Notes: From Danish Pipe Shop's website: A blend of light Virginia and Black Cavendish. The tobacco has a lovely color and smells of vanilla, with a hint of lime and other exotic aromas. Medium strength.

BrandPaul Olsen
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
JimInks (2040)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginia is fairly sublimated by the toppings, but a little grassy sweetness is present. The black cavendish offers mild vanilla. The toppings are fruity, and I detect lime, orange, with a hint of pineapple, among other tropical flavors. Has very little nicotine. Won't bite or get harsh. Burns cool, smooth, and a little creamy at a moderate pace. The taste is consistent to the finish with virtually no moisture left in the bowl. An all day smoke if you choose with a very pleasant after taste and room note. Three and a half stars.

Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Paul Olsen - St Croix (My Own Blend).

First things first, it's not a flake (as it currently states), it's a ribbon/ready rubbed blend. I'm not sure whether the recipe's been adjusted, only my experience differs a little to the mighty JimInks' below. Here's my thoughts:

The aroma from the tin is a little more basic than I thought it would be: malty vanilla, I don't get any fruit from it. The blend contains a far higher proportion of Virginia compared to Black Cavendish; it looks to be about 80-20%. A bowl lights easily, due to the moisture; I always find My Own Blend good in that area.

Now, they MUST have adjusted the recipe! I get zero lime, and nothing exotic; like the tin-note, the topping I get is a malty vanilla one. That's not a problem though, it's quite an enjoyable flavour. It even gives me a biscuit-like aftertaste! I only get a very light fruitiness on the retro-hale, but nothing like I expected to get. The tobaccos' taste quite basic: vanilla from the Black Cavendish, albeit a little entangled with the vanilla topping, and some very basic Virginia nuances. I get a little more nicotine than I thought I would, it's not strong but I do find it medium.

This is a decent enough blend, but I couldn't see myself regularly piping it:

Two and a half stars.