An old 19th century blend of Orange and Red smoking leaf, Brazilian Burley and Virginia Mysore Indian tobacco.

BrandPeterson

2.7
oldsouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldsouth (9)
Overwhelming Medium Overwhelming Tolerable

When I started these reviews I couldn't understand the absolute negativity of some of the reviews. I thought every tobacco should be given a fair shake. However I had never tried Peterson's Sherlock Holmes. This is by far the worst tobacco I've ever attempted to smoke in the past twenty seven years of pipe smoking. I tried normal packing, light packing,even different pipe sizes.

This tobacco almost reminded me of a chemical burn.YOU COULD NOT CHEMICALLY INDUCE A TOBACCO TO BURN AND BITE ANY WORSE THAN THIS BLEND!!

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes deserves better representation than this.You don't have to be a detective to deduce that.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (31)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The key to this blend is accepting and appreciating for it for what it is. The smoker must overlook the marketing and comparison to other blends. This is a quality ribbon cut that is mild with subtle notes of sweetness and a bit of citrus. It requires the pipe smoker to use their puffing skills to keep it cool as it will surely burn hot. You will receive the sweet and warm flavor from the virginias on the tail end of a gentle cool draw.

The bouquet from the tin brings visions of peaking my head in my grandfathers tobacco barn. You get that sweet VA tobacco smell air cured and hanging up in the wooden barn.

When I tried this blend I was disappointed as I was trying to force it into what the Peterson marketing was trying to do. After a few bowls I decided I hated it and set it aside, I remember thinking I might never open it again. However, months later I decided to revisit it as I wanted to see how it compares with Irish Oak in my pre-republic Peterson standard. I discovered the blend didn't change, but my understanding and way to approach it did. Then something I didn't expect began to happen, I liked it and appreciated it for what it is. It began to grow on me and I found I craved it more often.

Its not a part of my rotation but I would recommend a single tin for the experience. To appreciate it, is to know what you are buying and what to expect. This is a nice vintage blend of mello Burley and VA with subtle sweet flavors. Don't expect a lot of bouquet or complexity like Old Dublin. But Sherlock Holmes is a fine tobacco in it's own right.

Pipe Used: 40s Peterson Standard.

Purchased From: JR Cigars.

stoked Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stoked (6)

Sherlock Holmes is a yellow and red virginia with a little burley. I have a hard time considering this an aromatic. There is a citrus note that is common to bright virginias. That's it. I really enjoy its simplicity. There are some better examples of this genre out there but I still buy a tin of Sherlock Holmes here and there. There is something about it that grows on you.

Note to some reviewers and readers. This is not an english blend or crossover there of in any way. Just because the character is british doesn't make the tobacco so. EBs have orientals and usually latakia. This one definately does not. Its just a straight virginia with some burley.

Similar Blends: SG Golden Glow.

Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

This is a fine Virginia/Burley mixture with a strange but very mild flavoring, easy to smoke, although it can bite if smoked recklessly. I can see why many people enjoy this tobacco, but I find it lacking some taste and a lot of character.

Should it be discontinued, I wouldn't expect many smokers missing it, as there are many similar tobaccos on the market (Sail green coming to my mind while I smoke it).

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (14)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I've been buying this tobacco on and off over the years. Although it was good, I never smoked enough to really become a fan of it. My favourite Pete is Irish Oak which is also my daily go to baccy

As of lately IO is not available locally. I tried Irish Whiskey which I also find very good. Now IW has also gone AWOL.

So Sherlock Holmes was next on my list. And what a lovely tobacco this is! I'm on my third tin now and the more I smoke it, the more I like it. I love the beautiful yellowish colour. The tobacco is quite dry out of the tin, ready to smoke. The room note is acceptable for all my non-smoking friends. There is no gurgle and no tongue bite. Nicotine delivery is good and I can go through a whole bowl, sipping slowly for an hour or more, and still enjoy the taste. To my mind, this is the main sign of a quality tobacco. I love Sherlock Holmes Tobacco !!

Pipe Used: Sasieni

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Curiosity Hut

Similar Blends: Unique!!.

dryseason91 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dryseason91 (2)

As others have noted, Sherlock Holmes works best as a 'transitional' blend: it is not cased or topped enough to be an aromatic (although the tin note does reveal some hints of dried fruit) nor 'straight' enough to be considered a natural blend. The predominant characteristic of both taste and room note is of quality, mild tobacco, with the toasted semi-sweetness of red Virginias balanced well by the nutty Burley. As such it's difficult to dislike, but 'mild' remains the prime adjective: aside from some occasional spice and a subtle, chocolately deepening late into the bowl it fails to develop enough, or convince the smoker that there isn't something, somehow, missing. It just doesn't pique my interest enough to warrant buying again.

OldBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OldBriar (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Excellent blend. I smoked a full tin before I knew it. Must remember to pack lightly, as a tight tamping with this blend will cause it to constantly need relighting. Slow, full draws are best, and not in quick succession, as this blend will bite. When exhaled through the nose one will get the full flavor and the subtle, illusive notes sing. Overall, my favorite. I find it smokes better in a briar as well. I have a pipe made of pearwood and it just doesn't burn as well in it.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)

I've been smoking the pipe for 45 years. I have a very wide taste range for both non-aromatics and aromatics. As hard as I tried over the course of a couple months,I just could not enjoy smoking this blend. It is a quality premium blended tobacco, no doubt about that. It may just be the rare blend that can't satisfy me in any way as a smoker. I'll always encourage people to try what interests them. But, this one is not for me. And I am a big Sherlock Holmes fan from way back! Too bad for me, I guess.

zenpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zenpipe (3)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

First of all: this is my first pipe tobacco review, and it was also the first pipe tobacco I ever tried, in the first pipe I ever tried. So let's hope I can say something meaningful about this tobacco.

I can also add that I bought this somewhat randomly because Peterson has a good reputation, and because I'm a fan of Sherlock Holmes.

Ok. The tobacco in the tin has a rather fruity aroma, kinda like sweet peach juice with notes of strawberry and vanilla. Quite pleasant to me.

In the pipe, I have to relight it quite often, but I assume that is because I am very inexperienced with packing a pipe correctly. The flavor of the smoke itself is not very exciting. A slightly nutty note perhaps. Quite pleasant though, but a little boring.

I've tried it in a (new) briar and in a corn cob, with similar results.

Psyktek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psyktek (20)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was smoking this in a Peterson Irish Second, and found the bowl getting really hot. I had rehydrated this and think I may have gone too far, but I'll say that if it seems moist on opening the tin, let it dry a bit. Will also make lighting it easier. I set the pipe aside for a while and then relit, and it was much cooler smoking. No bite as long as you take it easy. Not a lot of complexity in this blend, but could likely be smoked all day without a problem and without getting overwhelming. Overall a pleasant smoke, but nothing outstanding.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (108)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I just finished a sample of this Virginia/Burley mixture. It's all right, mild and pleasant and civilised, and it comes well presented in a nice tin; but ... meh. It'll suit people who like a bland and undemanding smoke, but it's nothing special: I wouldn't light fireworks about it. Also, a bowlful doesn't last very long. Somewhat recommended, because I can't find any real negatives; just no strong positives. Personally, though, I won't buy it again. Don't puff hard (as the mildness of it tempts you to) or it'll burn you.

graygeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
graygeek (10)

Just was offered a bowl of this from a friend. Very different from the ARO tobaccos I normally smoke. Pleasant sweet grassy smell in the tin. Packs pretty well, but probably shouldn't be packed as tightly as I normally do. From the first match, the great tast and aroma of a good VA blend. Liked this so well, will be going on the web and purchasing some straight away.

smile tolerantly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smile tolerantly (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

This was the 2d tobacco that I bought and - I'll admit it - it's because I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes (the Doyle canon, the Jeremy Brett Grenada series as well as Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch & Martin Freeman) fan. The taste is "gentlemanly": mild, civilised, an all-around pleasant smoke that would tip it's top hat (no NOT a deerstalker!) & apologise if it caused any bite. A lovely golden colour that's packed tight in the tin which also makes it easier to pack in your bowl. I found that having a little loose bit on top as tinder helps a lot to get it and keep it lit.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (37)

This is my favorite blend right now. I can smoke it all day without problems. The flavoring that some many reviews seem to find is not there for me just a good straight high quality VA/burley blend. The smell is hay-like in the tin. The taste is sweet with a very little (occasional might be a better description) tart undertone here and there. Once in a while the nuttiness of the burley comes through it changes just enough to keep my interest. Something about this blend keeps me wanting more. I open a tin of something different and find myself wanting to open another tin of this stuff. For those that like the VA/Burley blends I highly recommend trying this.

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Had several tins of this over the last few months, after we started to stock the bulk of the tins in the Peterson's range.

The tin note was grassy,sweet, slight cramel and fruit. Very nice.

It filled well and lit well too. The smoke was reasonably cool and burnt down well with little waste. Tastewise it seemed bland at first, a simple clean bright Virginia with a touch of sweetness and leather. However The flavors got stronger mid pipe with the addition of an ever-so-slight fruityness coming through.

Very smokeable and not too heavy on nicotine either. Found myself refilling with it without realizing! Ballanced pleasant and a good all round smoke. This is particulalry suited I think to the morning over the newspaper or a two-pipe crossword puzzle!

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Sherlock Holmes himself would probably have smoked this blend. But then again, he has been described as greedily smoking cigarettes, cigars, and practically anything else that burns and gives off smoke.

That is not to say that this blend is bad. Quite the contrary. It is a sweet VA blend (Mysore produces some of the sweetest VAs on the planet) with a touch of Burley that I personally cannot detect in the room note, but just barely in the taste: that chocolate-cocoa-ish taste, cleverly hidden underneath the VA sweetness from India. Makes for a fuller taste than a straight VA blend, so that is a good thing.

The tongue bite some complain about is what you get when you mistreat a VA blend. Sip slowly and it won't bite. So, no complaint from me on that.

Overall, a good VA blend with a touch of Burley that adds to the taste. The taste builds up a little throughout the smoke. Solid three stars for me.

emblemparade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emblemparade (2)

Smells of apricot, but tastes of Earl Grey (tea and dark citrus) and a wooden desk. I agree with others who point out that it's a good “breakfast” smoke: feels like having a cup of tea while reading the morning papers, on the lookout for clues... or just solving the crossword. Then again, could also work great in an early afternoon, after a short work day.

The Earl Grey aftertaste is quite strong and nice, leaves a pleasant dryness on the tongue. The room note will make friends. As others has noted, does have a bite at first, but quickly disappears after a few minutes as the rest of the bowl dries from the heat.

Such an interesting blend! Easy to smoke without having to pay too much attention to it, in which case you get a constant, comforting mild Virginia sweetness. But when you have contemplative moments here and there, it rewards you with subtlety. Nothing too sophisticated, but enough to fit the popular fictional connotation of Sherlock Holmes. I think it's a great name for it.

Was looking for a lighter variation on my usual fare (spicy English), but nothing too shallow, and this was just perfect. If only it were cheaper! It's worth pointing out that the tin contains a condensed cake, so you actually get a bit more than you might think for the price.

Surprised by so much negativity in the reviews. Perhaps quality is inconsistent, or perhaps it's too “interesting” for folk with well-honed expectations. I guess it's not everybody's cup of tea (see what I did here?).

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

SH comes in a round 50g tin, the colour of the ribbon cut tobacco is bright and bronze. Tin smell is like overly ripe red apples, orange peel, apricots, and traces of banana cake and dark chocolate. I doubt there are Orientals in the mixture. SH needs a slow sipping to show its strong points. The smoke might be a bit boring for most, I detect oak, black tea, orange peel and a touch of honey - all not in a "Danish aromatic" kind of way. Burns down peacefully and dry, doesn't require much attention and has a medium dose of Vitamin N. Room note is slightly sweet-sour, honeyish. Unfortunately, this tobacco is too expensive to be an all-day smoke (Mac Baren's Navy Flake might be a good replacement). I can imagine it tastes better with a cup of black tea, or whiskey. I absolutely like SH, but I can understand people who find it boring, flat, uninteresting. Nevertheless, the tobaccos used are high quality. 3.5 stars

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

University Flake aside, Sherlock Holmes is probably the best of a lackluster bunch from Peterson. The bright ribbon cut tobacco has a subtle sweet scent though I cannot detect any flavouring. It burns slowly with a smooth, medium body smoke, but again has no detectable flavourings. Reasonable tobacco taste - a little on the mild side given the body of the smoke, but certainly doesn't bite the tongue. Don't know if I will buy again but certainly good enough to finish the tin.

steelcicada Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steelcicada (9)

This is a very unique blend, In my experience anyways. I smoke it in a very large Meer and find it to be quite refreshing. The colour is outstanding and the tinnote matches. It has an icewine scent and I find the N count to be quite satisfying. Its worth trying. Diolch

ewlship Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ewlship (14)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I was very disappointed with this Peterson blend. I enjoy most of their tobaccos and pipes, however this one just did not do it for me. I found it to be utterly unremarkable. Even a poor or bad taste would be something. A few words come to mind when I think of this blend : unremarkable, pedestrian, and forgettable. If you happen to be a wet noodle that lives in communist Russia with 2.5 children and a fair income this may be the tobacco for you. For me it was not. No aroma, no taste, no strength. I will not buy it again. I needed to mix it with some generic Cavendish just to finish the tin, not a good way to spend $13.

Lukasaurus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lukasaurus (9)

This is the second Petersons tobacco I have tried, Sweet Killarney was my first and I felt it was a nice enough product to warrant a further venture into Peterson Tobaccos.

I must say, I wasnt immediately keen on the note the tin emminated. It rambunctiously screams berries, spice and citrus fruits. Whilst not altogether unpleasant, I can't deny that the smell briefly reminded me of Silage I'd smelt on my Uncles farm up in Aberdeenshire a few months previous.

However, smoking the stuff is a different ballgame alltogether.

The smoke is milder than the tin note would have you assume, and a much more toned down affiar. Unfortunately, some of the dominant flavours of this blend are lost when the product is lit, but nevertheless it is a very enjoyable smoke. The product maintains its spice and a very feint hint of berries and citrus, and seems more pleasant through the latter half of a bowlful.

