Deluxe quality for those who demand the best. Fine, hand-picked Virginia tobaccos and high-quality, twice-fermented Black Cavendish. An unusual combination of granulate and wild cut makes this an extremely loose pipe tobacco mixture. The aroma of natural fruit complements the tobacco to produce an extremely mild, balanced taste experience.

BrandThomas Radford
Strength
Taste

2.5
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

As a lover of Cavendish I was excited by this one , alas it was a little disappointing for me ! It does have a splendid fruity unlit aroma to it . It is of a good moistness and relatively easy to light up . It does however bite me too much ! The smoke has a good Cavendish taste at first but I soon noticed a certain acrid Citrus note in the background which is too strong and harsh . It also leaves a lot of residue/cake in the bowl .The Nicotine is not too strong in this one for me but that is more subjective ! It really does not work for me !!

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin

Purchased From: Smoke King

milabros1981 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
milabros1981 (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

That tobacco made me be a little bit skeptical about cavendish. There's no doubt, it is an excellent choice for aromatic lovers: smells and tastes really nice, no tongue bite at all, mild and soft (too mild for me though), one may sense all its flavor and goodness. The Virginia leaves inside provide all the necessary sweetness and taste for a well balanced and of great quality aromatic pipe tobacco. But it just doesn't fit my own tobacco standards, or it's just that I can't cope with too much cavendish in my pipe. Definately recommended to those who like that stuff.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Sunday`s Fantasy came to me as a gift - along with several other aromatics - in the festive season. I started the tin out of affection for the gift-giver, but finished the tin for its own merits. It is a light-weight, pleasant, dry aromatic that ranks with the best of aromatics. It is not likely that I will search for it, but compared to what else is in store for me by way of aromatics, would happily accept more of it in place of the Almondines, the Cherry Choices and Highland Malts.

tcvarlh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tcvarlh (11)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Wonderful scent followed by naught worth mentioning. A pretty 'baccy, a real eyecatcher. Disappointing tho' bland and bitey. Lacks 'culture' I feel. Maybe a little less roughly hacked would help. Not one of my rotation.

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (36)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

When you open the tin you’re invaded by an astonishing flavor of chocolate and fruit but, when you smoke it, the flavor is less pungent. It gives its top flavor in corn cob pipe, it’s a good beginner tobacco but there are better tobaccos around.

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)

I was totally confused when I first sampled this wondrous blend. See, I'm not an aromatic fan as a rule. But the odd bit of light casing amuses me every now and again. So what has happened to my sensory perceptions here?

Perhaps it's the simple yet lovely visual impact of the stuff, the contrast between the dark pieces of Cavendish contrasting with the rough, almost hand-torn look of the pale Virginia?

Or maybe the smell from the pack? Ooh, sweet raisins, yummy.

Easy to load and to light and then, well. Tobacco, yes. A hint of sweetness, yes. Delicate hint of fruit, yes. How to describe the ensemble? Absolutely gorgeous, I am blown away by the whole package here to the point of silliness, possibly the most enjoyable tobacco I have yet smoked.

I remain confused, but sated. Highly recommended.

J.R.R. Arcalimon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R.R. Arcalimon (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

With a rude cut, and a nice rectangular tin, this tobacco is a disappointment. When you open the package its tin flavoring is very pleasant but not when you fire it in your pipe: I like very much aromatic tobacco but it's difficult to mantain alight this (it is too much wet for me) and the flavoring is a plum-cake kind even for me who I like this kind of tobacco! Then some minute that flavoring disappear to leave only smoke.

Vovinam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vovinam (19)

Mild, pleasant and noble taste in the first place, a little redoundant and flat after a while, so don't expect surprises. When you open the tin the gentle smell of bergamot flowers combined with the casing (vanilla?) remeber earl grey tea, also the fancy wild cut remeber an infuse more than a pipe tobacco. You can discover a little hint of this flavour also in the taste. Very good basic Virginias, and the black cavendish is less covering than usual aromatized mixtures. Despite of all this good stuff it tends to lose something after the first part of the smoking: like a sort of distinguishable bitter aftertaste that equilibrate an eccessive an tiresome sweetness; you can preserve that by using pipes with a thin bowl and by pressing in the charge a little more than usual (at least this is what I've done).

