Chatham Manor is part of Hearth & Home's Mid-Town Series, which are match blends for famous and highly popular drugstore blends -- OTC favorites with that Russ Ouelette touch. Smooth and mellow, this white Burley and Virginia blend has a wonderful and not-heavy chocolate topping. This is an all-day puffer and the price is hard to resist.

Notes: This is a match blend for Carter Hall but a bit more chocolatey.

BrandHearth & Home
Taste

3.4
JimInks (2040)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The original Carter Hall is fairly nutty with some molasses, and a mild chocolate taste. Chatham Manor, which is a Match for CH, is a little more chocolatey, a little less nutty with about the same amount of molasses. I think there’s just a little more red Virginia in the CM. Both have the same toppings: light bourbon and cocoa. Both burn well and even with few relights, though CH needs a few more than CM does. Sometimes, there can be a cigarette note in CH when puffed too fast, as well as a chemical note. Neither is true of Chatham Manor. Both have a mild nic-hit. Overall, while a moderately close Match in some respects, Chatham Manor has a little richer, deeper, more consistent flavor that doesn’t weaken at the finish or leave any dottle. Often, Carter Hall can lose some flavor near the end, and if puffed very fast, could sport a harsh note or two. That doesn’t happen with this version as the taste is consistent from first light to last puff.

I rated Carter Hall at three stars.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)

Carter Hall is my daily puff, until now. What I like about Carter is it burns easy, no fuss. I can mow the lawn, go hiking, be active and not have to worry about fiddling with it. I also just plain like the taste. What I don't like about Carter is it gets cigarette ashy toward the bottom of the bowl and my wife does not like the after roomnote. Chatham does all the good I like about Carter without the negatives. It is not a Carter clone, nor do I think it would be a great general mixer, but it is as close as I have ever found... And I have looked! This is due to one other negative of Carter, the chemical notes in it. This came out very clear when I cracked open a mason jar at six months with Carter in it, first thing to hit my nose was not the usual Carter smell but chemical off gassing. Chatham does not do this. Now Chatham is a bit, only a bit, more sweet, maybe in a light chocolate sense, than Carter. It fades a bit through the bowl but can be found in relights near the end. You certainly can tell the quality of the tobacco is better. I'm glad that H&H came up with this blend. Yeah I can be happy with Carter, but I am very happy with this!

Pipe Used: Corncob

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars

Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A friend from Texas offered to send me a sample of Chatham Manor. He sent a Texas-sized sample - 8 oz! I am 15 or 16 bowls into the CM experience.

In terms of a match, I think it is a 2.5 or maybe even a 2. The CM is milder and there is less topping. I always got just a little bitter taste with the CH, and the topping is a fairly distinctive trace of bourbon and a sweet that might be just a little brown sugar. With CM, the smoke is milder, and more mellow. I don't identify specific flavors in the topping.

I don't think it is a very good match, but it is a very good smoke if you are not expecting to be reminded of CH. The pouch note is cocoa. It burns well and is an easy smoke. It is mild on mild with a nutty tobacco flavor and a little cocoa in the taste too. It comes at a great price point.

I have a GBD pot that just rocks with CM. In codger style, I smoked it three times in a row with CM and did not dissemble to clean. It was still rocking at the end of bowl three.

All of this is very good. This is another one of those OTC-style tobaccos you wish you could get OTC. It is a solid 3.5. I will buy a tub of it when I am finished with the sample.

Various browns in a ribbon cut with a subtle nose of chocolate and basic tobacco. As someone who found Carter Hall mildly offensive, I wasn't all that excited to try this large sample sent by a friend and CH expert. But I was interested, as Russ had recently discontinued Angler's Dream, a tobacco that I felt was the finest OTC-style tobacco in existence.

The topping in this one was a bit subdued as compared to CH and based on my faulty memory. It wasn't the chocolate topping in CH that bothered me, it was... something else, but I can't say what. This one started out like a basic OTC with a nutty and slightly sweet flavor but did not go ashy and cigarette-ish down the bowl. In the tradition of Virginia-based tobaccos, it actually improved! It got a bit sweeter, richer and more "there". I thought it was my imagination until the aforementioned expert confirmed that he was having the same experience. This one never got complex, but that's not the point of OTC's anyway. It's just a good tobacco-y flavor with some mild chocolate and a fair bit of nuttiness with just enough sweetness to know you're smoking something that was blended with care and expertise. This has replaced Angler's Dream as the finest OTC-style tobacco I've ever smoked and is absolutely perfect for those times I look at all my tobacco jars and can't decide what to smoke. This always satisfies, and not just a nicotine craving. It has depth of flavor that regular OTC's never seem to have, along with a down to earth flavor that is never boring but never too attention-getting. Great for multi-tasking. Good job, Russ! More tubs on the way!

Bugenhagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bugenhagen (9)

So there I am glancing back and forth at all the 4 star reviews of Hearth and Home blends, and a pipes and cigars catalog with a pic of the Mid-Town series of blends and thinking: "I like Carter Hall; should I try this Chatham Manor?"

Figuring that so many good reviews of other blends signals a general high quality to this brand, I figured I'd take a shot. Then, when I saw the price, I pulled the trigger.

I'm glad I did. When I opened the canister the aroma was round with a deep but subtle sweetness and fruitiness. Whatever the aromatic topping is, it is subtle and only enhances and supports the tobacco flavors.

Chatham Manor is mostly burley with a little Virginia, and that deeply fruity mellow topping. Smells old fashioned in a good way.

It is a ribbon cut that packs easily, lights easily, stays lit, and smokes at a good clip.

The topping doesn't interfere with with the tobacco flavor but supports it and brings it out.

Chatham Manor tastes nutty, round, and sweetish right down to the bottom of the bowl with no real dottle. A mild and simple smoke; a great all day blend; a pleasant change of pace from heavier blends. I really enjoyed it.

How does it compare with Carter Hall? Hard to say without having some CH on hand to compare, but if memory serves, it delivers the same goods as CH, but a bit different. Chatham Manor compares to CH the way Lane 1Q compares to Captain Black (more refined).

Update (August 2015): After enjoying CM off and on for half a year or so (half way through my second tub) I still stand by my review, and still love this neo-OTC blend. On the difference between Chatham Manor and Carter Hall, I would have to say that CM is chocolatier, but not annoyingly so; AND that smooth 'breadiness' of Carter Hall is more muted in CM.

Bugenhagen

Pipe Used: MM Cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the new canister

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Carter Hall.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (297)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

2/7/2016 Ok guys so I have aged half the CM in a ball jar for exactly one year and if you liked the fresh CM, wait till you try some with a year on it. Smoother, Virginia a tad sweeter and she dried out some to the perfect level. Loving this stuff!

I just love P&C since they always have great specials that keep me entertained weekly and also keep me updated on all the new goings on in the pipe world. When I read in an email that Russ had recreated some age old blends using top shelf leaf and keeping the price down I was ready to jump on them but I waited for a couple of reviews to order. Our own Bugenhagen left a great review and I was intrigued, the TAD itch had gotten me... Well Chatham Manor lives up to the refinement of the blend it was designed to replicate possesses. I actually like the tin aroma flavor better than Carter Hall since it is more brown sugar / Cocoa than Carter (but very very restrained) this is not an aromatic by any stretch. Ribbon cut but not thin ribbon so that keeps the heat down and you can tell it contains very good quality leaf at first open, the total opposite of say opening a Walgreens Golden Burley bag and knowing although it may taste good, the leaf looks and feels cheap, Chatham Manor screams high class OTC and regardless of price I would still order Chatham and actually prefer it to CH. I plan on ordering the others of the Mid-Town series and am very excited to try the Prince Albert and Sugar Barrel replica's. Great idea Russ and I sure do appreciate taking the gamble and creating these blends!! Between Chatham, Prince Albert and Storm Front I have my entire week set during the working hours, later in the evening I prefer a more stout mixture but for driving around or puttering Chatham can't be beat. So delicious and refreshing that a modern blender created a Vintage OTC our grandpas would be super proud of and satisfied, that's a mark of excellence! O by the way I split the tub into two large ball jars, one to age and one to dip my fingers in, that way I can see what 6 months does to Chatham and the tub would dry out eventually but my ball jar is only 7 ounces... Best in a medium sized cob, say Washington or Country Gentleman, I tried every shape and these were the best.

Pipe Used: Cobs, best in a larger cob like Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: Fresh as it was just introduced

Purchased From: Pipes and CIgars

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (92)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Carter Hall, which, as we all know, Chatham Manor is meant to replicate, has always been an also ran for me in the realm of classic OTC tobacco. It's alright, but it's never my first choice. I feel exactly the same way about Chatham Manor though, interestingly, I don't think Chatham Manor is really all that much like carter hall.

It's composed of burley and Virginia, yes, and it has a mild, indistinct top dressing, but that's about it. The cut of Chatham Manor is thicker and more random than is Carter Hall. The top dressing is far more reminiscent of chocolate or maple or what have you. Carter Hall always just smelt "different" to me and not like anything in particular. With chatham Manor you have a natural leaning aromatic with a predominately mild burley flavor.

