Originally manufactured in Ireland by Murray, and now manufactured in Denmark by Mac Baren. The new tin description reads "An easy smoking blend of fine Virginias and burley tobaccos, made the traditional way."

Notes: A light, berry-like top dressing applied that is evident in the smoke. The K&H website describes it as "pflaume" which is the German word for plum.

BrandPeterson
Taste

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Bought a tin and just rubbed out the whole lot on to a large piece of newspaper. Folded over and then left out for 24 hours. Next, into a jar and left in the dark for another full day. Third day, emptied back out on to the paper and left out again for 12 hours this time. Re-jarred her, except for a bowl's worth. Put the jar back in the dark. A bit more rubbing out and finally packed my pipe. As it's Peterson's, I decided to use my Irish Army 999. I made a fresh coffee and took myself to the shed. As the light was fading I lit a few candles and sat back in my chair. Always matches for me, light, tamp, light. Half an hour later and I'm in some kind of trance, staring at nothing, perfectly happy. A great thick 'proper' smoke with a wonderful dose of the 'N'. Which is why I came here. Another 30 minutes later and I'm still sipping away, wanting to get another drink but feeling like I am tattooed to the chair. I'm really enjoying this tobacco. A lot. Because of this brilliant site, I can make very informed choices of what I am gonna buy. I know what I like and I know what I don't. As the week goes on, I open the jar for an hour or so and then close her back up after removing what I need from it. This Flake just keeps getting better and better, rounder, fuller and slightly sweeter. I'm fully aware that our more experienced pipe smokers here don't need to be told of the wonders of allowing your 'baccy to age a little, with a few days extra curing etc., but if you're fairly new to the hobby, please give it a go. But don't use your tin, use a jar. And keep it in the dark. You will not be disappointed. Thanks for reading!!

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Finally tried this. I've been putting it off. But, after getting hit REALLY hard by Irish Flake lately I wanted to try what is billed as a lighter version. Lighter is right. You'll be disappointed if you are looking for deep tobacco with lots of variations. This is standard and traditional VA and Burley with a light casing of Plum just as the ingredients/marketing and reviews state.

With that said. I found this blend really tasty and a great add to my rotation. It does have a good does of Nicotine by the time I got to the bottom I was feeling it, but it's much lighter than Irish Flake. It's sweet and tasty, light and refreshing, smooth slow burning smoke. No dottle at the end, burned clean. Taste like it smells in the tin.

I let a flake dry about 4 hours and did a fold and stuff in my thick walled 309 Peterson Standard. The Va Burley combo works great together and you get the traditional tobacco taste and the fruity casing comes in and out but stays with you throughout. It also has a very pleasant aroma as the Plum revels itself there are well. Great blend. I have no complaints. I would buy this again. Great standard blend for a everyday smoke if desired. Recommended.

Pipe Used: 1942 309 Peterson standard

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin. 4 hour pre- air dry.

Purchased From: JR Cigars

The Virginias are earthy with a very light grassiness, mild citrus and stewed fruit, and an ever present hint of spice. The burleys are earthy, nutty, with a little molasses. It also has a slight toasty, woody quality. You can taste both varietals in nearly every puff, with the burleys occasionally being a little more prominent at times, especially in the last third of the bowl. The toppings have a light plum, but I notice the taste of fruity berries more often. After the half way point, it does diminish to some extent, but you'll taste it all the way through. The nic-hit is closer to medium than it is to mild, and seems to gain a little strength as you smoke away. The flakes are easy to manipulate as you please. Burns a little slow, and requires some relights, but not as many as you might expect. Won't bite even if you're a fast puffer, but I recommend a sipping pace to enhance the enjoyment the well balanced flavors. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Has a very pleasant after taste with a nice room note. An all day smoke that doesn't wear out its welcome during the day.

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (68)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you've read my other reviews, you may have noticed I love flake tobaccos. And this is no exception to that rule.

You'll open up this tin and find a relatively dark tobacco with smatterings of beige to light brown specs. And you may even take notice of a berry (guess it's actually plum) undertone. The flakes are cut very cleanly similar to Solani's ABF tin presentation (in relation to the cut).

Like most flakes they retain moisture very well so it would be a good idea to let this dry out for at least 20 minutes if not more. Now, I see both sides of the argument/preference. And that is; Do I do a roll and stuff my flake? Or rub out my flake? I've come to realize for my smoking tastes I usually keep it to a case by case (or flake by flake basis). Maybe it's the flavoring that has been added but I find this does not burn as well when rolled and stuffed. If you do decide to do that be careful not to tamp too often because it might pack too tightly and become difficult to tamp further. So for this flake I typically rub it out, which also helps with drying it out.

Now, Tobacco strength really is a relative concept. Some may consider this weak (and rightfully so when compared to so many other KO blends, and others may be floored by the vitamin N in this) so I think Medium to Strong is the best option for this. If you've found this website, you probably know your limits so choose accordingly. Now for the person who is getting coming from Aromatic style blends, this can be very strong. Not necessarily as strong as the Irish Flake, but competent in its own right. I think it would be smart to eat something before you smoke this as the vitamin N is not lacking. I would also recommend having a drink handy for two reasons, 1. The nicotine might make knock you back a little and 2. The burleys in this blend can be quite strong. It definitely has that typically "Burley kick" that you hear about and the drink may help ease the feeling in your mouth/throat.

I really enjoyed the flavoring in this. It's not always present in every puff but when it does come into play, it works very well with the Burley and VA dichotomy. I think the plum (I think it's closes to a blueberry but tomato tomato ;) also helps the room note as it's nice than a typical VaBur stink haha.

I really enjoyed this tobacco and will usually keep some tins of this readily at hand. The Vitamin N doesn't bother me but I don't think I could make this an all day smoke because of said burley kick. I typically smoke this in my Peterson Donegal Rocky with the p-lip because I feel it helps alleviate some of the bite/irritation. If you're looking to test the waters of stronger tobaccos with a nice flavor, I think this would be a good starting point.

Pipe Used: Typically my Peterson Donegal 107(p-lip)

This review is from a non-aged tin. I plan to buy more and age it.

University Flake was, for me, a study in "halves". The first half of each bowl showed off the berry topping. Half of the time I moderately enjoyed this flavor and half the time it was annoying. I could easily do without it.

The second half of each bowl burned away the topping and the smoke was better off for it. The burley nuttiness and the light VA sweetness took over - or maybe the sweetness was the last remnants of the flavoring. Either way, the tobacco was tasty, full-bodied and satisfying once I got past the first half of the bowl. The tobaccos used were of obviously high quality and I'm not sure why they added the berry flavoring. I'd like to try it uncased. Perhaps some aging will settle it down. Still, this is recommended.

Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

This weed hits you like a ton of bricks from the very first light. The flake is just flat powerful and also just flat delicious!

If you want a pleasant, laid back smoke, I urge you to look elsewhere. This one commands your attention with its relentless waves of a sort of naturally sweet and strong Virginia flavor with the nuttiness of a quality Burley in the background.

Pipestud

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great VaBur flake with a mild fruit topping. The description says plum, and I will not argue with that, but it presents as "fruit" to me. This is a smooth and nicely balanced fairly "full" VaBur. The Virginias are slightly sweet and very smooth with some nutty burley to give it some depth. I don't get any Virginia citrus, but that may contribute to the plum flavor.

I did not get much complexity, but it is a solid smoke, and one I could smoke a lot of were it not for the price. At $8 for 50 g, this is about $72 a pound.

This is easy to recommend. If the description sounds appealing, you probably owe it to yourself to try a tin.

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (29)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I've been without this tobacco for quite a while, due to a shortage of all Peterson products in South Africa. I picked up a tin resently and this morning filled a smallish Old England with quite a long stem. Sipping it very gently, I experienced a delightful NEW tobacco! First half of the bowl, the sweetness of the virginias and casing were up front. Very enjoyable. The second half of the bowl brought forth the taste of the burley, nutty and almost like newly baked bread. In the past, I liked this tobacco, now I fell in love with it and will go back to our B&M for another couple of tins. If you want to smoke a burley but, like me, can't smoke it neat, get yourself a tin of UF. I promise, no one will ever regret it!

Pipe Used: Old England

Purchased From: Curiosity Hut

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Peterson - University Flake.

This was one of the first blends I reviewed, but when I re-read my review I didn't find it particularly 'helpful'. Having been smoking this as a very regular go-to I wanted to re-post. I'll also add it's been in my favourites list for ages and I can't see it going anywhere!

Of all the tins I've had I can't recollect any having an issue with being too wet or dry. A tin holds two rows of fairly thin, dark brown, flakes. I normally rub my flakes, but because of the thinner build U.F. would smoke easily if folded and stuffed.

University Flake takes the flame easily, and I adore the smoke. It's primarily the tobaccos', with the nutty Burley leading. The topping is evident, albeit mild at first and I'm unsure as to what kind of dark fruit it's from: plums, currants, dates, or berries?. It seems to strengthen quite quickly, it only takes a few minutes of being smoked, and that's where it seems more certain to be a currant topping; still no more than mild to medium at the very most, but a lot clearer. The flavour seems to have the same character throughout a bowl, once the burns settled and the fruit's strengthened. Bite? I've never had so much as a peck from it!

I've always enjoyed the room-note, and the nicotine's medium.

Simple: highly recommended.

Pipe Used: All, over the years!

Age When Smoked: New and cellared

Purchased From: Many suppliers, mainly My Smoking Shop U.K.

gtclark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gtclark (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Ohh this is some tasty stuff! A wonderful VaBur flake with a very pleasant berry-plum topping artfully applied. The topping is just strong enough to come through the background without masking the quality leaf. Smoke this slowly as it can get warm, but with good technique, you'll be rewarded with a very pleasant smoke. In addition, this flake packs a very satisfying amount of vitamin N, but not so much that novice smokers and lightweights should avoid the blend.

Similar Blends: Erinmore Flake.

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (54)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

In the tin a nice nutty smell from the Burley. Rubbed it out and produced a pleasant smell. On first light, a sweety berry taste was notable. Very pleasant tobacco. Drink a coffee with this blend as it is a relatively strong blend. Burley is clear but in a good balanced way. Further down the bowl, the sweetness of the berry / plum stayed with me.

dryseason91 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dryseason91 (6)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

A fairly burley-centric Vabur with just enough berry topping to lift the underlying Virginias and keep the burleys from growing monotonous. Impressively, the topping manages to be both crucial to the blend's character, yet subtle and unobtrusive - the overwhelming impression is of those earthy burleys set in relief by the tart Va sweetness. The older tin description lists Kentucky in the ingredients, and although it's no longer specified there's probably a touch of woody dark-fired in here. Definite nicotine kick. Inclined to be a bit rough around the edges, but good, flavorsome stuff nonetheless. For me, it's the superior of Peterson's two flakes.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Opening the tin I found very nicely sliced thin flakes all standing at attention as opposed to laying down like the SG offerings. I has thought that UF would be closer to Erinmore Flake IE: darker and stronger, but what I found is a mild-medium strength flake more along the lines of Macbaren Mixture Flake in both looks and strength. The blueberry topping is very restrained and I could not taste it in the smoke aside from perhaps a slight sweetness but I thoroughly enjoyed the tin aroma and was praised on the room note. UF is perfect for times when I cannot concentrate like driving or watching a movie etc, it practically burns on autopilot, not requiring multiple relights when it is given a little time to dry and the very thin flakes rub out easily to thin ribbons but if left in an unbroken flake and stuffed it still burns easily. I do believe this would make a perfect first flake for the neophyte since it is easy to light, easy to master the flake technique and will not bite do to over puffing or carelessness. I overpaid at my local B&M but I knew that going in, I like to support them... but UF can be had for a song online and is worth every penny since it is an excellent mild-medium Vir-Bur and ranks up there with my favorites! Delightful and a must try!

Interesting I see Pipestud did not like this flake one bit where I thought this flake would be right up his alley. Perhaps they changed the recipe since 2002?...I don't see what's not to like in this Virginia / Burley Flake

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Mixture Flake.

newmystic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmystic (4)

I love this flake. For once I can taste the plum topping and it is delicious. I liken the flavor of this to "toasted plum" This is the first non-lakeland flake that I will finish the tin in two weeks and quickly order more. If you have a couple tins lying around and you know your not going to finish them, Ill trade you my tin of Nightcap on the spot.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dunmore

Age When Smoked: 46

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

ThePipeMonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePipeMonk (11)

I bought a tin from the Peterson Importer in India to see if this blend was worthy carrying on my website. I was not disappointed.

First light: Floral hint in the smoke, the olfactory note is perfect !! The virginia are perfect, grassy, sweet, albeit a little too much because of hte sweet casing. It's written as plum but I have always tasted fruity berries from the blend. The burleys are present in the background with a subtle hint. The tobacco smokes slow and makes you savor every puff and exhale.

True light & first half: The light went out after the first 5 minutes, the relight brought out more intense flavors from the flake all at once. It's pretty fantastic to be able to taste berries, the Virginia hay and the bready Burleys all at once. It's a harmonious experience with all the ingredients giving each other space to shine !!

University flake is woody, nutty, fruity and grassy. The plum/berry topping keeps the smoke interesting by pushing the Virginia forward and not letting the burleys make the experience one dimensional. There is also a hint of dark fired, subtle but definitely there.

As far as strength is concernced, YMMV. It starts out as mild and grows in intensity barely kissing the medium scale as you approach the first third of the bowl.

First Half: Upon reaching the first half of the bowl, the Virginia give a more leeway to burleys to come out. The bready nutty Burleys slowly work their way to the front. Each puff still quite delicious although the Virginias are now slowly fading to the background. The aroma and taste of berries is still there, which is surprising as typical VaBur blends tend to get harsh at this stage. Not this blend though !! Each puff is still tasty as the next one.

Second half: This is the part where the blend is the most intense as the natural oils in the tobacco comes out, the smoke is a tad bit stronger to the nose. The Virginias have completely mixed with the Burleys giving the smoke an incredibly toasty profile.

Last third: As you approach the last third of the smoke, you may want to gently get the ash out of your pipe, as it starts giving out an ash taste. Also it makes relighting better otherwise you may end up heating up the leaves unnecessarily.

Conclusion: A very interesting and delicious blend. The journey was fantastic. I will definitely be stocking up on Uni. Flake.

Highly recommended for people who dislike goopy aromatics but would love to try something sweet.

White ash with minimal dottle.

Pipe Used: Peterson 406 Prince

Purchased From: Peterson Importer

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very enjoyable smoke, thick white smoke throughout the bowl, with a wonderful flavor that reminds me of warm bread. The Burley and the Virginias work well together and give a most satisfying bowlful.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I love Irish pipes, and very much like Peterson's Sherlock Holmes mixture, so I thought I was in for a treat. I was disappointed.

The appearance of these somewhat rough-cut slices is identical with Dunhill's Light Flake (both are, of course, elaborated by Murray Sons & Co. in Belfast), but the flavour is nothing like it. There is a light topping (cherry?) that one does not taste in the actual smoke.

Have you ever had one of those English tea biscuits that are so semi-sweet that they are, in fact, not sweet at all? That is what the dark-red virginia tastes like here. Like a Bath Oliver bikkey. That would be very nice, if Mssrs Murray had not chosen to shovel in the burley to preserve your and my tongues! This is not a Virginia flake, this is a burley mix!

Thinking to avoid the opprobrium of actually having come up with a Mac Baren style creation, they then put in some Kentucky, [i.e.: dark-cured...BURLEY!] leaf for body. The grey, dusty blandness of burley dominates this blend. No finish, no depth, just...burley.

A quality product for all that, recommended to all burley lovers, of whose number I am not.

Black Sheep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Sheep (25)

I really enjoy this blend and have begun building a modest stockpile. The "light, berry-like topping" is very light indeed, but it's in there and a makes University Flake a really interesting and tasty smoke.

Pipe Used: Billiard

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.Com

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (52)

The closest I will ever come to going to university.

nice even sized flakes, again this was a gift from a friend with 10 years age, flakes are a little on the dry side but it makes for easier rubbing out and filling, some nice Virginia sweetness along with a nuttiness from the burley which works really well with the fruity topping.

smoking is rather pleasant for a flake it is quite mild and is a good "thinking man's" smoke. even though my flakes are quite dry it burns at a pretty slow rate. An interesting observation from myself is when I was smoking this I got quite similar flavours to amphora full aroma.

it is a nice flavourful smoke with a decent amount of complexity, it's topping is easily distinguishable but it doesn't drown the true tobacco flavours.

Can bite if pushed too hard but taken slowly it is a rather pleasant smoke and it's mildness is refreshing for a flake, as sometimes when I fancy a flake tobacco i dont want a powerhouse blend, excellent to smoke any time of day and will make a good starting point to any pipe smoker that wishes to try flakes for the first time.

room note is great a nice fruityness that never overpowers so shouldn't offend most people.

All in all a great tobacco from Peterson which will serve the experienced smoker well and will also give a good guiding hand to less experienced smokers.

3 and a half stars

Pipe Used: falcon

Age When Smoked: ten years

the_dalai_lama_himself Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_dalai_lama_himself (43)

Tin note is that of the grassy virginias and blueberries. Some sweet stewed fruit (plums) and the virginias are the main attraction. Smokes enjoyably warm and is well blended with some roundness. Burley pokes its head up every once in awhile and lends some body to the blend just enough that you know it's there. I Find it enjoyable, Tastes like a moist blueberry muffin at times. And some spice on the retrohale. Not my usual type of smoke but for what its trying to do I'd give it 3.5 stars. The flakes break apart easily and after a little drying time packed well. No burn issues and minimal relights can get hot though touches on soapy at moments but doesn't ever get unenjoyable. The flavoring I find medium BC it's apparent in every puff but not obnoxiously.

Pipe Used: MM Patriot short bit.

Purchased From: B&M

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a really great tobacco. the VA/Bur is just right, the topping is delicious and perfectly done. Not too little, not too much. Chemistry is just right, not weak or overpowering, just right to relax and "take the edge off".

The problem I have with this flake is not so much the fault of the flake but my impatience and reluctance to spend the time to properly prepare the tobacco for the pipe. It is wet in the tin and substantial drying time is needed to get the required moisture for optimal burn. When I try to rub it out it just ends up a mess everywhere and when I cut it a get a bunch of dense cubes that wont stay lit for long. It's just my technique or lack of. I'll have to try rubbing out the entire tin and drying it all before smoking. I got to make this tobacco work because I like everything else about it.

If University flake came ready rubbed it would definitely be a four star favorite for me.

