Deluxe quality for those who demand the best. Fine, hand picked Virginia tobaccos and high quality, twice-fermented black cavendish. An unusual combination of granulate and wild cut makes this an extremely loose pipe tobacco mixture. The aroma of natural fruit complements the tobacco to produce an extremely mild, balanced taste experience.

BrandThomas Radford
Taste
2.5
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Sunday's Fantasy.

At present I really enjoy the softer taste of Cavendish's so I was excited by this one, alas I found it a little disappointing. It has a splendid fruity unlit aroma to it, but the fun ends there! After only a few minutes of being smoked it takes on a strange, acrid, causticity, which is most unpleasant. Also, to increase my distain, it tends to bite me like crazy, and the smoke becomes far too warm.

Rank.

One star.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin

Purchased From: Smoke King

kadet.siipina@gmail.com Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kadet.siipina@gmail.com (2)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Aroma: Sweet. Fruit and Vanillia

composition: Aromatic. Virginia, Burley and Black Cavendish Fermented.

Cut: Cut Wild

Pipe: Savinelli Oscar Dry straight medium-sized

Packing: The charge comes easy

Lighting: The ignition occurs easily and the smoke presents itself continues at least for the first quarter with ash. From half 'looks a bit more complicated

Smoke: Smoke light and pleasant. The aroma is not presented as the time of the opening of the can. Towards the end I noticed a definite loss of flavor. This could be my mistake of smoke.

Condensation: In my case I noticed a lot of condensation. The pipe to destination 'has begun to bubble.

Rating: The smoke is not 'was negative, but frankly I do not leave anything in particular.Iam beginner and I noticed several difficulties. I think i dont buy it anymore maybe when i have much experence.

65/100

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)

I was totally confused when I first sampled this wondrous blend. See, I'm not an aromatic fan as a rule. But the odd bit of light casing amuses me every now and again. So what has happened to my sensory perceptions here?

Perhaps it's the simple yet lovely visual impact of the stuff, the contrast between the dark pieces of Cavendish contrasting with the rough, almost hand-torn look of the pale Virginia?

Or maybe the smell from the pack? Ooh, sweet raisins, yummy.

Easy to load and to light and then, well. Tobacco, yes. A hint of sweetness, yes. Delicate hint of fruit, yes. How to describe the ensemble? Absolutely gorgeous, I am blown away by the whole package here to the point of silliness, possibly the most enjoyable tobacco I have yet smoked.

I remain confused, but sated. Highly recommended.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Sunday`s Fantasy came to me as a gift - along with several other aromatics - in the festive season. I started the tin out of affection for the gift-giver, but finished the tin for its own merits. It is a light-weight, pleasant, dry aromatic that ranks with the best of aromatics. It is not likely that I will search for it, but compared to what else is in store for me by way of aromatics, would happily accept more of it in place of the Almondines, the Cherry Choices and Highland Malts.

Cakici Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cakici (10)
Very Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I would say the blend is based on 70% black cavendish, 20% virginia, 10% burley. Burns somewhat weird to me because of the wild cut. I smoked it straight when I opened the pouch, and when it aged like 5 months. I didn't mean to age it, but since the tobacco was staying on my shelf for months, I gave another try, for few bowls. It still remains "insignificant" for me, somehow undistinguishable from other cavendish based aromatic blends. One may notice the weak citrus as you go beyond the half bowl.

But hey, Missouri corn cob gave me a little more pleasant smoke than other briar pipes. Anyway, still not recommended.

Pipe Used: Couple of Savinelli, Danske Club and Corn Cob

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Digger'76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Digger'76 (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I've tasted this this one some years ago, when I first got into pipe smoking. I remember trying different tobaccos then, varying from aromatics to non-flavored blends. Recently I've returned to smoking pipes and I have to admit this "Thomas Radford - Sunday's Fantasy" was one of the few I recalled. So I had to try it again and to my surprise it was as much as I remember: Great fruity like taste (a bit to sweet maybe), enough strength, burns well and no tongue bite, if dried a bit. So far it's my favorite aromatic aside for my Latakia cravings. An excellent beginner aromatic (though I suspect some chemical add-ons), something that can be smoked after a good meal. Also cheaper than many other brands. No doubt there are many great aromatic out there just waiting to be tried, but this "Sunday's Fantasy" will surely be on my menu sometimes.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: New (dried for 1/2 hour)

Sentul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sentul (12)

I'm not normally a fan of aromatics but this one I really do like, it's lovely. If this tobacco had more strengh it would be on my permanent list.

