Originally manufactured in Ireland by Murray, and now manufactured in Denmark by Mac Baren. The new tin description reads "An easy smoking blend of fine Virginias and Burley tobaccos, made the traditional way."

Notes: A light, berry-like top dressing applied that is evident in the smoke. The K&H website describes it as "pflaume" which is the German word for plum.

BrandPeterson

2.9
SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (59)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Finally tried this. I've been putting it off. But, after getting hit REALLY hard by Irish Flake lately I wanted to try what is billed as a lighter version. Lighter is right. You'll be disappointed if you are looking for deep tobacco with lots of variations. This is standard and traditional VA and Burley with a light casing of Plum just as the ingredients/marketing and reviews state.

With that said. I found this blend really tasty and a great add to my rotation. It does have a good does of Nicotine by the time I got to the bottom I was feeling it, but it's much lighter than Irish Flake. It's sweet and tasty, light and refreshing, smooth slow burning smoke. No dottle at the end, burned clean. Taste like it smells in the tin.

I let a flake dry about 4 hours and did a fold and stuff in my thick walled 309 Peterson Standard. The Va Burley combo works great together and you get the traditional tobacco taste and the fruity casing comes in and out but stays with you throughout. It also has a very pleasant aroma as the Plum revels itself there are well. Great blend. I have no complaints. I would buy this again. Great standard blend for a everyday smoke if desired. Recommended.

Pipe Used: 1942 309 Peterson standard

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin. 4 hour pre- air dry.

Purchased From: JR Cigars

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (33)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you've read my other reviews, you may have noticed I love flake tobaccos. And this is no exception to that rule.

You'll open up this tin and find a relatively dark tobacco with smatterings of beige to light brown specs. And you may even take notice of a berry (guess it's actually plum) undertone. The flakes are cut very cleanly similar to Solani's ABF tin presentation (in relation to the cut).

Like most flakes they retain moisture very well so it would be a good idea to let this dry out for at least 20 minutes if not more. Now, I see both sides of the argument/preference. And that is; Do I do a roll and stuff my flake? Or rub out my flake? I've come to realize for my smoking tastes I usually keep it to a case by case (or flake by flake basis). Maybe it's the flavoring that has been added but I find this does not burn as well when rolled and stuffed. If you do decide to do that be careful not to tamp too often because it might pack too tightly and become difficult to tamp further. So for this flake I typically rub it out, which also helps with drying it out.

Now, Tobacco strength really is a relative concept. Some may consider this weak (and rightfully so when compared to so many other KO blends, and others may be floored by the vitamin N in this) so I think Medium to Strong is the best option for this. If you've found this website, you probably know your limits so choose accordingly. Now for the person who is getting coming from Aromatic style blends, this can be very strong. Not necessarily as strong as the Irish Flake, but competent in its own right. I think it would be smart to eat something before you smoke this as the vitamin N is not lacking. I would also recommend having a drink handy for two reasons, 1. The nicotine might make knock you back a little and 2. The burleys in this blend can be quite strong. It definitely has that typically "Burley kick" that you hear about and the drink may help ease the feeling in your mouth/throat.

I really enjoyed the flavoring in this. It's not always present in every puff but when it does come into play, it works very well with the Burley and VA dichotomy. I think the plum (I think it's closes to a blueberry but tomato tomato ;) also helps the room note as it's nice than a typical VaBur stink haha.

I really enjoyed this tobacco and will usually keep some tins of this readily at hand. The Vitamin N doesn't bother me but I don't think I could make this an all day smoke because of said burley kick. I typically smoke this in my Peterson Donegal Rocky with the p-lip because I feel it helps alleviate some of the bite/irritation. If you're looking to test the waters of stronger tobaccos with a nice flavor, I think this would be a good starting point.

Pipe Used: Typically my Peterson Donegal 107(p-lip)

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Bought a tin and just rubbed out the whole lot on to a large piece of newspaper. Folded over and then left out for 24 hours. Next, into a jar and left in the dark for another full day. Third day, emptied back out on to the paper and left out again for 12 hours this time. Re-jarred her, except for a bowl's worth. Put the jar back in the dark. A bit more rubbing out and finally packed my pipe. As it's Peterson's, I decided to use my Irish Army 999. I made a fresh coffee and took myself to the shed. As the light was fading I lit a few candles and sat back in my chair. Always matches for me, light, tamp, light. Half an hour later and I'm in some kind of trance, staring at nothing, perfectly happy. A great thick 'proper' smoke with a wonderful dose of the 'N'. Which is why I came here. Another 30 minutes later and I'm still sipping away, wanting to get another drink but feeling like I am tattooed to the chair. I'm really enjoying this tobacco. A lot. Because of this brilliant site, I can make very informed choices of what I am gonna buy. I know what I like and I know what I don't. As the week goes on, I open the jar for an hour or so and then close her back up after removing what I need from it. This Flake just keeps getting better and better, rounder, fuller and slightly sweeter. I'm fully aware that our more experienced pipe smokers here don't need to be told of the wonders of allowing your 'baccy to age a little, with a few days extra curing etc., but if you're fairly new to the hobby, please give it a go. But don't use your tin, use a jar. And keep it in the dark. You will not be disappointed. Thanks for reading!!

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (33)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

In the tin a nice nutty smell from the Burley. Rubbed it out and produced a pleasant smell. On first light, a sweety berry taste was notable. Very pleasant tobacco. Drink a coffee with this blend as it is a relatively strong blend. Burley is clear but in a good balanced way. Further down the bowl, the sweetness of the berry / plum stayed with me.

newmystic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmystic (3)

I love this flake. For once I can taste the plum topping and it is delicious. I liken the flavor of this to "toasted plum" This is the first non-lakeland flake that I will finish the tin in two weeks and quickly order more. If you have a couple tins lying around and you know your not going to finish them, Ill trade you my tin of Nightcap on the spot.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dunmore

Age When Smoked: 46

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This used to be a wonderful flake with a kick in the pants. They washed this blend into a wimpy reflection of what it once was, to make room for its big brother to be the only strong flake on the corner from the Peterson line...Irish Flake (which makes me gag just thinking of smoking it). The Plum or Raspberry topping is still there, but a testicle has been removed rendering this flake nearly flat and just a huge disappointment.

Smoke in peace, brothers and sisters of the leaf.

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Had been meaning to try this tobacco for some time and when I finally did I was a bit nonplussed to say the least. The smell on opening the tin was very promising with the grassy Virginias mixed with a deep richness of the light casing,fruity and vinous! This was a promising start. However on rubbing out and lighting (which it does quite easily) the promised rich plum flavours just were not there. The taste was not unpleasant a sturdy simple Virginia taste with some sweetness and woodiness but little or no fruit flavour. It was also quite 'wet' at the bottom of the bowl with a high proportion of waste. It further frustrated me that the flavoring must have been there as it made a rather nice aultumn fruit room-note.

I let my disappointment show to my pipe smoking friends one of whom told me that If left it to dry our for a few weeks with the lid party off then the rich flavour would develop. I was dubious to say the least as in my experience the vast majority of light casings evaporate or diminish as the tobacco dries.

I took his advice nonetheless. The result after 3 weeks is an improvement but not a startling one. There is now a faint brandy/greengage taste now but its not rich as it should be. The tobacco is now a bit brittle and dry and smokes a bit too fast though the dottle is less. Perhaps the flavour will develop more with time, if it does I fear it will be further to the detriment of the smoking qualities of the tobacco. This tobacco is not bad it just does not live up to its rather overhyped billing. I would buy it again if no other flake was about but it would not be my first choice. A good option perhaps for ‘everyday' sweet medium robust flake at best.

gtclark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gtclark (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Ohh this is some tasty stuff! A wonderful VaBur flake with a very pleasant berry-plum topping artfully applied. The topping is just strong enough to come through the background without masking the quality leaf. Smoke this slowly as it can get warm, but with good technique, you'll be rewarded with a very pleasant smoke. In addition, this flake packs a very satisfying amount of vitamin N, but not so much that novice smokers and lightweights should avoid the blend.

Similar Blends: Erinmore Flake.

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (19)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I've been without this tobacco for quite a while, due to a shortage of all Peterson products in South Africa. I picked up a tin resently and this morning filled a smallish Old England with quite a long stem. Sipping it very gently, I experienced a delightful NEW tobacco! First half of the bowl, the sweetness of the virginias and casing were up front. Very enjoyable. The second half of the bowl brought forth the taste of the burley, nutty and almost like newly baked bread. In the past, I liked this tobacco, now I fell in love with it and will go back to our B&M for another couple of tins. If you want to smoke a burley but, like me, can't smoke it neat, get yourself a tin of UF. I promise, no one will ever regret it!

Pipe Used: Old England

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Curiosity Hut

dryseason91 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dryseason91 (6)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

A fairly burley-centric Vabur with just enough berry topping to lift the underlying Virginias and keep the burleys from growing monotonous. Impressively, the topping manages to be both crucial to the blend's character, yet subtle and unobtrusive - the overwhelming impression is of those earthy burleys set in relief by the tart Va sweetness. The older tin description lists Kentucky in the ingredients, and although it's no longer specified there's probably a touch of woody dark-fired in here. Definite nicotine kick. Inclined to be a bit rough around the edges, but good, flavorsome stuff nonetheless. For me, it's the superior of Peterson's two flakes.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

dano58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dano58 (5)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a great smoke. Probably my favorite blend so far, next to Solani aged burley flake. Though there is a slight plum flavoring, I wouldn't regard this as an aromatic (and I do like the flavoring, as subtle as it is). Just a very good straight forward tobacco flavor - the burley and virginia are perfectly blended. The flakes are a little on the moist side but not to much. I rub out a flake, let it sit out for an hour or two and smoke a bowl in my big Savinelli Morino billiard -lasting almost an hour. No bite whatsoever -smooth as can be. A little into the bowl and I'm already relaxed and focused. Just a really good tobacco.. (wish I could give it more than 4 stars).

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very enjoyable smoke, thick white smoke throughout the bowl, with a wonderful flavor that reminds me of warm bread. The Burley and the Virginias work well together and give a most satisfying bowlful.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great VaBur flake with a mild fruit topping. The description says plum, and I will not argue with that, but it presents as "fruit" to me. This is a smooth and nicely balanced fairly "full" VaBur. The Virginias are slightly sweet and very smooth with some nutty burley to give it some depth. I don't get any Virginia citrus, but that may contribute to the plum flavor.

I did not get much complexity, but it is a solid smoke, and one I could smoke a lot of were it not for the price. At $8 for 50 g, this is about $72 a pound.

This is easy to recommend. If the description sounds appealing, you probably owe it to yourself to try a tin.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (64)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I don't understand the active hate this blend gets.

Its a little disappointing. I thought this was going to be Irish Flake with some aro-elements added. It kind of it, but the plum casing just doesn't fit as well as it could.

Sinclair's Highland Slices is so much better at doing what this is trying to do, I think they need to reformulate the plum.

Even with that said, its a very nice and rich smoke. All of the Irish Flake components are there and are well shown, and the plum is not unpleasant, just not what it could have been.

ing.poparadu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ing.poparadu (5)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Speaking as a newcomer in the pipe smoking business, this is the best tobacco I have had so far.

One flake per day is a reasonable amount for an enthusiastic beginner in search for the perfect blend.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Danske Club 84

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin, 2 hour dried

Purchased From: JPB tobacco

Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoke (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I read on Peterson's website University Flake has Mahogany, brown, orange Virginia and sun cured leaf from India. I'm guessing the Burley may be the sun cured leaf ? No mention of casings. Smoking aroma and taste is like cooking Brown Sugar rather than plums (imo) I folded two flakes of this in my large billiard ,cools down well and keeps sweet. And if you want a nic. kick from this just use a bigger pipe . Fold and stuff worked great minus twisting so the bottom stayed loose and burned great, 15 min dry time for me.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nicely prepared flakes ~1 3/4"x 3"x1/16" that are a bit moist to my preference from the tin. I used the fold and pack technique and easy lights resulted in a cool, slow burning smoke without any bite. Although a sweet smoke, I really didn't feel the advertised plum flavoring was overpowering and thought that the VAs were in just the right balance.

Strong Mild Full Pleasant

This weed is harsh, and hits you like a ton of bricks from the very first light. The flake is hard to break up and unfortunately for me, it took forever to finish a small bowl of the stuff.

If you want a pleasant, refined smoke,I urge you to look elsewhere. And please, do not under any circumstances give this blend to a new pipe smoker. He'll leave our ranks in a big hurry if you do!

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (34)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I can't believe that I haven't tried this one sooner. I love Irish Flake, but sometimes I'm in the mood for something a little "softer" in flavor. I picked up a tin of this, and I'm sure glad that I did. Upon opening the tin, I got an immediate sweet aroma (unlike an aromatic aroma, however). It was sweet with a hint of berry to it. I broke the flake up and let it dry for about an hour before packing it into my Peterson 999, which I have dedicated to nothing but VA flake tobaccos. It packed well, and it only took one match to light. The initial light produced a slightly acrid berry flavor, but that quickly dissipated after the 3rd or 4th puff. It smoked slow and cool all the way down to the bottom of the bowl.

The nicotine content was less than its dark-fired cousin, Irish Flake, but still very present. It isn't a complex tobacco, and it wasn't designed to be one. The burley adds a slight nuttiness to the otherwise sweet VA's, and the topping/casing is not overpowering. If anything, the casing makes this blend from being boring and sets it apart from other VaBur flakes. I won't smoke it everyday, but it's a great change of pace.

I might add

Pipe Used: Peterson 999

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin air-dried 1 hour

Purchased From: JR Cigars, Statesville, NC

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (21)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

University flake is a high quality tobacco without the kick of Irish Flake. The flakes are presented very nicely in the tin and can simply be folded and stuffed or rubbed out. I really like this tobacco and as with all the other Peterson offerings it does not disappoint. Peterson has made tobacco an art form and the more variations I try, the more I want to try. I have not had a bad tobacco from Peterson.

Pipe Used: briar

Age When Smoked: right out of the mailbox

Purchased From: smoking pipes

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (46)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I enjoy this so much more than a regular Virginia flake such as OGS or PS luxury Navy. It has a better smell and a slight sweet topping that makes it a more enjoyable smoke The nic hit could be a little stronger which is why I prefer Irish flake to this.

Alessandro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alessandro (6)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Simply could not enjoy this tobacco. Tried several times and the last time could not, would not finish the bowl. Too peppery for me, and just didn't like the way it made me feel. Nicotine hit is strong, feel it in your throat. Smells of plum from the tin but taste more like an old heavy burning book.

I will certainly keep this tin as it deserves the respect to be tried again in the future, maybe I'll grow up to it. Till then... Happy Smoking.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

It took me 4 tries to enjoy University Flake. I really wanted to like it as I'm a considerable fan of Irish Flake, but the stars and moon have to be aligned just right for me to get into a bowl of this.

Prep - broke the flake into matchsticks and loaded vertically into the pipe, leftovers rubbed out into dust. Match, tamp, match.

I believe this tobacco needs serious drying out of the tin before it's really enjoyable. I also found the burn characteristics were much better in a meerschaum than in briar or cob, which were my previous 3 attempts with this particular tobacco.

Tin note is good, although slightly cloying. Heavy on the plum, and other dried fruit notes most likely from the Virginia (apricot?).

Char is very "burned fruit" forward. Sourness comes next, it's got a lot of sweetness upfront and a sourness that is very aggressive. There are times where I do get a really decent draw and a great, warm rich tobacco flavor (almost a mild cigar leaf) takes hold and that really makes me look forward to the next draw.

This tobacco seems quite temperamental to burn rates and tongue bite. Considering that it's also a beast to keep lit even when dried for an hour or more, that makes it a touch difficult to smoke.

I've agreed to cellar my remainder in a jar to see if it improves over time. As it stands I'm not particularly a fan - which is slightly disappointing as I love Irish Flake. The jury is still out on how much I'll like this tobacco in the future.

Pipe Used: MM Twain, Savinelli Natural, Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Erinmore Flake.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A good starting point for those considering a flake for the first time. Mildly sweet dried fruit tin note. Reasonable moisture level. Gravity feed, char, tamp and light .....smooth mellow smoke. I am predominantly a flake lover and this one fills the bill when I'm wanting a change from Perique or Latakia or a strong flue type. The sweetness is there albeit slightly. It's casing doesn't leave a chemical "yuck" on the tongue. I do believe that 6 months in a mason jar helped with the flavour though. It's a nicer smoker now than it was out of the tin.

Pipe Used: Several Peterson's

Age When Smoked: 2 years sealed 6 months jarred

Purchased From: Jades Smokers Corner

HPFlashman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HPFlashman (9)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Just opened a tin of this tobacco and had the first bowl. The smell in the tin is grass and fruit in tiny nuances of fragrance, after several tins of aromatics, such as MB Navy flake, Ashton Rainy Day and WØ Larsen Old Fashioned.

I rolled and teared a flake in half and dropped it into my Cellini Freehand, with just the tiniest amounts of packing it in, as it filled the rather deep and conical chamber rather well.

The pipe and the tobacco was not a very good mix, but the Cellini is also somewhat new to me and I had not tried it with flake tobaccos earlier and will more than likely not try it again if I do not rub the flake first.

The Peterson flake filled the bowl to the rim in a good way, but I had not forseen the troubles I had with it getting the draft hole jammed solid, even with rummaging through the smoke channel with a pipecleaner would not keep it unclogged. Entirely a user fault but somewhat annoying anyhow.

When it burned, it burned quite cool and nice and gave some hints of the interesting fragrances and tastes I think the University Flake hides. The grassy Virginia was clearly present as was the fruitiness, which I gather is plummish and ripe in character. I think there may be greatness hidden in there, but due to my not too educated choice of pipe, further bowls in different pipes must be undertaken for scientific purposes.

I write this a bit for myself, after one bowl for reference purposes.

I have had further bowls of this in regular billiard pipes, messing around with packing and drying and it is a real good and slow burning tobacco with a quite unexpected nicotine hit. I have just finished a bowl with a flake that I left in the sun for an hour and have a rather dizzy head and an urge to make a visit to the oval office even though I was there just before lighting up. :-O I have amended the rating to highly reccomended and the strength to medium to strong. Of the five tobaccos I have around for now, this mellow little thing is surely the heftiest one....

Pipe Used: Cellini Freehand

Age When Smoked: Fresh from shop

Purchased From: http://solcigar.mamutweb.com/Shop/List/Peterson/197/1

John Frum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
John Frum (15)

For me this flake is simply OK. I had no trouble finishing the tin and there were some "in the Zone" smokes, but am not sure if it is a keeper. Perhaps it's the way it seems to sit on the fence bordering aros and strong flakes? Otherwise I found it pretty well-behaved. Somewhat recommended.

storopoli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
storopoli (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It is my first Burley/VA flake. It is somewhat mild and burns quite cool and slow. I think I preffer something a little more strong in strength and maybe with more sweetness, in other words, with more sweetie VA.

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first got this tobacco I liked it but did not "love" it. But after smoking this once daily for about a week I found myself craving it more and more. For me it has the perfect amount of vitamin N for the last smoke before bed. Leaving me feeling satisfied without knocking me on my ass. After about a 30 minute dry time the flake rubbed out easily, burned cool and stayed pretty well lit with a very pleasant sweetish burley flavor.

I will be purchasing more and can't wait to try some of the other Peterson blends.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

As others have noted, a lightly-cased, somewhat strong dark flake. Not the easiest flakes to get lit, but I did not find them excessively difficult to deal with. On the whole, I found this 'serviceable' rather than 'memorable' in any positive or negative way.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (88)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It occurred to me that I had yet to review this blend, though I referenced it in a review of Erinmore Flake.

Inevitably the two will be compared, so I would describe this as very similar to EF, with a less pronounced flavoring; more straightforward, pure plum vs Erinmore's "juicy fruit" melange of flavors; and a bit stronger tobacco flavor - not anything like Irish Flake but bolder than EF. Slightly less heavily cased than EF, which may appeal to those who prefer less aggressive toppings.

The flakes come a bit damp and will benefit from being set aside to dry. I rub most of my flakes out, which limits drying time on this one to 15-20 minutes or so.

Nearly everything else has been said in previous reviews. I find University Flake a very pleasant tobacco with solid backbone for such a sweetly flavored smoke. No bite, much smoother than Irish Flake, and - while indeed similar - distinct enough from Erinmore Flake to make for endless comparison and debate - my suggestion is to try both and and make up your own mind. While I have a preference, I continue to enjoy both.

I also recommend this blend to aromatic smokers looking to "cross over" into more flavorful tobaccos.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Simply put, a smashing VA/BU Flake with a nice plum topping. PUF is always a pleasure to smoke and its room note is non smoker friendly.

I have 2 pipes dedicated to this marvelous toby.

chestateegold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chestateegold (2)

A good tobacco. A bit moist straight out of the tin, but smokes very well after being rubbed out and set to dry for a few minutes. You can taste a little of something fruity, not sure exactly what it tastes like but it tastes good. I really enjoyed the after taste that this tobacco left as well. This tobacco has a little more nicotine than I like, however it didn't detract from the smoke too much.

Tudorcfr90 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tudorcfr90 (4)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This was an important blend for me for two reasons. The first is that this was the first flake that I tried. Secondly, it was my first tackle with a natural tobacco after two years of smoking only aromatics. When I first smoked it I broke the flake because I was afraid of failing with the folding method. After the lighting I was struck with the powerful and amazing tobacco taste. At first I was a little dizzy because of the strong nicotine kick but it passed away quickly The aroma is very light, reminds me a little of forest fruits. It doesn't heat up, doesn't bite and burns very well. It took me some two or three bowls to fully understand it but now I know that I will gladly return to this one.

Meeee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meeee (1)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good, very reliable blend. Usual VA notes blue a touch of blueberry (?). High quality flake tobacco, well presented in the tin. Consistent from tin to tin. Great indoors or outdoors, nice room-note. One of the best UK Va blends available, waaaay better than American fair these days.

ctyankeepiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ctyankeepiper (13)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Opened my 1st tin last night. In typical flake manor, it was a bit too moist right out of the tin so I let it dry out for a 1/2 hour. As I lit it, I enjoyed the flavor and the room note. But 1/2 a bowl later the nicotine punch hit he hard and I had to stop smoking it. I'm not giving up on this blend, it was just too good to. Maybe some time in my cellar will help mellow it.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This flake is not nearly as strong as its brother, Irish Flake. The casing definitely mellows out the smoke, but it still has a strong nicotine punch. I found that removing it from the tin and letting it sit in a jar for a few days improved the smoke, as well as vigorously rubbing out the flakes. If you don't, you'll spend a lot of time relighting and not enjoy all the delicious flavor of this excellent tobacco.

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Indeed worth a go. Very nice balance and topping is applied perfect. Tin presentation is laid out very nice and flakes are perfect and easy to work with. Will revisit this baccy down the road.

arclight Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arclight (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

An excellent flake. The flakes were very wet. I rubbed one flake out and let it sit for an hour to dry a little. After drying it was easy to pack and light. This flake almost tastes like a cigarette, and gives a nice nicotine hit. This is a very cool smoke. If you want to have a long and quiet smoke, use the fold and stuff method, I got 2 hours out a flake this way.

Pipe Puffington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Puffington (17)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

The plum flavoring was too much for me. Finished the tin and I'll move on.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

To each their own for this one. The smell out of the tin is quite nice. The Flake itself was easy to work with and rubbed out easily. I was not that big a fan of the smoke itself, I'm not going to be giving it away just yet though. No real discernable flavours that I could tell when smoked. I'll give it a whirl again sometime, but not rushing to do so.

AgentSmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AgentSmith (9)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A little high in vitamin N for me, but smooth steady smoke that goes on and and on. Beautiful Flakes and a great change of pace. The "plum" dressing is very mild and merges very well with the underlying tobaccos.

After careful reflection, this one deserves star number 4.

Papa Koala Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papa Koala (8)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Puffing my way through a bowl of this as I type. Tin note of very pleasant tobacco with a hint of fruit cake and upon lighting a sweet taste before the tobacco comes through. The flakes are a good size and one perfectly packs my Peterson 999 bowl. It burns slowly and cool and makes for a pleasant slow 'ponder'. I like this a lot and recommend it without hesitation.

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

At first, I did not detect any plum flavour whatsoever. After smoking several more flakes, I do pick up on a powdered grape drink crystal note. I don't really care for it. However, it is mild enough that it's not a bother.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (139)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I didn't care much for this flake. It is too strong for everyday use and the casing didn't agree with my taste buds. The nicotene is over the top to my liking and I had trouble keeping it lit. That said, I can understand the praise that most reviewers have for UF. It's just not my kind of aromatic.

Update: I'm changing my tune regarding this blend. After rubbing out a couple of flakes and letting it sit for a few days, this blend really shines.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is certainly a love/hate tobacco, just like Erinmore mixture.

I personnally enjoy it very much. The flakes are easy to break, it smokes slowly and brings satisfaction.

snuffysmiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
snuffysmiff (7)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I don't get so many chances now to smoke, what with work,having to smoke outside, etc. I've tried a fair few flakes, though, and this tin I finished off faster than any other. It reminds me of Golden Sliced, but with a stronger flavour. I love it. If I had to pick just one flavoured flake to smoke for ever, this would be it.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a No-nonsense Flake;for U Serious Virginia-Lovers..Smoooth+Satisfying! I went Thru a 50g Tin in less than 2days

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (30)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Sorry folks, this blend tastes no better than cheap cigarettes. How can something this bland get such great reviews? If a good flake is what you're looking for, I would recommend you try Orlik Golden Sliced. It's in the same genre (Virginia/Burley) but unlike University Flake, Orlik is bursting with extraordinary flavor.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Good burley, well balanced and easy to smoke. I prefer it over Irish Flake and even Peterson 3P. It says it's good for smoking outside, I have to disagree with that as it is PERFECT for smoking outside. (a true Fisherman's Friend :) )

SakamotoFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SakamotoFan (12)

University Flake is a decent tobacco. However, the smoke was a bit boring and the taste very mild.

Logwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Logwood (9)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It leaves a berry like taste in the mouth, which mirrors the scent from the tin, not overpowering like an aromatic but it does become annoying after a while. There is no doubt this is a fine tobacco, as long as you are not expecting a Virginia dominated Flake.

n9inchnails Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
n9inchnails (10)

This is one of my staple smokes and it is the most readily availabe Peterson tobac in my area. It has a burley dominated flavor and can be harsh at light up but other wise a very satisfying smoke. It does have a slight berry topping, although I don't taste it in the smoke it is very evident in the room note and i don't get nearly as much complaints from my non smoking friends as I do most other blends.

shihan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shihan (22)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice, uniform flakes. The moisture level is good right out of the tin. I folded one into the bowl and lit up. The casing stayed in the background and added a hint of sweetness to the robust flake. It burned down to a fine ash. Not as strong as Irish Flake but still satisfying.

Outstanding "regular" tobacco, quality Burley with lemmon Virginias that provide the mixture depth and a touch of sweetness. Excellent all-day smoke with no tongue bite. The only one in the genre that pleases me more is McBaren Navy Flake, but they are both top notch.

deckoat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
deckoat (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Poison this stuff is absolute poison,I like strong tobacco,condor ready rub,irish flake, The spit you get back out of the pipe would sicken a dog, If you want to lose weight fast and clense the gut all you need is a half pipefull of this poison, University flake indeed!

flagg1122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flagg1122 (15)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is one of my Peterson favorites. The berry, nutty taste is really a nice morning smoke. It will really get you going with a nice cup of tea. Nicotine level is a bit high, so take it slow. Also needs to be dried out a bit. Good stuff!

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I would prefer a tobacco with much more refined smoke. This is too harsh for me. It is hard to be rubbed and packed. Hard to keep lit. Not for the beginners. Instead of this, at almost the same price, there are many other pleasent virginia mixtures to enjoy.

agentlemanfromindiana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
agentlemanfromindiana (18)

This truly is a great tobacco. Lots of reviews on here claim that there is no flavor in this tobacco, however I detect a whole lot of flavor, very natural and straw like and it is quite delicious!

Caripu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Caripu (11)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A good tobacco for all day use, but the older blended by Murray's was much better.

Slow Draw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Draw (26)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The flakes are beautifully dark and perfectly sliced. The slight berry aroma is just enough to make you wonder what it is...? But not so much that I would ever class this tobacco as an aromatic. The flake burns slow and sweet - with a gentle puff rate. And, this tobacco promises a lingering rendezvous with lady nicotine. A very popular tobacco for good reasons.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

I've always enjoyed this flake, from the top of the topping to the bottom of the bowl.

With most flakes...in fact with just about any tobacco...I tend to fill a few pipes and smoke them the next day, giving the tobacco plenty of time to dry sufficiently. This seems to give me pretty well trouble-free puffing and University Flake rewards such preparation with a meaty, fruity at first then full bodied smoke.

Seems appropriate too tonight, as my daughter has just got a 1st in English from the University of Leicester:-)

I am a happy dad.

This review is from a non-aged tin. I plan to buy more and age it.

University Flake was, for me, a study in "halves". The first half of each bowl showed off the berry topping. Half of the time I moderately enjoyed this flavor and half the time it was annoying. I could easily do without it.

The second half of each bowl burned away the topping and the smoke was better off for it. The burley nuttiness and the light VA sweetness took over - or maybe the sweetness was the last remnants of the flavoring. Either way, the tobacco was tasty, full-bodied and satisfying once I got past the first half of the bowl. The tobaccos used were of obviously high quality and I'm not sure why they added the berry flavoring. I'd like to try it uncased. Perhaps some aging will settle it down. Still, this is recommended.

frankluke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
frankluke (17)
Strong Medium Medium Very Strong

i don't like my pipe tobacco to have a berry taste, i also don't like having to put the pipe down due to the strength of this blend (sneaks up on you). i've yet to try a decent peterson blend.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A little too harsh, although not that strong in nicotine. I prefer to roll it into a ball, and it normally only requires a few relights. The blueberrish flavour is not my cup of tea-

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

one of my best flakes for now,,well burned and the best V/B marriage from petersons long lasting with natural sweetness truly gud tobacco tht i would recommend for those whom want to enjoy complicated moving tobacco but cear to the buds,,craving for more

QuietMoments Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
QuietMoments (7)
Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I usually smoke aromatics, and found this one too strong. It was not overwhelming, but after a while blew my head (and my tummy - bluurghh). The flavour was pleasant, but I won't be going there again.

DRijkers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DRijkers (14)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

Nope, nope, nope. I didn't care for this one at all. Couldn't finish the tin.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I love how divisive this blend has been for the reviewers here. It sort of reminds me of a T.S. Eliot poem I studied in a smokeless room at University... Ah, never mind.

Taken at face value, this is a lightly cased blend of various Virginias with a little bit of Burley squeezed in to take away the sheen of gentility. The forest berry topping is mild in the tin. Though I'm not a committed smoker of aromatics, I certainly do enjoy that class of tobaccos on occasion. The thing that is most appealing about UF is that the berries are plenty subtle enough to miss at various times during a bowl. I have the luxury of smoking while working at my desk and when I'm focused on my work, I feel like I'm smoking a straight Virginia. When I kick back and ponder and wander, those little wild berries pop up and smile. When I'm tired, the Burley bats the beast off my back.

I think this could have been called Chameleon Flake.

Not that it matters, of course. This is high quality tobacco blended by someone with a deft and light touch. If I had to choose just one baccy for all time, this subtle number would definitely make the short list.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I like this tobacco fine. Its one of two or three aro's I can smoke. The others being 1792, and coconut twist. I dont find it a nicotine bomb, certainly not like its brother Irish Flake. Which I like even more. 3 stars for this light aro without cheap cavendish added. Ill buy it again.

jeffo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jeffo (17)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If u like fruit and liquice you will love this i am going through petersons tobaccos and just love this and irish flake. Please give it a try and if u dont like it u can swear at me.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I like Kentucky so I like this one! The name is more appealing than the real experience though.. Anyway, not as great as Irish Whiskey and ORLIC DARK KENTUCKY but it has its character!

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I delayed reviewing this one. It is in fact a good tobacco, but something in the topping upsets my stomach. I could not identify it (the cause that is). It has a blueberry topping, a fairly stout taste and I do recommend it, but I cannot smoke it!!

Newsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newsman (9)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

If you like MacBarens Navy flake, you know what to expect. After you dry tobacco, you will get full taste of Burley, with nice aroma of Virginia.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I want to smoke this. It has a certain alluring quality, but the nicotine kick is just not something I like. The casing of this tobacco has always evoked discussion. Whatever it's essence is or is not, one thing is clear, you should approach this tobacco with caution.

jackal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackal (11)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I have tried this every way I can think of and still can not find anything to get excited about. I found it best ( but still not good) unrubbed and in a very small pipe.

jimh76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jimh76 (3)

A lovely tobacco - and the first of which I can say I would make my all-day smoke. I lightly rubbed a little out and it lasted through two Sherlock Holmes adventures - Smells like pipe smoke "should" smell and not too big a Nicotine hit. Certainly a "thinking man's smoke" - no doubt where the "University" bit comes from! - Well recommended

Nke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nke (6)

A simple, straight-forward smoke. Not much to add to that. Some days it might almost make three stars, but usually I want more adventurous flavours from my smokes.

Semois Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Semois (18)
Strong Very Strong Very Full Strong

Sorry to begin with a negative sound. I prefer true tobacco-taste above all. So, I don't like aromatics. Sometimes I smoke something with Latakia or Perique... But things like University Flake give me a feeling of nausea. So, no UF for me anymore.

Dutch pipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dutch pipesmoker (2)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

The nice dark flakes, the taste and the easy burn make this one a favorite for me. Most of the time I smoke this in a medium sized pipe. In a bigger pipe I find it overpowering. Sometimes I mix it 50/50 with MacBaren's Burley London Blend wich gives me a wonderfull smoke. There's always a opened tin around.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm with Stan and Doc on this blend. It's good stuff. In body and nicotine (though not flavor), this is on par with Haddo's, Elizabethan and Stonehaven. The tobacco flavors and the room note are unique, probably because Kentucky and Mahogany are not especially common. The closest I can get to a comparison is MacBaren Navy Flake, but with a significant boost of flavor and strength. The top note flavors in UF are more savory, though.

I'm not a smoker who demands lots of nicotine. In fact, I usually smoke big-nico blends sparingly. But while UF won't become an everyday smoke for me, it is something I will keep handy. I just bought three tins, and anticipate that aging will do nice things for this blend.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Medium to Strong Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

There's plenty of reviews on this tobacco already so here are three words to describe it for me:Boring, Bland and Harsh =Steer way Clear from here= Prep. (One pro here,You might wish to purchase this blend on the merits of the attractive tin in which it's packaged)

Bicilotti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bicilotti (4)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

There are already many interesting reviews on this tobacco, so I will spend just few words. It smells really 'artificial' compared to a good Virginia flake, it is quite difficult to smoke (expecially outside) and reminds me the awful taste of a cigarette. What else? Ah, yes, something like 10? for a 50g tin. I'm really disappointed!

Carlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlos (18)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

If you haven't smoked strong tobaccos before - be careful! There are of course stronger tobaccos than Peterson University Flake, but this one is strong too! Taste? Very nice, but IMO Irish Oak is better.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Honestly, I did not like this tobacco. Though it is visually very attractive, it does not smell or taste of Virginia. Then again, it does not smell or taste of Burley either. It is a strange combination of Virginia, Burley and, apparently, some Mahogany (i.e, an old belt dark Virginia which I have tried in other blends, and like very much for its toasty and slightly bitter taste), but the final result is not that successful. Something went wrong in the process: perhaps the tobaccos are not properly matured or pressed, perhaps that mysterious casing or topping (which other reviewers refer to but no one seems to be able to pin point) annuls the natural tobacco oils? The point is that, IMO, University Flake smokes dry, leaving a rather stale aftertaste, and the odd feeling that the tobaccos that went into its making evaporated somewhere along the packing-smoking procedures, eschewing the particular flavours of its three main components. The flake is difficult to rub out, difficult to pack, and difficult to keep lit?It does, however, get you thinking?.What exactly am I smoking?

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I love Irish pipes, and very much like Peterson's Sherlock Holmes mixture, so I thought I was in for a treat. I was disappointed.

The appearance of these somewhat rough-cut slices is identical with Dunhill's Light Flake (both are, of course, elaborated by Murray Sons & Co. in Belfast), but the flavour is nothing like it. There is a light topping (cherry?) that one does not taste in the actual smoke.

Have you ever had one of those English tea biscuits that are so semi-sweet that they are, in fact, not sweet at all? That is what the dark-red virginia tastes like here. Like a Bath Oliver bikkey. That would be very nice, if Mssrs Murray had not chosen to shovel in the burley to preserve your and my tongues! This is not a Virginia flake, this is a burley mix!

Thinking to avoid the opprobrium of actually having come up with a Mac Baren style creation, they then put in some Kentucky, [i.e.: dark-cured...BURLEY!] leaf for body. The grey, dusty blandness of burley dominates this blend. No finish, no depth, just...burley.

A quality product for all that, recommended to all burley lovers, of whose number I am not.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Something of an oddball flake , in that its not really an aromatic , though has some sort of flavoring some sort of fruit licqurice would best describe it . Has someting of a lightness to it and cant really hit the high notes in the taste range. Edgworth slices is much better.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (29)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I got into this one during my flake period. I thought it would be a good a blend to try, as I had gotten my bell rung thoroughly by S.G navy. I used an older Grabow I had with a group one bowl on it. Also a cob I bought at the the time for trying this new flake.

It comes stacked up in the tin. Pretty neat little flakes of a mostly brown color with little gold streaks in it. Tin note was pretty earthy, nutty and had light fruity note to it. I was trying to learn folding technique at the time and did that with it mostly. I rub out flakes these days. The char took a little work, but got going well enough eventually. The plum(?) flavoring came through noticeably at that point, but didn't last as such for long.

It burns as well as a flake can, depending on your prep work. It has a nice light va taste to it, and a pretty strong nic hit. I would recommend this as a pretty good flake for most smokers. In spite of its generally mild flavor, it's not for beginners unless they have a good nicotine tolerance. It could make some turn a bit green if they're not used to stronger blends. Well done flake from peterson.

Pipe Used: Various Grabow pipes, MM cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Purchased From: Wallingford tobacco, Wallingford ct

ilDominante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ilDominante (11)
Very Strong Very Mild Mild Strong

This has got to be one of the worst tobaccos I've ever tried. Absolutely unsmokable. The flakes break up in 1/4 inch chunks, mostly very dark, dry and not easily packable. It lights up easily and stays lit. The aroma, as such, has notes of cherry, as in the distilled artificial flavoring one finds in cheap juice, which is not pleasant, at all. Once lit, it smells like a cheap cigarette, except if you try to inhale it, it feels like inhaling burnt plastic. Pretty much all peterson and other pipe brand tobaccos seem to be much lower quality than even the worst bulk tobacco, IMHO. Definitely not recommend buying this tin.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Holmes Watson

Age When Smoked: Allegedly fresh but doesnt seem like it

Purchased From: online

Similar Blends: Cheap cigarette tobacco..

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A nice VaBur with a light berry (more like berry than plum) topping. The Virginias are sweet and add very little else to the mix. The Burley has a strong presence and is nutty and earthy. Obviously good quality Burley. The topping tends to fade as you get deeper into the bowl. A very pleasing smoke.

Body is mild to medium. I suspect those that are rating this as strong are referring to nicotine content. Flavor is medium. I prefer this well dried. Comes slightly moist. Burns very well when dried. Enjoyed this and will buy again.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Medium Mild Full Very Pleasant

I found this delightful ! Having heard a lot of good things about it I wondered if it would meet my expectations and it did . The flakes are of perfect thickness and moisture to rub and fill with . It gives a great unlit aroma . Very easy to light and a real even burn . The smoke is brilliantly thick with a full taste and subtle plum flavor . It does not bite nor does it burn too quick . As this was a sample I will be sure to buy a full tin !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (127)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Virginias take center stage in the first third. Strength ramps up as you smoke on. Burleys come out in second third to complement the Virginias. No flavoring detected, even when sipped. Easily maintained, burns clean. A pleasant 3 star blend, with high quality tobacco.

Pipe Used: Neerup Stove Pipe, MM

Age When Smoked: B&M shelf placement date of JUL 2013 noted on tin

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (139)

It amazes me at how Peterson can put out such high quality flakes and yet fail so miserably at aromatics. UF is Irish Flake's little brother. A very fine blend but without the Nicotine hit being so heavy. I could smoke this all day and be very content. Highly Recommended.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Having sensed my ennui for Royal Yacht, my daily blend, I charged to a newer B&M and found some University Flake. It was just what I needed. Different enough from my beloved RY, the Burley offers a full flavor with moderate nicotine. Here's the first tobacco that I could call aromatic yet delivered full tobacco flavor. Once I returned to the car that smelled of tobacco but had this plum perfume infused into the smoke! I think I really caught the aromatic quality of UF- and it was quite pleasant. This isn't some overly infused black Cavendish suffering from a lack of nicotine backbone. It taste fruity but not sweet, similar to an eau de vie like Framboise- very dry. Maybe it's presently a novelty for me, but the tobacco flavor is front and center. If you're overly sensitive to nicotine this isn't the genteel aromatic you may be used to. This could be a holiday crowd-friendly tobacco, where Night Cap may offend. I'm most impressed.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (36)

So many things to say about this blend! First of all, it is my first Peterson blend. Second, its also my first flake, and for my first Peterson experience, I'm impressed. I'm a Burly fan, even more of a Virginia fan. So it was inevitable that I would smoke this blend at some point. My standard is Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, It's my go to baccy, so to find a blend with strong Virginia notes similar to EMP I get all giddy. First thing to mention is the tin. It's so cool, classic and elegant, I attend a major university, so it's fitting. Second is the aroma of the tobacco in the tin. Those sweet and tangy Virginias just stand out. It was a little moist, so I dried it out a bit. I tried a multitude of ways to pack my pipe, the "standard" rub out, roll, square...Personally I found the best was rolling it up, the flavor was much more pronounced as opposed to the other methods. The smoke was milder than I was expecting, very smooth and sweet. The Alkalinity of the Virginias came through more than I had hoped, but the nuttiness of the Burly left a creamy aftertaste. I tasted the plum flavor mid bowl, it was subtle and mild but a rather pleasant taste. After a while that sexy little nicotine head rush snuck up on me and I just started loving the baccy. Even though I rolled it into the bowl, I had no problems with relighting. So all in all I think this is a well balanced blend. It balances the characteristics of the tobacco very well and really brings out the complexities of each. Furthermore, being a flake, the smoker can really connect with the tobacco. Preparation takes more time, so I think one should slow down and really appreciate the tobacco in their hands. After all that's what it's all about. In sum-near perfection

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

Just cracked my first tin love this stuff going to have to buy another pipe and dedicate it

Youngster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Youngster (1)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Although I mY be a new pipe smoker, I know what I like. Aromatics aren't usually my thing, but I picked up this tin on a recommendation anyway. I was pleasantly surprised! The plum/berry flavor is there, but not overwhelming, just enough to sweeten it a up a bit. The sweetness sticks around all the to the end, accompanied by that nic hit we've all come to expect from burleys. All in all, it burns well and not overly hot (although I must admit I tend to work up the heat quite a bit when I'm having a conversation). I would highly recommend this to anyone who would like to start moving from aromatics over to the English side of things. I'll definitely keep this one around.

Elm0 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elm0 (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

As said Irish Flake's little brother i smoke both daily while IF has that strong taste that lets you know its got a good nic hit UF has a very pleasing almost aromatic taste, if i was to say you find yourself chewing on the smoke I'm sure you would get my drift

Very hard to put the pipe down once lit ,it burns nice & slow can bite a little if smoked too quick but if you are doing that you are not getting the best out of it ,slow small lingering draws almost let the pipe idle between your lips seems to be the sweet spot for this one

Got to admit when i first tried UF i wasn't that fussed but learning to appreciate it a bit more & as said rolling up the flake's rather than rubbing them out to pack bowl turned this into a firm favorite of mine

Peterson tobacco's have become the bulk of my rotation's lately due to quality, great packaging & price. UF is well presented in a small square tin needs very little if no airing time & has always been consistant ,100+ tins

Chmalu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chmalu (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

My favourite one. I love that kind of 'plum shot' :)

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a well presented VA/Burley flake that comes neatly packed in a convenient square tin. In some respects it reminds me of Erinmore Flake, though the casing is not so pronounced. It's a cool, long, “winter” smoke with a pleasant fruity/woody flavour that does not detract from the natural taste of the tobacco: round, soft, full-bodied without being in the least bit harsh. It's strong without being overwhelmingly so, and well behaved all the way down the bowl: it keeps its flavour to the end, smokes dry and seems to leave no dottle at all. The room note is acceptable to SWMBO & Co. also. An earlier reviewer has called it Irish Flake's “little brother,” and I wouldn't disagree with that. Fold-and-stuff is the best way to smoke it, I think; for a dark and rather moist flake, it needs remarkably few re-lights, though it's a good idea to let it dry out a little before ignition. My first tin was a gift from a friend, but I intend to buy more of it and make it one of my regulars. I'm not sure that I would want to smoke it every day, because the plummy topping can cloy a bit if you have too much of it; but it's very pleasant in moderate doses. Perhaps it's a little strong for the beginner; highly recommended, though.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Another bomb by Peterson. Reminds me very much of Rum-Raisin-Nuts chocolate. Not much to say, it is an outdoor tobacco and it is really, really one of the stronger ones. Beautiful, thin flakes, burn excellent, smoke is quite 'pungent sweet' but not like aromatics. If you like light aros, skip this one. If you like pure English/Balkans, skip this one. If you chew a pigtail for breakfast and smoke Irish Flake or the Rope in large bowls, you will definitely enjoy this one.

donmartinthree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donmartinthree (19)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The first time I tried this must've been shortly after I'd smoked up my second tin of Irish Flake... I figured it would be worth a shot, as they were described relatively similarly. But that's beside the point, really.

I remember the first time I smoked this... it was outdoors during autumn in the woods. I know it sounds cliche, but that's the way it was. And it was really really good. It does have a nicotine punch and I can understand it being too strong for some people.

I love it. The aroma when smoked is very kentucky-ish, as far as flavors go. It's earthy, a little musty, sort of wood-like and like fall-leaves. Pretty much like IF, only with that top note of plum, which, in my opinion, brings out the tobacco flavors perfectly. It tastes best to me folded and stuffed, not rubbed out and sipped slowly. That brings out the most nuances. I don't feel this is one-dimensional at all. Sure, there's more complex tobaccos than this, but I wouldn't smoke this without paying attention to it. That would make this one boring...

For me, it's a tobacco I don't smoke very often, and when I do, it's in the colder months. And everytime I choose this tobacco, fill up my group 1 Dunhill with exactly 1 flake, I enjoy it a lot.

I'm finishing my 3rd tin now and it's always great! Recommended!

SeanPN777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeanPN777 (1)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my first tobacco review, so apologies up front :)

I smoke a lot of flake and plug tobaccos as I really enjoy the fuller flavors and nicotine. Some favorites include 3P's Plug, JackKnife Plug, Irish Flake & Escudo Navy Deluxe.

First, "smoke-ability"... I often have to relight my flake tobaccos, however, this one burns amazingly well. I usually only have one relight per bowl. I also like to puff quite a bit. This still burns cool and doesn't burn my tongue like some of my other baccy will when I start to puff too much. Overall, it smokes/burns great.

Second, flavor... It's got a light but full flavor to it I find hard to describe. There's some cream, a little "tang" and some nuttiness. This doesn't have a ton of complexity but it's not one dimensional either. I find it refreshing when I need to scale back on some of my stronger smokes. I went through a tin of Escudo Navy Deluxe in about 2 days once and paid the price. I had to "step down" for a bit and let my palette breathe. This did the trick.

Third, strength... It's not the strongest tobacco I smoke but it still has a nice dose of punch and nicotine to it. I would say this is like Irish Flake's "little brother" minus the "smokiness" you get from Irish Flake's dark fired tobacco.

Overall... I love this tobacco. I find myself coming back to it more and more and just wanting to smoke back-to-back bowls. It will allow you to do so without punishing you. Definitely a favorite.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

A delightful tobacco flake with no bad habits at all. Gorgeous soft and fruity tin note. When lit the flavor is smooth and the mouth-feel is silky. It is only slightly sweet, the fruit topping is subtle and in good proportion - detectable in the room note and pleasant in the mouth (I love the taste of plum) but not at all overdone - it still allows the high quality of the Burley and VA to shine through nicely. Nicotine is present but not huge. Gives a good, even burn without a lot of relights. My best results: gently rubbed out leaving the strands long, packed inverted, and left to rest for a while (at least a couple of hours) prior to smoking. Tamp gently. Top shelf.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (55)

Finishing up first tin, followed tin of Dunhill Flake and was much better. Tin note distinctive for virginias, good quality with.... berries of some sort. As I am on last two flakes, I better understand the topping, and can actually taste sweetness, especially when thoroughly rubbing out the flake and letting it dry for 15-30 minutes prior to smoke. Good all around smoke, even early a.m. Unsure if I'd classify this as an aromatic, will consider it for Vaper rotation. Better than Dunhill Flake for me,not displacing Golden Sliced. UPDATE: Having more experience with Va/Bur/Per in many combinations via blending on my own, I understand this to be a fantastic VaBur. I have several tins aging, and consider it as one of my top ten blends.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a plain-jane, no-nonsense, Virginia/Burley, aged, pressed, and sliced into perfect flakes. I find it to lean a little on the burely side of the scale and gives the palate a nutty finish. The aroma hints of fig. It easily smokes dry to a white ash and does not bite. The flavor is simple and consistant. The nicotine is quite strong. One flake can last over an hour. I recommend it but not for beginners.

Side note: I found Erinmore flake to be very similar to this tobacco, though I enjoyed Erinmore a bit better due to its light citris undertone.

Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I prefer Irish Flake over this its apparent sibling. I only relate them as such since they are always next to each other at any B & M at which I encounter them. I find this one a bit too light for my tastes, but YMMV and does as it seems many reviewers are spit amongst the two.

I also do not pick up on the fruity flavoring at all, but the tin I amoked had quite a bit of age on it. I am not sure how much, but trust that it sat in the humidor for quite a long time due to the slight rusting on the tin. I may try a fresher specimen at some time, but won't rush into it.

Grandad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grandad (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I really like this tobacco. I just wish they gave you more flakes to the tin. Unlike other reviews on here that say it tastes like a cigarette, I wouldn't say it did and I wouldn't say it didn't. I suppose if you were an ex-cigarette smoker, this would probably be a nice transition into pipe smoking. Then again, having smoked tailor mades and roll ups, I don't find this flake all too similar? You definately don't get the chemical taste.

I don't taste the plum but strangely enough, it tastes a little, only a little, like fig-rolls to me? But then everyones different.

Being new to flake, I looked up some reviews on the web and came across a video of a guy explaining how to pack the pipe by folding the flake and then tamping it into the bowl. Thank Jeebus I figured this looked wrong and found another where the guy folded it in half twice, placed it between his palms and rolled it into fine flake. Depending on whether you want a long smoke or a quick one depends on how fine you want to rub the tobacco.

The strength is good, the flavour is nice, the aroma is pleasant around other smokers (to non-smokers they will forever endeavour to cough and splutter when you are around them). I would recommend this as an everyday tobacco or at least include it in your cycle.

gazofcorra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gazofcorra (2)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

I am a new pipe smoker and an EX cigarette smoker and to me it was like smoking cigarettes again and that is not what i want from pipe smoking. I had no taste of plum, but there is a floral note i detected on exhaling, good nicotine levels but a bit of a boring smoke for me.

I only opened the tin today and used the fold, twist and stuff method, i will try it again in a week or so and rub it out first like some have recommended, but unless it somehow gets a lot more flavour and room appeal then i doubt this will be in my rotation.

UPDATE:04/19/12, gave it time to settle down in the tin which i opened just over a week ago, this time i rubbed the flake out and left it for 30mins to dry a little more, It is definitely better than the first time, but it is burning a little hotter than expected, nice full flavour but still reminds me of cigarettes, good nicotine hit, good for cigarette smokers trying a pipe, but i want something different (3 out of 5 stars).

