Rattray's Winter Edition 2014 100g

Taste
Pappyjoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pappyjoe (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Rattray’s Winter Edition 2014 is what shows up in the mail when you order something online without making sure you read the fine print. I thought I was ordering the Winter Edition of 2015 but got a 100g tin of 2014 instead.

The first interesting thing I found was that absolutely no one has apparently smoked this stuff before. When I checked on tobaccoreviews.com it has the following information but no reviews.

However, label on the bottom of the tin reads: Several Virginia tobaccos – Black Cavendish – Broken Virginia. The tobacco is packed into a cello pouch in the tin.

The tobacco is dry and the tin aroma while pleasant isn’t overly strong. I do pick up the sweetness, a hint of nuttiness and fruitiness – almost a mixture of different berries or else a very subtle cherry. The website I ordered it from said it had a Caramel and Almond flavor but my nose just doesn’t pick up those flavors. I’m thinking the dryness and the subtle aroma may be a product of the tobacco being the 2014 blend so it has aged in the tin.

Having smoked 6 bowls so far in 4 different pipes, I find it a good smoke in briar, meerschaum or cob. It packs well, lights easily and burns evenly all the way to the bottom of the bowl. There is some pepper noticed on retro, but otherwise it seems to be a smooth, creamy smoke. I first noticed the sweetness and the fruit/berry but as I smoke the almond flavors become more noticeable. One of my sons and his wife (both are Chefs) say the aroma is more like a vanilla ice cream with a warm caramel topping.

I have not had a problem with bite from this tobacco yet even though I’ve smoked it while drinking black coffee, tea, beer and rum.

Those are my impressions of Rattray’s Winter Edition 2014. Your experience may differ.

Pipe Used: Briar, Meerschaum and Cobs

Age When Smoked: over 1 year

Similar Blends: I find it vaguely similar to Peterson's Holiday Season 2014.