This blend is heat treated Virginia and Burley flake matured in the press for 8 weeks to allow the natural prune and chocolate notes to come through. Full bodied with superb flavour and cool smoking qualities.

BrandE. A. Carey
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Dark Flake is one of my favorites in the long list of Carey tobaccos. I got my first (and only) bags of it a few years ago and loved the straight forward Burley taste with the hints of stoved Virginia in the background. I put my bags in a few mason jars and when I feel like an outdoors kind of smoke with a cob, this is my go to. It is one of those tobaccos you don't have to think much about as you smoke as it offers straight forward flavor and strength while remaining a remarkably cool smoke from top to bottom. Now, just don't tell anybody that I sometimes smoke cobs. (-;

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I originally purchased this from EA Carey, Europe about 2-3 years ago. I did review this and am puzzled as to why it is no longer listed. I did, however, mention it when I reviewed the Carey Ready Rubbed version of the same. At first, I found this to be identical to Irish Flake, but after several bowls, concluded that it wasn't. What it turns out to be is John Sinclair's Highland Sliced. Both HS and DF no 7 are manufactured by Orlik. If you've ever ordered HS, you will find the flakes to be of the same length and overall consistency. EA Carey's no 7 is produced by Orlik, and the packaging of HS says the same.

On to the smoking experience. In a word - excellent!! Very pure, tobacco taste with an ever so slight prune note. Can be smoked fresh, but I prefer my flakes a bit on the dry side. No bite, goop, dottle, or moisture. Smokes like a charm each and every time. As Irish Flake is one of my two top favorites, HS and no 7 fall right in line. They are all very pure tasting tobacco goodness, and each excellent in every way. If it wasn't for the hassle of ordering from Europe (extra expense and time involved), I would have both HS and no 7 in rotation. For that reason, Irish Flake satisfies my tastes for this type of tobacco. For those wanting a pure tasting flake experience, Burley/Kentucky forward, IrFL, HS, and no 7 will provide that experience. 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Various Peterson's and Stanwells

Age When Smoked: Smoked fresh

Purchased From: EA Carey, Europe

Similar Blends: John Sinclair's Highland Sliced.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (123)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Dark Flake No 7 is cool, full-flavoured, slow burning and without the soapy or perfumey mannerisms that so many people associate with British tobaccos. Its initial appearance might lead you to suppose that it will need endless relights. It doesn't, though; it lights easily and burns well from top to bottom. I prefer to fold-and-stuff, but it's just as well behaved whether you fold-and-stuff or rub it out (unfortunately, Careys have recently stopped making the very fine ready rubbed version). DF No.7 is enough like Esoterica's Stonehaven/ Germain's Rich Dark Flake to be a substitute, and it's a good replacement also for the now defunct Sinclair's Highland Sliced (I don't, in fact, discount the suggestion that it's really Highland Sliced in disguise). No doubt it too will go out of production in due course, as we head slowly towards prohibition (I'm in pessimistic mood, brought on by the recent rash of de-listings) but, for as long as it's available, it's a must-try for the lover of dark VA/Bur flakes. It's an old-fashioned smoke with an old-fashioned fragrance; and such things are important to old codgers like me. I think it would be reasonable to say that DF No 7 belongs to the same 'family' as Peterson's Irish Flake.

One can't, incidentally, speak highly enough of the outstanding service provided by E.A.Carey (Europe).

Pipe Used: Dr Plumb billiard

Purchased From: E.A. Carey (Europe); only available from their website

Similar Blends: Esoterica Stonehaven/Germain's Rich Dark Flake; Sinclair's Highland Sliced; Peterson's Irish Flake..

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Carey's Dark Flake. Upon opening this one, if I didn't know any better I would think it's J.F Germain's Rich Dark Flake, a very positive point in my opinion as that was in my favorite list for quite a while. The moistness can't be faulted, a good quantity that's ready to rub and fill straight away. Once lit I am impressed right from the start. It takes to lighting well, mind you, I normally rub my flakes instead of 'folding and stuffing' so it will take the flame easier but with that in mind it still lights well compaired to some flake blends I have tried. The taste is also similar to J.F Germain R.D Flake. Very cool smoke with a full taste of both tobaccos, the standard Virginia hay flavour is beautifully accompanied by the lovely deep buttery taste from the Burley making for a supremely Creamy Smoke! The nicotine is at a decent amount in Dark Flake, not too strong for me because I myself enjoy 'N' but it could possibly be too much for a taste only smoker. The room-note is a very "old fashioned" one, imminently conjuring up a feeling of days gone by. The flavour doesn't weaken any as the bowl burns down, all the way the creaminess is perfectly balanced with the hay note. One of the few negatives , possibly the only one is if you, like me, are quite a firm puffer then towards the end it can develop a slightly ash-like taste. That aside, I feel that Carey's Dark Flake is a brilliant example of how sometimes smaller, not so well known companies can easily give the more formidable ones such as J.F Germain's a run for their money! Superb!

Pipe Used: Rattray Six Friends

Purchased From: Carey's

Similar Blends: J.F Germain's Rich Dark Flake.

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (54)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Unnoticeable

This was a surprise. It's a very dusky hue with a punchy odour. But it turns out to be an everymans smoke.

It's easy in every way. Easy to rub, fill , smoke. Easy on the tongue

And it's surprisingly reminiscent of Mac Barens Bold Kentucky. Without the challenge. I wasn't expecting that!

No. 7 is a Honda, a Toyota. It's starts every time. It's reliable, gets you there with no fuss. I love it!

This could well become one for my plastic leather pouch when out and about and not looking for challenge.

Pipe Used: Stanwell billard.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the shop.

Purchased From: The good folks at Careys

Similar Blends: Bold Kentucky without the vinager!.