Iwan Ries

The basic tobaccos are broadly akin to those of Red Rapparee. Carefully apportioning of the quantities of seasoning leaf brings about a dark full-bodied mixture. A notable tobacco.

BrandRattray

3.1
Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Delicious accompaniment to the Red Raparee. Fuller, darker tobaccos overall with a generous dose of Latakia. The tin aroma is not dominated by Latakia, but is decidedly smokier than the RR. Lots of earthy, fermented smells from the orientals too.

It lights with ease, and burns just as well, evenly and fairly slow, right to the bottom. The flavour is full, spicy, with a pleasant smokiness well backed up by the orientals. The flavour gets richer toward the bottom of the bowl, and the sell is wonderful, especiallly whenm smoking out of doors in the crisp winter air.

Where RR is a smoke for the autumn, this is a tobacco well suited to winter, the cold air brings out the best flavor and aroma. I cant think of many things more pleasurable than smoking this while walking home from the pub through the snow covered Hertfordshire countryside. Strongly reccomended to lovers of Latakia.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Appearance: Mostly dark, some ribbons and some random pieces.

Aroma: Very full Latakia aroma with goodly amounts of darker Va, and black Cavendish (unsweetened). Some Turkish in the background.

Packing: Seemed to pack best in larger pipes, with a light touch needed.

Lighting: Took flame readily when not overpacked

Initial flavor: Very big, rich and mellow. The Cavendish led the parade with its smooth nutty taste, the Latakia lent it a smokiness that was just right..

Mid-bowl: No single flavor dominated the mixture, but all of them weighed in to form a nicely layered, complex, undemanding smoke. Cool at all times, can be enjoyed alone or with any beverage of your choice.

Finish: No surprises at the end, just a bit more Latakia presence.

Summary: This was one of my favorites in the pre-Danish days, I smoked it almost every evening. I?m really happy that it?s been restored so close to the original.

This blend is tasty, mellow and balanced. I find it to be a little milder than I think some of the reviewers do. The black cavendish keeps it from being harsh, and I can pick up the smoky latakia, the sweet Virginia and the spicy orientals in about that order of dominance. It works well, although for my palate, I would like a little more body.

This one is easy to recommend if you are interested in a smooth and somewhat refined English flavor profile. I found this to be an easy smoke. It did not burn hot, and it was easy to keep lit.

Cost per ounce is somewhat high if you pay attention to these things, but it might be worth having some around.

dhbillings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dhbillings (9)

After all the build up I had heard about this blend, when I actually got my hands on a tin I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. This is not to say that it's not a good blend as it most certainly is, but in the end Black Mallory just didn't quite do it for me in the manner in which I was hoping.

The cut is a perfect ribbon. There might be a couple of larger bits throughout a tin, but this is minimal. The coloration is a mixture of lighter, medium, and darker browns. And when opening the tin, I get a deep, almost woodsy smell that is lightly sweet. Packing and lighting also come quite easily and without effort.

Once lit, I find myself swimming in a smoke of intricate subtleties. The latakia is present, of course, and is flavorful. It does, however, seem to lack the punch that many other English blends that I enjoy have. Perhaps this is because of the Orientals, which are equally as present as the latakia, if not a little bit more so. The Virginias are also present, coming through sweet and mild. It is on the lighter side of "full English mixtures," but is still a great smoke nonetheless.

I think the reason this one fell slightly flat for me was (1) the build up to trying it and (2) the lack of age. The build up before I bought a tin was incredible; I had people who have tastes quite agreeable to mine tell me how much they love this blend. Also I opened my tin less than two weeks after purchasing it, meaning it had no time to age. And honestly, I think this is a blend best left untouched for a while so that it may age. If I had let my tin sit for a year, I may have been saying this was a favorite blend of mine. As it is I find it to be great - but not quite the best - and worth purchasing again with intentions of cellaring.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I first tried Rattray as a high school sophomore. I worked on a loading dock next to a Tinder Box, where I would trade damaged cheese & sausages for undamaged tins & pouches of tobacco. Because I was a devout Norse Gold, heavy aromatic smoker, I did not appreciate the subtleties of Rattray, Dunhill or the newly arrived McClelland's that were all the rage among my older pipe smoking buddies. I didn't appreciate Rattray probably because I hadn't developed a palate or tobacco vocabulary wide enough to appreciate it. As a middle aged man traveling about Scotland, I was not given the opportunity to sample the Rattray products, as the venerable shop in the charming town of Perth had since closed. The gracious host at my inn told me that Charles Rattray had died & had no one to pass his 'wee' shop on to. 'A wee, little shop, it was' as he put it. Sorry to say, Black Mallory, though of refined quality, doesn't send chills up & down my spine. It's subtle enough, but it's rather bland & unimaginative. Also, depending upon humidity or room temperature, you have to fight like the Dickens to keep this stuff lit. It's simply not worth the frustration. It's a bit too light on the Latakia and lacks the full-bodied character & aggressiveness of Dunhill's Aperitif & London Mixture. Since I have no basis of comparison to the old Rattray blends, I can't speak about it. As for how it stands now, Black Mallory charms but in an unmemorable sort of way.

Three of five stars

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice tin note. The smokiness of the Latakia seems to be the predomininant aroma, which I absolutely love. Nice dark ribbons with the odd light ribbon strewn here and there. Moisture is perfect right out of the can. Very nice and mellow smoke with no re-light. Wonderful flavour when rolled around the mouth and slowly exhaled from the nose. You taste and smell the beauty of this blend. A nice evening smoke worth trying.

Pipe Used: Several Peterson's

Age When Smoked: New 100g tin

Purchased From: Jades smokers corner

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (134)

This is yet another fine offering from Rattray. The blend is expertly mixed with fine ingredients that ends as a great mixture worthy of the pipe smoking gods. The moisture level is just perfect upon opening. The tin note and room note are just wonderful. This blend lights and stays lit with little effort. The nicotine level is on the lower end of the spectrum, so it should not be too harsh for anyone. It burns down to a fine ash at the bottom of the pipe. Highly recommended.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A full bodied English with plenty of latakia offering a slight sweetness along with the smokey, woody qualities you'd expect from Cyprian latakia. The Virginias are earthy and grassy, and are the ground base for the other players in the mixture. The Orientals/Turkish offer a tasty spice and campfire flavor for a nice balance. The extra flavor dimension from the black cavendish is welcome because it's not overused nor does it conflict with what smokers generally look for in English blends. Not an all day smoke, but a filling, pleasing friend to relax with after a nice meal.

The first word that comes to mind when I smoke this is "luxurious". I can picture the royalty in Scotland smoking this stuff, before breakfast and after, as they lounge in their smoking rooms.

Dark black with streaks of chocolate brown, this is the heavier companion to Red Rapparee in the sense that the tobaccos are the same. However, the quantities of each are different, and the result is a heavier, richer smoke with fewer subtleties than RR. It smokes cool and sweet and has a hearty flavor that goes well after dinner... or after a big lunch. This is one tobacco that demands a relaxed state in order to appreciate its robustness. No limp wrists in this blend. Since Dunhill 965 has made itself scarce in the U.S, this will take its place in my rotation, next to Red Rap. Very sensuous tobacco with great rich flavor.

If you like full flavor and depth, this is one you can't afford to miss. The K&K version may be different than the older one, but it stands on its own.

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Preface: I have been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium for near-on 30 years, believing that it has no equal anywhere on earth. But it is gone now, and so I begin a quest for my Holy Grail: A substitute to replace the standard on which all English tobaccos are based:

Black Mallory comes up short. It's too harsh for my tastes, but paradoxically, not strong enough, leaving me pulling on my pipe in search of satisfaction. I suspect the former is due to Orientals, and the latter Cavendish. I was never a big fan of 965 due to the Cavendish, but if you were, you might try this one. I just feel it lacks a full body feel, which is typical of cavendish blends.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

Black Mallory offers Latakia in nice proportion to the other components. The cool smoky flavor of the Latakia combines well with the sweet tang of the Va. This blend is not overpowering in any way. Black Mallory would be a good choice for the Va smoker looking to venture into the world of Latakia.

Though a light English, the good earthy flavor and subtle interplay of flavors are enough to keep the dedicated English smoker happy. Similar, in a way to ?Accountants?.

I found that sweet drinks such as iced tea enhance the flavor of Black Mallory. Because it is fairly light, I can see this as a summertime ?on the porch with a pitcher of tea? blend.

I don?t give away 4-star ratings very easily ? Black Mallory is worthy.

JuanCarlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanCarlos (13)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

One of my all time favorites english mixtures. Nice orientals backing up a generous portion of latakia and hints of dried figs on the cavendish. It gains strength on the middle of the bowl and left only grey ashes.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I ordered a tin of this since it was described to me as a good English from Rattray, and similar to 965. I find it to be overdone with black Cavendish and some kind on light topping. Not what I think of as an English tobacco. Harsh and stringent at times, leaving it's mark on my tongue. This stuff does smell outstanding in the tin. Might be a good tobacco for someone moving from aromatics.

Rocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rocket (7)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Rattray's best blend IMHO. The description states that the basic tobacco is broadly akin to those of Red Rapparee, but that's not exactly how it comes across to me. From my smoking perspective, the only kinship to Red Rapparee is that they both happen to be Englishes, and that's where the similarities end.

Red Rapparee is a much stronger blend, and not quite as flavorful. Some may consider me crazy, but I kind of liken Black Mallory to G.L. Pease's Renaissance. There appears to be a noticible Syrian Latakia presence in this blend, giving it a buttery, nutty flavor.

Unlike Red Rapparee, this medium blend works well as an all day tobacco. While it has only average lighting qualities, it does burn clean and dry. The flavor is consistently good from one bowl to the next. If you happen to like English blends, this may be one you can be loyal to.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This Rattray's Tobacco is el Supremo of the Rattray's line of fine tobaccos. I should also say that this glorious mixture and Dunhill's London mixture are my Desert Island choices. Made up of some really naturally sweet Virginias which are stoved and unstoved that marry so well with fine Turkish and Cyprian latakia. I believe there is another type of leaf in the mix as well but cannot put my finger on it. The cut of the tobacco is narrow ribbon. The taste is full and has an edge like looking over a cliff at the wind swept sea. The fullness of the latakia with the Turkish, Virginia interwoven into the silky heavy clouds of smoke are an english fanciers delight.Enjoy this tobacco while sipping a good smokey single malt Scotch Whisky, its a real treat in taste.

Strong None Detected Full Strong

Perhaps I am more used to the Dunhill/ Sobranie/Sullivan Powell type of English mixtures, but I find it very difficult to rate and appreciate the Rattrays´ varieties. Although they seem to use top grade leafs Rattrays? Oriental/Latakia mixtures tend to be on the dry, harsh side, and oddly spicy to my taste (quite the contrary to their Virginias, which I find not only exceedingly palatable, but smooth and very well tempered). Now, of the Rattray?s Oriental family, Black Mallory and Highland Targe seem to me an exception.

Mineral and strong I can only think of Black Mallory as an upgraded, rounder version of the old Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture. BM is less ?aromatic?, but strangely enough deeper in flavour, and much more defined in the Latakia-Oriental spectrum. The Virginias here are virtually non existent, or in any case they are of such variety that they merely add a whisper to the final flavour, leaving the centre stage to the stronger Orientals.

I agree with Pipestud in that this is a more refined tobacco than Red Raparee. Indeed it its stronger, but I find it is less pungent and astringent. There is a certain ?nature? quality---a zest almost grassy, earthy and humid (maybe the steam sensation referred to by tillmanj?)--- that sets it apart from most English blends.

Full but not exactly heavy, it burns very nicely and has a long lasting, bitter-sweet and smokey flavour, that invites you to meditate or to contemplate things with a certain aloofness. The only other tobacco that slightly reminds me of RBM is Dunhill?s London Mixture, albeit the latter in a much more milder and restrained fashion. If Black Mallory has a drawback is its jealousness: once you smoke a couple of bowls, it will be some days before other tobaccos taste like something. An excellent choice for the full bodied Latakia smoker.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is Rattray's best English blend. Much more refined than Red Raparee, it contains a hint of sweetness and changes character as the bowl is smoked.

If you enjoy a hearty palate pleasing latakia blend, then this is for you. If, on the other hand, latakia overwhelms you in large doses, then avoid this one. Not real strong but full of flavor. And the smell right out of the tin is heavenly.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)

This is a decent smoke, nice, mellow, sweet and smokey. A very well balanced blend and nice to smoke with a cup of coffee at relax time, not too powerful or overwhalming, just at the right balance so this blend have it's own character that each composition had "married" so well to build the taste and flavor of the smoke. The tin note is good, smokey and herbal scent smells so good when first open the tin. Is nice to pack and is not difficult to keep the light. Burn so well at my pipe and not make my pipe too hot. Smokey taste with the nice sweetness from the cavendish follows with little bit spicy and earthy from the orientals taste so good at my palate. With medium strength I really enjoy a pleasant smoke and not worried about the tongue bite. Just sip it slowly, with proper pack the draw is easy to make a great smoke and for somewhat, when I smoke this blend, it reminds me with the McClelland's Old Dog and Dunhill MM965, I found the similar sweetness and taste at this blend.

Pipe Used: Chacom Epsom

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

Purchased From: Indonesia Local Tobacconist

Similar Blends: McClelland Old Dog, Dunhill My Mixture 965.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)

The name and the tin are beautiful. The mixture is also refined and sweet. I like it better on medium sized to small pipes and on cloudy weather.

I really like this blend. It's got a little something special to it that makes it stand out for me. The Latakia and the fine Orientals lead the way in nice balance. Next is the Black Cav followed by the mildly sweet Virginias. It's the way the Black Cav fits in that makes this special for me. It's interaction with the Latakia creates a wonderful flavor. I just love it. It's really weird that this same Black Cav is the reason I didn't care for Marlin Flake. I guess it just fits better here. Medium bodied with medium to full flavors. 4 stars.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

long time ago ( 15 Years ?) it was a good tobacco -

now its one of many equal under the same prescription - names but among other.

Kohlhase - not more to say

Similar Blends: Kohlhase tobaccos:, all are more or less the same - no difference:, Kohlhase - Ashton Artisan´s Blend, Kohlhase - Rattray Black Mallory, Kohlhase - Huber Balkan Blend, Kohlhase - Astley's No.99 Royal Tudor Full Latakia Mixture, Kohlhase HU - Tobacco- Original Warehouseblend - Balkan Passion.

Mild Mild to Medium Very Full Pleasant

This is one of my favorites as I am a massive fan of black Cavendish . I would highly recommend this as I find it very comforting with a prodigious flavor. It gives a lovely scent upon opening the tin . I found no bite and the taste stayed full for the whole pipe long . If you choose to inhale the smoke it doesn't give a painful kick . It gave a consistent burn which did not require constant re lighting . If you like Cavendish then this wont let you down !

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef

Purchased From: Mysmoking Shop

Passion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Passion (28)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've tried all 3 versions of this and the original rattray's blend wins hands down. That blend is absolutely superb with a great aged mellowness and the oriental at the forefront. An absolutely sublime smoke.

Unfortunately the McConnel and K&K blends fall way short and are nothing to write home about. My club and I detected a top note of some sort in these two versions. It was smokeable, but nothing really stood out about this blend. If you can't get the original rattrays from the 60s or 70s, skip it. There are better orientals out there.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)
Mild None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I had not written a review of this until I read Reiny's review today.

I have to agree. It was harsh. I like forward Latakia blends, but this was just bitter in a negative way. I tried it in many pipes and with varying degrees of drying- still found it harsh.

Nicotine was not pronounced. I was very much looking forward to this, but if in 6 months I can't make it work, I have to believe its not for me.

Reiny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reiny (5)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Should be Flavoring: harsh, Taste and Strength: none detected. I hope to God the rest of the Rattrays line are better than this because this is absolutely awful. Tinder dry, flat, harsh and tasteless and absolutely no nicotine to speak of, if you puff hard enough on it you might eventually be rewarded with the flavour of your own cooking toungue. Avoid.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (32)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This tobacco came highly recommended by my local tobacconist. I got myself a 100 gram tin and sadly, I couldn't smoke more than 4 bowls before giving it away.

While it is quality leaf no doubt, I find it too mild and it has a slight sweet casing that I find disconcerting.

Like frog morton on the town, I would recommend this tobacco to an aromatic smoker that wants to make a gradual transition to english blends.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Top notch stuff. I bought a tin of this and a tin of SG Squadron Leader and, though they are two different tobaccos, I really love this blend. I keep reaching for this tin when I have the two setting out on my bar. I enjoy S.L. as well, but will be stocking up on more Mallory! A nice mild all day smoke.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)

Not a bad English but not my favorite. Depending on the pipe, it would shine though. Sometimes a nice Kingsford charcoal briquette taste would dominate...but not all the time. Worth a try.

Soli Deo gloria!

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I've been smoking pipes for a good few years now, I have a tendancy to go for latakia blends, especially ones with a dose of oriental. I didn't know quite what to expect from this blend knowing that it has black cavendish in it. I normally tend to associate black cavendish with more aromatic blends. However, Mr Rattray must've known what he was doing all those years ago when he perfected this one as it seems to complement the rest of the tobaccos seemlessly. It has the typical metallic/smoky flavour from the latakia, but is very well rounded by the VA's and orientals, burns brilliantly right from initial lighting without any drying out prior to smoking, an excellent smoke all round, four stars!

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I can echo BriarBurner's sentiments here. Black Mallory is my go-to summertime English blend. It's got my favorite combination of tobaccos: VA, Lat, and Oriental, just like my all-time favorite blend, C&D's Good Morning.

