A traditional Irish blend. Burley leafs from Africa, Brazil, India and dark fired Kentucky from Italy, lightly flavored with Irish Whiskey for a unique aroma.

Notes: Due to regulations this is now called "Irish Mixture" in the EU.

BrandPeterson
Taste

Burney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Burney (12)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening the tin was something of a hassle, For these are not readily available in south Africa. Once I had the tin opened, I was surprised by the smell of this tobacco. Very pleasant, nutty, almost reminded me of fermenting custard. (don’t ask!)

The moisture levels was perfect, the tobacco packed perfectly fine, still do for that matter, And smokes mostly dry all the way through.

This tobacco caught me by surprise on the char light, didn't see it coming. Not as if I can see anything coming, being that I cannot see at all.

Peterson Irish Whiskey takes to a match like my wife to chocolate. Second match and it was smooth sailing strait threw the bowl. The Whiskey is very subtle, almost shy. Dominated by something rather smoky. I first thought it was Latakia, but I discovered it was not, due to the fact my pipe did not smell of Latakia after-the-fact. I was pretty happy with this discovery though.

Peterson’s Irish whiskey Burns rather cool, but I found it is one of those You could put down for 4 to 5 minutes And just keep going when you pick it up again.

The vitamin N kick took me totally off guard the first go around, to such an extent that I had to stay seated for a few minutes after my smoke.

Obviously being blind makes it rather difficult to read the info on the tin, so there you have it, a totally blind review of Peterson’s Irish Whiskey.

Age When Smoked: New.

Purchased From: Wesleys, rosebank store.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Irish Whiskey is a blend only a true pipe smoker with years of experience can really appreciate. You newbys should steer clear until you develop some hairs on your chest! Lots of nicotine in this blend! It contains mostly virginias, but has enough burley to keep the smoke cool. The light misting of whiskey is barely detected, but slower puffing will bring the flavor to the forefront.

If you enjoy smoking 4 or 5 bowls a day, this may not be the blend for you. Though gentle on the tongue, it gives the palate a good pasting, and you will feel the presence of the smoke for several hours after completing your pipe load.

The nicotine content will satisfy the veteran and cross the eyes of the neophyte. Enjoy!

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Mild Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

The taste and aroma is full on this one. With a little patience you'll discover burley at his best mix with whatever else (in this case Kentucky). Whiskey is here but... you'll not notice if you already are after one glass of it, so if you wanna discover, try cognac or whatever else alcoholic drink. It burn evenly with no effort and you can let away the pipe for 3-4 min in discussion with no problems

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (26)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have tried several whiskey flavored tobaccos and I must say this one is superb! The flavor and strength are in perfect harmony in this offering. I have smoked 4 bowls of this today, and have dedicated one of my best briars to this tobacco. For me, this is without a doubt an all day smoke. It burns well, taste great, and is absolutely spectacular! This will be a mainstay for me, and I highly recommend this tobacoo. It is not too strong, but not too weak, the burley peaks out from the liquor casing and it just gets better the further down the bowl you go...

Pipe Used: briar

Purchased From: smoking pipes

The bold earthy nuttiness of the burleys is the star component. The dark Kentucky is an important minor player that offers some smoky woodiness and a mild spice. Though Virginia is not listed in the description, I'm sure it is here in some capacity because I get some grassy sweetness that I don’t think comes from the burleys. The Irish whisky is mild, and not always very noticeable. It seems to shine a little more when you puff slow, and I recommend a slow cadence to avoid potential harshness or cigarette notes. The flavor is fairly consistent. Has a medium nic-hit. Burns at a normal rate if you let it, and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. Needs a few relights, and has a pleasant after taste that lingers a little. Same goes for the room note. Not an all day smoke.

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (54)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Realy nice blend. No tongue bite, nice aroma and slight notes of sweetness on the tongue. Also nice room note. I even went out to buy another tin - easy one of my new favorites. I prefer more strenght so that didn't bother me. Notes of the whisky flavour but not too strong.

Pipe Used: Stanwell & Bari

Purchased From: JJ Cale Tobacconist

Hitchhiker42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hitchhiker42 (2)
Overwhelming Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Coming from Ireland I can vouch for the Irish Whisky notes in this blend. Others said they could not detect it but it is definitely there. The taste upon initial lighting is like Bushmills Honey blend. The tobacco is overpowering to smoke and hindered by a harsh cigarette-y nature. I found this difficult to enjoy, even in small quantities. It burns hot straight out of the tin and rewards smokers with a good deal of tongue bite. There is a nutty note to the burley--one of the few redeeming qualities--but the dry cigarette character of the bowl makes this a tough one to like. The nicotine hit is even stronger than Condor, another Irish blend. I think I will give this one a pass in the future. It tastes like a dry pack of Winstons you found under the seat of your car. If I could offer one suggestion to Petersons I would say this blend needs to be cut in half with some good black cavendish. That would mellow out the rough, biting nature of this harsh overpowering blend.

Pipe Used: Peterson's, German briar

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: Peterson's, Dublin

Similar Blends: Winston Cigarettes.

Old at heart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old at heart (9)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In short - an enigma.

The whiskey note is very subtle as previously noted, it tends to pair quite well with a speyside whiskey. Personally i think this is enjoyed best with a sweet dark coffee to help bring out the whiskey sweetness.

It will forever remind me of a winter spent roaming the remote highlands with little in my bag bar this baccy , some coffee and and sometimes a small flask of glenmorange or even some bourbon. Its not very exciting truth be told , but it burns well and is reliable - a moderate strength tobacco best enjoyed on a dark night.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)
Medium Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

Thanks to the "great new world" it's not called "Irish Whiskey" anymore, no it's "Irish Mixture" now.....insanity at it's best!

Anyways Peterson Irish WHISKEY: Virginias, Burleys, dark fired Kentuckys - does it remind you of another Peterson blend? Yes, Irish Flake has exactly the same ingridients and I have to say, both share quite a few similarities regarding the taste of the Burleys and Kentuckys.

Tin note is delightful, even tho dominated by the flavoring The flavoring is hard to describe, yet I'd say it has slight (fermented) fruit notes, malt, and lots of a honey-sweet/sugary note to it. The malt-note is what I guess supposed to come from the "Whiskey flavouring", which doesn't smell, nor taste like Whiskey, nor alcohol at all! It just slightly resembles the scent of a Bourbon (that's a good thing to me, as I don't like alcohol for it's effects, but like the smell and taste of a fine Whisk(e)y). EDIT: After storing the tobacco for ~2 months in its tin, the flavoring diminished quite a bit and the tobacco steps forward a tad.

Appetizing appereance. Fine ribbons of medium- to (very) dark-brown leafs are pressed very densly into the tin. Comes in perfect smoking condition right out of the tin and is rather on the dry side for a tobacco with a flavoring. Easy to pack, easy to light and keep lit.