I would give 2 and 1/2 stars if I can, but I can't, so I vote 2 stars because this tobacco don't deserve 3 stars at all!

Type: In part artificial in part natural mild aromatic mixture ; Contents: Virginia (light or gold), black cavendish ; Flavoring: Bergamot flowers and vanilla casing I presume ; Cut: Wild cut ; Humidity: A lot less moist than expected, but surely not dry, after all is an aromatized mixture! ; Lighting: Surprising easy lighting, and more surprising fast burning, but not always constant if you forget to poke it ; Pipe recommended: Definitely pipes with a thin bowl, tall if you want but not large. Don't use meerschaums pipes, these enfatize the nauseating sweet casing fund of the tobacco, instead try the corn ones that add some better natural and fragrant scent.

petefarrugia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
petefarrugia (1)

I do not usually smoke aromatics, but this came recommended by a tobacconist and I didn't have the heart not to buy it.

"Sunday's Fantasy" is quite an evocative name, puts me somewhere between breakfast and reading the papers.

The tobacco came in a (not particularly attractive shade of yellow) pouch, 50g, calling itself a "Handblended Premium Pipe Tobacco", apparently "Approved by Members of the London Pipe Club."

The mix includes Virginias and black Cavendish, a combination of granulated and wild cut tobacco and "natural fruit-aromas". After opening the pouch the smell is certainly very fruity - something like a fruit cake.

It's a fiend to keep lit and burns hot, but once you get going it produces an easy taste and nice pale smoke. No bite. Nothing overpowering, perhaps a little bland. Lady Nicotine barely makes an appearance.

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

It is fitting as this is my first review that it should be of the first pipe tobacco I tried 18 years ago, one that is still a firm favourate.

The first impression on opening a tin is the wonderful aroma of spicy vanilla,cream, oranges and apricots. A feast for the nose. The 2 form of leaf cut is a joy to fill a pipe with, no rubbing or balling simply gently pack and its ready to light. Perhaps the only fault I can find with this tobacco is its a little hard to light and keep lit. With some experimentation I have got round this by putting a small pinch of somthing bland and dry as kindle,(Clan for example)in the top of the pipe and lighting it that way.

The taste is rich smooth and creamy with a hint of fruit, with a slight spiciness which burns cool and will only bite if drawn on very fiercely. The smoke is far less sweet than one would expect from a double pressed Cavandish, I can only put this down to the quality of the blend as the Virginas come through gently and tastily as bowl is smoked out. A small dottle of fairly moist leaves are left in the bowl with a clean grey ash on top. Perhaps the most delightful aspect of the tobacco is the glorious room note. I have had nothing but compliments on its slightly sweet orange cream smell.

If ever a tobacco would convert a person to pipe smoking this is it, while remaining a luxury for any aromatic tobacco lover. And on that note, as I find I have run out I must order some more!

ABJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ABJ (1)

It is a good tobacco for beginners, easy to light, burns good, not wet at all, yet gets hot. Although it is an aromatic, I taste the tobacco and it makes me happy, maybe it's the sugar that someone mentioned earlier, maybe it is the pipe, whatever the reason, it is fun. If you just started smoking a pipe, you should try his one.

Julian Arden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Julian Arden (8)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Strong

Bad quality tobaccos which are hidden behind double fermentation processing and a lot, a lot of artificial flavours. One of the worst and most offending Black Cavendishes, I've ever tried. I can't recommend it to nobody except the people, who would like to have his favourite pipe spoiled by this mixture. Sad, but true.

Lachlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lachlan (1)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first smoke and is probably the perfect entry level tobacco for those trying their hand at a pipe. My brother came back from Spain with two pipes and a pouch of Sunday's Fantasy for my birthday - a real treat.. We smoked a bowl together on his balcony by the sea and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

The smell from the pouch is of Apricot and Christmas pudding, though when smoked, the flavor is very mild, with more apricot on the palate than "Christmas Pudding". It seems to burn quite well, considering I'm a new pipe smoker and generally only need to relight roughly twice per bowl.