Black Mallory is rich, mellow, well-balanced, and works well in every pipe I've smoked it in. Mild for an English, with low Nick strength. Perfect entry-level English, easy to enjoy when a heavy English blend is just TOO heavy. Recommended.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I used to smoke Black Mallory often and for whatever reason stopped about three years ago. I came across some from 2010 and after a couple of pipes I remembered why. BM is a good quality medium English blend that in some ways reminds me (distantly) of some of the Dunhill blends. It has richness to it, maybe from the addition of the Cavendish, but I'm not sure. It packs with ease, smokes cleanly and offers a solid English taste that any English lover would enjoy. BM is a little lower on the “N” scale than the Dunhill blends. It has a little complexity, but in the current world filled with more English blends than ever, it doesn't stand out for me. Will I buy more? Yes. Is it worth my daily rotation? No. Give it a try; it's worth a tin, especially with the reduced quality 965 that is now on the market. Recommended.

UPDATE: I was lucky enough to get my hands on a tin of the original BM from the late 60's/early 70's and it was just EXCELLECT! Although the flavor has changed with time, it offered a chance to get an idea of what the original blender intended. If the rare tin comes your way, GRAB IT!!!

Ecdycis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ecdycis (5)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a tobacco perfect for a hot summer evening. I enjoy it when I am going to smoke multiple bowls, especially when smoking food out in the back yard. The tin smell is of soured ketchup, but once lit the smell is that of grilled sweet corn. My buddy thinks it smells like model plane fuel (and he likes it lol,) I have no idea what he is talking about on this one. The flavor is very mild. It is a very cool, smooth smoking tobacco, and it is fairly simple in flavors. Virginias on the light, but after that it is just a mild mixture of everything but the latakia. The latakia only comes through in the mouth feel. It has a sweet, wheat like quality, and a slight tartness towards the end. I actually detect a slight burley character even though it is not listed in the ingredients. I find that I enjoyed it exponentially more the first week or so of smoking it but after that I started wanting something more. Still, I will have this on hand every summer.

BriarBurner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarBurner (29)

A good presentation of a mild-medium English.It combines 3 of my favorite tobacs..i.e.virginia, latakia & orientals.With the addition of Black Cavendish, along with the virginia, a sweetness is added to the taste.I find no individual tobac to dominate this blend but instead a rich & creamy well rounded taste with NO bite. If you have been wanting to rest those aromatics of yours for a while this is a good entry into English Blends.Time to go burn some briar.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

A real "Scottish" mixture, as it contains Cavendish - and a surprisingly mild, mellow, creamy, sweet and especially cool smoke. Absolutely no bite even if you abuse it. Haven't tried other Rattray (K&K) blends, but this one is much better than I originally thought. Tastes like incense, Latakia is prominent, Black Cavendish adds some roundness. Tolerable room note for a Latmix. I often prefer it over Dunhill's Nightcap (which is excellent but quite a bomb!) - but these two are completely different animals, anyway. Especially in N content, this mixture is way lower. I'm giving it 4 of 5 stars, absolutely nothing wrong with Black Mallory :)

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (26)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I smoked this straight out of the tin and it was rather wet, I had to relight it too much times, especially during the first third of the bowl. Taste is rather light, throughout the whole bowl. The first third is toasty and smokey but I sense a subtle but tangy flavouring coming out in the second third; maybe cavendish shows itself a little more. I do taste an overall Oriental flavour surrounding a good latakia background. Recommended mixture.

JasonDicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JasonDicker (22)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Best full-English blend (cavendish/latakia) I've ever smoked. Nice flavour, burns well. The closest blend to an aromatic I can enjoy.

brotherofbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brotherofbriar (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Ah, the mightily oceanic Black Mallory. In many ways this is the big brother to Red Rapparee. Whilst the later may be likened to a small pleasure boat out on an afternoons cruise, Black Mallory is a pirate ship bristling with guns, swash and buckle. The big difference between the two is of course the latakia. For my money, I can't even detect it in Red Rapparee (this may be because my palate had become jaded by one to many latakia bombs) but it's here in spades in Black Mallory. Dense white smoke, oily and heavy with tar. Leather notes too, yes, and certainly a saltiness that keeps one thinking of the sea. A perfect smoke for a foggy or rainy afternoon inside by the fireside with a cup of sweet tea or an Islay malt whiskey. Delicious with a decent dose of vitamin N. Avast! Sip this fine smoke like nectar, and dream of the oceans deep.

GSTQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GSTQ (31)

Appearance is a dark brown rough ribbon. Tin smells medium sweet, very light smoke, a bit musty. Tastes lightly sweet, dry, and lightly smoky.

Black Mallory is based on Red Rapparee, with the addition of more latakia. Rattray said "While it looks heavy, it pleases the eye, surprises the palate, and tastes fragrant and sweet". It does taste lightly sweet, but there are dry notes that take away from the sweetness. It almost rates a medium-to-strong for strength, like Red Rapparee. Black Mallory is of the same high quality, but I prefer Red Rapparee for its deeper and less dry smoke.

arclight Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arclight (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a good straight smoke. The ribbon cut makes it easy to pack. I did not notice an oyster taste...but I could smell it upon cleaning... The Latakia is very mild in the blend. This would be a good tobacco for people wanting to try a Latakia mix but are unsure about it. This is an excellent mixture, I recomend it with a strong ale. It burns down to a nice grey ash.

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I too found an oyster taste throughout my many bowls, a slight sea salt briny taste mixed with sweet and good deep all tobacco flavors but please don't let that deter you from at least trying this, its really quite tasty. Try this blend with hoegaarden beer.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Update2: Ok, I've learned to appreciate it. I've had a tin of this in the office for the last few weeks and have been smoking a bowl or two a day. It's actually pretty nice, a solid medium English/Scottish, no sweetness at all, just this background tinnitus like hum of seawater and a just a straightforward middling latakia hit. Worth a try if you want a no-nonsense English/Scottish. And despite my earlier reservations, there's a significant difference to the very mild 7 Reserve. I wouldn't rush and and restock on this, but that's only because there are so many similar mixtures out there to try.

Update: Immediately after writing this review just I went and smoked a bowl of BM. To be honest, maybe I'm being a bit harsh. There is flavour present, it's not that salty and it burns well.

Indistinguishable from 7 Reserve for me, looks, smells and tastes pretty much the same, which was disappointing as I was hoping for a bit more flavour/strength from this one. Strangely salty in the mouth, a bit like oysterized seawater, maybe it's just me. Comes in a 100g pot so I guess I might learn to love it, or at least appreciate it.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

This tobacco has beeen very well summarized. I will join the majority and highly recommend it.

Rattray's best offering!

BriarChild Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChild (11)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This blend is amazing. It always exceeds expectations. The Latakia and Cav work perfectly together. It has a wonderful smoky aroma to it that draws the mind back to the pub. Complex and brilliant in every respect. This is a tobacco for the ages!

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

A nice change of pace is what springs to mind, an English mixture with some Black Cavendish thrown in to subdue it.

A litttle air time and your ready to load, smokes without a bite down to a grey ash and all flavours playing nicely together.

Not as tasty as Red Rapparee, but worth the purchase of the odd tin here and there.

JoeWNC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeWNC (4)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This was the first English I tried. I generally stick with the Virginas but I love this one.

Someone else called this one refined and I would have to agree.

Everything about this one is great and if you are considering an English to try this one is a good start.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (68)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The latakia with the black cavenidish really goes well. The latakia is present but not overwhelming. The VA and Orientals also make it a very balenced blend with a beautiful aroma. This will be a regular amongst the Rattrays but as I got through the series, I am having a hard time determining what I like the most. Very good blends and all for different reasons, seasons, times and moods.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)

Well, I like this.

How to describe it? Its flavors are very light, but its texture feels rather more substantial. Another reviewer called it "luxurious," and that word may be apt. It's well-heeled, restrained, silky smooth, forgiving, obliging, and agreeable.

The Latakia is apparent in the tin, but is harder to detect once a match brings it to life. The Latakia quietly provides a round, full texture, but only in the background.

It's smooth, easy, and an agreeable companion. Other than a notable taste of citrus, no flavor cries out for attention. Leaves a sort of waxy aftertaste that, while odd, isn't off-putting.

I like it.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This was a wonderful English Blend in my estimate. It was so creamy with hints of smokeyness that come with Latakia. I also caught hints of citrus here and there. It was a bit wet coming out of the tin and a bit difficult to get lit. Once I got it up and running it stayed lit well. Very pleasant taste and aroma and little to no tongue bite. I was unable to rid my mouth of the taste for hours after, which is why it only gets 3 stars.

UPDATE I have Had more experience with it...and I love it! Four Stars.