Irish Whiskey´s most noticeable tobaccos (which are competing with the flavouring) are Burley and dark fired Kentucky. The added Virginia rounds the edges and supports the flavoring very well with it's natural sweetness, as well as earthy and citrusy-fresh tones by times. Burley and dark fired Kentucky melt into a delicious melange that offers rich and intense notes of slightly smoky wood, bursting nutty flavours and pleasing tanginess & spice. Hints of cigar now and then. The tobacco components remind me a bit of Irish Flake.

The flavouring is rather strong, but in a unobtrusive way, and I'd consider this an "semi-aromatic", as the flavouring isn't as strong as in the tin smell and leaves plenty of room of the tobacco to shine. I'd describe it as 50% tobacco / 50% flavouring in the taste. The flavouring itself offers (fermented) fruits, which remind me of tangerines and raisins, as well as a decent share of malty notes and a tad of honeyish sweetness maybe. No Whiskey, not even really reminiscent of Whiskey to be honest - BUT it's a very tasty and very refined flavouring that's never obtrusive, nor artificial in any way. I only bought this, because reviews stated it wouldn't taste like Whiskey or alcohol - and it really doesn't. It has plenty of malt-notes, enough tobacco taste that is in balance with the added flavours, and enough "punch" to keep me interested and satisfied.

This blend has a VERY creamy smoke, really, especially on the first quarter of the bowl, I get the feeling of real milk-cream, which I find very, very pleasant. I describe a lot of other blends as "creamy", but this blend is LITTERLAY creamy.

Even tho this is a rather strong smoke, it's well suitable for any time of the day imo, as it offers enough sweet, malty and slightly fruity flavours, to not be overwhelming for a smoker that's used to some Vitamin-N.

Room note as stated by my girl is just like the tin note - very pleasing! So this seems like an alternative for people whom like Kentucky-forward blends, but have to take care of his surroundings (which I luckily don't have to, but still this is an issue for a lot of pipers)

3 stars, as it doesnt quite hold up to it's name (no Whiskey), and isn't the most sophisticated blend I got to smoke. Yet it is one of the better blends out there, especially compared to other blends with "Whiskey" flavouring (f.e. Borkum Riff....). Not a blend I always keep a tin at hand, but I surely will grab a tin again by times.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe / Various Briars

Similar Blends: Share a few nuances with "Peterson Irish Flake" regarding the taste of the Burley and Kentucky..

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (60)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Conclusion: Great stuff. I intended to review this the time I got my first tin. But before I knew it it was gone. Finished. I just enjoyed it so much that I was all out before I had gotten around to it. But this is a great tobacco. Full of flavour, enough nicotine to make it noticeable, but not to make me drowsy. One of those suitable for any moment, but I prefer it in the spring and summer; it is warm, smooth and flavourful. Highly recommended.

Taste: First light gives off a slight sweetness reminiscent of vanilla, mixed with a grassy bitterness. It is light and smooth. Pretty quickly it deepens and traces of white pepper are added. Reminds me slightly of vanilla ice cream with white pepper, but not overly so. A detect a woody note, and around the halfway mark there is some leather as well. After that it actually takes on quite a dark character, and I almost find the alcohol a bit more pronounced, but I am not sure that it is the topping. Rather it appears that the parts of the blend come together in a way that reminds me of a glass of whiskey; sweet, ever so slightly abrasive, creamy and chest warming. By now, the grassy note is gone. There is a complexity to this, where none of the flavours are too loud but lends itself to the seeker.

Mechanics: Ribbon cut, perfect moisture from the tin. No bite. Medium nicotine.

Pipe Used: Various briars and cobs

Similar Blends: Haunted bookshop.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable

This is a labor of love, but worth the work it needs to get it.

At first, its damp, kinda tasteless and one dimensional. You try and try to get the whiskey going, or get some depth into it, and you push and push......for nothing.

However, I took a bigger bowl pipe, went outside with it to where there was nothing else crossing my scent detector but this, and sat there.

Then I got it, and it made perfect sense.

This is strong, subtle and refined genius. The flavors are placed here like clues, they don't shout, they whisper, they coral around each other and come out in small and perfect doses. Big and loud this is not, this is soft and cool and confident in how it delivers it goodness.

If you want a flavor smack, try elsewhere, if you want to sit and sip old scotch that you savor for 2 hours, step right in and load up.

Careful of the nic though, such quiet confidence wards off people looking for a fix in cruel ways, as it did me on the first occasion.

Pipe Used: Big Billard

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Oh HELL YES. This is exactly what I was looking for. Just finished a tin of The Royal Yacht and was looking for a good replacement to accompany my mornings of coffee and a reading. Something was going on with this blend as its usually plentiful but when I went to order, 3 of my usual 4 tobacconist had it sold out.

Scored a tin from PipesandCigars. Thanks guys you rock. Loaded my Peterson XL305. The flame took to the bacca like a fat girl to a pizza. This is a great tasting burley blend with great aroma and room note. I don't consider this an aromatic but a good solid natural tobacco blend with a topping. The topping shows and is wonderful for this Irishman. And, yes it's a great Irish Whisky flavor. It adds interest with sweetness and flavor to an already quality and pleasant burley blend. Nice nicotine kick to give it that morning punch. I already like it better than Royal Yacht because it taste more natural. RY though good, had a unnatural chemical taste to it. Irish Whiskey is a man's tobacco. It will put hair on your chest.. so if you are a female fellow piper and smokes Irish Whiskey watch out… or email some pics…. ;) I will give it 4 stars as I can't find anything negative to this blend. Its just right for me. However if you aren't looking for this style of blend you will be disappointed. Happy smoking fellow pipers.. Smoke it up!

Pipe Used: Peterson XL305

Purchased From: PipesandCIgars.com

Similar Blends: The Royal Yacht..

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (29)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

The funny thing about this tobacco is that, although I'm not a burley man, I quite like IW. It's been in my rotation now for at least 12 months and I still did not get tired of it. It's quality tobacco, it's a pure and honest tobacco and it tastes like TOBACCO should. Although I believe it's flavoured with whisky, I can't taste it. There is a bit of sweetness, which as a virginia fan, I like. No tongue bite, easy to light and burns evenly right through to the bottom of the bowl. All in all it's the kind of tobacco any piper should have in his/her collection.

Edit 27/05/2014: I've spiced IW with about 30% granulated perique and now I have one lovely tobacco!

Pipe Used: Savinelli Pisa

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Curiosity Hut

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Burley. Chemical casing purporting to taste like whiskey. Mmmmmm...

I LOVE Irish whiskey wisely and well, but would rather sip it neat out of a glass, while smoking something far more entertaining than this.

Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Peterson - Irish Whiskey.

A review I've re-typed, it read a bit poorly!