I doubt the seasoned smoker would have much to do with this mild aromatic, but for the beginner it rates well.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

It's just a pleasant, sweet, tobacco with a nice cut and good burning qualities. Enough tobacco flavour to remind you you're smoking and enough sugar to make you feel slightly indulged. Makes me feel slightly cheerier on a wet afternoon, like having a slice of cake with your cup of tea.

It might not have enough personality to earn four stars but it's certainly good enough at what it does to get a solid three.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A very nice aromatic, with a certain uniqueness (I've smoked WO Larsen Vintage mixture,Peterson's De Luxe Mixture and "Connoseur's" choice (I don't know exactly how it is spelled :) ) ). Although it does not feel right to bring Sunday's Fantasy into comparison, is a great tobacco with fruity taste, witch I do not like,but that doesn't meen it is not quality stuff (I don't like scotch either but that doesn't mean that I can not make a difference between Jim Beam and Chivas Regal).

I highly recommend this with the following tips: 1.Don't stuff your pipe with it, let it breathe, but not too loose. 2.Smoke it slow from a quality pipe that makes a good heat transfer, or at least can absorb great heat. Virginias burn hot so if you are not careful you'll crack your pipe or burn your tongue to shreds. 3.Smell the smoke if you want to "breathe" some tobacco, and for goodness sake do not breath it in like cigarettes, it will make you dizzy and will hurt your throat.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (23)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've been tiptoeing around the aromatics since my return to pipe smoking, and although I've abandoned them, I have been threatening to try this one out of sheer curiosity. Not much to say really. Continental it certainly is ... made in Germany,but it has none of the vices that plague most aromatics. I'd almost forgotten why I abandoned continental light aromatics in favour of strong English blended flakes and plugs ( and me a novice pipester..... why haven't I yet been sick ??)

Sunday's Fantasy must be for people fantasising that society may be tolerant of pipe smoker's who's weed smells acceptable to them. For me it doesn't bite, nor give mouth tingle, nor give the metallic sore-throat taste like so many others.

It was personally acceptable to me just to smoke a mild friendly aromatic which leaves a wonderful room-note..... I go out of my office frequently whilst smoking this just to return to the ambience created.... sad little soul that I am.

Now ? it's back to 1792, Navy Flake,twists, plugs, and my overall passion D.F.A.( whilst finishing the rest of my sample of Sunday's Fantasy.)

What's my Sunday Fantasy ? I'm not telling.

ADDENDUM .... Just be careful, as I find this as a bit of a "wolf-in-sheep's-clothing". It's one of the only two tobaccos that I've managed to overdose on, ( as an adult that is.)

bogdanixx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bogdanixx (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

A very tasty, flowerish and not the last mature tobacco. A little spiky on tongue and a little to ruff for beginners.In room it leaves a very silky and unforgetable aroma. This tobacco suits for a young gentleman. It will remain one of my favotires.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Extremely Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

If you are a beginner and a fan of aromatics, this may be a nice experience for you. It smokes somehow hot so be patient and smoke it slow.

Not my taste. It is very sweet. I don't think I will purchase another tin of this stuff.

Komashoota Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Komashoota (6)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a good tobacco for the beginner. I felt no tongue-bite using it. It has a nice taste of apricot. I believe the packing shouldn't be too tight. (loose-pack.) In addition, better to cut or grind the brown leaves if your pipe has a small bowl.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

An interesting tobacco, but way too sweet for my taste. I'm not sure if I will smoke this again.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a gift from Theosmoke. One of the best aromatic tobaccos I have ever tasted. Hand blended Virginia tobacco and double brewed Black Cavendish. Unusually thick and rough cut. Very loose and pleasant mixture.

The natural fruit flavors (prune and apricot) are in harmony with the natural aroma of the smoke. It is a luxurious tobacco in a luxury packaging. It is smoked with ease until the end without losing its taste. It gives amazing aroma in the room and causes no tongue biting and coughing despite its aroma.

