A full-bodied, golden flake from the best Virginia grades and Louisiana Perique. This tobacco gives you a very smooth smoking pleasure with the naturally-smooth taste, which the friends of an excellent Flakes appreciate it so much.

BrandDan Tobacco
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Extremely Mild
Taste

3.4

Extremely similar to Reiner's Long Golden Flake. More sweetness from the Virginia in this one and less Perique punch. I think it would have been more of a run of the mill VaPer had it not been for the exceptional (although lighter than I usually appreciate) Virginia (Red and Bright).

Pipestud

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I had this in the cellar for years. Basically I forgot about it until I was looking for a change of pace from the last few months of almost all English and Balkan blends. Tin note is of fermented prunes and figs, with a slight sour (but pleasant) note. Flakes are a bit drier than I am used to, but near perfect smoking condition. Rubs out quite easily, packs nice and lights with ease. The first few bowls seemed to be prevalent with Perique, but subsequent bowls it was more muted. The Virginias are superb, and balance quite well with the Perique. They get sweeter as the bowl progresses, as long as you aren't an aggressive smoker. I'm not sure if I am detecting a casing, or if it is a natural occurring flavor from the aging process. Either way, it is unique.

I can see how this could bite if provoked, but for the most part, it was pretty easy on my tongue. Definitely not the cheapest and most affordable flake, but one definitely worth spending the few extra dollars.

Age When Smoked: Atleast 4 years old

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (115)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The tin note is absolutely gorgeous-sort of raisins and figs with a hint of vanilla. The moist content, on the other hand, seems to be about right, but I had my tin open for a while to have a breather before I decided to finally load my bowl and light up. I find the room note very pleasing, but it feels kind of soapy at times. The flakes have a leathery consistency, comprise brown and gold leaf, look sugary and sticky, and will crumble easily. Packing is easy too even if you opt for breaking the flakes instead of rubbing it all out. I can detect some casing, but it is not overpowering. This is a very slow burning tobacco. I did not know it had any perique in it and, for most of the time, it is the virginia I detect in my smoke, which is sweet and mellow. Also, it builds up in strength and flavour the more you smoke, but I'd say it is rather medium throughout. I am missing the nutty dimension in my palate so characteristic in most virginia tobaccos despite the fact I can detect it in the room note, but this is a good smoke anyway. By the end of it, it gets zesty or citrusy, which is something that would indicate the presence of perique, but I am still wondering whether there is any in it at all. All in all, I have thoroughly enjoyed this mixture, so I will give it three stars.

Edit1: What I did not enjoy about this tobacco is all down to the casing. This is the reason why I would reject most Danish blends, for they tend to abuse it. Because of this, I have decided to downgrade this to two stars.

JimInks (2042)

The very grassy, hay-like, citrusy, honeyish, lightly bready Virginia is the major player. There’s a hint of dark fruit, sugar and earth from a slightly darker Virginia. The raisiny, figgy, spicy perique is a condiment, and the spice isn’t as noticeable as the other attributes. It also recedes further in the background as you go along, and the sweetness (which reminds me a little of honey graham crackers) gathers a little strength at the same time the perique subsides. Not sure what this is topped with, but it’s sweet and very mildly applied. The strength level is just past mild while the taste is a step more potent than that as it falls short of being mild to medium. The nic-hit is fairly mild. Won’t bite or get harsh, but has no exciting moments. Burns cool clean, and a little slow. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl, and needs some relights. Has a pleasant after taste and room note. An all day Virginia forward smoke. Two and a half stars.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (177)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I ordered this as a sample. Dan Pipe sends most Flake-Tobacco samples as "sliced-Flakes". So I was pretty confused, when I saw the "Virginia Slices" are SLICES and not SLICED. Either way the tobacco looks really appetizing.

The tin aroma is fresh and sparkling. A tasty potpourri of fruit, citrusy hay and a slight hint of (milk-)chocolate, if you take a deep sniff.

As I got this as sliced Flakes, I enjoy smoking it that way and will slice the flake slices of the next tin, too. Handling is uncomplicated: Pack a bowl, light it - ENJOY! No worries here and the tobacco is just of right moisture level for my taste.

The taste isn't complex, yet honest and palatable in it's simplicity. No peaks to be found - but also no dull spots. The tobacco tastes excellent from the first lighting to the last crumbles of ash. The Virginias shine with a very fine taste of freshly mown grass and/or hay. A bit of citrus makes it fresh and sparkling.A slight piquant note in the back that's enhanced by the natural tanginess and tingling mouth-feel of the Perique. The Perique (which is more in the back, but deinetly noticeable!) adds a slight fruit note, that supplements the grassy, citrusy Virginias perfectly and create a ejoyable harmony in the taste. A restrained sweetness is always present and in perfect proportion to the spice of this blend.

Somehow me and a lot of other smokers can't help but notice the (milk-)chocolate taste that's lurking. Is it a casing? Is there Burley hiding in the mixture? It doensnt raelly matter, because either way I find it very pleasant and for me it adds that certain something. EDIT: Somehow it has lost it's "milk-chocolate-charme", I guess this was maybe coming from another blend produced in the same factory? Sadly this aroma is gone now, and leaves behing a tasteful - but average Va/Per, which is still enjoyable.

I'm pretty sure if there wasn't this chocolate-note in this blend, I'd give it 3/4 Stars and i would hesitate if I should by a tin of it (EDIT: See above...it lost this choco-note, so I'll downrate to 3/4 stars). But like this there's no doubts left - 4/4 stars for a unique, well-balanced and interesting blend. Definetly a All-Day-Smoke.