The room note is great, though again not what youd expect from the tin note. A classic aromatic whiff with just a hint of spice.

Tongue burn is manageable if smoked sensibly, and ribbons are pleasing to the eye.

All in all, a pleasant smoke. Though not for everyone, Its worth a try!

bearsy87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bearsy87 (10)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

the first of peterson's tobaccos i have tried. While I absolutely K&P pipes (I have 4 including sherlock holmes the professor and the baskerville) i am not a big fan of Sherlock Holmes tobacco. Very fruity note upon opening the tin. It burns easily but kind of hot if puffed a little quickly. Overall it is a mediocre blend sharing the name of one of the best pipe makers around.

The Antihero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Antihero (8)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This is one of the very few aromatic blends that I keep in storage or bother to buy. It is something I would suggest to any new smoker to get ahold of in terms of upper priced tins.

This is also a good way to start down the road to smoking English blends. However, aging won't really do anything to this blend, so don't buy in hopes of cellaring and getting a change in flavour.

There is a pleasent bouquet of berries when you first open the tin.

A ribbon cut with plenty helpings of virginias and burley.

Smokes well, but you should let it dry out a bit before smoking. Elsewise, you will have to relight often. Drying, however, I have found to fix this little problem quite nicely.

I offer this tobacco to anyone who comes to my house and wants to smoke a pipe with me. It also goes well with a cup of hot tea and is best smoked (in my view) during the fall and early winter.

3 stars and a good nod from me.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (72)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

There seems to be some mystery about this blend. This is appropriate, I suppose, but none the less maddening. To so many others whom have reviewed Peterson?s Sherlock Holmes, this is a straightforward, natural Virginia tobacco. Some seem to think that it is a blend of Burley and Virginia, though no Burley is mentioned in any of the official descriptions I have found. Only one other reviewer has mentioned the similarity in aroma to Earl Grey tea. With this I am in agreement. This purportedly nineteenth century blend seems to me in the spirit of many aromatic tobaccos with a truly ancient pedigree: a base of Bright or blonde Virginia with a top dressing that is rather floral and at times tangy.

I have a great fondness for such blends and this presentation manages to heighten the characteristic tanginess of Virginia tobacco moreso than say Grousemoor or Erinmore Flake. The one problem with Virginias so pale as the ones in Sherlock Holmes, and of rather a fine cut at that, is that it can become rather hot rather fast if one fails to apply an almost Holmesian level of concentration while smoking. Of all the flower & soap sorts of tobaccos to be found, I would say that Sherlock Holmes is on the milder end of the spectrum and good for those who have found the new Bourbon Street a little overwhelming.

I did think it a bit of a shabby trick that they took a mixture that may well have originated in the nineteenth century and simply attached the name of a famous nineteenth century personage. I will say with confidence that this is far from what Mr. Holmes would have been smoking. For a pipefull more like unto the Master?s perhaps one might try Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.?s Special Dark Birdseye?

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

There is no "oriental" leaf in this mixture: all Mysore means is Virginia tobacco that was grown in India, as it could have been grown in Zimbabwe, Malawi, Brazil, Argentina, or, for that matter, the Old Commonwealth.

Soil, humidity and the altitude where it is grown subtly affect the taste of Virginia-type leaf, but nothing can eradicate the incomparable, unique flavour of this tobacco. When describing it, many use the somewhat vague expression "savoury"; American Southerners often refer to molasses, although I suspect that most people today have no idea what molasses taste like, except that it is generally "sweet". Once, before ordering maple-sugar pie?a Québec specialty?at a restaurant in Montréal, I asked the waitress to describe the taste of it to me; to which she answered: "I am sorry, Monsieur, but there is nothing else like érable [maple], you will just have to try it." I would say the very same thing about the sweetness of Virginia tobacco: it is a thing onto itself. Comparison to other flavours, which may suggest flavouring additives, does not adequately express its individuality. The best and greatest Virginia blends are those that successfully showcase the inimitable personality of Virginia tobacco.

Peterson's Sherlock Holmes certainly does that. It combines the, forgive me, savoury sweetness typical of Virginia, with a darker, stronger tobacco flavour that may suggest Latakia, but does not in the least taste like Latakia, being not so much smokey as...dusky. Thus the sweetness is not at all syrup-wrapped-in-smoke, but just purely?Virginia. Not a combination of conflicting flavours, but one unique flavour.

So I would call this a great mixture because it gives a unique insight into pure Virginia taste, and does it without reference to anything else.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is one Peterson offering I didn't care too much for. I can't really say anything bad about it, but it just didn't seem to float my boat. I've had the old stuff from the can with the picture of Sherlock on it, and I've had the new stuff. The newer stuff seems to have a bit more aromatic qualities to it, but neither one compelled me to finish the tin.

Stuffin McPipey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stuffin McPipey (6)

I smoked a one year old tin of this tobacco, and compared it to a new tin. Not much benefit to the aging, although a fresh tin tasted fine. Not too deep, not too complex- just quality tobacco. While I will not likely smoke this tobacco for celebratory times, I can see it being a go-to on a day to day basis.

It's an easy tobacco to manage, not much attention needs to be given whilst burning in the pipe. I can see me plugging away at it while fly fishing on the river with a corn cob, but I'll be putting it aside for a more preferred Peterson blend once I've landed a big one.

onurturker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onurturker (6)

Good combination of burley and vrigina.For long period smoking , it can be boring.I think best tobacco for beginners

Chmalu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chmalu (4)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

I like this tabacco, but in my opinion - this one it's not for everyday. The taste is great, but not that much to smoke it all the time.

robb.maximilian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robb.maximilian (5)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I was very dissapointed with this tobacco. Sure it smells nice, but the taste is dull and boring. I wont be buying this again.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (30)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was stuck between "recommend" or "somewhat recommend". This had enough burley to give the blend some taste. Very mild in flavor but just enough to keep it from boring. For those that like big bold blends, I would stay away from this one. Those looking for something a bit more than a boring mild straight virginia might step up to this.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Unbelievable,

I wasted ten quid on this faeces.

I wont compare it to its namesake and what he would have smoked or made of this because he never existed and isn't real. (Sorry you Americans but its true. He was a figment of the imagination of some moustachioed Victorian Brit, who had far too much time on his hands)

A bright leaved mess of a mixture that bites like a hungry ferret down your trousers, burns as hot as freshly squeezed tea-bags, and tastes like air.

Smoked two bowls, and the rest of the 50gm's is now in good company with some potato peelings, empty crisp packets, and some unwanted cauliflower cheese at the bottom of my kitchen bin. Actually that's an insult to the potato peelings.

Do yourselves all a massive favour. Spend $12 (£8) on a 100gm tin of Orlik Golden Sliced, or $6 (£4) for 50gm and revel in the knowledge that you will never have to think of Peterson's Sherlock Holmes ever again. This takes pride of place next to their other disaster/abortion of a blend, Sweet Killarney.

However, Old Dublin, Irish Flake, De-Luxe & Connoisseurs are the stand-outs from Peterson(IMO)

The rest are, well............. quite shit.

UPDATE - This blend is still entirely shit. 0/4

mike102 (above) :-

1. 'Brit' refers to 'British' which incorporates Scotland, Wales, and Northern Island. (sigh!! geographically inept Yanks!)

2. It was the Russians that saved us ALL from speaking German, not you eleventh hour hero's with your tins of Prince Albert!

3. The tribal Lenape Indians? I take it that was before you wiped them out with their allocation of buffalo as well?

4. Just 'Yank'ing your chain too!!! ;o)

Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Sherlock Holmes . This seems to get a mixed reaction so I'd decided to be as open minded as possible ! Unlit the aroma is of a decidedly full Virginia and the ribbons are very uniform in size . I find the moistness to be just about perfect , requiring no extra airing time . Once filled it is very simple to get lit and gives a really steady burn which does not necessitate re-lighting unless you leave it to stand un-smoked too long . On the Tongue Bite we must remember that it is more subjective as it does not bite me but gets a few complaints from other people in that department . The Nicotine level is about that of Squadron Leader , as is the smokes thickness also . Despite the fact this is not an Aromatic I get a slight touch of Nuts in the background along with a "Hay-like" flavour . I find this to be a very pleasant smoke .

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was an overall pleasurable smoke. The only real complaint I would have is that it dried easily and gave a bit of tongue bit if smoked too fast. With that said it lit very easily and stayed lit for the duration with almost no re-lights. That has been the case with almost all Peterson tobaccos however.

When it comes down to taste and strength it was a very simple well put together blend that would be could to keep around for a simple guy. The room note was pleasant and that is all there really is to it.

A good tobacco.

Pipe Used: Peterson System (Bent)

Purchased From: Smokedale Tobacco MN

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)

An intriguing semi aromatic that walks the tightrope between the aromatic and natural divide and is in my current 30 odd different tobacco collection a bit of a fence sitter.

I have had a few tins of this and to be honest it is my favourite of the peterson aromatic series because it is sweet enough to satisfy my slight occasional aromatic urge and also serious and plain enough to qualify as a strait tobacco.

It is actually quite a strait tobacco and the first thing that gets me as soon as I see the tobacco apearance is how blond and light it is;its a strawberry blond orangy glowy ginger cake of thin easy to deal with ribbons.

Quite moist to touch and could do perhaps with a pre ignition airing before packing. The tin aroma is light and reminicent of a blueberry breakfast muffin.

Its takes flame ok and you get a light virginia sweet fruity note for about the first quater inch of burn then its tangy cereal-esque cornflake virginia nature comes into play and you get a toasted rock cake /sweet bun taste(toasted is a key description here and reminds me allegorically of lucky strike cigarettes which are allegedly toasted tobacco(like dry roasted monkey peanuts in there husks),dry,but this is stronger and definately pipeish in its charecter).

Due to its strait out of the tin moisture level,do not pack too tight,also note it burns quite quickly and can be a bit steamy for the first quater inch before settling into reliable rythme.

Room note is mysteriously milky creamy and my written notes say like "wet sweet acrylic paint"(in a nice way i might add)

I say this tobacco does not bite;it can get hot and can give you dry tongue if you go hard,,,,;also it does not bite in a typical nasty aromatic 'poly glycol' way(you know that bad chemical reaction from certain chemically enhanced/preserved over the counter blends) But,,,; it does have a 'prickle' factor sometimes which is not tongue bite ,but is 'tangyness';i will compare this tangyness to explain what i mean:- Sherlock holmes has a 'green' taste which is like an aftertaste sensation simular to having eaten green cobnuts(simular to fresh chestnut that hasn't been roasted yet;the taste is like a substance found in some tree nuts which is astringent and is a bitter substance called 'tannin' which is found in vegetation(and is used for tanning leather actually)it is a taste like a pre ripe banana or like chewing an accorn slightly(accorns are edible btw)or plain green tea maybe). What it does to your tongue is simular i suppose to what curry also does;it leaves a sensation but is not 'bite'.

Sherlock Holmes has a tang factor which depending whether you like tang or not, you can chase this tobocco with a drink that opens your taste buds to reveal that tang,or another drink like milk which masks it.

The tang is not massive but it has something in its mild and easy going plain-ness which makes it slightly hotter than another simular cometitor like 'erinmore mixture' which i like also and have discovered since discovering Sherlock holmes.

So what else?;ah,i smoke mainly clays and falcons these days which give me a sharper clearer and cleaner taste of my tobacco's. When i was smoking this in my peterson pipes at first,which have larger bowls,i will say that this was well behaved and lasted longer(because of the bigger bowl)and also the taste is mellowed and more rounded and less tangy actually(bigger airy briar tones things down).

It burns quite well down to a light ash and the taste doesn't change or turn turgid like some chunkier pelletish aromatics do in a large bowl..

I prefer erinmore flake for its creamy milkyness,but sometimes i prefer a bowl of this for its more tangoman tangyness/green tea way.. Sherlock Holmes is more aromatic than erinmore but they are good comparisons.

I have already said that i have repurchased this a few times and is my choice on hand example of a non over the top mellow but serious as well aromatic.

2.5 stars

mike102 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mike102 (1)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I somewhat agree with GreatestShowonTurf. It's pretty bland, IMO. So is the Sweet Killarney. If you like only a hint of flavor, I would go for it. At least it won't hurt you. I won't throw mine out. I'll blend it with some nice, goopy, black aromatic from E. A. Carey. as I did the Sweet Killarney. That will stuff a sock in it's shorts.

If your looking for a fruity taste, definately try the Connoisseur's Choice. Fruity, spicy, and very flavorful. The room note smells, to me, like an apricot cobbler, if there is such a thing. It tastes pretty much like it smells. Very nice. The Sunset Breeze is a bit milder, but also very nice.

I do have a bone to pick with 'GreatestShow', however.

1. Doyle was Scottish, not a "Brit".

2. No need to apologize to Americans. We know Holmes was a fictional 'consulting detective'. We got the news via the tribal drums of the Lenape Indians.

3. If it wasn't for 'Americans', you'd have had to order whatever you've been drinking all day in German.

4. Just messin' with 'ya. ;-)

SmileyOrb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmileyOrb (12)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

If you can imagine Mr Sherlock Holmes smoking his pipe with this his named tobacco, then I can imagine him choking wildly, red eyes blazing, and shouting for Mrs Hudson for a cold glass of water. Yes, even though Holmes dubiously placed his pipe tobacco in a Persian slipper, this is probably the most hot as a poker tobacco I have ever smoked in a pipe (and I enjoy most other Peterson blends!). You have been warned; Persian slipper or no Persian slipper...this is by far the most disappointing blend (and I'm being polite).

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Jeremy Brett played the best Sherlock Holmes in the Granada Television series.

Peterson makes the worst Sherlock Holmes related pipe tobacco.

I have a tin purchased back in 7/06. It still bites just as bad as it did in July of ought six, even out of a Churchwarden.

2 out of 5 stars.