It's nice enough. Really more passable than anything else. It's mild and reassuringly bland, rarely hot, and, if conceivably offensive, only so in its lack of notability. It's cut is also far from uniform and it can pack and burn badly every one in a while.

Again, though, wholly distinguishable from Carter Hall and nowhere near as good as Prince Albert and its assorted clones.

Pipe Used: Various English and American billiards

Similar Blends: Prince Andrew, Hearth and Home Old Companion, Hearth and Home Classic Burley Kake.

Phototone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phototone (8)
Mild Very Strong Mild Tolerable

Well, a match for Carter Hall this is not, although there is some similarity, but the chocolate flavoring is way over the top and overpowers any other flavors this might have. I just bought a fresh pack of Carter Hall to compare, and there is very little aroma from the tobacco in Carter Hall, while this Chatham Manor overpowers you with strong aroma upon opening the tub. The cut is slightly different also, but Chatham Manor is OK on that point, the cut burns fine. Carter Hall has a delicious balanced flavor (balanced between the tobacco and the toppings). Chatham Manor is a one-note Chocolate bomb to me. So I am just giving this 2 stars, because I bought it as a Carter Hall match, and I am disappointed that it is not. Others may like it on its own merits and give it a higher rating, but I wanted a lower-priced Carter Hall. Fortunately Carter Hall is still being made. This makes me quite reluctant to try the Prince Albert match, as I like Prince Albert just the way it is.

Pipe Used: Dunhills, Petersons, Grabows

Age When Smoked: Fresh from vendor

I smoked CM and CH back to back all weekend and I prefer CH. CH has more bourbon evident in the topping, CM more chocolate. I like the bourbon. While the tobaccos in CM have a little more body, I prefer the flavors of the tobaccos in CH. CH is nuttier and sweeter. All in all CM is close, very close, to matching CH, but doesn't quite pull it off to my taste buds. It's still a very good smoke.

Mild to medium in body. Mild in flavoring. Mild to medium in flavor. Burns perfectly. Smooth with no bite.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Bibster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bibster (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have gone through several bowls of this stuff and it has become my "go to" blend. It lights well and stays lit (no charring light required, just fire it up and go), is easy to maintain and provides a pleasant, cool smoke from top to bottom -- absolutely no tongue bite. I have done a couple of side-by-side comparisons with Carter Hall and I think Chatham Manor is a clearly superior tobacco. The cocoa/chocolate flavor is slightly more noticeable, but it enhances, rather than overshadows the flavor of the tobaccos, which are of very good quality and provide a pleasant nutty flavor. When I smoked the first couple of bowls of CM I did get an occasional chemical taste, but I have not noticed this in the last half-dozen or so bowls that I smoked. Chatham Manor also burns considerably longer than Carter Hall. As has been noted elsewhere, Chatham Manor is a tobacco that one can easily puff while doing yard work or other tasks, but there is also enough going on with this tobacco to reward a slower, more contemplative smoke as well. In my opinion, Russ has hit a home run with this blend and, considering the superior quality of the tobaccos and the lower price, it is the clear choice over Carter Hall (and a lot of other blends, for that matter).

Pipe Used: Stanwell Liverpool, Radice Billiard, corncob

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Similar Blends: Carter Hall.

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (28)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

At first I didn't like this blend. I thought it was nothing like Carter Hall. After air hit it from opening and closing the tub, and it being in a pouch it mellowed and now I see the resemblance. I probably never had CH this fresh ?? It is a very good mild smoke. Nutty, round burley with a slight Virginia hay quality. Sweet smoking, mellow sweet aroma, very nice. I wish it had a little more strength is my only gripe. Casing seems to be cocoa and molasses. Has that old school pipey, grandfather's pipe aroma. I will keep this on hand !

Pipe Used: Cobs, briars, and hardwood maple.

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Love this. Close to CH in many ways but it has a unique character all its own. Pouch note is mildly sweet with some cocoa and molasses. Lights well and burns effortlessly to the bottom of the bowl. Hints of chocolate and nuts and a brown sugar sweetness are evident throughout the medium bodied smoke. Cool and smooth with no bite. It's a classic Burley blend at an excellent price. Well done Russ.

Russ O. sure must be having fun with these match blends. I always appreciated the old Carter Hall for what it was and this one actually ratchets up the quality and flavor of what I remember from that old classic. I see where some reviewers are calling the top note chocolate like. I got more of a Cocoa sort of flavor along with a much more nutty taste. The cut was a little larger than CH, and burns slowly considering the contents. Well done match, right here!

