A rich blend of Cavendish, Zimbabwean, Orange, Thailand Burley & Black Perique, matured in Oak Sherry Barrels. Made in Ireland.

BrandPeterson
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique

2.9
il commissario Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
il commissario (9)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A freshly opened tin reveals tangy woody and dry grass aromas with an upfront sweetness and background pepper note. Over time the tanginess and pepper notes remains with the sweetness becoming more darker and chocolate-like.

It is mostly ribbon cut with strands of varying length and thickness. There are equal quantities of darker to lighter leaf – darker oily maroon strands (Cavendish?) are mixed with golden orange to rusty-brown strands with occasional small cuts of dark- brown broken flake (Perique?). I estimate the Perique content is 3–5%.

The smoke starts off like a lighter Va-Per and is quite sweet, often with a floral fragrance, but soon develops a more robust and peppery taste. The flavour builds down the bowl, and mid-bowl the smoke transforms into more nutty and wood-like flavours. Overall the flavour is dominated by Virignia and Burley, but it is very much a unique blend (and I wouldn't say this is a classic Va-Per). The perique is detectable and adds spice but the taste overall is dry-nuttier (from the Burley) and woody with a subtle fragrant sweetness that alternates between floral notes and earl grey tea. It has a decent nicotine content that can be quite strong at times.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (77)

Tin note is sweet bread and a hint of Virginia hay. Presentation is typical Peterson fine ribbon. Moisture content was not bad, almost just right as is. A short dry time of ten minutes is recommended. Takes a match well and requires few if any relights.

Initial note is cavendish forward on the charring light - not in an aromatic way, but rather natural cavendish, analogous to Luxury Bullseye Flake if you dropped a rubbed-out cavendish core right on top of the bowl. I detect no Perique until about half way through the bowl when I can sense the spice in my sinus cavities. But perique content is light. Virginias assert in final half of the bowl and, in the final third it all comes together marvelously. I like blends like this that change flavors as the bowl progresses. I found, in the final quarter of the bowl, that the cavendish reasserts as pleasantly sweet.

The tin describes this blend as Virginia, Cavendish and Perique. But the description in the box at top also state's burley as an ingredient. If there is burley present, it's blended harmoniously as I don't pick it up as a dominant or distinct flavor.

While not generally a fan of Peterson blends (University Flake excepted), I really enjoy this one. An excellent VaPer hybrid for those who prefer very light Perique. A nice change of pace for smokers of PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. May not satisfy the hard core VaPer smoker but I find it a nice diversion from the main rotation. Very pleasant smoke.

As a side note, I'm surprised many found this blend medium-to-full in strength and taste. Despite the strong name, "Irish Oak", I found it very light as compared to a traditional VaPer and would highly recommend it to those just newly experimenting with this type of blend, or those who prefer a lighter blend.

SawyerBoy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SawyerBoy (1)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Being relatively new to smoking a pipe, I wanted to try a few different blends from aromatique, to english and then this. I was a little skeptical of the tobacco at first, not recognizing the smells that came through my nostrils as I cracked the tin and took a wiff; I've grown quite accustomed to the smell of cigarette tobacco and cigars and have never experienced such a bouquet. I was a little shocked when the flavours tasted almost nothing like the smell of the raw tobacco, it was just strong enough to keep me interested and had a variety of flavours from a nuttiness to a nice spicy note towards the bottom of the bowl.

Needless to say I was immediately satisfied with my purchase. I will be buying this tobacco again after this tin is done.

Wiseguy1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiseguy1982 (23)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend is extremely VA, with the Cav, Bur, and Perique being very great supporting components.

Upon opening the tin, I was slapped in the face with bright, fresh and sweet tobacco aromas.

It's a difficult packer, being that there are several different cuts here, so tread carefully?

This is a very new experience for me. This blend offers a light of very thin flavors, not that they are lesser, but the golden/orange VA's are really giving this blend a light, almost airy flavor. The other components come out to play, but in a way I've never smoked before.

The cav lends its sweetness, mellowness and depth while the Perique helps give Irish Oak its name. As the bowls gets about halfway, the flavor and aroma are very close to charring wood. Different. Pleasant, but different. You can definitely get the oaken sherry barrels essence here.

One thing this blend brought to my attention, I clearly have the wrong smoking schedule. This tobacco is very much a sit down, relax, have a cup 'o tea and take a break from life. Whereas my other tobaccos scream "WAKE UP! WE'RE READY FOR THIS!"

Peterson is also new to me, so this too was purchased (like 221b Black Shag) partially due to the negative remarks on tobaccoreviews. I had to try it for myself.

Am I satisfied? OOOH YEEES.

Not something I am going to smoke every day, it's a good change of pace blend, so it will sit contently waiting.

Stuffin McPipey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stuffin McPipey (6)

What I like most about this blend is the patience it has taught me. Yes, it is temperamental; if you get it too hot it will bite. Too cold and it will gurgle or burn out.

I'm about a half of a tin in and I can't find consistency between bowls, but I don't think that is a bad thing. One bowl gives me perique overdose, the next may give me a cool oak flavor. The room note reminds me of walking into a cabinet makers shop. Sawdust cut from premium hard wood for furniture making; it brings back memories of working in a shop back in my younger days.

This blend is not for everyone, but I happen to enjoy it a lot.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Starts off non-descript and muddled. VA delivery builds, with a touch of Cavendish, and nice spice (Bergamot?) on the retrohale. Floral and slight wine background weaves in and out. Mid bowl the burley comes into play, melding with the VA. This holds, along with the background notes, until the final third. Lit well, easy to manage. Last third is somewhat harsh - Vit N predominates. 2+ stars.

Pipe Used: Bjarne, Karl Erik

Age When Smoked: not dated; at least 6 months

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild Tolerable

High quality tobacco, but not one of my favorites. I usually enjoy the first third of the bowls, but after that the Burley starts to dominate the mixture and, combined with Perique, it becomes too sour to my palate.

It's high on nicotine and low on taste. It lacks the mild sweetness and nuttiness one usually finds in good Burley mixtures and the complexity of good VaPers.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)

Peterson's Irish Oak is one of those "kind of" Va/perique blends, in that it has burley and cavendish as well. It falls into the category of "quasi-Va/p". For my tastes, this is unfortunate because it lacks a virginia fullness of character, but probably has less of a bite this way.

The tin aroma is of a restrained Va/p, not surprising since the other constituents have little in the way of smell. I did not detect any added flavor, though perhaps the cavendish and/or burley could be cased to sweeten things up. Not really detectable as such, though. No indication of sherry-barrel aging here either. The first bowl seemed a tad steamy and hard to keep lit, so I let the tin sit open for a dry summer day before reclosing. This yielded better results.

The taste on lighting is kind of unique, but quickly settles down to a virginia blend. Initially, the perique is only evident in the room note. After a few minutes, the strength builds and the perique starts to come to the fore. An astringent tartness also comes into play. The bowl definitely finishes with a perique bang. There is a noticable nicotine hit here as well, though not enough to be a problem. That being said, I do not think that this qualifies as a "strong" tobacco. Partly this may be due to the aging and mellowing in sherry casks.

All in all IO is a quality product, even if it does not have a lot of character. I am occasionally left with the feeling after a bowl of Irish Oak that I wish I had smoked a more traditional Va/p. Not sure why really. Guess that is why I do not consume it more frequently.

CriolloCorojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CriolloCorojo (16)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I personally really enjoy the blend. I usually smoke a lot of stronger flakes and latakia-heavy English blends. Irish Oak is a great alternative. The Virginias and Cavendish are prominent up front, but the Perique sneaks its way through as the bowl progresses. The first few bowls were not quite as good as they were after I let it sit for a few weeks after opening the first tin. Now, I recommend letting it sit for 4-6 weeks depending on your available humidity.

This blend is great smoked by itself in a bowl dedicated to tobaccos with a similar profile. However, I must say that it gets really interesting when blended with a little latakia. I used some McClelland latakia (tastes same as stuff in Frog Morton) to make some blends. I personally like it with 2/3 Irish Oak and 1/3 latakia, but I sometimes take it 3/4 Irish Oak and 1/4 Latakia. If you blend it and leave it in a jar for a few weeks before smoking, I would recommend only the 1/4 latakia blend. My overall rating, room note, strength and flavor ratings are just for the blend by itself. I would give it 3.5 stars if that was an option.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I was lucky enough to procure an old tin of this wonderful tobacco on a recent trip out of state. The tin I have has the actual "Irish Oak" tree on it and says made in Ireland. This is proably the best tobacco of the genre that I have sampled to date. This really is what Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture should have been.The tin aroma is quite pungent. There is a definite Perique presence in the blend.It is a beautiful ribbon cut- mostly blond tobaccos with a few chunks of darker leaves. The SHERRY essence is not apparent to the nose. Upon 1st light one is greeted by a wonderful tangy/fruity essence that warmly envelops the Virginia and Burley in the Blend. After a minute or so of smoking, the Perique pokes its head out and adds a slightly sour/piquant note to the flavor. It took only 2 matches to keep lit and smoked cool all the way down.The flavor did not change much throughout the smoke, but really was quite relaxing. This is a contemplative blend. It is reserved and understated. This is not a Perique lover's dream nor is it a Latakia lover's nightmare. It is simply a timeless classsic English type blend. The Sherry oak barrel aging process does seem too lend a certain something to the experience. An excellent foray into the past blends of yesteryear. 4 of 4 stars.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Relax. I am on my second tin of this, thanks to Tim of paylesspipes, in N.O., La. I smoke it in a Peterson St. Patrick's Day pipe (medium bulldog). It took my mind off the pending storm (Hurrican Lilly, Oct. 2002), and between it and God, my sanity and life were spared.

This is a natural, string cut blend, consisting mainly of some virginias and a little burley, with a touch of perique. It smokes quite cool and steady. Not wet or hot at all. Packs easy.

Due to the lengthy aging in barrels, the tobacco flavors have married fully, with only a background note of the perique to give it some added body. I don't think the perique, in this case, makes it strong. I still call it a medium.

Although matured in sherry barrels, I detected no spirit essence in the taste. But it was on the mellow side, nonetheless. (Its stronger cousin, Irish Whiskey, has a bit more of a spirit essence and body to it, if you like that combo.)

I cannot compare Irish Oak's flavor exactly to any other tobacco I have tried. (The added burley/cavendish and aging method make it different or brighter tasting than, say, CAO's Midnight Ride.) It is natural, straight, not weak or full, yet unique and tasty. Sort of old fashioned even, but with class.

In the tin is smells rich & nutty like virginia and turkish, but there are no orientals in it. Its burning aroma is immediately noticable and distinctive I am told.

I am sure a burley man or straight virginia smoker will be pleased by this. I have been. Good for a nice walk with your dog.

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Strong

Peterson's Irish Oak has a unique taste when it comes to pipe tobacco. As others have noted, and I agree, it must be due to the exotic (Brazilian and African) leaf used in its blending. In the tin, the collective leaves smells like a combination of raisins and cigarette tobacco. It is a nice-looking weed and, after some drying, packs well. Unfortunately, the smoking qualities leave a lot to be desired. To begin, the Perique is too much for my sinus cavity. Rather! This stuff just stings. The weed tastes slightly young and has far too much of a cigarette-like quality to it. This might prove well as a transitional smoke for those looking to make the switch from cigarettes to pipes. There are a lot of favourable reviews of Irish Oak before me. Even with the mild New York winter that I am experiencing at present, however, I cannot join previous praise as this stuff just leaves me out in the cold.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (31)

If you haven't tried Irish Oak and curious about the blend try to imagine Va's touch of sweetness, a warm woods base, with a steady ride of pepper you will get a good idea of this blend. Occasionally the smoker gets a bouquet of wood smell a flavor that comes from the Sherry Oak barrels. However, I have yet to taste any of the Sherry that some have stated.

It does contain a stronger amount of nicotine than Sherlock Holmes or maybe Hyde Park. Its a ribbon cut and will burn too hot too quick if not careful. I do recommend this tobacco as it's really unique and a great VaPer blend.

Purchased From: JR Cigars.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (64)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

I really tried to like this blend but it seems entirely lacking in broader flavor balance.

What it does have is a load of very bright flavors. You have the upper-register spiciness of the perique, quality cigarette like flavors coming from the Burley and Virginia, a citrusy top note (which I find slightly reminiscent of Dunhill Flake), along with a subtle dry woody flavor that I do enjoy. It also performs really well, very little tamping or relighting was needed.

However, this blend is so devoid of sweetness and any amount of warmth, that the flavors never seem to establish any semblance of harmony or very much depth for that matter. Irish Oak does have a pretty good punch to it, and it does go nicely with a sweeter, malty dark beer. But by itself as a stand-alone smoke, for me this mixture just doesn’t captivate.

Pipe Used: Parker, MM Diplomat

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Strong

I almost liked this one. I see what others appreciate in it, but it's not a bell ringer for me: it's too high-key for one thing, I like more bass in my 'baccy. IO is like a temperamental VaPer with just a bit too much burley and cavendish and then some kind of subtle warm citrusy topping (maybe the sherry?), all obscuring a delightful sweetness -- trying to assert itself -- with a slight nutty astringency. It does have some lovely nuance if you slow down (a good idea, 'cause this can bite), but it's too subtle and blurred, like a soup that's been seasoned with too many spices, yet none strong enough to focus on so that it ended up striking me as somewhat bland despite all that's going on. (Maybe IO is a stillborn aromatic?)

An unusual quality blend that undoubtedly appeals to certain tastes, but it's a miss for me.

FFDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FFDan (4)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am new to the pipe but have been buying way too much tobacco lately, trying to see what is out there. Irish Oak has not disappointed me so far. Initial tin notes were a very sour fruit smell, along with some virginia sweetness. I felt that the tobacco came pretty dry, and it seemed to burn the fastest of all the other tobaccos I have tried. It was a nicely balanced mix overall, and definitely had some notes of wood while smoking. I did notice the burning sensation along the back and top of the mouth that some have described...I suppose the was the perique pepper taste? It was interesting but went away within minutes of stopping smoking, so I knew it wasn't the tobacco biting. I have two other blends that have perique in them but have not felt this same peppery burn in them. Aftertaste was rather pleasant as well, with notes of apple and wood. Overall I am happy with this blend, and being my first offering from Peterson, I hope to try more.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (48)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Excellent pipe tobacco in every way...

When opening the tin, there is a special bouquet of fruity and smoky perfumes.

On a Meerschaum, the taste is stronger and straighter. On a Briar pipe, the taste is much mellower and nicer, I think because it gives it a sweeter taste.