DrRaoulDuke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrRaoulDuke (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this blend to be very mild, both in flavor and strength. The lite bodied cavendish is quite evident while the latakia component plays a small role. While it is smooth and it is somewhat creamy, there isn't enough flavor for me. If you like a mild english with a pinch of latakia, this might do it for you. I was surprised to find this listed here as medium to full.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This is a nice blend of quality tobaccos and anyone wanting a quality English that is mild in strength, voile'. Out of the tin I found it fairly wet, but I prefer dryer tobacco. I don't sense a topping, yet it has a neutrally sweet component that is probably the Cavendish, yet it is not a problem. I would enjoy a more Oriental presence. I found large-bowled pipes benefit this tobacco and the smoke itself. This tobacco burns as quick as a firecracker fuse, so a small bowl ends before any chance of any smoking rhythm. A large Billiard provided me with the best smoke of this blend. Like Briar Patch, I cut my teeth on Dunhill's and so it lacks in strength in comparison. I like nicotine and it is an integral part of my tobacco enjoyment. I miss my old blends. It's like a Ford man switching to a Chevy, it may not work out.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Hmmmm.... Not sure about this one. Problem I find with this blend is that it coats my tongue, leaving a dusty/waxy sensation.

The smoke is mild to medium, and relatively creamy to be fair. I can taste the orientals and latakia, and would call this a somewhat recommended middle of the road English.

Odd one for me... Maybe a bit of time is required to marry a better relationship of taste and flavours, and to rid me of that damn tongue issue!

VentiLator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VentiLator (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is my first english blend and i realy loved it :)

I came from cigarettes and always liked black tobaccos like Javaanse Jongens Sterke. This mixture however is extremely satisfying, nice natural aromes, awesome spicyness. i totaly like it.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

This blend is one of the greates Latakia blends I've tried. And it is the best English blend of Rattray's tobaccos.

The blend has a nice proportion of good tobaccos. The strength is fit to my taste, it does not overhelms and I don't seek for a richer smoke. My normal and slow puffing cadence makes a good, satisfying smoking with this blend.

Lights easily and it no need to effort for keeping it lit.

It has a delightful Latakia taste which remains on palate for hours after finishing the bowl. This is an elegant English mixture. Highly recommended.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

This may or may not be all that helpful. . . But this review is based on a 1991 tin -- so it has some age on it -- opened in May of 2009. (I was planning to cellar this longer, but the can started swelling, I wanted to try it before it burst open on its own.)

Because so much has already been posted here -- and I'm not sure my report has much bearing on what a fresh tin would taste like -- I'll just say that this is a well-made, medium-weight English with sturdy and spicy orientals and a dash of cavendish. Being a lover of English, oriental, and Balkan blends, I enjoyed it.

I must add, though, that it reminded me a bit of Margate, which I actually prefer somewhat. Although I rarely smoke English with cavendish added to it, if I'm going to do it I want it to be something special; there's something about Margate that really sets it apart for me. Black Mallory is good, but it never reaches that higher level of pleasure for me like Margate does consistently.

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Very round, creamy and smooth smoking experience. Spicy (cumin, wood, smoke, leather etc) aromas set on a sweet backdrop. As the smoking process proceeds, the tobacco becomes sweeter and acquires deeper, more complex tones. There is constantly an incense tone to this smoke which I am not sure whether it is produced by the neighboring of smokiness and sweetness in the tobaccos or if it means the presence of flavoring. In any case I find that quite disagreeable.

No bite but not too much strength either. I would have preferred less latakia in it which as it stands determine too much the bouquet in my view. Ideally use a meerschaum for this blend.

Sniper3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sniper3 (26)

The Mallory is a classic. I don't know about the "old" versions, only what's avaliable now. Seems more useful. This review is based on a fresh 100g tin, I've noticed some reviews are based on the "bulk" type, that may be different in moisture etc. So, this is on the TIN. God help the bulk version of anything once someone other than the blender gets their paws on it! To me this is a straight up English blend. I've let it air/dry out for a few hours as it seemed slightly too moist for me - might work for you as is? Anyway, with some drying it loads in the pipe easy. It lights easy. And Lordy be it stays lit. In my book if a tobacco cannot do that all else is meaningless. Flavor is straight up english. Nothing fancy. A Good Smoke! Ash is white and burns easy to the bottom of the bowl. Burns dry. I have found this to be a great tobacco when I'm tired of bite from other blends. I keep returning to the Mallory when I want something simple that stays lit is enjoyable to smoke. There are many many other goods blends out there. My experence with the Mallory is that it is a no nonsense English that you can actually smoke - few instructions required.

Silver Spigot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Spigot (18)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This is an outstanding blend, similar to Red Rapparee, a little sweeter, less tangy. Very smooth & creamy. Highly recommended.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Very good English Blend. Just the perfect amount of latakia for me (about 25% to 30% I guess). It smokes smooth and a little creamy, but not as much as 965 for instance. Cavendish is very moderate here, just as I can enjoy it... too much and it ruins a blend for my taste. This tobacco is all about balance and one of my favourites on the cold days.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)

This, for me, is what an English blend should be like.. An excellent interplay between virginia, latakia, and oriental.. not as much latakia as some of the balkans out there but enough to keep things interesting.. This is a balanced smoke all the way.. deffinately good for contmplative times.. more of an evening smoke than early in the day.. this is up in my top 5 latakia blends alongside the great squadron leader.

update.. I have had a hard time getting through the 100 grams I bought of this stuff about a year ago.. It is great stuff.. but for some reason I am finding it is not my thing. This is just a personal preference.. I am finding I like balkans a little more for latakia.. also it is a constant battle of drying and rehydrating.. which I haven't experienced with other tobaccos.. I have gone through about 100 grams of rattray's old gowrie in the same amount of time it took me to go through a quarter of this blend.

Sextants_Shepherd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sextants_Shepherd (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

A very nice English/Oriental blend.

Excellent taste, especially through the nose (which it won't easily burn). Peat, myrrh and wood - overall a well-balanced taste that obscures the individual ingredients.

Cool smoking and difficult to get hot. Right amount of dryness in the tin and the ribbon cut make it easy to keep lit.

Similar to original Frog Morton with a little less sweetness but about the same (maybe a bit more) body.

Similar to Westminster but has more incense and much more body. Also, the cut is more consistent and generally smaller.

I smoke mostly English/Orientals and try new blends all the time for the sake of variety. Haven't found anything better yet. I most frequently pack this loosely in a narrow bowl, sip, no tamp.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

Another decent one by Rattray. It strikes me as a little light on Orientals and makes a fine Latakia Delivery System. Very damp in the tin and very tightly wound long ribbons. My personal preference is to shorten them a bit, and dry them a lot. The Frank method works especially well for me in billiard/Canadian shapes, but takes well to a layered fill in bent bulldog/author shapes.

Pretty to look at, especially the Virginias' contrasting colors. Great tin aroma that smells just like...really nice tobacco.

A bit sharp at light up, but settles down quickly to a nice balance of spice, smoke and sweetness. No gurgle in four different briars and burns cleanly all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Harsh - Hagen has it right here I think. Very heavy cloying properties.

1 star for me. 2 stars for English fans, they seem to like it.

Much better English mixtures out there without that "brassy" taste I get here. I certainly won't pay $$ for this one - lucky I got to try it for free.

If you're into English mixes and hate aromatics - this might be your thing.

Ohterwise, try it only if you can get some for free ;)

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Strong

Half way through the tin and I love the stuff, top quality english, plenty of taste and sweetness, it's a classic. I'm reviewing it because I'm amazed more people haven't given it four stars. It should have five.

latakiahaze Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
latakiahaze (11)

This is a richly satisfying smoke for the latakia lover. Not being a huge fan of oriental tobacco's I personally prefer this to many of the so-called "English" blends. I bought a 100g tin. The tobacco is dark and oily looking with an earthy, woodsy aroma. There is no discernable topping to complicate proceedings. Black Mallory lights and burns easily to a dull light grey ash with no bitterness and zero tongue bite. Particularly delicious with a salty Islay malt whiskey, and just as good with an afternoon cup of tea. Probably a little too heavy for an all-day smoke but richly rewarding when the time is right.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

As with other reviewers this one reminded me of Dunhill 965! I am not really in love with English blends but this one is different like the Dunhill one and the Commonwealth of S. Gawith. Its has a light toping and the Cavendish makes it very easy to smoke! Worths a try!

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

simply put: i don't like it. it's not poor quality, perhaps, but having just smoked red rapparee, it's a huge disppointment. i can't imagine this being in any way the same ingredients as charles rattray used for his version. it's quite sweet, with a bit of oriental and latakia fighting for attention, and yet at the same time harsh. no real interplay between the virginia, latakia, turkish and cavendish.

how it could be seen as a strong tobacco by anyone is beyond my comprehension. was it perhaps the harshness of the concoction that did it?

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)

Surprised I haven't reviewed this one yet.....Black Mallory and Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture were my first two Latakia smokes, and I've smoked copious amounts of both. I shared a 100 gram tin of this with my Father recently and wondered why I don't smoke it more often. Well, it's hard to get in Austria, maybe that's why.