Quite evenly sized ribbons with an o.k. amount of moisture: a touch too moist, but not dreadfully so. It's easy to ignite, and gives a relatively cool smoke that's free from bite. The smoke didn't taste as heady with whiskey as the tin-note had me anticipating; when I took a sniff I'd expected the whiskey to totally domineer it but it only gently flavours the smoke. The Burley accounts for a large proportion of the tobacco flavour, with the Virginia making up far less of it. For some reason I also get a very nebulous floral note.

The nicotine's pretty strong, to me, and the room-note's only pleasant-ish.

Although I don't particularly favour whiskey blends, the mildness separates this.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Various

Calamiti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calamiti (66)
Strong Very Mild Full Very Pleasant

Remarks by many reviewers that whiskey is better sipped from a glass than smoked from a pipe are absolutely right. Upon opening the tin I smelled that toffee-like "whiskey" essence that recalled in my mind the horrors of Borkum Riff Highland and the rest of its "whiskey"-scented aromatic kind.

Luckily my apprehensions turned out to be wrong as the flavoring didn't transfer to the taste. Instead, the lighting invoked a cloud of complex Burley and Kentucky aromas, nutty and smoky, giving a thick smoke and a very pleasant room note.

The weed is quite strong and rich in taste, newbies most probably won't like it but for a seasoned pipe-smoker it could become a favourite blend. It comes rather dry out of the tin, tends to smoke hot and may bite viciously if approached with no proper respect.

Highly recommended for an experienced pipe-smoker.

Pipe Used: Peterson Aran 268, Hardcastle Bent Bulldog

Pipenick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipenick (27)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I'm gonna keep it short.Got a 6 months ago a tin of IW.Opened the tin Nice nutty aroma from the Burley,but no whiskey.When I reached half bowl the whiskey flavor came in,lingering adding a nice sweetness.Kentucky is giving strenght and body.Not for the beginners.Good vitamin N level.I would say it's not a aromatic just straight juicy Burley based blend with suble whiskey casing.Bought today a another tin.Nice change after longer period with heavy English latakia blends.This blend is good with morning coffee or at the evening with a glass of malt.Recomended

Pipe Used: Pete's ashford,Stanwell's Bulldog

Purchased From: a Gift

dustoff56 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dustoff56 (10)
Medium Very Strong Full Pleasant

This was the very first tobacco I ever bought. Not knowing anything and the store owner not being any help I chose this. tasted great but it had lots of bite and seamed very spicy on the tongue. I tossed it and bought cherry cavendish.

mightysmurf8201 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mightysmurf8201 (24)

Tin note hinted at a mellow whiskey flavor, which was inviting. Moisture level was just right out of the tin. Thin ribbons pack easily and stay lit. A light burley flavor is noticable with a touch of VA. The whiskey flavor was quite subtle, but tasted pretty good. Nic level is noticable but I didn't get the nic kick that others spoke of, might be because I tend to lean heavily towards more robust blends like VAPers, so blends like this don't phase me. I'll definitely finish the tin, but not sure if I'd buy this again. It's a decent blend, just not something my palate gets too excited over, but I recommend it for those who like blends that are middle of the road in most respects.

Pipe Used: Cob, Briars

Macker56 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Macker56 (3)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Highly anticipated smoking this tobacco since I love Irish Whiskey.Tobacco has a nice dark color and a sweet aroma in the tin. Tobacco feels slightly moist but packs into the pipe nicely. The charring light doesn't reveal any special flavor,actually I can't detect any whiskey flavor at all. The tobacco quickly takes on a harsh almost cigarette like flavor. I have left this tin to age and have noticed the harshness has subsided. Nice go between an aromatic and non-aromatic.

Pipe Used: Molina bent rhodesian

Purchased From: Emersons Tobacco

Old6String Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old6String (27)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Strong

First bowl: high hopes, first Peterson blend I've tried, anticipated a flavorful, enjoyable smoke......

First light: nothing much to brag about, mid bowl, ok, where's the flavor?....End of bowl, wait a minute, did I just smoke a cigarette?

Second bowl: pretty much same as the first one. The "nic" is definitely there, but so is the taste of cigarettes. I'm not a fan of cigs. That's why I smoke a pipe.

I'm not really sure about this blend. I don't like wasting anything but this one just doesn't do it for me. I guess I could mix something with it but I'm afraid that the ciggy notes will play through anyways.

Will not purchase again. Disappointed.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Purchased From: JR Cigar

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (39)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Nicely cut ribbons primarily med brown. Tin note is wonderful. Subtle sweetness with that aroma of fermented tobacco. Tin moisture is perfect for immediate smoke. Lights easily and stays lit whilst sipping from top to bottom. Mild sweet notes with beautiful flavours of the host tobaccos. The casing is by no means over powering.

Not a "wow" factor tobacco, but a nice smoke nonetheless.

Pipe Used: Several Pete's

Purchased From: Jades Smokers Corner

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (23)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Unnoticeable

One of the lovely blend of Peterson great pipe tobacco test so mild and sweet, flavored with Irish Whiskey born easy with great smell I suggest every pipe smoker should try it cos become your favorite after one try :)

Pipe Used: Alpascia

Age When Smoked: 39

Purchased From: Davidoff shop Brussels

Similar Blends: Sherlock Holmes.

Jdor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jdor (15)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I was quite new to pipe smoking when I got my IW tin, and it ceirtainly surprised me with it's nicotine content. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it a lot! It was my first experience with real tobacco taste, so I was smoking slowly, tasting the unique characteristics of burley leaves and feeling the change in tones. It was a great experience.

Upon opening the tin, I could smell the whiskey topping among the nutty burleys. While smoking though, the aroma was subte, being barely noticeable after the first half of the bowl. Packing is really easy, and I had no trouble with tongue bite.

Definitely gonna buy this one again! (and soon, I think I got about one pipefull left only)

JBirish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JBirish (1)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Now, I'm somewhat new to pipe, 10 months, but this blend seams a little...rough? I was expecting a little more flavor and a more pleasant room note.

When I opened the tin it smelled delicious and had a heavy nutty smell. My wife loves that smell so that's great but the smells changes so very much when smoking. It however dose not burn too hot at all if smoked leisurely.

As I said the taste is not really a whiskey taste which is disappointing. I love Irish whiskey so much but it, to me, had no taste of whiskey at all but it's not way too bad.

All and all, I may get it again and mix it with my Irish cream blend.

I really enjoyed this one. I am not really sure if I even picked up any taste of whiskey at all, but I am sure it was there. If you are looking for a lot of whiskey flavor I think this could leave you disappointed. This, to my tastes was sort of like an Irish Flake Light. Although I didn't enjoy it as much as IF, I did prefer it to University Flake.

To me it is just a fine tasting burley blend. If I had any complaints it would be that my pipe tended to get a little hot and gurgly, but that could just be the pipe I smoked it in. I usually reserve it for mild aros. Definitely recommended to the burley lover.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

I can't taste much whiskey in this blend, but I think I can smell some a bit. I think there is more Virginias then what is let on. But it does not burn hot. It has a great VaBur taste and is around the strengh level I like.