The flavours are lovely as is the tobacco.

This is a totally different aromatic to the usual gloopy, soggy mess that some are famed for.

In a nutshell it's delicious and just a tad short of Lady N if she were in the package it would be heaven :)

In all seriousness it's a really nice tobacco and well worth a try, for everyone who enjoys a pipe.

milabros1981 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
milabros1981 (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

That tobacco made me be a little bit skeptical about cavendish. There's no doubt, it is an excellent choice for aromatic lovers: smells and tastes really nice, no tongue bite at all, mild and soft (too mild for me though), one may sense all its flavor and goodness. The Virginia leaves inside provide all the necessary sweetness and taste for a well balanced and of great quality aromatic pipe tobacco. But it just doesn't fit my own tobacco standards, or it's just that I can't cope with too much cavendish in my pipe. Definately recommended to those who like that stuff.

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (30)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

A nice and easy smoke. Aroma/incense with a very mild taste. Ashy at some point. Reminds of England.

Sunday Fantasy was a tobacco I was really looking forward to as it is supposed to be a “high end” aromatic. Upon opening the tin, I was greeted with a nice, colorful paper lid with the tobacco wrapped in cellophane underneath. The tin scent is that of a higher quality aromatic as there wasn't any artificial or chemical smell to the blend. The “wild” cut of the tobacco wasn't the easiest to work with. Unlike many aromatics, SF was also fairly dry and pipe ready. SF is medium in sweetness and it does burn cleanly. I simply didn't think that the flavor warranted the reputation. When I do smoke an aromatic, I want to satisfy a sweet tooth or a desire for a dessert tobacco. SF didn't fill the bill for me on either count. However, I do think that if a tin can be found that many will like this blend, as it could be an all day smoke for the aromatic fan. It just wasn't for me.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Strong

This aromatic is living proof that it is possible to blend a sweet aromatic that doesn't taste soapy or burn hot and wet, and frankly there aren't many out there that you can say that about. Sweet (not too sweet) peachy, vanilla with a delightful and mild flowery perfume. Presentation in the tin is 100%, wispy light golden and black 'corn flakes' of tobacco. Smokable straight from the tin, no drying required. I love the way the baccy is wrapped in plastic in the tin, sealing in all these warm aromas. I smoke this in a big Stanwell 9mm filter poker, puffing madly to see if I can get it to smoke hot or wet (I don't know what other reviewers are talking about!) it will not, it just plain refuses to. It just makes you wonder what all those other leading makers are doing so wrong. I have finally found a sweet, mild aromatic that can hold it's own against a strong English or a dark flake. Well done Pöschl, you've put the "I never smoke aromatics" snobs in their place with this one. Oh, if that isn't enough it's about 30% cheaper than 50grm tins by Peterson's, Solani, or Davidoff. TOP.

Johannes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Johannes (2)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

First pouch I got was 2 dry, but the second one was better, but on the other hand I like my tobaccos on the moist side. For an aromatic where the casing plays a big role this one has remarkable balance. I am usually not a big fan of very fruity casings but this one works.

The cut is very peculiar, like little torn pieces in stead of cut ribbons, packs very well and seems to work best in a larger bowl. Burns well trough with consistent flavor. Perhaps not an all day smoke but one for special occasions, for me at least.

Pipe Used: Briars, various

Purchased From: Tax Free, Viking Line

Similar Blends: Conaisseurs Choice, similar casing at least..

Dalarchone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dalarchone (3)

The tin (or rather pouch, sadly) note is excellent; sweet, fruity, flowery, very pleasant. So I was eager to start puffing this one, but the tobacco needed some drying first for it was quite moisty. I found it a bit tricky to pack because the cut is quite unusual: dark and bright shreds with a triangle-like shape. Nevertheless, easy to lit and keep it that way - when dried properly. Will not bite even when pushed. The taste... well, at first the taste was similar to the smell of the unlit tobacco but very very mild, and I needed a couple of bowls of this to get that taste. Sadly, the taste is gone after finishing the first half of the bowl. The base tobacco is of good quality, so I could live with that. This is, indeed, a fine smoke for a fine, sunny Sunday afternoon or picnic (and those around you will like the smell very much). Hence, I recommend it for those who are looking for a light and relaxing smoke for Spring or even Summer. I do not think this is an everyday tobacco but needs your attention to shine and taste really good.

