St James Flake has the reputation for being one of the best flakes on the market. This moist flake containing Virginia and Perique has flavours of hay with pepper overtones from the Perique. This smokes well from the tin but if left to air becomes less tangy and cooler. This tobacco is pressed with a little added sugar which can crystallize on the surface.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Taste

3.8
JimInks (2038)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not sure why this is listed here because this is the same as the tinned version, and there is no difference in taste, unless you bought one or the other aged. The only difference is that the packaging is different and the flakes are longer in bulk.

The perique offers mild fruit/raisin/plum notes with some pepper as a supporting player. It has a naturally dark fruit sweet, slightly grassy, rather earthy Virginia taste, and a hint of chocolate if you are looking for it. And there is a very mild sweet topping, but I never found it distracting in any way. There is a light fermented quality to the sweetness, which likely comes from the aged tobaccos and the pressing. It does need some drying time, but if you dry it completely, you lose a little of the flavor. I cut it in very small, almost cube size, mixed in a few short, slim strips. It burns slowly, requires some relights, and leaves a little moisture in the bowl. Has a mild nic-hit. No chance of bite or harshness even when pushed. Has a cool, clean, smooth, sweet and spicy consistent flavor from top to bottom with a very pleasant after taste. Can be an all day smoke.

When a fellow local pipe club member brought his St. James bulk to one of our meetings to share, I initially didn't want to smoke any as I had smoked the tinned version and was not a fan of the large amount of Perique included. But, after some of the VaPer lovers made positive comments about the blend as they smoked it, I figured I needed to smoke a bowl. I sure couldn't tell any difference in the flavor, but then, the last time I smoked St. James out of the tin was a couple of years ago. I compared notes afterwards and the opinion was pretty much the same. The only difference being that the bulk that I smoked seemed to smoke a little cleaner with less re-lights than the tinned version. I somewhat recommend this blend to Va/Per lovers among us. It is a cautious recommendation because the Perique in this blend is absolutely over the top for me and judging from the previous reviews, may be a bit much for the average Va/Per lovers among us. Still, for those who love a Perique kick in the teeth, this is going to be worshiped.

As is the case with most all SG Virginia blends, the leaf is top-shelf and the presentation (in this case, flakes) is quite nicely done. The pendulum leans to the right in both strength and taste.

Sam Gawith St James (Bulk). The tinned Sam G' St James is one of my favourite blends so when I noticed this 'bulk' version on the G.Q Tobaccos website I just had to try some. The smell from the pouch is identical to its tinned twin, pure hay and the flakes are the same in build/colour. An area that I am pleased to notice they differ in is moistness! Usually when I open a tin of Sam G' flake tobacco the word 'soaking' immediately comes to mind but these are nowhere near as drenched. The flavour is superb, it just reminds me why St James is in my favourites list! I get a lovely Virginia taste with an evenly weighted Perique spiciness. The burn is very consistent leaving behind a white ash and it doesn't need hardly any re-lights. The nicotine is of a decent strength, in fact I can see this being a great morning smoke to re-fill my nicotine stores! Most of its properties are the same as the tinned version but the one area where this is diametrically opposed is the content of moisture, they say you can't improve on perfection but this is an example of a rare occasion where perfection has been improved! Four stars.

Pipe Used: Rattray's Six Friends

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

Similar Blends: St James Tinned!!.

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (47)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I went fishing today and along with the usual hooks through the fingers and some worm slime mixed with dirt stuck under the finger nails, I also managed to have 2 bowls of St James Flake and since this was my first time smoking this..here are my thoughts.

COOL......very cool smoke...and a deep richness one would expect from a blend this dark and sweet smelling. When I opened the bag and had myself a long deep whiff the raisin like smell tickled each nose hair and stayed around inside my head until I packed and started smoking the pipe. Packing was easy,this flake broke apart with ease and once lit there was plenty of smoke around me and the flavor was sweet..smokey and cool with a nice spiciness that grew the more I smoked it. There was never any bite and I had maybe two relights and I attribute that to reeling in and unhooking fish. This is something I could smoke all day but most likely save for when fishing or reading a book.

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Age When Smoked: Unknown But did have some age on it

Purchased From: Allegheney Smokeworks's Bulk Bar

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (84)

I don't know why it's taken me so long to write up my thoughts on this flake but sometimes I just forget to sing my praise of some old favorites. This one is definitely a favorite and I consider it to be one of the finest VaPer's on the market. This will give you low base notes with some sharpness from the Perique. It's of the yeasty bready kind of flavors rather than the light hay like notes you would find in lighter VaPer's. I enjoy dark flakes and low notes and this one satisfies on every level. The flakes are packed ready to smoke, especially in the box and that is usually uncommon with Samuel Gawith tobaccos, I've smoked a lot of this and have never had to dry it before I load up and I like my tobaccos dry because I get a lot more flavor that way. These flakes will age with grace but require no cellar time to produce an amazing smoke. Nicotine level is just about medium so this is perfect for all day smoking. I just can't praise this one enough!

Essential!