You cannot find a flaw easily.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

This is very good aromatic tobacco for beginners since it burns easily and taste is not to strong. A correct blend but not a superstar.

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a 100-gram tin of this because I liked another blend of Radfords: Classic Port.

It is even better than CP. I have smoked so far two bowls maybe three of it and I like it very much. However I will not smoke it so oftenly because for a daily smoke, there are many other excellent choices.

3 Stars for this one.

Vandaahl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vandaahl (8)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I picked this one up at my local tobaccionist, simply because this was the first time he was selling it! The tin is less beautiful then the image above because they put a big 'Smoking is dangerous' warning sign on top of the lid.

Like another reviewer said the tobacco indeed looks a bit like 'cornflakes'. It smells sweet, a bit like flowers. It reminded me a bit of Kentucky Bird. The tobacco can be used straight out of the tin. No drying is needed. It lights up easily and does not burn hot. It is a nice tobacco, but there are a lot better aromatics out there. So for me no more then 2 stars.

cotech Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cotech (6)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked this up because I was intrigued by the tin. Bad idea. I think it's horrible. It looks nice, but tastes absolutely awfull. I like aromatics and when I opened the tin I thought "hm, nothing special or weird, just your basic aromatic" but the smoking experience was not so...ehm...nice. It tastes like there's something in there that should not be burned. Like plastic, or maybe the horrid taste sugar has when you heat it to long and burn it when making caramel. Bitter and nasty. It has been sitting in the cupboard and I think it will become compost in the near future.

On the plus....it's cheap.

neuron_md Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
neuron_md (12)

When I bought a tin from the local store, I wasn't sure if I would love this tobacco. But now it has become one of my favorites! I'm an English blend smoker. But this has become one of my favorite aromatics. It has a fruity aroma that I, as well as those around me, enjoy. It has superb tobacco flavor, and it smokes cool, and doesn't burn my tongue. I even used it to break in a new pipe, and it behaved very well. I will certainly buy some more when I finish my tin.

zarteus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zarteus (10)

I've come to like this blend a lot. I could certainly live with Sundays Fantasy as my "go to" blend. Firstly, I am an aromaphile who loathes 90% of aromatics so I hope you see the perspective I'm trying to establish. Sundays Fantasy hits the spot where all of its nuances complement each other remarkably well, it isn't overly sweet yet has a long and complex taste to savour. It smokes really nicely from start to finish and the casing is superbly balanced with the tobacco. It leans towards the stronger side of the aromatics with regards to nicotine strength, which is still not so strong compared to many others, but overall I really recommend trying Sundays Fantasy if you are the type of smoker who can appreciate a textbook classic.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Strong

This aromatic is living proof that it is possible to blend a sweet aromatic that doesn't taste soapy or burn hot and wet, and frankly there aren't many out there that you can say that about. Sweet (not too sweet) peachy, vanilla with a delightful and mild flowery perfume. Presentation in the tin is 100%, wispy light golden and black 'corn flakes' of tobacco. Smokable straight from the tin, no drying required. I love the way the baccy is wrapped in plastic in the tin, sealing in all these warm aromas. I smoke this in a big Stanwell 9mm filter poker, puffing madly to see if I can get it to smoke hot or wet (I don't know what other reviewers are talking about!) it will not, it just plain refuses to. It just makes you wonder what all those other leading makers are doing so wrong. I have finally found a sweet, mild aromatic that can hold it's own against a strong English or a dark flake. Well done Pöschl, you've put the "I never smoke aromatics" snobs in their place with this one. Oh, if that isn't enough it's about 30% cheaper than 50grm tins by Peterson's, Solani, or Davidoff. TOP.

IHT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IHT (15)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not as ga-ga over this as Dub is, but he makes good points. Smoking this in a Savinelli Hercules, it burns nice and easy, no bite, no moisture buildup. Was ready to smoke out of the tin. Big chuncks of brown and black tobacco, reminded me of GLP Telegraph Hill in size, and packed just as easy.

