Sweet bright and ripe red Virginias are the base and a fair dose of perique and a touch of special fire cured burley complete a unique package.

Notes: From P&C's website: One of Russ Ouellette's favorite pipe makers is Italian impressario, Luigi Viprati. One thing he learned early on is that Luigi loves Virginia/perique blends, and he asked Russ to try to make something that would remind him of his favorite: Escudo. Russ began by finding three different types of matured Virginias, each with a slightly different flavor profile. To that, Russ added a fair amount of zesty perique, but it was lacking some body, so he found a fire cured burley, with a rich, but subtle flavor that added just enough depth and "kick" to round out the blend.

BrandHearth & Home
Strength
Taste

3.9
JimInks (2040)

The variety of red Virginia is one of those that Russ uses in Louisiana Red: rich, tangy dark fruit sweet with a little earth. The other Virginias are a little grassy with mild citrus, and a touch of earth. The dark fired is a supporting player, but its spicy, nutty and woody presence is felt in nearly every puff, contrasting nicely with the spice and plum from a healthy dose of perique. The perique level is a little higher than most Hearth & Home blends, but it does not overwhelm the other components. It's strength and taste levels are medium and the nicotine is just a little closer to medium than it is to mild. Won't bite or get harsh. Well balanced with a very consistent flavor, it burns clean and cool at a reasonable pace with very little moisture left in the bowl. Needs an average number of relights. Has a sweet and spicy after taste. Depending on your personal preference strength-wise, just manages to stay in the realm of an all day smoke.

Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Looks and smells like a typical VaPer in the tin. Nice and fruity-musty, this one seems to have a bit more Per than usual. No problem there, as I prefer my VaPers on the plus side. Ribbon cut, easy to load.

This is a deep blend, plummeting the depths of dark fruit. Forget the usual raisins, figs and plums, this one is more in prune territory... rich and dark, but not muddy and still retaining a basic sweet character. Not a strong blend but full in flavor. The Virginias are more than just a base for the perique and, along with the Kentucky, add sugar and spice and help to round out the blend. I got the impression that this is very close to Russ' own Fire Storm but I didn't have any of that left to do a side by side comparison. And whatever Fire Storm lacked for me, this one delivered to the Nth degree. It hit all the right VaPer notes and rivals GLP's Telegraph Hill as my favorite in this genre. Rich but not strong, with a cavernous depth, and just sweet enough not to be all condiment. Excellent Virginia platform as well. Russ is definitely one of the most innovative blenders in existence and never seems to rest on his laurels. This one is headed to my rotation, as I think it's the finest of his blends that I've smoked. I'm going to pick up some more Fire Storm as well and do some head to head testing. Try this one if you enjoy full flavored vapers and aren't afraid of the perique!

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (69)
Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Nice mix of colors, from yellow to orange to dark short ribbons and some round black flecks mixed in. Tin note is leather, cherries, and chocolate. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a top dressing here; assuming, for now, it's the Perique and Kentucky components. Packs easily and burns beautifully. Nice, creamy smoke, not exceptionally thick, but creamy and nice.

Not your grandfather's (or father's or uncle's or brother's) VaPer. As Russ's Cerberus is to a typical English blend (including his own, like Magnum Opus and White Knight), so this one is to most VaPers. The Perique is fruity, spicy and very up front. The Kentucky is buttery, leathery, nutty and smooth, and present (in a very polite way) throughout. To me, the Virginias actually play more of a supporting role here (although the red VAs are there all along). "Spice" and "depth" are accurate descriptions. Gets more harmonious as you progress through the bowl, with the perique taking center stage. Like an intense cherry-wood barbeque, with occasional notes of orange peel. I've pushed it; no tongue bit, but did get a slight case of the niccups.

Goes without saying for a Hearth & Home Marquee blend, but burns down to a minimal grey ash. Very rich tin note and flavor with a healthy dose of nicotine. This is a hearty, unique and delicious VaPer. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Pop's old Longchamps

Age When Smoked: 2014

Similar Blends: Pease's New World Triple Play, but shaggier. :) And spicier..

I was given a sample of this and a full tin from my nephew, whom I recently introduced to pipe smoking. I am beginning to think Russ can add master to VaPers to the long list of other things he has seemingly mastered. This and Firestorm are just fantastic blends. In addition to the other fantasic Vapers he has created, I am not sure he can lose when it comes to using Virginia and Perique, with or without other condiments.

I liked this one a lot. It had all the Virginia sweetness one would expect and the right level of spice from the perique. I would say it is probably on the heavy side to the average smoker, but that is how I prefer them. I am happy to see that there is some dark fired in the description as I thought I did taste a little bit of that, but not nearly as heavy as is in the Firestorm.