Carlo1986 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlo1986 (22)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Quite good compisition to give some body (I appreciate the amount of Kentucky). The most intense aromatizant is whisky, obviously, with a little of honey or something like this - at the end, whisky disappears. It's a good quality tobacco, but I like other types of Burley-based (surely, Rattray's Stirling Flake, or other more natural).

Pipe Used: Many briars

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Karen XVI Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Karen XVI (1)

Peterson’s Irish whiskey is the one of the traditional Irish blends. Burley leafs from Africa, Brazil, India and dark fired Kentucky from Italy, lightly flavored with Irish Whiskey for a unique aroma.

Pipe Used: Aldo Morelli

Age When Smoked: 28

cynicomen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cynicomen (5)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin: Upon opening the tin of Irish Whiskey, you are greeted predominately by a wonderful, grassy, Virginia smell. There is also this "dried fruit" smell, which very much reminds me of the tin note of Royal Yacht by Dunhill.. There is a slight hint of whiskey, which gives the tin note a caramel, toffee-like hint.

Packing/Lighting: Moisture level is perfect. Will not require drying at all. It packs and lights, and stays lit easily like any ribbon cut.

This blend can get hot if you smoke it too quickly. However, if you "sip" and take your time with it, you will generally get a nice, cool smoke.

Strength: Irish Whiskey is a wonderful blend to smoke, and it is a great tobacco to smoke throughout the day. It has great middle ground as it's not too mild, and it's not too strong. However, if you mostly smoke mild blends, the nicotine might take you by surprise, but it should not be an issue.

Taste/Room Note: Despite the name, it's not an aromatic pipe tobacco. Irish Whiskey is a traditional blend with a very mild whiskey flavouring. The topping is incredibly mild, and is more detectable in the room note than the taste itself.

The room note to me is very pleasant, but for non-smokers, they will probably not care too much for it.

Occasionally, while smoking this blend, you will get a slight caramel/sweet note of the whiskey, similar to the tin note. The blend mainly has a straightforward Virginia taste with its grassy notes, and Burley/Kentucky with its toasty, nutty flavour. That raisin/dried fruit tin note is sometimes there in the smoke as well, it is something you will notice when you spend enough time with this blend. This blend can be "retrohaled" if you wish to pick up on the flavours more.

Final Thoughts:

Like - Good flavour, good volume of smoke and strength. A very satisfying smoke indeed.

Dislike - Whiskey flavouring could've been a bit stronger.

Very dry smoke. Have a drink handy.

Overall, a very fine pipe tobacco. If you're finding that what you're smoking is a bit too mild, give Irish Whiskey a try. You won't be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Peterson D6 Churchwarden

Purchased From: smoke-king.co.uk

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Royal Yacht (taste and aroma).

HobgoblinTA96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HobgoblinTA96 (42)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Another excellent blend from Peterson. More of a Virginia forward English Cavendish than a proper aromatic. The whiskey topping is only present as a back note to the tobacco itself. Both in taste and aroma, being almost undetectable. This blend is quite similar to Peterson Irish Oak with only very minute differences between the two. A superb blend if you prefer tobacco taste over flavoring. I prefer mine with a pinch of Frog Morton. The latikia and orientals in the Frog add a lovely body and character for those wanting more of a Scottish Style smoke. Either way, an excellent blend. Cheers.

Pipe Used: Peterson Calabash & German Black Clay

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 1 Month

Purchased From: Iwan Ries and Pipes & Cigars

kingjj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kingjj (10)
Very Strong Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I received a tin as a gift since I'm fond of it's casing in a bottle, and Stokkebye #2 is my 'everyday' smoke. So while I'm not sure I can add anything the 100 other reviews don't cover, I can make some comparisons to the somewhat simular and much less expensive Stokkebye.

The pouch note smells less like booze and more like cake, much like another irish whiskey blend, Erin Go Bragh. It's a collection of very thinly shredded dark brown tobaccos with a few bright burleys just to mix things up. Straight out of the tin, the blend seemed pretty moist which became extremely apparent on packing, and especially lighting. It was very, very hard to get it to stay lit. And it sports some bite which discourages hard hitting (although not as much bite as the Stokkebye #2).

Once I (finally) got it going, I was treated to a very middle-of-the-road smoke. That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you. It seems that Peterson is going for a very mild smoke, and that's exactly what they achieve. Mild, smooth, with very subtle casing. Notes of honey and caramel. Oddly, no vanilla. Which is the note irish whiskey is somewhat famous for. It does pack a lot of vitamin N for a aromatic (although I think not as much as the Stokkebye, although the jury's still out on that matter. At any rate, it's close).

All in all, a mild, pleasent smoke that gets the job done in the nicotine department. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the blend, but there's also nothing so right that compels one to indulge it's higher price tag on the regular.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie Drinkless

Age When Smoked: Brand New

Purchased From: Gift

Similar Blends: Stokkebye #2, #38, Erin Go Bragh.

North by North Best Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
North by North Best (4)
Strong Mild Full Strong

Bought a tin of Irish Whiskey on a whim, thinking it would be a flavorful aromatic... Well, I should have looked it up first, because it is definitely not what I expected! The tin note was pungent and plum-cakey, not unpleasant, but I couldn't detect a trace of whiskey. This is a strong burley blend with a big vitamin N hit. Not for the faint of heart. All in all, I enjoyed the blend, but it was not particularly memorable. I look forward to trying more Peterson blends, but I don't think I will be acquiring any more of this particular mix.

Pipe Used: Medico Esquire

Purchased From: B&M

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm changing my review of this. I keep trying this over the years, trying to find a strongish semi-aromatic (that isn't a Lakeland) to smoke in front of my wife, who tolerates only so much of my preferred English blends, Scottish blends, and Va/Pers. She doesn't like Royal Yacht either (she loves Condor, Conniston, Rum Flake too).

This non Lakeland semi-aromatic used to be University Flake but this just doesn't work for me anymore.

I never can get around to the good side of this tobacco. It is only mildly cased like Whisky. But in a way between pure Burly and pure aromatics this exists in a no man's land, where there isn't enough aromatic taste/smell, nor is there enough natural burly taste (for taste see Solani), plus it can smoke hot.

If this sounds like a vague review it is because this blend promises a lot and doesn't quite deliver for me. But I can see where it might deliver for some people, so I'm giving it two stars.

So far, the only Peterson tobacco that really rings my bell is Irish Oak, which is in the top two of my 10+ rotation.

Similar Blends: A poor man's Royal Yacht, with reduced strength and added burly, plus a half hearted whisky topping..