I'm normally a Va/Per smoker about 90% of the time, for some reason felt like cracking a tin of something totally different while not making me gag down a heavy latakia blend. I also don't smoke aromatics much at all, maybe three bowls a year, and this will be my first of '08.

Not as nice as MacBaren Vanilla Cream in my books, less bitey though, and still a decent aromatic if you're in the mood for it and don't want to upset the neighbors with a foul smelling latakia blend.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Well.... at least I now have one of the prettiest tins on the market today. It's mostly full, too. One bowl was all it took for me to decide I had just smoked one bowl too many of this offering.

Sunday's Fantasy is a wild cut of sopping wet leaf smothered in casing. It burns hot and steamy and was a bugger to keep lit. Aromatic lovers who can smoke slow may find a wafting of something pleasant in this blend. My poor abused tongue just never managed that trick.

drewfasa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drewfasa (6)
Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This tobacco does just what it says on the box. Presumably one wouldn't buy it unless that wanted some candy, and as far as candy goes, this is a great one. The tin aroma if fantastic and the cut is really fun and pleasing to look at, little leafs mixed with cavendish and VAs. Packs well, burns well, and has a wonderful room note. Very sweet. Warning: has the potential to bite hard so don't smoke it hot.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Quite pleasant as sweet cavenish aromatics go. The cut is bizarre and defies classification, and it takes a little getting used to. However, once you get it sussed it works quite well, burns evenly and with minimal relights.

The aroma is predominantly vanilla, but with a generous shot of fruit as well, different to most other armatics in this style. People comment how pleasant it smells, so it's doing something right.

Taste is mild, mostly pleasant, but becomes a little hot and steamy at the end. I find this with most cavendish aromatics. Smoked gently it is quite enjoyable, and I occasionally buy it again.

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a surprisingly dry tobacco right out of the tin. It is broad-cut with even mixture of light & dark flakes. It smells very fruity, like berries, fruit cake....very pleasant, right out of the tin. Upon lighting, it has a medium flavor/taste which I could not put my finger on (similar to tonquin in 1792).....But I believe Tantric has hit it...."nutmeg"....very distinctive taste. You could smoke this blindfolded and know which tobacco it was. Room note is also pleasant. I did have some difficulty keeping it lit due to the porous/coarse nature of the packing. It may benefit to rub some out and place sprinkles on top of the other flakes and to get a really good charring light. Pipesand Cigars.com has a really good price (5 tins for $12.500, making this a very nice tobacco:price ratio. The tin is also a collectible!! I would give it strong 3-stars.

Churchwarden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Churchwarden (4)

Quite can´t figure this one out. I like it, but don´t know why. This tobacco has strange kind of purity in it. First puffs taste like burning cardboard, but when you´ve achieved half a bowl, you´ll experience very relaxing and fruity smoking experience. There´s no nonsense in this blend and I smoke it occasionally with great pleasure, although it truly lacks the taste of real tobacco. Not one of the tins to take with you to a deserted island, but very interesting and different kind of smoke. I like the package too.

kevin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kevin (7)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Not a bad smoke overall. Lights easily and stays lit. Not the most flavoursome smoke, but not particularly bland either. A good all round tobacco, that doesn't bite or have overtly high nicotine levels; it smells pleasant too.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

There is no prima facie reason for me to like this, but I do. I prefer natural Virginia flakes, medium English and Balkan blends (all with and without Perique). My introduction to Barbary Coast has led to an intermittent search for high-end, artificially flavored tobaccos with good tobacco taste.

It is an aromatic blend that tastes and smells of dark cherries, licorice, tonquin, dark chocolate, and perhaps something alcoholic and vanilla. There is also something undeniably Lake District about it, but just the occasional hint.

Sunday's Fantasy blend is surprisingly dry (ala C&D) in the tin and is composed of short, "wild cut" leaf. It is almost 50% dark and the lighter portions are divided between brown tones and some bright. It is a black cavendish, air-cured and a touch of flue-cured merry mixture.