Slight liqueur taste, the Perique and the Virginia are there, the Burley and Cavendish break that strength. I tasted some smoky flavours which are very special for such a blend of various tobacco. The N hit is definitely there.

Very highly recommended.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)

I think this is a very unique blend. I'm curently smoking only my second bowl, but it is great. Imagine a backbone of a vaper, then a little nuttiness from the burley. The virginia sweetness is always there, but not dominating. The perique lingers in the background, but is always noticeable. Then the odd oaky taste, which really is good.

The blend in the tin smells like sour fruits, not in an aromatic candy sort of way, but like real natural fruits.

honestly, the blend taste like vaper if you add the taste of the way a walk through damp, spring time woods smells. odd description, but great blend

A Northern Breed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A Northern Breed (16)

UPDATE OF PREVIOUS REVIEW: Smoking this out of my very favorite pipe, a beautiful vertical grain Neerup half bent that is closet in shape to a Dublin. Totally different experience here than when I wrote the review, which was smoked from a Søren freehand that I have acquired fairly recently (but which is pretty well broken in, so no big factor there). I am now slightly tasting the cavendish, which I previously could not detect. Also, the oak aging characteristics are much more apparent with this smoke. Much fuller, rounder taste this time, and I really really like this tobacco. It's very subtle, so I would understand if the big full English smokers don't really love it (and I'm a big full English smoker myself, I just happen to also enjoy subtle things of this sort). This is truly a great smoke, and also, the nicotine is more apparent this time.

If there is one thing besides the briar that I did differently this time, it's that I didn't dry it at all this time, just smoked it straight from the tin. Well, that made a HUGE difference. I have always maintained that over-drying a tobacco even a small bit will turn the taste from glory to hay very fast, and this is the case here (although this would not quite make the "glory" category in which Nightcap resides, heheh). On account of being so overwhelmingly surprised at the character of this smoke, which I missed the first time around, I am bumping this to four stars, which I generally don't give up too easily. Call me crazy, but I'm a huge fan of this weed right now. Very, very pleasant surprise here. DO NOT DRY IT. SMOKE IT STRAIGHT FROM THE TIN. The results will not match this review whatsoever if you dry it out prior to smoking. You might get a tad bit moisture, but that's a fair enough sacrifice to make for a great smoke, if I say so myself.

Ah, yes, and one other thing: upon completion of the bowl (which lasted a pretty long time for the relatively small quantity of tobacco I used), the nicotine in this is about as close to perfect as anything I've smoked. Beautiful, slight lightheaded, mellow, relaxed feeling. It's 35 below zero (fahrenheit) here, and the feeling that comes from this tobacco matches the weather nicely. I am very relaxed in my warm little house at this point, whilst a blizzard rages out the window. All is right with the world, folks. Who would have thought something called Irish Oak would be such a great smoke for winter time in Alaska, eh? ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I know this blend is not a proper VaPer, but I might just put it in that category if I had to categorize it. I cannot detect the cavendish that is specified at all, and although the burley is there, it is faint. Really what shines through here is medium-bright Virginias and my friend Perique. And before the Perique snobs arrive, I am well aware that this is not "the real Perique", but whatever the Perique that they use these days is, I like it very much, and I tend to buy blends that contain it. I do detect the oak aging characteristic, but it is certainly not up-front. Pretty straightforward stuff, contrary to what the tin notes would have you believe.

I like the presentation, as with all Peterson products. The tin is tasteful, and the stringy ribbon cut is possibly my favorite of all cuts. Partially that is because it packs well, and partially because it has no possibility of being sucked through the stem and into the mouth. With some cuts, even my jaw-hangers will pull a bit of tobacco through sometimes, but not so with this one. The tin aroma, unfortunately, is much bigger and bolder than the smoke of the weed itself, but that's certainly not to say the tobacco isn't good tasting. It just doesn't taste quite as good as it smells.

As far as the smoking and taste of this stuff goes, it's quality. It takes a light nicely, and it burns to a particularly fine, white ash. The taste is mostly of Virginias and a nice aftertaste of Perique. It's not some complex monster of a smoke, and I would say it's not as round as they promote it to be, but it's still a good weed that I could see myself smoking all day if I were craving Virginia. If I had to sum up the taste, it is of tobacco, plain and simple. I like it, and I give it three stars.

RupturedDuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RupturedDuck (6)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I have oft heard that Peterson should have stuck to pipe making, and thus have steered away from their tobaccos. Over the years, I have enjoyed Peterson's pipes so much, that I felt they have earned a fair shake at my tobacco dollar. Irish Oak is my first attempt, and although it did not make my top 10 list, I did find it thorougly enjoyable.

Irish Oak does burn nicely without gurgle, when smoked correctly. The room note left behind is light and not unpleasant (sorry...I don't have the instruments to properly conduct a "wife test"). It is of light to medium flavor...leaning towards sun dried lawn clippings rather than forest floor. The perique is apparent, although not overpowering. If you have swore off perique because you jumped into too strong a tobacco as a kid (my first experience with perique was smoking it straight in college one evening...I earned a healthy respect for it that night!) but you've always wondered what the mystique about it is, this might be your tobacco. Irish Oak does pack some nicatine though. My first few bowls caused raucous hiccups.

In conclusion, nice tobacco. It will not be a daily smoker, but it is nice to have a tin laying around to switch things up here and there.

ijustknewit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ijustknewit (4)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

To establish my credentials such as they are, I adore Nightcap and Condor so I am no stranger to strong tobaccos.

I bought this stuff on the back of favourable reviews on here and opened my tin, delivered today, with great anticipation. Great disappointment followed. No really discernible smell to the tobacco, just a generic mild tobacco aroma, maybe hay as others have said, and a slight sherry/cognac whiff.

On lighting the tobacco and exhaling it through my nose (I don't inhale) I immediately received a fizzing burning sensation in my nostrils, with no discernible taste whatsoever. None of the oaky/sherry nuances that others have described. The nasal fizzing overwhelmed every taste there might be. If this is Perique, it's not for me.

More of the same until my small bowl was emptied, half-unsmoked, 20 minutes later.

Undeterred, I took another bowlful out of the tin and set it aside to dry out. I returned to it 3 hours later having drunk a couple of pints of best bitter (which I find enhances my enjotment of tobacco) and tried again, with the same result. No nuances of sherry, and the oak I was getting might as well have been oak shavings. Horrible, rough, bad cigarette flavour.

Maybe that's what Perique lovers look for, but I'd be very surprised. I am about to re-align my tastebuds with a blast of Nightcap.

I will age this in the tin and see if it improves.

Update: Well, a fair time has passed since I first reviewed this 'baccy, and my opinion has changed favourably. I have decided that the secret to this stuff is to smoke it very gently and wait for the taste to show about 1/3 of the way down the bowl, when by taking small sips of smoke, rolling ot around your tongue and exhaling gently through the nose you can actually taste oak, and sherry and cognac hints.

I have this baccy reserved for occasions when I want a taste-blast after a couple of bowls of aromatic baccy (my usual being Erinmore Mixture with a pinch or two of a black cherry/vanilla shag incorporated as spice).

Uprated from one star to three.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Strong Medium Medium Strong

This is awesome, the way tobacco was meant to taste. Marked improvement in taste by smoking slower, tastes like the wilderness. The perique burns my nose, badly. Other than that, it's a winner. Pretty heavy on the nicotine, good first thing in the morning. Buy more.

Dexdpd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dexdpd (3)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first Peterson, I bought it almost two months ago and fell in love, when you first smoke it you notice the grassy like taste and the delicate aroma of burnned oaks, but after a few bowls you start tasteing a gentle cherry taste, mixted with some kind of a sweet ashen flavor, my daily afternoon smoke!

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (79)

I'm slowly becoming a Perique freak and this blend is partially respsonsible. I have been smoking a stash of Dunhill E.M. and Irish Oak does bear a passing resemblance to that old Dunhill blend. Though Irish Oak has a bit more taste and a bit more Perique.

This has risen immediately to the top of my rotation. It is full but not too full. The background is indeed rich and the Perique, imho, is slightly over the top. I don't really mind as it doesn't bother me until the end of the bowl. Meanwhile there is a very satisfying, complex, and smooth biteless smoke until the peppery, difficult finish. One of my favorites, with a richness and elegance reminiscent of a Dunhill.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)

Very smooth and harmonic blend! U can definitely taste the maturing in the oak sherry barrels. Nice woodsy nutty flavors and the perique harmonize very well. When you like Dunhills De luxe Navy Rolls or escudo, you'll probably like this one too.

Give it a try...

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I have made a few different notes on this regular purchase on separate occasions and times apart,,i cant be bothered to edit them together and i copy them here as i wrote them;they more or less say the same thing ,and together give the total picture;it shows my tasting judgement was consistant each time..

1ST NOTES:

Colour evoked:the green on the tin says it all.

Mental scene:outside in the country,sun behind the bare trees,autumn season beginning,,;get the feel of a season and save it for autumn it really works!

Great outdoor smoke.

Better when left for a day before smoking,,;complimentary drink;"newcastle brown ale" or jack daniels on crushed ice.

Damp bracken tin aroma,,earthy,,natural,,bonfire jacket potato's,,,mildly of beadies(indian herbal cigarettes)

Aroma acceptable or tolerated,,but it is not offensive,,its just a dry pipe smell..

Dry,,,mature,,,cool,,,strengthy,,,oak smoked,,,potato and oakleaf,,,jack daniels,,,jacket potato skins,,,white pepper hint,,,starchy room note,,,bitter raw potato after taste(but not unpleasing),,,savoury,,dry burner,leaves no real dottle and you can smoke it till it self extinguishes.

2ND NOTES:

Irish oak 2nd tin;probably not on the shelf long as no stain to paper lid.. Not as aromasome as first tin,,almost odourless,,,-taste not as strong either..

Its basically there though and reminds me of cigarettes slightly..

Smoked in a clay this time instead of my briars to bring out more flavour;which it does..

Not my best smoke but definately worthy enough to be in my circulation.. (i ended up jarring this tin and returned to it later;it basically needs a bit of age or drying out time because although it smokes well strait out of the tin it is quite steamy like boiling potatos to make mash,,;drying it makes it more spicy and seasoned.)

3RD NOTES:

50g round tin with a really nice shade of green label on tin(couldn't think of a more complimentary colour to describe the vibes of the contents;oak leaf green)

Open Tin Apperance: Tan and dark brown ribbons.

Taste: Mainly like the seasoning on dry roasted peanuts and raw potato peel/new potato's/white peper,,sometimes i taste oakwood/leaves on an autumn fire,,,sometimes parmesan or smoked cheese,,or cheese buscuits(must be the oak smoked association creating illusions on my pallet,,,;it does not smell like cheese in the room note you will be pleased to know)

Room Note: mild,innofensive,,,neither a pleasure or displeasure,,neutral mild tobacco smoke,,peppery up the nose close up, but ok on the eyes.

Slightly cigarettish - closest comparison to cigarettes would be "lucky strike reds"

No sherry detected in flavour - - absolutely no fruit memory whatsoever,but there is perhaps a sensation on par with the aftertaste of swallowing a paracetamol(trying to find adjectives)if you have drank sherry you will know what i mean:its probably the corky oak of the barrel that this stuff is stored in adding its flavour actually..

Burns to a white grey ash with no real dottle..

Pipe used:6" georgian clay.

Only a ghost hint of sherry aroma like when you smell an empty glass that has had sherry in it the morning after the night before(smelt from a distance),,,if i did not know this had been in a sherry barrel,i would not think of even identifying this....

Oak is my favourite tree of beauty,,,;this conjours up youth memories of climbing trees and burning holes in leaves with a magnifying glass using the solar rays and smelling the aroma..

Quite a unique flavour for a non aromatic;i would compare this baccy to the beer equivalent of "newcastle brown ale",,;it has a starchy, earthy,mineral soil bitter bite which becomes an aquired taste(like tonic water)

Nicoteen hit is above medium but not strong(for me)and i could make this an alldayer...

It doesn't ruin my pallet if i stick with it;but like "newcastle brown ale"(alegorical comparison);making a transition from something else like an aromatic onto this requires a bit of patient reaquaintence time...

I buy this again because of its no nonsence personality factor.. Its neither soft in an aromatic sence or haughty and sophisticated like an english..(me talking shit and getting carried away with the pen in my hand;)Its a charge hand smoke"the gaffer";it knows its purpose,doesn't say much but what it says is to the point,,,"no bullshit"(i know that probably doesn't sound like a lot of peoples gaffers,so i will take that back and call it "self employed",,,;its a good unique stand alone blend)

Like rollup cigarettes you have to keep it busyish or it will need a relight,but it relights easy..(it doesn't have much sugar content to self combust)

PRO's: It doesn't seem too tarish on my pipe cleaners,so you can get a few bowls in before giving a swab..

No tongue bite;if left open for an hour to dry its perfect.. Consistant flavour through the tin and bowl..

UPDATE 04/06/2012. Recently i have aquired a selection of old nylon and aluminium vintage system pipes on ebay because i wanted to know if i could bring anymore taste out of my baccy collection beyond my previous standard clay pipe tobacco taste trials,which were to know what a good baccy is like in the first place beyond owning and commiting to more expensive pipes.

This next phase is really for fine tuning to bring out the best of what i consider to be already good baccies, and having a selection of pipes with varing diameter draught hole smoke tubes and certain gimmicks has really let me expore the capabilities and augment and diminish certain nuances.

I have just smoked this Irish Oak in a Duncan Delta aluminium shank pipe with a moisture trap, and a single exhaust port bowl(some of these bowls have 4 extra satelite holes).. For the first time i can actually taste the perique rather than just sence its peppery presence up my nose. I have been smoking some orlik bullseye recently to aquaint myself with a VaPer archetype,and also some Dunhill Night Cap which contains a pinch so i know what i am definately identifying.

A good smoke has just got better because a peviously hidden nuance has come out,i can taste a ketchup spirit sweet and sour plum factor which goes well with the already present salt and pepper within,and can also get a certain amount of the aged sherry barrel factor this time.

I still stand by my previous review comments because they are relevant to the pipe i was smoking at the time and i have found that the pipe is a real time contributive variable that determines what gets tasted in the final exhaust delivery in my mouth.

This Duncan Delta pipe has a 3mm draught tube in the stem which makes it wider than my tighter 6"inch clays and narrower and more concentrate than my regular saddle pot briar and it lets the perique show itself. The clay concentrates the bitter potato of the virginia/earthy burly so much that the perique was only felt but not actually tasted(it was ok in the clay and the taste was definately amplified compared to my first regular briar trials).