Anyway, on with the review. There isn't as much latakia as some blend I smoke nowadays, like, say, Margate or Balkan Flake, and certainly not as much as Pirate Kake or Commonwealth mixture. This is fairly sweet, owing, I think to the black cavendish and virginia, and pretty smoky, despite it's lack of massive Latakia content. I really enjoy the (I don't like this word) interplay between the turkish and cavendish, though I normally don't care much for black cav. (even unsweetened)

Having never smoked Red Rapparee, I can't compare the two. But, it's other companion, 7 reserve, is certainly several notches lower on the smoke-enjoyment scale. 7 reserve, while passable, is nothing to write home about. Black Mallory is something to keep on hand at all times. Another fine smoke from Rattray.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Another wonder from Rattray. A perfect all day smoke for those who find 7 Reserve Medium and the like way too mild. Sometimes this is my favorite English from Rattray, sometimes it's Red Rapparee. I find in BM more Latakia and less Orientals than in RR, with darker Virginias. This one also bites if smoked recklessly.

doc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
doc (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I found Rattray's Black Mallory to be a fine blend for those who like a Latakia blend, in moderation. Latakaniacs will most likely find this blend a bit lacking, but, for those who enjoy a slightly more medium to medium-strong English blend, and for we who occasionally shift from smoking predominantly Virginias and Virginia/Periques to English and Balkan blends, often in Autumn, and sometime crave a taste of the East, Black Mallory is a very nice mix, and has become one of those staples, along with Cornell & Diehl's Star of the East, (a stoved red Virginia, Turkish blend with 50% Cyprian Latakia), I keep in the back of the pantry for this purpose.

It is a little deceptive in presentation. Its Oriental bent is obvious upon opening the tin, but the bright browns with the black strands and the aroma from the tin seem to suggest a milder English than it actually is.

During the first bowl, the Cyprian Latakia seemed to strengthen through the bowl, but never overpowered. The second and third bowls revealed its character more homogeneously through the bowl as compared to the first. While the Orientals never overwhelm the Virginia, they subtly give it a fuller body, and certainly don't hide, offering a nice Eastern spice. The flavour notes don't quite resolve into a chord, rather giving it an interesting arpeggiated profile.

Although the flavours seem to keep their distinct notes, they are all in the same key, offering a nice complexity, and the blend is a full, smooth, interesting English smoke.

I found the fully rubbed out chopped and ribbon cut easy to pack, and smoked from the tin more easily than a lot of strong English blends; smooth with a light Virginia sweetness, though not at all cloying, and remained cool and dry throughout. Not having tried its sibling blend, Rattray's Red Rapparee, I can't offer any comparisons, but I enjoy the Mallory well enough to want to try the Rapparee. It does remind me of a slightly fuller, more English version of Sobranie Balkan, or a lighter C&D Star of the East.

All in all, a fine smoke for those times when one wants a stronger flavour that doesn't force itself upon one, but will still make itself known, now and again. Very nice for a rainy afternoon with a book or enjoying the remains of the day on the veranda, and a great 'early in the day' pipe for the confirmed Latakia lover.

I quite like the blend, and intend to put some away. I have a feeling that allowing the Virginia to age a bit will add a new note to the mix, and I'd be interested to see if the blend marries more fully, to resolve the flavour notes. I feel Rattrays Black Mallory could be an even smoother, full bodied medium-strong English with, possibly, a finer character after aging a year or three.

ken_mays Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ken_mays (8)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Black Mallory is a good Latakia blend for smokers who like the idea of enjoying Latakia but find many traditional blends (965, I'm looking at you here) just too overbearing.

The intensity of the flavor is pretty comparable to Frog Morton, in my opinion. But the Virginia adds a savory, sweet dimension that offsets the smokier Orientals quite well.

My tin is several years old and has dried out almost too much, but burns better than ever. Drying it out makes all the difference.

It's a great choice for a mostly Virginia smoker who occasionally wants a taste of something more English. I suppose you could consider it a "gateway" blend for learning to enjoy the classic English stuff.

What a pipeful of pleasure this one was! Very different from the other Latakia blends I have tried. More spicey, smoother, and less smokey. The aroma from this blend has an incense like quality to me.

The cavendish is apparently toasted, and is scrumptious, without being cloyingly sweet. Although this is a fairly potent blend, I find it to be very relaxing and completely satisfying. It is a little heavy for the warm weather months, but it is pure heaven when the weather turns cool.

This is the third blend from Rattray I have tried, and the quality is impeccable. A fine tobacco.

I genuinely enjoyed this blend!It has a wonderful sweeteness to it that really has to be experienced to be appreciated.This is one of the mildest English/Scottish offerings I have ever had.The flavor ,strength,and overall quality of the blend llies somewhere between C&D's "Black Duck" and Dunhill's"Aperitif".This is a solid choice for the Balkan/English afficianado looking for a special treat.The black cavendish lends a sweet note to a rather "sour" and full English.I would recommend this to any one looking for something truly different. 3.5 0f 4 stars. P.S. The room note is actually rather pleasant and might even win you favor with the fairer sex! ############################## Update 9/14/06 Another Bomb by Kohlhase and Kopp!

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Smoky, Dark, Sharp blend. Not a real fan, Its quality-just not for me.

RebelPipesterII Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RebelPipesterII (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

After a three year hiatus from reviews I return with some notes on this blend. I had forgotten my login info from my previous profile "RebelPipester" and I no longer had the registered e-mail account, so if you want to see my tastes of three years ago please check out that profile.

With that said the tin I own is probably four years old. When I opened it four years ago I was not really impressed with this blend so I put it away to age some. I recently "reconstituted" the blend using deionized water and wish I had read the reviews prior to doing this. Needless to say I'm still not impressed.

I began by smoking this like I would any English/Latakia blend and found a fair amount of tongue bite. In addition, I am in agreement with most of the reviews here, mostly with the two stars or less ratings. I don?t even get a nicotine rush from this blend like I would from most Dunhill blends.

What prompted me to write this is a comment made in comparison to Dunhill?s Standard Medium. This blend isn?t close to the same league as Standard Medium. Black Mallory is harsh, unrefined, dare I say one-dimensional as compared to any Dunhill blend. Heck even Dunhill?s Standard Mild has more punch and MUCH better smoking qualities.

With that said, after reading the other reviews of this blend I can find this tolerable if I take my time to smoke it SLOWLY, I?m in my early 30s (always on the go) and unfortunately usually do not have the time to doctor a pipe as much as this blend requires.

To wrap this up, there are so many quality English/Latakia blends out there it is just a waste of time to buy this blend. If I?m going to offend the olfactory senses of the non-smoking public I?d rather do it with a Dunhill (Standard Series Blends), McCranie?s (Old Syrian), Samuel Gawith (Perfection or Squadron Leader), Cornell & Diehl or McClelland (25th Anniversary or Frog Morton Series) blend.

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Rattray's Black Mallory is not an English blend as others have noted in their reviews. This is predominately a Virginia weed and that is what most strongly comes forward. There is a slight creaminess that I like, but the Virginia is harsh and the nicotine level stronger than one would imagine. I understand why others like Black Mallory and lovers of Virginia weeds will probably appreciate it. Going into this expecting an English blend disappointed me and I will not be purchasing it again. The smell in the tin, the raw tobacco, is fantastic, but the overall smoking qualities leave a lot to be desired.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

For me, this blend is about as mild a blend as you can smoke and still experience the "English" or "Scottish" blend flavor. This blend does not give me the latakia smokiness in the nose. Instead it provides a mellow, almost sweet latakia flavor on the tongue. This blend has no bite or edge as you might experience with a young Red Rapparee. I also do not detect any orientals other than latakia. I am guessing, but I make this blend out as consisting of mild Virginia, unsweetened cavendish and a type of smooth latakia. This blend does not offer "big" flavor, but it is memorable as a very friendly English. This could be an all day blend for the English lover or a dandy choice for someone looking to try such a blend for the first time. Those who require strong latakia in their English may be disappointed. I like it. Recommended. Paddy.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a blend that I really have to be in the mood for to appreciate. The full character of Rattray's treatment of the Virginia leaf is the sweet and commanding theme of this dark leaf mxiture. Cyprian leaf and Orientals provide support and added strength for a smoke that must be a participant event to be fully enjoyed. This is an English blend for the experienced smoker that can have quite a bite if not smoked slowly. Age brings a smoother character to this so letting it sit in the cellar might not be a bad thing.

Meerschaum Man Smoking an Altinok Smooth Canadian

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

I have always preferred Black Mallory over Standard Mixture and My Mixture, both of which I rate highly and enjoy. It is similar, yet provides a more piquant experience. If the Dunhill blends are sec Black Mallory is brut.

Is this named after the mountaineer?