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (34)

I love Carter Hall. It was one of my first daily smokes, and I still smoke it almost every day. I decided to try H&H Chatham Manor for cost reasons. I had some CH on hand when the CM arrived. It looked similar, but had significantly higher moisture and smelled a lot sweeter. Seems CM, like the Prince Andrew I tried, lack the subtleties and simplicity of their Middleton counterparts. Why so much extra, stronger flavors? Why so damp? I left the lid off of the tub for a week and it improved the flavor and burning qualities, but not enough to replace Carter Hall for me. I cellared it with the Prince Andrew for an emergency/backup. I will stick with Carter Hall.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum, Kaywoodie, Italian Briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tub.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (128)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I agree with most of the other reviews. Chatham Manor isn't remotely similar to Carter Hall but it stands ok on its own merits. I could taste nothing but chocolate and, in that respect, it would be a good match to Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic except it doesn't bite as readily as SWRA. It smokes cool and dry down to light gray ash with no chemical taste. It is monochromatic compared to Carter Hall's complex taste but, at $24 per tub it is a much better value than the plastic bags of chemical soaked cigarette tobacco sold as pipe tobacco.

Pipe Used: Various

Similar Blends: Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.

Talltree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talltree (19)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I received a tub a few days ago. It is a mild burley with essence of chocolate and a grassy taste which has been attributed to Virginias. This seems to be a good grade of tobacco. It came a bit moist in the tub so will have to be dried out some. I don't care for the grassiness. In all honesty, I find it boring. CH has an aroma which many have attributed to bourbon. CH is more complex and tasty. It also finishes a bit better. I don't think Chatham Manor really compares to it. Despite the obvious chemical additives in Carter Hall I still like it better. Two stars for Chatham Manor. It just doesn't have the flavor to compare with Carter Hall which is worth the extra bucks.

I have to add - if you want a tobacco like Carter Hall, why not buy Carter Hall. It's not that expensive.

Pipe Used: new corncob, old briar

Age When Smoked: fresh out of the tub

Similar Blends: not really similar to Carter Hall.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I was dubious about this blend when I first heard of it. Even with Russ' magic touch, I wasn't sure he would be able to replicate my favorite OTC.

I was right, but that's not a bad thing. This blend takes what I like about Carter Hall and improves it just a little. The smell and appearance are dead on, and the flavor is very similar. If you told me this was Carter Hall I might believe you, just thinking I got a particularly good batch.

Well done Russ!

Pipe Used: Wall Street briar

Similar Blends: John Middleton, Inc - Carter Hall, Sutliff Tobacco Company - Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match (Match).

wildrage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wildrage (5)

I love this blend. Higher quality leaf than Carter Hall, and a slightly different topping. This is my go-to when I'm not certain what I want to smoke.

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (23)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Let me state that I have never really done a negative review, if I didn't like something I just didn't review it. I have smoked the lowest rated OTC pouch tobaccos you can fathom and regardless of chemical odors, or odd after tastes it didn't matter I smoked them till they were gone. And I have smoked ten pouches of Carter Hall easily and I thought I would try this since I do quite enjoy burley blends. This plain and simple isn't Carter Hall or like the alternative to PA this isn't even an alternative. The first pipe tobacco I ever threw out, and after six bowls it went in the trash where I think it does best. You might like it so I won't say don't try it, but the wheel was not reinvented.

Pipe Used: Big Ben, MM cob , and a Stanwell

Similar Blends: Pall Mall, Camel, Marlboro Red.

Pecci Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pecci (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

If the new Fed. Regs. were not to take this one away soon, I would say this one I could survive on alone. It is the best predominately burly blend I have ever experienced. I like CH also, but if CH were a Toyota, then CM would be a Lexus. I believe there is a bit more VA in CM, but for me the biggest difference is how smooth, refined & reliable it is. Always very enjoyable, and the easiest I have ever experienced to qualify as an all-day smoke. Even though I indulge only a couple of bowls weekly. It stays cool and bitless, even when drawing at your hardest. Although it is delicious all the way down the bowl, it does seem to pick-up on the flavor delivery after the half-way point. If Russ' intentions were to make this a Carter Hall match, then he really screwed-up by going way to far. This is my favorite baccy, even surpassing Uhlie's Blend 00. Creamy hints of cocoa & nuttiness may dominate, but every once in a while late in the smoke a very slight mintiness shows up for me. What a shame this one is going in soon. If I were Hearth & Home I would pay-up for this one! Hint, hint!

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, modified Dwarf Cobbit

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Carter Hall, Uhle's Blend 00, Burley London Blend.