This blend would pair well with a fire extinguisher, because you're gonna need it.

poppa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poppa (3)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my morning smoke. I walk into my work pack my pipe and puff away until the bowl gives out. It gets me moving and the taste stays with me until an hour or so before lunch break. The taste is nice and has an almost hickory or oak finish that stays for a long time after the smoke is done. Not a beginner's tobacco but a nice one.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Not again! Peterson's, you can do better than this!

This is the third straight aromatic tin from Peterson's that I've found to be bland. Unlike Sunset Breeze and Gold Blend, this tin had no black cavendish and no apparent flavoring. On opening, it is nothing but Virginias and Burleys, as far as the nose can smell. The smell was rather figgy, which promised a nice, earthy smoke. My first few bowls left a lingering sweetness in my mouth, somewhat like brown sugar, but it was overall very weak. But after letting the tin sit for three days and lighting up again all I am tasting is thick clouds of vapid smoke that tickles your tongue if puffed on too vigorously. I've slowed down, I've sped up, I've done everything with this tobacco and the rewarding smoke is just not there. I've filled meerschaums, corn cobs, and my Peterson briars with this tobacco. I have given it a fair hearing and yet the verdict is a resounding GUILTY for being a bland smoke not worth your time to puff on, or your money to purchase.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)

The first few pipes I thought tasted far too weak, like smoking air. I was not impressed and was going to use it for blending. After about 1/4 of the tin I have decided this is one of the best tobaccos I have smoked. It's sweet, and very high quality. As I'm learning with most tobaccos, smoke slowly, makes a huge difference. Buy more.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I secured my first tin of this recently. It's ten years old and sports the older design of the Sherlock Holmes silhouette and says "Made In Ireland." It was vacuumed sealed and a bit rusty outside. The tobacco contents was just at the right moisture level for me and consisted of mostly medium dark ribbon cut. There was a faint smell of something fruity, but not very distinct at that. Packing and lighting were without problem. The light up produced a soap-like taste and mildly floral ala Lakeland floral. The floral notes soon disappeared but the mild soap-like essence was in and out throughout the smoke and actually added to the overall charm of this blend. There was a subtle spicy sweetness that reminded me of Erinmore Flake, but less heavy on the apricot and with none of the other essence that makes Erinmore so unique. It is not as stong as Erinmore either. The Virginias were expertly stoved producing a different, unique, and appealing mixture. I do believe there is some Burley, as I did, from time to time, detect a nut-like flavor. Orientals? Perhaps some, which may have accounted for the spiciness I noticed. The sweetness remains throughout the smoke and is similar to the brown sugar sweetness found in the Mac Baren roll cake offerings that are cased only with sugar and water. Coupled with the sweetness of good, aged Virginia leaf, that sweetness is spot on. It can smoke hot, but without bite nor moisture. More in the Irish tradition if you ask me.

Overall a very pleasant mix that is great for when all you want is "a pipe."

DaSquid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaSquid (10)

This is a well-balanced, light aromatic. Upon opening the tin, I was met by an aroma that struck me as a mildly sweet apricot tea; however, it doesn't really translate to taste or room note - both of which I think are simply mildly sweet in a way that I can't quite describe.

At first, I didn't think much about this blend other than it was very nice. I certainly wasn't planning on reordering it. Until I lit up a corncob pipe full one Saturday morning... simply great with a cup of black coffee. Makes since though, since I like mildly sweet and mellow Virginia blends in the morning.

This is not a blend for those who like to furiously puff away on goopy aromatics, or expect a blend that will send them rocketing into low earth orbit. This is simply a solid, conservative, well-behaved, and mellow smoke that needs to be sipped.

I like a gentle tobacco to start my day, and this delivers in spades. It's one of the few blends that I always keep on hand, and I'd highly recommend this blend to anybody who is simply looking for an elegant smoke in the tradition of the finest old school blends like those put out by Dunhill, Davidoff, or MacBaren.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (100)

Upon opening, I get a blackcurrant aroma from the preservative or topping. Lights and smokes easily. The aroma while mild at the beginning is almost gone after some drying. There is some bite but nothing too difficult to handle. The taste is tangy with characteristic Burley nuttiness. Leaves a pleasant aftertaste. A good all day Va/Burley mixture with better results if smoked contemplatively. A bit boring for me but could be a hit with Burley smokers.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (43)

Cracked a tin of this open for the first time yesterday afternoon. I noticed on opening the tin that it had a similar aroma to that of the raspberry truffle candies my fiance gets from See's chocolate store. Definitely inviting. I didn't notice the tobacco as moist as some have noted. The tobacco did burn a little fast and quite warm, however I didn't get the tongue bite that some have complained about. My guess is since I've been smoking for a few years now I've learned how to control the heat fairly well on tobaccos that burn hotter because of their aromatic properties. It tasted quite nice. Just the right amount of the Virginia and Burley and a hint of fruit. My fiance loved the smell. I will definitely keep myself stocked up on this blend. Probably wouldn't reccommend it for a first time or beginner smoker though, as it may cause tongue bite which is a huge turn off if you're a new smoker.

jimmthegrimm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jimmthegrimm (1)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was the first "real" tobacco I ever tried, and as such this is also my first review.

Being used to the sticky "convenience store" blends that I think most pipe smokers start with, I was eager to try something "real". I was familiar with Peterson Pipes, admiring them ever since I learned I would have the opportunity to visit the Peterson factory on my upcoming honeymoon, and when I saw a tin of Peterson tobacco in a cigar shop, I was very interested. I was a bit worried about trying a strong, non-aromatic blend, as I had been smoking cherry cavendish since the start of my pipe smoking career. I chose this tobacco because the tin described it as aromatic referring to the aroma, yet made no mention of artificial flavorings or casings. This was also my first tinned tobacco.

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted by a dusky aroma of dried fruit, almost as if I were sniffing a bag of dried apricots. The tobacco was densely packed, but was not wet or sticky. It has a very soft texture, and its dryness did not make it stiff or crumbly.

I found it easy to pack into my pipe, and after lighting and tamping it down, it re-lit evenly, and burned evenly down to the bottom of the bowl.

The flavor was very subtle. I didn't detect any strong "flavors", meaning that although the tobacco had an aroma of dried fruits, this aroma did not permeate the flavor. The smoke was thick and white, both curling up from the bowl and on exhale. There was no tongue bite, yet I could tell that this tobacco was only one shade away from being a full aromatic, which would have undoubtedly burned my tongue.

I think this was, overall, an excellent tobacco, and I would recommend it to one, as myself, who is looking to get away from aromatics and explore the more natural territory of tobacco.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a decent smoke. It's kind of a middle of the road blend for me. I smoked through a tin of this during a time when I was unwilling to open much else. It was good, but it wasn't really anything that I imagined Mr. Holmes smoking, to me it harkened more to something that I imagined from Lord of the Rings, something that Gandalf might have smoked as he was pouring over old manuscripts in the library at the white city... A nice blend, very mild if you ask me, but it carried me along nicely, I made my way through a tin of it, I will probably not every buy another, but it was okay. The flavor is for sure predominately derived from the burley in it, which gives it kind of an old book taste, with a hint of perique to open it up a bit. I would recommend this to someone looking to try something new moving away from Aromatics, it's a kind of traditional blend almost I think, although it's comprised of some odd tobaccos, not going to blow you away or anything.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I received a sample of this along with some Old Dublin from the good folks at the Peterson Pipe Factory in Dublin, Ireland. I enjoyed the Old Dublin pretty good but I didn't cotton to the flavoring of this one. The bag aroma smelled like a tea blend. The moisture content was perfect for immediate stoking.

Everything else about the tobacco was pretty just about right. I can see why many find this blend appealing, however...very mild & smooth. I don't think it's fair of me to judge this blend on the basis of a flavoring that didn't agree with me. Therefore, I will allocate three stars to Sherlock.

NighTChill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NighTChill (6)

It is nice, it worths trying it, but not sure if many should continue puffing it. It smells delightfull, not strong as expected and it burns too fast, in my view. Should be a little bit additionally dried, before smoking it.

Thesir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thesir (4)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After buying this tin, it had a good go-around my vehicle full of friends to sample the delicious smell. I couldn't wait to try a pipe full of what I expected to be impeccable but first I had to wait for the rich and wet tobacco to air. Finally, I got to load my pipe full, pack it carefully, light it just right... and be horribly disappointed by how weak the smoke is. Although the taste is good, especially with a drink of whiskey, and the room note is pleasant enough for everybody to at least not mind, it doesn't seem worth the money to pick up a tin for the price.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)

Hurray!!! I cracked this tobacco thanks to FunnyPipe727!

In spite of the very silly name, SH tempted me for a long time because l'm a sucker for 'traditional' and 'xhundred year old recipes'. And l really liked the tinnote of SH.

Smoking it however didnot work for me. l didnot dislike it, l didnot like it. l kept coming back however, hoping to decide whichever way about this traditional offering of Peterson's.

My experience with P's has not been a lucky one so far. When Dunhill went missing a very upmarket tobacconist in Amsterdam recommended Old Dublin as a good substitute and I didnot like it at all. Irish Flake and Perfect Plug were promising but l just don't seem to be able to finish the tins. l always find another Flake next to it on my shelf that just tempts me more.

And then I read FunnyPipe727's revelation, rinsed my mouth with some 12 year old single malt and hey presto! A lovely sweet, light, very pleasant smoke all the way!

Peterson should rename this blend 'My Mixture 727' and they will have a winner on their hands...

FunnyPipe727 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunnyPipe727 (20)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

So I had been looking forward to smoking this blend for some time. I've found consistently great quality with Peterson's products. Upon cracking the seal and popping open the tin, I took my first whiff and it was a very gentle aroma of dried fruit. It was rather densely packed, rich in long, shaggy ribbon cuts of Virginia flake and ready rub. Upon lighting it though, this baccy was initially a let down. Very weak tasting blend, not much to speak for in taste or smell, that is to say that it tasted very empty, and didn't smell like much. I thought I was going to be very disappointed with this blend. But then I did something that turned it upside down and made it a sweet, very flavorful blend: I drank a little high-end hooch with it. For my room mate's birthday, he bought himself a bottle of Forrester's Birthday Bourbon. Aged 12 years in an ashen oak cask, this whiskey certainly had flavor, and was smooth, and rich. But it also had a strange effect of opening up my palate enough so I could taste the subtleties in Sherlock Holmes. A very mysterious blend indeed, my dear Watson. Go do some sleuthing of your own and see for yourself! Uncover the hidden secrets in this blend, and you will not be disappointed. A good glass of good quality bourbon will make this pipe tobacco taste like the tin says. Very good and complex. I would recommend this to any beginning pipe smoker, but make sure you pair it with some good whiskey or even rum.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

out of the tin this smelled great but I found it to be very wet and packed very tightly in the tin. It is best to let this tobacco dry before you smoke as it will sizzle and pop if you don't. tends to burn a little hot even after drying it out but it is manageable and had a mild bite. not sure a beginner might or might not enjoy this would only get to try smothing new

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin smells appetisant. After an half hour of airing the tobacco packs and lights well. It has a fruity light topping and the spicy sweet smoking is just enjoyable. It would fit to my tastes better if it could offer some more strength and natural flavor.

marksman8351 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marksman8351 (21)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I would recommend this tobacco to any beginners, its cheap and smokes fine. However at most this is a novelty smoke and not really for someone who enjoys any specific style.

sparky hughes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sparky hughes (3)

i just got a tin of sherlock holmes yesterday saturday. what a lovely smoke.it's realy pleasant with nice a flavour and it's not to strong for people who dont like pipe tobacco this is going to be my first choice for now on.

PersianBaccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PersianBaccy (13)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This blend looks good in the tin, and it has a good name, but it has no nicotine and body. I prefer my winston light cigarrete to it.

hgm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hgm (14)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Lightly cased aromatic of good quality leaf, loses 1 star for wrong naming. If you are going to smoke this tobacco for the first time, forget the name, too mild to be named after sherlock holmes.

Kovacs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kovacs (5)

I'm new to pipe smoking and this is my first review. I have just smoked the first bowl of this tobacco, and I feel like sharing my experiences on this leaf.

It smelled very nice in the tin, the odour reminden me of freshly dried fruits.

As I always do with every moisty tobacco, I put it out to dry an hour before smoking it (as it is very wet in the tin)

Lighting it was easy, and the smoked smelled very nice, with a pleasant sweetish scent. I was surprised. Actually, this was the first tobacco i smoked that tased the same as it smelled. At half way through the taste changed, and became a mosre full tobacco taste, which was the best at somewhere around the last third part of the bowl, so I would say that the first third and the beginning of the last third part were the best. This tobacco isn't so strong I guess, since I don't smoke a lot, and I can only feel the symptoms of starting nicotine intoxication a little bit.

It may seem odd that although this tobacco left me with a pleasant experience, I'm only giving two stars. This is because of the price. Actually, there are other tobaccos like this that cost a lot cheaper. All in all it is worth to buy a tin of this tobacco (especially for beginners, like me), but not more.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A remarkable blend for someone ready to go from cased to unaltered tobaccos and not quite ready for something stronger.

The taste is nice and the tin aroma is great. It is hard to believe that this is an unaltered tobacco.

The thin and long cut, almost shag, makes it easy to fill the pipe and smoke.

This is not suited for an experienced smoker.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tend to compare this with solani virgina flake with perique and so I have to say that is not as good, but still great tobacco. High quality virginia inside.

gmconklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gmconklin (6)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I never like to "Not Recommend" a tobacco, but this one wasn't for me. It smells very nice in the tin but that is about where it ended for me. I really got nothing out of this one aside from the room note. I tried the Peterson brand tobacco because I just love the 2009 Peterson St. Patrick's Day pipe I have... I was not nearly as happy with this offering from Peterson.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)

It is as the tin description reads: "A virginia and Burley leaf blend of great character with a sweet taste and aromatic aroma."

The tin aroma and room note, is reminiscent of blueberries, however the taste of the leaf does not reflect the unfavorable qualities of most aromatics such as "sweet-n-low" bitterness or soapiness nor does it carry a blueberry-like taste. As far as I know, I am tasting an unhindered va/bur leaf while my peers are enjoying the smell. It's a win/win tobacco.

