It may be a luck of the draw, but the odds, at least, are in your favor: Grand Croupier's Boneyard may be composed of a random assortment of English/Latakia blends, but they are high quality English/Latakia blends, themselves composed of quality leaf to start with. Considering the results of our past blind review on Grand Croupier's all-sorts-of-all-kinds blend, expect a good smoke, at a very good price.

BrandGrand Croupier
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable, Strong
3.6
Leaf Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leaf Packer (30)

I smoke a lot of English an I must say this blend has not disappointed me after three lbs. You will find chunks and I mean chunks of flakes, Latakia I suppose,Virginia,burley once in a while as well as perique. I find the flake must enjoyable, it is my favorite cut of tobacco. More than satisfying it balanced beyond compare,Smokey but not overbearing, sweetness from grassy Virginias and depth form thr burley with just a hint of spice from the perique. I have found every little difference between purchases .It's is English as it should be bite less an rewarding an at a astounding price. Get some, you won't be disappointed, same some bucks.

Pipe Used: Savinelli,Rattray,Peterson

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Jan Westphal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jan Westphal (4)

Okay, as I understand this it's a bit of a lucky draw....well, I have been lucky then. The contents of the bag I received had a lovely smell, cut tobacco and random larger chunks of all sorts. This made lighting a little tricky but once lit the bowl smoked nice and clean all the way to the bottom. This Boneyard is a well selected and mixed blend with a strong Latakia accent, not based on Latakia but rather a great English mixture with the right amount of Lat to spice it all up. To me this blend is pretty complex in flavours and can easily compete with other tobaccos twice the price. Ordered some more!

Pipe Used: CCs and briars

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Aussie puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aussie puffer (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

Bit of a lottery apparently but I'm well pleased with my first gamble... a very good quality latakia in with some good solid Turkish leaf . Bit peppery on the tongue due to the perique but I'll be definitely coming back for another bet.

Pipe Used: Bari (big bowl)

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: A peppery Dunhill EMP comes closest.

Taowhywhy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taowhywhy (12)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Dominated by the Latakia with a touch of Oriental, it got a little punch in it, if you want some vitamin N, this fits the bill. Lacking a little bit of refinement, but of course, it is a matter of personal taste! Nice for the evening! Absolutely no complaint for the price I paid!

3.5 out of 5

Pipe Used: Savinelli pot (Gr5 24 * 34)

Age When Smoked: Less than a year

Purchased From: Smokingpipes dot com

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Grand Croupier - Bone Yard (Grand Croupier).

So, as this is high-end sweepings, reviews could vary! But the pouch I got smokes nicely.

Because of the nature of it the pouch comprises many different cuts: leaves, broken flakes, ribbons, and twigs. The moisture's good, and it smell's typically English.

On to the smoke: mine contains a lot of Latakia; both woody and smoky. I also get quite a nice Oriental flavour, and a notable touch of Perique; it's a fairly robust batch. I get a thick, medium temperature, bite-free, smoke, from Bone Yard.

The room-note's exactly as I'd expect from an English, and the nicotine's medium to strong.

This pouch is worth four stars, but I bet they'll all differ. With that in mind, I think three stars is fair.

Recommended.