Kendal dark is the big and bold member of the kendal Shag family. Being the un-pressed version of Dark Plug and Flake, this tobacco carries a big nicotine hit, dark musky flavours and all the boldness. Thanks to the lack of sugar rich, flue cured leaf this tobacco is very smooth and cool to smoke. If you enjoy the traditional blends of dark fired with a hint of flue cured, this is a must for you.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith Hoggarth
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
CutShag
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant, Tolerable to Strong

Gawith Hoggarth-Kendal Dark Shag Unscented. When I got this I didn't really have high expectations for it, I thought to myself "I can see this being quite boring". Well, I have to state how wrong I was! OK, it has a simple taste that I guess a few may take as being boring but I much prefer the term steady as opposed to boring! When I took it from the pouch I noticed that as well as the Virginia aroma it gives off a subtle musty smell too. Once lit I have to disagree with the description where it states that it carries a big nicotine hit, it's noticeable with ease but I wouldn't say it was particularly big. I get no bite from this one, it's actually a pleasure on the pallet! I think that this would be a perfect choice for those whom like their tobaccos to be 'no frills' and deliver a basic smoke. Personally it just lacks something for four stars so I award it a very respectable three!

Pipe Used: Peterson Racing Green 221

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (183)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I wasn't expecting much but this Kendal Dark Shag was a revelation. The Virginias are there to mellow the strength and flavor of the dark Kentucky. Like a good Kentucky cigar, spicy and I could swear I tasted burnt gun powder on a few occasions. Perfect for a small or a shag pipe, the strength is between medium and medium to strong. A no fuss, simple tobacco that delivers satisfaction.