Two more points however: 1. You have heard it a thousand times, but some drying out does this weed some good. 2. It tends to get dull after smoking it exclusively for long periods of time. Rotating it with an english blend is recommended.

Edit: I would like to add that at rare occations, I seem to be picking up hints of oriental leaf in the side stream, though the inclusion is not advertised on the Peterson site.

MickMc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MickMc (3)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

I can honestly say I found this tobacco very dull indeed. On opening the tin the aroma seems quite pleasant, if only it could reflect in the taste. As a rule I am not a fan of ribbon cut tobacco, and this is no exception, I found it burned much to fast to be enjoyed and often lead to a wet pipe, resulting in the obligatory sour taste. Stay away...

longbow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longbow (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The single worst tobacco I've ever tried, in thirty years of puffing. I recently reviewed their Old Dublin, giving it the highest rating I could. This is its exact opposite. How can the same company make both of these? Ghastly.

illius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
illius (1)

Well I havnt ben puffing this blend for too long, but all in all its not bad. Like said ubove a little moist out of the tin, and had a little trouble keeping it lit. Vary nice smell unlit. My ownly pet peeve is the way the smoke was. the smoke gives a bit of light headedness if smoked too fast, and for me the smoke burns the eyes like crazy lol. My heavy english tobacco is smooth and painless on the eyes apposed to this one. Other then that it realy isnt bad, not my favorite smoke but is in my back up box when I do run out of heavy english. As for the taste it has a bit of a bite to it but is good.

shihan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shihan (22)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A little on the moist side right out of the tin. It had a pleasant fruity aroma. Once lit up it was straight forward tobacco flavor. An earthy taste that didn't overpower. The only drawback was some tongue bite.

piper965 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piper965 (4)

This is my first review here on the site FYI. SH is a tobacco i have been wanting to try for a while, but haven't until they bumped the Dunhills, forcing me to branch out to other brands and experiences. The only other Peterson I've sampled is the Irish Oak which was not impressive to me. As a pipe smoker of only 5 years or so I still get a taste for an aromatic type when I'm not indulging in my 965. When you first open the tin of SH you get a nice fruity smell but it isn't too sweet and over the top. I agree with what some other reviewers have said, that it helps to give this tobacco some air before packing it. I have run about 10 bowls or so and the best experience with it has been after letting a portion sit out over night to dry. Upon packing the bowl and hitting it with the first match I got a nice cool draw. I have smoked it in a Peterson Standard 303 with the P-Lip and had very good results. It smoked cool and dry with a nice gray/black ash. The leaf is good quality and more natural than flavored. When you taste the tobacco at first it reminded of a warm fruity flavor then after I set the pipe down and came back for a relight I got a flavor I can only describe as nutty marshmallows, just the flavor not the sweetness. Overall I have enjoyed it as a break from the normal routine. I have already decided to add it in my rotation. It's not the greatest thing I've ever had, but it is a very pleasant change of pace.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Nice, very nice. Not an aromatic, and has a tangy flavor which sets off the dark rich taste of the other tobaccos.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I like the tart, fruity tin note and the sweet flavor of Sherlock Holmes, although I lose interest in it almost immediately. It gets a bit ashy and monochromatic to me, and if you're a reformed ex-cigarette smoker, proceed with caution because you'll be tempted to inhale this stuff. It's light, smooth and crisp, with the bright Virginias in the lead.

It will get hot and bite if you're not mindful. Nevertheless, SH is recommended for the aromatic or beginner smoker who wants to branch out and try something fairly natural. It will be a real door opener. For a similar (but even better) experience in this genre, try Orlik's Golden Sliced, which is both heartier and more well-behaved.

Pipe Boiler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Boiler (11)

I have never yet had a bad Peterson Tobacco. Sherlock Holmes was not at all as I expected in terms of flavour and it will never replace Old Dublin as my favourite but it is a good smoke any time of day. Lights easily and stays lit. No second light up , just light ,tamp and smoke away to almost nothing but a light grey ash. I think new pipesmokers would love this tobacco.Smells like an aromatic in the tin but doesnt smoke too much like one. I think the name suits it. Contemplative.

madpoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
madpoet (2)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this on a whim. It was listed in Peterson's "Traditional" section and not their "Aromatics" so I wasn't too concerned. But, when I opened the tin I thought I had wasted ten bucks. It was sweet and aromatic smelling, citrus like and even some tea as others have noted, along with perhaps apricot. I was afraid. I do not like aromatics. I like unadulterated tobacco.

However...I was pleasantly surprised by this blend. To be safe I packed a bowl in my small clay instead of one of my favorite briars. It was moist and could do with a bit of airing, but it packed well. I had difficulty keeping it lit, partly because of the pipe, my own inexperience, and the moisture in the tobacco. It wanted to bite, so I had to proceed mindfully. It produced a satisfying dense smoke with a decent room note--It may not score points with companions but it shouldn't make any enemies either. But the flavor was not as I expected. It was slightly sweet, but it was predominately tobacco! Quality leaf too. I actually smoked the whole bowl! It left a mostly dry black and dark gray ash with just a little dottle in the bottom.

Three stars mostly due to my surprise. I won't be shouting its praise from the rooftops though, and I have no idea why Peterson put Master Holmes' name on the tin...

It might not make a constant companion for me, but I imagine I'll finish the tin, and might even buy some more. I'll let the tin air out and dry some before I pack another bowl though.

kukulis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kukulis (12)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Update:

after some time I realized that feelings I get from this tobacco are not the ones I like too mutch. This tobacco actualy doesn't have significant taste and aroma, just makes me dizzy and then makes me thinking that the taste and aroma are pleasant; after the smoking the effect vanishes.

---

This tobacco reminds me Dan Tobacco "Green label", but is mutch better balanced. Smoking gives excellent taste and smell and senses doesn't dull after it. Superb!

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I have to say, this blend dissapointed me. I was ready for something with kick, and instead I found something that Bradley's would sell to Watson. This blend had nothing special in it. The flavor was nice and the strength was well below what I expected it to be. Not to speak badly of a blend that, I'm sure, quite a few people would enjoy. It just did absolutely nothing for me.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is based upon one of two 5 gram samples I received from the good folks at Kapp & Peterson of Dublin, Ireland. The other sample is Old Dublin. Breaking the seal on the foil pouch, I instantly whiffed an aroma that smelled like orange pekoe tea. It was already dry and ready for stoking. After a few puffs, I could tell that the nicotine content was fairly strong which was a plus for me. After DGT'ing for awhile, I began earnestly trying to identify the taste of smoke, but could not...floral was the only thing that came to mind. It was not sweet tasting and I did not particularly like the flavor, but that's just me, having grown accustomed to sweet VA blends. It produces plenty of smoke & gets a little sweeter & tastier during the second half. I'm sure there are many who will find it delectable and quite suitable to their palate & Vitamin N requirement. It didn't bite, however, I found it just a wee bit harsh, just a wee bit, mind you. I like this "unique?" blend fairly well and look forward to finishing the sample. Therefore, IMHO, Peterson's Sherlock Holmes merits three *s!

caninjpn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caninjpn (5)

When I first opened this tin I loved the smell but have had bad experiences with Peterson blends so I was wary. This was no exception and after two bowls of the ‘retched stuff' I hid the tin in the back of my drawer and hoped the Tobacco Gremlins would spirit it away.

They didn't. This was a good thing. I found it laying there about 2 months after I opened it and thought ‘what the heck' opening the tin I found the wonderful smell had greatly dissipated but it still was pleasing, so I lit up another bowl. What a transformation! The now dry tobacco tasted like a high quality tobacco should with a gentle ‘fruitiness' that gives one hints of both fresh and matured citrus. It had become a very pleasant, enjoyable good smoke.

It's not earth shattering, some will find it too mild or a little too sweet, but for me it's become a good reliable change from the usual and I can see, after drying out, why some people can enjoy it as an everyday all day smoke. I suggest trying it yourself but AFTER giving it some time to dry and mellow, you might like it too.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (36)

A nice mild aromatic that is not heavily cased. Smells like Apricots & Oranges. The tobacco is a nice red virginian ribbon cut. Good quality leaf.

Comes a bit moist so you must dry it out a some. Also don't pack your pipe too tight to avoid the bite.

When smoked slow it is quite enjoyable and has a nice taste to it.

Not bad for every once in a while.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)

This tobacco has orange undertones and a kind of citric flavouring added to it, which has not pleased my senses.It burns a bit hot also and the nicotine contents are a bit too high at least for me. Sherlock Holmes would have to conduct a thorough ivestigation to find out why one would name this tobacco after him.

langston302 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
langston302 (14)

Upon opening the tin I was hit with a sickly sweet sour smell that I couldn't describe if I wanted to. I was thinking "Oh Hell No" hoping this wouldn't be like my tasting of the abomination known as Savinelli Aromonia. I decided to do it anyway. I packed the bowl with a genorous helping and hit it with flame....and the flavor from the smoke was NOTHING like the prelight aroma. The flavor was really quit pleasant, with hints of spicy orange and smooth oak. I did get initial tounge bite but it went away after about 5 minutes. This smoked fairly cool and was pleasing enough to be a smoke I would enjoy from time to time.

il commissario Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
il commissario (9)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Open a new tin of Sherlock Holmes and you are hit by an extremely pleasant smell of fruit and tobacco. There are strong cherry and whisky flavours at first but these soon dissipate to leave a tangy apricot like smell. The tobacco is tightly packed and quite moist, but it dries relatively quickly.

It packs very well and lights well with no tongue bite. You can truly identify the natural taste of the tobacco and there is a subtle sweetness with cherry and fig like undertones. It burns slowly and can be smoked quite strongly without your pipe getting wet, but if it is smoked gently a creamy nuttiness develops mid-bowl and it becomes a very satisfying smoke. I highly recommend this tobacco and I particulary enjoy this as a morning smoke with its medium body and natural flavours that are not overpowering.

flagg1122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flagg1122 (15)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This one is on its way to becoming one of my favorites. I really love the almost chocolate taste midway through the smoke. The Virginia is livley and bold! I find that if you smoke a bowl about 1/8th of the way and then put it down for a while, the second time around is truly a great experience. Love it!

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (20)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The reviews are all over the place with this one. I have started smoking more Virginians and I like this one. One must start out slow, as it can bite the tongue, but if you go slowly, by mid bowl this becomes an incredibly sweet and scrumptious smoke. For me it is too expensive for an all day, everyday smoke. I did not find it aromatic. I would call it a non-aromatic with not a bad room note. I packed a big Hercules 611EX Dublin with this stuff, and smoked it on the hours drive to work. Quite a chore, when you consider I am driving a WRX with a stick shift. There were times, I wanted to pull over and simply enjoy the smoke. I give it 3 and 1/2 stars.

UPDATE: I leave a pipe's worth out in the morning. It seems to smoke better if if is dry.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this something right on the spot as an all-day smoke. It has the strength, the body and a delicate flavouring (berries I detect, but not in the fashion of University Flake). SH comes wet in the tin, threw the whole content into my leather bag and let it there a couple of weeks for a proper smoking condition. It's mainly Virginia (and so the online description by the distributor tells), no Orientals, but I feel a trace of Burley. Being a fine ribbon, needs hands like feather to fill in the pipe. I like it quite loose packed. I have not experienced bite nor goopy end. A bit pricey but worth the experience.

robvolume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robvolume (9)

Perfect night time smoke for me. Mild, with a delicious sweetness that isn't too sweet.

Top D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Top D (9)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The tin art has changed since this blend was first added here. I've held off reviewing it because it seams to change and be a bit different each time I smoke it, but always pleasent. As an English lover I'm not crazy about aromatics but I'm not so sure this is one. The sweetness of the Virginias leads itself toward an aromatic, but one I can get used to. I've dedicated a meduim size meerschaum to smoking this blend as it is quit noticeable with other tobacco's. I have 4 tins aging.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)

I heard many good things about Peterson tobaccos so I decided to try one. At the store there were many blends but the tobacconist recommended this one. What can I say? This is something luxurious for someone who smokes mainly "drugstore" tobaccos. It is very well packed in the tin so it stays fresh long after it was packed. The smell of the tobacco is different than the other ones, it has a interesting English tea smell and the smoke has a hint of tea and berries but it is very mild and you can sense the taste of natural tobacco. Although this not easily found, I recommend it to everyone who wants to smoke something different and better than the common tobaccos.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (78)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have decided to re-write some of my reviews.

I have always loved this blend. I still remember my first tin a while back and how much i loved the tin aroma, i was worried though as the aroma and how it smokes are usually very different.

The original version ( with the picture of SH) was fantastic, the newer ones ( with the purple sticker) needs a bit of age and i feel Peterson might have distributed them a tad early. A few months does the trick.

The taste and vitN content for me is right on the money. Its strong enough to satisfy for a morning or mid day smoke and it tastes wonderful. As other reviewers have noted, there is NO Oriental leaf in this mix, its all high quality Virginia.

The result of different grades of Virginia and skillfull blending results in an almost Vanilla like taste, i am not remotely suggesting that this is a Vanilla flavoured smoke. My opinion is that the natural flavour of the leaf really comes to the fore and shines and i as a smoker appreciate that, this is a delicious mix.

As Eulenberg has noted, this blend showcases the taste of a Virginia tobacco like all great mixtures do.

On the matter of wheather or not there is a topping present. Peterson's has this listed under their Natural tobacoo blends. If there was a topping i would have tasted something, although a bit sweet, i cannot say for sure and i will give the benefit of the doubt to Peterson.

I always have a tin of this open and even after a few years, i still enjoy it very often.

Petersons is a company i will always support. I think that their products are of very good quality ( pipes included) and they really think of the smoker. I live on the Southern Most Tip Of Africa and no other blending house of note sends anything our way but Peterson.

I will take this opportunity to say thank you to the people at Peterson's and everyone involved with Tobaccoreviews.com, You have no idea how you have helped this smoker.

