caution this can get devilishly hot & can also bite the tongue.

Overall, I'll give this two stars, it is an attractive tobacco with a good room note & burns well. It's also possible that some aromatic devotees will love it, but for me (not an aromatic expert/lover), it certainly isn't calling me back, and when this sample is finished, my one experience with this tobacco is likely to be my last - in other words, if you really like & know your aromatics, go ahead and buy some, it might be your thing, otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Pipe Used: Dr. Plum short billiard

Age When Smoked: unknown (but quite new I think)

Purchased From: sample from a friend

Similar Blends: None that I have tried.

DennisTheMenace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DennisTheMenace (2)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I did not care for this blend. The carmel flavoring was strong but pleasant when the pipe was first lit. But as the smoke continued the tobacco had an unpleasant flavor, burned very hot, and had a bite. I like Rattray very much, and I smoke Jockey's Mixture and 7 Reserve regularly. But this blend was a disappointment. On the container Rattray says "Westminster Abbey is far from being religious - this blend is truly a sin!". He got that right!

---------

An update: I emptied the container into a tobacco jar which was old - it doesn't really keep the tobacco moist, and if you have a wet tobacco it is a good means for slowly drying it. I let it dry for a couple of weeks. And following the advice of a previous commenter, I took care not to draw on the pipe as often as I normally would. This kept the tobacco from overheating the pipe, and cut way back on the bite. It was a fairly pleasant smoke, I'll probably be able to eventually work my way through the container, but wouldn't buy it again.

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (52)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Not bad, but not excellent. Shaggy ribbon cut with a few flakes of Cavendish. Easy to light and burns well. Flavor is not as strong as the tin note, but several layers of caramel and vanilla do come through. Burns to fine dottle. Easy to like but not easy to love.

Pipe Used: Falcon Billiard

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Skoma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skoma (26)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant

I just became sick of this one! Usually i am very excited about Rattray´s mixtures but Westminster Abbey was a fail for me! At first it was way to moist and didn´t burn properly whilst after drying out it became bitey as hell. There´s no tobacco taste in it, just the caramell. From the beginning to the end in every pipe. This will only appeal to hardcore caramell lovers! Otherwise stay away from the abbey!