---EDIT--- I forgot to mention that DO NOT let it completely dry out. I have just found some leftover in a pouch, and it nearly killed me.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: Bunös élvezetek kicsiny boltja, Pécs, Hungary

doktorstamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
doktorstamp (11)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Having perused the reviews left by others, my own feeling is that this tobacco has been rather harshly judged, and only too well aware that the "non aro" smokers are on the whole a tad biased. Many pipe smokers, myself included, began their pipe smoking careers with an aromatic tobacco, even when those concerned now vehemently deny this. Forget not that even Homer nodded and blinked on occasion. So here goes for my impression of this tobacco; on opening one is met with a very pleasant bouquet of fruit, not dissimilar to freshly baked Christmas cake, it is, however, not overpowering, nor is it sickly sweet. The mix of Virginia leaf, and Cavendish cubes and strands is loose, and it packs easily into a pipe. It readily takes a light with no difficulty, nor hasten I to add is it overly moist. It produces lots and lots of lovely creamy smoke, the flavour of the tobacco comes through and excites and dances pleasantly on the palate, the casing when smoked is barely discernible, it does, though, leave a pleasurably pervading room note, so can be described as "user friendly" when smoking out and about. In other words you are unlikely to be banished to some dark and distant corner of a beer garden. Mild as it is, it requires sipping gently or it will bite, it can, too, burn hot if puffed too enthusiastically. I would exhort all to try this tobacco bearing the aforementioned caveats in mind. Purchased on a whim from the supplier stated below, and very pleased that I did. Capricious purchases have in the past acquired a few duds, but that is life.

Pipe Used: Peterson #68 Killarney

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This blend should really taste and smoke a lot better than it actually does. And now, after cellaring it for months I remember why it was there in the first place.

It's pouch/tin aroma is incredible, and it has the look of one of those really expensive Danish blends, with large yellow-brown flakes mixed in with dark cavendish. Looks really appetising.

I dug this out of the back of my pipe cupboard, like I've done many times before and it was in the same state as it went in. Wet, that is. Very wet. I recalled that drying it out made no difference, in fact it made it worse.

Hundreds of relights later and the pouch aroma has come and gone. Left behind it a damp tobacco that you have to push really hard to keep it going. Yes, people here have said this could bite and it certainly has the potential to do so. I ended up with (ironically) a very dry mouth and a strange flowery aftertaste.

It's going back in the cupboard until the next time I feel like draining my supply of butane.

Pipe Used: Most briars

Purchased From: Gifted/Online tobacconist

Similar Blends: Sam Gawith's Firedance.

A Laroche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A Laroche (3)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the second tobbaco & aro for me,after Tilbury Full Aroma,another Poschl tabac.The first smoke of the tin hapend in august 2016,in a vacation at Sighisoara the medieval city,in the hart of Transylvania. It was one evening at the balcony of the pension where I was stayed.Relaxed,after the first day that i visited the beautiful fortress of Sighisoara.I sat down on the chair and I tactically started the ritual of preparing the pipe.I started to undo the tin with the retro label of Thomas Radford Sundays Fantasy. The smell: As I puted the lid to one side, i absorbed a very sweet penetrating odor and pleasant for my olfactory sense. Unlike the smell of tobacco before ignition, the smell of smoking is more decent, Even pleasant.The tin it feels an intense and sweet aroma typical of mixtures containing Black Cavendish.Even very sweet.I smelled sweet fruits.I was going to eat it. The visual:Very good-looking tobacco of yellow virgins and black cavendish with a new cut for me.The tobacco is in a transparent bag and it's a colorful impression of a mixture of large and smaller, lighter and darker pieces of tobacco.Great image. The smoking:Unlike the smell of tobacco before ignition, the smell of smoking is more decent, even pleasant.A little chemical,but pleasant.The same problem as Tilbur Full Aroma, sting if hurry smoking and like most aromatics smoke hot. Sunday's Fantasy is recommended as a suitable tobacco for the most flavored period of the year.The winter holidays. My taste says to give 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Angelo briar

Age When Smoked: Unsealed and consumed undried immediately

Purchased From: Internet shops

Robykeys82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Robykeys82 (20)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

A close friend who wanted to start smoking a pipe got a bad advice from the tobacconist, and he went to my house with a pouch of this tobacco. I don't pretend to be an expert, I just started one year ago, but this tobacco is, IMHO, one of the worst pipe tobacco on the scene. The positive notes: the pouch aroma. That's it. The bad ones: strange cut, which doesn't make packing your pipe easy at all. The smoke itself: like smoking warm air. Nothing of the pouch aroma is present while smoking. A terrible product, which I would not recommend to anyone.