Mo, South Africa

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)

I highly recommend this one but if you are in a home like mine you need to get out the Rat traps to keep the wife's hands off. I bought a tin of this and the next day I look at the tin open it and it has enough left for like two bowls. The wife is addicted to this like a crack addict is to crack. I swear she can smell it when it is a mile from the door, I can't hide from her when I've been smoking it either.

It smokes well, burns well, has a pleasent room note, and a pleasing taste. Just keep the wife away. My personal notes have this at a 8.3 with the wife around. Maybe if I had a chance to just enjoy it, it might hit that 10 rating.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)

This is an example of a tobacco that is very good but is just not my thing.. I like the apricot citrus flavor but i find it kind of dominates a little too much for my tastes.. it burns well smokes a little on the hot side but if you slow down it shouldn't be a problem.. I would recommend that you try this blend if you like natural tasting aromatics.. or if you like virginia burley mixtures.. It is good and I will probably try it again.. but it does not excite me very much..

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)

A nice light blend, mildly sweet and woodlike (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), burns well but gets gradually hotter as it goes, nicely fills the mouth with smoke, but nothing special. Glad I tried several bowls, but I don't feel a need to revisit it.

gourmet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gourmet (13)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bites my tongue immediately, therefore I can not really review this one......

lonefrog615 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lonefrog615 (4)

This is my first review so understand my inexperience may influence this review... I generally smoke aromatics, mostly house blends from my local tobacconist. A non-smoking friend gave me a tin of this as a gift. I enjoyed it - sweet and mild tea flavor, some berry. I found this to be pleasant and very much to my taste. The best thing about it was the smoke stayed cool and enjoyable to the last. If your taste are like mine and you enjoy mild aromatics - give this a try. If you need your tobacco to "kick you in the teeth" with flavor - skip it.

Keep em' smoldering!

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

orientals and virginia,,well its wt it says,,and let me tell u tht this blend is awesome,,burns perfect and give long lasting smoke of luxury blend,,perfect for breaking in a new pipe and for a peaceful smoke a tin have to b around some hw for a base tobacco with no additives

Pipe of Good Hope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe of Good Hope (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been dedicating the past few months of smoking to Peterson tobaccos because of the changes in blender, blends and now also packaging of most their offerings. This is the 3rd review I'm posting on Peterson after Luxury Blend and Old Dublin.

When forming an opinion on a pipe tobacco, and before offering a review which could influence others, I pay attention to the what-where-when-how. I keep my tobacco at 70% humidity and 21 degrees C. I put whatever I'm about to smoke out to dry at room temperature for about an hour. I smoke at least 1 tin or 50gr over time, I use different pipes which I clean before returning to this blend, I smoke in a peaceful environment away from drafts where I can relax and enjoy 3 or 4 pipes full at a time and fill the room with that smoke. I refrain from using silica filters and choose my accompanying drink, if any, carefully. I prefer a neutral drink with my pipe, mostly coffee ? neutral in the sense that it prepares my palate rather than work against the tobacco, which is the case for as an example, wine. I light my pipe using a soft butane flame, not a match. My views are based on smoking 50gr of this tobacco over about 3 weeks.

This tobacco is from the new tin with the purple cover, not the previous blend which carries a picture of Holmes smoking his pipe. The tobacco was packed tightly in the tin with significant moisture. The cut is fine and after drying the tobacco it packed well, lit easily and burnt well.

The taste is light with remarkably little bite considering the main ingredient. Even after 4 consecutive pipes full, there was little bitterness and the smoke remained pleasurable. The aroma delivered top notes of natural tobacco and very light vanilla. As you progress through the bowl, base notes of light wood (I could not quite peg it as oak or maybe cedar) and dry herbs develop. Nicotine content is light.

The overall experience is mild and will not satisfy most experienced smokers. That is possibly the attractive property of this tobacco blend as it remains an affordable quality offering which I will recommend to new pipe smokers who are after a non-aromatic natural tobacco option but who are not quite ready for sliced Orlik or more expensive options such as Davidoff. I rate it 3 stars although it will not be one of my regular options. HG, South Africa

JABrookEsq Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JABrookEsq (2)

This mixture is my first 9-11 dollar tin, having enjoyed only Field & Stream by HOW before this. So excited was I, after making my purchase at the nearest Tinder Box, that I opened the tin immediately upon getting back in my car, with my wife and 8 month old in the back seat, the former situating the latter for the ride home. The aroma that was unleashed was very intense, and extremely enjoyable. My wife, who detests that I smoke at all, even commented on the inescapably pleasant vapors that overtook the cabin. We were smelling an exotic dessert. Fruit, berries, flowers...heaven. There can be no denying that this stuff smells delicious. At the time I was only half-way through my tin of F&S, and I had little luck with this mixture using the technique that I found worked best for F&S (very light packing). I got tongue bite and very little enjoyment from this blend at the time. I decided to put this aside until I finished the F&S.

When I came back to this tobacco two months later (I don't smoke very often)I began experimenting with it. If there is one thing I've learned from reading the reviews on this site, it is that some believe that tobaccos should smoke well with their packing and smoking style. I know that I have to adjust both to get the most enjoyment out of the tobacco. And I found that this tobacco does best when packed very tightly. Where I just gravity fed F&S and lightly tamped it, I crushed poor Sherlock in a vice. No more tongue bite, and a very enjoyable smoking experience.

That it is fall means that I smoked almost all of this tin while working outside in the yard. This is really where this tobacco shined for me. With only a tamp here and there when the draw became too free-flowing, I could smoke a whole bowl with nary a conscious thought about it. It stayed lit easily and hardly ever required a relight. Many of my bowls were soggy near the bottom, but I chalk that up to having the stem in my mouth almost continually for about an hour and slobbering into it like a St. Bernard; hardly Peterson's fault.

Compared to the aroma, the smoke itself was unremarkable for taste. The heaven that awaits the olfactory glands upon opening the tin is not awaiting the tastebuds.

For me, however, in reviewing a tobacco, I have to consider the prospective buyer. And my rating of three stars is based on the fact that this is definately a quality tobacco that permits a relaxed smoking experience that doesn't require one to think very much about how one is smoking it. In itself, that is a very redeeming quality. It misses out on the four-star rating becuase, other than the smell, it does not have any quality about it that is remarkable. I wrote several times in my notes that there just wasn't much to say about it.

I do not regret spending the extra money on it, nor the tin of Peterson's Connoisseur's Blend that I bought at the same time. Having said that, I've finished this tin as I write this review, and I will not purchase another. There are too many more blends to try, and more F&S in my future to savor. If I smoked more often, and could actually have a rotation, I might put this fine product in it.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

?A Virginia and Burley leaf blend of great character with a sweet taste and aromatic aroma?? they said on the tin? Aromatic aroma?

Anyway, this tobacco is good smelling after opening but plain, plain, plain when smoking. To me it did not bring much joy and for sure I will not buy it again.

Rabid_Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rabid_Dog (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Update: 9/23/08 - Have let opened tin age in a ziploc bag for 3 months and tried this blend again. Drier, less of a fig aroma in tin, still burns with wooden taste, a good wood for sure a Walnut or Mahogany, still peppery (although less) even when not burning hot. Also needs relights, stop puffing and it goes stone cold. Will try again in 3 months time. Still one star. =================================================

This review is based on the newer tin purplish label without the picture of Holmes. Having read the reviews below and being a fan of the great fictional detective I was curious to try Peterson's 'Sherlock Holmes' tobacco.

Description: "A Virginia and Burley leaf blend of great character with a sweet taste and aromatic aroma." Aromatic aroma? Isn't that redundant?

Appearance: Tobacco in tin is moist and needs to breathe a bit to smoke well. Ribbon cut light brown and deep brown.

Aroma: Pop the tin and the sweet smell of dried figs and tobacco greets the senses. A very pleasant smell and promises a good smoke. This aroma is not imparted to the final flavor of the tobacco.

Packing: Packs well.

Lighting: Requires relights, won't burn consistently.

Taste: Initial taste is good at first light. Quickly the casing takes over, burns hot, peppery to the tongue, wooden taste. All of the above sensations increased as the bowl burnt down, eventually I felt I was smoking the briar pipe and not the tobacco.

My Impressions: Burns too peppery for my tastes. Tongue was raw and hot by mid-bowl. Impossible to finish without feeling raw and shredded tongue. Perhaps renaming it to "Jack the Ripper" would be a more appropriate reference based on what it does to your tongue. Based on my personal experience the tin description is incorrect and misleading. I generally don't smoke heavily cased tobaccos and stick with straight tobacco or blends that rely on the tobacco itself for flavor this may have jaded my overall experience.

I plan to let this mellow in the tin and try smoking in 3 months, at the time I will update this review.

Marco1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marco1982 (6)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Sherlock hovers somewhere between a natural tobacco and a very very slight aromatic; slightly sweet but for the most part the taste and flavour of very good, natural tobacco. It smokes very evenly and stays lit easily. The only drawback, as with all of Peterson's tobaccos is the price... Almost 10? for 50 gr.

Piperpan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piperpan (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, this is a good tobacco for me; it's not extraordinary but quite good.

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (15)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Firstly and nothing to do with the actual tobacco - the new tin design is terrible. There's not even a pic of Holmes on the purple label. The new design can be seen here - .

It's somewhat moist when it comes out of the tin but I found that leaving a clump to dry for awhile before putting it in the bowl is the best thing to do. Straight from the tin it produced some bite but after drying it was a lovely smooth smoke.

The tin states that it is a virginia and burley blend but I didn't find the burley that noticeable. It does, as some have stated, have an apricot tinge to the flavour and on times it is rather creamy. It is an enjoyable smoke but I plan to leave my tin for a week or two and then try it again and come back to this review. My first impression is that it is pleasing and mild with a considerable nicotine hit but rather lacking in the flavor department. I will say though, that once dried a little, it does smoke very well and produces a nice crisp ash and left my pipe clean and fresh.

I've tried this again now that it's stood in the tin a few months and I still feel the same way about it but I do think that the creamy flavor favors oatmeal. In fact the only complaint I've got is that the new tin design is bland and boring but the smoke is anything but.

QUITE EXCELLENT.

Doc Jake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Jake (23)
Mild Medium Very Mild Tolerable

Okay, I had Carter Hall once upon a time when I was young and stupid, this blend almost brought me back to that horrifying event. I don't know what the heck they were thinking with this stuff. It is a sad cross between straight poor quality virginias and a "want to be" cased Oriental. It opens with a sick sweetness that dissipates into a very wet and bitey virgina, almost like a poor burley tobacco. It is a flat tasting bitey "aromatic" of poor quality and imagination. If you like flat, sweet, and tongue bite this is for you.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

What a strange tobacco. I keep searching for a Peterson tobacco that I will like: This isn't it.

Once it gets going, it is not so bad. However, the first few puffs are too floral for my taste. This stuff reminds me of Grousemoor. I have to believe that this stuff will linger in the pipe. It does pack well and burn well and has the correct moisture when you first pop the lid.

In my mind, despite the stated ingredients, this is an aromatic tobacco and you should choose your pipe accordingly.

I seriuosly doubt that I will try this again. I will give it two stars. After all, it's the holidays and one should be generous.

The search for a good Peterson blend continues.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)

There is no way that I will believe that this is the tobacco that Sherlock Holmes used to smoke.

Anyway, there is a mystery in its flavor. I read in the reviews about different flavors (apricot-grapefruit-whisky-citrus fruit) and somebody reports (and I agree with him) about flavor of tea and cocoa.

I would say, also that it reminds me of perfume of Errinmore Mixture. It is a long tobacco with golden, brown and red-orange leafs. It has a mysterious and pleasant perfume when you open it. It needs a bit of dry in the beginning, however at the end of the bowl, tobacco has humidity and also I think that it does not turn on easily.

It doesn?t burn the tongue but the nose in the beginning. Small content of nicotine.

Griswold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Griswold (16)

My review is based on the 'new' tin with the new purple sticker on the lid that also mentions Burley.

Having smoked a tin or two of the old stuff in the past I get the strong feeling that the tobacco has been changed. The smell of the unsmoked tobacco is more subdued in the new tin and I also detect a peach/citrus/spice topping that either wasn't there or it was much more discreet, but my memory may fool me here. But most important the strength of the tobacco has been reduced to nothing more than medium while the old Sherlock Holmes was a much more hefty weed.

But all that said, the new Sherlock Holmes is still a good tobacco. It packs well, lights easily, burns cleanly and tastes good, albeit a bit monochromatic. Near the end of the bowl I detect a slight cocoa note which may be due to the Burley.

All in all I recommend it somewhat but I liked the old stuff a lot more.

Ajr37 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ajr37 (6)

This was a bit disappointing. The casing in the newly opened tin is quite strong, but disappears when lit, the flavour is insipid and generally this is highly average. Peterson can do better than this (just try the flakes) but with this, they do not seem to have tried too hard. This bears the name of the greatest Englishman never to have lived so should be a triumph and it just isn't.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This blend is a good one and is worth a try.. However, I do believe that Peterson could do better than that.. Indeed, they are great pipe makers but when it comes to tobaccos they don?t have to do as great as they have a good name in the market already.. Sad but true..

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

I must say, I LOVE the aroma in the tin of that tobacco; it doesn't specify any casing on the tin or any description of a casing anywhere; I'm not sure if it has any, but this tobacco smells really nice, sort of a nutty - creamy -slightly sweet aroma.

Sherlock Holmes is a long cut tobacco, shaggy in width, very thin. With shades of gold, brown and reddish-orange leaves. It packs extremely well, smokes very well too and leaves a dry bowl - which makes me suspect there is no casing, but there could be a slight one too...anyway, smoking this tobacco is very pleasurable, the room note is very nice, but it just lacks in nicotine content, and I need a good kick, being an ex-cigarette smoker that got - finally!- rid of that nasty habit. It doesn't get any stronger past the mid-bowl, unfortunetaly, which could have saved the show for me...

I think that tobacco is perfect for a beginner, it's a no-nonsense tobacco, not complicated to deal with and with definitive very good quality leaf. An experienced smoker who prefers light blends would be also very happy with SH from Peterson.

Recommended!

