Notes: Hearth & Home Mid-Town Series Prince Andrew is a rich, but mellow, Burley blend with a mildly-sweet flavor with notes of cocoa and nuts. It's a pleasant, all-day type of tobacco that's cool and bite-free. Perhaps, best of all, it's very affordable.

BrandHearth & Home
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (92)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Prince Albert: I love the stuff. It’s like a trademark of mine. It’s billed as an all day blend. Given that I smoke a pipe all day, an all day blend is just what I need.

Is there need for a Prince Albert clone, which is what Prince Andrew claims to be? Well, why not? So long as it’s done well. Prince Albert has gone up in price noticeably over the years and it is getting harder and harder to find in its conventional milieu of the drugstore. A clone from a well known and respected mail-order and online company like pipesandcigars might be just the ticket. So long, that is, if they get it right.

Did they get it right?

Friends, yes they did and then some. To begin with, in cut, smell, and overall appearance, Prince Andrew is nigh on indistinguishable from the original PA. As many times as I’ve packed Prince Albert into the bowl of a pipe, I’ve come to know it well. If there is any difference, Prince Andrew is a bit more light and fluffy, if you will, and does not seem sticky with the chemical humectants that they’ve added to Prince Albert over the years. The lack of such chemical adjuncts also seems to have regulated the overall flavor and palate consistency of Prince Andrew. With modern day, drugstore Prince Albert, those additives can, occasionally, make the tobacco taste off every few smokes. A sickening, syrupy acridness can come through, which is not at all what you want from the simple toasted burley of Prince Albert.

So, Prince Andrew, seemingly lacking in all of this junk, gives a great smoke throughout. It has all of the cool, nutty, creamy softness with the slight toasted edge and subtle chocolate essence that has made the original Prince Albert a favorite for something like a century now. Hearth & Home set out to replicate a classic and they did just that.

Would I switch over to Hearth & Home’s Prince Andrew exclusively? You bet. The tobacco is first rate and the price is excellent. The thing is, I do run out of tobacco sometimes and I don’t see why I wouldn't pop over to the corner store in my neighborhood that still sells Prince Albert. That’d hold me over, you see, until I could order more Prince Andrew.

JimInks (2040)

This is chocolatey, molasses and nutty, though a little less so than the original in those respects. The cut and look is identical. It burns a little cooler than the original, and while it does not have the syrupy flavor (and occasional chemical note) of PA, there’s a slight alcohol feel in the topping in a few spots. The level of mildness is the same, and the flavor is consistent to the finish. Burns at the same rate as the original and leaves a similar, lighter aftertaste. The original tends to be a little cigarettish at times, a little more so near the end. That’s not true of this version. If the chocolate, molasses and nut flavors were a little stronger, it’d be hard to tell the difference between the two, chemical hits of the original not withstanding. But the flavor is lighter here.

I gave the original two stars and a half stars.

I have been smoking through a 2-oz sample from P&C. I like this more than the original, and it is a 3-star match. The basics are there. Even the cut and texture are close. I smoked a pouch of Prince Albert last week, so this comparison is not based on cryptic notes or recollections of a distant past.

One difference is an improvement. I did not get any chemical note that is often part of "first light" with Prince Albert. The flavor is very clean, and the cocoa and nutty flavors are there. Another difference is a minus. I don't think the flavor is as "full" in Prince Andrew.

This was a light and easy smoke. It burned well, and did not have tendencies to get hot. It is a good smoke and it is easy to recommend. If you are looking for an "all-day" burley blend, you will like this. The rating is a solid three.

I smoked this back to back with P Albert several times this weekend and I prefer this blend. The flavors are nearly a perfect match, but Andrew has more body and the flavor is a bit richer. More bang for the buck right here. Very well done. Highly recommended.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. Flavor is nearly medium. Mild in flavoring. Burns perfectly. No bite.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Diplomat Apple

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

1 oz sample from an internet friend, who also gave me some PA to compare. In the bag they looked exactly alike although this one had more of a chocolately aroma while the original was more "burley".