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is decent, but boring. It burns very well, down to grey ash. The bite is present, but minimal. The aroma is very faint, but not unpleasant. I've tasted a few whiskeys, and this does not taste like whiskey. There's almost no nicotine hit to this. I guess it's "OK", but I won't be buying it again.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Loving Irish Whiskey's as I do-Tullamore Dew in a French-pressed coffee is fantastic btw, I thought I'd at least like this aro. It's my third aro from Peterson, and CC was a 3 , SB a 2, but if I could give IW a zero, that's what it would get. I tried drying it out, even heeding the advice here of leaving the tin open x 2 days.

Nothing helps this horribly harsh nasty tasting stuff. I can't tell if its strong or the harshness of it makes me think its strong. Smells lightly of Peterson casings, but no taste, other than crap.

Doesn't turn me off of Peterson's, as UF is a top 5 of mine. I'm going to try Irish Flake to see if its an Irish thing...

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

A few years ago i bought my first tin of Irish Oak ( with the old label ) and did not think much of that blend to be honest.

It is only recently that i discovered that it was actually Irish Whiskey i was smoking and Petersons had mixed up the tin lids.

I would never buy an Alcohol flavoured blend, i do not drink and do not know what Whiskey is supposed to taste like, I will therefore rate this tobacco for how it smoked.

I did find the topping to cause nausea, it had an annoying lingering taste that i really did not enjoy at all. As expected with Petersons, leaf quality and presentation was impeccable.

This blend was not something i enjoyed but i am sure pipesmokers who can appreciate the taste of Whiskey could enjoy it.

YMMV

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, this was a bowl full of meh. It smelled ok, but the taste was pretty boring. I want my latakia or va flakes back!

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really did not enjoy this blend. It seemed too artificial; not just because it's an aromatic, as there are some aromatics that I really like.

I smoked it straight out of the tin, and after letting it dry. I was really hoping to like it. But for whatever reason, I disliked the taste. This just did not agree with me.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (58)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love the taste of this stuff. The only problem I have is keeping it lit after 3/4 the way down. I don't really smell the whiskey, either. Still and all I love it. Maybe it's my inexperiance but I had no problem with keeping Irish Oak lit (which I love as well.) This tobacco will give you a little buzz for sure, which I like. So far I've really enjoyed all Peterson's tobacco I've tried. I'm looking to get my hands on Irish Flake next.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (101)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Part of the description says "Virginia Based". But then it also says Burley from Africa,India, Italy and Dark fired from Kentucky. Dark fired is not Virginia, it's Dark Fired leaf that is not Virginia tobacco. Dark fired is technically not Burley either but more like Burley than not. So Pipestud, there is no Virginia in this blend. :) It's all brown Burley, and like another reviewer noted," it has a cigarette taste". The taste is sharp and the whisky lightly soothes and trys to mellow the mixture into a smokable concoction. The nicotine is way over the top. I know what this is. It's Five Brothers with Jameson Irish Whisky sprayed on it. I'll give it another try in a week and see how it goes. Right now I can honestly say that it's just not to my liking.

Pipe Used: Ashton Canadian.

Age When Smoked: new.

Purchased From: Tinder Box store.

janim1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
janim1 (2)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Wonderful, just wonderful. Peterson Irish Whiskey produces smooth and rich smoke. The whiskey in this blend brings nice sweetness to this tobacco, not much taste of whiskey, but hey, Whiskey belongs in your glass not in your tobacco =). In typical Peterson style, this is strong both in flavor and in nicotine content. This was my everyday smoke, but then i noticed that my tin was empty.... This one is something that i will keep on buying more and more.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula X105

radioisotope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
radioisotope (17)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is great stuff and is always in my rotation. It has a great amount of nic and tobacco flavor for me and pleasant smell for my wife. She begs me to smoke it around her. It's the perfect compromise. Thanks irish whiskey, you saved my marriage!

Pipe Used: Mesut meerschaum

owengeorge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
owengeorge (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Beautifully presented, upon opening the tin, the sharp smell of whiskey is fairly strong. However contrary to the darkness of the tobacco, the experience is fairly mild. Nice and sweet tasting, not sure I can pick up on the whiskey in the smoke itself. Not a real presence in the room; not unpleasant, but not a particularly aromatic room note.
Nice an slow burning for a relaxing smoke with minimal relighting.
Very pleasant mix.

Pipe Used: Casini bent billiard

Purchased From: La Casa Del Habano, Teddington

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (43)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

fairly harsh tobacco flavor and that's about all i got out of it. after a full tin in different pipes on different days at different times of those days over a month it presented itself to me as burley at one its weaker moments. others obviously enjoy and that's great. if i'm going to smoke burley that isn't of the "chocolatey" variety then i'll take MacB's ODF or Solani's burley flake any time over this.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After smoking this blend for a while I just keep enjoying it more! The main flavors I get are sweet and nutty, and the whiskey is very subtle. It makes me a little buzzy, but not enough so as to knock me flat. Would definitely recommend this blend and keep a tin handy.

erthbound0 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erthbound0 (9)

The smell out of this tin is delicious. One of the most natural sweet smelling tins I've ever smelled, with an ever so slight hint of whiskey and a lot of creme smell. Awesome

It burned perfectly all the way down the bowl. No moisture build up, easy to get started and stay lit.

The taste is not something that punches you in the face, but it is there and a very good light smoke. Gets even better down the bowl. It is really growing on me and I find myself craving it in the mornings.

Room note is very light for those looking not to reek up a room.

Definitely worth a try.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (24)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First of all it needs to be said that there is hardly any whiskey flavoring in this blend. Upon smelling the tin I hint of whiskey can be detected. However, smoking it is a different story. I like to think I'm pretty receptive to aromatic blends, but I cannot taste the whiskey at all. What I do taste is top quality Virginia leaf.

If you're someone who likes only a slight hint of flavoring added to your Virginia blends, this blend is certainly for you. However if you're someone who's looking for a whiskey flavored explosion, avoid this blend.

As for the Virginia's themselves it's a lighter Virginia, not dark and toasty, but more earthy and hayish with a slight, very slight touch of citrus.

No tongue bite and no gargle. Very well-behaved.

As a straight Virginia this blend gets four stars in my opinion, but for an aromatic blend I have to give it only three stars due to the lack of flavoring.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (61)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

50g round tin.

Tin aroma:Opening the tin it smells archetypically 'Peterson' in a familier cavendish aromatic sence,but not so potent as their other aromatic offerings - a slight familier sweetened vanilla-esque/maple syrup-ness factor.

A deeper sniff and i get the richness of the base baccy which is quite vineous/winey like a brighter virginia,and an earthy soily peaty burley with a slight burnt/toasty raisin bun factor(kentucky i presume).

An old peterson product brochure has a more elaborate description of this offering: "A traditional Irish ready rubbed blend renowned for its smooth smoking quality.This blend incorporates various selected Virginia leaf to provide roundness of taste.Kentucky fired,Indian cured and aromatic Thailand Burley are then added to the main blend.Finally a light spray of Irish Whiskey essence gives this tobacco its final unique aroma."