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Heavy apricot taste with a bit of grapefruit thrown in there. Overall I enjoyed it somewhat but probably won't rush out to buy more. This tobacco is the strongest I've tried so far, but I'm sure there is stronger out there. I smoked two bowls on an empty stomach and paid severely for the indiscretion. That said one bowl after a meal is no problem. Another warning, this one will stick to your pipe and you will taste it long afterward. I plan on smoking the rest of the tin in a corncob and hope the baking soda I stuffed in my briar will get this stuff out.

smoking_wulf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking_wulf (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is very good stuff. The smell is very sweet in the tin and I feared the taste would be the same, something I rarely enjoy. Fortunately, the sweetness proved to be almost undetectable whilst smoking. The taste begins wonderfully, full with raisins and spicy with pepper, accompanied by a touch of "greens". As one smokes down the bowl, however, this initial taste subsides to the benefit of something slightly milder, very much reminiscent of cocoa. Towards the end of the bowl, I have noticed a whiff of something like Whisky coming in once in a while, lending the end of the smoke a shade of Irish Cream liqueur. In short, it makes for a delicious after dinner smoke.

The room note is good and relatively unintrusive, and also has the advantage of subsiding quickly, compared to other tobaccos.

I am not sure why one would particularly associate this tobacco with Holmes, however. I would imagine him smoking something rather stronger than this: perhaps he would have enjoyed this smoke with his cherished morning coffee?

Were I in funds, I would certainly keep a tin of this around; but, as I am not, I will only get it once in a while, as it doesn't fit my tastes well enough to be a keeper.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

My first review, and SH is a good one to start with, I am a fan of peterson tobaccos, being a Dublin man, is just coincidential. This is my main tobacco at the moment, it has grown to be my favourite over the past few months. I like aromatics and this is a good one, yes it is a mild aromatic, but stronger than many packet aro's. The apricot/ citrus and natural sweetness of virginia tobacco go very, very well together. Yes it is a bit damp in the tin, but i find this means it lasts well in a pouch or small sample tin I carry it about town in. Strong nicotine flavour, but still fruity and not too sweet. I little bit cigar in there too. I smoke it in a large Neerup straight (9mm filter), billard and a Big Ben straight silverline (9mm filter). It is usually my first smoke of the day. PS. I have found that filters can actually often help the taste of my aromatic tobaccos, ie reduces bite, moisture and harshness or bitterness of flavours. Most of the above has been mentioned in better more experienced reviews, to conclude a top quality, fruity, sweet virginia.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Sherlock Holmes.06/03/07. New and fresh,then this leave's a bit to be desired.But,if it's aged for at least four to five year's,then it's bloody great! New,and thane it can be very difficult to light,even when dried out."Aged,and then your on a definite winner in everyway" It's different,but,highly enjoyable when aged. Look around and try to find an aged tin.(Then,you won't regret it) "Aged,highly recommended"

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

The can I bought at my local B&M looks like the picture here. My first impression upon opening the tin was that this an aromatic blend that smelled like apricots. This was not what I was expecting from a blend called Sherlock Holmes.

It was very moist, and I had to let it dry out for a couple of days before smoking. This is basically a very mild burley-VA tobacco with Brazilian & Mysore Indian tobacco. The casing seems to hang on during the smoke, making this seem like an average aromatic blend, which I am not fond of.

I supposed this blend would be fine for a new smoker, but for those of us who are looking for more flavor & strength in our tobaccos, there are far better. I think Peterson is much better at making pipes than tobacco blends.

Somewhat Recommended.

theworldover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
theworldover (4)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I've never smoked the pictured blend. The one I've smoked looked like this: . It is billed as "A Virginia and Burley leaf blend of great character with a sweet taste and aromatic aroma." That being said, I don't think Peterson could've dropped the ball more on this one. First and foremost, Sherlock Holmes is English, and so would be hard pressed to be found smoking an aromatic like this one. The English aren't allowed to make tobacco with casings or toppings by English law, so Mr Holmes would have to go to Ireland or elsewhere to aquire this bland blend. Second, look at the two other blends with Sherlock's name in the title: Sherlock's Reserve and Sherlock's Choice. Both are English, with Latakia and some Oriental. Third, I could definately see Mr. Holmes smoking the above described blend of unique Brazilian and Indian tobaccos, but not a Burley-Virginia mixture that's about as flat as can be. The tin aroma is about all this tobacco has going for it. It does indeed reminisce of plumcake while in the tin, and smokes like a typical Mac Blowtorch blend: hot, boring, hot, cigarette-like, and hot. The tobacco is the most moist I've ever seen in a tin, and the casing is so heavy and present that I had to wash my hands after filling my Peterson St. Patrick's Day pipe. Oh well. If you're looking for a more Holmesian tobacco try Dunhill's Elizabethan Mix or Nightcap, or Ashton's Artisan's blend. All three will serve you better than Peterson's effort.

CTPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTPiper (8)

My tin is new, without Mr Holmes' picture on the cover. This is my favorite Peterson tobacco. The tin has a fruity aroma not detectable while smoking. It packs well, burns well and not too hot. I'm primarily a cavendish smoker and I find SH to be a truly pleasureable smoke. It's obvious that quality tobaccos are being used here. I highly recommend this tobacco to beginners and seasoned pipers.

aarok Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aarok (3)

This tobacco had to grow on me for some time before I could really enjoy it. Tin aroma reminded me of dried apricots and citrus fruits, but when smoked the topping was nearly undetectable. I had to air out the tin for quite a while because the tobacco was very very moist. For that reason the first bowls were less than satisfacrory. But when smoked I truly fell in love with the mild and delicately sweet virginia flavor. A very nice daytime tobacco; just right after a light lunc.

Tyler Addison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tyler Addison (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

From beginning to end, nothing to complain about. A good, solid, satisfying smoke. The topping isn't too strong, nor is the overall flavor. I'd smoke this any time of day, morning to evening. An excellent overall tobacco for someone who likes aromatics, but dosen't mind something different and natural every once in awhile. I'd also reccomend it to smokers of non-aromatics, because it may give a pleasant surprise.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (63)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Update, Mar 09

An aquaintance suggested that I had been overly hard on old Sherlock, and I had been looking to try again anyhow, just out of sheer perversity, perhaps.

I think my initial problems with Sherlock were twofold: First, it is very wet and a very thin cut indeed - very easy to pack poorly, and must be dried very thoroughly as most Virginias do. Second, I was expecting some kind of Uber-tobacco in the way of Condor or Saint Bruno - why else call it "Sherlock Holmes". So I was expecting a monster, and this Sherlock is very light and gentle (genteel?).

Take the name away - this is a pretty light virginia and burley mix, probably with a raisiny/bergamot sort of topping (lavender with a hint of licorice?). Very similar in style to Uncle Tom's Smoking Mixture and certain other "old school" virginia-based mixes. Smoked as such, and appreciated as such, it is a very tasty blend, oscillating between sweet and bitter (or maybe woody) notes.

It is NOT an overly strong blend in any way - in some senses it is fairly forgettable. But I will give it 3/4 for being old-timey and pretty tasty if you master it. -.5 for invoking the ultimate pipe lunatic, and -.5 for being so wet and fussy.

A little perique in this might be worth a try...

Original review:

Well, it's a funny world. My "Dear God!" tobacco, this is the one tin of baccy that I wound up just discarding. Kept it for a couple months, trying this stuff on and off.

The stewed prune aroma on opening the tin had my mouth watering - was this to be another plumcake? Alas, no, it is harsh and cigarette-like, with the Va component being completely unable to offer any richness or genuine sweetness, and the topping coming through at all times "Don't forget me!" Pretty bad ride for this pipester.

Dunhill's Elizabethan Mix is Sherlock done correctly.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

05162006 Sherlock Holmes is my first Peterson tobacco. As one who smokes mainly aromatic blends, I was sceptical about ordering this and Irish Oak, but I'm glad I did. This blend could make me begin my reviews with the phrase " As a FORMER aromatic blend smoker". Sherlock Holmes , IMHO, is a very good blend. I smoked 2 bowls, back to back, and experienced no tongue bite or bad aftertaste. S. H. packed well, lit easily, and burned slowly and cooly. I was left with a clean, dry pipe, and the desire for another bowl. My wife said that S.H. and Irish Oak reminded her of good wood burning in a fireplace. If ther other offerings from Peterson are this good, they will be selling a lot more because I really enjoy this blend and Irish Oak. I would recommend Sherlock Holmes to anyone, from the new pipe smoker to the veteran to the lover of English blends that is looking for a change of pace tobacco.

12012006 Sherlock Holmes,along with Irish Oak and Old Dublin, has made this pipester a FORMER aromatic smoker. Mr. Holmes facinated me as a boy, reading his adventures. Now, Mr. Holmes faxinates me again, with a tobacco blend that is this good. The people at Peterson's have another great blend here.

Irish Newbie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irish Newbie (12)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a strange tobacco. On opening the tin it does indeed smell of dried apricots, which is a good start. I have reason to be wary of peterson tobaccos as they all tend to smell good in the tin and then disappoint. There is a slight citrus taste when smoked and it is fairly mild. I find it a nice change of pace from my usual tobacco, the stupendous dorisco mixture. It burns very hot and therefore has to be smoked slowly which is no bad thing, even the bunker thick bowl of the peterson anniversary 140 pipe can become a bit hot. I have read in the reviews that the tin benefits from some aging, something which i have not done. It has a similar aftertaste to University Flake but I prefer the Sherlock. Other reviewers have commented that nothing particularly exciting happens during the smoke. I concur with this view it is the same from start to finish which is not what I would have expected. I have given this blend three stars as it is a good honest unpretentious smoke with high quality tobacco. I just wish it would develop its flavours a bit more during the smoke. It doesn't quite burn down to fine grey ash but smokes dry and cool despite burning hot which sounds like a contradiction but the smoke is pleasant and cool. I might return to it but it is not quite there compared to some other tobaccos of the same price. All in all worth trying, especially for lovers of a consistent smoke.

lensman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lensman (30)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

My appreciation for this blend came only after some time, a lot of drying out, and switching to larger bowls. To elaborate ...

After opening the tin for the first time, I found a very moist pipe-weed with a strong citrus tin aroma. At that point, things didn't look promising. Loading the pipe and putting to match, the citrus was unpleasantly dominant. I struggled through the remainder of the bowl, unimpressed. I placed the tin on my shelf and felt unmoved to try it again.

Some nine moths later, I spied the tin, and opened it out of curiousity. The tobacco was now quite dry, the citrus aroma nicely mellowed, and things were looking more interesting. So I loaded a pipeful and commenced to puffing. I adore burley and Virginia, and must say that with a lot of drying and additional time, Sherlock has become quite a welcome companion.

With this masterful blend, I find the sweetness of the excellent Virginia to intermingle enticingly with the burley. Each brings out the best of the other -- one of those marriages made in heaven. Enoyable to the bottom of the bowl, with dreamy nuances. I have also found Sherlock to shine brighter in a large bowl. Nicely done, Peterson!

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (36)

Not a bad tobacco. My nose detects some sort of topping of a fruity/berry variety. This stuff, overall, burns cooler than I had expected. I've been smoking from two pipes: a bent chacom and a missouri meerschaum. in the chacom, the topping come through a bit more without killing the tobacco flavor, while in the corn cob, a hay/grassy flavor comes through. both flavors are appealing.

Do not allow my two star rating to deter you from trying out this blend; I am primarily a smoker of English/Balkans with a minor in Virginia/Periques.

Jazzplayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jazzplayer (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Very mild virginia shag. Great for the begginer! It is a good tobacco, not a great one. Upon opening the tin, my sences were aroused with a wonderful aroma of dried apricotes. Have this in my rotation as a light smoke.

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Mild Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

This is a new review for the new EU made Sherlock. It is good, real good. The weed has a mild sweet peach scent. When fire is introduce, what left is true mild and sweet virginia taste and I cannot detect any peach or any other flavoring. This is perfect for everyday pipers who spend more time with a pipe in the mouth then without during conscious hours.

At slow burns (in speed which I need to relight every 1-2 minutes), a very pure sweet tobacco taste unmatch by any other blend I had tried.

At medium burn (when engaged in a home movie when the end of one bowl matches the timing of a 90 minutes movie), the flavor comes across with a bit more layers yet still on the mono tone side. And I cannot detect any difference between the taste of top, mid and end bowl. Of course with the mid bowl, the smoke is the thickest and richest. It is real thick, like liquid in mouth but the taste balance remains the same.

At fast burn (after a long dinner at a non-smoking resturant), the taste becomes lighter, less sweet and gives off a more woodsy kind of aroma.

All in all this is good. The strength of it is kind of light. I had been doing some reading on the net, and I wonder if people can really get nicotine from smoking a pipe. However, when I smoke intensely with heavier weeds like Peterson's Uni Flakes, I do experience sweaty hands. With this SH blend I cannot get this effect. So I assume it is on the light side.

This is a very stable tobacco. In my world, I like stable taste . The more stable the weed, the better I like it.

zarteus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zarteus (10)

Without doubt a fine, accomplished blend but made me realise how much of an aromaphile I was! Strange, because I will only smoke a handful of aromatics but I do tend to relish my favourites. Sherlock Holmes packs a firm, complex punch with many hints of berries and other sweet mysteries. On a personal note that was where the problem lay, the casing is delicious but all fruity aromas seem annoyingly absent upon smoking. I comitted the crime of adding a five to ten percent cherry blend which allowed me to take great pleasure in finishing the tin. I couldn't give this a bad review, except to say it is close, but not quite to my taste. The room note is exquisite, it burns most pleasantly but I felt overpowered by its burleys and sheer nicotine wallop!

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

Earl Grey tea; that's what I think of when I smoke this blend. Upon opening the tin, I was greeted by a peculiar scent that I couldn't quite identify. It was a bit floral, a bit fruity. Then it hit me, oil of bergamot. It was really heavy at first light, but toned down pretty quickly. About a third into the bowl, the burley was the most pronounced flavor, with the virginia adding a touch of sweetness, and the bergamot flavor just barely hitting the back of the palate. A very pleasant smoking experience; not overwhelming in flavor and aroma. I will have to purchase a clean, unused pipe with which to enjoy this blend exclusively.