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Probably my favorite tobacco. I've been smoking pipe tobacco for a little over a year now and this is one that I keep coming back to. Oh, I had smoked a pipe off and on while in college, but this was mainly restricted to Captain Black White or Borkum Riff Whiskey, which were really unsatisfying and did nothing for me. I didn't seriously pick up pipe smoking again until much later, after a friend recommended I try something other than those two and suggested some others. I remember the first time that I smoked UF (it was recommended by that same piper-pal) and I knew that it would be in the top five for me, even though I had only been smoking pipe tobacco for about two months at that point. It was strong in Vitamin N (which was relatively important as an ex-cigarette smoker)and, I'm not gonna lie, I liked the berry/plum topping. I really never thought that an aromatic (if you can classify it as that), after my experience with the Captain and BR, would be in my top five, much less my favorite. However, the little bit of sweetness that the topping adds is just enough with the strength to push this one into the top. I, of course, smoke other tobaccos, e.g. VaPers, VAs, Burleys, and Englishes, but this one always has a spot in my rotation.

Arctic Briarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arctic Briarian (6)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Usually I cannot remember the first time I opened a particular blend but my first tin of University Flake is unforgettable. There is something very appealing about those perfect little pressed slices! They emit a cool and fresh aroma as they are admired, picked up, folded, twisted and torn into desired shape and size. The same cool freshness returns after the immense force of the first few puffs and lingers around a rich, full and round flavor. This blend really holds what it promises! Also the plum note is clearly noticeable but it does not ruin the balance of flavors.

Perhaps there could be more complexity here if it was not for the sometimes overwhelming strength, which can feel dry and unpleasant somewhere near the throat. But there is no sharp harshness, no burning of the tongue. University Flake lights and burns well, and will provide a cool and dry smoke with relatively low maintenance.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Everyone should smoke at least one tin of this in their piping career. The topping is done right, an easy hand but still detectable.

It smokes a bit dry on the palate for me, and dries out my throat. Decent nicotine content if you are looking for that sort of thing in your tobacco. I would recommend this blend to most, but it is just not my cup o' tea.

Update 7-15-12

I knew I must have been missing something from this blend. I smoked through another tin, and am starting to enjoy it! Bumped up to 3 stars.

@martz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
@martz (3)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Compared to top-notch english blends I feel that this a three star tobacco, but in comparison to the other aromatics that I have smoked this is a four star blend.

This flake makes me want to smoke more aromatics. Since I have picked up the pipe I have naturally steered away from the aromatics without interest (I smoked cigars prior, so I had an inlinations for all-natural tobacco. I have smoke a few aromatics before; they were fun, but not something I would like to smoke normally). But, after smoking University Flake I want some more. It just tastes so good, and the plum flavoring is supported by the tobacco's flavor rather than overshadowing it. This stuff smells so good that I just want to eat it.

I noticed that it smokes best, from my experiece, broken rather than howl. When I smoked the entire flake the flavor landed harshly on my toungue and the plum was faint in the background. Smoked broken it tasted like the tobacco's flavor was well married with the plumb flavoring, and it was much more easy on the tongue. Also there is a good amount of nic in this, but it is certainly not an 'n-bomb.'

I think that I am actually going to buy a briar for aromatics eventually, rather than using a corncob for the once rare ocassion of smoking aromatics.

Carbon cake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carbon cake (9)
Strong Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I had seen this tobacco at my local shop but didn't buy it the first time I went, so I waited about a week then went back to buy it. I was really looking forward to smoking this blend because I had not found a blend with good nic levels. When I got home I went to pop the tin and found that it was open and looked like someone had taken a flake or two out. It must have been opend for a while because it was so dry that when I went to grab a flake it just crumbled to pieces. To make the best of a bad situation I rehydrated the flakes and was able to pack a bowl. It smoked really cool but was hard to keep lit. It had no taste And no nic at all so there was no buzz . I was really sad about this and I will have to get another tin so I can really give this a good try. I will be reviewing this tobacco again once I get a new tin .

I have not bought a new tin but I took the flake that I rehydrated and put it In to an air tight jar and let it sit for the last few days an to day I packed a bowl and it was great. It smoked cool and didn't bite . It had a nice taste and I only had to light it once. The nic levels are high and gave me a nice strong relaxed buzz. I am so glad I gave this another try. I am going to keep this tobacco in my normal rotation.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My quintessential burley smoke of which i have had quite a few tins.

This was my first ever flake which was a novelty at the time. I liked the way you could rub it,tear it,roll it,crush it,twist it or stuff it to suit how you wanted it to burn according to my taste or for the type of pipe.

Its appearance reminded me of strips of cork engine sump oil tray gasket,and it was neat and compact in the pocket sized rectangle tin which i could re-use for keepin rollup tobacco in.(They have since changed the design of the tin to a flatter and wider shape which isn't as tight or robust after opening.)

My original scibbled pencil notes describe: "Cool strong and cigarish.Dry smoker.Mature natural sociable aroma.Complimentary drink is definately "Newcastle Brown Ale".Scottish oat cakes with salted butter.Bran flakes.Savoury. Initially i was glad to finish the tin as i was new to this and although i found it pleasurable,i found it hard work as well."

(i was still new to the strength of burley and the fact that inconjunction with alcohol and its slow buning forever aspect i would fatigue due to the nicoteen.)

"But like a memory that needs a 2nd visit sometime later i have repurchased this and it reminds me of times and places,where i was and who was around me.It brings back memories like instant recal.Good outdoor smoke."

Tin aroma is akin to digestive biscuits with a light natural wild raspberry topping. Loading the pipe and sucking to test the packing and draw i taste a creamy wheat and somewhat malty taste like a buttery cheese cake base,with a natural berry fruit hint.

Benefits from a 1 hour airing before smoking it if using a larger bowl;2 flakes folded and stuffed will last me @1 hour 20 mins. Lights easy and stays lit well,burns clean and is low maintenance.

A real cool long burner with no bite. Good nicoteen kick and not to be underestimated. Produces a heavy talcish ash with little dottle,and whatever doesn't get burned can be put on top of the next bowl for lighting material.

Tastes how it smells in the tin;an all grain,nutty ala sunflower seeds, mild hazel nuts,cereal bran, maltyness,light condenced milk,with a subdued berryish hint that is welcome without distractive intrusion...Very natural.A rasberry flapjack almost.

Nice berry nutty bicuity room note.

Quite simular in certain ways to Irish Flake but more nutty burley component and possibly less sweet in the tobacco sence than Irish Flake,but the topping maybe sweeter than what is in Irish Flake.

I did until recently prefer this to Irish Flake but;with some recent pipe and baccy combination trials i have since discovered that Irish Flake totally shines in a pyrolytic graphite liner bowl ala "the pipe"/"the smoke"/"venturi",and so i now rate them equally.

I have have smoked this in Briar,Meerschaum lined bowls,Clays and I prefer it in Clay for the concentration of taste(not that this tobacco lacks). Although at the time of this review i have been using a blue "The Smoke"-"Woodstock" shape pyrolytic liner pipe. Its ok in a Briar but i miss certain strengths that i get from from clay hot burner pipes;certain briars i feel are too open draw and i prefer a tighter draw pipe for more strength.

Stored in a 125ml glass kilner jar which holds about 100g (two tins worth)with the flakes cut in half for max storage and preservation of flake form it stores and ages well.A few months out of the tin and in a jar produces a dryer,richer,mellower and more mature rounded smoke, with only a faded topping.

One of the few tobacco's i have smoked around other proto pot head cigarette smokers, whom i let have a go of my pipe:They were inhaling and payed the price later i think when i got reports of their after binge drinking hangover;"I was throwing up last night and all i could taste and smell was your pipe". Oh well..Burley is quite strong afterall.

A semi aromatic with a serious and quality tobacco base,and always consistant. Easily a 3.5 star tobacco,real quality and with me its a regular purchase.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very nice flake. The burley is apparent, and when I first tasted it I was a bit concerned. It grows on you. Very strong nic levels, I inhaled a big gulp first thing in the morning (ex ciggie smoker) and it nearly made me sick, dizzy and sore guts etc. If smoked slowly the exhale through the nose is really pleasant, slightly nutty, slightly sweet, absolutely no trace of a plum topping.

I smoke this primarily in a mm freehand, but when I only smoke half of it and leave the rest, it tastes bitter and nasty when I finish it. I just do my best to knock it off in one sitting. Top shelf stuff, I have already bought more.

ARIMA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ARIMA (12)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Unnoticeable

I found this just a little strong. Maybe it's just a lack of experience on my part( smoke only 3 bowls a week)or maybe I'm just a light weight. I'll re-try this down the road.

Withnail Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Withnail (16)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

If you like a good hit of nicotine from your pipe, this blend is certainly worth a try. The flakes are easy to rub out (or fold if you prefer) and burns evenly to the bottom of the bowl.

As usual, I tried this blend before reading anything about it that might cloud my judgement. On reading of the plum flavouring it was a case of "ahh, so that's what it was". You can tell that there is something in the fruit line there, but this is not at all what I would call an aromatic. I certainly wouldn't have come up with "plum" purely from the flavour.

I would say this makes a wonderful smoke for a cold evening, but I would find it too high in nicotine to smoke all day. Having said that, I will be putting a couple of tins aside to see how this blend ages and I have added it to my regular stable of smokes. As noted above, this would suit someone moving to a pipe from cigarettes, although you probably don't want to smoke too much on an empty stomach. Goes well with a nice strong cup of tea when you want to wind down at the end of the day.

ErichPryde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ErichPryde (9)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me immediately start this review by saying if you are looking for a VA flake that has flavoring, albeit relatively mild, and has a solid dose of nicotine, this may very well be the flake for you.

As soon as a I popped the tin I was hit with a strong aroma of dried fruits, especially plums.

This was one of the first flakes I tried, and as far as adjusting to smoking flakes this one was relatively cooperative. Just, not to my taste.

If you want a relatively plain "tobacco" (read: Burley, cigarette) tasting Va flake, Orlik's golden sliced may be for you. Golden sliced is not my favorite (perhaps because of the high burley content) but it is certainly more of a tobacco man's tobacco than this.

If you want just Va, go with Dunhill flake.

jhigh58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhigh58 (13)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Only began pipe smoking August 2011 with Blockade Runner and with Cooper. This is a mild smooth smoke. Has more nicotine than some but not overwhelming. Did not notice a flavoring. Aroma of a plug of chewing tobacco. Maybe Days o' Work. Smoked a bowl by breaking the flat and packing the bowl, which worked well, rather than rubbing out and got richer taste.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This flake doesn't do anything wrong, it's just not very special either.

It's a bit like smoking Irish Flake when you've got a head cold.

If there is plum then I'm not sensitive enough to find it. If you're looking for a flake with a subtle, sweet flavouring then I'd probably recommend getting some Mick McQuaid plug and a sharp knife.

Not a bad smoke though, just not highly recommended.

Update: I still don't find any plum. Someone described it to me as tasting of stewed apples which seems more fitting. My new tin seems to have wider, thinner flakes than I remember. It's still a three star, but a high three star. I'm sure I'll get this again, but I won't seek it out.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (46)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the first flake tobacco I'd ever had. It's a very good blend. A Virginia/Burley blend with just a tiny bit of plum flavoring. I couldn't really detect the plum much at all in the 3 or 4 times I've smoked this blend. It burns very well, especially outside. I like the ability to have the flake how I want. To either rub it out or fold and stuff it. This blend does have a good amount of nicotine in it. After a long hour and a half smoke my head was ringing as I stood up. Definitely a blend I'd reccommend to crossovers from cigarettes. Very good blend tasting mostly the tobacco and getting a good dose of vitamin-n. If you haven't tried a flake pick this one up.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A nice quality medium flake.

The Virginias taste similar to those of Dunhill Flake with just a bit of burley and a light topping which tastes of fruit skin. You know the tangy-but-not-juicy-or-particularly-sweet experience of eating the skin of a plum or a berry? That's what this flavouring brings to my mind. It's nice but quite lightly applied.

It's a good tobacco but if I want a fruity flavoured flake I'll go to Firedance Flake and if I want a straight medium Virginia flake I'll go to Dunhill Flake. So I like it but I'm just not sure if I'll buy it too regularly.

Also, I don't like the new tin shape as much as the older one.

hessu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hessu (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Though neither Peterson themselves nor the present manufacturer, Kohlhause & Kopp, promotes this as an aromatic blend, I wondered where people got that plum from? To me, I thought the UF was not an aromatic blend, but a mixture of straight Virginia and Burley, as it says in the tin. And on their website as well. So, if there was a topping - which I did not get - it was extremely mild and tobacco-like. I did not know about the reason until I read Kohlhause & Kopp's description. Aroma: Pflaume. That stands for plum, naturlich. It is not tagged as aromatic in the table, however. But there is supposed to be a hint of plum in the aroma.

Flakes are nice, clean and not too moist. They're not a mess, but evenly cut. Box linings have been spotless so far. Very nice packing, indeed. Flakes are large as well, more than 4 grams each so you'll nicely fill a small flake pan with one. It seems Kohlhause & Kopp has picked up the recipe quite fast though they cut the flakes in a different way from the previous maker, Murray. I've not smoked these German made flakes until late spring, as I had and still have some old stock, and to me tobacco from this new maker is as good as it ever was. It is a little lighter in colour, but I do not notice any major differences with the aroma, burn rate, ease of handling or smoking pleasure compared to Old Irish make.

Let it dry for awhile, however, an hour or so, of course it depends on the moisture conditions you're in. Then roll, bend, twist, a very modest rubbing will do. This way you'll get thick, creamy smoke, a true mouthful. Taste is fresh, nutty, fruity, mellow, but at least to me it is pure tobacco. It doesn't smell or taste of cigarettes, instead it has a sweeter, easy going aroma. Nice, but not aromatic. No wunderbaums in this tin. I get absolutely no topping. Taste is not musty, dry or dark by any means. A very delightful, cool and evenly burning tobacco.

It's effects then, I have had no problems smoking two flakes at a time. However it can take me four hours so I seldom light up more than one at a time. It works very nicely, clears my head and makes it very easy to write.

I've shared a flake or two with a colleague, and he complains about light-headedness after an hour. So you might be aware.

Relights are sometimes needed, sometimes not. Not uncommon to burn a flake to white ash on two lights.

Taipanmamba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taipanmamba (16)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Another fantastic tobacco from Peterson . Beautiful presentation in a small gold square tin - looks distinguished formal and academic . Great flakes - uniform shape and quality. I prefer the fold and stuff method and would recommend using a fairly large bowl. Lights easy enough straight from the tin but I noticed a solid improvement with a little bit of drying out. The plum topping is barely discernable. The flavour is dominated by a rich burley. This packs a real kick and I wouldn't smoke it on an empty stomach. Can give a bit of gurgle but nothing too problematic. Room note is not unpleasant but fairly strong. I love this mid morning with nice coffee. 3 stars .

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I found this to be quite a pleasant smoke, if a little on the strong side (but nowhere near as strong as Irish Flake). The tobacco seems of good quality, is easy to light and burns nicely with rich earthy flavors. The plum flavoring was barely noticeable, if at all. This is a decent strong tobacco for the occasional smoke, but not one that I would smoke regularly, but it may grow on me..

Edit: This is not going to grow on me. I now realise, the reason; I can't seem to get on with Burley tobacco...

Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

Nice strong tobacco, I love the little tins that I can slip in my pocket (keep a rubber band on it or it will dry out). Tobacco has some N kick. I can smoke this any time of day and find myself reaching for it at all times but not an all day smoke. The taste is predominantly Virginia with the Burley in the background. I tend to smoke this fast and it will bite and burns hot. There is a slight taste and smell of raspberries, but I wouldn't say that it dominates or stays with more than a 1/3 of the bowl. Not a sweet tobacco but I would use the word, "Powerful". I've gotten many comments on how good it smells, but since I'm smoking it, I really don't know . I keep this around but not in my rotation but to smoke it in public. Nice to French inhale. Oh, and let it dry out a little. I just tried a wife test.... RESULTS: " quote " Not very good", there you have it fans, anything that is not, " get the hell out of here with that" is a fine smelling tobacco.

Updated 1/31/12- Well I found my use for this tobacco, "On the go, puff and throw", you know , for those quick puffs between bus stops on the public streets. Using a small "beater", you load it to 1/3 bowl and puff away. The Nic is high so you " get your fix on Route 66" and since it smells so good for the initial 1/3 bowl, loading only a 1/3, the whole smoke is good to the passersby's. Oh, and I have smoked this tobacco so dry it's brittle and it all works the same? Use it this way, you may say it's a 4 star !!!

piedpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpiper (26)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Well, I never thought I'd be awarding 4 stars to an aromatic blend-but count 'em 4 stars! I historically have been a smoker of English & the occasional cigar blend. The first time I tried this, without checking the aroma in the tin, I thought (per the tin description) that I was smoking a burley & Virginia flake. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste & later discovered that it has a plum flavoring as described above. I picked up the tin from a cigar shop @ my local mall to supplement my monthly shipped order. I've since revisited this offering several times to find that it grows on you! As other reviewers have noted, the casing flavor doesn't overpower. One of the issues I usually have with aromaticss is that they don't taste very much like whatever the flavoring is supposed to be & don't taste very much like tobacco either. Perique has often been described as a plum & pepper taste & I like that in an English or my current primary blend, which is a Virginia- Perique with cigar leaf. Perhaps it's that type of plum-like flavor that appeals to me. In any case, it gets my 4 star rating. Just wish tinned flakes weren't so damned expensive! Update on 7-30-11: On further analysis, I'm downgrading this to 3 stars. Still the best aromatic I think I've experienced ever. However, as others have indicated, the body slam from vitamin N with this blend (particularly in a larger bowl) is just too much to recommend it as an all-day smoke! Still a great change of pace blend for me though.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

University Flake claims to have a plum scent, but after many tins I don't see the connection. There is a unique topping but I disagree with those that refer to this flake as an aromatic. I would call this scented in a similar fashion to Gawith Hoggarth scented flakes. The Burley seems to carry the weight of this flake and as a result, it's on the strong side. It arrives a bit moist and a little drying time won't hurt. I prefer to rub it out, but UF smokes well either way. As others have pointed put, it is a love or hate blend. I find it a nice change of pace from VA or Vaper flakes.

Alex1001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alex1001 (1)
Strong Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

First experience: 5/5 , but later bowls 2/5

Pros: full of vitamin N, smooth and slow burn. Not really flavorful just as everyone has mentioned almost a not noticeable fruit taste (just the right amount)

Cons: every time has left me nauseous to my stomach particularly if on empty stomach and if you don't start it with matches.

Overall, my first tin is done and as much as I wanted this to be my favorite, the search will continue. If I could replicate my first bowl of this tobacco it would have definitely been my favorite. I might come back later in time to give it another chance.

Old Schoolr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Schoolr (12)
Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A nice flake style aromatic. Reminds me of MacBaren's Navy Flake but seems to have a bit more Va. tobaccos in the blend. The tin was well sealed & the product looked like top quality leaf. Don't let the small size of the tin fool you, once rubbed out you'll be surprised by how far a flake goes. For me it seems to smoke best rubbed out & a bit dry. The plum top note is nice, not overpowering. I occasionally get a tarry note from blends w/ Va. tobaccos but not from UF. It has some nicotine & will sucker punch you on an empty stomach. I will buy this again.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (67)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

It's amazing how a title for a blend can set the stage for an experience. How could you not see a university professor at a college in Ireland smoking on the way to his next class? That's the visual I get. Refined, educated, studious. Horned rim glasses, anyone? UF is a nice full smoke with a kick. I must admit that it is my favorite Peterson blend, too. It will quench the fiercest of nic urges, but you won't be craving a pipe when you're done. That's kind of a drawback, really. One good one is enough. It's like Irish Flake in that way, highly doused in Vitamin N. What else you would expect from Peterson?

nismo270r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nismo270r (2)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the tobacco that introduced me to flakes, and I'm very glad it did. A good shot of vitamin N with this one, and a smooth, cool smoke that burned clean down to a nice white ash. The casing flavor is just enough to be lurking in the background, but never overpowering the great flavor of the tobacco. A must try, and a great intro to flakes for anyone that hasn't had the opportunity to try them. I haven't tried it rubbed out, but cube cut, or folded is great!

Rick Garrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rick Garrett (1)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

I have been smoking this for several years. One of the best flakes IMHO. Six months ago, I would have given this a 5 star rating. Recently, I have smoked 2 tins that are much lighter in color and "softer" slice. Not sure what happened, perhaps the new German blender is still working out the formula. The last 2 tins rate 4 stars, still very good. The plum flavoring is very light, and stays in the background. A good smoke, decent nicotine hit, excellent burley taste with just enough Virginia to keep it sweet. Good stuff. Part of my regular rotation. Proper handling/stuffing is required to enhance the smoke. You-tube has several excellent instructional vids to help anyone learn a good method.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

An excellent blend of burley and Virginia tobaccos. The somewhat muted flavors are primarily in the base range, with some sweetness from the Virginias and a light fruit-like topping. I enjoy this best in the morning, but is nice before bed if I haven't been smoking more flavorful blends beforehand. I find UF very satisfying in nicotine, particularly as an eye opener in the early morning.

In my opinion UF is a classic flake that every pipe smoker should try. I recommend smoking an entire tin before forming a final conclusion because its positive qualities are subtle and take some time to acclimate to. If you like UF, Peterson's Irish Flake will knock your socks off, like UF on steroids. Even though they are now both made in Germany, they have retained that "Irish" essence or quality that is so important in the history of our great hobby.

kenneth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kenneth (15)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I don't know what has happened to UF but recent purchases have consisted of a very dark brown flake and what ever the blenders use for casing is much too pungent for my taste plus I find it to be very acidic on my stomach. I have smoked this tobacco for three years and it has been consistent up until now.

I hope they sort it out. Has anyone else noticed changes to UF?

Jan 2012. I am pleased to report UF now seams to be back to it's old self although the flake could still be sliced a little finer to enhance rubbing. Providing one rubs up in advance the moisture content levels out and the result is a slow burning satisfying smoke in any weather at any time of day. Peterson's just slice it thinner please

Dunc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dunc (9)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

A very good down-to-earth honest flake tobacco. I have used the rub-out method and the roll & stuff (Franke) method with this flake. It smokes well with whatever is your prefered method. It burns slowly with no tongue bite. The taste is typical of a Burley blend with a nice nutty flavour. Peterson say there is a topping of a plum but after smoking this for several years I have never tasted it. I smoke UF as my first smoke of the day, every day and love to sit with my first bowl of the day accompanied with my first cup of tea. It burns down to a fine white ash with no dottle. I love it and highly recommend it to anyone who likes Burley.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A nice smoke, finished a few bowls of it today in flake-style pipes, fold/stuff method...smoked very nice, a few relights to get it going this way but enjoyed the blend once I got it stoked, slow-sip'in style is best...isn't it always

Update: 1/19/2012 - This stuff has become one of my go-to/fav smokes...I have found that some dry time, about an hour or so before smoking works best (as does with al bacci I guess)...really a great flake

ChevySpoons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChevySpoons (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco is an old friend, but one I haven't enjoyed in a few years. Still, a recently-purchased tin was all that I remembered: a full aroma in the tin, with just a hint of topping; beautiful flakes that rub out easily; easy lighting; and a nice flavour and aroma. As I remembered, it's best enjoyed by sipping--it is Virginia-sweet, but tempered by Burley (and, it is claimed, "fire-cured Kentucky" and "sun-cured leaf from India"); and a gentle smoking beings out the flavours of all the tobaccos. The plum topping never overwhelms, but does add a nice room note. Definitely recommended.

Bike Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bike Pipes (10)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

After my woeful experience with Peterson aromatics I was reluctant to go to “school” with this blend, especially with its “plum” topping.  The good news for me is that the artificialness of the casing is quite subdued, and any scent that peeks out from behind the burley curtain is complementary to the overall taste.   The burn characteristics of this blend are superb, nary a bite nor are exorbitant relights required.  Presentation in the tin is pleasing to the eye, the flakes are easy to rub out or fold and smoke down to ashes.  UF is a blend to be appreciated by beginners to veterans, its quality is sure to please.

T. Collin Francis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Collin Francis (15)
Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

Very nice flakes with a leathery raisin tin note. Rubbed out the tobacco stays lit very well and did not get wet as so many aromatics do, which is very nice. Cool smoke. University Flake is a very nice aromatic but nothing like an across the counter drug-store aro. Room note is very berry like, I didn't get it until I left the room and came back a few minutes later. With quick sips you can dedect a bit of chocolate. Very enjoyable with a little more nicotine than most aromatics.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a tin based on the reviews here. This isn't a bad Burley blend & I see why it has a fairly large following. Fairly enjoyable smoke but just didn't push my button for some reason. A fruity note was quite noticeable and fades a little as more of the bowl burns off.

I finished the tin before reviewing but this stuff just didn't ring my bell. I found this blend to be a little harsh...I'm not into Burleys that much anyway. UF will not be in my rotation & doubtful that I'll ever purchase another tin. IMO, Irish Flake is a better blend over this mixture & I rated it a four.

Not bad at all for a Burley blend and the plum flavoring was lightly applied but it left me wanting...something with a smoother edge & a sweeter tobacco taste. Therefore, IMHO, UF merits 2.4 stars.

Cavicchi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cavicchi (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had an opportunity to try this blend at the monthly pipe club meeting and liked it very much. I can detect a slight, fruity casing in the tobacco, but I feel that in this case it certainly adds to the overall flavor of the burley and virginias. Not overpowering nicotine wise, but does carry a hit worth mentioning - may still be too strong for some folks, however. Myself, I find it just right, and enjoy it along with a cup of orange green tea in the evening, or even with a good cup of coffee. I feel that this is a high quality tobacco blend and is definitely now among my top favorites. This is one you must try for yourself.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Peterson UF .. Could be a tasty tobacco in spite of it topping, for some, but in my opinion the hard work of keeping this stuff lit and it's rather oh-hum casting makes this stuff not worth the afford. And for it cost, I believe you can do better. What it takes to get a adequate volume of smoke is puffing, leaving me with a scorched mouth feel and what feels like nausea from nicotine OD or some foul chemical, I know I'm in the minority with this, but that is my experience, and in this case, not a good one. Like I said. there are many others to choose from, many with far better manners. It's your dime.