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

Said by Rattray's to be similar in composition to RR. I find this one to be fuller, sweeter, and smoother than RR. Some have mentioned a cavendish component. I am not able to accurately identify some tobaccos by sight, but suspect this has a sweetened cavendish element to it. It has an underlying sweetness to me that just seems to be too much to be natural. I have no problems with packing or burning qualities in fairly large bowls, and the room note is excellent for an English style tobacco. I continue to smoke RR for it's added "edginess", but I smoke this one quite a bit too. Highly recommended for English style smokers.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This rich and complex blend is my standby. It is without peer. It has an exotic, rich taste and a heavy smoke. This is a perfect example of a Scottish mixture (sweeter and heavier than an English, not so heavy and strong as a Balkan). The Virginias Latakia and Orientals come together with great style and flavor. The black cavendish (what makes it Scottish rather than an English or Balkan) gives it a hint of sweetness that gels the whole blend. This blend is of Edwardian opulence. I always keep at least 10 tins in my cellar just in case of a pinch in oriental supply or (horror) the brand should go like so many before it. If you have never tried Black Mallory you have never lived.

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Ahhh...the Black Mallory. First smoked this in 1971. Love it then, love it now. The descriptions preceeding me are accurate as to the tobaccos present, but this is a must try for everyone. To me, its one of the great blends. Dont smoke it all day, but in the evening with a pint, or a dram ..ahhh, true enjoyment.

Revised 05-17-2005

This is a high quality English/Balkan blended from Rattray's that really didn't do much for me at first, but after trying several aged 50g. tins, I have been pleasantly surprised. Upon opening the tin you are greeted by mostly dark medium-cut ribbon leaf. The tin aroma is mostly Cyprian latakia with the Orientals close behind and the Virginia way in the background. The quality of the leaf is apparent, packing and lighting are easy. Flavor is medium to full English all the way down the bowl with some sweetness from the VA popping in and out. I have to say, that the flavor seems much better from the 50g. tins than fromm the 100g. tins. Why that is, I don't know, but after smoking several pounds of this blend, I only buy the 50g. tins now. Definitely in the top 10 of English blends.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The thing I love about Rattray's RED RAPPAREE is precisely its lack of smug Dunhillian smoothness, its fieriness, its peaty drama, its dour highlander theatricality. Wonderful to smoke while you guzzle your dad's expensive single-malt. (Glorious old memory!)

Black Mallory is much more "English" in its demeanor nobly bland. It's a lovely old English smoke alright, but I find it kind of staid. One might as well be smoking Dunhill Standard Medium, you know?

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I find this to be a very pleasant English smoke. As others have stated I find it to be a much more refined version of RR. I like the proportion of latakia that is used in this blend and its' slow steady burning qualities. The flavor runs consisitent the length of the smoke with a slight noticable increase in strength in the latter half. What I do miss that RR seems to satisfy for me is an "edginess" in taste. It is not so smooth as to be boring, rather, for myself it is almost a zoning out effect. Sort of, "Well isn't that nice," type of experience. Overall a nice smoke that I will turn to once in a while.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Medium Mild Full Tolerable

I am new in the English department. I love Presbyterian, Highland Targe and my Mixture 965. Black Mallory, though, is far more interesting than the former ones.

The mixture is dominated by black leaf. Judging from the smell, I think there is quite alot unsweetened Cavendish in it, The Latakia is not very present. When lit the Latakia comes to its right; very robust.

All components in BM are so well balanced, that I have not seen or tried anything like it before. BM is friendly to the palate, nose, friends, wives etc., and people around me are asking: "what is this lovely tobacco you are smoking, Jakob"

I am normally not a Latakia-man, but BM has made me want to try other Latakia/Oriental-blends. I have stashed several tins, and now I am off to discover the famous Nightcap.

Outstanding!

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

Black Mallory is particularly moist and will survive in a glass jar without humidification for a very long time.

The tin I am reviewing has been smoked and reviewed for about a year. The burning and taste qualities have changed substantially over that time. My tin has gone from fairly hot, edgy and acrid to a well-behaved, smooth blend.

This is a nicely balanced mixture. It appeals to me when Oriental and Latakia flavors are craved in the context of mild, stoved Virginia leaf (Cavendish and possibly cased lightly).

This is sweeter than Red Rapparee and less biting. One bowl of RR does my tongue in for the day. Black Mallory also seems to be a bit more Latakia forward, whereas RR puts the Orientals to the bow.

It vaguely resembles 965, but with lower notes and deeper flavors. Pack the first two layers in your pipe a little loose, lest this compact and render gentle puffing fruitless. Puff hard for a sore tongue.

Rattray, as a line, seems to use the best leaf available with admirable skill.

memlapse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
memlapse (10)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Let me preface by saying I'm a latakia freak. I eat Penzance and Old Ironsides right out of the can. Can one have too much latakia in their diet? This blend is dominated by it, but not overwhelmed. When I need a break from my normal intake of that smokey goodness, I will hit my VA flakes and work my way back into my normal intake of latakia. This blend is ideal for that second to last step towards my usual balkan and krumble cake diet.

I enjoy that little hint of spice all the way through and the toasted cavendish works well with the turkish leaf. It's a quality blend that merits a try. As mentioned before, it is more refined than RR. I prefer BM over RR simply because of the latakia content (go figure).

DeltaSnake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeltaSnake (31)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This used to be one of my staples in a 30 year smoking life. It's essentially a medium English, but with that distintive spice that the virginia Rattray uses. Some might find that spice, tang, or whatever not to their taste, and like some of the reviewers have noted, it can be a bit too "steamy" out of a fresh can. I still smoke it once in a while, but gravitated towards heavier perique blends, but anyone who likes English mixes should try this one at least once.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I must agree with Rocket's assertion above, "the only kinship to Red Rapparee is that they both happen to be Englishes". (And they are both blended by Kohlhaase & Kopp.) Black Mallory is no Red Rapparee. I prefer Red Rapparee by a fair degree. Black Mallory is well-behaved, indeed to a fault. By contrast, RR has a virginia tanginess that has gone missing in BM.

This being said, BM is a good medium English smoke. If I had to smoke one or the other all day, it would clearly be BM. However, I generally only smoke Englishes towards the end of the day, and prefer one with more latakia punch than Black Mallory provides. (Gee, maybe I have a latakia dependency problem...) I will still keep some BM around, however, for a change of pace. So many Englishes, so little time...

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Thus far, I have been impressed with the quality and smokeability of the blends chosen for review by the Royal Society. I haven't disliked a single choice, and I find that this month's selection is no exception. This is an excellent, flavorful, sweet English-style tobacco with a decent amount of Latakia. The smoke is satisfying without being overly heavy or full, and the burning properties are very good. On opening the tin, I perceive a sweet, slightly sharp aroma, balanced by the leathery note of a medium Latakia blend. The sweetness comes across as natural rather than artificially added, and I can detect no topping or casing. In appearance, the blend is approximately 1/2 black, with the remaining leaf a varied mixture of dark, medium, and light browns that is fairly attractive in appearance. The cut is medium in length, with a few unrubbed flakes mixed in here and there. The moisture level is mainly on the low side, very similar to that of GL Pease tobaccos. Packing is easy and the tobacco takes fire readily, burning to a very fine, clean white ash. Through the bowl, an average number of relights are needed. I first sampled this blend in a large Stanwell Kingsway apple. In the first third of the bowl, the taste is as varied as the aroma. There is a nice, mild sweetness that mixes well with the Latakia and other tobacco notes; no one flavor is dominant. The complexity is decent, not outstanding but far from boring. This is a fairly full smoke, medium in darkness and richness with just the slightest hint of spice. There is some bite at the start, nothing major but enough to require a certain cautiousness on the part of the smoker. I find I am especially susceptible to this, since I want to smoke quickly and get more of the excellent flavor onto my palate. In the second 1/3, the flavor is still sweet and good. There is some increased complexity, and the smoke remains a bit on the full, rich side. There is increased maturity, with the sweetness not quite as "brittle", and I find this part more enjoyable than the first. The early bite appears to have vanished, and there have thus far been no moisture problems. In the final third of the bowl, there is somewhat less sweetness present, making the leathery Latakia darker and more obvious. The spice note is also slightly stronger, and the overall complexity has continued to increase and mature. The "sour" note that I find often present in high-quality Latakia blends has just shown itself, and provides a good ending to a very nice bowl of tobacco. The smoke remains bite-free, though there are some minor moisture problems at this point. A single pipe cleaner takes care of these, however, and the bottom of the bowl burns clean and dry. Overall, I found this an excellent medium Latakia/English mixture. After my third bowl of this, I placed an order for another two tins. I would rate this as less full than Raven's Wing or Penzance, and not quite as sweet as Frog Morton. It is a decently complex, high-quality blend that I find best as an all-day or hot weather smoke. If you enjoy English tobaccos, by all means try out this one!

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I am something of a lover of english type blends, and I purchased this because it was spoken well of by other lovers of english blends that I have met. In most respects it is a good solid english type tobacco. It has a fair amount of Latakia, a good rich taste, and burns fairly easily. However, it does have one drawback. It seems that no matter how slowly or carefully I smoke it, there is always a noticeable amount of steam in the smoke. This has happened at almost all levels of moisture, until I dried some out completely, and then slowly remosturized it myself over a period of a few weeks. Now, I don't mind fiddling with a tobacco this much, but some folks would be put off by it. However, I seem to be in the minority when it comes to the steam flavor of the blend, as most people I ask about it have never noticed it. Other than that drawback, and an occasional bowl of it refusing to stay lit no matter how carefully it is packed, I enjoy it, and will probably buy more of it in the future, though I don't rush out to buy more whenever a tin gets half empty, like I do with some english type blends.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (23)

Delicious accompaniment to Red Rapparee.