Pipe Used: grabow, cobs

Age When Smoked: 0-12 mmonths

Purchased From: PandC

Ash K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ash K (12)

This is what I can consider to be an all day smoke. Across the board, I find it to between mild and medium, not to say its a bad smoke. On the contrary, it is one of my go to blends.

I've tried both rubbed out and fold and stuff method, and I think it has to be sufficiently rubbed out and dried to get more of the subtle flavours that this blend presents. Also smoke it slow, because I've tried different methods of smoking and they all give different results. Be patient and you'll be rewarded.

I find it full bodied, lightly sweet in taste, with a nutty and earthy presenting itself as you go through the bowl. Not too hard to keep it alight, and room note is quite pleasant. Vitamin N is sufficient for me, though it can be a wee bit strong for others.

Pipe Used: Peterson 80s

Th3Budd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Th3Budd (1)

I'm fairly new to pipe smoking and due to its ubiquity in Canada have been mostly smoking Brigham aromatics (do they make anything that isn't an aro?) and have been quite disappointed by the wetness, aftertaste and inconsistency of their products.

I recently purchased a tin of Peterson's Irish Whiskey and was blown away by the difference in quality. I then found this site and started reading reviews of what to shop for at my local tobacconist. This led me to UF and my first flake.

Great aroma in the tin. A little moist. I let a flake dry for 15 minutes before folding and stuffing.

Wow! What a pleasure!

Mild but not underwhelming.

Artfully flavoured to bring forth the berry/plum without assaulting the flavour buds.

A nice little kick of vitamin N at the beginning.

Smoked slow and it burnt cool, though the bottom of the bowl at the fold got pretty hot.

No tongue bite and no soapy aftertaste. Aftertaste is of blueberries.

A bit of moisture in the bottom of the bowl but no doddle whatsoever (have set aside some flakes to experiment with drying time).

Only required to be relit at the halfway point and near the bottom.

Flavour was consistent throughout, though as other reviewers have commented it became 'nuttier' in the second half.

Though I am newish to pipe smoking I was previously a 3 pack a day cigarette smoker so I do tend to smoke 5 bowels a day. Will definitely purchase again and add to my daily rotation, and seek out other Peterson products.

Pipe Used: Brigham Chinook

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Can't add much to what the other reviewers have said really other than to reiterate that this is a very nice VABur (more of a BurVA to my thinking) that is worth your time. The plum topping is well done, not over powering. I know it will turn some off, but it really doesn't get in the way of the tobacco taste. It accents it nearly perfectly to my way of thinking and is present throughout the smoke, pleasantly sweet and fruity.

The blend tastes equally well folded and stuffed or rubbed out. This is the first flake I've had any luck folding and stuffing. Maybe that's a characteristic of the blend or maybe I'm finally getting the hang of it, don't know.

Nicotine in this is on the strong side. It won't overwhelm you unless you have a low tolerance, but you will notice it.

Pipe Used: A pair of Dunhills that mostly see VA blends

Age When Smoked: tin fresh

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar Co.

raybrown55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raybrown55 (27)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I usually smoke EM, Virginia and aromatics, so this blend, burley based, has been to me a change of pace. And I liked it very much: the marriage between the nutty taste of the burley and the delicious plum casing is fully successful. Here in Italy this tobacco is higly priced, but when I have the time to go in Switzerland, I’ll buy more of this.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Autograph

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I don't understand the active hate this blend gets.

Its a little disappointing. I thought this was going to be Irish Flake with some aro-elements added. It kind of it, but the plum casing just doesn't fit as well as it could.

Sinclair's Highland Slices is so much better at doing what this is trying to do, I think they need to reformulate the plum.

Even with that said, its a very nice and rich smoke. All of the Irish Flake components are there and are well shown, and the plum is not unpleasant, just not what it could have been.

ing.poparadu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ing.poparadu (14)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Speaking as a newcomer in the pipe smoking business, this is the best tobacco I have had so far.

One flake per day is a reasonable amount for an enthusiastic beginner in search for the perfect blend.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Danske Club 84

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin, 2 hour dried

Purchased From: JPB tobacco

John Frum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
John Frum (17)

For me this flake is simply OK. I had no trouble finishing the tin and there were some "in the Zone" smokes, but am not sure if it is a keeper. Perhaps it's the way it seems to sit on the fence bordering aros and strong flakes? Otherwise I found it pretty well-behaved. Somewhat recommended.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nicely prepared flakes ~1 3/4"x 3"x1/16" that are a bit moist to my preference from the tin. I used the fold and pack technique and easy lights resulted in a cool, slow burning smoke without any bite. Although a sweet smoke, I really didn't feel the advertised plum flavoring was overpowering and thought that the VAs were in just the right balance.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (93)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This stuff is a very nice VaBur with a similar topping to that of Royal Yacht. Very nice, tasty blend that smokes cool all the way down. I wouldn't recommend for a beginner for the mere fact that if didn't like it when I was a beginner. Yes the topping can be a little too much for some folks but I think of it as a well put together aromatic flake tobacco and I enjoy it as a good change of pace treat to be smoked from time to time as apposed to a daily smoke. Very good for what it is but I prefer 3P's and Irish Flake in the Peterson line up.

Edit* I've got to go back and edit my initial review of this as my palate has since changed. I was a novice when I first tried this and I would definitely recommend it to those who what to work their way into the world of flakes. The berry note is just a little too much for me now but I do still enjoy this from time to time. In the review above I said it's topping is similar to that of Royal Yacht... well, that is not true, it's a very different topping and more candy-like than RY, I don't know how I originally came up with that assessment. Overall it's a decent flavored flake tobacco but I tend to veer more towards a certain style of scented tobaccos and this one just doesn't fit my fancy as an all day, every day.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

I've always enjoyed this flake, from the top of the topping to the bottom of the bowl.

With most flakes...in fact with just about any tobacco...I tend to fill a few pipes and smoke them the next day, giving the tobacco plenty of time to dry sufficiently. This seems to give me pretty well trouble-free puffing and University Flake rewards such preparation with a meaty, fruity at first then full bodied smoke.

Seems appropriate too tonight, as my daughter has just got a 1st in English from the University of Leicester:-)

I am a happy dad.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

one of my best flakes for now,,well burned and the best V/B marriage from petersons long lasting with natural sweetness truly gud tobacco tht i would recommend for those whom want to enjoy complicated moving tobacco but cear to the buds,,craving for more

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I love how divisive this blend has been for the reviewers here. It sort of reminds me of a T.S. Eliot poem I studied in a smokeless room at University... Ah, never mind.

Taken at face value, this is a lightly cased blend of various Virginias with a little bit of Burley squeezed in to take away the sheen of gentility. The forest berry topping is mild in the tin. Though I'm not a committed smoker of aromatics, I certainly do enjoy that class of tobaccos on occasion. The thing that is most appealing about UF is that the berries are plenty subtle enough to miss at various times during a bowl. I have the luxury of smoking while working at my desk and when I'm focused on my work, I feel like I'm smoking a straight Virginia. When I kick back and ponder and wander, those little wild berries pop up and smile. When I'm tired, the Burley bats the beast off my back.

I think this could have been called Chameleon Flake.

Not that it matters, of course. This is high quality tobacco blended by someone with a deft and light touch. If I had to choose just one baccy for all time, this subtle number would definitely make the short list.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Honestly, I did not like this tobacco. Though it is visually very attractive, it does not smell or taste of Virginia. Then again, it does not smell or taste of Burley either. It is a strange combination of Virginia, Burley and, apparently, some Mahogany (i.e, an old belt dark Virginia which I have tried in other blends, and like very much for its toasty and slightly bitter taste), but the final result is not that successful. Something went wrong in the process: perhaps the tobaccos are not properly matured or pressed, perhaps that mysterious casing or topping (which other reviewers refer to but no one seems to be able to pin point) annuls the natural tobacco oils? The point is that, IMO, University Flake smokes dry, leaving a rather stale aftertaste, and the odd feeling that the tobaccos that went into its making evaporated somewhere along the packing-smoking procedures, eschewing the particular flavours of its three main components. The flake is difficult to rub out, difficult to pack, and difficult to keep lit?It does, however, get you thinking?.What exactly am I smoking?

Hurdski Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hurdski (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This the most satisfying, delicious tobacco I've smoked in my 30 some years with a pipe. I have never dumped a bowl halfway through or grown tired of it and wished the bowl was done. My problem is smoking it too enthusiastically, drawing too deeply probably and really hosing my lungs. But it is so enjoyable. The flavor, the aroma, and the nicotine. I think because of the greedy way I smoke it I rarely have to re-light. For me, the best flavor is keeping it moist and simply doing a fold and stuff. Obviously, our unique palates and experience determine what suits us and for me, it's the best I've smoked.

Pipe Used: Missouri meershaum, savinelli briar

Age When Smoked: 57

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

In my opinion this is one of the best flavored blends I have ever smoked. It is from the side of the tobacco taste rather than on the aromatic side. I mean that the flavoring is very mild and the tobacco taste is leading. I don’t taste plum, but a very light aroma, not well defined. The taste is full and satisfying, rich and well-rounded. Not exactly for aromatic lovers, but rather for natural tobacco lovers. In my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) my score is more than 9 and three and a half stars.

dave and a bunch of numbers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dave and a bunch of numbers (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

As with all the tobaccos I try I like to avoid reviews and descriptions until I try it. Kind of like a blind taste test. This tobacco was a gift from my youtube friend Gribly. The flake came sort of on the drowned rat side. But after a vigorous rubbing out it packed and lit beautifully.

The tin note was perplexing at first however, after a bit I picked out the berry\plum notes. The burly was a bit over powered by the Virginias but still detectable. As for the mechanics, it was too wet to fold and stuff but after rubbing out and drying for 20 minutes it lit wel and had very few relights. The flavour of the casing was right up front in the first half of the bowl. But with careful sipping it faded to a lovely underpinning to the rich burly. The fruit casing did not give any bite, but this may be more in part to the church warden I used. It burned to a clean whit ash and no unburnt residue.

Pipe Used: hand made purple heart church warden

Purchased From: gift

The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (41)
Medium Mild to Medium Very Full Tolerable

My experience with the plum of Royal Yacht left me pensive about trying University Flake which I had read also had some sort of a plum casing. I'm glad I finally broke down and tried it.

University Flake definitely has a plummy note in the background, though what really comes out is a dark fruit type of flavour you associate with richer and darker tobaccos. In a way, one might consider it having a cigar like quality, but I am not a cigar smoker so I'll leave it to others if that's the case.

The blend is strong in taste, though not strong in nicotine in my opinion. It doesn't leave you with that nicotine "buzz" that something like Nightcap or 1792 does -- though it's not entirely absent either.

So if you're after a deep, rich tobacco flavour but without the heavy buzz, this would be a good choice.

Lazarus77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lazarus77 (87)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Really good flakes, respect for Peterson. Bit stronger tobacco and it's perfect for winter time smoke, almost full taste giving a lot of satisfaction during all smoke.Definetlly will buy again and highly recommending for all pipe smokers.

Pipe Used: Edison old briar

Purchased From: Local store

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I have no idea why I haven't reviewed this tobacco before. I first tried it in 2008 and have finished several tins since then,,, emptied completely with relish.

Now to begin,, this is a VA dominant blend with all the grassy-haylike-creaminess VA lovers expect. The burley is there and comes through a bit more mid-bowl, but stays in the background. Along with being bite-free,, this blend has an evasive top note of some kind perhaps a ever so slight berry flavoiring,, ?? But it is easily ignored if one is averse to aromatics. This is certainly not in the aromatic genre, but could be appreciated by aromatic as well as English and straight VA fans.

I'm surprised the composite score here is less than 3 stars. I give it 4 without hesitation. This is a classic, well done, quality tobacco that all pipe smokers should try at least once,,, as much as NightCap, Frogmorton, Christmas Cheer etc.... some of the other giants of our hobby.

Moisture content is perfect every time, a bit dry, which I love,,, I don't like to wait for my smoke while a damp tobacco dries on a plate. Also,, this is not a weak tobacco mind you,, there is real tobacco strength and flavor here, a solid, satisfying smoke..

I will always keep a tin of University Flake on hand...

Good Draw to You,,, Cheers!! :)

Glorfindel

Pipe Used: Peterson Christmas 2016 Full Bent

Age When Smoked: New tin,, never lasts long,,, LOL :)

Similar Blends: VA flakes,, Dunhill,, Orlik etc..

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (101)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked University Flake when it was made by Murray's in Ireland and it was a most exquisite tobacco. It is now made by MacBaren, and I have to say, what a good job they have done. The flakes are not as thick as they were but none the less they are spot on. As with most blends, open the tin and give it several hours drying time. The flavoring is plum and goes quite well with the wonderful tobacco taste. All the way to the bottom of the bowl this tobacco is a real treat. Mellow, slight dark fruits (plum) and rich Virginia and Burley. Quite good with a nice nico lift.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Bent bulldog. Porto Cervo smooth.

Age When Smoked: new.

Purchased From: Tinder Box store.

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Thin flakes in presentation. Easy to rub out or just fold and stuff. More aromatic than 3P. The flavor is bright and sweet, but chemically sweet. Not like it at first but it could grow on you after several bowls.

Roger Xavierq Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roger Xavierq (34)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really love this flake, but this is not an everyday smoke for me.

Nice presentation and pretty little tin. The tin opens to reveal dark, reddish-brown slices of a dry, easy-to-crumble texture. The first few puffs and their sidestream smoke can deceive with their sweetness. However, the experience of a high-quality burley smoke kicks in rapidly and takes over. The aromatic flavouring here is present, but the gutsy tobacco taste is even more important as it deepens and mellows out while smoking. Towards the end I can feel the strength and gentle spiciness . For me this is tobacco-lover's tobacco.

This flake is built on the dense, nutty flavor of matured burley and the result is quite successful. Slow- and dry-burning with lots of body, I especially enjoy this as a relaxing late-night smoke or after a good steak. The room note is musty and sweet and my girlfriend seems to like it.

Pipe Used: no name French briar with meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 2015

Purchased From: Danish Pipe Shop

Similar Blends: Edgeworth Sliced.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good tobacco that I could see one enjoying as an all day smoke. It didn't knock my socks off, but was good enough to earn three stars.

The flake is a beautiful dark flake that is quite moist, but easy to rub out. Smells of earth, leather and berries from the tin.

It was quite moist and definitely needed some drying time. I tried a few bowls straight from the tin as well as letting a few flakes sit out for over 24 hours to dry. It was difficult to keep lit when smoking directly out of the tin, but the dried out flakes were easy enough to get lit and remained so during the smoke.

I would describe the flavors coming from the following components percentage-wise, as such: 60% dark burley, 30% Virginia, 20% berry/plum topping. The burley's are rich, smokey, a bit nutty, and robust. The virginias are present but more subdued that I expected. The flavoring is noticeable, however, not overpowering and do a good job to round out the strength of the smoke. This flake has a kick to it, but not as strong as Irish flake. I would say that this flake reminds me of Irish flake, but a bit less strong, more well rounded, and a step or two up on sweetness. There are notes of earth, leather, and savory spice that play off of the sweet virginia and berry flavors. Quite an enjoyable smoke. It reminds me of Classic Burley Kake, in the sense that, one can just load the pipe, smoke, and enjoy without thinking too hard about the tobacco. Some blends are contemplative and take your full attention to discern and enjoy each of the nuances....at least in my experience. This is one that you can just fire away, sit back, and enjoy the delicious, and moderately strong, smoke.

Great job Peterson!!!

Pipe Used: Cob, Billard

Age When Smoked: 6 months aged

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Navy Flake.

Leeboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leeboy (20)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

I was really excited to try this stuff as I'm a fan of Irish flake. Its simply horrible. Its bitter, scortches the tongue and throat and is not cheap either. It was soaking wet in the tin so loads of drying is needed. I've had three bowles and cant be bothered to put myself through it again. I've tried many tobaccos over the last year and this is the only one I'm going to bin. It could be a bad tin I don't know but I definitely won't buy this again.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: smoke king uk

JHC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JHC (5)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

ive had this tin sitting around for a while now and keep breaking out the odd flake here and there when the mood takes me. I'm sad to say though that these occasions are rarely fuelled by a feeling of fancying a bowl of this particular baccy and more motivated by a belief that I really ought to give it another chance to prove itself. So far none of the experiences have convinced me that I'll ever buy another tin. It's not a bad tobacco by any means... It smokes particularly well in my Nording freehand when a complete flake is roughly rubbed and allowed to smoke slowly over a good half hour or hour. It also helps to dry the tin for quite a while. I've worked it into my desired state in a few one hour periods, simply leaving the lid of the tin off but the card inner packaging still folded over to control airflow slightly. When first opened I would say it is far too wet. After three or so hours of air and a month to even out it seems to be far more well behaved. There's a nice tobacco flavour, I'd say more Virginia than burley, and not much sweetness to it. The casin flavour (apparently plum) jumps in and out and is slightly evident in the room note. My major gripe with this flake is the lack of depth! I like sweetness when it's slow and easy and builds up softly on the palet and you don't get much of that with University. The flavouring too doesn't really dance on the tongue as I'd expect a good fruit to, it bites the tip of the tongue somewhat and hots the back of the mouth. There's nothing "bad" to the experience of smoking this blend. In fact I would recommend buying a single tin, letting it breath and settle for a while, then enjoying a whole flake rubbed into a good deep bowl. It just doesn't stand out from the crowd at all. The nicotine level is good and my favourite thing about University Flake is the pleasant mellow feeling derived from slowly rolling though a good pipeful. Try it... But only if you can grab a tin in passing... Don't go out of your way for this one.

Pipe Used: Nording freehand

Age When Smoked: two months

Purchased From: j j Fox

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (76)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very nice full flavored flake. In the tin it looks the same as Erinmore. However, unlike Erinmore which has a fruity topping, this University Flake has a deep plum flavor added. I find the plummy flavor (which stays at in distance in the background) compliments the deep tobacco flavors very nicely. Although a little moist, the flakes can simply be folded or lightly crumbled. This tobacco delivers handsome clouds of medium to strong flavorsome smoke, lasts a very long time, and burns to a reasonably clean ash. Anyone who likes fairly full flavored tobacco and prefers flakes for a long smoke full of concentrated flavor should give this tobacco a try.