Subcomandante Claes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Subcomandante Claes (2)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not a big fan of aromatics and I didn't really expect Peterson University Flake to be one. It has a really nice strength to it and it is a really full bodied high quality flavoured flake so why did they have to ruin it all by adding this "berry-like top dressing"? It is described as plum but to me it just tastes like a cheap sickening cherry flavour. Fifteen years ago when I smoked my first pipe a lot of my friends started smoking Borkum Riff Cherry because the room note smelt so nice. I couldn't stand the fake sweetness of aromatics so I started on Greve Hamiltons blandning instead.

I love Peterson's Irish Oak and Old Dublin and I really like flakes, especially Capstan's Original Navy Cut and of course a couple of the Samuel Gawith's, that's why I'm a bit disappointed that Peterson University Flake reminded me of a cheap cheery flavoured aromatic.

So if you are like me and prefer non-aromatics I would advice you not to bother with Peterson University Flake. It's a descent tobacco but the "berry-like top dressing" really ruined it for me.

LoKi6922 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoKi6922 (11)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

A nice easy smoking flake. Tasty, with a hint of plum. The room note is enjoyed by myself and my significant other, which is always a plus.

Another winner from Peterson. I really enjoy what they call an aromatic versus other brands. Peterson is a tobacco, through and through with aromatic hints, not a sugary glop of who knows what with some tobacco in it...

Recommend! Especially if this is your first flake. Between this and the Luxury Blend, and Old Dublin, I may never buy anything else! Well... That's not entirely true... Variety is the spice of life, but Petersons has been my daily smoke and will continue to be.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A lovely tobacco. When you open the tin you get a rich chocolate and berry nose, and more chocolate and berry when you smoke. I think this is medium to strong, possibly even strong, I smoke it in the small pipe I reserve for Condor and the like. Quality stuff.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I had declared in the past that Connoisseur's choice is the only Peterson I like, so I hesitated to purchase University Flake. I hesitated for one more reason. The name University associatively brought in my mind the following thoughts: University = Students = Young at age smokers = Inexperienced in pipe smoking = Simple Tocacco = Light Big mistake. One think this tobacco is not, is suitable for new pipe smokers. From one hand, all the good words I was hearing, from the other, its great price at Bilbao, where I found it, convinced me to buy it. It contains Virginia and Burley. It is not produced anymore by Murray Sons & Co. Ltd. It is produced by Kohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG of Germany. Pure luck??? I don't think so!!! Attractive tin. Very beautiful flake, thicker than usual, with oily surface. Dark colored, with blond highlights. It has a very discreet plum scent. Quite strong, nicotine wise, and it strengthens even more after the first half of the bowl. I used the cutting in cubes technique with these flakes also, which helps for easier filling of the bowl, but also so that the flakes keep their flavor and cohesion. It does not light up very easily. It usually takes two, maybe three attempts. Neutral to pleasant room note. I will try to find this tobacco again. I was totally satisfied.

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)

First flake I had was disgusting, but I gave it a second chance and it turned out alright. Like Irish Flake, it is not well behaved and needs constant relights, compared to say St Bruno Flake which smokes all the way down without more than one or two relights quite easily. Needs to be rubbed out all the way really, which for me sort of defeats the purpose of smoking flaked tobacco. But it tastes quite pleasant and has a nice room note. Doesn't feel very "university"-ish to me, though, I can't see many professors liking the berry flavouring. Perhaps "Muffin Flake" would be a better name. I'll finish the tin but I doubt I'll buy another, there are too many good flakes out there to settle for this.

JohnJelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnJelly (3)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A flake I often smoke. The amount of topping I taste in the smoke can be adjusted a bit with different drying of the flake. I do not want to smoke this out of the tin but I never let this one dry to tinder. I like an average drying allowing for a decent amount of topping. I naturally like this one and don't want to let the flavor slip away, I want to keep it present not hidden. This may be the most aromatic tobacco I smoke.

Burner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Burner (8)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This presents as neatly cut flakes smokable from the tin but benefits from a little drying. The burn is average usually requiring a few relights. The berry type topping for once compliments the tobacco flavour perfectly with none of the cloying yukkyness associated with some toppings. That said it is much more suble than an aromatic and the pure tobacco flavour shines through. This is a high quality tobacco that gives a satisfying flavoursome smoke with enough nicotine to be going on with. Highly recommended.

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (25)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a well balanced blend that I have tried in my Upshall, Stanwell, and my Boswells. All of these pipes did well with this blend. I like the mild berry along with the burlys going on during the smoke. The flakes are nice, and rub out well. This is a nice flake that I would tell anyone they should try. It seems to provide a nice even smoke in all of the pipes I have tried it in. I plan on getting some more.

gandalfthegrey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gandalfthegrey (3)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

ok folks this is quality stuff!!

i am smoking a bowl of this as i am writing this review.

wonderful full and smooth right to the bottom with a little berry flavor that fades nicely at the middle of the bowl,

smoking this in my castello sea rock chubby pot, i cut the flakes into cubes as i do with all my flakes which produce a very consistent burn with full flavor.

no tongue bite with this blend but its definately for the experienced pipster. why? because it needs to be savoured to realise its full potential. I had some irish flake yesterday and that was awesome uf can be considered as a little brother to irish flake. Dont smoke this on an empty stomach due to the lovely nicotine kick you get so smooth and rich. This not an aromatic dont be fooled because of the casing it is light, this is grown up stuff...

I highly recommend this, it comes out of the tin a little moist take a flake dry it out a little cut it into cubes pack it into your pipe tamp ever so lightly,

sit down grab a book light up and enjoy

it does not get any better than this!!!

TommyKinda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TommyKinda (6)
Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like this. I'm still fairly new to the hobby and this is one of my first flakes (also have some McCranies New Bedford). Perfect moisture level in my tin but being new I don't think I packed it right because it needed quite a few relights. Smoked it in a normal sized poker and it really opened the eyes towards the bottom of the bowl. Fairly strong for a guy just starting out. Excellent flavor though. The 'plumb' is really there at the start but settles into the background. Little to no bite and I still have the habit of hitting it hard at times. Highly recommend. Think I'm sticking to flakes thanks to this tin.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

For me, the strong burley tobacco and berry topping don't go together well. The topping, in the way it is being used here, reminds me of flavouring added to medicine. The combination is simply not congruent. In addition, this blend does not impart that very pleasant pipe aroma that I enjoy so much. And, I find it a bit of a chore to keep lit. Too many negatives for me.

As a result of its nic kick, I enjoyed this blend more when I was still addicted to nicotine (i.e. for a year or so after switching from cigarettes to pipes). Nowadays it holds little attraction. Still, I do recommend giving it a try, as the combination of strength and topping is unique and it clearly appeals to some smokers. Just come prepared: don't expect an aromatic with a kick, nor a good old plain tobacco.

j09823 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
j09823 (3)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I love this tobacco, and currently it is my favorite. They rarely have it at my local tobacconist, which is probably a good thing as it's much cheaper online. I first was drawn to the attractive tin, and I also liked the sound of the name. Upon opening my fist tin I was a little put off by the strong berry aroma, but the flakes are just lovely, the nicest I've seen.

The first time I smoke it I was not wildly impressed, but then it grew on me very quickly, and is now my main smoke. There is definitely a sweet take added by the berry topping and virginias, but not over powering so. For me it's the perfect balance when looking for a robust smoke with a slight sweet note.

Straight virginias for me are a tad too much on the sickly sweet side, so I think the burleys round off this blend. My other preferred smokes right now are Peterson's Old Dublin for an English blend, and the Frog Morton's range for a lighter tangy latakia smoke. I also like the McClelland's British Woods for a less tangy latakia similar to the Frog Morton's line.

Thomasius Wolff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thomasius Wolff (3)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

University Flake (together with Planta's Burberry) is one of the very few topped blends I can arrange myself with. The nicotine is reasonably strong, the taste presents the smoker with a harmony of well and finely tuned rich notes that suit the Burley tone quite charmingly; its fragrance - in a rather subtle way - commemorates olibanum. The burn is brilliantly slow and cool (as others have noted before me).

One of my all-time favourites over the years.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

University Flake has the same status as Erinmore flake: a Love or hate it tobacco.

Besides the occasional overly cased tin, which only happened twice, I must say I enjoy University Flake very much.

The flakes are dark, tasty, rich and the fruity note an excellent enhancer of the fine tobacco taste.

This flake is NOT for a beginner. The nicotine level is significant.

umm_bacon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
umm_bacon (12)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I do not like the first half of a bowl of University Flake. The combination of berry and burley is too much for me. Smoking this down makes me not like burleys. The second half of a bowl is okay, but I am still getting hints of that berry taste. I love Irish Flake, but University Flake is too...something...for me. I have almost made it through a tin of this, but I don't think that I will be seeking it out again. On the other hand, I think that I need to increase the rating I gave their plug. Maybe it is the berry flavoring, maybe I am just not a huge burley fan, but this just isn't for me.

To its credit, I have had good luck with the moisture content out of the tin. I fold it and once I get it going, it stays lit. I am not a fan of overt added flavors. The Lakeland essence (soap) I enjoy, tonquin in 1792 is not bad, there are a few others that I am okay with, but the berry taste that persists for much of this bowl is just off-putting for me.

I think I now need to find a spicy VaPer to cleanse the palate.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Really nice burley blend.

In a comfortably sized bowl, you can expect without difficulty 1h45 to 2h00 of pleasure.

Great in the evening, with a good movie or a good book.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

My tin is from 2004 (making it Murray's production), but I cracked it three weeks or so ago because I just had to try a new 'baccy, and have not been disappointed, though I usually wait until I have finished a tin or have a jar availiable. I am normally a Virginia man both in my geographical location and in my tobacco preferences, and this blend has a lot of Burley. But what a Burley it is! Wow, cool smoking, long smoking, nice topping that is strong in the tin yet fades a bit in the smoking (as a good topping should): what more could one ask? I've been smoking this pretty regularly since opening it, and have really enjoyed it. Just before packing the pipeful I am smoking right now in an unmarked handcarved smooth billiard, I noticed some nice sugar crystals when I held a flake in the light and at an angle. The smoke? Smooth, smooth, smooth! Nice for blowing out of the nose, a major consideration for blends I end up giving four stars to, and that is only half jest. The balance of the Virginia and Burley is perfect, and though some have criticized the topping, I find it pleasant and mainly unobtrusive. I am a fan of berry-like toppings, as long as they are not too strong. A couple other notes: first, the pipe I am smoking this in at the moment can overheat easily with some tobaccos, but is almost cool to the touch right now! I am sipping slowly, but still this points to good burning qualities. Second, I'm smoking inside, but the room note would probably be tolerable to a nonsmoker. But then, I'm not a nonsmoker, so I guess I don't know! No worries: I will be done with this tin in no time, and am seriously considering cellaring some. I will at least buy a couple more tins to smoke. I just wonder how much the more than five years of tin age (or perhaps the Murray's production, though there is nothing wrong with K&K) has helped my sample?

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The tin presentation is really first-rate, and alone makes it almost worth the price of admission.

The flakes crumble easily into the bowl, and burn beautifully. The tin aroma is of sweet tobacco, mixed with a bit of berry topping, I think. The topping, which smells like blueberry or raspberry, is fairly unobtrusive, but also likely unnecessary.

The tobacco itself smacks of dark fruit, and has a pleasant muskiness that makes it an agreeable companion. Rather like Irish Oak in its flavor profile, without the tendency to scorch.

A bit sweet for an everyday smoke, but I enjoyed it.

Zev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zev (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

My first flake and my first departure from the so-called drug-store blends. I've gone through two tins of this stuff and I just love it. Smokes nice and cool and smells great, especially the morning after. It compliments not only whisky, but cola as well; I prefer this blend in the evening, with a good book or just quiet contemplation on my day. As with all flakes, there is a bit of ritual involved in the process of preparing it to be smoked, so perhaps this adds to my enjoyment of this understated but wonderful blend. Can't wait to try more flakes as this blend made me a convert.

I smoked this is a Peterson Aran bent billiard. Because of UF, I've dedicated the pipe to flake only and can't wait to try more varieties.

lukers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lukers (1)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is presented very well, nice tin, and the tobacco is lined up in neat flakes that are easily stuffed or rubbed out. When I opened the tin I immediately smelled the berry topping and thought, "this isnt the way tobacco should smell," but no matter, as I only got a whiff or two of the topping during smoking. What I didn't find particularly pleasing was the distinct taste of burning cotton candy about halfway down the bowl, and which seemed to deepen as I went on. I couldn't quite get over that taste.

I would have to agree with monopod below in that this is another "continental" tobacco much like McBaren or Orlick, somehting along those lines. It's a step up from drugstore brands, but that doesn't really say much. I don't think it was worth the $14 I paid for the tin. I wanted to like this more than I did, and had some high hopes, but alas was let down. Can't give it one star because it wasn't the worse that I've tried.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Here is a tobacco I couldn't do without.

Opening the tin, the aroma really is quite nice. The flakes look absolutely gorgeous, and the moisture level is just right. You could let it breathe for a bit but there's no need. The tobacco responds well to being folded or rubbed out. Personally, I just take a flake, fold, then stuff into a tall, narrow Meerschaum. This stuff burns so slow and so cool it's ridiculous. You can really taste the Burley, yet sadly only get hints of Virginia in there. It's quite spicy as well, which is nice.

If the main tobacco in this was Virginia instead of Burley, I would give it top marks, as I'm more of a Virginia kinda guy. But still, this is a very enjoyable, slow burning and tasty tobacco that there aren't really any faults with it. The fact that it burns so slow and cool are a big bonus in my books. Does not leave any mess in your pipe except a fine grey ash. Very easy to maintain and enjoy.

The flavor is quite full, and overall it's very satisfying, as it just lasts so long overall. A single flake goes a long way. I have no idea about the room note and I really couldn't care less - I smoke to please myself, not others.

One of Peterson's best.

risle-lariviere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
risle-lariviere (33)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

The flakes are well cut and easy to rub right out the tin therefore you can smoke right away without dry out . Quality tobacco it is and while the berry top-dressing is somehow noticeble i wouldn't consider it aromatic but rather sweet in taste . Nicotine wise i consider it medium with a tendency to the strong side but as i'm a former cigarette smoker it's just right for me . All in all a great flake but could have been a bit sweeter to please Aro smokers.

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice burley blend with a sweet fruity flavor. While there's definitely a topping for sweetness, I suspect a lot of the blueberry flavor is from the fermented kentucky and virginia rather than the casing, simply because the room aroma doesn't particularly smell like blueberry whereas the taste does. At any rate, I've become rather fond of it as a change of pace tobacco and for coloring meerschaums, and plan on ordering a half dozen more when this tin runs out.

Ozzie_dad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ozzie_dad (7)

I was very excited to try this flake. Maybe since I was so excited, I was a little more disappointed than usual. Out of the tin this flake smells kind of like old leather with some old fruit thrown on top. This did not phase me because we know that a tobacco can smell pretty bad but taste amazing. It was fairly hard to keep lit for me. The taste was pleasant and the berry topping came through in the smoke. This tobacco would go very nicely with a long book. I recommend this tobacco, it just was not as good as I wanted it to be.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

Yet another tasteless smoke form Peterson's. Why do I bother with Peterson's blends if they are all tasteless ?

Well, I didn't buy this one out of choice. It was a bonus would you believe when I treated myself to a new pipe from E-bay. I guess on reflection it couldn't actually be classed as a bonus....

Tin-opening aroma reminds me of a pair of old leather boots, past their best. The flake itself is alligned in the tin in neat rows and breaks into ribbons quite easily. I still struggle with packing a pipe. In this case I tried rubbing it out rather than folding.

It produced that slight leathery taste that some folks might appreciate, but all it did for me was remind of 'old men's' pipes from when I was a kid in the 60' and 70's. It needs a lot of relights and in the end I got fed up with it and put it to one side.

Returning to a cooled pipe made little difference it was still a pretty awful smoke.

It says in the description from Peterson's something about a berry dressing. Er....no I think not.Indeed I can find no particualrly redeeming features taste-wise.

It burns hotter than Hades, bites like the Devil and leaves behind a demonic tongue bite, and a vile taste in the mouth.

I certainly won't be trying it again.

Mr. Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Mac (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Not bad. The fruity topping is strong and a bit garish upon lighting, but changes gears mid-bowl to become more incense-like (one of our esteemed colleagues used this term to describe the room note, and I wholly agree). Smokes kinda hot for a burley, but I'll air it out some more and see how it goes. Decent amount of nicotine. Gets a little bitter down near the bottom of the bowl, sort of like the last inch of a cigar, but I've got no problem tossing the last bit--life's too short to be a bowl-cake nazi anyway.

UPDATE: I've got most of the way through a tin of University Flake, and I don't think I'll buy any more for a number of reasons: I don't care much for the topping; it smokes almost as hot as a va/per and is considerably harsher; the flavor gets markedly worse as the bowl progresses; and it doesn't DGT well. Personal gripes aside, however, it gets full points for character and is definitely a "serious" blend.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

If you're an experienced pipe smoker who has tried various Virginia/Burley flakes, then I would highly recommend UF. Skip it if you're early in the hobby or new to flakes, because you may not be ready for it. To me, this is not an "easy smoking blend," as the tin proclaims, and is not a heavily cased tobacco for aero lovers. It is rich, tasty, and a touch spicy at times, and is best enjoyed when sipped and handled with care. It also provides a pleasing dose of Vitamin N.

Its light sweetness is derived more from the topping than the tobaccos, although the flavoring doesn't eclipse the core Burleys and Virginias, and it is very pleasing to my palate. I prefer a touch of flavoring in my VA blends, and this one is deftly applied. I find UF much more robust and interesting than other "medium" VA flakes, such as Golden Sliced or Dunhill Flake, probably because it contains more Burley, and as such has more body. By contrast, it is more "rough around the edges" (in a good way) than most of the smooth concoctions from Lakeland.

Highly recommended!

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (23)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I've long since been cured of the " I-like-one-so-I-must-like- them-all" type of manufacturer, and this is no different. Continental processed tobacco is what I would call it. Packaged .. just like MacBaren, presented..just like MacB, Looks ...just like MacB,packs just like.... smokes, just like....tastes, just like MacB, bites tongue just like,makes throat sore.....But you've got the picture. Why some kinds of tobacco affect one smoker and not another is strange perhaps, but we're all different, with different sensitivities to our membranes in the mouth.

I'm getting tired of doing these reviews. All I want are one or two really good wholesome unpolluted tobaccos, and this isn't another of them.

Think of burning sugar, then think what it's doing to your tongue, mouth and lungs.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

University Flake was a pretty good blend. I liked the flakes themselves. They were easy to handle and made rubbing or stuffing simple and with the least amount of mess that is possible. It took three to four matches to light up, though, where most take only two. Contrary to most Peterson blends that I have tried, it stays lit for a while, usually needing only one relight. The tobacco burns to a nice, soft whiteish/ grey ash. The taste is strong, but I believe that is because I used an unfiltered pipe (as I always do). However, just because it's strong didn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I will keep it in rotation, but not as an everyday blend.

Thunderchunkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thunderchunkie (4)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ill be putting more of this in my cellar.

opening the tin, beautiful raisiny/rum tin note, mossy and dark smelling, very earthy. love the presentation, edible looking, hehe.

I have to rub flakes out cause, to date, i havent been able to smoke a bowl in one shot by stuffing it without 6 or 7 relights hahaa. the initial taste was very full, no real casing or topping i could taste but the burley in it was slightly bitter, not offendingly so though. finished the bowl in one shot, no relights. excellent smoke!

ItarPeyo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ItarPeyo (19)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

This was very hard for me to enjoy. First it causes some reaction in my mouth that results in chemical burn, this caused me to be very careful how I smoked it and I couldn't get much smoke or taste out of it. Otherwise it seems to be a good quality tobacco with a light topping which doesn't smell/taste very chemical. The flakes are very easy to rub out and fill the pipe with. Just be careful leaving this in the popped tin because it doesn't seem to hold the tobacco moist for longer periods.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)

A true love it or hate it blend. Easy to work with, no relight issues, and really shines when rubbed to a fluffy state and packed in a tall thin bowl. This is not to take away from folding and stuffing two flakes at once in a large pipe, which is heavenly as well. The VAs in this aren't citrusy, but have a fruity essence to them and a nice smooth natural sweetness. The burley in the blend helps make this a very attention getting and quick to transform tobacco. I have been finding notes of toasted marshmallow, creme brule', heavy dark cocoa, and that blast of berry that hits me like a freight train every third or fourth time I end up snorking or retrohaling. This nic level is nice, not to huge a hit, but will satisfy in short order. I tried to make it bite, it won't. It can smoke hot and ashy, but won't hurt me. It burns to a clean dry gray ash and the pipe is left clean with hardly any dottle. My briars hardly need a swipe of the pipe cleaner, no slop to speak of. This is going to be in my rotation for some time to come.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Took a while to get used to this flake. In the right pipe (filtered) and sipped slowly.. This is a flavoursome little number.

It tastes/smokes like a slightly fruit flavoured FVF by SG. Equally as strong as FVF, and as I have found with most flakes, has to be smoked slowly to reap the rewards.

Recommended if you fancy a break from pure aromatics. You can certainly taste the tobacco, but the mild berry type topping ensures that those who aren't ready for a full strong 'tobacco only' flavour (such as Irish Flake) are not offended..

Smoke it slow...and give it a go!

Rehfeldttw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rehfeldttw (8)

This is the most delicious tobacco i have tasted so far. It has a full rich tobacco taste. A good woody, earthly roast that is very pleasing to the palate. I just can't get enough of this. I go through a tin in like 2 days. So, you get the point.

Once you open the tin, I recommend that you let the tin open for at least 1/2 hour before smoking it. You want to have the tin dry a bit (turn the baccy over and repeat the process) before smoking it to give you a cool taste/burn.

Overall, the baccy burns evenly with no tongue bite. Highly recommended for one venturing into a full English/Virginia blend.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (56)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A friend was kind enough to provide me with some flakes of this (a couple of years ago, so you might want to take my review with a grain of salt). I never made any coherrent notes of it while smoking it, but I was told this was about the best flake you could possibly put in your pipe, and all other Peterson's I've tried (before and since) have been very good, so I was pretty excited to try it. But somehow it failed to impress me very much. I was looking forward to have my head spinning from the strength and "excessive" nicotine content. But that never happened. In fact it was more mild and dull than strong. Not unpleasant, as I recall, just unremarkable. I might give it another shot some time (if nothing else than to provide a more fair review, and/or add a tin to collection), but I won't be in any particular rush to hunt down a tin.

Pipe Boiler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Boiler (11)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Another winner for me from Peterson. I have liked all that I have tried so far. It is my first flake tobacco so the extra work was a challenge. After some hilarious false starts I broke it into small pieces and had most success. 3 re-lights per bowl is my average but that is not important. This along with Old Dublin will be a regular for me. Didnt get any whiskey aroma or flavour but plum was hinted at. I cant pin the flavour down....maybe thats why its described as "thinking mans tobacco". 75 minutes of relaxation per bowl for me.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

New style tin...aroma was similar to Irish Flake with a slight fruity note. The aroma was akin to plums/prunes, or berries, or maybe jelly donuts??? I dried out a small amount very well & rubbed it into a shag-like consistancy before stuffing me wee Peterson #317, which I've consigned to the stronger blends. The smoking taste is similar to the tin aroma...slightly sweet & fruity. Initially, it was very mild & tongue/palate discomfort was minimal. Can't say much about the room note because my wife ran me outside before I had a chance to offer a viable assessment on that. Women who don't smoke pipes are like that!

I gave Irish Flake a four star rating for having good burning characteristics, smoothness, taste & N factor, but this one was a bit lacking for me. This blend didn't start out too bad, but it became tasteless & harsh during the second half of the bowl. I shan't be purchasing another tin because there are many tastier & cheaper blends available. I gave this blend ample opportunity to become likable, but it just wouldn't happen. If you like a mild, VABUR pipe tobacco with a feint, fruity room note (just enough to moderately mask the tobacco odor) that burns pretty cool & taste fairly good, then UF is for you! Therefore, IMHO, UF merits between 2 & 2 1/2 **s!

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

University Flake reminds me very much of Erinmore Flake. Same fruity kind of top note out of the tin. Shortish, mottled flakes (I remember Erinmore having a slightly darker look). Similar flavor profile, similar strength. Both are composed of clearly high quality leaf, which despite the apparent flavoring, still provide a rich tobacco taste. Peterson explains in the tin description that University Flake is composed of both Virginias and Burleys, which is how I interpreted Erinmore Flake (I would guess University Flake is bigger on the Burleys). Overall, two great tobaccos, but neither are a favorite of mine--though I did manage to finish my tin of Erinmore Flake, and it's very likely that University Flake will receive the same treatment.

Three and a Half of Five.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Peterson's University Flake is no longer produced by Murray, Sons & Co (Ireland), and is currently produced by Kohlhase & Kopp of Germany. It's current tin description reads, "An easy smoking blend of fine Virginia and Burley tobaccos, made the traditional way." According to the K&K website, the top dressing applied, which had previously been described as berry, is "pflaume" (translated as plum). Not having ever smoked the Murray version, I can not say whether or not the current incarnation of University Flake is identical to its predecessor.

The flake presentation is one of neatly layered, medium thickness strips of a medium to dark brown with some light speckling, and very similar to the way bacon is packaged. The tin note has a pleasantly sweet plum-like smell that translates into the taste while smoking, and by no means cloying. This is not a typical aromatic by any means. The plum is way in the background, but there is a very nice underlying, subtle sweetness throughout the bowl. It always retains true tobacco flavor. The flakes were not at all wet, but very flexible to work with - like the consistency of a fresh Twizzler. It took a bit to get it lit and keep it going as it is very fresh straight out of the tin. These flakes are sturdy and well put together. The overall smoking experience was a mix of plum flavoring with a nice spicy presence that registers at the back of the throat and similar to Irish Flake. When fresh, it has a tendency to start off harsh, very much like IrFl does and more so than IrFl. This, for me, generally subdues after the tin is opened for several days. It was, however, a cool and bite-free smoking experience. Some may find this distracting from the true tobacco flavor, but it wasn't very strong and stayed in the background; quite pleasantly. This is Burley forward with the Virginia providing subtle background notes. You are left at the bowl's end with a coarse, medium gray ash. Drying this out some brings out the flavor even more. The presence of nicotine is definitely in evidence, but less so than with its brother, Irish Flake.