Yes it has a mild whisky ghost essence;this is the second time i have purchased this (@7 years later)because i wanted to revisit this baccy because i found it difficult to finish first time round in my earlier piping days.(i didn't actually like whisky that much at the time,but i had a morbid curiosity to face a challenge when i saw this on the tobacconist shelf;i thought what the hell).

Anyway this new tin is considerably milder on the nose regarding the whisky topping than the first tin thats for sure,but the same taste more or less baccy-wise in the pipe while smoking in the pipe.

This my first pipe re-trial 7 years later is in a red pyrolytic linered synthetic bowl material 1970's "the smoke-village shape"venturi pipe,basically because i think it has the right sympathetic draught for a 'Kentucky'mixture and that it doesn't ghost like a briar if this trial becomes a trial.

Tin appearance:Brown-dark brown slim cut ribbons - i distinctly remember the last tin being more of a rubbed flake appearance,so maybe its changed a little bit(7 years);this new tin seems more rubbed out.

I still have my penciled notes on this written on the Peterson brochure which came with my first 'Peterson rustic bent apple 303'(a nice pipe i havent used in ages)with 'P-lip' and moisture trap stem.

I ordererd the whole range of Peterson tobacco online to give me my first taster of baccy beyond supermarket/service station/newsagent OTC UK brands(some of those Petersons i still make a mandatory purchase of btw.

Evidentally i found this one a challenge at the time and is i suppose a bit of a 'crossover' blend in simular league perhaps to other 'stand alone' enigmatics like their own "Irish Oak",Erinmore Mixture,and maybe Condor ready rubbed.

Old notes: "Tin aroma:of the whiskey you find in cheap sickly liquer chocolates and not like the actual drink at all:Between old spice aftershave,vodka, and a sweet syrupy 'Drambui',but more sort of an artificial synthetic perfume immitation whiskey"..

(this put me off trying other whisky blends for a few years and made me weary of whiskey itself)

More:"room note of mild old bakery spices and bells scotch whisky smelt from a distance. The initial tin aroma soon leaves the tin and doesn't intrude in the smoke as much if left to open air for a couple of days.

The taste of the baccy beneath this whiskey topping(?)is of a very cool neutral alegorically "white" flavour - almost like plain white flour,but not tasteless;actually full and strong but monotone - just sort of natural nice akin to a peat bog watery earthness/water biscuits or rye bread/german pumpernickel. Savoury more than sweet.

Different to any others i have so far tasted,nice strong substratum but totally offensive poor topping,couldn't finish this tin off easy"(wasn't keen on whiskey at the time but hoped this would be an easy smoking equivalent). "Very cool tasting drysmoke,no tongue bite and as cool as a cucumber esp compared to other Peterson aromatics like 'Sweet Killarney'.

Tobacco texture like cool moist compost soil(Irish peat). Aroma sociable enough but sickly whiskey factor spins me out. Quite slow burning,but would be nicer without the whiskey essence which intrudes over a quality tobacco."

(present time)I wanted to like this tobacco at the time because the baccy seemed quite serious and the nicotine seemed quite strong as well.I was smoking this in two extreme pipes at the time:a bavarian briar like a swiss looking mountain folk pipe,and a clay Wilsons churchwarden,the first with quite an open inner draught and the clay with a tight draught smoke tube.

Irish whiskey seemed quite consistant in both obove pipes in taste but milder in the long clay which i eventaully over a year later used to finish the tin off.

I will note that i definately ghosted both pipes,i eventually gave the bavarian pipe away and the long clay toook over a year to let go of the whiskey ghost(everytime i went to use it i would get the vile fake whiskey at certain moments).

2ND Tin review: This second tin is tasting like the first tin after i had really let the first tin air out and age a year - i am currently smoking this strait out of the fresh new tin ok. The chances are that if this new tin was like the first example that i might even like it now because i have more tobacco and whiskey experience,and can accept more robust and tricky smokes and aromas.(funny how things change)

In a way i am dissapointed that this 2nd tin has not got the original aromatic potency of the first one,but its working alright in this intermediate gauge @4mm smoke tube draught pyrolytic pipe.

I get an earthy Burley - mature aged virginia - slight oriental - very Kentucky - and slight sweet Cavendish(the brochure doesn't actually mention Cavendish or Oriental BTW)

A robust full whole wheat factor like a digestive biscuit,toasty sweet bread and a malty brown sugar base,witha a very mild whiskey topping,earthy as Irish peat.

I suppose it tastes a cross between Peterson 'University Flake','Erinmore Flake' and possibly 'Condor Ready Rubbed' if you don't include their applied aromatic properties.

Contains nicotine on par with 'University Flake'.TBH and realistic,i think it was sensible of Peterson to ditch their earlier applied Whiskey essence,because as far as whiskey goes, it was like a confection liqueur blended with vodka mixed with 'old spice' aftershave and pavement vomit..This new incarnation is basically what i would of liked to have smoked first time round and is now a definate repurchaseable candidate for rotation..

Any whiskey drinker with an imagination now has a perfect white canvas from which they can apply their own 'real' whiskey to augment it if they wish.(i got some 'Bells Scotch Blended','Jack Daniels' in the cuboard,,maybe some 'Lambs Navy Rum'). But;even as it is,its fine and i have re-christened this in my mind's tongue as "Petersons Sweet Irish Peat Bog",for an instant memorisation of its overall earthy impression.(I haver about 50 baccies on the go at the moment,so this won't go too quickly).

Knowing this is safe in my ghost repellant pyrolytic venturi pipe,i expect this new incarnation of Irish Whiskey would perform safe and well in my cooler 'falcon' pipes.

This is definately now a 3-star* baccy and i'm glad i revisited it.It has definately improved although i think the original rubbed flake presentation gave a cooler smoke.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

A naturally sweet, rich and warm smoke. There are comparably dark tobaccos in the tin, which pack easily and smoke dry to a white, fine ash without gurgling and getting too hot. Clearly a Burley mixture, with a medium to high dose of nicotine. A tad lighter than 3P or Irish Flake, but richer and more interesting than Sherlock Holmes. Light "whiskey" topping tastes and smells great, slightly floral, spicy and very consistent over the whole bowl. Zero tongue-bite. Great cigarillo-like taste if retrohaled, slightly tingly on the tongue and in the nose. I find the room note to be pleasant, a bit like fresh sawdust. If you like dark, full tastes (like Royal Yacht, Irish Flake, Best Brown Flake), you should try this one. Have to agree with a review below who wrote that IW makes you hungry. I find Burley blends generally be good appetizers. For what it's worth: Peterson's Irish Whiskey is a staple in my rotation.

