It may be a luck of the draw, but the odds, at least, are in your favor: Grand Croupier's Boneyard may be composed of a random assortment of English/Latakia blends, but they are high quality English/Latakia blends, themselves composed of quality leaf to start with. Considering the results of our past blind review on Grand Croupier's all-sorts-of-all-kinds blend, expect a good smoke, at a very good price.

BrandGrand Croupier
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Unknown, Virginia
CutMixture
Strength
Taste

3.8
Leaf Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leaf Packer (30)

I smoke a lot of English an I must say this blend has not disappointed me after three lbs. You will find chunks and I mean chunks of flakes, Latakia I suppose,Virginia,burley once in a while as well as perique. I find the flake must enjoyable, it is my favorite cut of tobacco. More than satisfying it balanced beyond compare,Smokey but not overbearing, sweetness from grassy Virginias and depth form thr burley with just a hint of spice from the perique. I have found every little difference between purchases .It's is English as it should be bite less an rewarding an at a astounding price. Get some, you won't be disappointed, same some bucks.

Pipe Used: Savinelli,Rattray,Peterson

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

LaroldC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LaroldC (3)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

An intrepid English lover's secret treasure. To review a pot-luck blend is necessarily highly subjective, but I find Boneyard to be fairly consistent from bag to bag. It is typically a peppery, leathery, sweet smoke with a real kick. I detect a lot of different leaf there but mostly Latakia (Cyprian?), dark-fired Kentucky (Burley and/or true Kentucky), Perique, dark Virginia (not seeing or tasting a lot of bright Virginia), and even Black Cavendish. I may miss the mark on a couple of these, but that's my guess at the basic mix. It is strong in flavor and nicotine level. Very close to Dunhill Nightcap. Smoke this one on a full tummy or you'll start spinning. A great after-dinner or evening settle-in smoke. I recommend ensuring proper hydration and then sealing and cellaring a pound or two, but it is great right out of the bag. For the budget-minded: It is a total steal. Stock up before they run the popularity numbers and jack up the price!

Pipe Used: meerschaum, meerschaum lined briar, briar, cob

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Similar Blends: Dunhill My Mixture 965, Dunhill Nightcap, Peterson's Old Dublin, Arango Balkan Supreme, Comoy's Cask #11, John Cotton 3, Balkan Sasieni.

Jan Westphal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jan Westphal (4)

Okay, as I understand this it's a bit of a lucky draw....well, I have been lucky then. The contents of the bag I received had a lovely smell, cut tobacco and random larger chunks of all sorts. This made lighting a little tricky but once lit the bowl smoked nice and clean all the way to the bottom. This Boneyard is a well selected and mixed blend with a strong Latakia accent, not based on Latakia but rather a great English mixture with the right amount of Lat to spice it all up. To me this blend is pretty complex in flavours and can easily compete with other tobaccos twice the price. Ordered some more!

Pipe Used: CCs and briars

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Aussie puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aussie puffer (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

Bit of a lottery apparently but I'm well pleased with my first gamble... a very good quality latakia in with some good solid Turkish leaf . Bit peppery on the tongue due to the perique but I'll be definitely coming back for another bet.

Pipe Used: Bari (big bowl)

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: A peppery Dunhill EMP comes closest.

tschenyinkoh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tschenyinkoh (51)

I don't find much Latakia in there. The bulk note is sweet and woody, accompanying with some smokey aroma. Comes with ribbon, broken flake, cut plugs and other coarse cuts.

When smoking: No bite, pretty smooth and creamy; medium body with not much refinement or delicateness.

Very good Oriental forward English blend. Considering the price, it is a four-star blend (16 bucks for one pound).

Pipe Used: churchwarden

Purchased From: 1 oz bulk from smokingpipes

UncleSquinty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleSquinty (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Of the three allsorts blends from C&D's "Grand Croupier" range, Bone Yard is the absolute treasure. My batch contained (guessing by taste) around 15% Latakia, plenty of condimental tobaccos, some peppery/fruity Perique and some grassy and pleasing Virginias. It is gently sour sweet with plenty of chewy mouth feel and fabulous burn characteristics. The price leads me to believe that this is the best value in an English-style blend anywhere. Bar none.

Tongue bite? No, and I wouldn't expect any bite from an English. Mechanically, this weed behaves beautifully in the pipe; its manners are irreproachable. Chars and lights with a single match, and the bowl I just finished required not one relight to burn it down to a medium ash with just a few ticks of charcoal. As this is an allsorts blend (I prefer "allsorts" to "sweepings"), the cuts are a real mix, ranging from little shaggy bits to chuncks of broken flake. I did a bit of rubbing to get it into a uniform cut but found later that it really works best straight from the bag. Moisture in my batch was perfect; the tobacco required no drying before I packed it into a Missouri Meerschaum "Great Dane' spool with a 6 mm. balsa filter.

My batch apparently had a bit more Virginia tobacco than others have reported. Funny thing is, at times this reminded me of Early Morning Pipe...but the bowl I just smoked felt and tasted more like Nightcap. Yesterday's bowl had more Orientals in it, making it take on the aspect of Derbar. Nicotine level is pretty high for me but very manageable. I got a few wee hiccups near the bottom of the bowl from the Vitamin N

I don't care what kind of pipe or tobacco snob you might be; in a blind taste test, you'd be singing this blend's praises and swearing that it is some new boutique blend from the likes of Greg Peas. I would bet cash money that you can fool your pipe expert friends with this one, although you'll want to manicure the tobacco a bit to remove the odd stem and twig encountered here before trying to fool Dr. Pipe Know-it-All. Otherwise, this is among the best English blends I have ever tried and is well worth the bargain basement price. Is it pretty to look at? Not really. Is it a marvelous value? Yes. Should you buy a pound to have on hand, for around $16.00? Absolutely. This is my favorite of all three of the Grand Croupier offerings. I will buy it again...next time, it will be a full pound instead of the paltry four ounces I currently have on hand. .

Pipe Used: Corncobs and an old meer billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the vendor

Similar Blends: Many different, pricy English blends.

Taowhywhy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taowhywhy (12)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Dominated by the Latakia with a touch of Oriental, it got a little punch in it, if you want some vitamin N, this fits the bill. Lacking a little bit of refinement, but of course, it is a matter of personal taste! Nice for the evening! Absolutely no complaint for the price I paid!

3.5 out of 5

Pipe Used: Savinelli pot (Gr5 24 * 34)

Age When Smoked: Less than a year

Purchased From: Smokingpipes dot com

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Grand Croupier - Bone Yard (Grand Croupier).

So, as this is high-end sweepings, reviews could vary! But the pouch I got smokes nicely.

Because of the nature of it the pouch comprises many different cuts: leaves, broken flakes, ribbons, and twigs. The moisture's good, and it smell's typically English.

On to the smoke: mine contains a lot of Latakia; both woody and smoky. I also get quite a nice Oriental flavour, and a notable touch of Perique; it's a fairly robust batch. I get a thick, medium temperature, bite-free, smoke, from Bone Yard.

The room-note's exactly as I'd expect from an English, and the nicotine's medium to strong.

This pouch is worth four stars, but I bet they'll all differ. With that in mind, I think three stars is fair.

Recommended.