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Sniffle, sniffle. Many years ago, before the brute Irish Flake was born, this was a fantastic tobacco with some balls, a nice gentle, berry, top note and some wonderful nutty burley undertones, no longer. This is a mere shadow of what it used to be, an imposter, a wuss and a wimp. Not only has the flavor profile gone completely kooky, I simply don't even recognize this, no depth, no strength. Oh yeah, and I hate the fat square tin. Aside from the muscle lost they even gave IF the cool as hell rectangle tin. (Wagging finger) Bad Peterson, Bad! A true Bastardization. TPOPHCTDUA

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I can't believe that I haven't tried this one sooner. I love Irish Flake, but sometimes I'm in the mood for something a little "softer" in flavor. I picked up a tin of this, and I'm sure glad that I did. Upon opening the tin, I got an immediate sweet aroma (unlike an aromatic aroma, however). It was sweet with a hint of berry to it. I broke the flake up and let it dry for about an hour before packing it into my Peterson 999, which I have dedicated to nothing but VA flake tobaccos. It packed well, and it only took one match to light. The initial light produced a slightly acrid berry flavor, but that quickly dissipated after the 3rd or 4th puff. It smoked slow and cool all the way down to the bottom of the bowl.

The nicotine content was less than its dark-fired cousin, Irish Flake, but still very present. It isn't a complex tobacco, and it wasn't designed to be one. The burley adds a slight nuttiness to the otherwise sweet VA's, and the topping/casing is not overpowering. If anything, the casing makes this blend from being boring and sets it apart from other VaBur flakes. I won't smoke it everyday, but it's a great change of pace.

I might add

Pipe Used: Peterson 999

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin air-dried 1 hour

Purchased From: JR Cigars, Statesville, NC

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (26)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

University flake is a high quality tobacco without the kick of Irish Flake. The flakes are presented very nicely in the tin and can simply be folded and stuffed or rubbed out. I really like this tobacco and as with all the other Peterson offerings it does not disappoint. Peterson has made tobacco an art form and the more variations I try, the more I want to try. I have not had a bad tobacco from Peterson.

Pipe Used: briar

Age When Smoked: right out of the mailbox

Purchased From: smoking pipes

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A nice VaBur with a light berry (more like berry than plum) topping. The Virginias are sweet and add very little else to the mix. The Burley has a strong presence and is nutty and earthy. Obviously good quality Burley. The topping tends to fade as you get deeper into the bowl. A very pleasing smoke.

Body is mild to medium. I suspect those that are rating this as strong are referring to nicotine content. Flavor is medium. I prefer this well dried. Comes slightly moist. Burns very well when dried. Enjoyed this and will buy again.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It occurred to me that I had yet to review this blend, though I referenced it in a review of Erinmore Flake.

Inevitably the two will be compared, so I would describe this as very similar to EF, with a less pronounced flavoring; more straightforward, pure plum vs Erinmore's "juicy fruit" melange of flavors; and a bit stronger tobacco flavor - not anything like Irish Flake but bolder than EF. Slightly less heavily cased than EF, which may appeal to those who prefer less aggressive toppings.

The flakes come a bit damp and will benefit from being set aside to dry. I rub most of my flakes out, which limits drying time on this one to 15-20 minutes or so.

Nearly everything else has been said in previous reviews. I find University Flake a very pleasant tobacco with solid backbone for such a sweetly flavored smoke. No bite, much smoother than Irish Flake, and - while indeed similar - distinct enough from Erinmore Flake to make for endless comparison and debate - my suggestion is to try both and and make up your own mind. While I have a preference, I continue to enjoy both.

I also recommend this blend to aromatic smokers looking to "cross over" into more flavorful tobaccos.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

To each their own for this one. The smell out of the tin is quite nice. The Flake itself was easy to work with and rubbed out easily. I was not that big a fan of the smoke itself, I'm not going to be giving it away just yet though. No real discernable flavours that I could tell when smoked. I'll give it a whirl again sometime, but not rushing to do so.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

University Flake claims to have a plum scent, but after many tins I don't see the connection. There is a unique topping but I disagree with those that refer to this flake as an aromatic. I would call this scented in a similar fashion to Gawith Hoggarth scented flakes. The Burley seems to carry the weight of this flake and as a result, it's on the strong side. It arrives a bit moist and a little drying time won't hurt. I prefer to rub it out, but UF smokes well either way. As others have pointed put, it is a love or hate blend. I find it a nice change of pace from VA or Vaper flakes.

Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

First off, after reading the previous reviews and the tin description, I must say that I probably got a somewhat different tobacco; while KY and flavouring have been mentioned before, the tin I got was pure VA/Burley with possibly a touch of Perique, without any trace of flavouring or topping detectable.

It's delicious anyway. The tin contained small, edge-on slices of a golden-brown mottled plug, the tin aroma being of very sweet VA with enough spice in the aroma to make it interesting.

My first attempt was my usual flake smoking style, folding a slice into the bowl and lighting it. While it burned down to the bottom, I had to re-light frequently, the taste was not much, and the aroma never developed.

Thinking I might have made a mistake there -- this tobacco seems to have been pressed pretty well -- on my second attempt I rubbed out a slice and a half and put the result into a tall, relatively narrow bowl. For the next two hours, I was pretty close to heaven.

Right at first, the taste is a little earthy, with some VA grassiness in there. At about half-time, sweetness takes over with a full complement of peppery spice and a nicely fresh sour note that does not kill off the taste. There are traces of prunes or dried apricots in the taste; the aroma is probably not exacly a crowd-pleaser, but good enough, and during the last half of the bowl, this blend develops power. Wow.

Each time I smoke this blend rubbed out, I get a good nicotine kick towards the end that leaves me satisfied for quite a while, with a beautiful candy-like aftertaste on the tongue, and so far, nobody has really complained about the room note either.

The bad thing is, this stuff is strong and peculiar enough that I think I could not have appreciated it ten years ago. I believe it could turn a beginner off smoking (or at least off smoking VA flakes), and needs a good amount of experience to be truly appreciated. So, beginners beware. For me, this is a total beauty.

-- Update 09-10-26: After getting somewhat used to this blend, I find I can make out a fruit/berries topping. Doesn't change a thing though. Still top notch.

Stonedsour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stonedsour (8)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

University flake is truly a blend you have to study!

With a blend this dark you can obviously assume this is a very earthy blend. That forms the base for this, and now for the studying. You can figure out the other flavours if you just think about it.

There are three other flavours you should find in your studies that beibg the nuttiness of the burleys, the plum/berry topping and a slight sweetness. The nuttiness comes through much more than the others and suits the earthy base quite well.

The plum/berry (not sure which one, I know it's advertised plum but not sure. Definitely a dark fruit) tastes alright, what taste you can get. I wish it came through more, maybe it's just the aro smoker in me but the tin note of plum smelled so nice. I wanted to taste that in the tin, but I was disappointed. The sweetness is largely associated with the topping, so very mild.

I was expecting a lot more, the plum really drew me to this but it just wasn't up to snuff. The earth and nuttiness is nice, if a bit strong but I felt like the plum could've done so much more. That's why it gets two stars, it's not a bad blend at its core, but it had the potential to be so much better.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I was looking for blends that would fit in the same pipe (to avoid unwanted ghosting and not wasting the pipe for one blend) as Peterson's 3Ps and Dunhill 221b Baker - so Virginia+Burley blends with a mild casing. After boiling down all the results that might fit my search query, there were Erinnmore and University Flake left.

Opening the lovely tin with it's classy and simple label (like all Peterson blends have; which I love very much) that comes in a bewitching deep blue color, I found a stack of neatly stacked flakes slices. A gently sweet, very (artificial, but pleasant) plumy aroma imediatly filled the room, very tasty tin note. Oddly, the condoms we have here in germany smell exactly the same..not reminiscent, no..EXACTLY! The slices were sticking together and are rather hard to separate.

Due to me being excited and therefore too impatient to try this flake I had to rub a flake slice of it out, beacause of the moisture content, which I'd describe as medium+. Normal for a flake cut - not wet, but not dry.

On first light I already knew I would like - no love - this blend! Whilst the plumy flavoring(casing?) dominates the tin-note, lighting some of University Flake up in a pipe reveals different. I instantly got hit by a intense burst of nuttiness, that's underscored by some decent earthiness. Just a hint of plum in the back in the first few puffs, which quickly became more intense, but never too much, never subdueing the tobacco, and also what I'd consider as "mild"! Yet it doesn't really taste like real plums in the smoke, more like a mix of berries! Full-bodied, yet very digestible, a decent share more gentle than its "brother" Irish Flake. The everpresent, yet mild plumy- and fruity undertone helps making it so digestible, while being rich and intense in it's nutty- and earthy qualities. The texture of the smoke is creamy, almost buttery. It's not the most deep blend (in terms of variety), but very palatable and far from being boring!

I find this to be very similar to Peteron's 3Ps! It gives me the same "you're smoking a traditional english blend like oldtimers would've smoked back in the days"-feeling, like 3Ps does. The rich and intense tobacco-aroma paired with a mild casing that's not subdueing the tobacco, but ENRICHING and underscoring the natural tobacco qualities. 221b Baker Street is also somewhere in the same alley, but with a more "dark" toned (maybe because there's dark fired in it) character.

The experienced pipe smoker will perceive this as rather medium-strenght, almost mild blend. Newer smokers, or pipe smokers who rather smoke more mild blends will perceive this as a rahter strong tobacco if not used to nicotine. So I'll settle for "medium to strong", but its more close to medium than to strong!

University Flake is a classy, full-bodied, yet digestible blend that has a lot of natural tobacco to offer and is underscored by the well done (flavor- and quantity-wise) casing! I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Burley/Kentucky-forward blends, and are looking for a medium-strenght, almost All-Day suitable blend to fill a gap in their rotation or are looking for top-notch blends to extend and enrich it.

I compared this one to it's "match" Rattray's Wallace Flake, you can read it in my review of Wallace Flake if you're interested.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipes / Various Briars

Similar Blends: In the same fashion like other "old english styled" blends like , Peterson - Peterson's Perfect Plug, Rattray - Wallace Flake (Flake Collection), Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) - Erinmore Flake, and very slightly like , Dunhill - My Mixture 221B Baker Street (Re-release).

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (34)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

A red/brown Virginia and burley flake. Very evenly and tidily pressed and cut in the standard STG/Danish/German style. Very little stalk if any.

The tin note has a definite aroma of tobacco and sweet plum, or maybe the tins of prunes in syrup I remember being served with custard in the 60s and 70s at school. Only the flake doesn't have the custard aroma to it, of course.

On smoking it burns well from the tin, the moisture level is what I'd expect from an old-fashioned British/Irish tobacco, it really needs little to no drying and too much drying changes it into a plum-free smoke something along the lines of Old Dark Fired, but without the characteristic tang of fire-cured Malawi leaf ODF possesses. Drying this one out much is to miss the point.

The flavour is excellent and consistent, with the plum present but not overwhelming, just adding a little something that complements the tobacco very well. It strikes me as not a "breakfast tobacco", too intense for that especially towards the end of the bowl, but otherwise makes a great all-day or evening smoke. A classic of its kind.

I have been informed by non-smokers that the room note is sweet and quite pleasant.

Pipe Used: block meer, Falcon, assorted briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: new up to 12 months

Similar Blends: Dunhill Royal Yacht, maybe.

riobrew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
riobrew (31)

A nice mild smoke. Love the plum in the background. Not overly cased. I rub out lightly and dry. Smokes to clean ash. Taste is Virginia and burley. Slightly sweetness.

Age When Smoked: Newish

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After going through about half the tin, I've found Uni Flake puzzling...not bad, but not that great.

The tin note is phenomenal. Plums and a little berry (blueberry?). It literally smells good enough to eat. My 9 year old son (resident tobacco sniffer and expert in tin note) agreed.

It is presented as neat clean and uniform flakes.

I'm getting best results with leaving the flakes out on a paper plate for 4 hours, then folding and stuffing. Yes, 4 hours. It doesnt feel wet in the tin at all, oddly enough. I tried leaving a flake out for an hour, and it still didn't taste right...I was gonna go 2 hours, but I forgot about it until 4 hours and it turns out that works, so I'm going with it.

The flavor I get is not at all what I expected. It's mainly a mild earthy taste, with just a hint of the plum topping on retrohale. Not unpleasant, just not what I expected. Smoking it right out of the tin leads that earthy musty taste to taste and feel unpleasantly wet (hence the long drying times I've been trying), though it does seem to burn ok and never gurgled. Anywho, I found the earthy flavor to be rather boring.

originally reviewed 3/9/2012

This was one of the first tobaccos I tried reviewing as a newbie piper, and I never revisited it. Maybe it was my newbie palate....because this sounds like something I would like, and I've thought of revisiting it, I've just never quite gotten around to trying it again.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This flake in interesting but not unique.when you crack the tin you see dark virginias with more earthy and grassy than citrusy flavours.a light topping of plum is detected also.rubs easy and needs half to an hour of drying for me.needs a few relights.burns medium to hot with a bit moisture.the flavours are mixed between earth forest fruits and grass.i get less plum than expected and the sweetness is pleasant.leaves a bit moisture at the end of the bowl and some tobacco is left at the end.doesn't burn to ass till the end.the nicotine level is medium if you go easy on that not an all day flake to me.in conclusion not something unique but not flat either.

Age When Smoked: Rubed and leave it to dry out a couple hours

doktorstamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
doktorstamp (11)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

How very remiss of me to not review a tobacco which numbers amongst my favourites. On opening the tin a smell not dissimilar to old fashioned christmas cake arises, and what joyful memories of childhood that awakes. It rubs out easily, though is best left to air for at least half an hour before packing, albeit it will take a light straight from the tin, I have found it best to air as stated. Almost from the word go it produces lots of heavenly smoke, the taste, teasing and tantalising, but always satisfying. A bowl or two of this is enjoyed several evenings each week; it is another that may, without fear of being stoned, be enjoyed in those areas now designated outside of our pubs for pursuit of our hobby. To state that I highly recommend this offering from Peterson seems superfluous.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kilarney #68

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 1 year or so old

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

Blake_Gibson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blake_Gibson (4)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

Easily my favorite tobacco at the moment. Smokes well in all of my pipes. Rubbed out, fold and stuff, cube... doesn't really matter. Flavoring is nice and wears off around halfway through a bowl leaving a very nice natural tobacco taste. Nicotine is a touch over medium depending on time of day. Will buy again for sure.

Pipe Used: Poker, cob, clay

Age When Smoked: 1 yr

Ahmad Othman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ahmad Othman (46)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the customary square tin of flakes you are grested with an earthy,fruity aroma resembling that of Erinmore flakes. But make no mistake. This is nothing alike. Maybe except in the generous amount if virginia in both. The flakes are well pressed and presented in a fashion worthy of Peterson name. It packs easily but I discovered that packing it as a flake makes it hard to light and keep lit. As it seems it was well pressed. So breaking the flakes as I did or rubbing it would be better. Once it is packed like that, it shone. Grassy, smoky virginias takes over with a little hint of nutiness at times and fruitiness at others. It is well rounded, all day virginia smoke. And I couldn't help to make the connection of this as a milder version of Davidoff Flake medallions

Pipe Used: Stanwell Deluxe Royal Danish tapered billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Similar Blends: Davidoff - Flake Medallions.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (102)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Despite it smells like plum pudding in the tin, IMO, Peterson’s University Flake is a real-tobacco gem, a first class take on a VA-forward, codger VA/Bur with just the right amount of plum and floral essence to soften it for a slow, meditative smoke. The VAs are mostly stoved, fairly deep and full, but they do have a little spicy kick, also some air cured leaf that brings sweetness, while the Burleys are full, rich, round and nutty without being too soft or too tannic. All in all, it’s a well-balanced smoke in the Old Tradition. Presentation is nice, two rows of uniform, dark flakes wrapped in white paper. They are soft and moist, and they handle well. I tend to crumble and smoke it right from the tin. It burns OK after a couple of false lights, perhaps a couple of re-lights, and I usually wind up with some dottle. Scents are lovely VAs and Burleys, along with just a hint of plum and something floral that’s a lot like Lakeland essence. Strength straight from the tin is more strong than medium, though drying abates this. Tastes are more full than medium. I find the room note to be pleasant. Aftertaste gets richer as it lingers, the best of the smoke.

I recommend UF as a 4-star blend for patient VA/Bur lovers.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: STG, fresh to 1 year

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Similar Blends: Civilized brother of 3P.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I enjoy this so much more than a regular Virginia flake such as OGS or PS luxury Navy. It has a better smell and a slight sweet topping that makes it a more enjoyable smoke The nic hit could be a little stronger which is why I prefer Irish flake to this.

Alessandro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alessandro (14)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Simply could not enjoy this tobacco. Tried several times and the last time could not, would not finish the bowl. Too peppery for me, and just didn't like the way it made me feel. Nicotine hit is strong, feel it in your throat. Smells of plum from the tin but taste more like an old heavy burning book.

I will certainly keep this tin as it deserves the respect to be tried again in the future, maybe I'll grow up to it. Till then... Happy Smoking.

I'm returning almost 1 1/2 years later to further review this tobacco. I remember it well after reading my initial review above. But having tried it today after having it sit in a masons jar since August of 2014 I can't agree with it. The only constant is that feeling in my throat that feels like a tightening... that I've learned is referred to as a ''catch'' in a smokers throat that is often caused by dark burley tobacco. It was present but not disturbing, that's were the similarities end. This tobacco contrary to my review above is mild to medium bodied, with a hint of plum. The nicotine level is medium and it does well with 2 to 4 hours of drying. It's clean and not over powering. It's a definite keeper for me and I look forward to exploring other burley blends.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

It took me 4 tries to enjoy University Flake. I really wanted to like it as I'm a considerable fan of Irish Flake, but the stars and moon have to be aligned just right for me to get into a bowl of this.

Prep - broke the flake into matchsticks and loaded vertically into the pipe, leftovers rubbed out into dust. Match, tamp, match.

I believe this tobacco needs serious drying out of the tin before it's really enjoyable. I also found the burn characteristics were much better in a meerschaum than in briar or cob, which were my previous 3 attempts with this particular tobacco.

Tin note is good, although slightly cloying. Heavy on the plum, and other dried fruit notes most likely from the Virginia (apricot?).

Char is very "burned fruit" forward. Sourness comes next, it's got a lot of sweetness upfront and a sourness that is very aggressive. There are times where I do get a really decent draw and a great, warm rich tobacco flavor (almost a mild cigar leaf) takes hold and that really makes me look forward to the next draw.

This tobacco seems quite temperamental to burn rates and tongue bite. Considering that it's also a beast to keep lit even when dried for an hour or more, that makes it a touch difficult to smoke.