Pipe Used: Frabenver

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (62)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is quite attractive to the eye, the wild cut of brown shades & black makes it very appealing to me.

he pouch-note is very strong, the fruit/citrus notes do come through. There is a brandy/sherry like sweetness to it, which makes me think it may have been stoved in barrels or perhaps had alcohol added at some point in its production.

The tobacco loads easily & takes the light well. It is worth bearing in mind that I received mine as a sample from a friend, so I cannot comment on how it burns straight from the tin, although mine was in no way dried out, so I think it was quite fresh. Required few relights.

The room note is fairly pleasant, fruity and mildly spiced.

The taste is okay, and what I expected it to be from the pouch note, fruity & rich, and also quite overpowering. The tobacco doesn't particularly shine, but I don't know if this is just due to too much topping, or the topping combining with weak flavourless tobaccos. Given the strength of the added topping, though, I suspect the former. Towards the end of the bowl, when the topping has largely burned off, the tobacco can be tasted, but it's really too little, too late for me.

No tongue bite was received from this tobacco. Thus ends my short foray into the word of aromatics, I'm going to be sticking mostly to English blends & Virginias from now on, I think. I may sample some other aromatics at some point in the future, but was not particularly excited by any of them (apart from Clementines Nip from GQ - an outstanding smoke). I'll give this two stars, wasn't terrible, but not something that made the Earth move, not by a long shot.

Pipe Used: Dr. Plum short billiard

Age When Smoked: Unsure (but fairly new, I think)

Purchased From: Received from a friend

Shawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn (4)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

It's cheap, that's its main benefit, cost just a little more than the likes of Captain Black and Borkum Riff, yet significantly better in quality. That's what attracted me. Tin smell is nice, you definitely notice lots of added flavourings, plum being the most upfront. So long as you take slow, small puffs, there should be no tongue bites. The tobacco itself has very little flavour, certainly the most mild aromatic I have tasted, this could be its only weakness. But smoking this in public, you can be sure it will offend nobody.

Pipe Used: Vauen Largo

Purchased From: Online

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (60)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

A middle of the road Euro aromatic, best in a 9mm charcoal filter pipe. Nice room note, and a little bity to give satisfaction. Not a bad smoke. I was smoking from a tin that was, I'm guessing, about 7 to 10 years old. Vacuum held well. Fruity.

Purchased From: Pipes & Tobaccos

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I bought this to try as an experiment because my tobacconist was out of my usual weekend purchase. As a mild aromatic that isn't 'aromatic' in the worst - chemical, artificial - sense, this Cavendish mixture is all right. I found it quite cool and slow burning, with a distinct but not overpowering fruity flavour. The 25 gm I bought was a little dry, I thought, but I don't know if this is a normal feature of this tobacco. It was well behaved all the way down the bowl and didn't leave any messy dottle. As the name seems to imply, it's a pleasant occasional smoke, perhaps a little too mannered to be suitable for all day and every day. Not surprisingly, it needs to be taken slowly, or it does heat up. I found the scrappy appearance of the leaf as sold - the 'unusual combination of granulate and wild cut' - rather unattractive, but this is a minor point. I wouldn't smoke SF regularly; indeed, I probably won't buy any more of it. Nonetheless, as an occasional venture away from my usual choices, it was a worthwhile experience. It's probably on that basis - as an occasional 'Sunday' change from normality - that I'd recommend it. I also have the idea in my mind that it's a kind of 'summery' smoke, suitable for a warm afternoon outdoors. Worth a try, like most things; but you probably wouldn't like it as a companion for every day.

raybrown55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raybrown55 (27)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A good aromatic, with a moderate topping. I taste the chocolate more than the fruit. The tobacco comes quite dry in the tin, which is unusual for an aromatic, but it burns slow, due to the wild cut. This blend is particularly cheap (here in Italy anyway), which is another reason to recommend it.

tcvarlh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tcvarlh (16)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Wonderful scent followed by naught worth mentioning. A pretty 'baccy, a real eyecatcher. Disappointing tho' bland and bitey. Lacks 'culture' I feel. Maybe a little less roughly hacked would help. Not one of my rotation.