Grandad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grandad (8)

Being new to pipe smoking and having a love of Irish whiskey, this was my first choice of tobacco and I'm glad it was too! Both the taste and the smell was very pleasant and with only one light, I found this very easy to sit, relax and read a book with. The taste of tobacco I didn't find too overpowering but if you're not used to strong tasting tobacco's, like the taste you get with a good cigar, I'd try something a little more mild first.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Since the latest change to St. Bruno Ready Rubbed(about a year ago now, I think) I have not enjoyed it nearly as much. However, I do not fear, as Peterson's Irish Whiskey makes a fine replacement.

It's not the same as St. Bruno but it is certainly playing in the same ball park. A Virginia and Kentucky blend with a pleasing, yet subtle, sweetness. It has less of the sweet herbal notes which I enjoyed in St. Bruno but brings an added breath of sweet alcohol to the mix. It's not overwhelming, though. At least I didn't find it so. The main player here is definately the mix of Virginia and Kentucky leaf. If you are familiar with the Va/Ky blends from Gawith Hoggarth, G.L.Pease's Cumberland or Peterson's own Irish Flake you'll be recognise some of the charicteristics of this tobacco. It's not floral like the lakeland blends can be, it is sweeter and has less black coffee notes than GLP's Cumberland and it's not nearly as strong in nicotine as Irish Flake but there is some noticable common genetic ground between all of these blends.

The fine, mahogany brown, strands make for easy packing and few relights. This blend is trouble free and genuinely satisfying in both flavour and nicotine.

Recommended.

Taking the advice of some of the other reviewers, I opted to open the tin and let it air out for a few days. I must agree with that approach as it worked well for me. Some may say that it is a “cross-over” blend and not a full on aro and that may be the case as it is on the border, but for me I would classify it as a light aromatic that is pleasantly sweet. I didn't taste a lot of whiskey flavor in the blend although there seems to be a light tin note of whiskey. It doesn't leave my pipe wet and burns cleanly. This is an aro with some kick as Lady N makes herself known, although not in an overpowering way. Considering that Peterson also makes Irish Flake and University Flake, I would gage the nicotine as less than those two blends. Having finished my tin of Irish Whiskey, it was worth the cost of the tin, however I am not sure if it will be making another appearance in the cellar as it was good, but not memorable. Recommended.

DirtbikesAndPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DirtbikesAndPipes (4)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Everyone who dislikes this blend has the same problem, "no whiskey flavor, too strong, smoke casuses coughing, intolerable room note". Literally every one of these problems can be solved by one thing; let the tobacco age for about a month!

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (62)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I've been through almost an entire tin of this tobacco now and I have to say I've enjoyed it. Being of Irish heritage, I'm a sucker for whisky and this blend has just the right flavor of it. It burns pretty evenly and not too quickly. The aroma is well received by those I've smoked it around. Surely worth a go if you like whisky.

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A very pleasant mild aromatic with no tongue bite and cool burn. Like all Peterson tobaccos, the base leaves are top quality, and the mild casing only adds sweetness and a liquor taste to a smoke dominated by burley and complemented by Virginias and Kentucky.

johnson430 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
johnson430 (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This tobacco fails miserably. This is my first Peterson and I can say that I am very disappointed. Dry and weak smelling in the tin. There is no whiskey smell in this blend, none. This has an odd tin smell, almost like someone with stinky feet took off their shoes. Dank and unbecoming. The smell makes me NOT want to smoke this blend. The flavor matches the smell. Odd and uninviting. Do not waste your money on this. If you want to try this wait till you meet a schmuck like me and ask me for my tin, I would be happy to get rid of this trash.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Irish Whiskey by Peterson (K&K current production) has been a very pleasant surprise.

It belongs to the list of the tobaccos in the British/Irish vein, opposed the the several Danish aromatics of the same brand (what the heck do Danish aros have to do with Peterson ?). It's place in the scale seems just in between of Sherlock Holmes and University Flake.

It comes moist in the tin, but not to the point of being unsmokable. I find it to be a perfect balance between flue & fire cured tobacco (the new tin calls tobacco from Africa, Brasil, India and Italy) and the whiskey favouring is very unobtrusive but melting the components and imparting a nice smokey-sweet aroma.

The body is just perfect, and leaves you always wanting another bowl. The strength never overwhelming, even IW is not the one for the first bowl in the morning. The smoke is creamy, never aggressive to the tongue or the palate.

A bit pricey but worth having in normal rotation.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really enjoyed this tobacco and it has the distinction of being the first aromatic blend I would buy again.

I totally agree with the other reviews that suggest letting the tobacco breathe a bit before you are able to enjoy it. When first opened, the casing is so concentrated it does not smell at all like whiskey . The smell is like some kind of industrial cleaner and the first few bowls tasted like (I imagine) the stuff the Luftwaffe used to fuel the Me-163.

However, after opening and closing the can for several bowls, the flavor mellowed to the point where I could detect the whisky in the tin. At one point it smelled more like a scotch with a hint of peat. Lit up, the taste was strong and unique with a slight whiskey taste. I'm new to pipes and have found I prefer English/Balkan blends. Irish Whisky is strong and tasty like the English blends I've tried but less complex in flavor.

I especially enjoyed Irish Whiskey compared to the sweet aromatics I have been trying (and also enjoying) since I started with pipes in 12/08. Previously, I smoked cigars for ten years.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (51)
Strong Very Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

This one really took a long time to creep up on me. I opened the tin in fall of 2006, found the smell rather overwhelming but gave it a few tries. I really did not like it at all. There was no taste or aroma of whiskey that I could identify, but some other very strong flavor that actually made me feel queasy. It's not the nicotine as I don't get that effect with Brown Rope, Kendal Dark Shag, etc. I finally gave up on it and put it in the humidor, periodically going back to it and liking it better as it aired-out. Since then I have tried and enjoyed Irish Flake, and having come to like that tobacco I found the taste of Irish Whiskey to be to my liking, as well. At this point most of the strong aroma has passed, and now I can actually detect the irish whiskey. It is a good change of pace for Irish Flake and I think I will likely always want to have some of this on hand.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

EDIT: Down to 3 stars, by the end of the tin I still love it but it does miss that perfection factor.

This Dub just smoked some in a Pete 120 spigot with a whiskey cola on the side....I give it 4 stars,...I have been through most of Pete's baccy's, this joins the pack with my favorites. So far these are Sherlock Holmes, Irish Flake, Uni Flake and now Irish Whiskey is added. Sweet, real tobacco taste, hints of both UF and IF creeping in, dark finely cut baccy, more a Tullamore Dew whiskey than a 10yr Red Breast or a hearty, rustic Power's. Good nicotine level. Very little drying needed. Top whiskey baccy, better than Mac Barens's or Sweet Dublin (which are also nice). I knew I would be in for a nice treat, I can see this aging well. Well done Peterson's, now the only remaining problems the Irish have is paying ?14 a tin for this in Dublin!