I've agreed to cellar my remainder in a jar to see if it improves over time. As it stands I'm not particularly a fan - which is slightly disappointing as I love Irish Flake. The jury is still out on how much I'll like this tobacco in the future.

Pipe Used: MM Twain, Savinelli Natural, Meerschaum

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Erinmore Flake.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (39)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A good starting point for those considering a flake for the first time. Mildly sweet dried fruit tin note. Reasonable moisture level. Gravity feed, char, tamp and light .....smooth mellow smoke. I am predominantly a flake lover and this one fills the bill when I'm wanting a change from Perique or Latakia or a strong flue type. The sweetness is there albeit slightly. It's casing doesn't leave a chemical "yuck" on the tongue. I do believe that 6 months in a mason jar helped with the flavour though. It's a nicer smoker now than it was out of the tin.

Pipe Used: Several Peterson's

Age When Smoked: 2 years sealed 6 months jarred

Purchased From: Jades Smokers Corner

HPFlashman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HPFlashman (9)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Just opened a tin of this tobacco and had the first bowl. The smell in the tin is grass and fruit in tiny nuances of fragrance, after several tins of aromatics, such as MB Navy flake, Ashton Rainy Day and WØ Larsen Old Fashioned.

I rolled and teared a flake in half and dropped it into my Cellini Freehand, with just the tiniest amounts of packing it in, as it filled the rather deep and conical chamber rather well.

The pipe and the tobacco was not a very good mix, but the Cellini is also somewhat new to me and I had not tried it with flake tobaccos earlier and will more than likely not try it again if I do not rub the flake first.

The Peterson flake filled the bowl to the rim in a good way, but I had not forseen the troubles I had with it getting the draft hole jammed solid, even with rummaging through the smoke channel with a pipecleaner would not keep it unclogged. Entirely a user fault but somewhat annoying anyhow.

When it burned, it burned quite cool and nice and gave some hints of the interesting fragrances and tastes I think the University Flake hides. The grassy Virginia was clearly present as was the fruitiness, which I gather is plummish and ripe in character. I think there may be greatness hidden in there, but due to my not too educated choice of pipe, further bowls in different pipes must be undertaken for scientific purposes.

I write this a bit for myself, after one bowl for reference purposes.

I have had further bowls of this in regular billiard pipes, messing around with packing and drying and it is a real good and slow burning tobacco with a quite unexpected nicotine hit. I have just finished a bowl with a flake that I left in the sun for an hour and have a rather dizzy head and an urge to make a visit to the oval office even though I was there just before lighting up. :-O I have amended the rating to highly reccomended and the strength to medium to strong. Of the five tobaccos I have around for now, this mellow little thing is surely the heftiest one....

Pipe Used: Cellini Freehand

Age When Smoked: Fresh from shop

Purchased From: http://solcigar.mamutweb.com/Shop/List/Peterson/197/1

storopoli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
storopoli (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It is my first Burley/VA flake. It is somewhat mild and burns quite cool and slow. I think I preffer something a little more strong in strength and maybe with more sweetness, in other words, with more sweetie VA.

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first got this tobacco I liked it but did not "love" it. But after smoking this once daily for about a week I found myself craving it more and more. For me it has the perfect amount of vitamin N for the last smoke before bed. Leaving me feeling satisfied without knocking me on my ass. After about a 30 minute dry time the flake rubbed out easily, burned cool and stayed pretty well lit with a very pleasant sweetish burley flavor.

I will be purchasing more and can't wait to try some of the other Peterson blends.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

As others have noted, a lightly-cased, somewhat strong dark flake. Not the easiest flakes to get lit, but I did not find them excessively difficult to deal with. On the whole, I found this 'serviceable' rather than 'memorable' in any positive or negative way. Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is not often.

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Indeed worth a go. Very nice balance and topping is applied perfect. Tin presentation is laid out very nice and flakes are perfect and easy to work with. Will revisit this baccy down the road.

arclight Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arclight (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

An excellent flake. The flakes were very wet. I rubbed one flake out and let it sit for an hour to dry a little. After drying it was easy to pack and light. This flake almost tastes like a cigarette, and gives a nice nicotine hit. This is a very cool smoke. If you want to have a long and quiet smoke, use the fold and stuff method, I got 2 hours out a flake this way.

Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Update 5/28/2015

I finally got around to smoking another tin of this from fresh and I liked it. True to my earlier review, I still hold Irish Flake in high regard as one of my favorite blends and this one is not as good to my tastes; however, it is a well done flake. It does have a slight fruit topping, but it is very light and compliments the base vabur well.

Original Review 5/7/2012

I prefer Irish Flake over this its apparent sibling. I only relate them as such since they are always next to each other at any B & M at which I encounter them. I find this one a bit too light for my tastes, but YMMV and does as it seems many reviewers are spit amongst the two.

I also do not pick up on the fruity flavoring at all, but the tin I amoked had quite a bit of age on it. I am not sure how much, but trust that it sat in the humidor for quite a long time due to the slight rusting on the tin. I may try a fresher specimen at some time, but won't rush into it.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (61)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My quintessential burley smoke of which i have had quite a few tins.

This was my first ever flake which was a novelty at the time. I liked the way you could rub it,tear it,roll it,crush it,twist it or stuff it to suit how you wanted it to burn according to my taste or for the type of pipe.

Its appearance reminded me of strips of cork engine sump oil tray gasket,and it was neat and compact in the pocket sized rectangle tin which i could re-use for keepin rollup tobacco in.(They have since changed the design of the tin to a flatter and wider shape which isn't as tight or robust after opening.)

My original scibbled pencil notes describe: "Cool strong and cigarish.Dry smoker.Mature natural sociable aroma.Complimentary drink is definately "Newcastle Brown Ale".Scottish oat cakes with salted butter.Bran flakes.Savoury. Initially i was glad to finish the tin as i was new to this and although i found it pleasurable,i found it hard work as well."

(i was still new to the strength of burley and the fact that inconjunction with alcohol and its slow buning forever aspect i would fatigue due to the nicoteen.)

"But like a memory that needs a 2nd visit sometime later i have repurchased this and it reminds me of times and places,where i was and who was around me.It brings back memories like instant recal.Good outdoor smoke."

Tin aroma is akin to digestive biscuits with a light natural wild raspberry topping. Loading the pipe and sucking to test the packing and draw i taste a creamy wheat and somewhat malty taste like a buttery cheese cake base,with a natural berry fruit hint.

Benefits from a 1 hour airing before smoking it if using a larger bowl;2 flakes folded and stuffed will last me @1 hour 20 mins. Lights easy and stays lit well,burns clean and is low maintenance.

A real cool long burner with no bite. Good nicoteen kick and not to be underestimated. Produces a heavy talcish ash with little dottle,and whatever doesn't get burned can be put on top of the next bowl for lighting material.

Tastes how it smells in the tin;an all grain,nutty ala sunflower seeds, mild hazel nuts,cereal bran, maltyness,light condenced milk,with a subdued berryish hint that is welcome without distractive intrusion...Very natural.A rasberry flapjack almost.

Nice berry nutty bicuity room note.

Quite simular in certain ways to Irish Flake but more nutty burley component and possibly less sweet in the tobacco sence than Irish Flake,but the topping maybe sweeter than what is in Irish Flake.

I did until recently prefer this to Irish Flake but;with some recent pipe and baccy combination trials i have since discovered that Irish Flake totally shines in a pyrolytic graphite liner bowl ala "the pipe"/"the smoke"/"venturi",and so i now rate them equally.

I have have smoked this in Briar,Meerschaum lined bowls,Clays and I prefer it in Clay for the concentration of taste(not that this tobacco lacks). Although at the time of this review i have been using a blue "The Smoke"-"Woodstock" shape pyrolytic liner pipe. Its ok in a Briar but i miss certain strengths that i get from from clay hot burner pipes;certain briars i feel are too open draw and i prefer a tighter draw pipe for more strength.

Stored in a 125ml glass kilner jar which holds about 100g (two tins worth)with the flakes cut in half for max storage and preservation of flake form it stores and ages well.A few months out of the tin and in a jar produces a dryer,richer,mellower and more mature rounded smoke, with only a faded topping.

One of the few tobacco's i have smoked around other proto pot head cigarette smokers, whom i let have a go of my pipe:They were inhaling and payed the price later i think when i got reports of their after binge drinking hangover;"I was throwing up last night and all i could taste and smell was your pipe". Oh well..Burley is quite strong afterall.

A semi aromatic with a serious and quality tobacco base,and always consistant. Easily a 3.5 star tobacco,real quality and with me its a regular purchase.

Papa Koala Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papa Koala (9)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Puffing my way through a bowl of this as I type. Tin note of very pleasant tobacco with a hint of fruit cake and upon lighting a sweet taste before the tobacco comes through. The flakes are a good size and one perfectly packs my Peterson 999 bowl. It burns slowly and cool and makes for a pleasant slow 'ponder'. I like this a lot and recommend it without hesitation.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (65)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I didn't care much for this flake. It is too strong for everyday use and the casing didn't agree with my taste buds. The nicotene is over the top to my liking and I had trouble keeping it lit. That said, I can understand the praise that most reviewers have for UF. It's just not my kind of aromatic.

Update: I'm changing my tune regarding this blend. After rubbing out a couple of flakes and letting it sit for a few days, this blend really shines.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a No-nonsense Flake;for U Serious Virginia-Lovers..Smoooth+Satisfying! I went Thru a 50g Tin in less than 2days

n9inchnails Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
n9inchnails (10)

This is one of my staple smokes and it is the most readily availabe Peterson tobac in my area. It has a burley dominated flavor and can be harsh at light up but other wise a very satisfying smoke. It does have a slight berry topping, although I don't taste it in the smoke it is very evident in the room note and i don't get nearly as much complaints from my non smoking friends as I do most other blends.

Outstanding "regular" tobacco, quality Burley with lemmon Virginias that provide the mixture depth and a touch of sweetness. Excellent all-day smoke with no tongue bite. The only one in the genre that pleases me more is McBaren Navy Flake, but they are both top notch.

flagg1122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flagg1122 (15)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is one of my Peterson favorites. The berry, nutty taste is really a nice morning smoke. It will really get you going with a nice cup of tea. Nicotine level is a bit high, so take it slow. Also needs to be dried out a bit. Good stuff!

Caripu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Caripu (11)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A good tobacco for all day use, but the older blended by Murray's was much better.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a very unique blend. I really like Peterson's blends, Irish Flake is one of my favorites. This blend upon opening the tin had a sweet, tart somewhat berry aroma to it and the flakes were a mahogany color with light and dark mixed in. They were somewhat sticky and damp and really need to be allowed to dry overnight to pack and light up. Even then it took several lights to get it going. The first part of the bowl had a sweet, mild, and berry like taste. It was not the normal aro Berry taste but was somewhat subtle, and was very nice actually. As the bowl progressed, the berry taste burned off and the burley came out to the forefront yet the sweetness of the VA in it was there. It grew quite a bit stronger as the bowl progressed and it even started to grow a little harsh. This one has to be sipped to enjoy. My tin did not have age on it and I believe that it would get better with age as I did taste a somewhat raw taste to it. It did not seem to kick with "N" but it did satisfy me. It burned down to a grey ash with little dottle in the bottom of the bowl. The room note was very pleasant, and so was the sidestream smoke.

I liked this blend and will smoke more in the future. i did not mind the short time I was rewarded with the berry taste, but I cannot put it in the same class as Irish Flake. When I smoke Irish Flake I am smoking bliss. I don't feel that about this one. I think flake smokers should try it as it is though, I can see where this would appeal to many. I am giving it three stars as it is a good blend, just not a must have for me.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (51)
Very Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first tried this it was the original version in the brown label tin. It was the most nicotine-heavy tobacco I had ever had at that point in time. I found it a bit harsh to my throat, difficult to keep lit, and from just one flake the nicotine level actually gave me the cold sweats! The taste was of strong burley with a slight orange topnote. Having finished a second tin I purchased more which presented with the current blue label. While similar, I find this to have significantly less nicotine and it does not require as many relights. The topnote is the berry flavor others have mentioned. While I do miss the nicotine level I think I slightly prefer this over the original. It is a wonderful smoke in a corncob.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I like this tobacco fine. Its one of two or three aro's I can smoke. The others being 1792, and coconut twist. I dont find it a nicotine bomb, certainly not like its brother Irish Flake. Which I like even more. 3 stars for this light aro without cheap cavendish added. Ill buy it again.

Django Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Django (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In my opinion, this is one of the best tobacco by Peterson ! It has a very nice aroma and a well balanced strength. I enjoy the little "Fir flavour" I was able to notice... Go on with this one if you like English tobaccos !

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

I have decided to re-write my review as I have smoked a fair amount of tins in quite a few pipes since my origional review.

This is a blend i cannot be without. It is one of my staple evening smokes and I absolutely LOVE this blend.

I am not a lover of Latakia and only smoke it about once every 2 weeks of late. The problem is that i rarely find a nice strong blend that is not harsh but yet does not contain Latakia. That is where this comes in to my rotaion.

I concede that there is in fact a topping. The topping is extremely faint and one hardly notices it while smoking. This blend contains both Burly and Virginia tobaccos but i simply cannot taste which one is used more, is it a Virginia or Burly flake???

Whatever it is, i love it to bits. To me it is a Medium to Strong smoke that is not harsh and does not bite. It is a wonderfull thing unto itself because there is nothing like it except the very potent Irish Flake by the same company.

The quality of the leaf and presentation is of the highest quality and I absolutely reccommend this to all who enjoy a fuller smoke that does not stink up the garage.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I like Kentucky so I like this one! The name is more appealing than the real experience though.. Anyway, not as great as Irish Whiskey and ORLIC DARK KENTUCKY but it has its character!

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (62)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening a tin of this tobacco, one is greeted by a heavenly summer berry scent, warm & sweet. The neat, highly pressed flakes have a delightful mottled appearance, from dark brown to pale beige. Upon rubbing out, the tobacco feels somewhat damp & hard to rub out, but with a bit of effort, actually comes apart fine. The damp sensation of the tobacco doesn't seem to affect it's burning ability, & it smoulders steadily to a fine salt & pepper ash with little dottle. The casing does come through, but doesn't overpower the fine (very, very fine) quality tobacco, which has a sweetness which complements the mild topping very nicely. This blend was used to break in my Peterson full bent billiard, & cannot be recommended too highly. Has a nicotine kick like a virginia mule so it must be respected but smoked slowly it is divinely satisfying & rewarding. One of the finest smokes I've ever had. Happy smoking!

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable to Strong

EDITED: A top dark flake, medium to strong, behaves real well in the pipe. Peterson make some good modern Aro's and old school TRADITIONAL flakes (Irish Flake) but Uni.F is a bit of both, it is a solid flake. My only wish is that all those berry cased blends tasted this good, frankly the only one I know that comes even close is McConnell's Red Virginia.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I want to smoke this. It has a certain alluring quality, but the nicotine kick is just not something I like. The casing of this tobacco has always evoked discussion. Whatever it's essence is or is not, one thing is clear, you should approach this tobacco with caution.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)

==Update No 2. 2016== Not the same blend as it was, whether you buy the Rattray's twin, Wallace Flake, or this, it ain't the same special flake. Mainly, there has been a reduction in strength and depth of taste and it can get bitter easier. Still a nice topping which hasn't changed at all, for whatever that's worth. So I'm dropping it two stars.

=Update. Gradually, over much time, this has become one of the top two or three tobaccos in my rotation. It is honest, unfussy, easy and satisfying, without any bite at all. =

This is a like it/hate it , relatively high nicotine smoke with a slight yet persistent fruity topping (a little more kick than Elizabethan blend I'd say). It is not complex enough, or distinguised in character, to qualify for "love it", but, as has been noted, can be a great autopilot smoke. In the wrong hands, I can see where this would come off as an Irish Brawl of a tobacco. But I've smoked about 6 tins of it over the past 4 months.

I initially wanted to describe this as Cherry Blend for Real Men, but that would be doing it a disservice.

The smoke is very cool, non biting and, if taken slowly, not bitter. (Relights can be a drag, no doubt. Lifting the tobacco, like areating a yard, helps, being careful not to tamp too hard).

Reccomended to anyone who likes full bodied (in strength) yet mildly flavored semi-aromatics. The burley used has no nutty flavor but also no bite and relatively little bitterness. Sweetness is muted but present and provided by the Virginias.

The room note is very nice, which is unusual for a tobacco with a bit of punch.

Use a small bowl to start.

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

The secret to University flake is to sip slowly at it. Just a little wisp of smoke every half minute. This is a rich and tangy tobacco blend, that typifies Irish flakes. It will get hot if you puff too hard, or smoke out in the wind, but for a quiet contemplative smoke there's little like it. Greatly underrated and nowhere near as well-known as it deserves. If it weren't for my tendency to puff a bit too hard unless I watch myself, this could easily be my 'Arcadia'!

Carlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlos (21)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

If you haven't smoked strong tobaccos before - be careful! There are of course stronger tobaccos than Peterson University Flake, but this one is strong too! Taste? Very nice, but IMO Irish Oak is better.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Appearance: Small flakes, well made with uniform medium thickness. Quite variegated in color with the entire range well distributed.

Aroma: First impression is fruity. Definite aroma of berries. While I love this in a Cabernet, I find it off-putting in a tobacco. There is some Virginia aroma lurking under the fruit, but it is not dominant.

Packing:. Usual methods work fairly well. Either rubbing out the flakes, or folding and rolling work well in normal to larger bowls. Did not try this in any smaller pipes.

Lighting:. Lighting is about average, takes flame well.

Initial flavor: The berries were the first thing to hit my palate, with some Virginia and Burley coming through a short time later. The tobacco flavor was not as strong as the flavoring.

Mid-bowl:. The fruit topping has diminished some, but the tobacco flavor did not develop well for me. In all, a rather boring experience.

Finish:. Burned fairly well to the bottom of the pipe. Did not get much stronger at the end

Summary:. Maybe a good choice for the smoker who likes a flavored Virginia, or an aromatic smoker looking for an entry level Va. For the experienced VA. smoker, not much to recommend it.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Well, I am on third tin in two weeks. I find the taste to be consistent with subtle nuances of change in every bowlful. Opening the tin I find the flakes to exude a delightful aroma that is heavy, yet, not overpowering. A slight musty berry-like smell is also present. I usually pack the bowl with unbroken flake with a little rubbed out to assist in the lighting. Seldom do I need a relight.