This is now a more balanced smoke and sits between the two draught diameters of my clay and saddle pot. It really goes to show whats hidden under your nose when swapping pipes around. I used to judge tobacco too early, and even some that i wrote off i have since re-explored with my new pipes to find that they were ok afterall and it was just that i was smoking out of an unsympathetic draught of pipe.Its definately a 50/50 always,and i recon as long as i get the pipe end sorted i will get better results even from mediocre rated baccies which makes them taste like better brands when smoked in an average or random selected but not necessarilly the most sympathetic pipe.

A three star tobacco has become a 3.5,i could and may give it a 4 in the future.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a great smoke, but don't light it on an empty stomach! That is the best advice I can give in regards to this blend! It is a kicker when it comes to the nic hit, probably one of the highest nic content blends I've ever tried. With that said, I really enjoy the flavor of this blend, when I smoke it I feel like I'm smoking the pages out of an old paper back. You know that smell, don't tell me you don't. It is such a manly and old timey smoke, I just love the scent and the taste. It reminds me of what I'd imagine scrolls and old documents to smell like. Best enjoyed after a big meal with a glass of wine IMO. If your a seasoned smoker, give this one a shot, otherwise, may want to hold out till your ready for a good dose of nicotine.

Durwood Sauls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Durwood Sauls (8)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I just picked up a tin of this at my local cigar shop. Great stuff! I was looking for another virginia blend with perique, something without latakia as I smoke so many other blends heavy with the stuff. I love Escudo and am finding myself discovering I like Virginia based blends without all the heavy condiments.

I don't necessarily agree with the reviews by a few others. I find this to be a nice woody Virginia Perique rounded out with the Cavendish and Burley. It isn't sweet at least not in the typical Virginia way, I taste the oak quality from the aging in barrels, or at least that's what I think I taste, not so much a sherry quality though.

Tin note: I found similar yet strikingly different to Escudo, grassy, hay-like, with a distinct fermented dried fruit sort of smell.

Taste: I love it! I taste the woody Virginias, the slightly peppery, but to me fruity, Perique, the Cavendish and Burley lend some body and depth but I don't taste as much Burley as I would think, and I know and love a good Burley. Perhaps it's the Cavendish that has picked up a tinge of the sherry, less of a wine flavor than an oaked dark fruit sharpness. The retrohale exhibits the same tastes as Escudo with variations, to me it's a smooth, creamy, toasty, slightly caramel with raisins or figs taste. I don't get the comparisons to cigarettes, perhaps that was a trait of the original blend, I don't know this is the first I've tried it. But to me it lacks the acrid taste of cigarettes, at least American ones typically blended with Turkish. Maybe, just maybe I could see the comparison to an all Virginia cigarette, but even then I find Irish Oak to be far tastier and less one dimensional.

Smoking: Lights easy, packs easy, I smoke it in my other Virginia pipes with no trouble, no ghosting, my tin might be a bit aged, so it's the perfect moisture level right out of the tin, no tongue bite. Doesn't smoke hot at all, no matter how I might get puffing, which surprised me considering the components of the blend. I can get carried away puffing for more of that great taste on many virginia or burley blends and will find the bowl heating up quickly, not so with this one.

All around I find it to be a superb smoke! If you like VaPers give this one a try, I have and it's a nice change of pace. If you like aromatics this probably isn't for you.

Problematic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Problematic (8)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This one works for me. I love it. I really like the plain no nonsense woodsy taste and the strong nicotine. You might have to kick back. You can taste the oak that it was cured in. The virginias in here are not bright and sweet and difficult to find the sweet spot with. They are up in your face, smooth, and woodsy and you can enjoy smoking this with little concentration. Each pull gives lots of thick smooth white creamy smoke. It's a little monochromatic but does get a little spicier down the bowl. Maybe too monochromatic to be an all day everyday smoke for me. I like variety. But surely good enough to be once or twice everyday smoke.

It's not for everyone however. The roomnote is nothing special I'm sure. But to compare a fine tobacco as this to cigarettes is foolish. It's not a raspberry mango rum creamcake by any means. And there is no latakia for the other end members. It is however a strong easy smoking pure tobacco mixture that taste really good, gives nice thick creamy smoke and behaves well in the pipe.

It's perfectly suited to fall day in the woods. Makes me want to chop word or skin a mammal or something. At least not shave. I enjoy sitting outside watching the leaves change and smoking on this one. The nicotine can put you in a totally different frame of mind. So much so that when I come inside after smoking I get the second glance from someone whos wondering exactly what I was smoking.

I'll keep this one around for days when I don't care what people think of the smell coming out of my pipe. Wait that's everyday. I'll keep this around for days that there's mud on my boots. That works.

4 stars for being a tobacco I will keep one hand.

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (17)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ok, first off I'll admit, the only reason I bought this blend was for the Perique. Now this is a blend I might say is a little too contradictory. The Cavendish is almost non-existant, the Zimbabwean, Orange, and Burley's would have made a fine Burley mixture on there own but Peterson decided to finish this off with the spicy robustness of Perique?!?! Don't get me wrong this is not a blend you toss away, nor is it too complex, I like complex blends. But something or other 'seemed' to be fighting eachother with this one, like salt and sugar. The Perique is supported by the small amount of Cavendish. Setting the two apart from the Burley and Zimbabwean which are fine bedfellows. The Oak flavour is slight but definately there, but also not really melding with the ingrediants. I will give this blend a good rating on the quality of the ingredients alone but it's as if you let a couple of children throw a bunch of highend ingrediants into an all-sorts barrel. My only suggestion is perhaps with age it will refine a little. This blend puffs the same in all my pipes. Upon rereading this I decided to get a pipefull going. The Burley is there, the Perique builds to a crescendo like ussual. But the Oak and the Cavendish don't really fit into the picture well. If you like Burley's but want a small taste war to be waged on your tongue then this might be just the thing for you.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (18)

Upon opening the tin, one is greeted with a very plain tobacco aroma, very little else is notable in the nose, apart perhaps from a slight hay/straw aroma. The tobacco looks quite attractive, with the dark tobaccos dominating the image, complamented by pleasing streaks of bright yellow. The tobacco is slightly moist to the touch (as is usual), but despite this, packs well & burns easily. The smoke starts off as a fairly straight, plain smoke, which I think is probably what has led to reviews stating that it is redolent of cigarettes. As the bowl progresses, however, the spicy pepperiness of the Perique advances steadily to the forefront. The burn is steady & easy. Many have stated that this needs to be smoked slowly, but I think that as long as it is timed well enough to keep the perique in check, I noticed no need to slow down excessively. I smoked this in a vintage Peterson pot with the p-lip mouthpiece. The toabacco is by no means a masterpiece, but is a pleasant enough smoke. I find this suits a weekend morning, when no work needs to be done, after a leisurely breakfast. Tasty, with just enough bite to wake the senses without knocking one over with it's nicotine. The room note is fairly neutral, & not too heavy (although I do live in a house with cigarette smokers). I will definately keep some around & I am ageing some tins as well. Recommended for those looking for a middle of the road smoke with a little extra.

EtOH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EtOH (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is a great tobacco! I was not expecting Irish Oak to have the complexity that it does. Virginias definitely play a role, however, there are multiple nuances of vanilla, leather, oak, and just overall tastiness with a tangy tinge!

To me this does not taste like cigarettes although it does require the small degree of maintenance that cigarettes do (don't smoke em') and lights extremely well right out of the tin.

I will definitely be purchasing more tins and highly recommend that others who enjoy non-aromatics also sample this pleasant surprise.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

General impression: The tin smell is unique among tobaccos - a bit like sour dried fruits. Packs easily and stays lit pretty well. This smoke is VERY tasty - spicy and mildly aromatic (but not overly cased). Best description is maybe a VAPER/aromatic crossover. Room note is slightly sweet but might not be appreciated by non-smokers.

Who should buy this stuff: Any lover of VA and/or VAPER blends would enjoy this. If you like aromatics, this is a nice change of pace since it is not super-sweet and has some complex flavors. This is not an English-style blend.

Final notes: As others have noted, this stuff leaves a coating on your mouth and teeth - have your toothbrush handy! The nicotine content is also fairly hefty, so do not have this blend on an empty stomach either.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I was pleasantly surprised to find this was a "natural" tobacco and not some cased goop. To me, this is perhaps what an old time tobacco would have tasted like. The perique adds a nice peppery/spicey element and the African/Asian tobaccos give it quite a unique flavor and aroma. There is nothing that is prominent about the Oak Sherry casks but it may lend to some of the slight acidity of this blend. I really like perique and added an additional .25 ounces which really got things going. I can definitely feel the nicotine in this blend but I dont think this tastes anything like cigarettes, maybe a little like some fuller bodied cigars though. The tin aroma was nice...raisins/figs, or some other non-citrus dried fruit...no casing here. This is NOT a fruity tasting baccy...just so you know. This is a great blend and could be used as a blending base with which one can get creative. This isn't an overly complex blend but it is relaxing in its strength that gathers as the bowl burns. Very nice burn. Lots of smoke after just a little drying time.

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

11/18/2006: This is my smoke of choice. It's a wonderful pipe for the end of the day, and I usually enjoy it while enjoying the cool evening air. The flavor is rich and earthy, with hints of peat and oak, much like a fine scotch. It burns cool and the flavor evolves from sweet to a tad spicy as the bowl progresses. The first third produces a slight clove-like taste, then settles down to a smooth, peaty ride to the finish. It leaves a nice clean white ash at the end. I prefer to couple this with an India Pale Ale to cleanse the palate and bring out the flavor. A truly fine tip-top smoke; this is my staple weed. Four stars.

04/15/2007 I Enjoyed this weed tonight with my trusty Nording. Still fabulous!!! I just ordered a bunch more with the hopes of laying some aside to age a bit. Unfortunately, I doubt I have the self-discipline to leave it alone for too long. An amazing blend. Perfect for the end-of-the-day ritual. I wish I had another star to give it.

6/10/2009 Update: I fired up a bowl of the good ol' IO this evening after a long haiatus from the pipe. I haven't got much to add, other than after 2 years of aging, it remains amazing. The peaty oakiness is wonderful; the perique plays nicely throughout the bowl. Spice, leather, and the like make appearances during the bowl. Particularly wonderful when enjoyed in a larger bowl and smoked with patience. I have 3 more tins set aside, and am looking forward to the time when I dive into them. Still 4 stars.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Irish Oak is pretty much over-the-top wonderful. My review is from a tin I have aged for two years (and likely the tobacconist had for a year or more on the shelf).

This does and has it all for me: High-quality tobacco, real tobacco taste, little or no glucose added, loads easily, lights quickly, burns to a clean ash, rich & wonderful flavors, complexity, tongue-bite free, intoxicating aroma and little gurgles. This is good whether you have eaten something sweet or savory prior, during and after smoking Irish Oak.

If you don't like abundant Perique or heavy nicotine, Irish Oak is not for you. If Burley and Cavendish in a Virginia/Perique blend put a crimp in your shorts, Irish Oak is not for you. If you buy bulk blends exclusively, sorry.

If you like Germain's Royal Jersey Perique and want more Perique and a cooler climate, try Irish Oak (same with Dorchester, Dunbar, 633, Long Golden Flake, Golden Sliced, Luxury Navy Flake or MOB 111). If Tilbury turns your worm gear and you thought, ?If only it had Perique and more Virginias,? get some Irish Oak. If you are a bit frustrated with harshness, H,O, and heat from Escudo or Pease's non-oriental Perique blends...Irish Oak.

Short bowls, tall bowls, small bowls, large bowls, narrow and wide, severely tapered and straight-sided bowls, indoors, outdoors, daytime, nighttime, anytime, Irish Oak is the mixture that works. Smoke it in a clean bowl or use it to clean a funky bowl.

A touch of sweetness and mustiness from Virginias (as others have noted); perilous with Perique; nutty, deep Burley; with mellowing Cavendish create a dance on the edge of danger that manage to excite and not execute. One of my ?desert Island blends.?

If Peterson blends were made by Murray, Sons Ltd. and now have gone to Scandinavia as have Dunhill?s, I worry that this will loose its edge. We?ll see, but the early reports are not encouraging.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I don't smoke this often and am currently out of stock. But I usually buy this this when I see it. It is like no other blend I've smoked. Don't let the description of contents, with cavendish and burley, mislead you. This is a full flavored, well rounded tobacco. The addition of perique was a great choice.

So, what's the taste like? Well, there is and Orientalishness to Irish Oak, even if there are no Orientals in it. It's in the high end of the flavor spectrum, though not sweet. Reading the reviews likening this to cigarettes, well, I don't see that connection. Nor is it a typical VaPer. It is unique. So unique, there are really no good comparisons to make. It is spicey and somehow yellow tasing. If that's not good enough, try it yourself. Be warned, the perique sneeks up as the bowl burns down. Good stuff, Peterson.

Palmer Eldritch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palmer Eldritch (6)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is one of two oferrings I have tried from Petersons, the other being Old Dublin. Although they are two different types of blends, this one blows Old Dublin out of the water. And this is not because I do not like Englishes. In fact, the only reason this doesn't reach a 4 is because it lacks latakia's richness.

That said, this is a great tobacco. I won't even bother talking about the mechanics... it lights well and smokes cool, usually with only a few relights at most. What I enjoy most is the flavor. There is such a great interplay of tastes that enter and leave, and although I am not experienced enough yet to distinguish all the tobaccos separately, I can say that they all work together well. There are rich, nutty flavors, and deeper undertones, accompanied by an occasional sweetness and spiciness... very satisfying. When first lit there is an alcohol-like flavor, but nothing too strong, and it goes away quickly, or else plays some beneficial part in the flavor as the bowl progresses. It goes GREAT with any darker drink, especially coffee. I smoked this in the morning and found it perked me up without knocking me out... the perfect amount of nicotine. Therefore I could see it as an all day type of smoke... mild enough without a bad aftertaste so that other tobaccos could be enjoyed. Even with the last little bits in the bowl very dried, I lit it up and the flavor was still there, lacking the subtlety of a fresh tin but making up for it in richness and strength.

I will be buying more of this soon to balance out my routine. 3.5 of 4 stars

UPDATE 8/14/09

After a long smoking hiatus, I opened this to find it had dried out significantly. My fear is that room temps have degraded this tobacco, but I haven't had the same problem with other tobaccos. The tin can just keeps rotating when twisted, though I may have opened it too hastily when I bought it, damaging the can. I smoked it out of a new corn cob, so my impressions concerning taste should be accurate, though it burns hot when this dry. The perique stung my nose and by the bottom of the bowl it was somewhat "musty" and "tangy." I'm lowering my rating because there are far more "tasty" tobaccos out there. Went well with a cup of yerba mate which even out the harsher flavors. Will attempt to rehydrate using pease's method.