Nuff said really. I found RR to be the heavyweight, but BM fills in a lot of the missing notes of the tobacco " Chord." The Latakia seems "to know it's place " ....... by the tobacco blenders' skill and art.

Pipe Used: Many and various

Age When Smoked: From tin.

Purchased From: Greens of Leeds ( UK)

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

This one has been on my list to try for a while but never really got round to getting a tin. However, after running out of ideas for what latakia blend to have with my morning coffee, I finally took the plunge and treated myself to a tin.

The tin note is one of latakia with a good waft of sweetness, an inviting one that went nicely with the largely dark ribbons speckled with a few lighter brown tones. Packing and lighting are easy enough. The smoke though, I found a little bit of a let down, there is a nice sweetness to it, perhaps with hints of something citrus, and the latakia is not overpowering. A very nice flavour but it all too quickly descends into a roughness that detracts from the overall experience. There's no tonguebite but it does start to develop a bit of a hacky taste the further on the smoke goes.

In summary, a good smoke let down by a certain roughness. That flavour is so nice but I really have a job getting a full smoke of it and nothing else. i will probably try another tin of this sometime in the future just to verify my findings but in the meantime, two stars will have to do.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney 65

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

Cochon74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cochon74 (21)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I have to say, I love latakia blends, but this one just did not do it for me. The only thing I can chalk it up to is the Black Cavendish. I started pipe smoking on a strict diet of Latakia, Virginias, Orientals, Burley and Perique. My English experiences have all been Lat/VA/Oriental -only. The addition of Cavendish to this blend must be what turned me off.

Out of the tin, it smells wonderful - full, smoky, promises of a wonderful smoke. IT packed well, lit well and smoked nicely. A well-behaved tobacco, to be sure.

However, I just found the flavor "cheapened" somehow by the Cavendish. The latakia was punchy and present, the Orientals (while subtler than to my liking) were also present. I didn't get much from the VA's and the Cavendish somehow brought everything down by rearing it's mundane, indistinct head.

I wanted to like this tobacco and smoked the entire 2oz tin. It improved slightly the longer the tin was open, but honestly, I was disappointed.

I'd heard so much about Rattray's and BM in particular... and it obviously has a following, judging by the reviews. But I won't be revisiting it anytime soon... unremarkable and certainly not as well-made as Gawith, Pease or Esoterica offerings of this type.

Updated 2/6/2012- I've had this cellared away for about 6 months as my initial try with this blend encountered some hot spice ??? . I don't want to sound too negative ,but ....., this blend doesn't bring anything, typical muting of flavors with the Cavendish tobacco additions. It packs well and burns well and I don't detect any major bite , but it just says" BLAH". It is light on all components, it's not heavy Latakia, I can't really taste the Orientals and it's not real sweet ( as a matter of fact I detect some bitterness), Red Rap is much more interesting. You want something for mindless smoking while in the garden ? well you could burn this stuff.

I totally agree with reviewer above ," COCHON74 01/18/2012"

Updated 7/16/12- Another few months in the cellar and more drying and this has improved slightly. This is still spicy and could bite if smoked all day. To me there are some similarites to McC, Ringlow Syrian Reserve, only this is not as smooth. both I find salty and sour without much sweetness.

8/3/12 A few more weeks of this breathing and it has gained in flavor and smoothness , 3 stars.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had not intended to review this blend at this time. But, after visiting friends and returning, I found a tin of this blend in my smoking supplies box when unpacking. I had not put it in there, but there it was, so I owe my friends a tin of tobacco. They shall get it.

Meanwhile, I got this one. Nose in tin: Latakia and VA, with BC notes in the background. Ribbon cut good for small and medium bowls. Accordingly, packing and lighting is easy.

Once lit, the Black Cavendish takes a few moments to assert itself over the Latakia, but once it does, the taste is creamy-smooth, the room note is quite a bit better than what I usually expect from anything containing Latakia, and after all is smoked and puffed, there remains nothing but an even grey ash.

Cleaning the pipe afterwards is remarkably easy, with extremely little condensation to be cleared out. Overall, good tobacco.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

Open the top on Mr. Rattray's Black Mallory, and get the typical aromas of a nice, mellow English blend. Similar to Red Rapparee in aroma but more mellow, more smooth. The creosote smell of the Latakia is softer, sort of like a cold campfire the day after the camping is done. Smoke and fresh leather, sweet and tangy notes compete for attention. Warm, soft and clean. Interesting scent of old pennies and savory blackened meats.

Beautiful, dark blend. Ribbon cut tobaccos pack easy, light easy.

Smooth, creamy (almost oily), mellow smoke. Light Latakia on the palate, Orientals assert themselves throughout the bowl. Leather and dusty notes wrap around the sweetness of the Virginia. That old penny scent is translated to the flavor as well.

Overall - subtle and elegant, flavorful and refined, sweet and savory, rich, old leather and beach bonfires in the salty sea air. I still prefer Red Rapparee myself, but Black Mallory is a very fine, rich, sophisticated smoke. This one has to go on the favorite list too.

Definitely worth a try - JRCigars online has Rattray 100gm tins for $10.95 before tax & shipping.

gandalf7531 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gandalf7531 (8)

This is the tobacco that helped increase my understanding of the different types of leaf in a blend. I found that in Black Mallory, the Virginians and Orientals take the center stage, with Latakia playing a supporting role and the Black Cav. barely noticeable.

I wouldn't call this a Full English; not enough Latakia for that, but rather a milder Medium blend. As far as the smoking of Black Mallory goes, it's very smooth and you can tell the sweetness of the Orientals, as they really tame the Virginians in this mix. The spice of the Latikia is present, but isn't overwhelming in any way.

The smoke is a bit thinner than I like, and doesn't have the creaminess that I enjoy with a fuller Latakia blend. However, this is a personal preference only. The smoke is enjoyable and I found the sweetness of the Orientals really plays out well. In fact, the oddity of the Orientals (in that this is my first mixture that had them) threw me off for a few bowls. I couldn't tell what it was that I was smoking at first.

I think this is a blend for those who would like to experience what an English mixture is. It seems a bit more on the Oriental side than the Latakia, and produces a smooth, sweet smoke with a hint of spice.

I've found through smoking this and other mixtures that I enjoy LOTS of Latakia and that Orientals tame the smoke down too much for me. It's still a great blend for smoking, despite my personal preference. I'd recommend others give it a try. It certainly has a large following and a great reputation.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Red Rapparee & Black Mallory.

As a change of pace from my usual tobacco diet - which is almost non-Latakian - I'm working through RR & BM at the same time.

I'm old enough to have met both of them say twenty years ago, at the beginning of the sunset of the UK made brands (BSOM, BS759 and BSVa10 passing from tins to pouches), and they were absolutely top EM's.

My current tins have been waiting me unsealed almost one whole year. The inner discs are still semi-wet, but tobaccos have just dried out the heck of their exaggerate moisture (the heaven knows how much PG they put in…).

Anyway, they stuffed fine into a couple of Dunhill's group 5 bents and have to say they light & burn very easily.

They are brothers, out of any doubt.

RR is offering a supremely smooth-like-silk smoke, sweet & spicy & biscuity. The Orientals take the main seat, perfectly accomplished by the Virginias (light & red). Just a trace of Latakia in the very background, and some almost-non-flavoured Black Cavendish to round off the edges. Strength is medium, body a bit over that. Intriguing and savoury, I may completely understand the smoker who chooses RR as his all-day smoke.

Where RR is more Oriental forward, BM is more on the Latakia instead. A drier but still sweet blend, darker, mustier and stronger than RR. More on the interplay between Virginias and Latakia. Again, the Black Cavendish does its job. The room note is of course less acceptable by the wife… In my memory BM used to be a truly fuller EM than nowadays.

The brothers are pleasant and satisfactory, that's for sure. What retains me from giving 4* is the PG soaking treatment, which causes the smoke being a bit aggressive to my palate.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

My sample of Black Mallory was packed tight into a tin estimated at 3-5 years old. The contents uniformly black, with scattered dark brown leaf, the smell pungent with deep smokey notes. Not particularly moist but far from dry, the upper layer of tobacco showed whitish tinged ribbon leaf, a clear mark of aging. The texture of the ribbon was standard, not too stringy, nor a rough cut. It packed well into the couple of pipes I smoked with the blend, a medium sized Stanwell and a larger Peterson. I packed the tobacco tight, in all instances, as I prefer a restrained draw. There were no problems with moisture or wetness, even as I tamped regularly.