In the pipe, this translated perfectly. The original was more nutty and cigarette-ish while this had just a bit more chocolate note. Other than that, they were very close in taste, except Andrew exhibited no trace of cigarette on initial light-up, relights and in the bottom fourth of the bowl. The basic nuttiness and grit of the original was more focused here, perhaps due to a finer grade of leaf. Differences between the two are likely noticeable only to those that are looking for them, for the most part. I did also compare these two to PA Choice, which I preferred over the other two, but is really not the same thing. While I felt this was a "better" tobacco (higher quality), I preferred the flavors presented by Choice. I'd give this 2.5 stars, the original PA 2 and the Choice 3. But I don't want to make too much of the differences. Choice is no longer available and is less like these two anyway. If I were a PA lover, I'd go for this and not miss a beat while saving some coin. If you're looking for depth and complexity, look elsewhere. If you're looking for PA, buy this instead! I doubt I'll smoke this again but I sure appreciated the opportunity! Thanks, friend!

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (57)

I smoke a ton of Prince Albert....while I find it very satisfactory, there's nothing that stands out for me, nothing that makes it better or worse than any other tobacco. It's just a lightly cased mild burley that is super easy to smoke.

Andrew smokes pretty good. The casing tasted very similar to Prince Albert, though maybe a bit less pronounced. The underlying tobacco tastes almost identical to Prince Albert. It requires a bit more tamping and relighting than Prince Albert...not a lot, mind you, just a bit more than Prince Albert.

I feel like I'm exploring the intricacies of vanilla soft serve ice cream at Dairy Queen versus Sonic. I wouldn't say they were identical, but I found them to be close enough to be virtually interchangeable. An extremely discerning palate could probably find more subtle difference than I did, but in the end they're both pretty much just plain jane soft serve.....errr, I mean, mild drugstore burley. Which, I suppose, means Hearth and Home hit a home run.

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This is supposed to be a clone for Prince Albert one of the greatest drugstore blends ever. Is it an exact match? No. Is it better? No. Is it cheaper? Yes about $10 less and you get 2 oz more. Is it a good smoke? Yes. It doesn't have the same chocolatly flavor and requires more relights, but it is a very pleasant all day kind of smoke. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Briars

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Prince Albert.

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (34)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I love Prince Albert. It's a daily smoke for me. I decided to try H&H Prince Andrew for cost reasons. I still had some Prince Albert on hand when Prince Andrew arrived. Had the same color and texture, but Prince Andrew was a lot more moist and smelled sweeter. I tried a pinch in a small cob just to get a taste. It seemed good, almost exactly like the original with more of a "real" tobacco taste. I thought I found a more cost effective solution to Prince Albert. Wrong. This stuff is very sweet, has a heavy chocolate flavor and the moisture affects the burning quality. It also had sort of a cinnamon-like taste that gave me some bad tongue bite. I left the lid off for a week and it became more palatable then, but still doesn't hold a candle to the original IMHO. I'm keeping it cellared for one of those backup/emergency situations. I'll stick with the original.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum, Italian Briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tin.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Pretty much just a Plain-Jane. No bite but this seems like nothing to write home about. Even its simplicity is unremarkable. I prefer the MacBaren burley blends to this mix...but I am not partial to Prince Albert, either.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

Pipe Used: briar and cob

Similar Blends: Prince Albert, Half and Half.

Haroldt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haroldt (24)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Prince Andrew They say this is a match to Prince Albert (which was the first tobacco I smoke when I started back in the 70’s.) It had been a long time since I had smoked Prince Albert, so when I ordered this, I went to the local store and brought Albert home.

In a side by side comparison, I do not see where these two match up, other than to say they are both very mild. I do feel that Hearth and Home has a better product, one that serves up a better taste.

The blend does smoke well. It’s very easy to light and it stays lite and burns very clean.

While I do not believe this will be a main stay in my cellar, but I can see getting a few ounces now and then.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob and Briar

Age When Smoked: just bought

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (155)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a full bodied (as in taste not nicotine) blend that is just wonderful to smoke. It is a burley forward blend, with the Virginia's adding some background taste. The topping (chocolate?) is very light. Just enough to make this yummy. I can easily afford more expensive tobaccos and do enjoy those quite often. However, this is a great everyday blend. I plan on travelling with it.