Edit: Just tried this in a brand new unsmoked pipe. It's really a lot more complex in flavor than I was able to pick up using another pipe, and the new Peterson pipe will be dedicated exclusively to this blend (as another one is dedicated to the Irish Oak). It has a nice fragrant sweetness to it; and I still suspect it is flavored with bergamot. This stuff, though a completely different type of blend, goes next to the Pease Caravan mixture in my cabinet.

Camus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Camus (15)

Gentlemen,

I am new to the art of pipe smoking and this is one of the first non "corner store" tobaccos I have tried. I must say I enjoy it very much as an everyday smoke but would hanker after something a bit more tasty every now and then.

I have a question though, my tin is purple and unfortunately without the Sherlock portrait, it says it is "A Virginia and burley blend."

...whereas the tin shown here says "An old 19th century blend of Orange & Red smoking leaf, Brazilian & Mysore Indian tobacco."

Has Peterson changed the blend or are there two Sherlock Holmes? Very mysterious.

I'm assuming the reviews here are for the tin shown in the photograph at the top.

UPDATE 12/July/06

Having now tried a wider variety of tobaccos I can say that this blend is one that really grows on you. With a little time in the tin to dry out it really is fantastic. Upgrade to four stars.

Javelin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Javelin (8)

The tin of Sherlock Holmes that I opened, (with the new purple label), was drenched with a casing! The aroma was heavy and musty, and was reminiscent of malted barley mashing in the beer brewing process. It was not unpleasant, just a little unexpected and certainly different from anything else I've experienced.

Fortunately, the casing played little or no role in the enjoyment of this quality offering from Peterson. The Virginias and Burley work well together to provide an enjoyable smoke that lit easily and only required one re-light two thirds of the way through the bowl. The taste of the Burley was there, but so was that of the Virginias - a truly delightful marriage!

SH smoked cool, without bite and the flavor intensified and deepened in strength as the smoke progressed. SH is a great Peterson offering and it will have a regular place in my rotation!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

OUTSTANDING!!!!! This is one of the sleepers of the pipe tobacco world. This is the most straightforward tasting burley blend on the market. The Virginias offset the Burley in a most wonderful way. This is a very simple, yet flavorful blend. Full of natural tobacco flavor.It is very similar to Peretti's #333 without any of the signature Peretti casing. Wonderful room note and just an enjoyable tobacco. Aromaphiles and Latakiaphiles will both be sorely disappointed. This is for the Burley or Virginia man. Treat yourself to a tin. 3of 4 stars! P.S. This is the new Purple tin sans Sherlock's picture that I am reviewing.This really requires a large pipe to enjoy fully.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

Ok, My tin was purple and says Virginia and burleys....So thats what I'm reviewing. Good sold taste. The Virginias are not your standard fair. Quality leaf- Which may be from the dark continent- But I won't say for certain. It is intriging. The burlies are there and give a full body. I detected no casing- Though my tin alluded there may be one. A great weed to put in those larger pipes and watch a movie. I really liked it- Take your time and enjoy.

BrianHK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrianHK (4)

this is the first time i try peterson's tabacco, "sherlock holmes" is really special for me, i luv its flavoring and taste so much! its really different with other tabaccos (borkum's riff, golden blend, captain black, etc...) that i have! after try this, i think im 1 of a fans of peterson now!

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Slightly rough cut, mostly orange-red with a few darker bits throughout.

Aroma: Nice Virginia aroma with a trace of the stewed fruit hallmark of Perique, and an elusive floral top-note.

Packing: Packs well into any size pipe from fairly small to medium-large.

Lighting: Lights easily, stays cool while starting.

Initial flavor: Initially, the top dressing is most noticeable, with the Va. Sweetness following closely after. There may be some Burley in the blend, as I feel a heavy, almost cigarish flavor present. The Perique stays in the background, adding an interesting piquancy.

Mid-bowl: There is an interplay of the flavors, which makes the blend better than the individual components. All told, the flavor is just a bit flat, or watered down

Finish: The end of the bowl is somewhat stronger, with the Perique showing more presence.

Summary: A pleasant blend, but not a great one IMHO. There are many superior Va/Per blends on the market.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)

The description on my tin reads 'A Virginia and Burley leaf blend of great character with a sweet taste and aromatic aroma'. Unless a scholastic hair is being split, the description should settle the matter of topping.

The tin aroma is somewhat reminiscent of Davidoff's Scottish Mixture, but much less aggressive, permitting the tobacco notes to come through. In the bowl the taste is naturally sweet and the topping does not strike a discordant note. The tobacco burns cool, but at the bottom requires some perseverance and a few relights. The room note is pleasant but only when fresh. I could detect no oriental leaf.

Medium Mild Full Strong

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Mostly mohogany to light brown leaf with some lighter colored leaf interspersed. Smells lightly fruity and pungent. Reminds me of Royal Yacht a little.

Packing and Lighting: Moisture is perfect out of the tin, leaf is a little tight straight out of the tin, rub out as you pull it out. 2-3 lights max.

Initial flavor: Slightly sweet, but dark at the same time.

Mid-Bowl: This is a hearty blend. The Indian tobac is earthy, dark, rich. The topping is a nice counterpoint.

Bottom of Bowl: Builds substantial strength, but no where near to that of Royal Yacht.

Overall: This reminded me of lighter versions of Royal Yacht and Dark Birdseye. Good flavor, no tongue-bite, but the topping always seems to give me a whopper of a headache, hence the lower recommendation. I wish I could taste this blend without the topping. Lastly, the room note of this is great while smoking , but terrible when you are done, almost a burned plastic type odor. Remember, this is a strong blend, eat first or you'll be green...Yes, I could see Holmes smoking this. Elementary, my dear Watson...

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (79)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If I could give this 3 and half stars I would. I'd reccomend it to anyone who likes Virginias and is looking for something a little different.

It reminds me of Dunhill Elizabethan in terms of color and quality of leaf, and body to strength ratio, but without the Perique and a bit sweeter and cooler burning. It is the first Peterson blend I've smoked that I would call "elegant" and "complex", no offense meant.

At first light it is sharp with an odd floral scent coming through. And if I call a floral scent odd, it must be so, since I enjoy Condor from time to time and used to smoke a lot of Kendal Flake. But I do not really think this is topped. The floral scent soon moves to the background or disappears.

Anyway, this is a nearly biteless medium-full strength tobacco with a soft, complex body. Mid bowl it is at its most piquant, with a spicier finish. It should be dried out before smoking.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an odd one. I don't really think there is a topping present. When the tin was first opened I would have said that there was. I tried it, I put it away. I found it a year later. Much drier, more flavors noticeable, and the previously suspected topping flavor is still there. I don't think a topping would have lasted like this, so I think it came from a curing process.

Overall, it's OK - but since I am not wild about floral tobacco, I won't smoke it again. The floral taste isn't strong, but it just tastes funny to me.

prinakis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prinakis (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is one of the best I've tried until today, it has a very unique taste without surprises that you can recognize from distance, an all day high quality blend with a stong but not aromatic personality.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Usually one is able to note the similarities among the various blends one has smoked. I was unable to do that with Sherlock Holmes or other Peterson blends I have tried. For me, Peterson blends seem to be in a class by themselves regarding taste and flavor and defy comparison. A very unusual breed of tobaccos, indeed. A previous reviewer termed Sherlock Holmes ?confusing.? I will say it is NOT ?elementary.?

I found Sherlock Holmes to be a good but not great smoke. It is a one-dimensional, light aromatic having what I would call a dried, wild fruit taste. It is not pronounced. The flavors in this tobacco are subtle. It does not overpower you. But the classic Virginia sweetness is not there. It is squelched and never truly comes to the fore because of the flavoring/casing, whatever it might be. I experienced no bite. If you like aromatics, give SH a try. If you are a non-aromatic smoker and are looking for VA sweetness and a truer tobacco taste, you can skip Sherlock. But if any of you are fans of the greatest detective, buy this 19th century blend just for the tin. I would NOT say this is an average blend. I will say it is a different blend, very different. I liked this tobacco as a change of pace but not enough to buy another tin. The game is (still) afoot???to find the ?holy grail of tobaccos.?????

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 8.4 out of 10.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I will try this again later and modify my review if needed. But, at this time my impression of this blend is too much flavoring to taste the tobacco! I recommend you try a sample before buying. If the flavoring was cut by about 2/3, it might be a good smoke.

Update: 11/12/04

After sitting for about 6 months unsealed and drying out almost to the point of too dry this blend smokes and tastes great. The flavoring is very subdued and I will finish this tin in no time now. A very pleasant change-of-pace somewhat Aromatic Virginnia type tobacco. Could be an all-day tobac for those looking for a break from Latakia. No bite encountered in spite of a certain sharpness from the Virginnias. Smells better than most also. No objections from the S.O. either.

4/27/05 This tobacco has become one of my favorites. If I didn't know better I'd swear there is a touch of Perique in this mostly Virginia. Excellent!

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I came to this blend as one of those guys who smokes burley. In the past, if it didn't have some burley in it, I probably didn't smoke it. This blend, however sounded like something I wanted to try as a change of pace and I noted that several of the reviewers, whose opinions I've come to trust, liked it and gave it a high rating.

The more I smoke this, the more I like it. For me, the first third of the bowl is quiet and subtle; after that the natural virginia flavor comes out to a wonderful finish amd the final third of the bowl, (the part that burley lovers approach with some caution), is the best part of the smoke. I note that the longer my tin is open, the drier and better it smokes. For me, the sweet, floral aroma in the tin doesn't come out in the smoking. This is a good all around smoke and I would highly recommend it.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

3/05 - I am updating my review of Sherlock Holmes because a very good friend recently sent me a 6-year old tin. After three bowls in three different size and shaped pipes, I have determined that this is a really quality tobacco that I quite enjoy.

Upon popping the top, I discovered leaf that was way too moist to load up immediately. I also was not pleased at the length of the fine, ribbon cut Virginia. I quickly pulled the tobacco out of the tin and loaded it in my one speed food processor. A quick zap made the length of the leaf packable. I then spread some of it out on a paper towel for 20 minutes or so, and that made the leaf smokable.

The first few puffs were quite spicy and I probably lost a few nose hairs. After that, things settled down quickly and I enjoyed a nice smoke. I detected a very mild topping - almost fruity in nature. The flavor was mildy sweet, tasted like tobacco and a healthy dose of nicotine kept me satisfied. The bottom third of the bowl was a bit difficult to keep lit due to the moisture.

Oh yeah, this one works for me.

Capulet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capulet (8)

Perhaps it was the delightful imagery of the tin that first drew my attention to this tobacco. I had gone to the tobacconists planning to purchase my usual Mellow Virginia, but decided to treat myself - what a treat!

This is a tremendous tobacco, it passed the taste test with top marks. I highly recommend this.

Montague Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Montague (32)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The Sherlock Holmes tobacco blend is a slightly flavored Virgina and is offered by Peterson of Dublin, Ireland.

The tin aroma of this tobacco mixture is of a light unobtrusive floral odor with a honey background. This aroma in itself is peculiar and is quite pleasant. This blend is a mixture of Brazilian Virginia and Mysore Indian tobacco. The Brazilian flue cured Virginia is considered by many to be a near second to the original American Virginia. The Mysore Indian tobacco is a lemon/orange flue cured Virginia tobacco grown in India which possesses a neutral character. The color of the blend is a nut brown with a tinge of red and orange.

Peterson?s Sherlock Holmes tobacco blend has a shorter ribbon cut and does not require any rubbing out. This tobacco mixture packs well and although it arrives a bit moist, only a small amount of drying is necessary.

This blend lights easily and remains lit without much effort. The Sherlock Holmes blend burns to a salt and pepper ash. No matter how free from moisture this blend becomes, it always seems to burn completely until the near bottom where the smoker is left with a wet and stubborn portion of the tobacco that ultimately gets disposed of. The room note is pleasant with smells vaguely similar to dried fruit.

The taste of the Sherlock Holmes tobacco blend is slightly sweet with nutty undertones. The flavor is indeed similar to that of apricots. The aromatic floral aroma does not carry over into the flavor of the blend much at all. The flavor is monotonous and is one-dimensional. Although this is a Virgina blend, it never truly asserts a sweetness that is most always present with the smoking of the leaf. A slight amount of tongue bite was noticed but the burning tobacco remained relatively cool for a Virginia blend. Not much smoke developed during the smoking of this blend and the smoke that did form was thin a wispy. The blend?s finer ribbon cut and the weaker characteristics it possesses concerning flavor and smoke, limit the blend as an indoor smoke.

Peterson?s Sherlock Holmes tobacco blend is a dilute aromatic Virginia mixture with satisfactory burning characteristics. Although seemingly composed of decent tobaccos, the Sherlock Holmes blend fails to develop any noticeable and interesting flavors.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very mild virginia shag. Not really the strong, course variety that Holmes chainsmoked, but its a good tobacco all the same. It comes a bit damp, but soon dries out, lights with great ease, and burns very completely, until at the end of the bowl, it just stops abruptly, leaving a little plug of greasy dottle. If I really wanted to act like Holmes, I would collect these through the day, dry them on the corner of the mantlepiece, and smoke them first thing the next morning. Hmmm... Maybe not. The tin aroma is really sweet, there's almost an icing smell wafting over the apricot scent of the virginia. This sweetness does not seem so apparent in the smoke, just a mild, virginia kind of sweetness, although the aroma can seem very sweet. The flavours of this tobacco are very subtle, they do build up in the pipe with a few smokings, and it develops its own complexity, although this is of a very laid back sort. It's not strong, its not weak, some love its aroma, others are indifferent, its all very average. But if ever I owned a huge calabash, this is what I would smoke in it. I could really smoke this for a long time, while contemplating mysteries or just lazing around.