I usually smoke this kind of flake in a Sav-EX model. With a straight tapered bowl as opposed to a conical, I find that if a tobacco tends to be moist, usually the mositure can to burned off before it accumulates in the heel and gets drawn into the bit.

The flavor is consistent the length of the bowl. While I find it strong, I also find it disarmingly smooth and leaving me wanting more.

This blend burns to a coarse grey/white ash.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A thickly cut flake with a strong aroma in the tin. It smokes very cool and slow. Not sweet at all. I find you get more flavor by rubbing out the flake a good bit (which is not what I do with most flakes, as I break them only a bit to aid in packing, and maybe combustion at the bottom, in order to assure a slow, cool smoke). Even broken up, it still burns evenly but smokes slow, with no bite. Unbroken, the blend had a blander taste, and it smoked forever. Fairly dry but I keep a pipecleaner always handy.

The thick flavor is heavy, earthy, musky, etc. like G&H's unsecented Brown Flake, or the blend Walnut Flake I reviewed separately. But University Flake is not quite as rich or full as the Brown Flake. University's flavor is near dense as something like St. Bruno's Flake (but it is not fruity sweet at all like St. Bruno's is). I am told University has a strong, manly aroma & smell, whatever that is.

I do not find this too strong, but the most I have smoked of this in an evening is two bowlfulls (in a dedicated medium Vesz bent apple and in a smallish Nording high grade freehand). I'm well into my second tin of this in those two pipes, thanks to Tim at paylesspipes, so I gave it a good trial before my review.

I like the rather full, natural-like flavor, but this flake is obviously scented a bit just by the aroma in the tin. The rich burley makes the heavy end virginia (mahogany) even taste fuller. The scenting keeps it fairly smooth tasting. All in all, a good outside smoke while you walk your dog for a spell. It's something supportive to ponder problem-solving with.

Artyom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Artyom (8)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Boring tobacco without flavour development. The smell from the tin is promising: dried fruits with woody notes. But it has 0 progression of flavour and its also too strong for me.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Dante O. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dante O. (1)

I must have an odd tin of University Flake because the wording on mine states, “Based on Virginia grades. In addition mahogany, brown and orange Virginias are mixed with leaves from India”. Can someone comment on this anamoly please? Also there is no indication of a date.

Pipe Used: Comoy

Purchased From: Gift

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm a huge Irish Flake addict, so after hearing of UF described as IF Lite, I thought I would take it for a spin. Right off the bat I can see that I don't necessarily agree it's any rendition of IF. The signature dark-fired is absent, and dark-fired is what I live for. It does have some great quality burley and Virginia, though, and the blend just melds together smoothly and sweetly. I should note the mentioned berry/plum topping, which might be off-putting to some, is very light, barely detectable. It does little more than enhance the natural sweetness of the virginia. Very pleasant and refreshing. I'm giving it thumbs up. Problem is, 9.9 out of 10 times I will reach for IF over this one, therefore I kind of doubt this will become a mainstay in my rotation. It's good, I just already live on something stronger. Overall quite happy to have tried this one!

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Stubby

Age When Smoked: 6 month old tin

Purchased From: B&M Gettysburg, PA

Italo Svevo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Italo Svevo (19)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

So far, this is the best Burley-based pipe tobacco I've tried. Golden Blend is a tongue-scorcher, Old Dark Fired is ok but boring, this one is nice. The Virginia is a minor player here for me. Burley takes the lead. The mild topping, somewhat plummish, makes the smoke more interesting and improves the room note. It comes pretty wet so I ground it and needed few relights. I don't give four stars because it can burn quite hot if you only puff a little faster.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Toscana

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Golden Blend but much much better.

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Plum.....not that I got. I got some berry flavor that was pretty weak. Most of Petersons aromatics are pretty good albeit very mild. This one doesn't hit the mark for me. Tin note smells of berries not plums. Burns just a bit hot from time to time. Taste is weak but berry flavor again not plum. Room note is to me not very pleasant. This is a below average aromatic for Peterson. For that reason I can only partially recommend.

Pipe Used: Boswell poker

Age When Smoked: Aged tin

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)

I don't honestly remember the old University Flake. I gave up pipes for about ten years (long story). I mention this because way back, when I was first starting out, University Flake was quite popular. But now, apparently there are two versions. One by Peterson and one under the Rattray banner (called wallace flake). Ive not smoked the rattray. But the current Peterson version of University flake is not how I remember it. The current one is rather sweet and the casing pretty much obscures the tobacco taste. Not totally, but more than I care for. Its also an odd blueberry flavor that, for some reason, is called Plum. But its not, its berry. And its very heavy and sweet. If you like that, I guess its fine. The quality, from what one can guess, is good. It is now an aromatic and the nic hit is above mild but not what I would call medium. It is one dimensional and god knows there are far better aromatic flakes out there -- or semi aromatics like St Bruno flake and even F&T's Cut Blended Plug, which is a very much better version of this and which actually has a sort of rum/ plum light casing. I can't give this more than 2 stars.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Cut Blended Plug by F&T,,., which i prefer..

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (66)
Medium Extra Strong Extra Full Unnoticeable

When I lit up I thought I'd made a mistake and had filled my pipe with Ratrace Mal or Wally or whatever it's called.

A forgetable name for a forgetable smoke.

Then I checked the lable. No, this was University Flake.

Another Eurotobak. It can be smoked, I suppose.

Pipe Used: Stanwell billard.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the shop.

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop (nice chaps).

Similar Blends: Rattrays... the one that says Plum on the lable..

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (60)

Conclusion: It is light without being weak and complex enough to be interesting. Not being a big fan of aromatics (I smoke them on occation but not regularly) I still find this perfectly balanced as the flavouring only gives and does not take away any natural tobacco taste. This will remain in my rotation, it is a great smoke.

Taste: The virginia sweetness and the burley nuttyness plays well together from the first light, the burley being the more dominant part towards the end. As for the topping, it's there but not too much. It is there if you look for it, and mostly so in the retrohale, and once noticed it is still mild and pleasant - it just adds to the virginia flavour and overall complexity I'd say. Ever had Brewdog's beer "Hello my name is little Ingrid"? Well that beer had an added hint of cloudberry and the proportions of that added flavour are just about the same as here. No big changes over time but the mentioned takeover by the burley and as a result some pepper-ish zing. I tried it rubbed as well as folded and I find that the topping comes out more if the flake is simply folded, if that is a good thing is surely individual but I prefer it that way. All in all the taste is nutty, sweet hay with a hint of blueberry.

Mechanics: Burns clean, needs some drying and some relights may be necessary but it is really nothing untypical of flakes. Strength is at medium, body medium to full. A dry smoke that doesn't bite. And the flake looks beautiful.

Pipe Used: Cobs and briars

Calamiti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calamiti (66)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I think this is one of the best Peterson tobaccos if not the best one.

It shows quality, balance and excellence in every aspect, from ideally cut flakes to full bodied taste, hint of sweet fruitiness, generous volume of smoke and a good healthy nicotine dose.

It burns perfectly from the single light after drying out a little in an opened tin. I cellar it by pounds. An excellent tobacco, highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Reterson 268 Zulu

Age When Smoked: 2

Similar Blends: Peterson's Perfect Plug.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

There is a sameness to many of these formerly British and Irish made flakes that are now made in Denmark (or Germany for that matter). Virginia forward VaBurs heavily pressed to produce dark rubbery flakes that smoke well and have few faults. Tweak the toppings/casings and condimental additions and an entire family of tobaccos is produced.

This one has a generous fruit topping that might or might not put it into aromatic territory, depending on your perspective. Caveat emptor.

A decent tobacco, but not my cup of tea.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Russell D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Russell D (2)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I'm surprised this one did not get a higher rating. Took about half of it n rubbed it out but left it chunky. Put the rest n a jar n dried what I rubbed n the tin for a full 9 hrs lid on the bottom n a cool dry place. smoked a bowl before i put the rest of the rubbed n another jar. Awesome tasting high nic blend. Smokes to the bottom, very little moisture.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: not sure

Purchased From: b&m

tomobedlam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomobedlam (16)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

First try I rubbed it out a bit right from the tin and lit up. Really nice subtle fruit flavoring, nothing as heavy as Erinmore but similar in a way. Decent, rich smoke, no gurgling even with no drying. Its possible that the tin I bought has some age on it. Solid, nice smoke. Recommended!

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (84)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As of this writing, there are almost three hundred and thirty reviews; I have nothing to add! So, again, I write this for my future self, standing in a shop, lost in indecision...

The Danish UF is a decent middle weight flake, comes not too wet, could smoke it out of the tin, in a pinch. The fruity topping is ever-present during the smoke, at times it becomes too much. Seems to be able to irritate my mouth as well.

Get the Irish Flake!

ATW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ATW (45)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I guess I should have researched more about this one before I got it ( if I would have still considered it). The topping is what thru me off. It smoked great but I couldn't get a feel for the tobacco itself because of the topping being strong. It was a flat medium for me. Good but nothing to run home about. I'll stick to Irish flake.

Alhaji Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alhaji (33)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The only comment I feel able to make about this tobacco is that it is totally unremarkable. Forgive me if I got the wrong tin or used the wrong pipes; but this was a disappointment. There was not much coming from anything.

Tasteless, IMO. No Burley, no Virginia, just plain blandness. I smoked it in a variety of pipes over a number of days with immense concentration in order to get something out of it. And I finished the tin within days of my order being delivered to me in order to 'tease' the 'nuances', the best, out of this blend. Yet it failed to deliver.

I will likely give it another future try. One and a half star!

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: danishpipeshop.com

SamH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SamH (31)

This is as often stated like Irish Flake's little brother. I'd say gentler second cousin. I found it very pleasant and smoked a tin over a crisp late October-Late November. My favourite time of year for anything so yes that might colour my views on things. Worth a try, even if just for a change.

Pipe Used: A fair few.

Age When Smoked: Recently purchased.

Purchased From: Mysmokingshop.

Similar Blends: Sort of a bit like some other flakes. That wasn't much help really was it?.

r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
r (32)

This was a surprisingly nice flake to try. Nicely presented, prepares easy.

A bit hard to keep lit, and relights tend to hide the very pleasant plum flavoring which takes a few puffs to show up again.

Not terribly strong in nicotine.

Mellow blend -- perfect for mid afternoon relaxation.

Pipe Used: Peterson St. Patrick's Day 2015

Purchased From: Hemingway (Palo Alto, CA)

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I really liked this blend years ago when it was manufactured in Ireland. It is still a good blend but smokes like most flakes of this style kind of medium to full. It's a traditional style smoke that is meant for slow enjoyment. I don't recall the fruity (plum) top dressing either and as one reviewer mentioned " I could do without the topping". I also agree with Pipestud that this would NOT be a beginners blend. All things considered this is still a flavorful VA that is meant for slow enjoyment. If your new to the hobby you may consider mixing this with a bit of BCA. I also recommend letting this one dry out a bit. Just remember smoke slowly. Sweet smokes!

Pipe Used: John Hines Cutty

Age When Smoked: Cellard one year

Supo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Supo (3)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

From original opening of the tin, to my last puff… I enjoyed this University flake. The tin note DID have a mild berry-like fragrance, which is listed a ‘Plum’ casing. Interesting...

What a beautiful looking press of Burley and Virginias with multi colored specs of dark mahogany brown with yellow/golden parts throughout the flake slice. The moisture from my last tin was slightly high, (as many flakes retain moisture well, due to pressing process), so as many have recommended, best to dry it out and rest for 15-20 min. Once rubbed-out (which is my preference on what do with flake) and packed in to the bowl, it lights and burns nicely.

Upon lighting, I find it to have a bit of kick from the Burley (starts a bit strong), but it mellows-out thanks to the Virginias. Don't search for the Plum flavoring/casing, as it’s not immediately obvious. Throughout the smoke however, it appears ever so slightly, but not all the time, and it balanced out the sometimes heavy hit of nicotine.

This is such a nice change of pace. I really enjoy the experience of preparing this one, over simply packing previously cut ribbon tobaccos-- as the preparation process directly affects the way this one smokes. Take your time.

Thankfully, I have had success with prepping University, and as a result mine burns slow and cool in bowl. This is a reliable pipe tobacco, and I recommend it.

Supo.

Pipe Used: Brigham System, 1 Star

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This tobacco is quite bland to me. I believe some would say the plum flavoring is very subtle, but I could not taste or smell it. Actually, it tasted like warm air with barely a hint of tobacco. I prefer more flavor and a good, strong smell. I'm not much of a fan of Irish Flake either, but I prefer it to this for its strength alone. Seriously, why would anyone buy this more than once? There was little to no tongue bite, and that is why it doesn't get just one star.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

In a word, WOW! I really enjoyed the taste of this flake, one of the best out there. This blend is not necessarily complex, but it hits those plum, raisin notes real well—there's definitely a sweet note working here, while at the same time the burley adds a nutty/butteriness to the proceedings. The side stream to this flake is simply outstanding and, lastly, not least-ly (;), if I were ever to enter a pipe smoking contest, this baby would give me a chance, my first bowl lasted nearly an hour and a half (without even trying too hard)—now, that's longevity! Generally speaking this was a truly enjoyable pipe smoking experience. Then why not four stars instead of three (a strong three)?

Three points prevented me from giving this blend the highest of kudos, firstly, the strength. After having quit smoking completely for better than 18 years, and now having returned to the pipe two years ago, I still do not enjoy getting kicked in the head with high doses of N. I simply don't like it and prefer blends that are more mild in that regard.

Two, I had the foulest coating on the inside of my mouth which lasted for better than three days (must be the casing). Wasn't thrilled with that, and, lastly...

point three, I had a tough time keeping it lit (at least initially), but, this was more my fault, clearly the flakes need some air time (which I will do next time). Outside of those complaints UF is one the best tasting tobaccos I've experienced thus far.

For those of you who bother to read my reviews, I've decided to change my operating procedure. I used to wait till the end of a calender year to write all my reviews but, this year, and, perhaps those following, I intend on writing my reviews as I smoke the blends (hopefully in order). I feel I'll be able to write a fresher "take" on each review, rather than waiting for so long. Thanks for reading, and happy piping!

Pipe Used: Nording Signature Freehand

Purchased From: Can't remember, sorry.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (83)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I got into this one during my flake period. I thought it would be a good a blend to try, as I had gotten my bell rung thoroughly by S.G navy. I used an older Grabow I had with a group one bowl on it. Also a cob I bought at the the time for trying this new flake.

It comes stacked up in the tin. Pretty neat little flakes of a mostly brown color with little gold streaks in it. Tin note was pretty earthy, nutty and had light fruity note to it. I was trying to learn folding technique at the time and did that with it mostly. I rub out flakes these days. The char took a little work, but got going well enough eventually. The plum(?) flavoring came through noticeably at that point, but didn't last as such for long.

It burns as well as a flake can, depending on your prep work. It has a nice light va taste to it, and a pretty strong nic hit. I would recommend this as a pretty good flake for most smokers. In spite of its generally mild flavor, it's not for beginners unless they have a good nicotine tolerance. It could make some turn a bit green if they're not used to stronger blends. Well done flake from peterson.

Pipe Used: Various Grabow pipes, MM cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Purchased From: Wallingford tobacco, Wallingford ct

ilDominante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ilDominante (11)
Very Strong Very Mild Mild Strong

This has got to be one of the worst tobaccos I've ever tried. Absolutely unsmokable. The flakes break up in 1/4 inch chunks, mostly very dark, dry and not easily packable. It lights up easily and stays lit. The aroma, as such, has notes of cherry, as in the distilled artificial flavoring one finds in cheap juice, which is not pleasant, at all. Once lit, it smells like a cheap cigarette, except if you try to inhale it, it feels like inhaling burnt plastic. Pretty much all peterson and other pipe brand tobaccos seem to be much lower quality than even the worst bulk tobacco, IMHO. Definitely not recommend buying this tin.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Holmes Watson

Age When Smoked: Allegedly fresh but doesnt seem like it

Purchased From: online

Similar Blends: Cheap cigarette tobacco..

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Virginias take center stage in the first third. Strength ramps up as you smoke on. Burleys come out in second third to complement the Virginias. No flavoring detected, even when sipped. Easily maintained, burns clean. A pleasant 3 star blend, with high quality tobacco.