Pipe Used: Various Briars / Clay Pipe / Meerschaum

Purchased From: Dan Pipe (DTM)

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (88)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

Dan Tordenskjold is packaged in a round tin, but the contents are neatly manicured 3” x 1½” slices of beautiful mahogany colored flake. The bouquet is sweet and somewhat grassy, but mostly raisin-like – very appealing, with the merest hint of fermentation. The moisture level is ideal for immediate use, and it will fold or rub out very nicely. It takes to the light very well and immediately produces a nice volume of smoke with wonderful mouth feel. The nicotine level is moderate, and it smokes coolly and dryly with minimal relights. It is exceptionally smooth and balanced, with no hot or acrid elements whatsoever.

This is not a sharp, grassy Va. flake, nor is it particularly pungent or zesty. Rather, it has a sweet, wine-like flavor that I’m guessing is predominantly red Va. – though there is almost certainly brighter varieties present for highlights and a hint of tang. The Perique content is not high, this is a Virginia showpiece.

Tordenskjold is a very tasty, sophisticated blend that can serve as a fine example of the genre. I highly recommend it as an all day smoke, but it possesses sufficient complexity for those who wish to dedicate some time and focused reflection on a masterfully accomplished blend. This is in a class with Solani, Fribourg & Treyer, Orlik, and other top shelf Va. flakes.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Dan Tobacco - Tordenskjold Virginia Slices.

The tin contains two rows of thin, medium brown, slightly mottled, perfectly moist, flakes. I like to fully rub my flake tobaccos and these do so with brilliant ease. Tin-note is slightly plummy/fruity.

The smoke is a lighter kind of VaPer. The Virginia accounts for a much higher proportion of the flavour, and the smoke's delicately seasoned with Perique; so, it isn't vinegary, sharp, or a spice-bomb. Subtle plums, and dark fruit, rather than a caustic addition. The star of the show's the Virginia, being more of a fresh-hay flavour, than stickily over-ripe. The burn can't be criticized, nor can the temperature.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: very pleasant.

A four star VaPer:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Rattray's

I bought my tin of this this past winter because somebody said they liked it, and since I love VP blends so much, my arm doesn't need to be twisted too hard.

Opening the tin revealed (very) thin flakes of mostly light color clumped together in the middle of a round tin. Such appears to be the future with new labeling laws in Europe. The round tins are superior for purpose of sealing, but the square/rectangular tins make for the best presentation for flakes.

These flakes were probably thinner than any I have ever seen. This made prep a breeze. Tearing was not even necessary. The moisture of the flakes was perfect upon opening and the tin aroma was wonderful. Sweet Virginia/dried fruits. Exactly how you would want a VP blend to smell. The tin note reminded me of Exhausted Rooster, but that is about the only thing these two blends share.

I would say this is on the light side of Virginia as it was pretty mild to my palate. The first half of the blend was really blah for me, but the second half was kind of nice. The sweetness really came forth and made for a nice finish. The perique in this blend is light. Almost Orlik Golden Sliced light. In fact this blend kind of reminded me of OGS, but I would have to say I prefer OGS to this one.

The side stream was nice, almost like baking bread. So this increased the pleasure to what was otherwise just a mediocre VP to my tastes. I am torn between 2 to 3 stars on this one. I smoke a lot of VP blends and this one won't be missed and may be, entirely forgotten, after a year or two. In fact, If someone asked me to recommend a VP from Dan, St. Bernard Flake would come to mind before this one, but this one is still not bad. I can't say I disliked it at all. I feel the positives outweigh the negatives enough to justify a third star, so I am rounding up.

Pipe Used: BST 2010 Christmas Calabash

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced.

I'm mad at my taste buds for loving this stuff. It has a stronger note of hay than I usually like - it's not as well rounded as I usually like - and it doesn't evolve as much as I usually like. Having said all that, this flake is delicious. A fairly strong note of hay with a nice hit of citrus. I can get just a hint of darker fruit from the Perique whose spice only shows toward the end of the bowl. There's something in the extremely mild topping that makes this for me. Can't identify it, but that's what makes this delicious. Wish I knew what it is. 4 stars.

Mild to medium in body and taste. Flavoring is extremely mild. Burns great.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Braed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Braed (18)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I don't know when I first open the tin I smell some vinegar and a bit of a new-mown flower field. The tobacco comes a little bit too wet. So I let the tin opened for about 3 hours. And then what should I say. Perfect! No tongue bites. Burns very well and evenly. Highly recommeded. This is my first virginia with perique tobacco and definitely not the last one.

Purchased From: Danpipe Germany

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (54)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

A nice Virginia flake alternative . Very little , if any , topping . You need to be a little patient with this one . The slow smoker is rewarded with a subtle Virginia taste that is some what fruity . I aged a can for around 2 years and it really stepped up the flavor . Nice tin note that makes the flake lover want to smoke it . This , to me , is one of Dan's better offerings .

Gaius Baltar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gaius Baltar (18)

When opening the can we found a flake brimmed with gold and light brown. The smell has several citrus and fruit touches. The humidity is a little more than necessary. However it lights well and only occasional re-ignition is necessary. From the first moment the taste is sweet and spicy on the nose, the effect is delicious and is maintained until the end, the smoke is creamy and smooth. It is a tobacco of high quality and 100 per 100 recommended

Pipe Used: Monteforte from Lorenzo

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: Duaso tobacco shop, Barcelona.