Being a college professor among other things, I was initially attracted to the name. If you like IrFl but want a little less in the strength department and a tad of flavor beyond pure tobacco taste, University Flake is superior in this regard. 4 stars.

UPDATE 12-14-14: As with Irish Flake, University Flake is no longer produced by K&H. Still a great tasting/smelling flake. What I do notice is whatever harshness I experienced with this is now non existent. Kudos to the new blender, whoever you are.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The more i smoke it, the more i begin to really like it. As usual, I'm smoking it right now, as i'm writing this short review.

tobacco appearance in the tin: very neat arranged flakes in a dark-brown color.

smell: fantastic...to me it smells like Swiss dark chocolate.

filling the bowl: these flakes are so moist! at least in my tin they were...almost the consistency of dough. Rubbing the flakes impossible, they wont crumble, so moist they are. So i put some flakes aside to dry them a little. The folding method doesnt work for me...so i just rip them apart or cut the flakes with scissors in moderate chunks and fill the pipe very loose since flakes are pressed and they will expand.

lighting up: it takes me twice as long as other tobaccos to get this baby going...because of the moisture. but once lit this tobacco burns cool, slow and stays lit fairly easy.

taste: nutty-sweet. at first i didnt believe it when i read the reviews that there is some blueberry-flavour in this tobacco. but i'm starting to taste this gentle berry-aroma, too. and what can i say:" i love it!"

strength: in the beginning (first few bowls very strong). Once u get used to this blend it's a fine smoke.

Sometimes i love this blend...sometimes i dont like it too much...because it can be a little harsh on my palate.

This is top-quality tobacco. Worth a try. Will i buy it again? probably not...it's just too inconsistent on my palate.

Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

First off, after reading the previous reviews and the tin description, I must say that I probably got a somewhat different tobacco; while KY and flavouring have been mentioned before, the tin I got was pure VA/Burley with possibly a touch of Perique, without any trace of flavouring or topping detectable.

It's delicious anyway. The tin contained small, edge-on slices of a golden-brown mottled plug, the tin aroma being of very sweet VA with enough spice in the aroma to make it interesting.

My first attempt was my usual flake smoking style, folding a slice into the bowl and lighting it. While it burned down to the bottom, I had to re-light frequently, the taste was not much, and the aroma never developed.

Thinking I might have made a mistake there -- this tobacco seems to have been pressed pretty well -- on my second attempt I rubbed out a slice and a half and put the result into a tall, relatively narrow bowl. For the next two hours, I was pretty close to heaven.

Right at first, the taste is a little earthy, with some VA grassiness in there. At about half-time, sweetness takes over with a full complement of peppery spice and a nicely fresh sour note that does not kill off the taste. There are traces of prunes or dried apricots in the taste; the aroma is probably not exacly a crowd-pleaser, but good enough, and during the last half of the bowl, this blend develops power. Wow.

Each time I smoke this blend rubbed out, I get a good nicotine kick towards the end that leaves me satisfied for quite a while, with a beautiful candy-like aftertaste on the tongue, and so far, nobody has really complained about the room note either.

The bad thing is, this stuff is strong and peculiar enough that I think I could not have appreciated it ten years ago. I believe it could turn a beginner off smoking (or at least off smoking VA flakes), and needs a good amount of experience to be truly appreciated. So, beginners beware. For me, this is a total beauty.

-- Update 09-10-26: After getting somewhat used to this blend, I find I can make out a fruit/berries topping. Doesn't change a thing though. Still top notch.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a very unique blend. I really like Peterson's blends, Irish Flake is one of my favorites. This blend upon opening the tin had a sweet, tart somewhat berry aroma to it and the flakes were a mahogany color with light and dark mixed in. They were somewhat sticky and damp and really need to be allowed to dry overnight to pack and light up. Even then it took several lights to get it going. The first part of the bowl had a sweet, mild, and berry like taste. It was not the normal aro Berry taste but was somewhat subtle, and was very nice actually. As the bowl progressed, the berry taste burned off and the burley came out to the forefront yet the sweetness of the VA in it was there. It grew quite a bit stronger as the bowl progressed and it even started to grow a little harsh. This one has to be sipped to enjoy. My tin did not have age on it and I believe that it would get better with age as I did taste a somewhat raw taste to it. It did not seem to kick with "N" but it did satisfy me. It burned down to a grey ash with little dottle in the bottom of the bowl. The room note was very pleasant, and so was the sidestream smoke.

I liked this blend and will smoke more in the future. i did not mind the short time I was rewarded with the berry taste, but I cannot put it in the same class as Irish Flake. When I smoke Irish Flake I am smoking bliss. I don't feel that about this one. I think flake smokers should try it as it is though, I can see where this would appeal to many. I am giving it three stars as it is a good blend, just not a must have for me.

ark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ark (9)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me first say that I'm totally enamored with this blend right now, so i may have to update this review.

Frankly, I love this stuff. The tin description is what pulled me in. To me burley+virginias=win, so i ordered a tin to try. I wasn't really impressed with my first bowl, but it was a rushed smoke on a lunch break. When I had the time to relax and smoke, this blend came to life. The berry flavor i heard about was only present in the first half of the bowl, afterwards, the grassy virgina sweetness blended nicely with the earthy burley. It's a tad strong for a newbie like myself, but it didn't knock me on my ass like Irish flake did. Fairly low maintenance, with only minimal tongue bite. I'd recommend this to anyone.

5 out of 5

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Lots of reviews and divergent views. Reminds me of Firedance with a little more punch. I was smoking it in a sm-med bowl. I like it better in a bigger bowl. The original tin was in a local cigar store. It had been there a long time I'm guessing from the layer of dust. This is not as refined, if that is the word, as Firedance, but I like it. Near the same amount of berry, but less tobacco sweetness. Anyway, some hefty tobacco flavors develop in a bigger bowl, and the nicotine rings my ears a little. I will get another tin. I like the way this burns, and I like its strength.

HumanBoeing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HumanBoeing (12)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Would I recommend this tobacco to a friend? Well, the answer's 'no'.

Irish Flake, I've smoked a good deal and enjoyed full well; University Flake seems to be - rather surprisingly for an academic - a rougher, unsophisticated, less refined character than its burly, sledge-hammer-wielding, big brother. The casing seems a cartoon-like imposition and I can't help but feel that it's there to distract attention from the slightly harsh qualities of the tobacco that's bearing it.

That being said, if I had to choose between this and the stock on the average supermarket shelf, I'd take this; it's a long way from being a pleasant smoke but it's not absolutely revolting. (In fact, that's why I'm smoking it: I did, in a pinch, have to make just that choice.)

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

My notes are from University Flake before it was made in Denmark. I'll consider trying the latter at another time, perhaps.

My tin was years aged and the contents nearly uniformly dark. I could barely detect any top note, but the floral scenting is in the vein of a Lakeland application.

There is a little sweetness from some Virginia leaf, but the body of flavor is burley of a humongous depth, earthy and something of a musty cigar. This was best rubbed out thoroughly. Truly a pensive smoke, with an aroma pleasing to others around me who offered their unsolicited comments.

Overall pleasant once past the first quarter bowl's harsh character. UF is fairly cool, but the scenting hangs on and therefore I cannot do so with University Flake. I can see why many would like this and why many might not.

However, this is not Irish Flake repackaged as I have read conjectured. The pronounced fired-cured burley and the nicotine "whomp" differentiate IF from UF.

Recommended to those who like hearty tobacco and Lakeland scenting.

Percy Dovetussel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Percy Dovetussel (7)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This University student discovered this flake a pleasant surprise. Previous experience with cuts of this variety were always muddled in a deep smell of overmoisturized plugs similar to many Mac Baron's mixtures. This tin was the exception to what I had believed was a rule. I agree with the other reviewers here that it is a good all rounder tobacco that can be incorporated as a part of your daily rotation.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

It used to be my recreation smoke, sitting back in my porch watching the birds and the planes. Now I prefer some other blends but I still like UF, due to it´s high tobacco quality. U might say I dislike the flavouring, okay but the mixture as a whole is perfectly composed to smoke it in a medium to large bowl. I am the fold/twist/stuff flake smoker, I only rub flakes if they are too wet for me, but UF isn´t that way. Everybody who smokes flake tobacco knows, it is hard work to get the tobacco going, but after some relights there is not much maintenance needed anymore. The aroma is there with the first sip, the nicotine approaches slightly, within the middle of the bowl there is full strength and power it loosens a bit towards the end because the taste of tobacco is the main element at last. The flavouring is simply gone - only the nicotine is still there. Recommended for large pipes 3/4 within a good amount of time, once lit properly it burns down slowly, not recommended to start smoking flake tobaccos.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

Plenty of good reviews on University Flake, I love the stuff & is now in my core rotation of blends/top 5. This will be the core of my next bout of TAD, I only have one tin & it is going fast.

Bad Good = Excellent * Exceptional

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a Burley/Kentucky flake, fortified with a dash of some sort of berry topping.

It is fairly strong, cool burning, with no bite whatsoever. I tend to take scissors to flakes and turn them into cube cuts.

This makes them quite easy to light and tend.

Truth be told, I did not care for the intrusion of the fruit flavor, and I prefer this blend's stable mate, Irish Flake.

The smokiness of fire cured Kentucky just doesn't meld well with fruit toppings in my opinion.

But this isn't bad. If you don't like Burley though, stay away...

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Here we have a strange tobacco blend. It's strange, I think mostly because of it's topping. This could be a great smoke for me. Like Cannon plug, I think the absurdly slathered top coat is both a charm and a drawback.

This the most "english flavored" of the Peterson tobaccos that I've had. It Does Not taste like Gawith tobacco. It is a distinct, if silly, thing of it's own. I really wanna like it. Maybe you will, it has it's merits.

One time in Tirol, at 23 o'clock, I stood in a blizzard and had an amazing smoke of Uni flake. Looking up into the street lights, watching the snow fall and the smoke rise, I thought, (seriously) can a smoke get better than this?

Apparently it can, or maybe not. I have yet to reproduce the sensation. I can tell you this. I was smoking the cheapest pipe I own, and I was far from my home and family in Styria. I was cold like a witches left nut. (can I say that?) The Burley content in Uni flake had me sated. I was amazed since all I could taste was the fine burley. The berries were there, but just. Since then I have had a few bad bowls of the stuff. I do believe it's changed a bit, or maybe me.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

This is my first flake and I can say that I still need to learn about smoking flakes. It's a blend that can punish you if you are not careful. I've been punished. I've tried to smoke it folded and it didn't worked very well. Next time I will try to rub it. It's a tobacco that demands respect. I don't think it has mine yet. But, overall, it is a good tobacco and for its price it's worth the money.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is based on a relatively small sample, around five bowls, smoked over an extended period.

There is a distinct berry aroma and flavor to this flake.

The construction and blending is very consistent in my sample.

I find this blend strong, I can't smoke it on an empty stomach without getting dizzy.

It seems to me that if you like the flavor, and can handle the nicotine, that you'd give it four stars.

For me, the flavor is good, and more entertaining than a straight burley flake would be, but the nicotine hit is a bit much. (Stronger than C&D Old Joe Krantz, at least for me, which means it's pretty strong!)

chrisg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chrisg (4)

This is a high quality flake and I enjoyed the first six or seven bowls. It has nice some VAs and a nutty burley toward the end that was a real treat.

But there was something I didn't like. I couldn't really put my finger on it -Then it hit me. Cigarettes. It tastes like 85% high quality VA and Burley and 15% Benson and Hedges Ultra Menthol 100s Lites.

I don't want to be too hard because I liked it more before I identified the mystery flavor. Once I keyed in on the cigarette taste, I really couldn't enjoy it.

Armchair Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armchair (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

For me, this is the best of Peterson's blends (the only one I still smoke). They've changed both the label and the tin size recently, and the blend seems to have suffered in the transition- p'raps I need to let it cellar a bit, my last (old label) bunch of tins had been cellaring for at least two years. The new tin description just lists "fine Virginia and Burley tobaccos"- deleting any mention of "Mahogany" or "Kentucy"- might that be an acknowledgement of blend change? Still and all, it's the only "slice" tobac that I really like. Works best for me just crumpled into a ball in a Peterson XL23 or an XL02.

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

A savoury, robust and strong Burley-esque flake, in my opinion. The casing does not divert us at all from the tobacco taste, although it does round off some of it. The smoke is dense and full of flavour, humid but not unpleasantly so. I cannot really put in the same class as a Virginia like Capstan, nor in the aromatic like the Amphora or Larsen's, or even less in the english-type mixtures. It is what it is.

I have to admit that I first bought this blend out of a whim, a frivolous assumption if you will. I am a professor and a pipe smoker, and because of this coincidence I thought: "Well, University Flake ? this one is for chaps like me?" Ah, such vanity.

It turns out that, obviously, this flake could have been christened with thousands of other names, and all might sound equally appropriate. There is no such thing as an "academic tobacco" ? neither in tradition, nor in inherent properties.

Yet I started to get fond of this blend. I enjoy it after lunch, when I go for a stroll in the campus. Somehow I conjure for myself this myth of a proper University tobacco. Thank God Peterson did put some great quality one underneath this label, otherwise these flights of fancy would be literally unsavory.

Scottish Steve Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottish Steve (14)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Addendum:- After trying some other tobaccos. I've downgraded this a little and now find the casing to be a bit intrusive and molasses-like. I still like it, though its no longer quite a perennial. In an effort to take it on its own merits, I've tried taking it fresh from the tin, goo-ey and sticky, rubbing it out and "forcing it", to get a good stoke going. Its is robust enough not to suffer unduly from such harsh treatment, and you can get great nictoine-satisfaction pretty quickly if you've been stressed at the office and just want to emphatically start your "me time". Certainly worth trying I think, but there's an overabundance of "mid/mudiness" in the mix. ______________________________________________________________

I'm still sussing out the differences between different blend styles and am not sure if this is a typical VA/Bur. Certainly Walnut Flake seems nothing like this so I suppose it must be the addition of the KY which pulls this into my part of the spectrum. It took me a while to understand what was going on with this, as I've just started smoking the pipe again after a break of 20 years, but the more I smoke it the more I like it. In a star briar, you really notice the fruity highlights and complexity of the taste, but there's enough meat to not be missing the point in a Falcon or similar. It develops well in the bowl and seems sometimes to differ from smoke to smoke as it burns down. There's no doubt this is another "honest" tobacco. I'm wary of commenting on the casing as my palate has a long way to go, but it seems very clean and masculine in aroma and taste. The room note is pungent, rather than pleasant to non-pipe-smokers, but if I leave the room and come back in with the smoke still lingering I really like it. You'd need to be pretty heavy-duty to not get enough nicotine from a 4-bowl of this stuff and the flavour is well thought-out. Strong enough to satisfy, with a pleasant and lingering afertaste, yet still smooth enough to have a strong puff if you've been stuck in the office all day. Sweet

troutmask Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
troutmask (5)

Another beautiful tin replaced by a bland design to protect the innocent! However the contents are still as fine. For my taste this is a little "sophisticated". Much gentler than the Irish Flake (one for intellectuals perhaps?). Goes very well with a good coffee and a read of the newspaper, but doesn't knock yor socks off! If you don't want your socks knocked off by a smoke then it is certainly worth a try.

gourmet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gourmet (13)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Well done Peterson, you have done a very good job with this slow burning flake. (I dry it out for a couple of hours upon opnening, roll it, break it in half and than twist it to a ball).

Though it has a slight blueberry aromatisation, which I love - it frankly reminds me a lot of good cuban cigar, the very smooth virginias are full-bodied and keep up the depth of a Montecristo.

Not an all day smoke, but very welcome every day after work or dinner for full and long relaxation.

Never give up the recipe !

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)
Very Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first tried this it was the original version in the brown label tin. It was the most nicotine-heavy tobacco I had ever had at that point in time. I found it a bit harsh to my throat, difficult to keep lit, and from just one flake the nicotine level actually gave me the cold sweats! The taste was of strong burley with a slight orange topnote. Having finished a second tin I purchased more which presented with the current blue label. While similar, I find this to have significantly less nicotine and it does not require as many relights. The topnote is the berry flavor others have mentioned. While I do miss the nicotine level I think I slightly prefer this over the original. It is a wonderful smoke in a corncob.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Very Strong Strong Full Tolerable

Er, no thanks.

A very strange combination of blueberry-ish essence and strong burley flake.

Beautiful presentation - Peterson is always immaculate. But I just don't like it. It is very strong, tastes kind of strange, and just doesn't work for me.

This is a late night blend - if you want something to put you to sleep (with a hammer), this is an easy smoke and I can see why people would choose it.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

** I recently revisited this flake, only it's the newer EU made University Flake rather than the Murray's I had smoked before. While I cannot say that the new flake provides an objectionable experience, it cannot compare to the original. The new tin I opened had a bit of the same tin aroma, but less tobaccoey to the nose. Smoking it brought about a sharpness to the tongue not experienced with the original Murray's, and it was nowhere near the nicotine bomb as the original. Additionally, the room note seemed a bit on the acrid side. Still a decent smoke, but a mere shadow of its former self.

This is a very pleasant tobacco, and I can understand why it has so many loyal fans. I found it to be rather moist and difficult right from the tin, and it required numerous relights while smoking. I am sure that airing it out would correct this.

While UF is a nice, rather somewhat tasty tobac, I don't think that I will buy another tin of it. It's good, but it doesn't do anything for me that anything else I'm already smoking doesn't. In other words, if I'm in a pinch and can't get hold of a can of Orlik Golden Slices then I would probably use UF as a substitute. Otherwise, I prefer the slightly sharper taste of the Orlik.

UF lacks the sharpness of other va. flakes, and the topping isn't quite enough to carry the day for me. I found that rubbing it out made it easier to keep lit, but then I lost a lot of flavor. Folding the flake and stuffing it in the bowl brought about the best flavor and aroma. But still, just not quite there for me yet.

For anyone whom something like Erinmore is waaay too aromatic for, but still wants something halfway up that alley, this would be a very good flake to try. I got zero tongue bite, and it finished down to the bottom of the bowl relatively well (as long as I kept it lit). UF has that ole' timey warmth to it. As I stated; were it not that I have already found something with a little more zest to it (and at a better price I might add), I would probably pick up some more of this.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

I prefer natural virginia flakes (without casing) but this one is funny ! Easy to kip lit, medium to full body, good strenght and pleasant room note

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Had I reviewed this one tin ago, I would have happily sung it's praises and given four stars, sadly, for some unknown reason, the last tin has been a little different, and I say sadly as I bought three tins together, so if I've got a bad batch, I have a problem !!!

My first several tins were excellent, rich and full, with the mahogany coming through nicely to give a different an pleasant experience to a pure Virginia lover. "The thinking mans tobacco" is the claim on the tin, and true to form, lighting this up in the evening, my mind would wander nicely, until this last tin, then two thirds the way through the bowl, I thought I'd swallowed a golf ball and / or a lump of lead, not what I was hoping for, and it wasn't just one or two of the flakes, it was the rest of the tin.

I will most likely soldier on, and crack open another tin and may well purchase another in the not too distant future for comparison, but for the moment only three stars as this is a good quality tobacco rich and full with much to offer even without the Latakia which I associate with "Rich and Full tobacco's" (and also burning lorry tyres come to think of it)

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Original 6/20/08 Second blend I have tried from Peterson, and it came in second. I found IF more to my liking. Both have a high nicotine punch, so be forwarned. This flake has a definite berry casing...not bad but it is there in the tin and burning in the bowl. This is a decent burley blend, but IMHO not on par with Solani Aged Burley, or Stonehaaven. I have a couple of tins, and will work my way through them. I may buy more.........time will tell. RATE

Update.........Time told...Bought more ...much more. Now a solid *

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (22)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Very Strong

Please read my ratings with the understanding that I primarily gravitate towards aromatics. This was simply to much for my family to bear so it is probably good it didn't become one of my favorites.

Django Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Django (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In my opinion, this is one of the best tobacco by Peterson ! It has a very nice aroma and a well balanced strength. I enjoy the little "Fir flavour" I was able to notice... Go on with this one if you like English tobaccos !

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Strong

as much as i'd love to like this blend, i find it almost intolerable. it is not bad tobaccos, but the berry/vanilla (and perhaps tonquin) flavouring is massive, and makes this seem like a water pipe tobacco. it IS slightly reminiscent of bracken flake, just hasn't got the clean virginia sweetness or depth of that tobacco.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

I have decided to re-write my review as I have smoked a fair amount of tins in quite a few pipes since my origional review.

This is a blend i cannot be without. It is one of my staple evening smokes and I absolutely LOVE this blend.

I am not a lover of Latakia and only smoke it about once every 2 weeks of late. The problem is that i rarely find a nice strong blend that is not harsh but yet does not contain Latakia. That is where this comes in to my rotaion.

I concede that there is in fact a topping. The topping is extremely faint and one hardly notices it while smoking. This blend contains both Burly and Virginia tobaccos but i simply cannot taste which one is used more, is it a Virginia or Burly flake???

Whatever it is, i love it to bits. To me it is a Medium to Strong smoke that is not harsh and does not bite. It is a wonderfull thing unto itself because there is nothing like it except the very potent Irish Flake by the same company.

The quality of the leaf and presentation is of the highest quality and I absolutely reccommend this to all who enjoy a fuller smoke that does not stink up the garage.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very Pleasant. Has a tiny hint of wild berries,or blueberries. I taste a small hint of burley but with a heavy oak finish of Virginia. Very rough on the tongue at first but cools off very quickly. 4/4 stars

firstsealord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firstsealord (22)

Update 04/04/2008

I must have been drinking too much Navy rum...or have I? To my uttermost surprise, I cracked opened a new tin, and this tobacco is completely different from the previous!!!!!!

As where the previous tin ( for my original review) was consisting of very dark brown flakes, with a very strong berry aroma, presented in three rows, this current vintage consists of light to medium brown leaves, with some random dark brown leaves, and the flakes are on a vertical axis ( like this) rather than horizontal on the previous (_ _ _).

As where the previous vintage had a very strong start on the casing department, this one offers a mellower aroma, both to the nose and palate, and does not incline one to think that it is an aromatic flake, but a rather lightly topped flake.

The smoking, thus, is definitely more agreeable, while still robust,dominated by a nice pure tobacco taste with a background of semi-sweet berry taste. And it does not leave the annoying aftertaste I encountered with the previous tin.

I would believe that maybe the previous vintage was some mistake; this tin is closer to the original University flake I smoked during the 90's, and thus a most excellent and extremely enjoyable flake, that I must recommend strongly! I just hope that the others that I purchased are like this one...

Original review 03/18/2008

Despite being an aromatic, this leaf is quite strong to the palate and the nicotine content is more than satisfying.

Narrow, dark flakes introduce themselves to the eye while a distinctive berry aroma invades the nostrils. The false impresion of a maybe - on -the- light -taste -side -blend is quickly undone upon lighting up. The berry casing flavor is very strong during the first couple minutes, then settles down to let a purer tobacco taste blossom progressively. The flavoring taste will accompany throughout the smoke, and the nicotine hits you like a ton of brick right from the start.

Definitively the tobacco to smoke to perk me up when deprived of sleep for a lenghty time at sea.

The downside is the annoying, tenacious, rather bad aftertaste the leaf leaves sometimes in my mouth, that even the strongest of scotch will not dissolve away.

stieltje Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stieltje (14)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

I read what firstsealord said about this thing, and I concur.

The aftertaste made me feel sick for two days after smoking this.... abomination :(

The tin aroma was lovely, and the flakes looked so delicious, the higher you climb, the harder you fall. Complete disapointment.

I have smoked Peterson Deluxe with much pleasure. If you are to choose, go for the Deluxe version.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)

I have been smoking this tobacco off and on for a year, liking it best dried out and lightly broken in the pipe. I find a subtly sweetness and good basic tobacco taste. It burns clean and cool. All around good smoke in a nicely seasoned brier. I just wish it was available in bulk.

Quoll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quoll (17)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I usually prefer straight Virginias so I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I do.

Typical Peterson flakes in a small tin, with a neat and machine-cut look to them. The tin aroma is pretty strong. I struggled to pin it down, and wrote figs, berries, molasses in my tasting notes. After I'd finished a bowl and gone to the kitchen my son nailed it - "Who's been eating jam doughnuts?".

Now I do not usually go for heavy casing. I am not sure if this is cased or if the flavours are natural, but there is enough pure tobacco flavour and strength going on for the mix to just work. I get Virginia high tones, Burley volume and enough 'spark' from the Kentucky to bring it all together. The smoking characteristics suit me well. It stays well flavoured throughout, with the tobacco completely taking over after a third of a bowl. The strength and volume give a very satisfying experience with no bite at all. This is one of the few tobaccos I find just right - I can have a short smoke and enjoy it, or a long contemplative sipping session and hit smoker's nirvana.

Yup, I like it. 4 stars.

Katxinba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katxinba (6)
Medium Mild Medium Unnoticeable

I had high expectations on this tobacco ( nice presentation, nicely cut and packed, nice tangerine peel/fruity mild smell). Smoking it ( packed in flake or rubbed) have fail to enthusiasmed my senses. It is O.K., just O.K. . I am finishing the 50gr. of tobacco and can appreciate it a bit more, but there are better tobaccos out there that I want to invest my smoking time on. Unremarkable smoke.

rincewind8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rincewind8 (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin aroma is beautiful and mostly reflected in room note, reminds of blueberry/raspberry preserve. Flakes are very handsome, not-so-easy to break which indicates fair lever of moisture - I like it. This is second peterson I'm trying after Gold Blend. It's quite heavily cased and leaves mouth coated - better than Gold Blend though. If only Peterson didn't put so much flavouring in their tobacco this one easily would find place in my everyday rotation. I suppose that if I was fan of aromatic I would give UFlake at least three stars but I really find that coating effect offensive to my mouth lining tissues.

Fredbert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fredbert (2)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is simply outstanding! I like to smoke this right before going to bed. It is very relaxing and about puts me to sleep. The last 1/3 of the bowl gets very sweet. I only have 3 flakes left in the tin and I'm starting to panic...time to order more!