Pipe Used: Neerup Stove Pipe, MM

Age When Smoked: B&M shelf placement date of JUL 2013 noted on tin

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

It amazes me at how Peterson can put out such high quality flakes and yet fail so miserably at aromatics. UF is Irish Flake's little brother. A very fine blend but without the Nicotine hit being so heavy. I could smoke this all day and be very content. Highly Recommended.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Having sensed my boredom for Royal Yacht, my daily blend, I charged to a newer B&M and found some University Flake. It was just what I needed. Different enough from my beloved RY, the Burley offers a full flavor with moderate nicotine. Here's the first tobacco that I could call aromatic yet delivered full tobacco flavor. Once I returned to the car that smelled of tobacco but had this plum perfume infused into the smoke! I think I really caught the aromatic quality of UF- and it was quite pleasant. This isn't some overly infused black cavendish suffering from a lack of nicotine backbone. It taste fruity but not sweet, similar to an eau de vie like Framboise- very dry. Maybe it's presently a novelty for me, but the tobacco flavor is front and center. If you're overly sensitive to nicotine this isn't the genteel aromatic you may be used to. This could be a holiday crowd-friendly tobacco, where Night Cap may offend. I'm most impressed.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)

So many things to say about this blend! First of all, it is my first Peterson blend. Second, its also my first flake, and for my first Peterson experience, I'm impressed. I'm a Burly fan, even more of a Virginia fan. So it was inevitable that I would smoke this blend at some point. My standard is Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, It's my go to baccy, so to find a blend with strong Virginia notes similar to EMP I get all giddy. First thing to mention is the tin. It's so cool, classic and elegant, I attend a major university, so it's fitting. Second is the aroma of the tobacco in the tin. Those sweet and tangy Virginias just stand out. It was a little moist, so I dried it out a bit. I tried a multitude of ways to pack my pipe, the "standard" rub out, roll, square...Personally I found the best was rolling it up, the flavor was much more pronounced as opposed to the other methods. The smoke was milder than I was expecting, very smooth and sweet. The Alkalinity of the Virginias came through more than I had hoped, but the nuttiness of the Burly left a creamy aftertaste. I tasted the plum flavor mid bowl, it was subtle and mild but a rather pleasant taste. After a while that sexy little nicotine head rush snuck up on me and I just started loving the baccy. Even though I rolled it into the bowl, I had no problems with relighting. So all in all I think this is a well balanced blend. It balances the characteristics of the tobacco very well and really brings out the complexities of each. Furthermore, being a flake, the smoker can really connect with the tobacco. Preparation takes more time, so I think one should slow down and really appreciate the tobacco in their hands. After all that's what it's all about. In sum-near perfection

Elm0 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elm0 (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

As said Irish Flake's little brother i smoke both daily while IF has that strong taste that lets you know its got a good nic hit UF has a very pleasing almost aromatic taste, if i was to say you find yourself chewing on the smoke I'm sure you would get my drift

Very hard to put the pipe down once lit ,it burns nice & slow can bite a little if smoked too quick but if you are doing that you are not getting the best out of it ,slow small lingering draws almost let the pipe idle between your lips seems to be the sweet spot for this one

Got to admit when i first tried UF i wasn't that fussed but learning to appreciate it a bit more & as said rolling up the flake's rather than rubbing them out to pack bowl turned this into a firm favorite of mine

Peterson tobacco's have become the bulk of my rotation's lately due to quality, great packaging & price. UF is well presented in a small square tin needs very little if no airing time & has always been consistant ,100+ tins

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a well presented VA/Burley flake that comes neatly packed in a convenient square tin. In some respects it reminds me of Erinmore Flake, though the casing is not so pronounced. It's a cool, long, “winter” smoke with a pleasant fruity/woody flavour that does not detract from the natural taste of the tobacco: round, soft, full-bodied without being in the least bit harsh. It's strong without being overwhelmingly so, and well behaved all the way down the bowl: it keeps its flavour to the end, smokes dry and seems to leave no dottle at all. The room note is acceptable to SWMBO & Co. also. An earlier reviewer has called it Irish Flake's “little brother,” and I wouldn't disagree with that. Fold-and-stuff is the best way to smoke it, I think; for a dark and rather moist flake, it needs remarkably few re-lights, though it's a good idea to let it dry out a little before ignition. My first tin was a gift from a friend, but I intend to buy more of it and make it one of my regulars. I'm not sure that I would want to smoke it every day, because the plummy topping can cloy a bit if you have too much of it; but it's very pleasant in moderate doses. Perhaps it's a little strong for the beginner; highly recommended, though.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Another bomb by Peterson. Reminds me very much of Rum-Raisin-Nuts chocolate. Not much to say, it is an outdoor tobacco and it is really, really one of the stronger ones. Beautiful, thin flakes, burn excellent, smoke is quite 'pungent sweet' but not like aromatics. If you like light aros, skip this one. If you like pure English/Balkans, skip this one. If you chew a pigtail for breakfast and smoke Irish Flake or the Rope in large bowls, you will definitely enjoy this one.

donmartinthree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donmartinthree (22)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The first time I tried this must've been shortly after I'd smoked up my second tin of Irish Flake... I figured it would be worth a shot, as they were described relatively similarly. But that's beside the point, really.

I remember the first time I smoked this... it was outdoors during autumn in the woods. I know it sounds cliche, but that's the way it was. And it was really really good. It does have a nicotine punch and I can understand it being too strong for some people.

I love it. The aroma when smoked is very kentucky-ish, as far as flavors go. It's earthy, a little musty, sort of wood-like and like fall-leaves. Pretty much like IF, only with that top note of plum, which, in my opinion, brings out the tobacco flavors perfectly. It tastes best to me folded and stuffed, not rubbed out and sipped slowly. That brings out the most nuances. I don't feel this is one-dimensional at all. Sure, there's more complex tobaccos than this, but I wouldn't smoke this without paying attention to it. That would make this one boring...

For me, it's a tobacco I don't smoke very often, and when I do, it's in the colder months. And everytime I choose this tobacco, fill up my group 1 Dunhill with exactly 1 flake, I enjoy it a lot.

I'm finishing my 3rd tin now and it's always great! Recommended!

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (59)

A delightful tobacco flake with no bad habits at all. Gorgeous soft and fruity tin note. When lit the flavor is smooth and the mouth-feel is silky. It is only slightly sweet, the fruit topping is subtle and in good proportion - detectable in the room note and pleasant in the mouth (I love the taste of plum) but not at all overdone - it still allows the high quality of the Burley and VA to shine through nicely. Nicotine is present but not huge. Gives a good, even burn without a lot of relights. My best results: gently rubbed out leaving the strands long, packed inverted, and left to rest for a while (at least a couple of hours) prior to smoking. Tamp gently. Top shelf.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)

Finishing up first tin, followed tin of Dunhill Flake and was much better. Tin note distinctive for virginias, good quality with.... berries of some sort. As I am on last two flakes, I better understand the topping, and can actually taste sweetness, especially when thoroughly rubbing out the flake and letting it dry for 15-30 minutes prior to smoke. Good all around smoke, even early a.m. Unsure if I'd classify this as an aromatic, will consider it for Vaper rotation. Better than Dunhill Flake for me,not displacing Golden Sliced. UPDATE: Having more experience with Va/Bur/Per in many combinations via blending on my own, I understand this to be a fantastic VaBur. I have several tins aging, and consider it as one of my top ten blends.

Grandad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grandad (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I really like this tobacco. I just wish they gave you more flakes to the tin. Unlike other reviews on here that say it tastes like a cigarette, I wouldn't say it did and I wouldn't say it didn't. I suppose if you were an ex-cigarette smoker, this would probably be a nice transition into pipe smoking. Then again, having smoked tailor mades and roll ups, I don't find this flake all too similar? You definately don't get the chemical taste.

I don't taste the plum but strangely enough, it tastes a little, only a little, like fig-rolls to me? But then everyones different.

Being new to flake, I looked up some reviews on the web and came across a video of a guy explaining how to pack the pipe by folding the flake and then tamping it into the bowl. Thank Jeebus I figured this looked wrong and found another where the guy folded it in half twice, placed it between his palms and rolled it into fine flake. Depending on whether you want a long smoke or a quick one depends on how fine you want to rub the tobacco.

The strength is good, the flavour is nice, the aroma is pleasant around other smokers (to non-smokers they will forever endeavour to cough and splutter when you are around them). I would recommend this as an everyday tobacco or at least include it in your cycle.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Probably my favorite tobacco. I've been smoking pipe tobacco for a little over a year now and this is one that I keep coming back to. Oh, I had smoked a pipe off and on while in college, but this was mainly restricted to Captain Black White or Borkum Riff Whiskey, which were really unsatisfying and did nothing for me. I didn't seriously pick up pipe smoking again until much later, after a friend recommended I try something other than those two and suggested some others. I remember the first time that I smoked UF (it was recommended by that same piper-pal) and I knew that it would be in the top five for me, even though I had only been smoking pipe tobacco for about two months at that point. It was strong in Vitamin N (which was relatively important as an ex-cigarette smoker)and, I'm not gonna lie, I liked the berry/plum topping. I really never thought that an aromatic (if you can classify it as that), after my experience with the Captain and BR, would be in my top five, much less my favorite. However, the little bit of sweetness that the topping adds is just enough with the strength to push this one into the top. I, of course, smoke other tobaccos, e.g. VaPers, VAs, Burleys, and Englishes, but this one always has a spot in my rotation.

EDIT (4/26/2016) - This has fallen out of favor with me at this time. Ever since KK stopped making it and Mac Baren took over, it seems to not have the same flavor profile as it once had. This may be due to different constituent tobaccos, but I can't be sure. In the future, I plan on buying the Rattray's Wallace Flake, which I hear is KK University Flake, just with a Rattray's name on it. I do hope this is the case, as I do miss the previous University Flake.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Everyone should smoke at least one tin of this in their piping career. The topping is done right, an easy hand but still detectable.

It smokes a bit dry on the palate for me, and dries out my throat. Decent nicotine content if you are looking for that sort of thing in your tobacco. I would recommend this blend to most, but it is just not my cup o' tea.

Update 7-15-12

I knew I must have been missing something from this blend. I smoked through another tin, and am starting to enjoy it! Bumped up to 3 stars.

Withnail Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Withnail (16)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

If you like a good hit of nicotine from your pipe, this blend is certainly worth a try. The flakes are easy to rub out (or fold if you prefer) and burns evenly to the bottom of the bowl.

As usual, I tried this blend before reading anything about it that might cloud my judgement. On reading of the plum flavouring it was a case of "ahh, so that's what it was". You can tell that there is something in the fruit line there, but this is not at all what I would call an aromatic. I certainly wouldn't have come up with "plum" purely from the flavour.

I would say this makes a wonderful smoke for a cold evening, but I would find it too high in nicotine to smoke all day. Having said that, I will be putting a couple of tins aside to see how this blend ages and I have added it to my regular stable of smokes. As noted above, this would suit someone moving to a pipe from cigarettes, although you probably don't want to smoke too much on an empty stomach. Goes well with a nice strong cup of tea when you want to wind down at the end of the day.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (62)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I had this back in 2011 and it seemed a bit much for me as far as the nicotine was concerned. Since it's been about four years I recently purchased another tin to give it a second go.

This time around it's been a much better experience. First go around I was loading one and a half flakes in a bowl and that clearly was unnecessary and probably was the reason I was being so affected by the nicotine.

It comes a bit moist, so it's best if you give it some dry time. Either set the flake out or load the bowl a half our or so before you fire up a bowl.

I use the fold and stuff method and it works well with this blend. Once it's had a bit of drying time it takes a light well and burns nice and evenly to a fine white ash. I typically only need a few relights. Being a flake it does well outdoors.

The flavor is much better this time around. I'm getting more of the apricot flavors from the VIrginias complimented nicely by the nuttiness of the Burleys. The top dressing of plum is pleasant and comes through at a nice pace with the natural tobacco flavors.

I've been told the room note is just a nice pleasant pipe smell.

I'd recommend this to anyone just getting into flakes or someone looking for a nice aromatic with enjoyable natural tobacco flavors to take a break from heavy English/Balkan blends.

Pipe Used: Peterson Aran B5

Purchased From: Tobacco Leaf in Las Vegas NV

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A nice quality medium flake.

The Virginias taste similar to those of Dunhill Flake with just a bit of burley and a light topping which tastes of fruit skin. You know the tangy-but-not-juicy-or-particularly-sweet experience of eating the skin of a plum or a berry? That's what this flavouring brings to my mind. It's nice but quite lightly applied.

It's a good tobacco but if I want a fruity flavoured flake I'll go to Firedance Flake and if I want a straight medium Virginia flake I'll go to Dunhill Flake. So I like it but I'm just not sure if I'll buy it too regularly.

Also, I don't like the new tin shape as much as the older one.

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I found this to be quite a pleasant smoke, if a little on the strong side (but nowhere near as strong as Irish Flake). The tobacco seems of good quality, is easy to light and burns nicely with rich earthy flavors. The plum flavoring was barely noticeable, if at all. This is a decent strong tobacco for the occasional smoke, but not one that I would smoke regularly, but it may grow on me..

Edit: This is not going to grow on me. I now realise, the reason; I can't seem to get on with Burley tobacco...

Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

Nice strong tobacco, I love the little tins that I can slip in my pocket (keep a rubber band on it or it will dry out). Tobacco has some N kick. I can smoke this any time of day and find myself reaching for it at all times but not an all day smoke. The taste is predominantly Virginia with the Burley in the background. I tend to smoke this fast and it will bite and burns hot. There is a slight taste and smell of raspberries, but I wouldn't say that it dominates or stays with more than a 1/3 of the bowl. Not a sweet tobacco but I would use the word, "Powerful". I've gotten many comments on how good it smells, but since I'm smoking it, I really don't know . I keep this around but not in my rotation but to smoke it in public. Nice to French inhale. Oh, and let it dry out a little. I just tried a wife test.... RESULTS: " quote " Not very good", there you have it fans, anything that is not, " get the hell out of here with that" is a fine smelling tobacco.

Updated 1/31/12- Well I found my use for this tobacco, "On the go, puff and throw", you know , for those quick puffs between bus stops on the public streets. Using a small "beater", you load it to 1/3 bowl and puff away. The Nic is high so you " get your fix on Route 66" and since it smells so good for the initial 1/3 bowl, loading only a 1/3, the whole smoke is good to the passersby's. Oh, and I have smoked this tobacco so dry it's brittle and it all works the same? Use it this way, you may say it's a 4 star !!!

Old Schoolr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Schoolr (12)
Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A nice flake style aromatic. Reminds me of MacBaren's Navy Flake but seems to have a bit more Va. tobaccos in the blend. The tin was well sealed & the product looked like top quality leaf. Don't let the small size of the tin fool you, once rubbed out you'll be surprised by how far a flake goes. For me it seems to smoke best rubbed out & a bit dry. The plum top note is nice, not overpowering. I occasionally get a tarry note from blends w/ Va. tobaccos but not from UF. It has some nicotine & will sucker punch you on an empty stomach. I will buy this again.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

It's amazing how a title for a blend can set the stage for an experience. How could you not see a university professor at a college in Ireland smoking on the way to his next class? That's the visual I get. Refined, educated, studious. Horned rim glasses, anyone? UF is a nice full smoke with a kick. I must admit that it is my favorite Peterson blend, too. It will quench the fiercest of nic urges, but you won't be craving a pipe when you're done. That's kind of a drawback, really. One good one is enough. It's like Irish Flake in that way, highly doused in Vitamin N. What else you would expect from Peterson?

nismo270r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nismo270r (2)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the tobacco that introduced me to flakes, and I'm very glad it did. A good shot of vitamin N with this one, and a smooth, cool smoke that burned clean down to a nice white ash. The casing flavor is just enough to be lurking in the background, but never overpowering the great flavor of the tobacco. A must try, and a great intro to flakes for anyone that hasn't had the opportunity to try them. I haven't tried it rubbed out, but cube cut, or folded is great!

ChevySpoons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChevySpoons (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco is an old friend, but one I haven't enjoyed in a few years. Still, a recently-purchased tin was all that I remembered: a full aroma in the tin, with just a hint of topping; beautiful flakes that rub out easily; easy lighting; and a nice flavour and aroma. As I remembered, it's best enjoyed by sipping--it is Virginia-sweet, but tempered by Burley (and, it is claimed, "fire-cured Kentucky" and "sun-cured leaf from India"); and a gentle smoking beings out the flavours of all the tobaccos. The plum topping never overwhelms, but does add a nice room note. Definitely recommended.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (59)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a tin based on the reviews here. This isn't a bad Burley blend & I see why it has a fairly large following. Fairly enjoyable smoke but just didn't push my button for some reason. A fruity note was quite noticeable and fades a little as more of the bowl burns off.

I finished the tin before reviewing but this stuff just didn't ring my bell. I found this blend to be a little harsh...I'm not into Burleys that much anyway. UF will not be in my rotation & doubtful that I'll ever purchase another tin. IMO, Irish Flake is a better blend over this mixture & I rated it a four.

Not bad at all for a Burley blend and the plum flavoring was lightly applied but it left me wanting...something with a smoother edge & a sweeter tobacco taste. Therefore, IMHO, UF merits 2.4 stars.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Peterson UF .. Could be a tasty tobacco in spite of it topping, for some, but in my opinion the hard work of keeping this stuff lit and it's rather oh-hum casting makes this stuff not worth the afford. And for it cost, I believe you can do better. What it takes to get a adequate volume of smoke is puffing, leaving me with a scorched mouth feel and what feels like nausea from nicotine OD or some foul chemical, I know I'm in the minority with this, but that is my experience, and in this case, not a good one. Like I said. there are many others to choose from, many with far better manners. It's your dime.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A lovely tobacco. When you open the tin you get a rich chocolate and berry nose, and more chocolate and berry when you smoke. I think this is medium to strong, possibly even strong, I smoke it in the small pipe I reserve for Condor and the like. Quality stuff.

Burner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Burner (8)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This presents as neatly cut flakes smokable from the tin but benefits from a little drying. The burn is average usually requiring a few relights. The berry type topping for once compliments the tobacco flavour perfectly with none of the cloying yukkyness associated with some toppings. That said it is much more suble than an aromatic and the pure tobacco flavour shines through. This is a high quality tobacco that gives a satisfying flavoursome smoke with enough nicotine to be going on with. Highly recommended.

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (27)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a well balanced blend that I have tried in my Upshall, Stanwell, and my Boswells. All of these pipes did well with this blend. I like the mild berry along with the burlys going on during the smoke. The flakes are nice, and rub out well. This is a nice flake that I would tell anyone they should try. It seems to provide a nice even smoke in all of the pipes I have tried it in. I plan on getting some more.

gandalfthegrey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gandalfthegrey (3)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

ok folks this is quality stuff!!

i am smoking a bowl of this as i am writing this review.

wonderful full and smooth right to the bottom with a little berry flavor that fades nicely at the middle of the bowl,

smoking this in my castello sea rock chubby pot, i cut the flakes into cubes as i do with all my flakes which produce a very consistent burn with full flavor.

no tongue bite with this blend but its definately for the experienced pipster. why? because it needs to be savoured to realise its full potential. I had some irish flake yesterday and that was awesome uf can be considered as a little brother to irish flake. Dont smoke this on an empty stomach due to the lovely nicotine kick you get so smooth and rich. This not an aromatic dont be fooled because of the casing it is light, this is grown up stuff...

I highly recommend this, it comes out of the tin a little moist take a flake dry it out a little cut it into cubes pack it into your pipe tamp ever so lightly,

sit down grab a book light up and enjoy

it does not get any better than this!!!

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (44)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

For me, the strong burley tobacco and berry topping don't go together well. The topping, in the way it is being used here, reminds me of flavouring added to medicine. The combination is simply not congruent. In addition, this blend does not impart that very pleasant pipe aroma that I enjoy so much. And, I find it a bit of a chore to keep lit. Too many negatives for me.

