Look closely at the tobaccos in this blend and its quality is immediately apparent. Long strands of bright Virginias have been meticulously combined with bold, mahogany Burleys. The result is a rich and satisfying smoke.

BrandBugler
1.4
Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I opened a pouch of Bugler Blue pipe tobacco assuming it would be the same product as their RYO tobacco sold in gas stations all over America. In this regard I was mistaken, as the rough ribbon cut is very different than the shag-cut RYO. It's also lighter in color and a bit more dry than the RYO variety. The question, therefore, is not whether this is a pipe tobacco, but rather is this a good pipe tobacco. The answer, sadly, is no.

Bugler Blue burns hot and fast, much like its cigarette tobacco cousin. There are nutty burley flavors here, but only if smoked very slowly. There are also, however, some chemical flavors I associate with mass-market cigarette tobacco. Certainly not the worst of that sorry field, but a bit too much chemical taste to warrant mention as a recommended pipe tobacco. If I've got to baby the tobacco to coax out a bit of flavor, I would just as soon spend a few more dollars to buy a better, slower and cooler burning tobacco.

What Bugler has going for it is price and availability, and for those who enjoy a fast-burning, unflavored burley in their pipe, this may be a good choice at the price point. But even for OTC fare, I would opt for Sir Walter, Carter Hall, or a number of others above this if given the choice. This would probably be an excellent choice for those looking to the pipe in order to quit cigarettes. But please don't take this as an example of a quality burley pipe tobacco. As for the Virginia component, I don't taste it.

Room note, mouth feel, and smoke volume/consistency are all very 'cigarettish'.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (80)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable to Strong

I got this is a gift with an awesome pipe rack.

It is pipe tobacco, I thought it was handrolling tobacco. It tastes similar to the cigarette version that is nationwide mainstay. If you've never smoked it, it's a manly old time kind of smoke. John Wayne probably rolled it in Rooster Cogburn. My guess is the other fellas here don't like this bc they don't like the cigs. I smoked of a ton of the rollies in my high school years.

Kind of a thick shag cut. Smells like burley and maybe some Turkish. Golden and brown, like they say. Packs well enough lights easily. Burns a bit quick, but it may need some hydrating. Tastes like bugler, it's a unique flavor. It's burley and spice and a bit of tang. The tang is a little bitter at times. Like the cig blend, but deeper and def not for inhaling. The nic is there, more so than a lot of other otc blends. Burns hot if you puff at it, but dry and clean.

I tried it a small cob to taste it, and didn't think it was bad at all. In a bigger cob, it was a bit better. I feel like that may be the idea behind this stuff. Kind of mindless cob smokin kinda blend. That being said, I'm gonna try and do some blending with it. I will probably stuff a mason jar with this to keep in the shed for yard work time. Not sure if I would recommend this to someone who is not a handrolled cig smoker.

Pipe Used: MM Morgan

Purchased From: Gift

Similar Blends: Smokers pride.

One of our local pipe club members brought his pouch to a meeting maybe a year ago and some of us tried it. One fellow, who loves RYO tobacco amused us by trying to put this in one of his cigarette wrapping papers. The cut is definitely made for pipes, not cigarettes and he needed two papers and the wad looked out of whack. He did manage to smoke it but not without care and effort.... and that's the same way I smoked my bowl. I took care not to smoke too fast because this cheap Burley/Virginia combination burned hot and it was an effort (and not a successful one), to finish the bowl.

GLEN BURNIE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GLEN BURNIE (5)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I found that in a cob packed on the loose side Bugler pipe cut is not bad. Something about the cob takes away that hotness and chemical flavor. In any of my briar pipes it is exactly as described in the review by Perique.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: right after purchase

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Corvus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corvus (36)
Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

Perique has written the definitive review and I agree on almost all points. To quickly recount my experience I first bought this- foolishly, but out of ignorance and availability, rather than outright stupidity- about 13 years ago. I last bought this about 13 years ago. This was a failed experiment in learning pipe smoking, from which I barely recovered. This orangey shag burley is a mess. Flavor is lacking, so high on the hot air factor despite some strength. In French, the aroma is called eau de cigarette. The springy shag cuts invites the uninitiated to overpack and it will burn wet. The central thesis of the last review was that this is in fact a pipe tobacco, although an extremely poor example. Here is my question: Is Bugler best as? A) a roll your own cigarette B) smoked in a pipe C) as an absorbent material in the trash can D) tinder in the wood stove. I shall not dishonor this fine hobby by ever igniting this product again.