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (49)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

When you open the tin you’re invaded by an astonishing flavor of chocolate and fruit but, when you smoke it, the flavor is less pungent. It gives its top flavor in corn cob pipe, it’s a good beginner tobacco but there are better tobaccos around.

J.R.R. Arcalimon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R.R. Arcalimon (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

With a rude cut, and a nice rectangular tin, this tobacco is a disappointment. When you open the package its tin flavoring is very pleasant but not when you fire it in your pipe: I like very much aromatic tobacco but it's difficult to mantain alight this (it is too much wet for me) and the flavoring is a plum-cake kind even for me who I like this kind of tobacco! Then some minute that flavoring disappear to leave only smoke.

Lachlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lachlan (1)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first smoke and is probably the perfect entry level tobacco for those trying their hand at a pipe. My brother came back from Spain with two pipes and a pouch of Sunday's Fantasy for my birthday - a real treat.. We smoked a bowl together on his balcony by the sea and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

The smell from the pouch is of Apricot and Christmas pudding, though when smoked, the flavor is very mild, with more apricot on the palate than "Christmas Pudding". It seems to burn quite well, considering I'm a new pipe smoker and generally only need to relight roughly twice per bowl.

I doubt the seasoned smoker would have much to do with this mild aromatic, but for the beginner it rates well.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

It's just a pleasant, sweet, tobacco with a nice cut and good burning qualities. Enough tobacco flavour to remind you you're smoking and enough sugar to make you feel slightly indulged. Makes me feel slightly cheerier on a wet afternoon, like having a slice of cake with your cup of tea.

It might not have enough personality to earn four stars but it's certainly good enough at what it does to get a solid three.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (24)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've been tiptoeing around the aromatics since my return to pipe smoking, and although I've abandoned them, I have been threatening to try this one out of sheer curiosity. Not much to say really. Continental it certainly is ... made in Germany,but it has none of the vices that plague most aromatics. I'd almost forgotten why I abandoned continental light aromatics in favour of strong English blended flakes and plugs ( and me a novice pipester..... why haven't I yet been sick ??)

Sunday's Fantasy must be for people fantasising that society may be tolerant of pipe smoker's who's weed smells acceptable to them. For me it doesn't bite, nor give mouth tingle, nor give the metallic sore-throat taste like so many others.

It was personally acceptable to me just to smoke a mild friendly aromatic which leaves a wonderful room-note..... I go out of my office frequently whilst smoking this just to return to the ambience created.... sad little soul that I am.

Now ? it's back to 1792, Navy Flake,twists, plugs, and my overall passion D.F.A.( whilst finishing the rest of my sample of Sunday's Fantasy.)

What's my Sunday Fantasy ? I'm not telling.

ADDENDUM .... Just be careful, as I find this as a bit of a "wolf-in-sheep's-clothing". It's one of the only two tobaccos that I've managed to overdose on, ( as an adult that is.)

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

This is very good aromatic tobacco for beginners since it burns easily and taste is not to strong. A correct blend but not a superstar.

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a 100-gram tin of this because I liked another blend of Radfords: Classic Port.

It is even better than CP. I have smoked so far two bowls maybe three of it and I like it very much. However I will not smoke it so oftenly because for a daily smoke, there are many other excellent choices.

3 Stars for this one.

neuron_md Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
neuron_md (13)

When I bought a tin from the local store, I wasn't sure if I would love this tobacco. But now it has become one of my favorites! I'm an English blend smoker. But this has become one of my favorite aromatics. It has a fruity aroma that I, as well as those around me, enjoy. It has superb tobacco flavor, and it smokes cool, and doesn't burn my tongue. I even used it to break in a new pipe, and it behaved very well. I will certainly buy some more when I finish my tin.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Sunday's Fantasy is a wild cut of leaf smothered in casing. The large amount of natural additives somehow works, and the Virginia and Black Cavendish combine to make this a strong, yet sweet smoke. I've found that older tins have lost a lot of the flavoring and I actually preferred this one that way. A unique, welcome change of pace smoke for me.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Quite pleasant as sweet cavenish aromatics go. The cut is bizarre and defies classification, and it takes a little getting used to. However, once you get it sussed it works quite well, burns evenly and with minimal relights.