As a result of its nic kick, I enjoyed this blend more when I was still addicted to nicotine (i.e. for a year or so after switching from cigarettes to pipes). Nowadays it holds little attraction. Still, I do recommend giving it a try, as the combination of strength and topping is unique and it clearly appeals to some smokers. Just come prepared: don't expect an aromatic with a kick, nor a good old plain tobacco.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

My tin is from 2004 (making it Murray's production), but I cracked it three weeks or so ago because I just had to try a new 'baccy, and have not been disappointed, though I usually wait until I have finished a tin or have a jar availiable. I am normally a Virginia man both in my geographical location and in my tobacco preferences, and this blend has a lot of Burley. But what a Burley it is! Wow, cool smoking, long smoking, nice topping that is strong in the tin yet fades a bit in the smoking (as a good topping should): what more could one ask? I've been smoking this pretty regularly since opening it, and have really enjoyed it. Just before packing the pipeful I am smoking right now in an unmarked handcarved smooth billiard, I noticed some nice sugar crystals when I held a flake in the light and at an angle. The smoke? Smooth, smooth, smooth! Nice for blowing out of the nose, a major consideration for blends I end up giving four stars to, and that is only half jest. The balance of the Virginia and Burley is perfect, and though some have criticized the topping, I find it pleasant and mainly unobtrusive. I am a fan of berry-like toppings, as long as they are not too strong. A couple other notes: first, the pipe I am smoking this in at the moment can overheat easily with some tobaccos, but is almost cool to the touch right now! I am sipping slowly, but still this points to good burning qualities. Second, I'm smoking inside, but the room note would probably be tolerable to a nonsmoker. But then, I'm not a nonsmoker, so I guess I don't know! No worries: I will be done with this tin in no time, and am seriously considering cellaring some. I will at least buy a couple more tins to smoke. I just wonder how much the more than five years of tin age (or perhaps the Murray's production, though there is nothing wrong with K&K) has helped my sample?

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The tin presentation is really first-rate, and alone makes it almost worth the price of admission.

The flakes crumble easily into the bowl, and burn beautifully. The tin aroma is of sweet tobacco, mixed with a bit of berry topping, I think. The topping, which smells like blueberry or raspberry, is fairly unobtrusive, but also likely unnecessary.

The tobacco itself smacks of dark fruit, and has a pleasant muskiness that makes it an agreeable companion. Rather like Irish Oak in its flavor profile, without the tendency to scorch.

A bit sweet for an everyday smoke, but I enjoyed it.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (60)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Here is a tobacco I couldn't do without.

Opening the tin, the aroma really is quite nice. The flakes look absolutely gorgeous, and the moisture level is just right. You could let it breathe for a bit but there's no need. The tobacco responds well to being folded or rubbed out. Personally, I just take a flake, fold, then stuff into a tall, narrow Meerschaum. This stuff burns so slow and so cool it's ridiculous. You can really taste the Burley, yet sadly only get hints of Virginia in there. It's quite spicy as well, which is nice.

If the main tobacco in this was Virginia instead of Burley, I would give it top marks, as I'm more of a Virginia kinda guy. But still, this is a very enjoyable, slow burning and tasty tobacco that there aren't really any faults with it. The fact that it burns so slow and cool are a big bonus in my books. Does not leave any mess in your pipe except a fine grey ash. Very easy to maintain and enjoy.

The flavor is quite full, and overall it's very satisfying, as it just lasts so long overall. A single flake goes a long way.

One of Peterson's best.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)
Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

Yet another tasteless smoke form Peterson's. Why do I bother with Peterson's blends if they are all tasteless ?

Well, I didn't buy this one out of choice. It was a bonus would you believe when I treated myself to a new pipe from E-bay. I guess on reflection it couldn't actually be classed as a bonus....

Tin-opening aroma reminds me of a pair of old leather boots, past their best. The flake itself is alligned in the tin in neat rows and breaks into ribbons quite easily. I still struggle with packing a pipe. In this case I tried rubbing it out rather than folding.

It produced that slight leathery taste that some folks might appreciate, but all it did for me was remind of 'old men's' pipes from when I was a kid in the 60' and 70's. It needs a lot of relights and in the end I got fed up with it and put it to one side.

Returning to a cooled pipe made little difference it was still a pretty awful smoke.

It says in the description from Peterson's something about a berry dressing. Er....no I think not.Indeed I can find no particualrly redeeming features taste-wise.

It burns hotter than Hades, bites like the Devil and leaves behind a demonic tongue bite, and a vile taste in the mouth.

I certainly won't be trying it again.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (24)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I've long since been cured of the " I-like-one-so-I-must-like- them-all" type of manufacturer, and this is no different. Continental processed tobacco is what I would call it. Packaged .. just like MacBaren, presented..just like MacB, Looks ...just like MacB,packs just like.... smokes, just like....tastes, just like MacB, bites tongue just like,makes throat sore.....But you've got the picture. Why some kinds of tobacco affect one smoker and not another is strange perhaps, but we're all different, with different sensitivities to our membranes in the mouth.

I'm getting tired of doing these reviews. All I want are one or two really good wholesome unpolluted tobaccos, and this isn't another of them.

Think of burning sugar, then think what it's doing to your tongue, mouth and lungs.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (30)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

University Flake was a pretty good blend. I liked the flakes themselves. They were easy to handle and made rubbing or stuffing simple and with the least amount of mess that is possible. It took three to four matches to light up, though, where most take only two. Contrary to most Peterson blends that I have tried, it stays lit for a while, usually needing only one relight. The tobacco burns to a nice, soft whiteish/ grey ash. The taste is strong, but I believe that is because I used an unfiltered pipe (as I always do). However, just because it's strong didn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I will keep it in rotation, but not as an everyday blend.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)

A true love it or hate it blend. Easy to work with, no relight issues, and really shines when rubbed to a fluffy state and packed in a tall thin bowl. This is not to take away from folding and stuffing two flakes at once in a large pipe, which is heavenly as well. The VAs in this aren't citrusy, but have a fruity essence to them and a nice smooth natural sweetness. The burley in the blend helps make this a very attention getting and quick to transform tobacco. I have been finding notes of toasted marshmallow, creme brule', heavy dark cocoa, and that blast of berry that hits me like a freight train every third or fourth time I end up snorking or retrohaling. This nic level is nice, not to huge a hit, but will satisfy in short order. I tried to make it bite, it won't. It can smoke hot and ashy, but won't hurt me. It burns to a clean dry gray ash and the pipe is left clean with hardly any dottle. My briars hardly need a swipe of the pipe cleaner, no slop to speak of. This is going to be in my rotation for some time to come.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Took a while to get used to this flake. In the right pipe (filtered) and sipped slowly.. This is a flavoursome little number.

It tastes/smokes like a slightly fruit flavoured FVF by SG. Equally as strong as FVF, and as I have found with most flakes, has to be smoked slowly to reap the rewards.

Recommended if you fancy a break from pure aromatics. You can certainly taste the tobacco, but the mild berry type topping ensures that those who aren't ready for a full strong 'tobacco only' flavour (such as Irish Flake) are not offended..

Smoke it slow...and give it a go!

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (64)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A friend was kind enough to provide me with some flakes of this (a couple of years ago, so you might want to take my review with a grain of salt). I never made any coherrent notes of it while smoking it, but I was told this was about the best flake you could possibly put in your pipe, and all other Peterson's I've tried (before and since) have been very good, so I was pretty excited to try it. But somehow it failed to impress me very much. I was looking forward to have my head spinning from the strength and "excessive" nicotine content. But that never happened. In fact it was more mild and dull than strong. Not unpleasant, as I recall, just unremarkable. I might give it another shot some time (if nothing else than to provide a more fair review, and/or add a tin to collection), but I won't be in any particular rush to hunt down a tin.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

University Flake reminds me very much of Erinmore Flake. Same fruity kind of top note out of the tin. Shortish, mottled flakes (I remember Erinmore having a slightly darker look). Similar flavor profile, similar strength. Both are composed of clearly high quality leaf, which despite the apparent flavoring, still provide a rich tobacco taste. Peterson explains in the tin description that University Flake is composed of both Virginias and Burleys, which is how I interpreted Erinmore Flake (I would guess University Flake is bigger on the Burleys). Overall, two great tobaccos, but neither are a favorite of mine--though I did manage to finish my tin of Erinmore Flake, and it's very likely that University Flake will receive the same treatment.

Three and a Half of Five.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Peterson's University Flake is no longer produced by Murray, Sons & Co (Ireland), and is currently produced by Kohlhase & Kopp of Germany. It's current tin description reads, "An easy smoking blend of fine Virginia and Burley tobaccos, made the traditional way." According to the K&K website, the top dressing applied, which had previously been described as berry, is "pflaume" (translated as plum). Not having ever smoked the Murray version, I can not say whether or not the current incarnation of University Flake is identical to its predecessor.

The flake presentation is one of neatly layered, medium thickness strips of a medium to dark brown with some light speckling, and very similar to the way bacon is packaged. The tin note has a pleasantly sweet plum-like smell that translates into the taste while smoking, and by no means cloying. This is not a typical aromatic by any means. The plum is way in the background, but there is a very nice underlying, subtle sweetness throughout the bowl. It always retains true tobacco flavor. The flakes were not at all wet, but very flexible to work with - like the consistency of a fresh Twizzler. It took a bit to get it lit and keep it going as it is very fresh straight out of the tin. These flakes are sturdy and well put together. The overall smoking experience was a mix of plum flavoring with a nice spicy presence that registers at the back of the throat and similar to Irish Flake. When fresh, it has a tendency to start off harsh, very much like IrFl does and more so than IrFl. This, for me, generally subdues after the tin is opened for several days. It was, however, a cool and bite-free smoking experience. Some may find this distracting from the true tobacco flavor, but it wasn't very strong and stayed in the background; quite pleasantly. This is Burley forward with the Virginia providing subtle background notes. You are left at the bowl's end with a coarse, medium gray ash. Drying this out some brings out the flavor even more. The presence of nicotine is definitely in evidence, but less so than with its brother, Irish Flake.

Being a college professor among other things, I was initially attracted to the name. If you like IrFl but want a little less in the strength department and a tad of flavor beyond pure tobacco taste, University Flake is superior in this regard. 4 stars.

UPDATE 12-14-14: As with Irish Flake, University Flake is no longer produced by K&H. Still a great tasting/smelling flake. What I do notice is whatever harshness I experienced with this is now non existent. Kudos to the new blender, whoever you are.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The more i smoke it, the more i begin to really like it. As usual, I'm smoking it right now, as i'm writing this short review.

tobacco appearance in the tin: very neat arranged flakes in a dark-brown color.

smell: fantastic...to me it smells like Swiss dark chocolate.

filling the bowl: these flakes are so moist! at least in my tin they were...almost the consistency of dough. Rubbing the flakes impossible, they wont crumble, so moist they are. So i put some flakes aside to dry them a little. The folding method doesnt work for me...so i just rip them apart or cut the flakes with scissors in moderate chunks and fill the pipe very loose since flakes are pressed and they will expand.

lighting up: it takes me twice as long as other tobaccos to get this baby going...because of the moisture. but once lit this tobacco burns cool, slow and stays lit fairly easy.

taste: nutty-sweet. at first i didnt believe it when i read the reviews that there is some blueberry-flavour in this tobacco. but i'm starting to taste this gentle berry-aroma, too. and what can i say:" i love it!"

strength: in the beginning (first few bowls very strong). Once u get used to this blend it's a fine smoke.

Sometimes i love this blend...sometimes i dont like it too much...because it can be a little harsh on my palate.

This is top-quality tobacco. Worth a try. Will i buy it again? probably not...it's just too inconsistent on my palate.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Lots of reviews and divergent views. Reminds me of Firedance with a little more punch. I was smoking it in a sm-med bowl. I like it better in a bigger bowl. The original tin was in a local cigar store. It had been there a long time I'm guessing from the layer of dust. This is not as refined, if that is the word, as Firedance, but I like it. Near the same amount of berry, but less tobacco sweetness. Anyway, some hefty tobacco flavors develop in a bigger bowl, and the nicotine rings my ears a little. I will get another tin. I like the way this burns, and I like its strength.

Percy Dovetussel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Percy Dovetussel (7)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This University student discovered this flake a pleasant surprise. Previous experience with cuts of this variety were always muddled in a deep smell of overmoisturized plugs similar to many Mac Baron's mixtures. This tin was the exception to what I had believed was a rule. I agree with the other reviewers here that it is a good all rounder tobacco that can be incorporated as a part of your daily rotation.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

It used to be my recreation smoke, sitting back in my porch watching the birds and the planes. Now I prefer some other blends but I still like UF, due to it´s high tobacco quality. U might say I dislike the flavouring, okay but the mixture as a whole is perfectly composed to smoke it in a medium to large bowl. I am the fold/twist/stuff flake smoker, I only rub flakes if they are too wet for me, but UF isn´t that way. Everybody who smokes flake tobacco knows, it is hard work to get the tobacco going, but after some relights there is not much maintenance needed anymore. The aroma is there with the first sip, the nicotine approaches slightly, within the middle of the bowl there is full strength and power it loosens a bit towards the end because the taste of tobacco is the main element at last. The flavouring is simply gone - only the nicotine is still there. Recommended for large pipes 3/4 within a good amount of time, once lit properly it burns down slowly, not recommended to start smoking flake tobaccos.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a Burley/Kentucky flake, fortified with a dash of some sort of berry topping.

It is fairly strong, cool burning, with no bite whatsoever. I tend to take scissors to flakes and turn them into cube cuts.

This makes them quite easy to light and tend.

Truth be told, I did not care for the intrusion of the fruit flavor, and I prefer this blend's stable mate, Irish Flake.

The smokiness of fire cured Kentucky just doesn't meld well with fruit toppings in my opinion.

But this isn't bad. If you don't like Burley though, stay away...

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

A savoury, robust and strong Burley-esque flake, in my opinion. The casing does not divert us at all from the tobacco taste, although it does round off some of it. The smoke is dense and full of flavour, humid but not unpleasantly so. I cannot really put in the same class as a Virginia like Capstan, nor in the aromatic like the Amphora or Larsen's, or even less in the english-type mixtures. It is what it is.

I have to admit that I first bought this blend out of a whim, a frivolous assumption if you will. I am a professor and a pipe smoker, and because of this coincidence I thought: "Well, University Flake ? this one is for chaps like me?" Ah, such vanity.

It turns out that, obviously, this flake could have been christened with thousands of other names, and all might sound equally appropriate. There is no such thing as an "academic tobacco" ? neither in tradition, nor in inherent properties.

Yet I started to get fond of this blend. I enjoy it after lunch, when I go for a stroll in the campus. Somehow I conjure for myself this myth of a proper University tobacco. Thank God Peterson did put some great quality one underneath this label, otherwise these flights of fancy would be literally unsavory.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)
Very Strong Strong Full Tolerable

Er, no thanks.

A very strange combination of blueberry-ish essence and strong burley flake.

Beautiful presentation - Peterson is always immaculate. But I just don't like it. It is very strong, tastes kind of strange, and just doesn't work for me.

This is a late night blend - if you want something to put you to sleep (with a hammer), this is an easy smoke and I can see why people would choose it.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

** I recently revisited this flake, only it's the newer EU made University Flake rather than the Murray's I had smoked before. While I cannot say that the new flake provides an objectionable experience, it cannot compare to the original. The new tin I opened had a bit of the same tin aroma, but less tobaccoey to the nose. Smoking it brought about a sharpness to the tongue not experienced with the original Murray's, and it was nowhere near the nicotine bomb as the original. Additionally, the room note seemed a bit on the acrid side. Still a decent smoke, but a mere shadow of its former self.

This is a very pleasant tobacco, and I can understand why it has so many loyal fans. I found it to be rather moist and difficult right from the tin, and it required numerous relights while smoking. I am sure that airing it out would correct this.

While UF is a nice, rather somewhat tasty tobac, I don't think that I will buy another tin of it. It's good, but it doesn't do anything for me that anything else I'm already smoking doesn't. In other words, if I'm in a pinch and can't get hold of a can of Orlik Golden Slices then I would probably use UF as a substitute. Otherwise, I prefer the slightly sharper taste of the Orlik.

UF lacks the sharpness of other va. flakes, and the topping isn't quite enough to carry the day for me. I found that rubbing it out made it easier to keep lit, but then I lost a lot of flavor. Folding the flake and stuffing it in the bowl brought about the best flavor and aroma. But still, just not quite there for me yet.

For anyone whom something like Erinmore is waaay too aromatic for, but still wants something halfway up that alley, this would be a very good flake to try. I got zero tongue bite, and it finished down to the bottom of the bowl relatively well (as long as I kept it lit). UF has that ole' timey warmth to it. As I stated; were it not that I have already found something with a little more zest to it (and at a better price I might add), I would probably pick up some more of this.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (59)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

I prefer natural virginia flakes (without casing) but this one is funny ! Easy to kip lit, medium to full body, good strenght and pleasant room note

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Had I reviewed this one tin ago, I would have happily sung it's praises and given four stars, sadly, for some unknown reason, the last tin has been a little different, and I say sadly as I bought three tins together, so if I've got a bad batch, I have a problem !!!

My first several tins were excellent, rich and full, with the mahogany coming through nicely to give a different an pleasant experience to a pure Virginia lover. "The thinking mans tobacco" is the claim on the tin, and true to form, lighting this up in the evening, my mind would wander nicely, until this last tin, then two thirds the way through the bowl, I thought I'd swallowed a golf ball and / or a lump of lead, not what I was hoping for, and it wasn't just one or two of the flakes, it was the rest of the tin.

I will most likely soldier on, and crack open another tin and may well purchase another in the not too distant future for comparison, but for the moment only three stars as this is a good quality tobacco rich and full with much to offer even without the Latakia which I associate with "Rich and Full tobacco's" (and also burning lorry tyres come to think of it)

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (31)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Very Strong

Please read my ratings with the understanding that I primarily gravitate towards aromatics. This was simply to much for my family to bear so it is probably good it didn't become one of my favorites.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)

I have been smoking this tobacco off and on for a year, liking it best dried out and lightly broken in the pipe. I find a subtly sweetness and good basic tobacco taste. It burns clean and cool. All around good smoke in a nicely seasoned brier. I just wish it was available in bulk.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a very nice flake and although I can't smoke it daily, once or twice a week is very nice. I agree with most of the previous reviewers regarding UF's strength and pleasant room note. I find that this one is much better rubbed out, thus bringing out it's distinct flavor which is otherwise muted by the burley content. It is a surprisingly low maintenance smoke that behaves well as long as you pay proper attention and don't puff mindlessly. Recommended

Light Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Light (7)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Plenty of reviews and to be honest most of it has been said. I found it a very nice tobacco, uncomplicated and honest. The presentation of the tin is nice and on opening there?s a hint of berries for sure. I can?t seem to find it once I?m smoking it though.

The tobacco rubs out easy and packing is no problem. Moisture level is just fine as far as I?m concerned, just left it out for a couple of minutes before packing my pipe. Initial light up is easy and few relights are required.

From beginning to end this is a burley cannon? I liked it. Sweet virgina at the beginning fading away to the end. The taste, I find, varies only slightly but becomes fuller to the end. All the way through the smoke, I?d describe it as nutty, sweet and buttery becoming a bit spicy at the end.