This is just another great creation from Russ. I will add that it is to Russ's credit that I buy anything from P&C since they did what I found to be unethical with respects to the price increase they laid on their Esoterica products. To this day I refuse to buy from them other than the products that are produced for their Hearth & Home line.

Cappadoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cappadoc (8)

Oh, why did I wait so long to try this blend? An absolutely amazing VaPer. Deliciously sweet and tangy red Virginia with a peppery fig Perique background. The fire cured adds the perfect boost to the body and strength. It lights and burns well with no perceptible change through the bowl. I finished the first tin in 10 days, about half the time it usually takes. I could not stop smoking this blend. Easy top 5 blend of all time.

Pipe Used: Alfred and Son freehand

Age When Smoked: 1 year

jwillis172 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jwillis172 (4)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

VaPers of the World Unite! You have nothing to lose but your change! Move along Escudo. Nothing to see here Beacon. The champion has arrived!

Opening the tin, the tobacco is well packed and stuck together. Scratching the surface brings up uniform ribbons of yellow, red and brown, somewhat larger black flakes. The Three Royal Virginian Horsemen, with Perique and Cavendish on their flanks and the Old Dark Fired marching in columns behind. The tin note provides a fugue of olfactory sensations; hay, plums, vinegar, wood smoke, then chocolate. The chocolate lingers, not sweet, but earthy, astringent. My mouth waters. This is good stuff!

I choose a large Nording freehand and use gravity feed with a light Frank tamp. I recommend larger pipes and loose packing with this tobacco. Charring and lighting proceeds normally and then it happens… The world stops turning. My daily activities fade away. What was I planning to do while smoking? I can’t remember; I think I’ll just relax. I recall an illustration in Carl Ehwa’s “The Book of Pipes and Tobacco” showing a man in a smoking jacket falling into a dreamlike state in a cloud of pipe smoke. The smoke is smooth, balanced, light to medium body and medium strength. The smoke is one-dimensional, smooth, balanced, round and round. I take small sips breathing in some of the side stream. A great smoke should always be on the verge of going out. The bowl is barely warm to the touch. I taste the vinegar and chocolate – sweet and sour – perfectly balanced. Savory and sweet, in perfect harmony.

Thirty minutes into the bowl and the relaxation becomes physical. I sink deeper into my chair and my arms and legs get surprisingly heavy. The pipe goes out. I lightly tamp and relight. The voyage continues. I feel a small punch in the gut, reminding me of the strength of the blend. I recommend smoking this blend on a full stomach…

Epilogue

Master blender Russ Ouellette has done it again! The best of the best. Long live Russ and his Marquee Series.

Pipe Used: Nording freehand

Similar Blends: Escudo, Beacon.

Ubiquitous Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ubiquitous (7)

The tin aroma is dominated by zesty, fruity red Virginia. There is a slightly toasted/smokey underlying aroma as well. I cannot detect any perique. The humidity is perfect right out of the tin and it packs well. The taste upon lighting is surprising. The perique, which was absent in the tin aroma bursts forth with pepper on the charring light. It seems to mellow out once the bowl is well lit, giving way to the burley and dark fired tobacco. The red Virginia is there too. It's vinous, nutty, slightly smokey. Towards the bottom of the bowl, the nuttiness intensifies and takes on a maple syrup-like quality. Not sweet, mind you, just rich. It may bite slightly if smoked too fast, but that tends to be the case with most Virginia based blends. It burns well, and only recquired a few touch up lights. The room note is to my liking, and the perique really shines. A true "plum & pepper" aroma, with some smoke from the dark fired Kentucky. Overall, I love this blend. It is a wonderfully complex, medium bodied smoke. If you are a fan of VaBurPer blends, and you haven't tried this one yet, you are missing out.

Purchased From: pipesandcigars. com

drbarryk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drbarryk (4)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

No poetic or analytic meanderings... just a simple shout out to summarize everything you need to know about Viprati: this is THE vaper for the ages....

Pipe Used: Peterson Brandy B11; Castello Sea Rock Author

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: By classification, many; by what Viprati delivers, none.....

WRW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WRW (2)

If you love perique you will like this. As Va/Per's go this is a hall of fame type blend. Spicy and rich smoke with a hint of sweetness. Moisture content is perfect right out of the tin, but I found after letting it sit in a jar for a couple days the flavors seemed to mellow out.

No bite, but you can feel the spice from the perique. Smokes down to a gray ash with no moisture. I put this into my top 5 Va/Per's. for me this is an all day smoke. I really need enjoy this blend.