8/16/09

Rehydrated very well but found what seems to be a piece of plastic cut in ribbon form in the tin. Really hesitant to smoke this anymore. Losing patience with this tobacco.

Smoking the properly and slightly rehydrated bowl of Irish Oak, I find it "chemically" and "airy" flavored as a I did Old Dublin. Don't know what happened. I don't think anything happened to the tin. I think it's a combination changing taste and low quality finally making itself known to me. Started to get somewhat interesting mid to 3/4 of the way down but with an added bite and musty flavor, then went out. Thin smoke. I wanted to try other Peterson's and give them another chance, but now I am not so sure.

At some point you have to be honest with yourself: There is nothing otherworldly or too intriguing about this tobacco, so why spend your time and money on it when there are so many others that are?

Semois Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Semois (18)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Opening the tin, a discreet smell of fermentation. Nice mix of ochre and brown ribbons, some black ones. The taste is complex and evolving in mouth and nose from neutral and cool to a full taste of sherry-like fermantation with spicy undertones. I appreciate the combination of these sensations. The aftertaste (wood/spice) is very good. A unique blend with quite some nicotine. Recommended, but not as an all-day smoke.... three and al half stars.

By this I also like to express my appreciation for the several tips I got via this website (like using the cutter (Pipestud) - the way of filling my pipe (by gravity and massaging; I no longer push the tobacco with the finger in the bowl and the effect is remarkable....)

latakiahaze Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
latakiahaze (11)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very unique and appealing blend that is difficult to define and somewhat elusive in characteristic. It makes a refreshing change from heavy English blends and yet does not fall squarely into any particular camp, either latakia orientated or aromatic.

What typifies this blend for me is the strength of the Perique. I say strength in the sense that the underlying spiciness of this blend just gets stronger through the smoke. Rich and peppery, this is evocative of the great outdoors, maybe a windy autumnal night huddled around a campfire.

I really cannot distinguish many complicated flavours in this mixture other than a general woody saltiness underpinned by the peppery tones of the Perique. It gets very strong by the bottom of the bowl, and the smoker needs to take frequent breaks, but this mix is never harsh or sour no matter how hard it is smoked and I have yet to experience any tongue-bite from smoking in any of my pipes.

The contents of the tin were dryish and the aroma salty and elusive. The tobacco burns consistently, although I have found a tightly packed pipe to be particularly unforgiving with this blend. The tobacco burns right down to a light grey ash.

Overall this is a tobacco I can thoroughly recommend when the mood is right. I cannot imagine this ever becoming my "desert island" blend but it is a lovely change for the late afternoon or for a day when the air is chilly and the leaves are starting to lie on the ground.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Strong Mild Very Full Strong

My first foray into Peterson's. Thanks to Captain Dan for "hooking me up" with a tin.

From the reviews I expected something nearly unsmokeable. I expected a scorched throat, dry heaves and swirling rooms reminiscient of my first smoke of Haddo's.

If smoked quickly, or getting a really young tin, I think this stuff could invoke those nasty side effects. Upon opening my tin I smelled an extremely pleasant grassy/fig odor typical of this type of blend; rich, aged tobacco. Would it be the polite and polished smoke of Dorchester? Not a chance, this stuff is Irish all the way. Most of my Irish fore fathers were mad to a man. Perhaps they smoke a lot of this (or it's historical analog) in their day? It certainly is strong enough to be "sense altering".

Upon first light there really is a woodsy (as in forest) taste and aroma. The flavor of liquor comes on a bit strong for a moment then fades into lovely curls of yellow-blue smoke. As the bowl progresses solid VA flavorss meld together in a sweet/bitter dance. Then the perique rises up. It is black pepper and cayenne - but not overtly violent. I would guess the cavendish is mellowing it all out.

The liquor comes and goes very gently. If you concentrate you can taste it, but it never gets out of hand. Towards the middle of the bowl the perique and burley become more dense. I found a lot of flavor variation in this.

Down towards the heel, the perique predictably intensifies. After relights, both spice and the flavoring are enhanced and compliment each other nicely. But make no mistake, this stuff gets strong in both flavor and nicotine especially if you smoke quickly. I've managed nearly 2 hours out of a bowl, and it was an incredibly enjoyable smoke. This is the first VA/P blend I would classify as an end of the day smoke (at least for me). There is strength and richness here that rivals Nightcap. And like that smoke, there is a latent harshness that you have to accept if you are going to partake of Irish Oak. I personally like it.

Though fans of both Irish Oak and Haddo's may take offense to this - I see quite a few parallels in taste, complexity and punch when comparing these two blends. They fill different niches, but will easily make up the bulk of my "heavy duty perique" main stay.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Appearance: A nice looking ribbon cut with mostly light to medium red color. Some darker leaf can be seen, but not as dark as Latakia.

Aroma: Slight hint of topping noticeable, but mostly there is the aroma of well matured Virginia, Burley and Cavendish. I could determine if the slight aromatic quality was in the Cav., or was a top dressing.

Packing:. Ribbon cut packed easily in small to medium pipes. I did not try it any of my larger bowls.

Lighting:. Lit quite easily if allowed to air out for a short time. At times, one Vespa was enough.

Initial flavor: Started out quite mild, with just a touch of aromatic (unknown) flavor. After a few minutes, the Virginia started to assert itself, and shortly after that, so did the Burley and Perique. The initial impression of ?Where?s the Beef?? does not last long, and the flavor develops quire well.

Mid-bowl:. By mid bowl, the flavors have developed quite well, and there is a nice interplay of sweet, strong, and peppery. Can burn hot unless care is taken to puff at the slowest possible rate. I would not recommend this for outdoor smoking, except in a sheltered spot.

Finish:. Typical for blends with Perique, got stronger and more peppery at the end. Not unpleasantly so, but it was definitely there.

Summary:. A nice change of pace for the Virginia smoke, but will not become a staple in my rotation..

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Opening the tin, I get a musty funky smell--usually something I take as a sign of good things to come. And they do, initially. The first third (or half) is delightful, with toasty virginia and burley, quite sweet but very satisfying with a hint of perique spiciness. Then the perique totally dominates the blend and my palate and makes it impossible to taste anything except my very smoky burnt tasting tongue. This blend would be a regular if it had less perique, as it is truly an interesting mix of ingredients. Unfortunately, the nuances of the various leaf that you get at the start are gone by the end...and so went my mood to smoke again after finishing bowls of this weed. A long tin to finish.

Before trying Irish Oak I must admit I was at odds with at least two of Peterson's blends. University Flake was a disappointment, and though I find Sherlock Holmes better, its strange and understated watery sweetness sloughs its body and structure. To put it in Irish terms: if Fox's blends are the essence of richness and flavour, Peterson's (Murray's?) are the epitome of indefinable blandness. Irish Oak, however, was a pleasant surprise. Though it is definitely a tobacco on the mild side, its straightforwardness provides a natural taste that gradually builds up to a medium strength, quite falvoursome smoke. The initial Virginian astringency is countered by the Cavendish and the Perique, and the whole blend is enhanced by a woody undertone, presumably from the sherry oak barrels it matures in.

Rather moist in the tin, this blend benefits from overnight airing. It comprises an unsweetened Cavendish, orange Virginias from Zimbabwe, a very discreet amount of South East Asia Burley (providing a bit of sour nuttiness) and enough black Perique to spice things up. Not difficult to pack or light, it starts off as a simple straight Virginia. Nothing out of the ordinary, the first third of the bowl in fact betrays a hidden strength and tanginess that begin to develop towards the mid bowl mark. As you puff along, the Burley and the Cavendish mix in an odd sour-bitter combination. Just when you think the stuff is going to bite, the Perique saves the day. Piquant and sharp, its appearance enlivens the blend and from then on becomes the dominating presence, upgrading it to the medium strength range. The tobacco has an excellent clean and long lasting burning rate. No dottle or gurgle, it burns to a fine grey ash with a very pleasant natural aroma and after taste.

This makes for an excellent introduction both to straight Virginias and to Virginia-Perique mixtures. Specially recommended for those wishing to move on from aromatic drug store blends into the world of natural tobaccos, or for those looking for a suave first encounter with Perique.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

The smell of Peterson Irish Oak immediately reminded me of a Dutch cigarette rolling tobacco, any of the popular Halfzeier Shag such as Drum and Joker... with some dried fruit (raisin, apricot). This corresponded with the room note that my wife described as "like a cigarette".

This blend smokes extremely well, and has a no frills, classic tobacco flavor with just enough extra richness (from the Perique, I presume) to help the smoker know it's a pipe tobacco, and you haven't crammed a crushed Lucky Strike into your pipe.

I really enjoy the way this smokes, and tastes. It does burn a little hot as the cut is finer than most and it seems to pack a little dry even fresh out of the tin... I found that I really have to smoke this blend just right to really appreciate it and not get a stem full of gurgle and a mouthful of wet tar. If I smoke it just right, it produces great wonderful creamy mouthfuls of thick blue smoke, which isn't the most important thing to me but pleasant nonetheless.

The nicotine was just about perfect. Not ideal for a smoke first thing in the morning or on an empty stomach, but just strong enough to need a beverage.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum, Briar SACHS Canadian

Age When Smoked: Unknown (purchased 2/2014)

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I might not be giving this tobacco a fair test. I tried it when it came by in a tobacco box pass. The tobacco in the tin I had was pretty dry. I tried it in a corncob pipe outside. It smoked very nicely for the circumstances. When you held the smoke in your mouth there was a nice combination of flavors and you could taste the perique without it being to strong. I think this would be a good tobacco for a beginner to perique to try. In general I was impressed with it. Maybe someday Ill buy a tin for myself.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)

I picked up a 50g tin from my local B&M just to give it a try. This seems to be a middle of the road aromatic in taste and room note. Not a bad blend, just not something that strikes my fancy very hard. YMMV on this of course. I would say I recommend this at least to give it a go and see if it is for you.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I love the mild Sherry flavor in this blend. It adds to the complexity of the other components which would be very tasty on their own. Very nice Virginias that stand out in this smoke. Nice body and a very relaxing blend. Highly recommended.

AleWatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AleWatcher (5)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Just finished this tin... and I think it unlikely that I'll buy it again. It isn't bad, but the room note didn't go over well-- I was told it was "harsh" and "loud."

The tobacco has a spicey nose-tickling quality and packs a big dose of vitamin N. Don't smokr this when its hot out or it is all too easy to be left lightheaded and dizzy.

Burns well, packs easily, and comes across with very little tongue bite.

As far as it goes, this was pleasant enough but I think it just may not be my cup of tea.

Chmalu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chmalu (4)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Strong

Smoke only when you're alone in home, or at balcony. Really, all the flatmates hate me for this tabacco. But recently it's my favourite one, just because of that kind of wooden, full, delicious taste :) Great tabacco for long, quite calm smoking. This tabacco also likes books :) so when you read a book - this one is recommended!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I was a little let down by this one and maybe it is due to the high expectations I have whenever a crack a Peterson tin. Many reviewers compare this to Vapers and talk of the virginias in the blend. I found it more burley heavy and could barely taste the virginias. I think it could have used some more of that Va Hay type sweetness.

The tin presentation is as great as I would expect from Peterson. Round screw tin with the folding filter type of enclosure. The tin aroma was not good. If I had to compare to another blend I would have to pick Marlin Flake, but Marlin Flake is much better as the Vas really sing in that one. I think the cavendish in this must be unsweetened or at least lightly so, as this blend lacks sweetness against the nutty Burley and spicy Perique.

Overall, it is not bad and I certainly don't feel like I wasted any money, but if I am going to smoke a VaBurPer there are so many that are better than this one that it doesn't justify a repurchase.

TheWoodwose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWoodwose (17)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't give a review on consistency because I gave my tin of this to a friend for Christmas so I only smoked one bowl of this when I helped him "christen" it.

I must say though, it was perhaps one of the best smokes I ever had. I think it was the perique in this blend that did it for me. Not too strong but it added a pungency to it that made for a very interesting smoke.

I have since bought a tin of Haddo's Delight by G.L. Pease and while enjoyable, it seems to have too much perique for my taste.

If you want to try a blend with a bit of perique, I would highly recommend Irish Oak.

PipeBot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeBot (7)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Irish Oak is like the girl next door. Dependable, attractive, easy- going, consistent, considerate... and yet, you can't help but feel you could do better elsewhere. But, deep down, you know that you might well end up settling down with her once you've finished roaming.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This a very strange blend. It was not bad at all. It has an unusual stringent quality, it was wet and needed dry time, lit well finally, made my nose tingle like smelling fresh horseradish, the perique I assume. Though this is not bad, its not great. I finished the tin but don't think I will buy more. Very odd indeed. Very unique.

camillako Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
camillako (9)
Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

UPDATE: testing it again in a large meerschaum, revealed an evolution in it that i hadn't detected the first few times. I'm just not convinced that the peppery development gets me too excited so i'll maintain my evaluation.

This is a reliable tobacco. Straightforward and mild, it reminds me of vanilla ice cream in that it is mild, comforting but a bit boring smoke, although i would understand if some people call it elegant.

Pipe1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe1000 (14)

Wanting to get a pure taste from this Peterson blend I smoked a bowl in a new corncob.. From the start it was a promising tobacco, the blend smelt nice, a wood / oak aroma and when lit didn't really change.. It was ok, fairly pleasant, but to be honest boring. With very little perique, a subtle monotone flavour (that doesn't really change), a very slight sweet flavour (I guessing naturally occurring from the Virginia's) and low nicotine, this blend wasn't anything special. This blend simply doesn't excite me and make me want to go any buy more, If offered it I'd say ok, but defiantly not going to purchase any more any time soon!

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A little too strong for me to enjoy regularly, but very tasty. Well balanced, smokes dry. The Perique is barely detectable. The VA and burleys are the main players for me.

Not for beginners.

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)

Another really great tobacco, a perfect natural sweetness from the Virginia's, not much in the way of Perique however. Smokes straight from the tin and is a very well behaved example, no gurgle at all and smokes all the way down. Packed loose is best for me and in a small apple will be seen off in about 20 minutes, perfect for a quick tasty smoke. Will be adding to my rotation. And yes, there is something Royal-Yachtish about it but nowhere near as complex or heavy. Recommended!!

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Reminds me very much of Dunhill's Royal Yacht which is a similarly nicotine-driven tobacco. The Perique in here doesn't play a big role; I suppose there is really just a pinch added. Not a bad tobacco at all, quite untouched, original flavour. Hard to say who will like it - maybe those who like Peterson's Irish Whiskey (depth) and Sherlock Holmes (purity), or aforementioned Royal Yacht (punch)

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (19)
Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This was my first experience with perique, and I can't see myself becoming a perique guy. I didn't really like the smell from the tin.