Some have noted a subdued Latakia element in Black Mallory, while I found the leaf to be in the front at all times. I'm not accustomed to Cavendish in an English mixture, but I did note a creaminess similar to that of 965, which also contains the leaf (Black Mallory contains the black variety, while 965 Cavendish is brown. There is no mention whether the Cavendish is Burley or Virginia based, or whether sweeteners have been added in either instance). There is a slight nuttiness here, perhaps owing to the Burley based Cavendish. It works, and adds a nice depth to the sweetness of the Virginias. I've stated before my inability to single out the Turkish/Oriental leaf, and I will say the same here.

This is a full mixture, beyond that of something like Westminster yet more restrained than Nightcap. I found myself smoking back to back bowls of Westminster and Black Mallory in an attempt at comparison, and found that I favored Black Mallory in complexity and strength.

I had no problems with relights, as an aggressive smoker who likes to tamp frequently. The burn rate was exceptional.

Black Mallory finishes strong, building toward the end of the bowl and imparting a strong taste on the palate. I wouldn't suggest smoking this in the company of others, as it can be overwhelming to the senses. To those who enjoy strong, full English mixtures, I believe you will find Black Mallory an exceptional blend, one in which the Cavendish provides a unique element to the standard English. I plan to keep this in my rotation, and confess to almost smoking this religiously upon cracking the tin. I can picture a daily rotation of FVF, Black Mallory, and University Flake.

Recommended.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

UPDATED 3/4/12 I opened a 4 oz tin that has aged a couple of years and gave old Black Mallory another try. Bottom line: I think it is a great cross-over blend for aeromatic smokers who want to venture into English territory, and a good change-of-pace for those English smokers in search of something sweet that doesn't veer too far off course from familiar territory.

Don't let the tin language about "dark" and "full-bodied" throw you off. Yes, there's a good portion of Latakia here, but it is significantly mellowed by the Cavendish. It's a very approachable and fairly mellow blend considering the ingredients . . . smoky-sweet and easy on the tongue, even when you get aggressive with your cadence.

You may consider this a light aero. The Orientals and the Viriginias are somewhat obscured by the casing, which is sweet. Still, it is a pleasant if not complex smoke -- a nice cordial after a meal. It goes well with a glass of bourbon and provides a complementary dash of "Sweet Vermouth" when so paired.

Some compare BM to 965 or Westminster. To me, all three are leagues apart. My Mixture 965 contains Cavendish, but that's where the similarity ends. Westminster is like London Mixture with more punch -- which itself is Oriental forward and contains no Cavendish.

I'm raising my initial review by a star, because I am in a good mood and BM is well-behaved. I don't own a Peterson System pipe, but this would be an ideal blend for it because it can condensate.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

It is pretty obvious from reading the reviews here that either people have really, really different palates (quite possible) or this blend has changed its character of the past few years (another VERY likely possibility). This review is of a the bulk blend.

Is it an English tobacco? I think so - it tastes only of Virginias, Latakia and maybe some Orientals. I cannot detect much in the way of casings - MAYBE there is a smidgen of Cavendish in this, but it's merely a pinch. The Latakia is used sparingly, but is definitely there.

Is it a "full' English? No. Its a mild-tasting blend. You actually can taste food after smoking this tobacco. The Virginias seem more predominant than in a typical English-style perhaps. It reminds me a little bit of GLP Blackpoint - only without the Perique, sweeter and with more nicotine.

This could be good morning smoke or even an all-day English for some. I would second the opinion here that BM would also be appropriate for aromatic smokers moving to English since it does have SLIGHT sweetness to it.

It won't have you waning on about its complexity but BM is well blended, tasty, easy to smoke without biting and won't dominate your taste buds for the rest of the day/evening with the lingering flavor of Latakia.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)

Well, after reading glowing reviews here, especially by such respected reviewers giving it such high marks, I finally tried this very popular blend. Although I can't say that there was anything bad about BM, I was just a bit disappointed. What really turns me on is a really rich tasting baccy that gives me a little nico' zing and holds my attention throughout the bowl with interesting flavors. I guess my expectations were running in high gear and I expected too much.

My first experience was that I tried it the first time right out of the bag; big mistake. Although it felt about right - way too much moisture. Could not keep it lit beyond the first half of the bowl and after a lot of tamping to keep it going, it finally turned into a hard gob that I had to toss out. Spread it out and let it dry overnight until I thought it was just too dry but tried it anyhow and it packed and lit well and burned OK.

BM turned out to be, against my expectations, A little ho-hum. It came on with only mild to medium strength, flavoring was only mild, and the room note was unspectacular also. In it's favor, this baccy does not burn hot, I experienced NO tendency to bite, and it went to the bottom of the bowl without a whimper, mostly tasting like it started. The balance between Virginia and Latakia was perfect and the taste (for a mild tobacco) was as well balanced as I could expect for a very English blend. I cannot fault it and will happily finish what is on hand and probably order more when it is gone. I just can't put it on my favorites list (yet).

I have a feeling that some of my slight disappointment may be in the batch that I received. Against the descriptions I have seen here, the blend was not very dark and there was not even a hint of visual oiliness. I have come to recognize an appreciation of strength and richness for blends expressed by guys like pipestud and It occurs to me that I may have had a somewhat weakened blend. I will certainly be accountable for a revision of this review if another batch presents itself differently.

JazzSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JazzSmoke (37)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Like all the K & K Rattray's this is very moist in the tin and needs drying. What do they add to these blends ? Maybe just water as it dries quickly. It's very rich, smokey with an overall sweetness. Like most Rattray's it's very hot unless dried and smoked gently. However, I can say that about most tobaccos. This is a rich after dinner tobacco for me. Dunhill's Aperitif is similar to but much smoother with less bite, and tastes like a more natural tobacco. Update: 2007-Nov

I've just finished another 50g tin of this blend, much of it smoked quite dry. Without the heat from excess moisture this tobacco has been so complex, layered and flavorful that I have purchased a few more tins. The virginia tobacco and the black cavendish gives this a dark sweetness. Balanced against this, however, the orientals are sharp. I could never smoke this every night.

I'm sure it's different than the original but we are fortunate that someone is still blending this classic. Unique!

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

Black Mallory! I've smoked the bulk version only, so I suspect it's different than the tin version, but anyhow, I shall review all the same.

Black Mallory sure wears its name good: it's very black! Not much golden or brown leaves in there. Strong smell of Latakia, as a matter of fact, pretty much the only smell I could detect. Almost addictive... Nice long cut with some short cut leaves.

Filling is easy, lighting takes a bit but when it's started, it's all latakia, strong, robust, with a wooden -leather sort of touch.

As this was my first venture in the full english ( I'd say, this was about 12 years ago, lads), I made sure to be able to keep up by fixing myself some martinis. It worked, the smoke mellowed down after a while.

Strong tasting 'till the end, leaves a nice gray, dry ash. I bought a couple more pouches after but never really came back to it on a regular basis. i wouldn't recommend it as a morning smoke...

But still, a nice bakkie, when you want a real kick!

jmartindale Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jmartindale (22)

I concur with the esteemed Lochinvar, below. This is a very high-quality, classic Scottish blend with perhaps equal amounts of unsweetened Black Canvendish and Latakia against a solid Turkish component. There's a beautiful sweetness to the smoke that darts in and out - very nice.

Like most of Rattray's offerings, this blend is unique and pleasing. It reminds me of a stronger Highland Targe (yet another great Rattray mixture).

It may just be me, but the tin nose of the "English" genre of Rattray blends has a consistent signature smell, not unlike the way McClelland's tins do. While McClelland's tins smell something like ketchup (or whatever), Rattray tins smell like some kind of Malt to me. I wonder if you smell the same thing?

Either way, Rattray blends are subtle and they pack and burn wonderfully right out of the can. But please, don't smoke Rattray's "English" blends if you are looking for a Latakia "knock out", because that's not the point here. Not at all. The point is balance and quality - two attributes sorely missing from a lot of contemporary English blends out there.

Use a little patience and time with this and other Rattray's blends - there's a lot to learn from them.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Everyone says great things of this blend: after enjoying Red Rapparee, the idea of a darker and fuller variation on it was very intriguing. What I found is a competent, tasty and well-behaved english mxture! I really can't find particular faults to list about it: it packs well, burns well, and gives a satisfactory smoke deep in woodsy notes. As such, it fully deserves a high rating! Anyway, I won't buy it again. Why? Simply put, it offers nothing that I can't find in other blends: maybe I have been spoiled by Greg Pease and by Dunhill's London Mixture, but I find that Black Mallory lacks that extra touch that makes a good tobacco great. If you want a traditional full english mixture, though, you can't go wrong with this offering by Rattray.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)

There are many fine English blends out there. To my taste this just isn't one of them. The flavor is medium latakia with little else to offer. It is flat, one dimensional, to my taste. It is not a bad blend so please don't misunderstand me. I'm just saying that there are so many English blends that I like that there just isn't any reason for me to want to smoke this one. The balance of Red Rapparree has been lost and the latakia dominates to the degree of being boring. Compare this to the variety of tastes in a blend like GLP Rennaisance or Dunhill London Mixture and Black Mallory is no match (excuse the pun).