SlowToke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SlowToke (5)
Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

The tin aroma was deceiving on this one. There is a distinct smell of blueberry casing although I didn't taste any fruit or sweetness in this tobacco. The flakes are very handsome in the tin. I folded and smoked in a deep narrow bowl. The tobacco lit well and burned well to a fine white ash. The taste, however, for me, was that of crushed pepper. The spicyness was overwhleming and burned by throat and nostrils with each puff. I stuck with it through an entire bowl and wished I hadn't. I'm not sure if this one just doesn't agree with my chemistry or what but I didn't find anything pleasant about the experience other than handling the nice flakes. I may give this one another go after the nightmares end but until then I just can't recommend it.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a very nice flake and although I can't smoke it daily, once or twice a week is very nice. I agree with most of the previous reviewers regarding UF's strength and pleasant room note. I find that this one is much better rubbed out, thus bringing out it's distinct flavor which is otherwise muted by the burley content. It is a surprisingly low maintenance smoke that behaves well as long as you pay proper attention and don't puff mindlessly. Recommended

Dario Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dario (2)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I enjoy this tobacco regularly and there is nothing new I can write about it that has not already been said. But I do have a remark and I seek advice in that matter: As I get past half of the bowl, the tobacco starts developing a bitter taste at the back of my throat, surrounding the back end of my tongue. Is there any way to counter this ill effect? Currently I just wash the taste down with some strong tea, but I hope that there is a better way to get rid of this. One more thing I should mention, I do not rub the tobacco, I rather just take one sheet, fold it and stuff it in the bowl as it is.

Update:

I discovered that rubbing it prior to packing takes care of the bitter taste and now I enjoy this tobacco regularly as an all day smoke as it is very pleasant and not too demanding to me and it does not seem to annoy my companions.

Helpanto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Helpanto (2)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I've only tried the new version of this tobacco — that one in square tins. A blue square tin seems a very nice package and inside the tin are accurate flakes. They seem somewhat little in size are of dark brown color with brighter stripes. There is some tin aroma and, probably, this tobacco is a flavored one: some berries are in that smell.

I'm usually cutting the flakes prior to smoking, but as long as I did so, I didn't notice the serious strength of this tobacco. But when I tried to smoke this flake unrubbed, I was overhelmed by it. So, the UF may be strong, and may be just about medium — it's the question of the way, you like it.

Frankly, I didn't like the unrubbed way: there was too much strength, but too little taste. So, the other impressions are about the smoking of cut flake.

Well, there is some fruit flavor on it, but it's a good flavoring: it does not overhelm the tobacco itself, but prevents it from being dull or unpleasant to non-smokers around. I don't like aromatics, but I'm really not sure, if I'd like an unscented version of UF.

Main taste from the flake is what I identify as Burley. Solid bodied, even being somewhat close to dull. In fact, the taste is solid (although, its' taste may be described as «low», lacking some «high» tones), it seems to be very tolerable to factors, that might stop the pipe smoker, being, sort of, very honest and straight.

In medium to big bowls it appears to be dull and uninteresting, better prepare a little bowled pipe for this tobacco. And don't let the tobacco to become too dry: this way, it loses most of its' taste.

The UF may be not the tobacco for a good evening in sweet home, but it's definitely the tobacco for a hitch-hiker to smoke in a Freightlaner somewhere deep in the roads. It doesn't reject you in the case of bad weather, it forgives a little rest for your pipe, other tobacco smell from it, etc. Just straightforward and honest Burley flake.

To the people around, this tobacco appears to be rather pleasant, mainly due to frutty flavoring and «shy» Burley flavors.

Recommendation? Yes, recommended. Although, I smoke no similar tobaccos (prefering VA and English mixtures), I like UF. It's a nice change in my tobacco menu.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

If University Flake is so called to inspire intellectual production and creativity, I would give it a pass mark without a doubt.

I agree with Guyrox about the nicotine kick being "studying -friendly" and the room aroma being "society-friendly"; I have a tendancy to select University flake when I must do some intensive reading or writing...

The tin presentation consists of a golden foil with an oval paper medallion ( which keeps the foil sealed) representing the venerable Mr Peterson's. Once the foil is opened, one can see three rows of thin flakes ( a little less than 1" wide each)which are mostly dark brown, with a small presence of golden and black shades.

The aroma is definitely, yes, similar to berries or blueberries.

All depending on my mood, I will partly rub out the flake or fully rub it. For assessment purposes, I partly rubbed out the flake in order to get a bolder taste.

The lighting is easy and what hits the senses is the strength of the tobacco, as well as its taste. If I was any tired before testing this flake, I was wide awake 15 min later! Past mid-bowl, the casing is still present, but less in taste than in room aroma, and the Burleys become dominant in flavour. The ending leaves a nice gray ash and the bowl is dry- if smoked properly.

The berrie casing combined with the Burley leaf is an odd one, different, that requires some adaptation. For the sake of getting my money's worth, I decided to smoke another 4 or 5 pipefuls before giving up. The casing and strength both calm down with time, and it becomes a merrier companion.

This tobacco is not for everyone, I suspect, because of the uniqueness in the taste of casing/tobacco. And the combination has a tendency to remain in someone's mouth for quite a few hours upon completion of the experience.

Selah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Selah (8)
Medium Strong Medium Tolerable

This is a truly lovely tobacco compound, spoiled by that raspberry truffle pong.

It would be a great smoke if they had left it clean.

If they had to perfume it, far better tonquin oil or Lakeland funk. In any case, though the added aroma is disturbing, it does not seem sweetened.

Other than that, well worth the occasional smoke, and pleasingly full in smaller bores. Smoke this outside.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Update Oct 2007

Funny how we evolve with time and age...Last week-end, I saw a tin of the University flake with the new label and went " What the heck.." This has nothing to do with the last time I bought it...The flakes are thinner in thickkness and way darker that when I bought it last time, at the end of the 1990s.

I know why Peterson calls it University flake; the dark, beautiful thin flakes do smell of something similar to berries. The thing is, the casing will be detectable for the first couple minutes and get replaced by a pure VA/Burley taste afterward.

The room note is society- friendly -The wife loves it! and the nicotine kick is studying - friendly! I can imagine myself, still bend over my numerous books, late at night, after an intense day of studying, getting my essay ready for the next day, but getting tired. Instead of a can of red Bull, I'd load a pipeful of University Flake, light up and bang! Create a little masterpiece of redaction!

Recommended!

July 2007

A gorgeous, thick flake with an incredible casing that I cannot clearly identify, but I don't think it's berries or fruity...

Nice shades of bronze, brown and dark brown.

Rubbed the flake, filled the pipe, lit it up, started smoking...Darn! the taste buds attack, because it's over cased!

Sigh, swear, empty the pipe. I wanted to like it...

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

This tobacco is a bit mild in flavor and a bit strong in the nicotine department for an all day every day smoke. I love the tin note, mild fruit and rich tobacco. The bowl packs with great ease and stays lit all the way down to the bottom. As for taste the tobacco is a bit mild for my liking. There is some buttery smooth flavor from the burley, but that is about all that stands out. Tee VA tobacco is a bit bland, no sweetness or other outstanding characteristics. And this one packs a punch, not the kinda thing I like in a mild tasting tobacco. I would like to say it is a good blend, but I think it is out of balance.

BriarFire~ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarFire~ (24)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Ahh... U-flake,what a tasty flake indeed.When opening the tin theres a subtle yet mouth watering hint of cranberry or raspberry,the only evidence of a possible topping.

The flakes are beautiful and a perfect thickness.After drying for a short while I fold the flakes lenghtwise then tear into pieces small enough to fit into the bowl,one match is usually all it takes to finish the smoke,it burns cool and dry with no tongue bite and the genuine tobacco flavor remains consistent to the end leading me to really wonder if this scented or not.

Theres a wonderful tang of Virginia sweetness,and a lovely buttery Burley flavor that goes good with a strong cup of coffee first thing in the morning,and just as well with a hot cup of chamomile tea late in the evening.

I havnt really noticed much nicotine in this blend but I suspect a daily intake of Irish flake probably has something to do with that,anyway scented or not U-flake is a quality flake,expertly blended and highly recommended.

Light Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Light (3)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Plenty of reviews and to be honest most of it has been said. I found it a very nice tobacco, uncomplicated and honest. The presentation of the tin is nice and on opening there?s a hint of berries for sure. I can?t seem to find it once I?m smoking it though.

The tobacco rubs out easy and packing is no problem. Moisture level is just fine as far as I?m concerned, just left it out for a couple of minutes before packing my pipe. Initial light up is easy and few relights are required.

From beginning to end this is a burley cannon? I liked it. Sweet virgina at the beginning fading away to the end. The taste, I find, varies only slightly but becomes fuller to the end. All the way through the smoke, I?d describe it as nutty, sweet and buttery becoming a bit spicy at the end.

A cool and dry smoke, giving no tongue bite but beware of the nicotine hammer! There?s a pleasant aftertaste. I find it a tad on the heavy side so I prefer it after dinner or in the evening. I assume a 9 mm filter could take the edge of too. The room note was pleasant and did not disturb anybody nor did it make any heads turn? it?s a very simple and discreet tobacco?all for YOU.

Not a top favorite, I?ll be buying this one when I run out and smoke it occasionally.

Reviewing tobacco became a lot easier with the help of this form: http://www.theitalianpipe.com/alldoc/tob_test_form.pdf

Ajr37 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ajr37 (6)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

My absolute favourite (yes I'm biased) and smoked solely in my Favourite pipe!! As other reviewers have noted, it is heavy on the nocotine but I think that that is part of the charm. The burley really comes through, it's rich and almost fruity on lighting and becomes very full flavoured at the end of the smoke. This is a real quality tobacco, beautifully presented and well worth adding to your rotation.

I have also been able to identify the casing. The other day my mother (God bless her!) opened a jar of homemade raspberry jam!! That's it, that's the smell that I sort of knew what it was but couldn't put my finger on it!! One of lifes mysteries solved............ now for the next challenge

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (20)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening a tin of this tobacco, one is greeted by a heavenly summer berry scent, warm & sweet. The neat, highly pressed flakes have a delightful mottled appearance, from dark brown to pale beige. Upon rubbing out, the tobacco feels somewhat damp & hard to rub out, but with a bit of effort, actually comes apart fine. The damp sensation of the tobacco doesn't seem to affect it's burning ability, & it smoulders steadily to a fine salt & pepper ash with little dottle. The casing does come through, but doesn't overpower the fine (very, very fine) quality tobacco, which has a sweetness which complements the mild topping very nicely. This blend was used to break in my Peterson full bent billiard, & cannot be recommended too highly. Has a nicotine kick like a virginia mule so it must be respected but smoked slowly it is divinely satisfying & rewarding. One of the finest smokes I've ever had. Happy smoking!

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable to Strong

EDITED: A top dark flake, medium to strong, behaves real well in the pipe. Peterson make some good modern Aro's and old school TRADITIONAL flakes (Irish Flake) but Uni.F is a bit of both, it is a solid flake. My only wish is that all those berry cased blends tasted this good, frankly the only one I know that comes even close is McConnell's Red Virginia.

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)
Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I bought this with high hopes....images of professors and musty books and all that... The reality that I discovered is that this tobacco's good. Not real good, not great, but it's good. The taste is there and ample, but not nearly as complex or robust as I prefer. I'm more of a VAPER guy, and I think that the burley might be putting me off here. The nicotine kick wasn't as notable as some other smokes. Also, it smoked a bit hot for my liking. All in all, the entire experience was less than perfect. Just "good." So, while I intend to leave this in the rotation for the time being, I doubt I'll be tearing up the streets looking for another tin.

Update August 2007: I really, really want to like this. I really do. When you open the tin, the smell just fills you with a sense of wonderful anticipation!! The flake cut looks perfect and smells great. The ritual of loading up a bowl and lighting is almost enough to drive you insane with this stuff. However, once I touch flame to tabac, the show's over. Like I said before, this stuff is just okay. The taste is thin and washed out, sort of like "diet tabacco" if there is such a thing. With aging, it's improved a tad, but not nearly enough to justify another tin. I hope you like it better than I did. 2.3 stars (maybe)

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow. What a wide variety of reactions to this blend we have here.

Put me in the camp in that loves this stuff.

UF is an unusual blend with a wonderful berry topping (tastes like blueberry to me). The topping is definately there but doesn't overwhelm the tobacco taste. The combination of Mahogany, Burley & Kentucky is quite distinctive. This one burns cool and slow and delivers a nice nicotine kick.

If you like flavored tobacco with a punch, you owe it to yourself to try UF. You might just love it.

Overwhelming Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After opening the tin I was struck by the beautiful dark leaf that lay therein. Nice dark flakes, very tightly formed, a few streaks of lighter brown. Very attractive.

Tin smell was very nice..I did detect some berry-like aroma. Also smelled nicely of sweet VA and the burley.

This rubbed out well and packed just as nicely. Two charring lights were needed and then this stuff was smoldering very very well. I couldnt help but laugh with the reviewer who spoke of the incredible volume of smoke and having to wave his hand in front of himself, a "massive plume"...I had to do the exact same thing.

I didnt really get any tongue bite at all, but it did leave a slight burning sensation in my mouth and throat...and left me slightly nauseated..but I knew I was smoking a stout flake...again it was only mildly upseting, and lasted but a short time. I think this does indeed have a very strong nicotine content; I think that the other sensations might be coming from the ammonia released from this lesser fermented weed.

After buzzing along on the nicotine and getting to the last third of the bowl, it was very full flavored and very nice...very cool smoke too. It was a one dimensional type of flavor, but this was not a turn off at all. I enjoyed how the flavor was the same but simply gained strength. I will keep this on hand at all times and would recommend it to those who like strong VA/Burley mixes.....nice smoke!

Update 06/09: I have had a love/hate relationship with this tobacco for quite some time and I think the last time we got together will be the final time..I've hired a lawyer and am petitioning for a restraining order...this stuff makes me nauseated and I'm just not gonna take it anymore! Despite all the good qualities...if you can't smoke it, its not worth a damn! From 4 stars down to 1...would be none if I could rate it so...and thats more from disappointment than anything else.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (26)
Very Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my second or third flake. From the first bowlfull, I noticed a big nicotine kick. Now, I don't smoke cigarettes, and my usualy blends aren't big on nicotine, so this may not be an issue for others, but sometimes when I smoke this, I get knocked flat by the nicotine.

I love the flavor, and if this is at all representative of what burley can do to a blend, I'll be looking for more of them. Smoked this out of a small bent billiand and a tallish Canadian with a tapered bowl, both dedicated to flakes. I've experimented with rubbing out to varying degress, but found the best way to smoke this is to fold the slice in third, roll up a bit, and insert directly into the pipe. If there are any little bits leftover, put them on top to facilitate an easy light.

I like this stuff and think I'll keep it around, if only for a once-in-a-while smoke. My daily fare is Balkans, but this is a great Saturday night smoke. Recommended.

Update: I did just that last night - a Saturday night change up - and it was just boring. Too much nicotine, not near enough flavor. No longer recommended.

vartman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vartman (3)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

University Flake is probably my "desert island" blend. It smells wonderful, it looks wonderful, it tastes wonderful. It's not the most complex smoke in the world... but then again, it's not like smoking a pipe full of Prince Albert or something, either.

Never noticed much bite from University Flake, either, and I spent a lot of time sitting under a tree back behind the building I used to work at, out in the wind smoking it in a cob, so take that as you will.

I've only ever smoked fairly new tins -- a few months old at most. Those tins were great. I've got an unopened tin sitting here, however, that's almost 3 1/2 years old. Once I finally bring myself to open it (and who knows when that will be!), I'll update this and compare it with the younger tins.

Then there's the matter of the "casing". It certainly tastes/smells a bit like raspberry, or something, but it might just be the tobacco itself. If it DOES have a casing, it's defnintely not of the heavy, goopy variety. If you're thinking of something along the lines of Captain Black or whatever... it's not really like that at all. If there is a casing, it's done subtly and tastefully.

Lasty, beware that, as others have pointed out, University Flake does have quite the nicotine kick. So if that's not your thing, you might steer clear.

Still, I recommend that everyone try this one at least once.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

=Update. Gradually, over much time, this has become one of the top two or three tobaccos in my rotation. It is honest, unfussy, easy and satisfying, without any bite at all. =

This is a like it/hate it , relatively high nicotine smoke with a slight yet persistent fruity topping (a little more kick than Elizabethan blend I'd say). It is not complex enough, or distinguised in character, to qualify for "love it", but, as has been noted, can be a great autopilot smoke. In the wrong hands, I can see where this would come off as an Irish Brawl of a tobacco. But I've smoked about 6 tins of it over the past 4 months.

I initially wanted to describe this as Cherry Blend for Real Men, but that would be doing it a disservice.

The smoke is very cool, non biting and, if taken slowly, not bitter. (Relights can be a drag, no doubt. Lifting the tobacco, like areating a yard, helps, being careful not to tamp too hard).

Reccomended to anyone who likes full bodied (in strength) yet mildly flavored semi-aromatics. The burley used has no nutty flavor but also no bite and relatively little bitterness. Sweetness is muted but present and provided by the Virginias.

The room note is very nice, which is unusual for a tobacco with a bit of punch.

Use a small bowl to start.

Briarfire007 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarfire007 (10)
Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

University flake seems to me a pretty plain smoke. The flavor is very natural tobacco tasting. I have only smoked it a couple of times. I do not detect the chocolate and berry flavors that others have described, but again, I've only had a chance to smoke it a few times so far.

I very much liked the presentation in the tin. Neat rectangular flakes stacked side by side. UF rubs out better than most flakes and packed really nicely. Lighting was no problem, and very few relights were needed. Burned to a nice ash.

This blend, like most, needs to be gently and slowly puffed. Smoking too fast didn't really make it hot, but it does make for an unpleasant and bitter smoke. When puffed slowly, the experience is a decent and natural smoke.

University flake has a strong nicotine punch. It doesn't make me sick, but I definitely feel a kick. I'm not in love with this stuff, but I think I'll hold on to my tin and let it age for a while. I'll try it again in about 6 months and see what happens.

Somewhat recommended. I have little experience with burley blends. Surely there is more to burley than this.

Red Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Red (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I have bought several tins of UF. Some people have stated that it has a strong nic-kick, I did not notice that what so ever! It is by far the best of the Peterson selections that I have had. The aroma upon opening the tin is quit strong with notes of berrys to it. UF is quite moist right out of the tin and needs some time to dry out. It is to say the lesast fine VA tobacco, I did not notice the Burly that much, but it does peak out a little. It burns down to a fine white ash with little dottle. If you like Va. you'll like this. I will buy more of this to have on hand

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)

Much too dry a tobacco. When you get a flake which you have to rub out yourself, you want something that sticks together and has its own cohesion. Not the case in two different tins of this stuff, for me. I took it on, under the recommendation of a fine tobacconist in Memphis, because he claimed it was his "mainstay" for all-day light tobacco smoking. Well, it turned out to be more like smoking paper than tobacco, for me at least. I can see why he'd smoke it all day. I do recognize a rather "refined" situation in this tobacco, in that the leaves are carefully selected and matured, and that there isn't any of that crud that they put in cigarettes like seeds, grapes, arabian camel hair, or sticks and stones that break my bones. But aside from the care that they've put into making sure nothing went wrong, I can't see that anything went RIGHT. It's just ... umm ... tobacco in a tin. Boring.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

University Flake.23/02/07. I'm updating this after recently trying U Flake again. The first time around with this mixture I just didn't get it! Now I do! And I really do appreciate the flavours I have now discovered.(Maybe my taste buds have matured more) I now find it to be "totally honest" No hidden secrets with this one. It offers a great down to earth smoke with total honesty all the way through to the bottom of the bowl. It's also great with a Fosters beer or a glass of Guiness stout. It's a great condemplation smoke which can last for ages and you'll find a nice clean grey white ash at bowls end. Give it a go and don't rush it.

Kegworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kegworth (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

I smoked a bowl of Gawith's Full Virginia Flake earlier today, (I consider this a classic) then after dinner came upon an old tin of U Flake that was hiding in my pipe cabinet-- very dry in the tin. I thought I'd give it a go with a glass of red. It took one light and a tamp and I've been enjoying since I fired it up. Smoking it in a Ser Jacapo Picta 11, I am quite content. Puffing gently, this is a very satisfying and tasty smoke. I found the flavor remains throughout. Nice through the nose. Robust for what I consider to be a burley aromatic. I think the dry flakes were just fine for a bowl that delivered a good smoke. I wouldn't call this an everyday smoke, but a nice treat now and then. I would consider this the best Peterson has to offer.

Magus Noctem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magus Noctem (6)
Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Admittedly, I wanted to love this tobacco. Its dark brown flakes, mottled with lighter flecks of brown, were as inviting to the eye as the light berry essence was to the nose. Upon the recommendation of other pipe smokers, I sampled University Flake in small bowls, only. Most often, I packed a single flake, moderately rubbed out, into a little pug and lit up.

The first third of the bowl was promising, with just the smallest hint of the berry aroma being tasted. Soon after, the flavor transformed into full tobacco, dominated by the heady burley. The virginia component was detectable, but only marginally so. Like ushers at a wedding, they served their purpose, but didn't dominate the affair.

The second third of the bowl was not as enjoyable. The virginias made their exit and the burley began to dominate unchallenged. While I truly enjoy burley, the flavor was one-dimensional and uninteresting, even bitter, lacking the nutty, creamy quality that I usually look for in that tobacco.

The last third of the bowl proved the least enjoyable for me, with the bitterness of the second third of the bowl building markedly, but not enough to warrant quitting the bowl. The tobacco burned to a small dottle of gray ash, with only minor moisture in the bowl.

University Flake burned hot each time I smoked it, but that is because, admittedly, I tend to puff too quickly. Even so, other burley-dominated blends do not heat up for me quite as badly as this blend. The bitterness detracted from the initial enjoyable flavor somewhat, but it was not overpowering. However, I found the nicotine content to be potent, such that I was only able to enjoy one bowl at a time. Two bowls had me down for the count. But I confess that I am a lightweight in the nicotine department. Although I can smoke multiple bowls of other tobaccos with less nicotine content, that just wasn't the case with U.F.

I always finished my samplings with the determination to see if the blend would yield a different, more enjoyable smoking experience, but this just never happened for me. I'm a consistent smoker; I pack the same, light the same; puff the same, repeat. Likewise, this tobacco consistently disappointed me. Perhaps this was only because of my high expectation for the blend. Instead of being as objective as possible, I wanted to like it. But the experience just never met expectation, so I will likely not buy another tin of University Flake. This puzzles me, as I thoroughly enjoy virginia and burley, but just not in this incarnation.

/==

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is only an occasional smoke for me, I don't consider myself a burleymeister. The tin aroma is of natural tobacco with a slight touch of berry essence. I've smoked this in both large bowls by folding the flakes and in smaller bowls after rubbing it out in my palm.

The flavoring seems to last through the bowl but the dominate taste is of natural tabacco (mostly burley). Somewhat bitter and slightly nutty this is a quality blend, just not what my taste buds seem to be looking for. 5 out of 10 stars.

Joey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joey (9)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I am a relatively new pipe smoker, having only started smoking about 6 months ago. I always wanted to smoke a pipe and after finding out that one of my best long time friends, Rafe, enjoys this simple pleasure, I decided I would give it a try.

Upon getting my first pipe and a few "bulk" brands I was in a local store one day and decided to try a tin of U Flake as I like to call it. What I discovered was a wonderful smoke that shall always be enjoyed by me.

I find U Flake to be quite strong. I enjoy it a couple of times a week as I find the need to wind down and relax and have now worked my way thru several tins. It is quite strong and potent. I noticed that the flavor changes as the bowl progresses. At first to me it is rather sweet with the Virginia being the most prominate. As I get to the bottom of the bowl not only does the strength increase but the "nuttyness" of the burly come out.

Recently, upon returning from a 10 week road trip where I smoked U Flake in many different settings from campfires to pubs I had the chance to share a tin of 15 year aged U Flake with my friend Rafe. All I can say about that is heavenly...it does get better with time. So, I shall be ordering a large supply of this favorite soon and putting some of it away to age.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

UF has the most reviews currently of any Peterson offering, and as such I will not wax eloquent in providing yet another. UF is a good quality burley tobacco with an aromatic berry essence. The 'fruit' soon burns off and I find this flake responds well to both a large pipe and generous resting after the charring light. Not overly complex but reassuring in the way a quality burley blend (sadly there are so few left) such as this should be. For myself, UF provides an alternative to the American style burlies that are so prolificly reviewed herein.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)

I just don't know how to describe this tobacco. Did I smoke the same tobacco? Previous views seem to rate highly, and loaded with nicotine.

I really did not get the nicotine rush. The flavor was a nondescript non-aromatic, although obviously high quality tobacco. I did not notice any tongue bite, bitterness, or other negative smoking qualities. But, I cannot decribe anything positive about the taste.

At $ 11.00 for a 50g tin, this tobacco doesn't seem worth the cost. I think Carter Hall is more adventurous and bold. Will update if subsequent pipes (from the same tin) change dramatically. Otherwise, I will probably never buy this again.

bigbowls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigbowls (12)

This is what I'm talking about. This is good stuff. Sweet upon lighting up, burns good and satifies. Just a good old tobacco tasting smoke.

I like it and will buy more.

bobspipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobspipe (13)
Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this out of curosity and fairly good reviews here. The flake here seem more like a crumble cake which I like. The taste has that sweet / sour mix that others have noted, and smokes cool. I probably haven't smoked it enough to discern all the complexity that others have talked about, but am inspired to look for them. What has consistently struck me is the potency -- pretty strong stuff -- not enough to make me queesy, but enough to grog me out a bit. I find I need to try this after dinner or before going to bed.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

This blend provides a long burning, semi-sweet smoking experience that keeps developing in focus and character like none other. I can detect no topping and consequently believe that the skilled blending of Virginia is reason for it's blackberry essence. The interwoven tapestry of full bodied nutty Mahogany & Kentucky Burlies provide counter point for the drifting interplay with rich Virginia. A dynamic shift of focus occurs center stage not unlike the gestalts of Escher, only in Epicurean media instead of visual. This blend is not for the timid, as it packs a significant nicotine load and burns longer than most other blends. The result is oceanic composition for taste both gross and sublime. Highly recommended, it is best smoked slowly indoors so as not to miss some of it's more vaporish qualities.