Smoking it gave me spicy feel in my mouth, like eating pepper food. It also gave me a mild short lasting buzz.

I think I'm going to prefer the sweeter aromatics over this blend. I wouldn't recommend this to new pipe smokers. Maybe cig smokers might like it.

I'll probably finish the tin but only because it cost me 50 bucks.

Ejay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ejay (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Subject to change, but this is currently my favorite smoke. Packs nicely, lights easily, burns evenly all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The flavors are subtle, but they are most definitely there. Took me two tins to fully appreciate this blend. Its not a sweet blend, but there is a sweetness to it. The best way for me to describe the sweetness is to imagine having a regular cup of tea then adding a spoonful of honey. The honey doesn't make the tea sweet, but you can detect the honey's sweetness. This is what I mean by it having a sweetness. I try to always have a couple of tins on hand and think this is a great smoke that can be enjoyed all day.

ewlship Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ewlship (14)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Over all a disappointing tobacco. I really enjoyed Petersons Old Dublin and Sweet Killarney blends, and was hoping for a tobacco with some character. The smoke is thick, which I like, however there is little taste to it. I would put this a slight step above captain black gold. I will not buy this tobacco again.

JackSparrow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JackSparrow (13)

Strange stuff…I smoked a couple of tins but I couldn't decide yet if it's one of my favorites or not, probably not. Sometimes I like it very much, sometimes I don't!

Opening the tin you can smell very weak aroma, mainly hay and dry grass, in background some sweet note of honey. You don't need to dry it out, coming out of the tin is ready to smoke.

It burns very easily, a bit too quickly in my opinion. The first puffs are almost without any taste; going through the bowl you can taste sweet VA and cavendish (both not so sweet in this case), peppery PE, wood and hay notes, with a good load of vitamin N.

Despite the number of tobaccos used in this blend it's a quite flat smoke, from the beginning to the end of the bowl, no surprise.

This is a very simple and sincere blend, not for the ones who love complex and round taste: no frills, only pure and monochromatic tobacco taste.

Struggling.Thinker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Struggling.Thinker (7)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is outstanding. I am SO happy that I purchased this. Very smooth taste: slightly sweet, somewhat tangy, and the Perique is not over-the-top. The nic from this one is fairly stout. I smoke OJK, and this blend has at least as much nic as OJK. I would add that this blend is smoother than OJK. Sometimes I want smooth and sometimes I want a little "grit". This is for a smooth, nutty, tangy Nic-loaded smoke.

Tin moisture upon opening was actually perfect. Absolutely NO bite and no gurgling. I loved the taste. I loved the vitamin N. I will definitely keep this in stock.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Very Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I am new to pipe smoking. I bought this because of the name. The aroma upon opening the tin is a slight sour note. When smoked at first it seems very mild but then it burns the mouth not just the tongue but the top and sides with a peppery kind of burn. I do not get any flavouring from this tobacco. It does seem to give a kind of buzz of sorts...giving a boost of energy along with the sparks of pepper in the mouth. The burn lasts about an hour or a bit longer after smoking. I probably would not buy this again. I am going to try to age it a bit and come back to it. I can however see that it would be appealing to some. I however will be checking closely to make sure I go on more than just the name in future.

LimeyPipeSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LimeyPipeSmoker (5)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

When I decided to move away from flavoured tobaccos and onto something stronger I chose Irish Oak because, to be frankly honest, I liked the name. So after a browse through some reviews I decided to part with a tenner and order a tin.

First impression when I opened the tin was something along the lines of "I think I should have gone for something less potent". The aroma from the tin however after the initial surprise was actually really enjoyable, strong but still enjoyable.

Smoking wise I found it a very full smoke; you can certainly taste the perique and it bites a little, not enough to cause discomfort but just enough to keep you on your toes which is something I enjoy about Irish Oak.

For me I find Irish Oak a great afternoon and evening smoke as it leaves one feeling most satisfied and very relaxed to the point of a slight light headedness.

Overall it's a great tobacco: strong but not overpowering and that cheeky little bit of bite to it.

I feel I shall be happily smoking this for a long time.

strawalker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
strawalker (14)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is very, very nice tobacco perhaps too nice. I find I reach for this one way to often and I live in fear that one day I won't be able to get my hands on it. It has such a lovely balance of flavors with just a hint of tasty perique. The cavendish bring a dry sweet honey character all the way to the finish. I always get a whiff of Latakia strangely, though it isn't mentioned as an addition. I have wanted to review this for a long time but I was afraid I could never do this superb blend justice. I agree that it needs to be dry but then again I have never purchased an overly wet tin. Do yourself a great favor and buy this tobacco.

SmileyOrb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmileyOrb (12)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an unusually tobacco as I've noticed the mixed reviews. I think I know why. If you smoke this straight out of the tin then I was not impressed, simply because it seemed too mediocre and I can understand comparisons made to cigarette tobaccos - (cigarettes... I just don't enjoy anyway). However, I beg you to leave the tobacco in the tin to dry out and...wow! what a difference! You'd think smoking this completely dry would be like smoking hot coals, but not at all. The flavor is not so hay-like, more woody, rugged perhaps. So my love hate relationship has been borne through patience. I enjoy this from time to time and the strength of baccy is quite strong. Avoid if you're not tolerant of a strong tobacco kick. This is nice stuff then. I recommend - but try drying in the tin for while and I'm sure you'll get the enjoyment. Ideal to take on a country early evening outing with a good coffee or single malt.

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (24)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Perfectly sorted tobaccos, great ratio, my general wine tasting baccy, with its genial woody-oaky taste i recommend it highly.

ARIMA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ARIMA (12)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Tin presentation was great, ready to smoke with one re-light. Very mild taste but could surely detect the "N". It burned nicely with lots of smoke. Much smoother than I thought it would be, no after taste to speak of. Very little taste to this one but an enjoyable smoke all around. I'm gonna jar this one and come back to it in 6 months.Hopefully, more taste will come out.

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought a tin of this when I visited Dublin late last year. Easy to pack and lights well. Good all round smoke. The only reason I won't give it four stars is it doesn't set itself apart enough; reminds me of other tobaccos I enjoy.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good tobacco, but not for everyone. This one punches a good pack of Vitamine N and Perique.

Easy to smoke, very tasteful, a classic. You must try it if you enjoy perique.

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Well this was certainly a strong smoke! I really liked the taste of this and reminded me of smoking a nice, mellow cigar. Will probably go for another tin of when I finish this one!

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)
Strong Very Mild Full Strong

Seeing how many other smokers give this blend such a high rating makes me wonder whether I received a bad tin. I recall the smell upon opening the tin was strong, earthy, and pleasant. But the moment I lit up, it all changed!

I won't go into many details since this blend has so many reviews. What I puffed on was a salty, cigar flavored tobacco that I found intolerable after smoking only a few bowls of it. I do wish I had kept it and let it age in a jar; but I was so overwhelmed by just how bad it was, it went straight into the trash. Hopefully my particular tin was an aberration for this blend because it rates as one of the worst tobaccos I've ever tried.

Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoke (7)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

All I can say is this tobacco reminds me of a fig newton cookie. Good in a big bowl sweet and I do detect an oak note which I enjoy. Good baccy all around.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

While the flavors are too glorious and complex to put into words, the finish feels a bit raw and acidic, which kind of eats at the thoat even if you don't inhale (which I don't). I thought that maybe the Zimbabean virginias (or perhaps the Thailand burley) could use some aging. Lets see what a year in mason jars does.

gersham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gersham (4)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Wonderful. Expected to be overwhelmed, but wasn't. Did feel the nicotine noticeably, but not unpleasantly (and I don't have a very strong head). The taste is very full, not completely smooth but not at all scratchy. It reminds me of the woods. Wilderness. The smell of timber and a sort of rugged communion with nature. Or lumberjacks. Definitely a favourite.

Spencer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spencer (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

When I first tried this I couldn't get it to stay alight so it sat in the cupboard for 6 months before I tried again. This time it had dried out a little and smoked well. The taste is rather pleasant and has some strength. Once into the bowl one can detect a sherry note which is interesting. Not a bad tobacco and one I would smoke again.

Dikos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dikos (12)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Thats amazing tobacco. I smoke it for some years and it is never annoyed. For me at cold times it is often became everyday smoke. It is not aromatic at all. It have strong taste and aroma...mmm...like your are walking at summer forest. Burns well and cool, became spicy at the end. I recommend it after good dinner. And i doesnt find analog to this tobacco. It is uniqe.

JDev84 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JDev84 (7)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I usually stay away from perique unless it is accompanied by its cousin latakia, but this is an exception. a very plain mixture. the african virginias are very nice, and dont burn too hot or bite the tongue. a warning though, this blend is very high in nicotine, so if thats not your cup o tea, dont smoke this all day. i myself, however, think this is a very good all day smoke. plain, strong, and lends a contemplative mood as you search for that hint of pickled perique. good, not great.

Akoodem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Akoodem (1)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

One of my favorite tobaccos. Great woodish taste,you can almost taste oak barrells in which it was curd. Just perfect.

acyv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
acyv (10)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is not the worst tobacco but not the best surely. You can buy this one once in a life time only. Peterson name is blinking much more things on my mind but this one is really strange. It gives feeling of smoking cigarettes... Empty tin of this one is much more useful :) I'll store my other tobaccos in.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

first time I tried irish oak, I was amazed. but that was before I tired some other perique containing offerings --minus burley-- . I'm not absolutely sure if it's the burley causing my distaste for Peterson's irish oak, or because if it tastes downright a cigar/cigarette-like blend. whatever it is I'm looking forward to finishing what's remaining so I can keep the empty tin as a reminder of "not to buy again". Anyhow I believe it's a decent blend with quality content for those who seek for some strength without any complexity but oak(y) flavor.

JustPlainChris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustPlainChris (11)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought a tin of this back in 2006, smoked a few bowls, and jarred the rest.

I opened it back up last week and have had a few more bolw fulls of this, and I just don't think I care for it too much.

I am a nicotine wimp. If I break out into a sweat, get dizzy, and feel nauseas, then it is NOT a good experience!

That being said, I DO like some vitamin "N" and prefer a medium strength blend.

This tobacco is just too strong for me! I don't know if its the Burley or the Perique, but my oh my did this stuff hit me like a freight train!

Don't get me wrong:

This is high quality, well blended tobacco! As far as taste went, it was good, but nothing that made me yell with joy. It was easy to pack, aged well, and would probably please anyone looking for a good VaPer with a little extra fan out there.

Just not my cup of tea, but a good quality tobacco nonetheless.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This turned out to be a surprisingly strong tobacco.

I would guess the amount of Perique is significant because the blend is rather light in colour.

This is Elizabethan Mixture's big brother...

Ideal for the cigarette smoker trying to switch to pipe smoking.

It worked for me :-)

roachman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
roachman (4)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was one of the first smokes i had as a pipe smoker, and i really enjoyed it , i loved the woody taste and the ease it burnt with. Being a novice at the time of smoking my first pipes the re-lite thing was still in use. The transition from a sigarette smoker to a pipe smoker is easy with this blend , i would describe this as a sigarette in a pipe. Thats why i lite one of these up when i feel like a hard smoke. I always have a tin of this handy.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Oaky would be the main theme of this tobacco. Well balanced and pleasant I didn't find it strong all. Easy to smoke and friendly burning (no tongue bite at all).

Tips: Let it dry a little

It inspired me to make a mixture of my own, witch I call "Danish Pepper" = 3 parts WO Larsen Vintage Mixture + 1 Part Cornell&Diehl Bayou Night (let them mary for a while).

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Tinnote: fresh, hay, peppery.

Nice sherry taste when sipping before lighting

Very mild taste, mostly natural and slightly sweet because of the cavendish. I like to let the smoke come out of my mouth and then inhale it through my nose, giving me the feeling that all is well with the world :)

I like this as a first smoke of the day and sometimes in between more pronounced tobacco's.

panfolk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panfolk (6)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

The sherry flavor makes this heady blend very distinct and pleasureable for me.

Angelos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Angelos (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Tolerable

Although i like peterson's "old dublin" and "perfect plug", this tobacco has no character and burns completely diferent. It is "just a smoke" without anything else to be said.Flat, boring and a little hot burning.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

A freshly-opened tin left me bewildered, wondering what to make of it. After some time and drying out, I realized I don't like it very much.

I was encouraged by a delicious and sweet tin note, but once lit this disappeared.

Too much puffing and this tastes like a cigarette, only less pleasant. This has a tendency to burn hot and harsh for me.

I could only appreciate any flavor with the gentlest of sipping, and detected something like straw, sawdust, and occasionally a hint of sherry.

Enthusiastic puffing will be punished with harsh god-awfulness. Light coaxing gives it a passing grade, but barely.

Two stars seems a bit generous, but one star a big stingy.

longbow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longbow (4)
Overwhelming Mild Medium Tolerable

My first review in a couple of years, and under a different name, so hope folks don't get the idea I'm a nasayer in general, but I gotta say if you're gonna try this one, be sitting down when you fire it up. Recently my all day/every day smoke of Gawith's Skiff has become unavailable, so I ordered some of this as I had smoked some in years past. Admittedly Skiff is a mild one, but after a few minutes of smoking this, pondering a rather ordinary taste, I was hit with a huge wave of all-over malaise until I realized it was this baccy. Holey smokes. It is strong. I've tried some "full" english blends before, even some with lotso perique, but this knocked my socks off. Too much for my blood, anyhow.

pipesomkinsquirrel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesomkinsquirrel (16)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I bought a tin of this from my local tobacconist a couple months ago. I bought it without really reading the tin, but being impressed with just about all of Peterson's other blends I figured I would give it a shot.

Upon opening the tin I was quite surprised to find it to be very dry. Not too dry, but just right. I found this odd for a new tobacco.

The aroma was not bad. Not the best, but not horrible. I could detect a small casing, but could not put my finger on it. I think the thing that displeased me most was the unbalanced aroma of Burly in this blend. Right off the bat I got hit with green grass and wet hay.

I loaded up a medium sized Peterson system pipe with this tobacco, and got to puffing. Now I do not knock a tobacco simply due to style if it fits in that style, but this did not really fit any place. It was hardly an aromatic, and defiantly not a Virginia. The only thing I could classify this as was a big Burly tobacco. Had the tin said Peterson's Burly Mixture, I would have given it four stars. However, it did not.

As I progressed through the bowl, I found this blend to smoke very hot. It did not bite, and never gurgled or got wet.

It did burn to a nice white ash, but also left an ash taste on my tongue. It reminded me of a drug store cigar or an old cigarette. However, it is an easy blend to inhale if that is your bag.