Pipe Used: A variety

Age When Smoked: Less than a year

Similar Blends: Elizabethan.

wmf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wmf (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Absolute perfection. This is no pipe tobacco. This is an experience. Cracked open the tin at almost 1yr. Almost speechless. Thank you Russ. New blend/old school/thoroughly enjoyable. There is no equal vaper- 10 friggin stars

Pipe Used: Saseini 4 dot stubby billiard, modded vsop dublin

Age When Smoked: 1yr

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: The new standard by which vapers will be measured.

PresbyPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PresbyPiper (2)

What a wonderful blend! I just finished off my first tin of Viprati and really enjoyed it. It's a zesty tangy blend that really hit the spot and delivered each and every time. I tend to be a rapid puffer and my quick cadence didn't ruin my tongue at all and was quite flavorful; however, when I managed to slow my pace of puffing down the flavors from the virginias, perique, and the fire-cured burley really shined through and the plumy spiciness really satisfied. This is a worthy VAPER blend deserving of a permanent spot in your rotation.

Age When Smoked: less than 6 months

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

WOW! This is amazing! I thought there are so many Vaper on the market already and this should be good but not impressive. I was dead wrong! Even from new opened tin, Viprati shows itself with deep, dry fruity and profound flavor that exceeds my imagination. Can't imagine how great it will be after few years of age. Medium strength makes it a good all day smoke. I may trade all other vapers I have for this. This is the holy grail to my taste!

beercritic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beercritic (33)

THIS!! Deep, earthy, rich & delightfully peppery. Dare I say, "better than Escudo?" Not as strong as Pease Triple Play; I'll smoke that when I want my butt kicked. Kudos, Russ. You. Nailed. This!

Pipe Used: Generic Churchwarden

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (98)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a super VaPer that took a little drying time before all the complexity came to the fore. It reminds me of Russ's AnniKake on steroids. Smooth and very complex. If you love VaPers this one should be in your cellar or rotation!

Pipe Used: Mauro Armellini Verona Rustica made for Tinder Box

Similar Blends: AnniKake.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As a Virginia perique fan it would be hard not to like this one. It is a no nonsense blend that is composed of rough cut leaves that run the gambit from light khaki to very dark brown. It has the tin aroma of most perique blends, somewhat spicy and tart and the moisture content was almost smokable right out of the tin. I let mine dry overnight with the lid off and was rewarded with a wonderful smoke to start my day off the next morning.

It packs easy in the pipe and smokes all the way down without access moisture. It smokes down to the bottom of the pipe to a dark grey ash. This blend is very rich and the combination of the three sweet Virginias and the tart perique is quite delicious. Every bowl I smoked made my mouth water. I personally like the room mote but everybody I smoked it around complained. Lol, but that is how it is with perique. I highly recommend this blend, it is one of Russ's better creations.

Pipe Used: fine briars, meers and corn cobs

Age When Smoked: over 6 months

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (84)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Don't believe I can put it any more accurately than TallPuffO'Burley's review. Sweet, brooding VA complemented by the perfect ratio of pungent, spicy perique. Love this conconction...the constituents are of very high quality. Could it be authentic St. James in there? I believe so. This stuff gets exponentially better the longer it ages, but I've loved it since in emerged newborn from the tins. I'd love to see this in bulk....could say the same for all H&H Marquee, however.

Hey Russ, you're doing it right!

Pipe Used: MM cobs & Stanwell HCA I

Similar Blends: Sutliff 1849, Anniversary Kake.

Medium Vaper with a light Vanilla topping. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of vanilla on my tobacco, gives a great scent, but I find it distracting. In this case, the topping gives a slight "bitter" background to the smoke. After a month, the Vanilla subsides and this becomes a much improved blend, however, I feel this burns hot and turns ashy .

I think many would like this blend , but by MY rating system, this only gets the 2 stars of " I won't buy again", too many other VaPers I like better and without a topping ..

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Dennis Frost Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dennis Frost (2)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Just want to add another +1 for this blend. This has become my standby - the tobacco I know I will enjoy when I can't really decide what to smoke. I have been on 3 trips recently, and I brought this one along on each. Great flavor and great smoke.

Age When Smoked: 6 Months

tomhlee99 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomhlee99 (2)

Versatile is a good way to describe this tobacco. I generally smoke Virginias, VP and English blends and Viprati is one of the VPs I smoke. Larry's Blend is an English that I also smoke. I enjoy them both on their own but on occasion I mix the two for something all together different...very nice. Viprati is like a little hot sauce for a spiceless Larry. Give it a try.

Pipe Used: Medium size straight briar

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (65)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A singular VaPer. Absent of spice, this one is all sweetness. Great Va base, and the Perique here adds big fruit sweetness. IMO the single best thing Russ O. has made. If you took the best light Va ribbon you could find, and blended it with a fruit-y sweet Perique, you could not come up with this. It's absolute perfection as VaPers go, IMO.