Loading is easy, and I pack this tightly into one of two Falcon pipes good in my experience for aromatic blends.

Give this a good charring light, sit back and enjoy a smooth, cool, actually complex smoke that burns slow to a powdery gray ash. It is a nice change of pace and pleasant smelling to those around you. 1-Q/Wishire will not be resupplied, nor will Sweet Killarney.

I think RCUSElder and I frequent the same tobacco cellar [sic], because an ?August? salesman recommended I try Sunday?s Fantasy, too.

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I normally don't smoke aromatics but occasionally try to find a favorite for use in company. When I opened the tin, the sweet, fruity casing was overpowering and more like candy than tobacco. The thin but large cut leaf ranges from golden thru reddish brown to black cavendish. After my first bowl which revealed no tobacco taste, I allowed the blend to dry for several weeks and although the fruity taste was still there, @ least a hint of tobacco taste developed. Smoking characteristics were fine both before and after drying and no bite was experienced. This blend also smoked much dryer than many other aromatics that I've tried. The biggest + was the room aroma that received compliments rather than complaints. Although too mild for my taste as a regular, this high quality blend is a giant step above the drug store aromatics. However, don't be disappointed if you miss the tobacco taste in the smoke.

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Again, the tin looks nice very classic. The tobacco, however, is modern. The leaf are processed and manipulated in pretty hi-tech way. It is big flake cut with very thin pieces of bright virginias mixed with heavily flavored black leaf of different kind. It smells fresh with vanilla and a mild hint of peach. The smell is pretty overwhleming but the tobacco fells very dry and smooth to the touch when loading it to the pipe...hum.....a real kind of technology maybe? Lighting is easy. The vanilla, to my surprise fades into the back ground. It was the peach that overwhelm in room note and the taste in mouth. No tobacco taste at all while smoking it. And when I stop puffing and try to engage in a conversation, the taste of tobacco some how creeps through. And as I puff I notice this is one of the closest thing to a bitless tobacco. I highly recomend this blend to weekend pipers. Also, it is a must have as a colllection for bohemian socialists. As for me who usaully who only do aromatic during gatherings, this is not too bad. I sometimes light this weed up in my own time.

Carlo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlo (16)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Upon opening the tin the aroma is a mixture of sweet virginia and fermented fruit.

Because of the wild cut tobacco in this mixture and it's subsequent very loose nature, careful packing is required. Because I use the pinch method this doesn't present too much of a problem.

lighting is a synch; one carring light, a reasonably firm tamper, another light and that's it! Burns evenly to the bottom of the bowl. Doesn't burn as fast as some aromatics.

The taste is delicious: you can detect even amounts of sweet, very high quality virginia leaf and a casing of peach that isn't too faint or sweet and sickly. Not gloopy at all and smokes quite dry.

I'm told the room note is wonderfull. On the downside it does burn a bit hot and can bite the tongue, throat and palate quite badly if you're not careful; slow and even drawing are required! It's very mild in the nicotine department but still requires regular resting to avoid being bitten.

Pros: Wonderful fruity aroma and taste. Near perfect moisture content. No change in taste upon re-lights and smokes evenly and quite slowly for an aromatic.

Cons: Burns hot and does require very careful packing.

A very high quality blend that tastes and smells great but watch it's bite! If you like aromatics that are not too sweet and gloopy, this could be the blend you're looking for. A wonderfull, light smoke.