A cool and dry smoke, giving no tongue bite but beware of the nicotine hammer! There?s a pleasant aftertaste. I find it a tad on the heavy side so I prefer it after dinner or in the evening. I assume a 9 mm filter could take the edge of too. The room note was pleasant and did not disturb anybody nor did it make any heads turn? it?s a very simple and discreet tobacco?all for YOU.

Not a top favorite, I?ll be buying this one when I run out and smoke it occasionally.

Reviewing tobacco became a lot easier with the help of this form: http://www.theitalianpipe.com/alldoc/tob_test_form.pdf

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)
Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I bought this with high hopes....images of professors and musty books and all that... The reality that I discovered is that this tobacco's good. Not real good, not great, but it's good. The taste is there and ample, but not nearly as complex or robust as I prefer. I'm more of a VAPER guy, and I think that the burley might be putting me off here. The nicotine kick wasn't as notable as some other smokes. Also, it smoked a bit hot for my liking. All in all, the entire experience was less than perfect. Just "good." So, while I intend to leave this in the rotation for the time being, I doubt I'll be tearing up the streets looking for another tin.

Update August 2007: I really, really want to like this. I really do. When you open the tin, the smell just fills you with a sense of wonderful anticipation!! The flake cut looks perfect and smells great. The ritual of loading up a bowl and lighting is almost enough to drive you insane with this stuff. However, once I touch flame to tabac, the show's over. Like I said before, this stuff is just okay. The taste is thin and washed out, sort of like "diet tabacco" if there is such a thing. With aging, it's improved a tad, but not nearly enough to justify another tin. I hope you like it better than I did. 2.3 stars (maybe)

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (37)
Very Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my second or third flake. From the first bowlfull, I noticed a big nicotine kick. Now, I don't smoke cigarettes, and my usualy blends aren't big on nicotine, so this may not be an issue for others, but sometimes when I smoke this, I get knocked flat by the nicotine.

I love the flavor, and if this is at all representative of what burley can do to a blend, I'll be looking for more of them. Smoked this out of a small bent billiand and a tallish Canadian with a tapered bowl, both dedicated to flakes. I've experimented with rubbing out to varying degress, but found the best way to smoke this is to fold the slice in third, roll up a bit, and insert directly into the pipe. If there are any little bits leftover, put them on top to facilitate an easy light.

I like this stuff and think I'll keep it around, if only for a once-in-a-while smoke. My daily fare is Balkans, but this is a great Saturday night smoke. Recommended.

Update: I did just that last night - a Saturday night change up - and it was just boring. Too much nicotine, not near enough flavor. No longer recommended.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)

Much too dry a tobacco. When you get a flake which you have to rub out yourself, you want something that sticks together and has its own cohesion. Not the case in two different tins of this stuff, for me. I took it on, under the recommendation of a fine tobacconist in Memphis, because he claimed it was his "mainstay" for all-day light tobacco smoking. Well, it turned out to be more like smoking paper than tobacco, for me at least. I can see why he'd smoke it all day. I do recognize a rather "refined" situation in this tobacco, in that the leaves are carefully selected and matured, and that there isn't any of that crud that they put in cigarettes like seeds, grapes, arabian camel hair, or sticks and stones that break my bones. But aside from the care that they've put into making sure nothing went wrong, I can't see that anything went RIGHT. It's just ... umm ... tobacco in a tin. Boring.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

UF has the most reviews currently of any Peterson offering, and as such I will not wax eloquent in providing yet another. UF is a good quality burley tobacco with an aromatic berry essence. The 'fruit' soon burns off and I find this flake responds well to both a large pipe and generous resting after the charring light. Not overly complex but reassuring in the way a quality burley blend (sadly there are so few left) such as this should be. For myself, UF provides an alternative to the American style burlies that are so prolificly reviewed herein.

bobspipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobspipe (14)
Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this out of curosity and fairly good reviews here. The flake here seem more like a crumble cake which I like. The taste has that sweet / sour mix that others have noted, and smokes cool. I probably haven't smoked it enough to discern all the complexity that others have talked about, but am inspired to look for them. What has consistently struck me is the potency -- pretty strong stuff -- not enough to make me queesy, but enough to grog me out a bit. I find I need to try this after dinner or before going to bed.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I thought that University Flake was ok, althought not one of my favorites. Room note was kind of so-so, more like the smell of a very mile cigar afterwards. Burn was fine, lighting pretty easily, and burned a little hot if I wasn't careful; it would bite a wee bit. Burned all the way to the bottom of the bowl, leaving a nice fluffy ash, and smoked dry. I never did really pick up on a lot of complexity and the "fruitiness" that others have. But it was a good smoke, and although I wouldn't go out of my way to find it, I wouldn't hesitate too much to get it again if I saw it.

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This tobacco has a unique combination of flavors. The spice is difficult to describe. Not exactly peppery or woody or nutty, but a combination of all these, and a bit of curry perhaps? The flavors are a nice change of pace for my usual fare of Virginia or Va/Per blends. It is advertised as good in all kinds of weather and this is true in my experience. I?ve enjoyed it in very cold and very hot weather. It works in a variety of pipes, either broken up or just folded and stuffed into the pipe. It is dry enough to smoke right out of the tin.

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)

I decided to smoke it unrubbed and rolled it up. I only needed half a flake to fill my brand new small Lectura pipe half-full for the pristine smoke. The tobacco lit up after a charring light and tamping, and didn't need another re-light, and I smoked VERY slowly for an hour straight! I even started to get a little nervous when the pipe just didn't seem to wanna go out. At first it was just a deep mellow smoke and I felt like I was drinking it. After a while a sweetish flavour appeared followed by a "nutty" taste. The smoke pouring out was massive! This tobacco is a bit like a red wine or perhaps really, really dark chocolate with a tang of bitterness and very little sugar.

Towards the end there was a marked bitterness. I accredit this to the pipe being brand new and am already looking forward to my next bowl of flake!

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

As I?ve noted before, Peterson blends, for me, defy comparison to other blends I have smoked and UF is no exception. Blueberries, cherries, raspberries, chocolate and berries, in general, are mentioned in the comments from many previous reviewers. This blend should have been named ?Tutti-Fruiti Flake.? Fruity it is. If this was the early 20th century, I wouldn?t be surprised to have seen the neighborhood vegetable man hawking this stuff from his pushcart. Some of the reviewers stated this fruity aroma did not translate into their smoking experience. For me it did, although it was not overpowering but the fruity flavor was there and not to my liking. If this is a tobacco taste, then I am at a loss; this is not what I am looking for or expect in a pipe tobacco.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 3 out of 10.

Rev. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Smoke (20)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I received a generous sample of Peterson University Flake in the package I received from my Secret Santa. After 4 bowls, the baccy is now gone and I would like to do a review of it.

I thank you Santa for the opportunity to try this, I probably wouldn't have ventured there on my own. It has broadened my horizons.

First off, University Flake is described as: Mahogany, Burley & Kentucky blended pipe tobacco. This is from 1998 (the last number is smeared, but I believe that is what it was).

1) Aesthetics - I love flakes and/or c(k)akes. I like the way they look. This was a gorgeous flake, thicker than most I am familiar with, a good 3mm at least. It is rather milk chocolate colored with some lighter bits and some darker flecks. Very appealing flake to look at.

2) Pre-light Aroma - This is a burley blend, straight up tobacco. There isn't much hint of sweetness here. There is a hint of hazelnut(?), but that's it for sweetness. This is definitely quality tobacco, musty is the good sort of way.

3) Pre-light Condition - As with all flakes, you can smoke this as is, maybe rolled up, or you can rub it out fully. I like the tactile sensation of rubbing out a tobacco, so I rub the first bowl fully, the second one mostly, roll up the third, rub out the fourth fully again. I like my tobaccos dry, not crumbly dry like some people I know, but dry - the moisture content is on the high end of that spectrum. As a flake, I expect that, so I am pleased.

4) Lighting - This took to flame very easily. It burned long and steady, slow and easy. There was a need for relight, but that's more from me than that tobacco.

5) Flavor - Well, the best smoke and flavor came from fully rubbing this blend out. While I will describe it as slightly nutty, it was just bland. This produces good, clean tobacco flavor - but it is very dull. This is wonderful burley, if you like that sort of thing. Personally, I need some spice, some sweetness, some highs or some lows - this just plods along.

6) Room Note - Personally, I like the smell of tobacco as much as I like the taste. This room note was that of rich tobacco, but it didn't have that zing that made it appealing to me. Of course, it also didn't have anything that made it appealing to the non-smoker. That being said, it was also not very offensive either - "slightly nutty" one of my boys said.

7) Dottle - Dottle? What dottle? Nothing but ash. And, incredibly, a dry pipe. In fact, even the pipe cleaners came out virtually clean.

8) Overall Experience - This was a very good tobacco, high quality. This burned nicely, simply puffing along. It didn't bite at all, very smooth.

9) Recommendation - Hey, if you like burley blends, this is a great one. It won't find a place in my cellar, it just isn't my cup of tea, but it is most definately a quality blend.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (75)

I first smoked some University Flake at the beginning of my affair with pipe-smoking and thought that it was terrible! Bitter, uncompromising, dreadful.

Some months thereafter I gave up aromatics and began enjoying English blends. Moving into Latakia and Balkan territory a few months after that (and where I sit squarely at the moment) I decided it was time to try the Uni Flake once more.

Delicious! Flavorful! Sweet! I like the slow, hot burn although the pipe heats up quite quickly and breaks are required.

One negative would be the "goop" produced- whether it is a product of combusion or melted flavoring I do not know. It is, though, some of the most rancid moisture ever to inadvertantly enter my mouth (outside of that one time at a go-go bar in Thailand).

Notwithstanding, I've smoked several bowls of this today and I'm really enjoying it.

Images conjured by this blend include buxom dancers invariably interested in me, for my personality, in a Las Vegas strip club.

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What a wonderful burley blend this is. The tin aroma is quite strong and realy a lot like erinmore flake. So I gave it the same treatment of airing in an open tin for a few weeks before even trying to smoke this. Even if the tin aroma remains strong and reminiscent of erinmore, the taste is nothing like it. (Of course erinmore is a topped VA and this is a topped burley) I found the topping to be quite discreet once lit. The taste is very sweet (not too sweet, luckily) and deep. There is quite a bit of nicotine, but it is manageable. I smoke this unrubbed and it is a very SLOW burning blend (1 flake is enough for the evening), it does not bite and does not require special attention. For me this has become an alternative for nightcap in the category of deep, strong, relaxing blends for the evening. On friday night, to forget the workweek, I match it with a lighter tasting scotch whisky which brings out even more of that wonderful sweetness.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A somewhat under-rated product. There is little point in assessing something by the standards of what it does not claim to be. This does not claim to be a Virginia flake, and if expected to smoke like one will disappoint. Approached on its own merits it is strong, very subtly flavoured, beautifully made and - at least in my experience - long and cool smoking. I find all tobaccos deliver their best if kept on the verge of going out and University Flake is no exception. To appreciate its merits it has only to be compared to something like, say, Amphora Original Blend (brown pack), which is concocted from similar tobaccos. The Irish score over the Dutch in this instance.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I liked it, though I would not smoke it every day. It's a different thing from all the other tobaccos, it has its niche of fans and I think I'm among them. It has a unique flavour, it reminds you of exotic oriental markets with all the spices that fill the air with their fragrance. Good for some evening smokes (it's strong), not for an all-day smoke because you can easily get tired of that flavour.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (53)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I generally do not like aromatics, but I have to put this one in a class by itself. All other reviews have been helpful and more or less on the money, but I had to chime in with this: a single flake broken in half and loaded lightly in a group 5 sized Ropp cherrywood was outstanding! I barely rubbed it at all and sort of pushed the "sticks" vertically into the bowl. It started off with a burley-and-bark kind of smell, nicely reminiscent of the better aspects of Half-and-Half, with a definite cherry aroma. Smoked slowly, it was cool and clean to the bottom. A pleasant surprise with a real nicotine kick.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Some reviewers describe this blend as having a top note flavoring like that of cherry or raspberry. I don't think this is flavored with that at all. I think it is due to the dark fired kentucky leaf, blended and pressed with it's other leaf ingredients that produces a tin aroma that is subtly reminiscent of cherry/raspberry as an olfactory perception. If any one has tried Dunhill's Ready Rubbed a similar quality was pressent. A flake that is much more mellow than a straight VA flake due to being blended with some burley. It has a touch of smokiness from the dark fired leaf along with some light virgina sweetness. This is a good product for those looking for a milder flake with a slightly differnt character, especially for afficianados of dark fired leaf, which I am one.

- Recommended

Strong Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A disgusting tobacco: grey, dull, cigarettish and anonimous. It has a light raspberry flavoring which, luckily, doesn't translate into the smoking experience. At times a bit harsh and acrid, generally devoid of attractive elements: usually burley and kentucky can be much tastier than here. It burns cool and slow but needs some relights: after mid-bowl the taste goes really downhill. It's quite strong in nicotine, so beware: if the taste was tolerable, this wouldn't be a problem, but as it is the only decent feature is its nice room aroma, which I have been told is "very pipey".

Stogie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stogie (26)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

If a tobacco could win a high rating on looks alone, this one would have 4 stars. This is one of the few tins that I did not finish before reviewing. I still have about three flakes that I am about to send off to a peer.

Tin Aroma: A definite scent of some sort of berry floats out of the tin as it sits in front of me. I don't find this at all off-putting, and if I had not read the reviews prior to smoking it, I would have likely thought that the berry taste would transfer through to the smoke.

Visual: As mentioned in the opening, this is the finest looking flake I have ever smoked. This tin is a few years old, and the fine sugar crystals dusting the thick flakes just add a special zing to the meaty textures of walnut and mahogany colored tobacco.

Texture: As I hold a single flake in my hand, it strikes me that this tobacco actually has some heft to it. It resists bending in my hand for rubbing out due to it's thickness and density. Also, I can even feel the slight graininess of the sugar crystals.

Pack/Pipe: Flake rubs out into long stringy strands of reddish brown. Although it felt dry and even leathery in flake form, it is actually quite moist, and I even had to be careful not to over-pack it. I found this did better in wider but shallow pot style pipes. A short shanked Ashton Sovereign Pot was one of the few pipes that kept this tobacco tolerable.

Lighting/Burn: Tobacco lit easily, and required only a charring light and a 2nd match to get things going well. I can't believe how much smoke this tobacco produces. Often after light, I found myself waving my hand furiously to clear a spot in front of my face! The tobacco was easy to over-tamp, but once I became familiar with it no relights were needed until the very end of the each bowl.

1st 3rd: Up to this point you probably think I liked this tobacco. Well, unfortunately, it has all of the positive attributes except one - flavor. And this is unforgivable. The burley does add a wonderful volume to the smoke, but from the first light onward, I was not impressed with any real pronounced taste except that of somewhat bitter burley,and at the beginning a little sweetness.

2nd 3rd: More of the same. the bowl often became very very warm here, although the smoke did not give me tongue bite.

Final 3rd: About this time the only reason I am continuing to smoke is either habit, or to properly cure the bowl. Almost nasty, and just nothing enjoyable about it.

Notes: I wanted to enjoy this tobacco, but it just misses on alot of levels.

Stogie rating of: 2 Tortured Te Amos

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

The aroma of chocolate and raspberry signals a problem. However, the flavor of the smoke offers only a hint of berry, but it is enough. The flavor of the tobacco is acceptable but not distinctive. As with a good many aromatics, this tobacco leaves the unpleasant aftertaste of cooked extract, and it lives on. I did manage to smoke the entire tin over a period of six months. I love berries on ice cream, not in my pipe. Paddy.

Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UF is a bit of a conundrum. Based on its name, tin art, and tobacco appearance, you would think that this tobacco would turn out to be sophisticated and complex. Upon lighting up I found this to be the case for a short while. Under a fruity topping I found an interesting melange of tobacco flavors. Right about the time I started to really get into it however the flavors changed to more of a cheap burley cased with some cherry. The relights on this stuff are terrible. All I can taste is sour, cheap burley, not the sophisticated, upscale tobacco taste I had anticipated. This stuff was better in a corn cob but not much. Although I am new to quality burley blends I have to say that all of the other ones I have tried are much better. This stuff comes out of the tin very moist, but at the same time this is as good as you are going to get. Drying it out only makes the cheap burley taste that much more evident. Speaking of taste, somehow they have managed to take all of the good qualities of burley out of this smoke. There is no nutty richness, and though I never got bit, this stuff did burn a bit hot. I find that Macbaren Navy flake is much better if you are looking for a tasty burley flake. I was excited at the prospect of trying Edgeworth slices and Kingfisher after trying MNF, but after UF perhaps I got my expectation a little too high. I will just have to try them and see. This stuff was very nice in the nicotine department however, and packs a relatively nice punch. Oh well you win some and you lose some!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Unfortunately, this blend did not agree with me at all. Upon opening the tin, you are greeted by medium brown and light flakes. The tin aroma is nice, with a touch of frutiness, a mild casing? It seems a little moist, but rubbed out fairly easily and packed easily as well.It lit easily and only needed one relight.The flavor seemed harsh and not like other flakes I have recently tried. It reminded me of the stale, nasty odor of the cigarettes my co-workers smoke, blech! I trudged on through three bowls in different sized pipes dedicated to virginia blends but the flavor just kept pushing me away.The burn was nice with no tongue-bite and left a light grey ash with no dottle. For flakes, I will go elsewhere, but thank God for "Old Dublin", now that I like......

Grundie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grundie (26)
Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is rather harsh and tastes sickly, thats the best description I can give it. The tin aroma smells to me, like fruit yoghurt, I can't determine the fruit, but theres definately a yoghurt smell.

The flakes rub out easily and are only slightly moist. Upon lighting there is a stong fruity burst, which is pleasant, but alas does not last long before a descent in to harshness.

After a minute or so's puffing the flavour leaves and you are left with a very bland virginia/burley flavour, with the burley predominating. Unforunately it is accompanied by strong bitterness which makes your saliva taste like disinfectant and it only gets worse.

It is a hard tobacco to light and keep lit, especially in the second half of the bowl and each relight makes the bitterness worse. This is despite careful rubbing out.

The only thing this tobacco has in it's favour is there is no tongue bite, however the bitterness and nasty taste make this tobacco hard to enjoy. Plus the massive amounts of nictotine can make you feel a bit funny as well.

I have a few tins of this stuff, I'll cellar them for a while and see if they improve with age.