DeltaSnake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeltaSnake (31)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this due to being intrigued not by the Sherlock Holmes picture but by the image of tasting exotics from places one usually doesn't get tobacco from. The smoke reminds me a a Sumatra cigar (which was the Cuban of the early 20th century), which was mild, very full mid flavor, very slightly sweet in a dusky or musty sort of way. The bright leaf threatens the necessity of benzocaine for the tongue, but I found it smokes dry, and with virtually no bite, if at all, certainly none if just sitting in a still room. The flavor is subtle, in fact, it took a couple of pipes to have it come out fully in the one I was using to try it. As I've smoked it more and more, other flavors are coming out, and I get hints of other types of leaf flavors and a subtle casing that I don't identify as apricot or anything yet. It's a light smoke, but if you inhale it, it is dry enough to be cough inducing, and the full medium body can make this just a hair bit too much for all day smoking. However, it's now in my rotation as a change of pace and light smoke instead of sweeter virginia blends, and it's different enough to not recommend to not just any smoker, but to say the the right smoker will find this one a must to have with the rest of the collection.

Update 5/1: I'm finding that I like this blend more and more, but be warned, it WILL leave it's flavor in any pipe you smoke it in. I highly recommend that you devote a pipe to it, as it's flavor can be detected even in a pipe I use mainly to smoke heavy English blends in.

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)

I purchased this because I liked the tin and am a fan of Sherlock Holmes. I really will smoke anything but I am not a big fan of fruit flavorings. This is a very smokeable blend and while it seemed to have a slight apricot fruit flavoring it was not objectionable. Sure it is pleasant and mild with a unique taste, but somehow I want more from a expensive tobacco. I think it is worth trying, I enjoyed my can of it, and it will certainly appeal to the people who like their tobacco to taste like tobacco. It is a better grade of tobacco and will not ruin a fine pipe like the cheap drugstore brands. I guess my inate cheapness prevents me from enjoying it as much as it deserves, since I enjoy so many tobaccos which cost less than half as much. I am like the guy who when he goes to a fancy restaurant is uncomfortable comparing in his head the food and prices to his favorite diner down the road.

Bluebottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluebottle (18)
Strong None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

To me this is an odd smoke, quite strong in the nicotine department but light on the the taste and texture. There is a hint at the famed VA sweetness, but it never truly develops, there are overtones of hay and other 'botanical' type scents. It is a 'proper' tobacco and therefore is a quality leaf offering no problems with packing, lighting and keeping lit... if smoked with a modicum of care it will be very well behaved and leave just a little ash and hardly any moisture. There is not much of an aftertaste either; not ashy or earthy but what I assume is plain VA. It is very dry and I should think would benefit from being smoked at tea-time on a croquet lawn in the English summer afternoon with a cup or two of Darjeeling.

I must say I prefer the nutty creaminess of a Burley blend like University Flake but this is a fine tobacco with a reasonable room note.

Just not capable of being an everyday smoke.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

This is a blend that I would describe as not bad but not worth to keep on hand. It has an odd perfumey aroma in the tin and smoke. I find it to be somewhat monochromatic in that its flavor pretty much stayed the same through the bowl. It burns well and fairly cool but just does'nt get my attention. On the other hand I dont't think I would mind a pipe full of this on a rare occasion. For those of you who enjoy a perfumey, flowery kind of smoke, you may enjoy this. Just not the kind of blend that I would gravitate towards.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I have smoked about a dozen bowls of this, all in the same group 2 prince, and think that I have finally put together my thoughts on this. Initially, I was a bit disappointed because the blend was not what I expected. I had been looking for an oriental/VA when I purchased this. There is no oriental leaf in here that I can taste. However, I have now gotten past that and am comfortable rating it on it?s own merits.

This is different than the usual VA, VA/Perique, and English blends that I smoke. In particular, this has a characteristic perfume odor and taste that lasts for the entire bowl. This was offsetting at first, but I have come to welcome it in the one bowl per week or so that I have been smoking. This is definitely a morning smoke, as the smoke has little body, and is almost non-existent as a 2nd or 3rd bowl. A recent smoke of tobacco that had been opened for about 18 months, and sealed well, resulted in a very rich flavored smoking experience.

The leaf itself is ribbon cut, of medium brown to red color, and packs reasonably well. The tobacco arrives fairly wet out of the tin, but dries quickly, so I do not think that there is much, if any, PG. While drying before smoking is a good idea, the tobacco does not smoke overly wet. It lights well, and stays lit without a lot of effort.

The initial floweriness of the smoke fades as the bowl is smoked, but is never completely gone. I find the bottom of the bowl to become a bit ashy, despite the small size of the pipe in which I am smoking this. However, it smokes down to the bottom, leaving a nice dry ash. The ashy taste at the bottom is reduced by tighter packing and by letting to tobacco dry out more before smoking.

This holds a fairly unique place in my rotation, and is a change of pace blend. I don?t plan on cellaring this, but may buy it again. It is certainly a nice change of pace.

April 2002, updated July 2002, January 2004

GaryScott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GaryScott (8)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This is, for me, a difficult smoke. It comes too moist for pleasant smoking, but if I dry it too much, it tickles my throat in an unpleasant way one might associate with ashy, drugstore blends.

When I manage to get the moisture right, it burns nicely ? down to an almost non-existent, gray ash with few relights ? and it shows the unique sweetness of Virginias, but it has little more going for it and it?s a bit too soft for me. It?s definitely not a good outdoor smoke because its relatively mild flavor literally gets blown away with the wind.

Overall, it?s a tobacco that lingers in my rotation, but gets a visit only a once a month or so. Generally, I prefer something more complex.

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)

I was at a tobacconist months ago and I saw this tin on the shelf. I came back recently and it was still there. I might as well give it a shot, I thought to myself. Upon opening the tin the smell reminded me of a combination of University Flake and Erinmore Flake. I enjoy both of these tobaccos so it was no problem. The tobacco seemed to be moist but it burned well in my pipe. The flavour was quite sweet, bordering on aromatic. As a matter of fact because of the tobacco's sweetness I might categorize this tobacco as an aromatic if I had to make the choice. The flavour remained constant throughout the pipe and changed little which I'll admit I was a bit disappointed with. Smoking tobacco should be a trip, not a destination. The tobacco was unoffensive, and enjoyable, but to a degree unremakable. If this tobacco were a song it'd be a chart topper in the 80's probably by Tiffany. Catchy in a bubble-gum sort of way, but give it a year or so and you forget it. I'm not saying that I want my tobaccos to hold me by my ankes and shake me 'till change falls out of my pockets, but I appreciate a bit of edge that this tobacco seems to be lacking.

Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

This blend is a mess. While it is somewhat enjoyable due to the good tobacco used, it seems like these wonderful ingredients were just thrown together with the hope that it might be alright. I found this blend too be unique and tasty at first, but quickly became boring and underwhelming to say the least. The Virginia used is sweet enough to finish the tin, but I doubt I'll buy another.

mesacactus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mesacactus (21)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I first smoked this blend, soon after I somked a bowl of Erinmore. For those that don't know, Erinmore must be one of the most intense tasting tobaccos ever made. Very sweet, very aromatic, and very hard to discribe flavor wise. It was to much, which brings me back to Holmes. When I opened the tin of Sherlock Holmes Blend for the first time, I was not too impressed. The aroma coming forth from the tin, could best be described as musty. At first I thought I had a bad tin, but I was assured by my tobacconist, that was the way it should smell. So, I filled my pipe, applied fire, and I was in heaven. I thought I found the best tobacco in the world. The flavor reminded me of Erinmore, but less so. It burned very cool, and the taste, I could only discribe as Flower Like, but with a good bit of tobacco flavor always coming through. I smoked Sherlock for almost three months as my regular tobacco, until one day, I bought a tin, which was bad, or at least not what I had been smoking. It was just bad. Maybe, I just got sick of the stuff, or maybe it realy was bad. Soon after though, I turned away from aromatics, and discovered my true love. English! So I must credit old Holmes for directing me to English blends. Maybe, just maybe, he knew all along I should have gone there. It would be just like Holmes, to allow me to deduce it for myself?

Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have often referred to this tobacco in reviewing other blends, but for some reason had not come round to specifically expressing my opinion about it. On and off, I have smoked about three tins of Sherlock Holmes. IMO this a good quality Virginia, but with a flavor and a structure that, as a whole, I find strange, watery and bland. It has a kind of sweetness that does not really hit the mark for me, and I have not been able to reach that point where the tobacco?s body and structure merge with the palate creating a harmonious unity. So far, every time I have smoked SH the flavor ends in an elusive and ghostly fashion, with a grassy undertone.

Though they are entirely different, for me the experience of smoking SH is similar to that of University Flake: unexciting and conflicting (there is a ?something? there, but I just cannot seem to get to it, thus making it very frustrating). Maybe I should try this some more, because I do acknowledge the quality of the leaf and the excellent craftsmanship of the blend. So far, however, I am not convinced.

Dulcimerman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dulcimerman (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend arrives a bit damp in the tin. It lights well however and remains lit with little effort. It has little to no tongue bite and smokes cool. The aroma is a delightful apricot that leaves a pleasant room note that my wife really likes. Although the flavor is rather monochromatic throughout the bowl - I really like the change of pace that this blend offers. It offers a rather unique taste and aroma compared to my other tobaccos. I find it a pleasant late-night smoke. I would recommend this blend to anyone looking for a mild, steady, change of pace tobacco. Neat tin artwork also.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

A nice tobacco with great burning characteristics ruined by that damned English talcum-powder/stewed-fruit flavor and aroma. A shame.

Commons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Commons (18)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend by Peterson is purported to be of the kind that was popular during the days of Sherlock Holmes. I purchased it, of course, on the assumption that it wasn't of the sort that the fictional detective himself normally smoked -- the cheapest, strongest tobacco he could lay his hands on!

The tobacco is a finely cut blend of light browns and yellows. A whiff of the tin aroma reminded me of a bag of trail mix at first until I realized it was the dried apricots in particular that I was thinking of. In fact, my favourite herbal tea is apricot, so it was hopeful that I might enjoy this blend since it smelled much the same.

As it would turn out, this is the best of the "dried fruit blends" that I've tried (prunes and raisins for Black Anchor and Dunhill Mild Blend respectively). I enjoyed it for the most part at the outset (and it did, in fact, smoke with an apricot flavour). Midway I found the taste growing a bit tiresome, but near the end I had learned to appreciate it, even though I was having trouble keeping it from burning too hot. There's still something about the dried fruit aspect that I find generally disagreeable in tobacco, but this may be the blend that wins me over.

Padraig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Padraig (10)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Maybe it's just the fact that I like ol' Sherlock. There is very little tounge bite in this nice, flavorful blend of pedigree tobaccos. Lights well, burns well, tastes good. It was foggy on the golf course last Sunday so I sat and waited with a vintage Peterson and a nice pince of Sherlock Holmes and watched the fog lift on the course and in my head. Such memories will not soon leave me. I'll be back for more....

Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't think Holmes would like this blend, though he could identify the left over ashes. :) This is a blecky...yeah I said blecky, creation. I'd like to get my hands on the stash Holmes has in the slipper on the mantelpiece though. This is a bland, wimpy smoke producing blend. Never again, but I'm sure you deduced that.

Smoke in Peace.

PAmersmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PAmersmoker (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I liked this tobacco but the tin I recieved had been a gift from a store who was not using it. As such the tin was already opened and had seen a little drying. I did find this tobacco mild and a nice pleasant smoke.

Grandad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grandad (8)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

When I opened the tin, it smelt like snakebite, that alcoholic beverage of cider mixed with blackcurrant, so already I wasn't too keen. I found this tobacco very hard to get along with. If you're the pipe smoker who likes to constantly puff away on your pipe then this is for you.

Straight from the tin, I was constantly relighting and having to puff away like a mad man. I let it dry a little and tried again but still found myself constantly re-lighting and puffing away like a mad man. Then I let it dry completely, tried again and it was @!?#... I even tried different combinations of loose and tight packings but no matter how I packed it, in the end it still felt like I was trying to suck for air, through a straw, in a vacuum!

When I did finally manage to get a perfect light, I found the nicotine strength to be very weak, there was barely any flavour and the room note was dreadful. In fact, when I smelt the bowl of my pipe, I could have sworn somebody's cat had Pi@#ed in it!?

This was the most frustrating tobacco I have ever come across and for this reason I will never buy it again. It's also the last time I take a recommendation from the shop assistant.

It could have been a bad tin but I'm not wasting another tenner to find out. Thank Jeebus I still had half a tin of Irish Whiskey to take the pain away!

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

A pleasant floral bouquet of oranges, burnt digestive biscuits (in a nice sense) and a hint of english tea. A quality, steady mild aromatic.

More of a Dr Watson than a Mr Holmes IMO...

Still, as I say, smoke what 'YOU' enjoy.. Not what others say you should.

i was talking utter shite. This abortion of a blend is worth fuck all. Burns hot, tastes like a cup of English tea. What's the point? If Holmes smoked this in fantasy land, then well, he obviously loved it up the wrong un=

smokemonkey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokemonkey (3)

I quite like this light not serious Irish whiskey blend via Denmark (someone said a breakfast smoke and i'd agree), but Holmes wouldn't, not a three pie problem at all, not heavy but a lightish smoke and!! not very good at creating a miasma a thinker needs to solve problems. It's not a bad smoke just misnamed by someone who never read, I suspect any of the journals of the consulting detective Sherlock Holmes; told by Doctor Watson as reported in the Strand magazine..

With out the Holmes connection I'd have given this blend a three star but I love my literature too much to do so.. sorry i can't disassociate the name from the tobacco, so it probably isn't a helpful review; you would really have to know Doyle's books to understand both my references and slight disappointment. .

Pipe Used: parker Rhodesian

Purchased From: specialist tobacconist

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)

I think if Holmes were a real person, he would not be caught dead smoking this blend. Yes, SH smoked cigars, cigarettes and pipes, he always went for the stronger blends. Read the books and find out how many times Dr Watson complained about what Holmes smoked. With that being said, I must say that this is an aromatic that seems in line with the other Peterson aromatics I have tried, they usually suck. It is too moist out of the tin and just does nothing for me except puts gunk in my pipe at the end of the day.