The aroma is predominantly vanilla, but with a generous shot of fruit as well, different to most other armatics in this style. People comment how pleasant it smells, so it's doing something right.

Taste is mild, mostly pleasant, but becomes a little hot and steamy at the end. I find this with most cavendish aromatics. Smoked gently it is quite enjoyable, and I occasionally buy it again.

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I normally don't smoke aromatics but occasionally try to find a favorite for use in company. When I opened the tin, the sweet, fruity casing was overpowering and more like candy than tobacco. The thin but large cut leaf ranges from golden thru reddish brown to black cavendish. After my first bowl which revealed no tobacco taste, I allowed the blend to dry for several weeks and although the fruity taste was still there, @ least a hint of tobacco taste developed. Smoking characteristics were fine both before and after drying and no bite was experienced. This blend also smoked much dryer than many other aromatics that I've tried. The biggest + was the room aroma that received compliments rather than complaints. Although too mild for my taste as a regular, this high quality blend is a giant step above the drug store aromatics. However, don't be disappointed if you miss the tobacco taste in the smoke.

This was recommended to me by a fellow "latakia" junkie, actually he begged me to try this. I rarely smoke aromatics these days and lately I've been burned-out on "evening stroll" so after much harassing by my friend, I plunked down my $7.00 for a 50g tin. As i drove home, I coulnd't help thinking I could have saved my money and bought another tin of "Raven's Wing" to cellar. Well on to the review: Upon opening, you are greeted by a pleasant surprise of square-cut, high quality leaf in the half-gold, half-dark cavendish mix. The topping is strong out of the tin, but is very appealing. It smells like vanilla/berries. Moisture is dry for an aromatic but perfect for smoking. Packing is a breeze, lighting is a three vesta affair. You may have to run a pipe-cleaner through as you smoke this, but that happens with non-aromatics too. Flavor is the surprise. The topping is not as strong in the smoke as it seems in the tin. As a matter of fact, the virginia and cavendish are quite good and the topping does not taste "chemically" at all. This blend is truly a high quality aromatic. It is my new "holy grail" of aromatic blends. I smoked several bowls of this back to back without any of the acridity that some aromatics give me. The leaf comes out very nicely at mid to bottom of the bowl. Go out and get tins of this asap. You will be pleasantly surprised. Rating 5 out of 5 points, this would have been a perfect smoke for the Synod of Dort. Enjoy...

Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Tolerable

IMO, this tobacco strongly suggests a nutmeg flavour with perhaps a hint of bergamot. However, I would not classify it as a syrupy drugstore blend. The tobacco comes, as most Radfords do, in a picturesque tin, depicting an early Nineteenth century gentleman on a stroll (probably a relative of Johnny Walker, or Johnny Walker himself!). Visually it is a very attractive tobacco: the wild cut texture conveys a rich and highly contrasting mixture, comprising toasted Black Cavendish, bright Virginias and I imagine a certain amount of Burley or some Kentucky leaf. It is relatively easy to pack, but rather difficult to light and keep lit.

When lighting, the first thing I noticed was a piquant mildness that, yes, eventually lead to a mild case of tongue bite. The rich flavour was also evident from the very beginning, and remained so for the rest of the smoke, lingering on the palate (and nostrils!) for quite some time. Yet it did not really burn hot (like many MacBarens). Very tasty and perfumed, it however managed to deliver enough tobacco taste to make it, IMO, worthwhile, though at one point I was not sure if I was smoking pipe tobacco or Earl Gray tea (nutmeg? bergamot?).

A very refined, but unnecessarily mild smoke, Sunday Fantasy is a unique tobacco. I would recommend it to those novice pipe smokers who are looking to move on from typical drugstore blends, or as a change of pace for more experienced smokers seeking to indulge, once in a very long while, in original cased flavours with a hint of tobacco.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This aromatic concoction, about 1/3 "wild cut" golden Virginia and 2/3 "double-fermented" Black Cavendish, is blended by Alois Pöschl in Germany. It smells like vanilla-cased, cavendish-processed leaf always does. The Virginia only insures that it burns hotter than Cavendish typically might. The taste is mild, clean, unmemorable.

A non-gunky, pleasant enough offering for the aromatic smoker.