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

This was a dissappointment, I have to say. I was hoping for a similar smoke to Players Whisky of lamented passing, but its really not up to the ticket.

It smells nice in the tin, slightly alcoholic with some dark fruitiness but when lit it's hot and yet insipid. It's not that its a bad tobacco, its just not a very decent one and for the equivalent, my American brothers, of $17.88 for a 50 gram tin need I say more. Yes that is typical of the horrendous price we pay for the privelage of smoking over in the UK :-(

I will jar up the rest with some 5100 and leave it for a year or two methinks

Django Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Django (4)

I've started with Peterson tobaccos by choosing "Sherlock Holmes" and I tried this one yesterday... Unfortunately, when I opened the tin, I felt that the smell wasn't so pleasant. The problem with this tobacco, is that it says "WHISKEY" but I'm still looking after it ! The whiskey aroma is just inexistent ! Although, the smoking is mild and tolerable, I don't find anything special in this tobacco. Try "Sherlock Holmes" or "University Flake" !

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

I love Kentucky and I love Whiskey!!! For me this one together with ORLIC DARK KENTUCKY and RATTRAY HIGH SOCIETY (both out of production - God knows why!!!) belong in the Holy Triad of Kentucky blends! Thankfully this one has both the Vit.N strength of DARK KENTUCKY and the mild aromatic character of HIGH SOCIETY!!! For me thats the best of the Peterson range!!! After a good meal (required if you don't want to loose your socks off.. :-) it beats a premium cigar at any given time! Also, if you have the chance to accompany it with some JAMESON Whiskey (or some other top rate Irish) prepare for some REAL experience! I did...

WELL DONE PETERSON! You did save your reputation and the Irish spirit with this one!!!

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Pleasant

Currently I find myself enjoying the full flavor blends containing dark fired tobaccos. IW, for me, falls into this category. I found the tobacco from my tin to be moister than I'd prefer. But, air-drying prior to smoking my second bowl was the trick in allowing the tobacco to show its virtues. The drying also removed the volatile effects of the whiskey, as well as, revealed additional cased sweetness of the blend. That sweetness, not bite, remained on the tongue beyond the smoke. The Virginians, Burley and Kentucky really provide a wonderful complex taste sensation. As Pipestud said, it's not for the novice with its dose of nicotine. Yes, the room note may be a bit assertive, but who cares. These tobaccos are top rate. If your looking for a full flavored cased smoke, filled with a balancing spice, this is it.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I usually don't like aromatics, but this one is top quality. You can detect the real taste of the tobaccos under the scent, it burns cool (a nice proportion of burley helps) and the flavour stays there to the end. Said that, I haven't been drinking whisky for quite a while now, but I still can remember it's a different world from this. And I used to like it better into a glass.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The appearance of this tobacco has been well described above. The aroma of the tobacco in the tin does remind me a little of Royal Yacht, but the taste of the smoke, from about one quarter of the way down the bowl, is very similar, in my opinion, to Royal Yacht. It is strong in nicotine, but very mellow on the tongue. I do not get the taste of whiskey. If RY was not available, I would smoke a lot of this. But as it is, I smoke this as a pleasant change from Royal Yacht from time to time. Well recommended. Paddy.

scootertrash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scootertrash (10)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Irish Whiskey has a good tobacco taste with the Irish Whiskey in the background. Quite pleasant and very lightly sweet if smoked slowly. If you pick up the puffing rate the whiskey taste disappears and leaves you with a strong tobacco taste. Not a bad taste and it never bit my tongue even when puffed hard. It obviously has a good nicotine punch when smoked agressively, it gave me the hiccups a couple of times when I smoked this while mowing the yard. So for me this is a smoke for leisurely moments. I can smoke it all day, and have, if I keep the puffing rate down. As for my recommendation, I'll probably buy another tin sometime in the future.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

While I will probably not purchase another tin of this, I can't say the experience of this blend was bad. Upon opening the tin, you are met by a dark and medium light leaf. The tin aroma does not give any hint of wiskey, at least to me.Upon lightng, you get a floral aroma, probably from the Thai burley. This settles down after about three re-lights to a "different" peat moss sort of flavor. Towards the end of the bowl, the flavor intensifies, but not to an extreme level. I did not get a nicotine kick like many warned me I would (I am very sensitive to the stuff).After about 3/4 of a tin, I just can not find myself attracted to the flavor very much. I'll stick to "Old Dublin". Sorry....

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Wow after a couple bowls of this my body hair increased by 30%. This a strong but smooth tobacco. It reminds me of Gawith Hogarth's sweet rum twist which I also like without the sweet. I can't believe I like this, dare I say my tastes are growing up. You can taste the virginia's and the burley keeps the bowl going. I like this because it's easy to keep lit, is not at all harsh to the throut, slow puffing brings out the mellow earthy sweetness and it burns to the finest ash/powder I've ever seen. I also notice it gets more delicious as it ages a trait of quality leaf. Not an every day blend but a nice diversion every now and then. I agree with pipestud only serious smokers need apply, cause this ones for the man cave...

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)
Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Some folks say this is strong without having lots of flavor. It is true that this blend does have rich base tobaccos - a brownish virginia and kentucky burley among others, and the taste and flavor are clearly mild to me, at most a light medium near the end of the bowl. I smoke this mainly outside taking my dogs for long walks. So I guess the fresh air is a way to dilute any stronger effects. But I've smoked it inside some too. It has a delicate taste accented by the spirits.

I can compare this to a few other liquor-like tobaccos. It has more body than the ultralight Scottish blend of Davidoff. It is not nearly as sweet or spicy as the McBaren Scottish whiskey,spiced cavendish Mixture in a rectangular tin. Nor is it a sweet as the CAO import called Malthouse Reserve (which can be a wee bit hot at times if care is not taken but a good flavor). Note: I generally don't review tobaccos I don't like pretty well or can't smoke much of, but I can use many blends -- some good, others not as good -- for comparison purposes, without reviewing them all individually. The three noted above are still fairly good smokes.

I have smoked this Irish Whiskey blend mostly in a large Peterson bent house system pipe -- which I bought from my local Metairie, La. Tinderbox and have held onto for over 10 years for such an occasion as this -- and in a few bowls of an Irish Second bent (also from Peterson) for comparison. The whiskey serves more to smooth and soften this blend, but it does leave its slight essence in the taste. Upon finishing one tin from Tim at PaylessPipes, I demanded another.

Cool, extremely mellow, fairly dry, and steady burning. The base tobaccos give the blend body but only a light flavor due to aging with the whiskey I imagine. If you want a little more whiskey in the flavor or more heavy virginia flavor, try McBaren or Gawith & Hoggarth, respectively, but this is a fine middle of the road example of a cool virginia mix with a touch of rich tobaccos and of spirit for a good long stroll. My Peterson is very happy!