Maybe I was not as patient with this blend as I should have been, but I just could not bring myself to enjoy it. Normally if a tobacco does not fit my preferred style I will still give it a good review if it is quality leaf that fits the style being presented. In my opinion this did not.

I do not know whom I would recommend this to, for I don't really know what to classify it as. I guess if you are the smoker who likes the old Half and Half and other drug store blends, this might spice up your rotation a bit. Otherwise I would think twice before buying a tin of this.

mbmc82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mbmc82 (7)

Liked it the first time and gave it another go. Not bad at all. This is a straight forward tabac. Good balance. Nothing fancy,just good stuff.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I thought I had reviewed this, obviously not. I bought a tin last year and smoked it, then bought another back in November, last year I tried several of the Peterson range.

Now I remember why I didn't buy more tins earlier, it's a bit boring for me. Having said that, it's certainly not a tobacco that I'll throw in the corner and forget, it is after all a good quality tobacco with some interesting flavours, as I write I'm getting a sour taste which is not altogether unpleasant, and when you look at the list of components used, it must be quite a feat to get a blend to work. And this one certainly does.

The sour bit's gone now, replaced with sweet virginia's or is that the sherry's coming through? I was going to give this two stars but it's now been "upped" to three.

As it has cavendish, to my way of thinking, this would be an aro, something I'm not very fond of, however, this type of aro with cavendish component, but lacking the heavy syrups, I can certainly enjoy. This tin will also be finished and I hope I remember to buy another as it is a pleasant smoke from time to time.

Nurse_Maduro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nurse_Maduro (27)

Irish Oak is a very simple smoke, and one that requires no analysis to enjoy. It produces a thick, light-colored smoke that's woodsy and pleasantly tangy on the tongue. It's also very appropriately named, as smoking it reminds me of those cool autumn nights spent at my brother and sister in-law's house by the lake, with the campfire crackling. As I said, this is a one-note smoke and, as such, should probably rate as average. However, I'll be revisiting this one often just for the sake of nostalgia: My sister in law has passed on and we've moved away from the area, so this is like comfort food for my pipe. A fine smoke and, with it, fine memories.

Pipe Boiler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Boiler (11)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is yet another good Peterson Tobacco. One match to light and stayed lit easily. Regular light tamping produced a good heavy smoke. Heavy on the virginia so burned much like cigarrette tobacco. Wont replace Old Dublin as a favourite or Sunset Breeze as an aromatic treat but still very enjoyable. I generally get around 60 minutes from a pipe fill and I always smoke it to the end at one sitting. This was no different. Smoke it slow and enjoy it. After 6 months I still consider myself a beginner but I believe its a good transition tobacco if you are considering giving up cigarrettes (which I am not)and taking up the pipe.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (40)

This is a terrific blend especially for Virginia lovers. it's gentle yet satisfying. The balance of different tobaccos and the wood aging just causes you to smile. It's 2010 try a can and you too can smile.

Eudoxus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eudoxus (1)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I must have got a bad tin, since Irish Oak tastes exactly like warm air, no taste at all. I tried several bowls of other tobaccos and then another bowl of Irish Oak, all through the same pipe. I repeated this process several times and I could definitely taste the other tobaccos. I'm now certain that it's not me or my pipes, but other reviewers seem to notice some taste, so it must be a bad tin.

kukulis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kukulis (12)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The smell and the taste doesn't come instantly when you lit it. But later you begin to feel oak aromats and that begins to recall echoes of your ancessors voices, that worships ancient gods in the sacred groves. Actualy burns a little too hot, but with some efforts to keep your patience to puff slowly, you are rewarded with a nice taste. This tobacco is not for beginner for sure!

cmhpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cmhpipesmoker (21)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

To say one doesn't happen to get a tobacco they don't like or one that gave an initial impression that didn't work out would be an understatement. This is not a bad blend at all. In fact, I think it's a good quality tobacco. It's just one that is not to my liking. In reading the reviews, I felt that I was picking up a robust English style blend. What I was getting was a tobacco that smoked, as others have mentioned, a cross between a cigar and cigarette. I have smoked some heavier blends such as the well known Dunhill's Nightcap (the Murray's version) and the not-so-well known Xtra Rich from Smoker's Haven (no longer available). To me, these were both strong, robust English style blends. If you prefer blends that smoke heavy (and not in the Balkan or English style) or you are making the transition from cigar or cigarette smoking to pipe smoking, then this is for you.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

This was my first Peterson's tobacco. I absolutely love Irish Oak. When I first opened the tin I wasn't at all sure of the sherry smell but I've learned to love it. I think Va/pers are gonna be my thing. It seems alot of people say it's alittle too cigarette'ish which I can see, but give it a chance and, to me anyway, some complex flavors come out. I haven't been let down by Peterson's yet!

Boomer-Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boomer-Z (22)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I am new to pipes. (6 months) I am really enjoying this tobacco. Be warned. This is strong and will hit like a bomb if you are not careful. The nicotine buzz is enjoyable if you are use to it and ready for it. I like this stuff, but it takes a while to get use to.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

I tried this tobacco while visiting my sister in Pennsylvania in Christmas 2007 when I was just making the conversion from the uncouth habit of huffing cigarettes to the gentle art of pipesmoking, and at the time, I thought it was the ultimate of what a powerhouse pipe tobacco could be. Made the top of my head sweat at the time, I can tell you! I got it in Pittsburgh along with Ashton Rainy Day (boy, is that one different!) and Savinelli Special Tobacco (I will try to remember the particulars of that blend as well so that I can review it) at a very overpriced mall tobacconist. I got another tin a year or so later, and was a bit underwhelmed. By then, I knew what strong pipe tobacco was. Still, I liked it. I can think of several blends I would rather smoke, but this blend does have a pleasant taste redolent of sherry casks-tastes aged anyway. There is a bit of a cigarette flavor to it, but maybe this is just the nicotine punch. It burns pretty fast, so maybe that's what gives me this impression. I would like to try it aged.

BigWhiteWilly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigWhiteWilly (9)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

If you like VA/Per mixes you'll love this one. The nicotine level is high, right where I like it. When the bowl hits its sweet spot the tastes are complex and almost winey. Lights easily and stays lit. Perique can change Virginia into something etherial, but this mix is beyond words. Sip it else Mistress Nicotine kicks your butt (I kinda like when she does).

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Strong Extremely Mild Extra Full Tolerable

With this tobacco: My flavor needs are not satisfied. Nicotine kicks. After the first half bowl the perique is overwhelming.

If you like the perique just in second roles like me, stay away from this.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very satisfying and strong blend. The nicotine content is much stronger than the English/balkan blends I usually smoke. I find the taste has the virginas on top with a bit of the cavendish at the bottom. A hint of the sherry at the start.

As mentioned below, this tobacco should be sipped. I haven't had trouble with bite but the nicotine is so strong I have to smoke it slowly. Otherwise, I get a nauseous feeling like rushing through a maduro cigar. A nice change of pace from my usual latakia blends.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (83)
Medium to Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable

Opening the tin my nostrils were invaded by an inviting aroma of baked fruit. This aroma promised a plant rich in pulpy blackberries... but once lit the tobacco I didn't find any blackberry, just a bare and thorny bramble! This blend is incredibly bite on the tongue, incredibly tannic, too woody in taste and flavor. Maybe this is a reproduction exactly wanted (as the name suggest), but what a waste of time and resources: it's easier to fill the pipe with oak chips!

Highly NOT recommended.

jwne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jwne (9)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried a tin of this for the first time today. So don't take my review as gospel. I'm in love! This is a very good tobacco and suits my bias for non-aromatics very well. The aroma is dreamy for non-aromatic followers, and a non-aromatic does not necessarily stink! Taste is quite satisfying. Strength is very good; you can feel it in your gut. Burns very dry and to a white powder all the way down. Does bite if stoked too harshly. This one is a winner. Oh, yea, baby. I'll be buying more of this.

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (20)

This is very good pipe tobacco. It is flavorful, very Virginian and an excellent smoke. One needs to be cautious, and sip this stuff, like most Virginians, it can bite. I really enjoyed it and will return to it often.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)

This is a very small review of the new version from a folk who never tried the old version. This tobacco is good, but, and others have already told, it is the most "cigarettesque" tobak I know. Otherwise, it is smooth, quite complex and pleasant. Recommended maybe for folks who are going from cigarettes to pipes. I nevertheless have 4 2 ozs tins aging in my cellar. Who knows ?...

A solid 3 stars.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

i bought 10 tins of the old green IO recently because I noticed some new tins, this might mean new blendings - havent´tasted the new one yet. It is true, the tobacco matures somehow inside the tin. Whenever I open a tin, i smoke one pipe a day using this stuff. Why? It has a good medium to heavy strength, a good amount of nicotine and is easy to pack no problem with any considerable form of bowl,just put alight, keep it going and smoke right away. I love vape mixtures and this blend is an absolutely favourite of mine on very hot days or on the way to some round table talks. I recommend it for the starters as well as for experienced nicotine friends. U never get thrown out of the house smoking a bowl of this tobacco.

BrSpiritus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrSpiritus (18)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Update 7/31/09: I have to downgrade this tobacco to 2 stars. I have found better VaPer tobaccos out there like SG SJF. As time goes on tastes change and I ended up giving the rest of this tin to a friend to try out.

Got this blend as part of a grab bag sampler and decided to try it in my estate meerschaum billiard pipe.

Fairly typical ribbon cut, upon opening the tin I detect an earthy smell reminicent of peat and old leaves in the fall with a sweet undertone. Tobacco was middling wet/dry and packed well in my pipe, and lit without problems.

The first impression I got was a slightly floral note building into a creamy, earthy taste. Flavor characteristics were coffee, choclolate, pencil lead, leather and heavy peat like single malt scotch. I found the smoking experience enjoyable and return again and again to this blend. From start to finish this tobacco gives an even burn and a taste that is never too harsh or bitter.

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I'd like to like this tobacco. The recipe seems good, the leaves are high-quality, the packaging and branding are seductive? yet the final result does not captivate me. Bowl after bowl, I sense nothing but a weird taste of lettuce & pepper. Are these the flavours to be expected from Virginia and Perique tobaccos? I honestly don't know. In spite of this less than favourable impression, though, I must say that the smoke is neither tarry nor hot ? a plus for this mixture's worth.

robvolume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robvolume (9)

I definitely recommend Irish Oak to anyone looking for an aromatic tobacco that still retains its natural tobacco flavors. I absolutely love this one.

Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I did not know what to expect from this blend because of the mixed reviews here but nought love it that i though it was time to try it. So with a 50 gram tin in hand I loaded my large pot and settled in to a pick me up smoke with a cup of dark roast coffee very strong. It looks like quite a mix and is of a number of tobaccos. It was mostly ribbon cut and smelled sweet and pungent in the tin. It loaded nice and seemed to be just the right moisture level. I lit and right off noticed was that it is very mild with no tongue bite at all. Has a sweet fresh VA taste but the Perique makes it's presense known throughout. Has a slightly tart sweet flavor and aroma. I have found in this a nice VAPER that just tasted darn good and I am a burly smoker normally. This one could become one that I always eep some aroound. No tongue bite whatsoever and burned all the way down. Highly reommend it.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I had somehow hoped to find traces of the "oak" in this one, but instead I found a mild and smooth, balancing slightly to mediumbodied, VA/PER with some cavendish and a tiny tingle of spice now and then. Good VA/PER's aren't as easy to find as you might think, but I believe we have a good example of one here. It's plain and simple pleasant to smoke, consistent and uncomplicated without getting boring. Nice and sweet tin aroma, though nothing out of the ordinary.

It's pretty wet in the tin, so an hour of so of airing is not a bad idea before packing your pipe.

It's very nice as it is fresh from the tin, but a couple of years in the cellar could very well do wonders for it.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have passed through and just concluding a tin of this tobacco, the picture in the tin still shows the oak, so it's not the latest production. I have really appreciated the complexity of nuances, the right strength (going to fullness but not overwhelming), the great quality of the ingredients, the balanced very well flavour of true tobacco. It tends to dry quite quickly, and this means quite or no additives at all, so fine ! Even dry I have experienced no kind of bite nor astringency to the palate. I will grab the remaining old tins available. Very nice experience, I highly recommend it.

UPDATE DEC01/2008

Unfortunately, only one more old tin was available and I'm keeping it in my cellar as I do with all the discontinued tobaccos to deserve to special occasions ... The new version of IO is quite far from the old, from the cut to the aroma. Everything has flattened down to something bland near to a RYO. I cannot say the quality of the leaves has worsened much (no pieces of stem at all), but the combination is no more the same. For sure some neutral humectant has been used: after three weeks the tobacco has the same humidity of the opening... Maybe it's a young tin and need to sleep for a long while. Hope to raise my review to three stars soon.

UPDATE JAN16/2009

Thank You soooo much, Hagen !

Yesterday evening I was checking the status of my cellar, and checking the group of tins of tobaccos recently declassed I had the "flash": who wrote about baking ? Scrolled down the TR's list. It was Hagen about Early Morning Pipe.

Well I immediately identified two good candidates for baking: 1) Irish Oak 2) My Mixture 965 (Orlik version). So I did, 3hrs at 80c, exactly like he said.

Oh, my dear Lord! It works!

Of course tobaccos a quite dried (not bone dry), and their colour has darkened and "melted". Both tin aromas have improved very much and are fuller, with a pleasant note of toasted tobaccos.

Since I was used to smoke IO sometimes on the very dry side, it's not been a problem to smoke as the result of baking, and the smoke is really smooth and satisfying. The strength has improved. I didn't clearly dedected Perique before, nor I clearly do now after 5 bowls. I love Perique, so I'll keep searching it. Sure it's not a plenty as somebody wrote. The earthy/nutty notes of the Burley are better shining.

Now the question is: should I increase the rating to * as a consequence of baking ? Or, does it have a sense to stock a steadily available tobacco as expensive as EUR. 17.00 and more per a 50grms tin ? I'm doing that, and feel confident that the next tin at the tobacconist will be aged enough. Sure Petersons' have not the same turn-over of Amphoras', today more than in the past because of the economical crisis worldwide.

Regarding MM965, it's good even after baking but needs rehydrating. I'll be reviewing it soon.

UPDATE JAN302009

it's just to add a further comment, having to do with the comparison between old (Made in Ireland... Murray ?) and the new (Made in EU... Orlick ?). I have rehydrated and now smoking the remainder (about 20grams) of an old tin I got ten years ago or more. IO of old is another story, four-stars-stuff. But, I have to say the the new IO after-baking-process goes very near that. Therefore it should really be a matter of aging.

troutmask Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
troutmask (5)

Yet another tin design traduced and replaced by silly legislation. In the tin is a really pleasant everyday tobacco for those who like a good strong "traditional" smoke. Fair amounts of nicotine and lots of tobacco taste.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)
Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

I'm new to pipe smoking. I've started not only to reduce my cigarette abuse (from about 30 a day to half of that) but also because I enjoy a long lasting smoke, and I'm now fully converted to the pipe.

