The finest Orientals from Turkey and Greece blended with high grade Virginia tobaccos. Aged for months, and then added to a generous serving of unique Cyprian Latakia. The result is a flavorful, complex blend that stays consistent throughout the bowl.

Brand4noggins
Blended ByRich Gottlieb
Manufactured By4noggins
Blend TypeBalkan
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium
Otis56 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Otis56 (31)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Latakia, oriental Virginia, perique, what's not to love? This is a very nice blend. Packs easy, lights easy smokes really easy. Great taste and smell. A wee bit light for my personal liking. But a very good blend just the same. Peace.

Pipe Used: M. M country Gentleman

Similar Blends: ?.

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (35)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

The first thing I noticed when I opened the box was the smell - even sealed inside a plastic bag, it ponged. Later, the smell dissipated somewhat, but it still has a distinct leathery aroma, characteristic of Latakia. It is medium cut, a mixture of brown and black, like most lat blends. Taste-wise, it is pretty strong - not quite as strong as Sam Gawith's Commonwealth Mixture, which is a notorious lat bomb, but in that cricket pitch (ball park for Americans). The VA and Orientals round it out and give it body, so that it is well balanced. I can't agree with Otis56 that it is light - I think it is medium-bodied. All in all, a wonderful smoke if you like strong lat mixtures, not if you don't. Fortunately, I do.

Pipe Used: Blakemar Hungarian

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Sam Gawith Commonwealth Mixture..

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

4noggins - Northstar.

Quite a coarse ribbon mix that has equal amounts of black and brown. I don't notice anything unusual about the pouch-note: typical Balkan, and the moisture's just right.

For the first few puffs the Latakia's at the forefront of the flavour, but once the burn's settled the Orientals keep it grounded: they prevent any smoky/cedar qualities from ruling the roost. The Virginia gives a good amount of sweetness that's a little more noticeable than in a lot of Balkans; the others actually allow it to come through. The burn from Northstar's as good as anyone would want (I think), and the temperature of the smoke's cool.

The room-note's quite heavy, and the nicotine's pretty mild, for a Balkan.

This is a good blend but I'll only give it three stars as I like my Balkans to be a bit more heady.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Jake Hackert

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (52)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

As usual you have to dry it before smoking. Maybe it's my pouch that was wet. So, even very dried when I smoked it, the tobacco made some humidity. It wasn't overwhelming but not very pleasant. The taste is good : strong and smooth in the same time. That's why we like this type of blend... or not :) I recommend it anyway because it's not a bad tobacco. It's just a little wet for me but not unpleasant.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I can taste the Lat and Orientals, but no Virginias. The sweetness seems to be an addition. This is very woody with only a mild smokiness and, if not for the sweetness, would be extremely bland. The flavor reminds me of the taste you get when chewing on a pencil, minus the sweetness of course. I'm just not fond of this at all.

Mild to medium in body. Woodiness is medium. Added sweetness is very mild. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Dagner Poker, Country Gentleman, Marcus

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Bud_Harold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bud_Harold (22)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Got a sample of this with my last shipment. Hefty nose right outta the shoot. Lots of leather a little perfume. Came semi moist and ready to toast. Burns well with nary a relight after the first charring light. Some sweetness, smoky, a lil nutty. Very well balanced smoke. Not my favorite Balkan, but one that I'll keep on hand when I want something light. Well worth the coin.

Pipe Used: Cob