Meerschaum Man Smoking an Altinok Smooth Cherrywood Style Poker

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

University Flake is what it is, a flake blend in the Irish tradition. Good flavor, cool and clean burning. Definitely a quality blend, though some may not like it it they are used to Va or Va/Per blends. I'm not trying to put anyone down, but some reviews are from aromatic lovers, and I don't understand how an aromatic lover would recognize true tobacco flavor. That makes as much sense as a review of an aromatic blend by one who hates aromatics. This is a good blend, and all pipesters should explore it as an occasional smoke , if for no other reason.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)

(05/29/05)

What a misunderstood tobacco University Flake is!

This is a great Burley flake that I wouldn't catagorize as an aromatic by any means. Though the tin aroma is, to me, reminiscent blueberries, the flavor is all tobacco.

It's everything that Burley lovers look for; buttery, nutty, cool-burning and a little bitter. There is the occasional Virginia tang weaving throughout the bowl, but the main player here far and away are the Mahogany and Kentucky Burlies.

This one is also a very slow-burning blend with a nicotine kick. I fold up a flake or two and set fire. Even in a small bowl, you're looking at a smoke that lasts at least an hour with few re-lights.

If you're looking for a Virginia flake, go elsewhere. If you're looking for a replacement for Edgeworth Sliced, you may have found it here. (Lovers of Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky will also feel right at home.)

Recommended for the Burley smoker.

(10/06/06)

I'm updating owing to the fact that Orlik is now blending this fine flake. To my taste, Orlik has held true to the old formula. University Flake is still like nothing else (save some similarities to the new Irish Flake by the same blender). The only thing that has changed is the tin art (alas!). Still highly recommended.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)
Very Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The people who gave this a bad review... they must have had a bad tin, I just don't know. Goes to show that the ratings average shown on tobaccoreviews.com can't really show how good a tobacco really is to you personally.

Picked this up randomly before a camping trip. The first bowl was pretty much mediocre. OK, it's fine, I said to myself, nothing special. Then I packed another and was overwhelmed with goodness. Over the course of the night I smoked almost half the tin - and I'm the type of smoker that rarely if ever smokes the same tobacco twice in a row. If the next tin is as good as this one it'll keep a solid place in my rotation.

Not for the weak of hear though. This has a pretty solid nicotine kick which doesn't bother me but might bother some. There was no bite no matter how much I puffed.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I thought that University Flake was ok, althought not one of my favorites. Room note was kind of so-so, more like the smell of a very mile cigar afterwards. Burn was fine, lighting pretty easily, and burned a little hot if I wasn't careful; it would bite a wee bit. Burned all the way to the bottom of the bowl, leaving a nice fluffy ash, and smoked dry. I never did really pick up on a lot of complexity and the "fruitiness" that others have. But it was a good smoke, and although I wouldn't go out of my way to find it, I wouldn't hesitate too much to get it again if I saw it.

Diogenes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Diogenes (12)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

=original review - Dec 2003= What can I say other than UF is one hell of a tasty tobacco. It took me awhile to figure it out but I learned to smoke this tobacco slowly in a pipe with a small bowl. Only then was I rewarded with one of the richest most flavorful smokes I've yet enjoyed.

=Update - Sept.2006= For several years now UF is one of three tobaccos that has remained in my regular rotation of flakes... S&G 1792 and S&G Bracken being the other two. I just recently popped open one of the many extra tins I bought in 2003 for cellaring. The aged tobacco can be summed up in one word... "sublime". I never thought it could be possible but UF can get even better. Of my original 4 stars I'd upgrade it to 5 if allowed. I better stock up now for the distant future so I can keep a 5 or 6 y.o. tin in my regular rotation.

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This tobacco has a unique combination of flavors. The spice is difficult to describe. Not exactly peppery or woody or nutty, but a combination of all these, and a bit of curry perhaps? The flavors are a nice change of pace for my usual fare of Virginia or Va/Per blends. It is advertised as good in all kinds of weather and this is true in my experience. I?ve enjoyed it in very cold and very hot weather. It works in a variety of pipes, either broken up or just folded and stuffed into the pipe. It is dry enough to smoke right out of the tin.

P-lip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
P-lip (5)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I purchased a tin of University flake along with some other Peterson tobaccos recently with high expectations, even the tin is only the universal tin with sticker on it, long gone are the days of the nice collectable painted tins here. On opening, one is presented with a fairly standard looking flake. rye bread aroma with a hint of the same berry fruit topping used in their Connoisseur's Chioce. I have run this tobac through a number of different pipes rubbed out & not rubbed out, with little success. It is fairly moist & needs to be dried for some time prior to smoking. This tobac burns moist & will bite if pushed to fast. Flavors & side stream aromas are nutty Burley, Kentucky & Viginia with some Berry all there from time to time, but overall very mild, room note is nice & mild aromatic. Ultimatly this smoke is just hard work & not very satisying.

Javelin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Javelin (8)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Whoa! I like this, I think! I've just tried this Peterson flake for the first time and found it both intriguing, and quite potent with more than a fair nicotine punch - but that may have been because I was standing in a semi-gale at the time, (just to test if it was the all weather tobacco that Peterson claimed). It was indeed and I'll definitely be packing this with my camping gear for the tramping holiday my wife and I are planning in New Zealand's mountains later this year.

The slight fruity, berry-like casing was hardly noticeable upon opening the tin and as a flavouring I really didn't detect its contribution during the smoke, but again, that may have been due to the weather conditions. It smoked cool and long with the flake lasting a good 40 minutes in my Stanwell Brass Band #63 that I'm currently in the process of breaking in.

UF has a distinctly rich and nutty, even earthy flavour that I found very pleasing and throughout the smoke there wasn't a hint of tongue bite. This is an even paced smoke that delivers.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Reliable stuff. I am in transition from Latakia blends to Virginia blends. This is a go to blend when you want a reliable, no bite smoke. The topping comes and goes for me, so its always a kind of surprise, but the Virginia sweetness, and nutty burley make a great- tasty combination. Peterson seems to be reliable for quality leaf and good taste. Very recomended. Can be strong- So give it respect.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I've heard mostly negative reviews about Peterson tobaccos. And having tried the Erinmore Flake, which I hate and is made by the same manufacturer, I shied away. I've also been very disappointed with European blends these past few months. With all the good product now made in America, changes in recipes and outsourcing, I've been avoiding European tobaccos as of late. This is an exception. Caressed by essence of raspberry (a light himbersaft spritz), this is a full and impressive blend. In this spirit, I prefer the Gawith Chocolate Flake, but this gives it serious competition. For something unique and different and for the burely flake lover, don't pass this by.

Four of five stars

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This was a real surprise for me! I am not much of a Virginia flake fan but this is truly different and in a most pleasant way. This wonderful nutty ,naturally sweet blend has none of the drawbacks I associate with Va Blends. There is no heat nor harshness. The Burley actually is the main player here. 1 light and you are off to the races. It burns very cool and also for a very long time. I used a small Barclay-Rex bulldog and it gave me an hour of superior smoking pleasure. The best comparison would be to Peretti's NO 333 in a flake form. Also, replace the vanilla casing with a very light berry casing and you have University Flake.I would strongly encourage all Burley lovers to try this. It truly is a wonderful tobacco 4of 4 stars!

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)

I decided to smoke it unrubbed and rolled it up. I only needed half a flake to fill my brand new small Lectura pipe half-full for the pristine smoke. The tobacco lit up after a charring light and tamping, and didn't need another re-light, and I smoked VERY slowly for an hour straight! I even started to get a little nervous when the pipe just didn't seem to wanna go out. At first it was just a deep mellow smoke and I felt like I was drinking it. After a while a sweetish flavour appeared followed by a "nutty" taste. The smoke pouring out was massive! This tobacco is a bit like a red wine or perhaps really, really dark chocolate with a tang of bitterness and very little sugar.

Towards the end there was a marked bitterness. I accredit this to the pipe being brand new and am already looking forward to my next bowl of flake!

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild Pleasant

Whew! This tobacco rubs out well, smokes well, tastes wonderful (very nutty in my opinion), has a pleasant room note...BUT watch out! IMO this has a very substantial nicotine kick! About 5 minutes after smoking my first bowl I got that "warm all over" feeling and had to go to bed early. This surprised me very much as I smoked Dunhill Nightcap for years and my everyday smoke is Revelation which packs quite a kick itself! Still a fantastic tobacco as many previous reviewers have stated...it is going into storage with my other top shelf tins for future use...well recommended with caution!!

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

As I?ve noted before, Peterson blends, for me, defy comparison to other blends I have smoked and UF is no exception. Blueberries, cherries, raspberries, chocolate and berries, in general, are mentioned in the comments from many previous reviewers. This blend should have been named ?Tutti-Fruiti Flake.? Fruity it is. If this was the early 20th century, I wouldn?t be surprised to have seen the neighborhood vegetable man hawking this stuff from his pushcart. Some of the reviewers stated this fruity aroma did not translate into their smoking experience. For me it did, although it was not overpowering but the fruity flavor was there and not to my liking. If this is a tobacco taste, then I am at a loss; this is not what I am looking for or expect in a pipe tobacco.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 3 out of 10.

Rev. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Smoke (18)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I received a generous sample of Peterson University Flake in the package I received from my Secret Santa. After 4 bowls, the baccy is now gone and I would like to do a review of it.

I thank you Santa for the opportunity to try this, I probably wouldn't have ventured there on my own. It has broadened my horizons.

First off, University Flake is described as: Mahogany, Burley & Kentucky blended pipe tobacco. This is from 1998 (the last number is smeared, but I believe that is what it was).

1) Aesthetics - I love flakes and/or c(k)akes. I like the way they look. This was a gorgeous flake, thicker than most I am familiar with, a good 3mm at least. It is rather milk chocolate colored with some lighter bits and some darker flecks. Very appealing flake to look at.

2) Pre-light Aroma - This is a burley blend, straight up tobacco. There isn't much hint of sweetness here. There is a hint of hazelnut(?), but that's it for sweetness. This is definitely quality tobacco, musty is the good sort of way.

3) Pre-light Condition - As with all flakes, you can smoke this as is, maybe rolled up, or you can rub it out fully. I like the tactile sensation of rubbing out a tobacco, so I rub the first bowl fully, the second one mostly, roll up the third, rub out the fourth fully again. I like my tobaccos dry, not crumbly dry like some people I know, but dry - the moisture content is on the high end of that spectrum. As a flake, I expect that, so I am pleased.

4) Lighting - This took to flame very easily. It burned long and steady, slow and easy. There was a need for relight, but that's more from me than that tobacco.

5) Flavor - Well, the best smoke and flavor came from fully rubbing this blend out. While I will describe it as slightly nutty, it was just bland. This produces good, clean tobacco flavor - but it is very dull. This is wonderful burley, if you like that sort of thing. Personally, I need some spice, some sweetness, some highs or some lows - this just plods along.

6) Room Note - Personally, I like the smell of tobacco as much as I like the taste. This room note was that of rich tobacco, but it didn't have that zing that made it appealing to me. Of course, it also didn't have anything that made it appealing to the non-smoker. That being said, it was also not very offensive either - "slightly nutty" one of my boys said.

7) Dottle - Dottle? What dottle? Nothing but ash. And, incredibly, a dry pipe. In fact, even the pipe cleaners came out virtually clean.

8) Overall Experience - This was a very good tobacco, high quality. This burned nicely, simply puffing along. It didn't bite at all, very smooth.

9) Recommendation - Hey, if you like burley blends, this is a great one. It won't find a place in my cellar, it just isn't my cup of tea, but it is most definately a quality blend.

Audiopipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Audiopipe (3)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Ohh the uni-flake.. I love this stuff. It was recomended to me by my local tobacconist merely on the fact that it was a consistent smoke. I'd have to say that i agree. These days, it's my "go-to" smoke. Now as the weather is getting warmer, i tend to find myself outside on a bench smoking a bowl of this wonderful blend every night.

Upon getting the tin, i did find that the tobacco was very high in moisture. I solved this by letting the tin lay open for a few days. If i plan on smoking that night, i tend to lay out two flakes on my desk for about 2 hours or so. As far as packing goes, i have found that taking two flakes, folding them end to end, and stuffing them into the bowl is the best method. This is a smoke that def. gets better as you go along. About half way through the bowl, you get a wonderful full and nutty smoke. Not to say that the whole smoke isn't great as well, but i find the climax to be half-way through. I've gotten best results with this blend by smoking it slowly. Relights are uncommon.

all in all. wonderful smoke!!! go try it.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)

I first smoked some University Flake at the beginning of my affair with pipe-smoking and thought that it was terrible! Bitter, uncompromising, dreadful.

Some months thereafter I gave up aromatics and began enjoying English blends. Moving into Latakia and Balkan territory a few months after that (and where I sit squarely at the moment) I decided it was time to try the Uni Flake once more.

Delicious! Flavorful! Sweet! I like the slow, hot burn although the pipe heats up quite quickly and breaks are required.

One negative would be the "goop" produced- whether it is a product of combusion or melted flavoring I do not know. It is, though, some of the most rancid moisture ever to inadvertantly enter my mouth (outside of that one time at a go-go bar in Thailand).

Notwithstanding, I've smoked several bowls of this today and I'm really enjoying it.

Images conjured by this blend include buxom dancers invariably interested in me, for my personality, in a Las Vegas strip club.

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

University Flakes is an odd ball I really love and enjoy. It is dull and blunt. In fact it is so dull and blunt that this in itself becomes the characteristics of this flake. It is not spicy at all and contains zero aromatic qualities. It is not cased but it is heavily processed, very fermented to a state that the fiber of the leaves feel more like a thick cake. And so much that there is alcohol generated. It flavor is dark, rich and extreme think and musky. Yet everything is so clumped together, the so call burley, mahogany or whatever that is written on the tin becomes very meaningless. I cannot taste any of it in a separate form. There is a definite sweetness to it. And it is so smooth and thick; it almost felt like the smoke it actually liquid. But don?t let the smooth fool you. It leaves your mouth very cotton like and rough after the smoke. Yet it doesn?t bit. If you are looking for a smoke with big taste or complex tingling of senses, this is not what you are looking for. I go for this stuff because of it total smooth and subtle. If Irish Oak was a cloudy sky by the sea where the main colors are grey, this is more like a rainy day inside a small cabin engaging in meditative reasoning.

I think being super slow is the key to this flake. It take me 2 hours to finsih a bowl of it. I use Savinelli Roma, and it is not a big bowl. I never rub it out rub it out.

I have learn that Murray Sons & Co, Ltd had just gone out of business. Does this mean we have to say good-bye to Erinmore Flakes, dunhill's Light Flakes, Uni Flakes and a few more of many wonderful blends?

New University:

It is a different smoke all together. It is light and sweet. It taste like if the aging process had been cut by half. Nevertheless, it is smooth sweet smoke. It reminds me of Dunhill's Light Flakes without the creaminess. So where is the burley taste? Beats me. If someone told me it is a light virginia flake I would have believe in totality. It is not the end of the day blissful tobacco anymore but can be used everyday for everyday situations such as a night at the bar, after lunch, short coffee breaks. So one good thing about it it is clean of toppings. In conclusion, it is not highly recommended as the old version, in fact this new version is a rather disaapointing and boring smoking experience.

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What a wonderful burley blend this is. The tin aroma is quite strong and realy a lot like erinmore flake. So I gave it the same treatment of airing in an open tin for a few weeks before even trying to smoke this. Even if the tin aroma remains strong and reminiscent of erinmore, the taste is nothing like it. (Of course erinmore is a topped VA and this is a topped burley) I found the topping to be quite discreet once lit. The taste is very sweet (not too sweet, luckily) and deep. There is quite a bit of nicotine, but it is manageable. I smoke this unrubbed and it is a very SLOW burning blend (1 flake is enough for the evening), it does not bite and does not require special attention. For me this has become an alternative for nightcap in the category of deep, strong, relaxing blends for the evening. On friday night, to forget the workweek, I match it with a lighter tasting scotch whisky which brings out even more of that wonderful sweetness.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A somewhat under-rated product. There is little point in assessing something by the standards of what it does not claim to be. This does not claim to be a Virginia flake, and if expected to smoke like one will disappoint. Approached on its own merits it is strong, very subtly flavoured, beautifully made and - at least in my experience - long and cool smoking. I find all tobaccos deliver their best if kept on the verge of going out and University Flake is no exception. To appreciate its merits it has only to be compared to something like, say, Amphora Original Blend (brown pack), which is concocted from similar tobaccos. The Irish score over the Dutch in this instance.

J. Bryan Shoup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J. Bryan Shoup (5)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

This past weekend I poked into my favored tobacconist to indulge myself with a couple cigars and to try one of their newer bulk blends of pipe tobacco. After chatting for a bit with the two staff onhand, I was asked if I felt adventurous. Well, I reasoned, I certainly am. Nothing says wild like a Sunday afternoon tobacco shopping experience.

Soon I was brought out a sample of Peterson's University Flake. The process of rubbing it was demonstrated, and they urged me to fill up my bowl and put my feet up in the smoking lounge.

I complied, and I'm glad I did - when I was first asked how it was, I could only compare it to the sensation of drinking a fine glass of wine. A glass of nuanced, complex wine will bring a plethora of complimentary flavors to mind as you enjoy the glass with care. Likewise, as I smoked this flake, I found myself privy to a range of complimentary nuances and details, almost different with each puff (as if Wonka were into tobacco!).

The first puff upon lighting with a mild sweetness, the full sort of near-nougat of a fine burley. All throughout I was treated to a complex, earthy, mildly spiced (in the exotic sense, not hot peppers) range of tastes.

I did not get to see the sample tin as they transfer small quantities out of it to keep ready for sampling, so I wasn't able to try the aroma therein, but when the pleasantly leathery pressed cakes were given to me, I smelled a warm, inviting aroma with earthy tones of mild fruit scent, almost of the dried variety.

So the bowl went, from mild and nutty, to mellow and smooth, tasting at times of raspberry - but never in a strong, aromatic sense. Everything that doesn't taste clearly of tobacco is subtle and complex.

I've read a glowing review or two here that states the exact opposite of what I've said here, which baffles me but just goes to show how different tobacco tastes can range. If you enjoy burley and Virginia, this is an interesting blend that is worth trying.

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

The secret to University flake is to sip slowly at it. Just a little wisp of smoke every half minute. This is a rich and tangy tobacco blend, that typifies Irish flakes. It will get hot if you puff too hard, or smoke out in the wind, but for a quiet contemplative smoke there's little like it. Greatly underrated and nowhere near as well-known as it deserves. If it weren't for my tendency to puff a bit too hard unless I watch myself, this could easily be my 'Arcadia'!

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Very Strong

I tend not to like flake tobaccos and University Flake is one reason why. Rubbing the correct amount is difficult, and the tobacco tends to burn somewhat hot. I must agree with other reviewers that University Flake is a burley blend, not a virginia blend.

Although I've heard a lot of praise for this blend from other pipe smokers, I find it is full without being flavourful and is overall too "aggressive" and bitter for my taste.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I liked it, though I would not smoke it every day. It's a different thing from all the other tobaccos, it has its niche of fans and I think I'm among them. It has a unique flavour, it reminds you of exotic oriental markets with all the spices that fill the air with their fragrance. Good for some evening smokes (it's strong), not for an all-day smoke because you can easily get tired of that flavour.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (38)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I generally do not like aromatics, but I have to put this one in a class by itself. All other reviews have been helpful and more or less on the money, but I had to chime in with this: a single flake broken in half and loaded lightly in a group 5 sized Ropp cherrywood was outstanding! I barely rubbed it at all and sort of pushed the "sticks" vertically into the bowl. It started off with a burley-and-bark kind of smell, nicely reminiscent of the better aspects of Half-and-Half, with a definite cherry aroma. Smoked slowly, it was cool and clean to the bottom. A pleasant surprise with a real nicotine kick.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading all the reviews here and talking with fellow pipe smokers at my local tobacco shop that smoked UF, the one thing I knew before I ever tried this blend was that it was a love it or hate it. Va smokers tend to hate it and Burley smokers seem to love it. Being a Burley smoker I had to give it a try. I waited until I finished my 4th tin to review UF.

The tin aroma has a very subtle but natural fruity note, akin to cranberry but it is not a casing. Most likely this comes from the darker Kentucky leaf. My olfactory senses picked up on sweet VA and Burley tobacco smells with the leathery tone of the mahagony poking through. The flake is a dark and light brown and moist out of the tin, however, it rubs out easily and packs easily. Unlike many others experience here, one charing light was enough for me to consistantly smoke an entire bowl in a variety of bowl sizes. It burned clean, dry and even to the bottom, leaving a fine white/grayish ash with no dottle.

Now, I found that this blend tasted best in a cob, with the flakes rubbed out medium size and then lightly packed. At first match, an ever so subtle cranberry flavor wafts up in very thick billows of smoke. Mid bowl the flavor is sweet and approaching full bodied and the nicotine starts to kick in. UF smokes very cool and VERY SLOW without any bite no matter how aggresively you puff away, but akin to any burley blend, it is best to sip very, very slowly. Following that, you will be rewarded with a very long lasting cool smoke.

The Burley is the star of the show the last third of the bowl. The taste continues to improve to a rich creamy nuttiness all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Because I love burley and it makes itself known loud and clear for me, I find UF to be a full bodied, full nicotene kick, pleasing blend, that is bite free and very satisfying. While, Esotericas Stonehaven still wins by an edge here, UF is consistant and well behaved. Also a great outdoor smoke. :)

Boston Pipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boston Pipester (1)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Tin description: A mild easy smoking blend of fine Virginia and Burley tobaccos, made the traditional way.

Appearance: University Flake is packaged in a smart looking tin with a conservative blue label. The slices of pressed flake are approximately 1in. x 3in. and about 1/16in. thick. The color is dark brown with highlights of light brown mixed in. The texture is leathery and rather moist right out of the tin.

Aroma upon opening tin: Rich somewhat fruity aroma with a scent of fermented berries or apricots, but not sweet smelling.

Smoking experience: After smoking six tins of this mixture, I have developed a rapport that seems to work for me. First, it is best to open a tin a day or two before smoking, as the tobacco is somewhat moist. Secondly, I find it best to rub out a couple of flakes and pack it down on the light side, in a small to medium bowl pipe. The characteristics upon smoking are first fruity somewhat caramel like. Mouth feel and smoke volume are both good and satisfying. Mid-bowl the strength of the tobacco becomes apparent as the nicotine content starts to make its presence known. The blend smokes cool and does not bite no matter how hard you puff, but it is best to smoke slowly so as to maximize the enjoyment. The Burley tobaccos really make their presence known towards the last third of the bowl and many times a light pack-down and relight is called for. The taste actually improves for me during this time with a nutty richness that I have found enjoyable all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The tobacco burns to a dry ash to the end in spite of the fact that it may seem moist initially. There are no gurgling sounds or syrupy residues that some cased tobaccos convey. All in all I find University Flake a quality tobacco blend that is very satisfying and bite free. It is my preferred blend and by following the aforementioned protocols, I cannot find fault with it.

pocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pocket (27)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I find it hard to say someting about this tobacco. I cannot find a tobacco that is similar to it or a tobacco to compare with. it is a stand alone tobacco if you know what I mean. I even do not know wheter I really like the stuff.

I did not rub it, I broke the pieces in a small bowl. It lasts long this smoke and it seems to have a lot of nicotine in it. It does not seem to bite at all.

As someone mentioned before I think this is indeed a love or hate it tobacco.

My recommandation is: try this yourself.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Some reviewers describe this blend as having a top note flavoring like that of cherry or raspberry. I don't think this is flavored with that at all. I think it is due to the dark fired kentucky leaf, blended and pressed with it's other leaf ingredients that produces a tin aroma that is subtly reminiscent of cherry/raspberry as an olfactory perception. If any one has tried Dunhill's Ready Rubbed a similar quality was pressent. A flake that is much more mellow than a straight VA flake due to being blended with some burley. It has a touch of smokiness from the dark fired leaf along with some light virgina sweetness. This is a good product for those looking for a milder flake with a slightly differnt character, especially for afficianados of dark fired leaf, which I am one.

- Recommended

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium to Strong Medium Very Mild Tolerable

I first spread it around gently, then tamped it down as normal. For an aromatic it lit surprisingly well and burned with a strange fruity (cherry, reportedly) aroma which was only palatable in terms of aromatic room notes. I shut the oven to the wood burning stove, and let the seasoned wood take over, much preferring that natural perfume.

I scarcely recall a taste from my meager puffing experience. Good thing it was only a small sample generously donated. I like Peterson's Irish Oak. I like some aromatics. This reminded me of cough medicine blended with cigarette butts. But it got the fire burning nicely.

Carlo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlo (16)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this a difficult tobacco to review accurately because I get very different results depending on which pipe I use; not an unusual problem perhaps but with this paticular blend the range is quite startling. For this reason I will give the 'best' review I can. Upon opening the tin you are greeted by a very familiar but elusive aroma. After pondering this I believe it to be cherry but with a general smell of Christmas cake and Irish Whiskey. I found the moisture content to be just right; slightly leathery to the touch but not too dry. The flake rubbed out easily and quickly to an almost shag-like constituency and packing was easy using the pinch method. After the charring light and tamper I found the mixture to burn well and evenly. I have only smoked University Flake indoors so have not tried it in coarser form. This weed is fairly powerful in the nicotine department but with resting this doesn't present a problem. With re-lights the taste can be bitter and this tends to linger for too long. I cannot detect the virginia component as I believe the mahogany leaf only contributes to the strength; in the main this is a burley blend. After the initial few puffs I found the subtle cherry casing to dissapear except for the occaisional tang. This is an even burning, dry smoking, cool blend yet there is an underlying harshness despite it's obvious high quality. It is akin to walking in an expensive pair of Italian leather shoes with a small irritating stone trapped in them: a quality product with something unpleasant lurking in the background which irritates. It sometimes feels as though it's burning the tongue, throat and pallet and yet it isn't. It sometimes feels hot when it's smoking cool. I put this down to a harsh, acrid component I cannot quite detect. pros: A slow burning, dry, cool smoke of high quality with a pleasant smokey burley flavour and subtle cherry casing. Rubs and packs easily and burns evenly. Packs a decent nicotine punch. Nice texture. Cons: A somewhat harsh weed that feels like it's biting the tongue even though it doesn't. Can leave a lump in the throat. Bitter on re-lights and can decend into blandness. A quality product from the house of Peterson for all that and a tobacco I rotate fairly frequently.