So far, I've only tried a few tobaccos, and Irish Oak is the most complex one... It packs and lights easily, and burns cool. Unlike other reviewers, I find the Perique effect stronger on the final half of the bowl, and it is a little too agressive. However, I really like the first half bowl of Irish Oak, as I find it a bit saltry and woody, in a moderate bitter way, wich I enjoy.

It drives me to the atlantic portuguese coast, where the wild pinetree forest, all crooked due to the winds, stops just a few yards from the sea line. I still hope to understand Irish Oak a little better, and meanwhile I'll keep enjoying it as my 2nd bowl after dinner (following some reviews, I dedicate my deepest pipe to it, which I still don´t know if it is the right thing to do).

UPDATE---------- I now realize this is not as good as I thought. It gets better after the tin is open for a few weeks, but still not a smooth smoke. Down from = to .

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (78)

11/28/2007UPDATE. I have decided to re-write my review on this blend that would include a comparison between the 'old' and 'new' tins.

Besides the obvious change to the label, as well as the fact that the label announces a different list of ingredients between new and old, the tobacco looks and smells different. The new blend is much lighter in colour and the smell is delicious.

The aroma coming from the tin reminded me of Escudo, a rich smell of ripe fruit and dark chocolate. My initial impressions were that this blend has evolved from what it was ( do not really know) into a classic Va/Per ( which we all LOVE)

I was very eager to try it and after about 5 hours of drying time on a baking sheet, decided to have a bowl. In a blind taste, i would have NEVER been able to identify this as IO. I then sealed the tobacco and after a brief rest in the tin of around 12 hours, had another bowl 5 minutes ago in a clean, well rested, picture perfect, straight grain Design Berlin bent apple with the most marvellous staight grain.

I find that this blend has really impressed me and have placed an order for 10 tins that i will be collecting later this afternoon from my tobacconist. The taste is a very delicious Virgina with a lovely Perique tang and the Cavendish providing a nice sweetness to the composition. I cannot help but comparing it to Escudo with a bit more Perique. The ribbon cut is perfect for loading and burn rate. This blend does NOT bite after it has been dried out.

This is all Va/Per and i applaud Peterson(?) for blending it. I do however feel that people who enjoyed the previous version will be seeking the origional version that was left in the Sherry Oaks to flavour(?) Pete should have named this differently because i find NO similarities between new and old.

As for the VitN content, it went from a 'strong' to a 'medium to strong' the only thing i am not happy about. There is a lot of Perique here but is buffered somewhat by the Cavendish.

I apologise for the very long review but i feel that a detailed comparison was not easy to come by on the internet and it was my responsibility to inform everyone.

I liked the old version. I LOVE the new one.

Mo, South Africa

Happy New Year to all the Pipers in the world

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Virginia and Perique are always considered as great match and this blend is no exception,,yet the sweetness of cavendish give it a mild peterson touch which always have tendency to aromatics(except for old dublin)however its not overwhelming,, the tobacco is rich with perique and full bodied, it burns perfectly and have wounderful after taste,,for perique and full bodied blends, defiantly not to amuse your surroundings.

HumanBoeing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HumanBoeing (12)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

I didn't like it! I like Old Dublin and Irish Flake plenty (the flake is my 'gotta have' tobacco these days) - but this just struck me as a most peculiar blend. Firstly, it hurts: perhaps this is the Perique levels in this one (though Ashton's Artisan Blend has a fair bit of Perique in and I liked it full well) to me it just seemed as though this tobacco contained about 50% pepper. A stinging sensation accompanied the first half of every pipe full - not tongue burn - a little like inhaling some sort of mild tear gas. Actively painful, not at all pleasant.

When this settled down after about half a pipe I suppose it became a pleasant smoke, with a fair jolt. But to get to this zone meant going over the pain hurdle every time. So I just won't buy it again.

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is the first blend from Peterson I have tried. When I opened the tin,(w/green lid) I was greeted with an eye opening aroma of prune/grape. The cut was rather thin, almost shag like. It appeared very moist, but dryed within a 1/2 hour. It packs great and lights and smokes with ease. I loved the taste, and room note it created was enjoyed by all who smelled it. The nicotine is fantastic due to the robust jolt that can be achieved. A very dry, cool smoke that will not bite, but will satisfy your needs. I would recomend it to those who are looking for a great and differant blend.

Auld Eire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auld Eire (12)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first Petersons was Old Dublin, and I just didn't get it. Unlike anything else I had tried, it seemed harsh, and a bit bitter. Irish Oak is another story. The flavors are similar, but the body and depth that the burley adds really makes the other tobaccos pop. Understanding that, I can now also enjoy Old Dublin, as I seem to better understand the blend. That hadn't happened before, learning to like one blend by trying another. Irish Oak, I am eternally grateful.

The smoke is sweet and full, with a medium Oriental/Perique punch. Perfectly mixed. The topping is also a delight. The flavor in so many multi-blends is flat, losing the strength of each. Irisk Oak is bright and well-crafted - a Pollock, not a Rothko.

parker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
parker (12)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

great tobacco, strong but with a very good bite (the right kind).tastes somewhat like some vintage tobaccos from the 50's.i did not detect any 'mouth coating' or find much similarity to cigarettes.i would in no way call this an aromatic,if you did, what would you call haddo's (which i like),which has far more flavouring than this.a good blend for late at night,after your taste buds have been blunted by daytime smokes.

Vandaahl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vandaahl (8)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Strong

Not my thingie! Never encountered a similar pipe tobacco. I do agree with some other reviewers that is tastes and smells like cigarettes. It does not taste like cigars! Cause I like a good cigar! In the tin it smells and looks very natural. The tobacco packs and burns well. This is not what I expect from a pipe tobacco...

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (27)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Many years ago, before having tried so many blends as I have tried now, and even before I ever tried Perique I found a tin of Irish Oak in a tobacco store and, willing to try the famed Perique I bought it. In Mexico, where this happened, the tin was very expensive (30 USD) due to taxes and the seller´s greed, but nevertheless I took it. When I drew a match near, it was fire on my mouth, just to start with. It always left me dizzy, to continue. And in tasted just as if I had put pure pepper instead of tobacco, to finish.

I immediately decided that not even for the 30 dollar´s sake I would finish this, so I gave it to a Canadian friend who smokes 30 gr. a day of pipe tobacco (and inhaling it!!!) and drinks 1 liter of Tequila each day, so he wouldn´t even notice that this blend was an atomic bomb. Just as predicted, he did love this so much that he even made me want to try it again. But it was too late... in two days the whole tin (the tobacco, fortunately) was in his lungs. I´m sure that with the experience and the improved technique I have now I could make a better review, but my memory says "don´t waste your money again on this".

Irish Oak made me avoid Perique for about a year after trying it, until I smoked Stokkebye´s Luxury Navy Flake, which made me fall in love with the weed of St. James.

Country Gentleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Gentleman (28)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

Update: This is one of the first tinned pipe tobaccos I tried. I decided to revisit and bought a new tin yesterday. Either this has changed or I remember it differently. Besides a new sticker on the container, the appearance of the blend is lighter. More golden. Still smoky but the wood and musk presense is longer there. This seems more like an average VaPer to me now. I will finish the tin but won't be buying it again after this.

Original review: An appropriate name, at least as far as the 'oak' is concerned - woodsy, earthy, musky. Not necessarily spicy and definitely not sweet. Somewhat deep, perhaps? Solid burning and smoky. Worth a try. I can't see this one being an all day smoke.

jeffo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jeffo (17)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

this to my mind is a good anytime tobacco just had tea & having a glass of cyder & really enjoying the smoke maybe we should get the tobacco police to try this hobby [not habit] & maybe get them a life anyway give it a try you might be suprised

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Edit...... I up it to 4 stars. There are simply too few blends like this around.

A good tobacco, but a bit too like cigarettes for me. People often recommend this if your switching from cigs, that I don't get, because the nice thing about a pipe is you can get so much more sweetness and flavors than cigs. I finished the rest of my tin in roll-up cigarettes after letting it dry out a lot. And that experience was one of the best cigs/rollie's I have ever smoked. Buy a tin to mix with your shag (hand-roll) tobacco!

JEM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JEM (12)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an interesting tobacco. I was expecting it to be flavored, but I found a pleasant, natural taste and those around me found a pleasant smoke smell. If you want something a little different, this is it.

Quoll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quoll (17)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I picked this up at one of the few remaining old-fashioned real tobacconists in the UK. I am glad I did. What an enjoyable smoke!

The tin presentation is of good quality plain tobacco. The blend is complex but I found the tin aroma typical of a great Virginia - hay/earth/spice. Lots of promise.

I have not had any lighting/pacing problems with this. Starts up well and stays at my pace without any excessive heat or bite. The flavours are just great. Complex and slightly surprising as you stroll through the bowl. Predominantly Virginias, but the Perique pops up in the front with the Cavendish providing a smooth background. I do not notice the 'coats your mouth' experience of earlier reviews. This is surprisingly strong stuff. I can forget how strong it is as I dwell on the flavours. It is certainly a satisfying smoke.

A regular for me. 4 stars.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (40)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This will put hair on your chest!....don't fear ladies, it's just an expression. This blend has put me in the enviable position of needing another new pipe(darn) as it really shouldn't be allowed to play with others. I'd describe this as a full bodied, slightly rustic smoke. Upon opening the tin I think of woodsy earthen smells, like damp moss, old pine needles under foot, and a distant fire in a fireplace. When first opened new you can find more of the sherry cask conditioning on the nose than later. It is not especially finicky about what you smoke it in, but a larger bowl and healthy filling to the top does help it become more complex. Big, unhindered tobacco flavors are what come up on the palate, along with faint wood or peat smoke, and just a hint of far away citrus and the oaky goodness of a fine aged sherry. I guess that means they got the name right.

This stuff does its best work when allowed to condition a pipe to this and only this blend. I have not had it smoke too hot, or have a tendency to gurgle at me, but it can bite if you get too excited and try to suck it down like a big gulp from 7-11.

If you like robust tobaccos, with out lots that oriental bite, give this one a shot. Also goes well with Dalmore Cigar Malt Scotch.

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my local tobacconists recently added an assortment of tinned Peterson tobaccos to their regular selection of mostly flavored bulk aromatics. I've tried several of the Peterson offerings, including Irish Oak, now with the plain olive-green label. Irish Oak is a pleasing Virginia-Perique blend, with a touch of Cavendish. The Cavendish adds a little extra sweetness to the mixture, and the Perique comes through with plenty of peppery tang. To me, it seems almost like a cross between Dunhill's Royal Yacht and their Elizabethan Mixture. I found it to be in the middle range in strength, a good choice for an after-dinner pipe. The tin aroma is reminiscent of raisins, sweet and inviting. The room note doesn't draw too many hard stares or grumbles; it's not an aromatic, but is not nearly as strong-smelling as most English mixtures, for example. My tin of Irish Oak was only slightly moist, and dried to the ideal moisture level in a matter of days; no difficulty in lighting it and keeping it lit. I didn't experience any tongue-bite with I.O., and I tend to puff a little vigorously sometimes. Anyone who would enjoy a Va-Per blend that's slightly sweet would find Irish Oak to be a good choice, I think. For me, it's not an everyday smoke, but one I'll choose once or twice a week. It seems to go especially well in a bent pipe with a slightly deep bowl.

221b Baker St. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
221b Baker St. (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I don't know what this is, but I love it. This makes a good all day smoke.

Pipeorgan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeorgan (7)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

What I like about this stuff is its' uniqueness. I'm not sure what category it falls into and I don´t really care. It works for me, and that says a lot because as I get more experienced in pipe smoking, I find that a lot of things that worked for me in the past, don't anymore. It is natural tasting, well balenced, and keeps my interest during the smoke. Also bends well with other natural tobaccos.

Mahardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mahardy (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

The only bit which I do not care for about this blend is the smell which one gets upon opening the tin. However, once one gets past that, it is quite an enjoyable smoke. Better suited for a walk, or a park bench than an easy chair at home. The room note I like. However, other non smokers are not of the same mind as I. So this blend is reserved for walks in the surrounding areas, and is quite happy there. One other thing I should add. If one buys this, they should also get some mints. The after taste is quite horrid, if you let it sit in your mouth for the length of a day.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A different kind of smoke here.. Exotic Virginias predominate in a unique character blend.. Definitely worth a try..

CTPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTPiper (8)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

This is my first encounter with perique and I'm quite pleased. This is a very smooth tobacco and there's no point in me repeating all the positive attributes that others have stated. If you haven't tried a perique tobacco, try Irish Oak.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Peterson's Irish Oak is a really nice change from some of the latakia blends or virginia blends, an easy to light, burns to the bottom of the bowl leaving only light gray ash mixture that I found to be, for my tastebuds, very complex and complicated. The mustiness is almost the first thing that you notice, but it's a good kind of mustiness that makes you sense that you are in the middle of the woods (which I find very attractive). The blend changes flavors during burning, becoming a little hot if I puff too much too fast, but once it settles down, it's very nice. Room note was ok, although the resident room-note expert indicated to me that this blend didn't leave a great smell.

I did find that my tastebuds tended to get used to the complexity very rapidly and that I would get to the point where it would cease to be noticable; meaning, after a few pipefuls, it was more like a general virginia blend than anything else. But if I smoked something else, then came back to it on the next round, I found the wonderful complex flavors there again. As such, I wouldn't want Irish Oak to be my mainstay, and I think I might keep some in my rotation, but I probably won't go out of my way to buy it again. At the same time, I would certainly not pass up a pipeful if it's available. So I give it 2 stars. The complexity alone should go 3 stars, but it just wasn't all that for me.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

First off, I am only going two stars on this due simply to the fact that I suspect a lot of what's out there needs to be put away and aged for awhile before being smoked. If you're looking for it, look for a can that has been on your tobacconist's shelf for awhile. I strongly suspect that aging would really bring out the flavors that are otherwise merely subtle undertones.

The stuff really smoked easy right from the can, no need to let it dry. It didn't have an overwhelming aroma, just a whiff of something really nice. I couldn't detect any one specific flavor or tobacco at first. There was a faint citrusy taste mixed with a little bit of floral aroma; kind of like what you get in really good Ethiopian sidamo coffee.

Another striking charactaristic, one that I liked, was the peatiness to the taste and aroma. I've heard this described about good scotch, but I don't drink the stuff, so wouldn't know. But there was a peatiness to it, and it was really unique and nice. A nice, mildly sweet blend, with no tongue bite whatsoever. None, zip, zero.