This was recommended to me by a fellow "latakia" junkie, actually he begged me to try this. I rarely smoke aromatics these days and lately I've been burned-out on "evening stroll" so after much harassing by my friend, I plunked down my $7.00 for a 50g tin. As i drove home, I coulnd't help thinking I could have saved my money and bought another tin of "Raven's Wing" to cellar. Well on to the review: Upon opening, you are greeted by a pleasant surprise of square-cut, high quality leaf in the half-gold, half-dark cavendish mix. The topping is strong out of the tin, but is very appealing. It smells like vanilla/berries. Moisture is dry for an aromatic but perfect for smoking. Packing is a breeze, lighting is a three vesta affair. You may have to run a pipe-cleaner through as you smoke this, but that happens with non-aromatics too. Flavor is the surprise. The topping is not as strong in the smoke as it seems in the tin. As a matter of fact, the virginia and cavendish are quite good and the topping does not taste "chemically" at all. This blend is truly a high quality aromatic. It is my new "holy grail" of aromatic blends. I smoked several bowls of this back to back without any of the acridity that some aromatics give me. The leaf comes out very nicely at mid to bottom of the bowl. Go out and get tins of this asap. You will be pleasantly surprised. Rating 5 out of 5 points, this would have been a perfect smoke for the Synod of Dort. Enjoy...

Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Tolerable

IMO, this tobacco strongly suggests a nutmeg flavour with perhaps a hint of bergamot. However, I would not classify it as a syrupy drugstore blend. The tobacco comes, as most Radfords do, in a picturesque tin, depicting an early Nineteenth century gentleman on a stroll (probably a relative of Johnny Walker, or Johnny Walker himself!). Visually it is a very attractive tobacco: the wild cut texture conveys a rich and highly contrasting mixture, comprising toasted Black Cavendish, bright Virginias and I imagine a certain amount of Burley or some Kentucky leaf. It is relatively easy to pack, but rather difficult to light and keep lit.

When lighting, the first thing I noticed was a piquant mildness that, yes, eventually lead to a mild case of tongue bite. The rich flavour was also evident from the very beginning, and remained so for the rest of the smoke, lingering on the palate (and nostrils!) for quite some time. Yet it did not really burn hot (like many MacBarens). Very tasty and perfumed, it however managed to deliver enough tobacco taste to make it, IMO, worthwhile, though at one point I was not sure if I was smoking pipe tobacco or Earl Gray tea (nutmeg? bergamot?).

A very refined, but unnecessarily mild smoke, Sunday Fantasy is a unique tobacco. I would recommend it to those novice pipe smokers who are looking to move on from typical drugstore blends, or as a change of pace for more experienced smokers seeking to indulge, once in a very long while, in original cased flavours with a hint of tobacco.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)
Medium Strong Mild to Medium Strong

Before a got my computer and discovered sights like this, I bought a tin of this and to my surprise found that what i thought at the time was a bad joke or a culinery disaster. The casings on this one overpower any taste tobacco and as my first experience of aromatics I hoped it would be my last . The mystery of why makers cannot give some idea on the tin as to what type of tobacco remains. Boiled sweets in a tin.

Old Man Bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Man Bob (6)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Opening the tin brought me back to earlier days and drugstore tobaccos. It has an odd large cut of the bright component, and needs careful packing into the bowl.

The smoke and pouch aroma are much the same, a medium but obvious vanilla with some more complex fruit smells - peach, I think, maybe apricot. But while the tin smells completely of topping, the tobacco does break through the flavourings at times. I first smoked it in a briar, then a cob. Both smoked dry and without gurgling, but hot.

As I was putting the tin away, the art on the cover caught my eye. The smoker shown there is in an odd mishmash of costume, as if he raided a theatre closet with only a vague notion of history; but the pipe he held was a longstem clay, and it piqued my curiosity. I carefully loaded a bowlful in a 1750's style "tavern pipe", and that changed the tobacco's character completely. The toppings melded and muted, and a light but clean and sharp tobacco taste came through clearly; smoked with moderate care and frequent tamping it did not bite at all, and I enjoyed it. At the end, however, I felt as if I'd just finished a dinner of nouvelle cuisine; yes, that was wonderfully light and refreshing, but may I please have a plate of barbequed ribs for dessert?

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This aromatic concoction, about 1/3 "wild cut" golden Virginia and 2/3 "double-fermented" Black Cavendish, is blended by Alois Pöschl in Germany. It smells like vanilla-cased, cavendish-processed leaf always does. The Virginia only insures that it burns hotter than Cavendish typically might. The taste is mild, clean, unmemorable.

A non-gunky, pleasant enough offering for the aromatic smoker.