Just as an update, I smoked this recently in a large Barling Tuscan Bronze Full Bent Meerschaum which has been recently aquirred and burnt in. I initially said in my original review that this is a difficult tobacco to judge because it differs greatly depending on the pipe I use. The difference with the afore mentioned pipe was so astounding I felt I had to update my review. It may also be due to the fact the tobacco had dried a little in the tin over the period of about five weeks, or a combination of the two. The result was a creamy, nutty, delicious burley with a tiny hint of chocolate on the top note. All harshness mentioned earlier was completely absent. Simply delicious; this tobacco has gone up a notch in my opinion. I will cellar more of this fine blend!

doc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
doc (3)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been working on my new dissertation most of the day, and smoking flake after flake, bowl after bowl of a new old friend, Peterson University Flake.

The tin I've opened is dated Feb. 2001, and the Orange and Brown Virginias have aged nicely, marrying well with the sun cured Indian, the Mahogany and Kentucky Burleys, which add full body and gives a slow, cool smoke.

A good tobacco for when one is engrossed in study, writing, and research, in my case, or for any other occupation in which one might find oneself immersed, smoking round and smooth. A fine blend of Virginia flavours, including a touch of nuttiness from the Brown, plus the slightly earthy but never muddy Mahogany, and almost imperceptible cocoa originating with the Kentucky Burley. None of these notes are loud enough to demand notice unless one is looking for them, though, providing an ethereal, but constant, pleasant, full presence and flavour, the India leaf providing a nice addition.

Rubbing out a new bowl offers one a good excuse to take a short break, necessary for retention, letting all the nebulous ideas floating around one's mind to become cohesive thoughts, as one goes through the Ritual of the Pipe, without the distraction of getting used to a new blend. One of the joys of finding an all day smoke.

The well pressed sliced cake, each flake being about right for a group 2-3 sized bowl, is a pleasure to rub out to whatever consistency one prefers. Rubbed out coarsely, with the slow burning Burley, it's perfect for outdoors, with body and taste enough to easily hold its own, not allowing the breeze to smoke it away.

I rubbed it out to a medium consistency, finding it easily packed. After the third preoccupied bowl, I was surprized at not wanting another blend. The charring light was even and tamped down nicely. I found it required a minimum of care, requiring only one tamp and relight per bowl, though it smoked slowly and completely. A very low maintenance blend. I found the fullness and round taste to be constant while indoors. I rubbed it out a bit more coarsely for a bowl going outside, and during the trip to the store, I noticed some flavour change from predominantly Virginia to a more Burley taste. I believe I only noticed the change because I was looking for it, and I think it had more to do with the coarser consistency than anything else. It still smoked long and cool in a light breeze. Very good for outdoors.

University Flake has a pleasant complexity when sitting back and enjoying it, and provides a great full bodied. smooth smoke which doesn't tug at one, demanding to be noticed, when working away at something.

A friend found, as did I, that the blend will make known its preference for one pipe over another. It seemed to like my usually VA pipes, but I noticed a blandness in a Barling used mainly for very mild English and strong VA/Perique blends.

It's a rare and happy day when, after 34 years of smoking and blending pipe tobaccos, I run across a blend I can happily smoke all day, that is interesting when ruminating, yet not distracting while working. A fine, unassuming and understated though very personable blend which grows upon one as does the ivy on the walls of Trinity College.

Hmmnn...I wonder if smoking University Flake in a Savinelli Academia could spontaneously generate 3 credits toward a degree...

For me, it's an auspicious find, one I plan on stocking up and will remain one of the blends in my 'everyday' group. I'm enjoying it right now in a Pete 'Kildare' billiard.

Strong Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A disgusting tobacco: grey, dull, cigarettish and anonimous. It has a light raspberry flavoring which, luckily, doesn't translate into the smoking experience. At times a bit harsh and acrid, generally devoid of attractive elements: usually burley and kentucky can be much tastier than here. It burns cool and slow but needs some relights: after mid-bowl the taste goes really downhill. It's quite strong in nicotine, so beware: if the taste was tolerable, this wouldn't be a problem, but as it is the only decent feature is its nice room aroma, which I have been told is "very pipey".

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)
Very Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In celebration of finding a Peterson Pre Republic system pipe for $5.00 at a garage sale I thought I'd go out to my tobacconist and give Peterson University Flake a shot. I mean it's a Peterson pipe right?

Upon opening the tin something in the smell reminded me a bit of Erinmore Flake, but sweeter, better rounded and without the tangyness. Since I don't mind Erinmore that much I thought this could well be a great tobacco for me.

I half rubbed out the flake and packed the UF into my freshly cleaned pipe went outside and lit it up. Interesting flavour right off the bat, a bit sweet but it seemed to fade quickly to a predominantly burley mix, not a bad flavour at all. About a third of the way through the smoke two things happened. Firstly I began to feel the effects of the prodigious ammount of nicotine and secondly my pipe went out. I've been smoking for a good number of years and can usually keep my pipe lit with regular tamping right to the bottom. And I usually don't feel the effects of the nicotine quite so fast.

Maybe, I thought to myself, it's the pipe. Upon the relight I found to my dismay that UF does not like to be woken up once it's asleep. The taste bordered on horrible, but I soldiered on and it soon settled down. The flavour was never as pleasant though and the nicotine kept on kicking me in the head throughout the rest of the pipe. It was like smoking the nicotine equivilant of Rocky Balboa.

Since my first bowl, I've tried to rub out UF to varying degrees and in different pipes with little change. It's a shame because I actually quite enjoyed the Burley flavour before the relight.

I would reccomend this to one who enjoys the flavour of Burley and enjoys a good dose of nicotine. I would reccomend this to a new pipe smoker if I never ever wanted to see that person again.

(later) Since I wrote the review on UF I've found a pipe that works very well with UF. It's a small-bowled GBD that compliments the burley flavour wonderfully. I am still wary when smoking it and tend to only smoke half a bowl because of the effects of the nicotine.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I really had high hopes for this blend but the blend did not deliver. It just did not taste like much of anything. Too much topping would of been a blessing than the plain nothingness of this blend.

Stogie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stogie (26)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

If a tobacco could win a high rating on looks alone, this one would have 4 stars. This is one of the few tins that I did not finish before reviewing. I still have about three flakes that I am about to send off to a peer.

Tin Aroma: A definite scent of some sort of berry floats out of the tin as it sits in front of me. I don't find this at all off-putting, and if I had not read the reviews prior to smoking it, I would have likely thought that the berry taste would transfer through to the smoke.

Visual: As mentioned in the opening, this is the finest looking flake I have ever smoked. This tin is a few years old, and the fine sugar crystals dusting the thick flakes just add a special zing to the meaty textures of walnut and mahogany colored tobacco.

Texture: As I hold a single flake in my hand, it strikes me that this tobacco actually has some heft to it. It resists bending in my hand for rubbing out due to it's thickness and density. Also, I can even feel the slight graininess of the sugar crystals.

Pack/Pipe: Flake rubs out into long stringy strands of reddish brown. Although it felt dry and even leathery in flake form, it is actually quite moist, and I even had to be careful not to over-pack it. I found this did better in wider but shallow pot style pipes. A short shanked Ashton Sovereign Pot was one of the few pipes that kept this tobacco tolerable.

Lighting/Burn: Tobacco lit easily, and required only a charring light and a 2nd match to get things going well. I can't believe how much smoke this tobacco produces. Often after light, I found myself waving my hand furiously to clear a spot in front of my face! The tobacco was easy to over-tamp, but once I became familiar with it no relights were needed until the very end of the each bowl.

1st 3rd: Up to this point you probably think I liked this tobacco. Well, unfortunately, it has all of the positive attributes except one - flavor. And this is unforgivable. The burley does add a wonderful volume to the smoke, but from the first light onward, I was not impressed with any real pronounced taste except that of somewhat bitter burley,and at the beginning a little sweetness.

2nd 3rd: More of the same. the bowl often became very very warm here, although the smoke did not give me tongue bite.

Final 3rd: About this time the only reason I am continuing to smoke is either habit, or to properly cure the bowl. Almost nasty, and just nothing enjoyable about it.

Notes: I wanted to enjoy this tobacco, but it just misses on alot of levels.

Stogie rating of: 2 Tortured Te Amos

CoronaDoug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoronaDoug (7)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Wow beef jerky(thats what my daughter said)! When I got this as part of my Perterson sampler I thought this might be something special. I am not big on the flake but I wanted this to be good. I gave it a good rub and loaded the pipe. It was somewhat of a warm burn. I was disapointed with the very strong flavourless tobacco. I could not get the fruity taste that the others have mentioned. I find this very natural and may be good if you are into that type of tobacco. If you are a naturalist give it a try. I may go back to it one day.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Strong Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of those love it or hate it blends. I have a friend that smokes this religously so I thought I would try it out. I tried to like it in that I tried it several pipes and took the advice of my friend who smokes this regulary and just don't like it. I find it to be rather harsh - not in temperature or tongue bite but in a way that made me feel kind of naucious. I don't think it was the nicotine content because I regulary smoke GLP Haddos Delight which has a high nicotine content and I've never had that effect from it. Some people may love it but I rather hate it.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Appearance: Small flakes, well made with uniform medium thickness. Quite variegated in color with the entire range well distributed.

Aroma: First impression is fruity. Definite aroma of berries. While I love this in a Cabernet, I find it off-putting in a tobacco. There is some Virginia aroma lurking under the fruit, but it is not dominant.

Packing:. Usual methods work fairly well. Either rubbing out the flakes, or folding and rolling work well in normal to larger bowls. Did not try this in any smaller pipes.

Lighting:. Lighting is about average, takes flame well.

Initial flavor: The berries were the first thing to hit my palate, with some Virginia and Burley coming through a short time later. The tobacco flavor was not as strong as the flavoring.

Mid-bowl:. The fruit topping has diminished some, but the tobacco flavor did not develop well for me. In all, a rather boring experience.

Finish:. Burned fairly well to the bottom of the pipe. Did not get much stronger at the end

Summary:. Maybe a good choice for the smoker who likes a flavored Virginia, or an aromatic smoker looking for an entry level Va. For the experienced VA. smoker, not much to recommend it.

Brotherblue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brotherblue (12)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

I'm a college professor (and somewhat of a flake), but I still don't have much of an affinity for this blend. I agree with those who complain of its harshness. That coupled with my disdain for any fruity tones makes this a hard sell. The flavor, beyond the cherry undertones is not too bad, nothing extraordinary beyond a simple tobacco taste (though the aftertaste is somewhat harsh). But this packs a punch on the strength level--more nicotine than I like.

Though I do seem to be overly harsh on their tobaccos, I still hold the house of Peterson in high regard, and stand by their Old Dublin blend. Try that, and you'll see why Peterson is one of the best tobaccos around. As for the U Flake, I'd say try it, as I will in the future, but don't expect great things.

Bluebottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluebottle (18)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tastes very much as it smells - warm smokey tobacco! Flakes rub out nicely to spongey clumps of tobacco which pack very easily. Half way down the bowl and no cleaner required. By now the bowl is quite warm, but I put that down to the Peterson Dublin I'm smoking not being fully broken in yet.

Chocolate flavours begin to reach the tongue by about two thirds down, like Lindt it's a bitter-sweet taste, truly delicious.

Can't really detect the room note properly as I smoked this outside on the porch. However when my sister stuck her head round the door to see where I was she remarked "It's not bad" so I'd say 7 out of 10 for that, or Pleasant to Tolerable here.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I'm returning to this blend after having had a tin of it about four years ago. I obviously thought it was at least marginal then because I did finish that tin. Well, a tin fell off the shelf in the warehouse here and was dented so as to make it unsalable. Since it was a costless proposition, I figured I'd give it another try.

It's also worth noting that I really wanted to like this. I love the tin and I love the whole Peterson thinking man's blend motif. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way.

It's horrendous. At least to my tastes. I find it harsh, sharp and astringent. There's something in the topping that I find very unsettling (physiologically, not ethically of course ). It made me feel rather nauseous and set my teeth on edge. Given that I smoke many blends with far more nicotine (G&H, SG flakes and such), it can't be that.

I'd comment on flavor, but I really didn't notice any in my disgust and revulsion at the reaction my body was having to this blend. Needless to say, I didn't complete this bowl. I don't think I could, even in the interests of quality tobacco reviewing.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found nothing especially offensive about University Flake, but it does not have any real redeeming qualities either. I am not a big fan of burleys, unless they are accompanied by something else that actually has an intrinsic taste. (Yeah, I know, burleys have a "nutty" taste, but not to me. More like house dust)

Well, to me this is just a rather harsh (but not biting) blend, with the virginia component skulking in the corner. The closest thing I have to this in my cellar is a Lane burley flake with no apparent sweetner.

Now that I think about it, this taste reminds me of my younger days when what I smoked was green. Sometimes supplies would run short and then we would smoke the stems in a futile attempt to gain some pleasure. Well, unlike the stems, UF delivers a hearty drug (nicotine) punch- too much for me- and there are much better blends if that is what you are after.

Actually, I am not even sure I will try this again. My Lane burley flake has lingered for a long time and I threw out my collection of marijuana stems ages ago. I will leave this to those nutty burley fans.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

The aroma of chocolate and raspberry signals a problem. However, the flavor of the smoke offers only a hint of berry, but it is enough. The flavor of the tobacco is acceptable but not distinctive. As with a good many aromatics, this tobacco leaves the unpleasant aftertaste of cooked extract, and it lives on. I did manage to smoke the entire tin over a period of six months. I love berries on ice cream, not in my pipe. Paddy.

gee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gee (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this because I am both a university flake and a fan of flakes. I like flakes because I often smoke outdoors and find if broken only lightly they do not overheat with the wind and the rapid pace of my walk. As a rule i smoke Dunhill's light flake and Gawith's Full but thought I would have a change. Normally I do read reviews before buying, but this one I simply bought because it was a flake that I hadn't tried. I will I think stick to Dunhill and gawith when it comes to flakes, but i do want to stanbd up for this much maligned tobacco. This is an aromatic, and that counts against it from the start, but it is also a relatively good tasting aromatic. If you are looking for a tobacco that doesn't drive the family from the room this is definitely a good place to start. Non smokers, the uninitiated, can tolerate the smell of this one, and this is not a small triumph. As for being a university flake, I would think that the average university flake would want something a little more unusual, a little more English, a little less sweet.

Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UF is a bit of a conundrum. Based on its name, tin art, and tobacco appearance, you would think that this tobacco would turn out to be sophisticated and complex. Upon lighting up I found this to be the case for a short while. Under a fruity topping I found an interesting melange of tobacco flavors. Right about the time I started to really get into it however the flavors changed to more of a cheap burley cased with some cherry. The relights on this stuff are terrible. All I can taste is sour, cheap burley, not the sophisticated, upscale tobacco taste I had anticipated. This stuff was better in a corn cob but not much. Although I am new to quality burley blends I have to say that all of the other ones I have tried are much better. This stuff comes out of the tin very moist, but at the same time this is as good as you are going to get. Drying it out only makes the cheap burley taste that much more evident. Speaking of taste, somehow they have managed to take all of the good qualities of burley out of this smoke. There is no nutty richness, and though I never got bit, this stuff did burn a bit hot. I find that Macbaren Navy flake is much better if you are looking for a tasty burley flake. I was excited at the prospect of trying Edgeworth slices and Kingfisher after trying MNF, but after UF perhaps I got my expectation a little too high. I will just have to try them and see. This stuff was very nice in the nicotine department however, and packs a relatively nice punch. Oh well you win some and you lose some!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Unfortunately, this blend did not agree with me at all. Upon opening the tin, you are greeted by medium brown and light flakes. The tin aroma is nice, with a touch of frutiness, a mild casing? It seems a little moist, but rubbed out fairly easily and packed easily as well.It lit easily and only needed one relight.The flavor seemed harsh and not like other flakes I have recently tried. It reminded me of the stale, nasty odor of the cigarettes my co-workers smoke, blech! I trudged on through three bowls in different sized pipes dedicated to virginia blends but the flavor just kept pushing me away.The burn was nice with no tongue-bite and left a light grey ash with no dottle. For flakes, I will go elsewhere, but thank God for "Old Dublin", now that I like......

lvnvbiker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvnvbiker (15)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant

It seems that I am again in agreement with the bottom half. This is one of my regular smokes and to me a pleasant change from english blends with out the bite of a full virginia. The tin aroma is great and the flakes are dense and crumble nicely. It does start sweet but gains to a full tabacco flavor quickly while keeping the sweet at the root. It burns dry and leaves a nice gray ash all the way to the heel. As far as that "casing" if its there it does not affect the flavors of the blend leaf at all in my opinion. This is one I would recomend for anyone that likes a full bodied smoke.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Well, I am on third tin in two weeks. I find the taste to be consistent with subtle nuances of change in every bowlful. Opening the tin I find the flakes to exude a delightful aroma that is heavy, yet, not overpowering. A slight musty berry-like smell is also present. I usually pack the bowl with unbroken flake with a little rubbed out to assist in the lighting. Seldom do I need a relight.

I usually smoke this kind of flake in a Sav-EX model. With a straight tapered bowl as opposed to a conical, I find that if a tobacco tends to be moist, usually the mositure can to burned off before it accumulates in the heel and gets drawn into the bit.

The flavor is consistent the length of the bowl. While I find it strong, I also find it disarmingly smooth and leaving me wanting more.

This blend burns to a coarse grey/white ash.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Dear Friends I am one of the odd balls I guess because I really like this flake. Opening the tin I smell a light but dark berry and chocolate sort of smell. The flakes are laying on their side and are absolutey gorgeous! Thick robust flakes that can be rubbed out well or rolled up. The UF does arrive a little on the damp side, but I agree with others as it is still smokable soon as you open the tin. Lighting the bacy is not hard if you rub out some fine pieces for the top part of your bowl. The taste is wonderful,mild and it tastes like tobacco! I do sense a topping but can not put my finger on it. I believe the topping probally to be a tonquin which I happen to like. The flavour is good all the way down,turning to rich Burley,dark myterious Mahogany light sweetness. Sip the smoke slowly and lightly and this really comes to life. A most enjoyable smoke,enjoy it all day long or with a good book. Cheers.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (140)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A thickly cut flake with a strong aroma in the tin. It smokes very cool and slow. Not sweet at all. I find you get more flavor by rubbing out the flake a good bit (which is not what I do with most flakes, as I break them only a bit to aid in packing, and maybe combustion at the bottom, in order to assure a slow, cool smoke). Even broken up, it still burns evenly but smokes slow, with no bite. Unbroken, the blend had a blander taste, and it smoked forever. Fairly dry but I keep a pipecleaner always handy.

The thick flavor is heavy, earthy, musky, etc. like G&H's unsecented Brown Flake, or the blend Walnut Flake I reviewed separately. But University Flake is not quite as rich or full as the Brown Flake. University's flavor is near dense as something like St. Bruno's Flake (but it is not fruity sweet at all like St. Bruno's is). I am told University has a strong, manly aroma & smell, whatever that is.

I do not find this too strong, but the most I have smoked of this in an evening is two bowlfulls (in a dedicated medium Vesz bent apple and in a smallish Nording high grade freehand). I'm well into my second tin of this in those two pipes, thanks to Tim at paylesspipes, so I gave it a good trial before my review.

I like the rather full, natural-like flavor, but this flake is obviously scented a bit just by the aroma in the tin. The rich burley makes the heavy end virginia (mahogany) even taste fuller. The scenting keeps it fairly smooth tasting. All in all, a good outside smoke while you walk your dog for a spell. It's something supportive to ponder problem-solving with.

smokestack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokestack (6)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant

I have to be the dissenting voice here. I like University Flake! Peterson's have produced a semi-aromatic that actually tastes like tobacco. It does not taste like candy and does not burn hot. The tin aroma is great - I could wear this for cologne. The flakes are quite thick but they break up nicely. The tobacco is a little on the damp side but in a few days it will be fine. It's certainly smokeable now but that may be the source of everyone's re-lights. Rubbed out and lit UF comes into its own. Many reviewers have commented on the way this tobacco metamorphoses changing character along the way. They're all good just different. I just never came across a flavour I didn't like. It is unquestionably a strong smoke. I would suggest that you might not want more than one flake in your pipe.

Grundie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grundie (26)
Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is rather harsh and tastes sickly, thats the best description I can give it. The tin aroma smells to me, like fruit yoghurt, I can't determine the fruit, but theres definately a yoghurt smell.

The flakes rub out easily and are only slightly moist. Upon lighting there is a stong fruity burst, which is pleasant, but alas does not last long before a descent in to harshness.

After a minute or so's puffing the flavour leaves and you are left with a very bland virginia/burley flavour, with the burley predominating. Unforunately it is accompanied by strong bitterness which makes your saliva taste like disinfectant and it only gets worse.

It is a hard tobacco to light and keep lit, especially in the second half of the bowl and each relight makes the bitterness worse. This is despite careful rubbing out.

The only thing this tobacco has in it's favour is there is no tongue bite, however the bitterness and nasty taste make this tobacco hard to enjoy. Plus the massive amounts of nictotine can make you feel a bit funny as well.

I have a few tins of this stuff, I'll cellar them for a while and see if they improve with age.

RebelPipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RebelPipester (12)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

In retrospect after reading the previous reviews, I can understand now that this could be a burley blend. It has the smoky nature of the burley, but the nuttiness is completely gone. This blend made me think more of a Virginia in content with the sugar content removed.

The taste of this tobacco seemed to be of non-sweetened cinnamon and chocolate. No matter how it was smoked, a spicy nature was residual, and the musty flavor of the burley is strong during re-lights. In retrospect, I should try to find an hour or so to smoke this from top to bottom to enjoy how it evolves.

The aroma outdoors seems to be a "clean smell like smelling ivory soap". This does not say that this blend should be passed up. University Flake is a completely different aroma, from any other tobacco I have tried.

The verdict is that the taste evolution of this tobacco is worth going back for and it is great for clearing out the aromatic tastes and smells from my pipes. It also burns clean to a white ash on the bottom of the bowl. I plan to go back to try this one again.

As an update, I smoked this fully rubbed out which still gave a fair amount of resistance through the pipe. Maybe experimenting with different degrees of rubbing would produce different results. Hey I'm learning here guys!

June, 2002

Peter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter (1)
Strong Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I really don't like this stuff. I find it harsh and strangely unflavorful. While I am a devoted flake lover - even a burley flake lover - and find the composition of this flake to be very attractive - nice and thick and crumbly - I do not recommend this blend. There is a slight top note of berry or cherry that never entirely leaves the smoke, which I find disagreeable. I detect no Virginia. The burley aroma and flavor never completely develop, unlike a Macbaren burley blend. And I get a little dizzy from, I assume, the nicotine content (cherry buzz?).

Sorry, Peterson. I love one of your pipes, though.

Colonel Panic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colonel Panic (42)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Pouch Aroma: This is a sweet-smelling blend, but not 'light and fruity' like a typical aromatic - it's darkly sweet in the way that molasses and caramel are. I can't nail down a precise flavor, but it's definately got a heavy taste without being candied

Appearance: I couldn't help but give a little sigh when I opened the envelope from Alan and saw what he had sent. I like Latakia blends, but there are so many other good tobaccos that it's nice to try something different. This one is a thick flake of dark brown to black tobacco with lighter yellowish stems and ribs visible.

Packing and Lighting: I took pieces of flakes and rubbed them out in my hand since I'm smoking this at the computer in an old straight meerschaum, canted dublin in shape. This is a very neutral pipe and it has never had Latakia in it. It both packed and lit quite easily with a blast of intensely sweet tobacco flavor.

Exposition: After the first few puffs the sweetness has subsided to become the base for some fairly unidimensional tobacco taste. It has a nice sharp edge when blown out of the nose, but on my tongue I get sort of a burley sensation...maybe a stoved burley? It's not ashy like the cheap stuff, nor does it make my throat tingle....

This is a very slow-burning tobacco that doesn't seem to want to bite me. Yet. =;>

The Story: As I move headlong into the first third of the bowl I find the sweetness actually gaining some dimension and complexity from the base tobaccos and vice versa. The sharp mouth-feel is still present, as is the burley taste; an ever-so-slight ashiness is noticeable, but as a pleasant counterpoint to the caramelly sweetness. My daughter has announced that this tobacco 'smells really good, Dad'. The smoke volume is quite nice, allowing me to blow thick blue-grey rings of prodigious size.

After a re-light I just noticed a strong sour taste that I don't care for...it doesn't last for long, but a slight remnant is left in the flavor and the sweetness is being overborne by it. It took a good five minutes for it to fade completely, but the sweet character has turned musty now. It's still good, and has a very full flavor, but I rather miss the molasses taste. I am also noticing the nicotine quite a bit, now...not as strongly as with St. Bruno, but at about the level of Dunhill's 'Elizabethan'. Nice :)

Right now, it's almost like I'm smoking a different tobacco than I was when I started: what started out as a dark, sweet smoke with a slightly ashy undertone has mutated into a medium-strength natural tasting tobacco with a musty, musky character and a subdued but natural tobacco aroma. It rather reminds me of a Tangerine Dream song from the 70's, but don't ask me why...must be the steady change from accessible and sweet to something heavier and more demanding. Yes, that's a good thing...

Denoument: After letting the pipe rest for 15 minutes or so, I re-light for the home stretch. This bowl is conical, so the flavor has become quite intense. The interesting thing is the way that the sweetness has subtly crept back in; the tail-end of the bowl has become rather more pleasant than the middle third! There is ample complexity, nicotine and body, the ashy taste is gone and the caramel flavor is tickling my palate quite nicely. Overall, a very satisfying smoke - and I'll try it in a different pipe to see if the negative aspects are still noticeable.

Pros: This is an interesting smoke with great evolution of flavor from the first light to the last puff. It smoked quite dry and clean and left an pleasant aroma in the room that lingered about me (in my hair and skin) for several hours afterward. It also burned steadily and evenly down the center of the bowl - I'd like to try this unrubbed in an outdoor pipe, but the weather is WAY too nasty for that right now.

Cons: The one thing I really didn't like about this was the flavor on re-lights. It became sour and had an ammonia flavor that took a little while to dissipate, but each time it did, the flavor was different once the sourness had disappeared. It was rather like a magician pulling a hat out of a rabbit - unsettling, but interesting nonetheless. Also, re-lights became quite difficult toward the end, requiring much stirring and tamping.