**After some good old dashboard stoving, the flavors have really begun to come out quite well in this blend. I have to bump my recomendation up to three stars. I can't give it four stars due to the fact that it isn't great right out of the tin, needing a little time to get itself together.

All in all, a very good tobacco. I loved the taste, but it was just not quite "all there" yet. Like I said, I think that several months of aging would do this particular blend very well, and I suspect that those who are experiencing a strong perique flavor are getting tins that have got some age to them. As for comparing it to cigarettes; that's just nuts, unless you roll your own with some very high quality tobacco.

gho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gho (8)

I am smoking a bowl of some slightly dry rests of Irish Oak I found in a tin right now. While other virginia/perique combos I have tried (St. James Flake, Holker Twist) have a considerably deeper and not necessarily better character, Irish Oak presents itself lighter, I would almost say airy and playful. The tingly perique keeps the overall impression from being superficial and the pleasant sherry note adds a nice descant. This blend ist done with skill and can provide an uncomplicated experience far from being exhausting.

Kiltman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kiltman (5)
Medium None Detected Overwhelming Strong

This stuff tastes like a wet dog smells. I've tried smoking this on a number of occasions--two cans worth actually and it doesn't do anything for me. It tastes like an asstray--blech.

This isn't to say that other Peterson blends are bad--just this one. Their aromatics aren't too sweet and their English er Irish blends aren't bad either. I'd gladly fill a pipe and smoke some of them, but not this stuff.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I find Irish Oak to be more than just an enjoyable tobacco. From charring light to the last puff, Irish Oak is pure ambrosia (IMHO). I received my first tin of it earlier today, and will be ordering more. Irish Oak is the perfect moisture level for easy packing, and easy smoking. I experienced a cool smoking blend with no tongue bite at all. When I finished the bowl, I had a clean, dry pipe, and after a few minutes to cool down, loaded the same pipe up with more Irish Oak. This blend has made me search the reviews for more non-aromatic tobaccos that I might enjoy ( and I do smoke a lot of aromatics, or, at least, I did). I would recommend Irish Oak to the new pipe smoker, the aromatic lover looking for a non aromatic tobacco, and to the English blend lover for a change of pace smoke.

BrianHK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrianHK (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

this is the 2nd tin peterson's tabacco i have picked, last time i have picked "sherlock holmes"! actually, im not going 2 compare both of them, coz i luv both of them as well! i can just say peterson is a really good choice of tabacco & im gonna collect all of its blend!

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

2006 has been hectic thus far for me. As a treat to myself and rather than further depelenish my meagre tobacco stocks, I purchased a tin of Irish Oak. I assume this is the Danish version, replete with a plain green tin sticker. I have never chanced to try the Murray's offering. I had a devil of a time breaking the seal on this one, and had to resort to some violence. Once open the blend smells very similar to Royal Yacht, which had my hopes running high. The tobacco itself is a hither and thither rough cut of blond and black and quite visually striking. Lightup is easy as the moisture level is slightly on the dry side, much to my preference. Other reviewers have made mention of this offering as an Irish interpretation of Elizabethan or Escudo. I would compare it to neither of those but feel it has merit on its own. The perique comes on assertively about 1/4 of the way down the bowl and the virginia flavor is superlative. This blend sings in every pipe I possess. The flavor is full and I, contrary to others here, rather enjoy the room aroma. IO pairs exceptionally well with a strong cup of English tea and the finish is dark and deep. I am impressed.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Got given a tin of this by a friend, ho didnt like it as it reminded him of cigarettes. I see his point. Its a rather mild blend predominantly of VA, supposedly containing Perique. I rarely notice this flavour in the smoke, they seem to hae been a bit stingy with it at the blending room. I think it's trying to be like Dunhills Elizabethan (Which I am not a huge fan of) but with less perique. It does have a complexity of its own, but the overall taste is so mild I am uninspired to smoke it again. A splash of whiskey ehanced it a little, so I smoke it in a clay while wandering about town on rainy days- it stays lit no trouble, and by turning the clay upside down I can keep the rain out. I hope I finish it soon.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)

Stout in nicotine content, and stout in Perique content, Irish Oak is a satisfying blend. There is a singularity to the taste which is attributable, in my opinion, to the absence of North American Virginias. Since my own preference is precisely for those Virginias Irish Oak will remain a change of pace, occasional smoke.

ollievon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ollievon (8)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Strong

If you enjoy a non-aromatic smoke this is a good choice. Do not be fooled by the name and the Petersons reputation of aromatics, this is (in my opinion) barely aromatic.

One can tell from first opening the canister that it is a complex tobacco that will take several bowls to decipher what it is all about. The cavendish and perique mixture is good and imparts a complex flavor and a somewhat pungent smoke. My father and I smoked it and all I could think "cigarettes" by the aroma. Granted I usually smoke aromatics, so this was 360 on the norm for me.

I would not push this aside since it is not aromatic, it is very good. The tobacco smoked rather cool and stayed lit throughout the smoke. The flavors stayed in the mouth for some time an were not unpleasant. This would be a test for anyone's wife that enjoys an aromatic. Best to be tested outside first.

Nke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nke (6)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I`ve spent a week with this tin, trying to grasp it`s essence and "soul". It is very eluding in it`s flavours; it is hard to say anything absolute about it, but it is, in this case a good thing. There are hints of cream and pepper,and something sour too. I also found sweetness as well as mossy autumn fields. It is very rich in it`s varietys. The smoke is quite full-bodied. It was,however,way too moist straight out of the tin, and it has gotten a lot better with a little drying. I may well have to go buy another tin, because this one`s almost empty,and I still haven`t "gotten it".

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This is a tin which has been in my basement for a number of years. The tobacco is quite moist and the paper cover is damp and stained. In the tin it has a faint, sweet aroma probably from the perique and cavendish. I allowed the tobacco to dry for about a half hour and then smoked two bowls back to back in pipes dedicated to Va./perique blends; it was that good. At the match it is sharp and tingly and awakens every sensor in the mouth. In the nose it zings like a strong Cuban cigar. Almost immediately it begins to settle down. This is spicey, almost peppery, and might just make a tyro's eyes water. It is quite warm on the tongue, but has no bite. This is a tobacco for those who like a strong, assertive tobacco with plenty of Va. tang and perique zip. I have always thought that whoever put this blend together knew exactly what he was doing. This is a tobacco for the experienced pipe smoker who enjoys Virginia and perique and occasionally likes to step right up to the edge. There is some sweetness, perhaps from the cavendish and it carries some very elusive, almost neutral flavor that complements the Virginia. I sense the burley more than taste it. Half way down the bowl the smoke becomes warm, flavorful, mellow and luscious but still mainains its spiciness. This blend puts me more in mind of Three Nuns rather than Escudo or Elizabethan Mixture which are my perique preferences. I regard this blend as a fine perique blend to be enjoyed occasionally rather than on a regular basis. Highly recommended. Paddy.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (56)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

the fermentation of the perique comes through. Nice once you hit the zone at the second third of the bowl, with peppery notes. The final bit was a little bitter when smoked in a medium bowl. Could use a little drying out from the tin to keep a good burn. Might try it again, but didn't stand out enough to get a tin for the cellar.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Too finely cut for me. This leads to a pronounced harshness due to the burn rate. Would make a good roll-your-own tobac for those who like strong Euro-Canadian cigarettes. Two and one-half stars.

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Overwhelming None Detected Full Very Strong

I must approach writing about this with caution. This is the only blend which can be classified as heavy in perique in my collection. Not an expert on this type of tobacco. When I opened my first tin, I notice a foul smell of rotting Autumn leaves. At first light it was like lighting up a 'pack' of Canadian ciggerettes. And then time passed. A month later in my office I ran out of my Dunhills and what's left was this IO. I am stuck with it. Opened the tin and the foul smell was still there. I minimize the charring light cause I didn't want the smell of ten thousand Players ciggies hanging around my office and I smoke this in extrem slow manner. Then something differnt came upon, a perfumy scent was produced. hum...surprise. Then a dullness sets in. Yet this dullness is not unplesant. It is like a cloudy day standing by the sea but with calm waters. So different from the English's thunder bolt of sharpness. And now, it has become my in-between English. Everytime I smoke a good spicy English, I do a bowl of this to smooth out the sharpness in my month. Tuning down back to calm water before the next ride. I certianly have developed a use for this blend.

I got the ne version of this. Made by some other blender other then Muray and Son. Although traveling as the same vain as the old version, this is a completely different approach. It is still dull. The tin smell is very subtle. It is all natural tobacco with no topping. I can tell the Vs is not aged like the old version. The golden Vs are lighter in color. Actually, the leaf don't really give out any detectable smell. The smoke from it is actually pretty good. It is mild and subtle. But since the leaves are not aged like the old version, it tends to be a little sweeter with less depth. The smoke is also less rich. in a sense, if V/P tobacco turns you on, this is should be pretty good. But if you are an old fan of the old version, this will dissappoint you. But if you take it like a brand new tobacco, this is something to be rechon with.

Ralph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ralph (4)

Upon trying this a few times (tins) I can honestly say that this is quite different than many other VA/Periques out there. I enjoyed this very much with all the exotic tobacs I think it payed off with the Flavor and aroma. Theres a traditional VA/Perique aroma upon opening the tin and you are also greeted with an earthy undertone that gives way for good things to come. It is an unassuming smoke that is somewhat strong but flavorful with nuts and coffe-like notes throughout. It tends to get spicy toward the end but not overwhelming like some others I've tried. I smoke this on occasion, but I like it very much.

virtu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
virtu (4)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I have tried other Peterson's tobaccos and haven't been much impressed, but this one is special. It's surprisingly strong and takes you to the "smoker's paradise" after few puffs. And the taste is... well, I can't describe, but once you've tried it, you'll remember and will recognise it from other blends. It's hot and spicy, but in a very pleasant manner and there is something elusive and unspoken in the smell.I can't grasp, but enjoy it. A bowl of this bland may come instead of a meal in an oriental restaurant, especially if you alternate the puffs with a sip of red wine.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

October 2004

I'm not quite sure what is so "Irish" about this blend, given the disparate regions outside of Ireland from which its individual components hail. Perhaps it is the Irish Whisky casing identified by at least one reviewer?

To me, this was a decent but nondistinct V/P blend, notwithstanding the copious amount of Burley it contains. I did experience an unpleasntly harsh flavor toward the end of the bowl. There are other V/P blends I like better.

Hidden Claw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hidden Claw (4)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Discrepant blend... And all the reviewers has expressed their opinion so munutely, that I even don't know what to say else. Ah, yeah, as for me, this blend is perfect in the night, with a good glass of a good brandy (armenian, I think), existential thoughts comes through after that....

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I was pleasantly surprised with Irish Oak. Kind of a Virginia and Perique blend that smokes cooler than a standard Va/P.

The Perique stays in the background, as does the Burley. The Perique maintained a comfortable level of spiciness throughout, and the Burley added not only its nutty flavor, but a bit of the flavor picked up while aging in the barrel. There is a bit of a flourish of Perique at the end that tapers off as quickly as it came.

This blend seemed to be a touch tastier in a meerschaum than in a briar.

Montague Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Montague (32)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Mild Strong

Peterson?s Irish Oak is a plain, indistinctively tasting smoke that is blended by Murray & Sons Co. of Belfast.

Irish Oak has a singular tin aroma. The odor of the blend is very musky with similarities to a sharp cheese and wet hay. The aroma itself is not overly pleasant. Irish Oak is a mixture of familiar varieties of tobacco obtained from what one would consider nontraditional locations. The tobaccos employed in this blend are: Zimbabwean Virginia, Thailand Burley, unflavored Cavendish, and Perique. The color of Irish Oak ranges from a dark brown to a lighter brown/orange.

The cut of Irish Oak is a longer stringy ribbon cut. No rubbing of the blend is needed and the packing of the blend is average. Irish Oak benefits from dehydrating and doing so reduces bite and allows for a more complete burn.

Irish Oak lights well and burns completely to the walls of the pipe bowl with a fine medium gray ash being produced without any dottle. Not many relights are needed and if enough attention is given to the burning cake, a single match could very well be all that is needed. The Irish Oak tobacco blend does tend to burn quickly and the room note, being of the cigarette-like odor, is not inviting.

The taste of Peterson?s Irish Oak is plain, straightforward, and has a slight bit of spicy wood-like undertones. The taste can be considered more bitter than sweet, with very little of the natural Virginia sweetness dimension being expressed in the flavor. The spicy characteristic becomes more and more pronounced as the burn continues, most likely due to the medium high Perique content. Irish Oak has an unfortunate ashy aftertaste that certainly downgrades the blend. Irish Oak may have some alcohol topping but it is not noticeable when smoked. Irish Oak also has the ability to produce a somewhat nauseating effect when smoked, especially in larger amounts. Tongue bite is a factor with this blend but the tobaccos do cool to a certain extent later in the smoke. A dirty white smoke is given off in medium thick amounts.

Although possessing commendable burning characteristics, Peterson?s Irish Oak blend lacks any truly enjoyable flavors and can be categorized as a bland smoke with a disadvantageous aftertaste.

Carlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlos (18)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

Very good tobbaco - nice taste, nice smell. Taste is very interesting - maby because of Black Perique and Zimbabwean Burley?

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

This is a classic Irish/Scotch blend. Strong and deep. This isin't for beginners. The whisky taste is that of Irish whisky. I think a bourbon flavor would have been better due to it's sweetness. Irish whiskey isn't sweet and makes the taste of the tobacco really strong. Im not knocking this blend it's just not my cup of tea. If it had a different flavoring I think it would be better.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Out of all of the peterson blends this is my favorite. I find that this blend can be very rewarding or unforgiving depending on the the pipe and the humidity level of the tobacco and the air around you. If you smoke this in the right pipe in low humidity after the tin has been opened for a little while this blend is excellant, if you are not careful and don't give this blend attention it can be unforgiving. When I smoke this in my petersons shirlock holmes baker street pipe or one of my Walt Cannoy pipes with the above preperation this is a wonderfully complex, cool and smooth blend. When smoked slow I get a wonderful lightly sweet virginia flavor that is interwoven with hints that are earthy and nutty. The perique comes in and out through out the smoke and there is even hints of a raisinesque essance at times. This blend is highly recomended to those who like virginia and perique but does take alot of attention and special care with trial and error to fully appreciate and some people may not enjoy this process.

GaryScott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GaryScott (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like to add just a pinch of perique to this blend just to make sure I'm smoking pure perique. In other words, this stuff is heavy on the perique. The oddest thing is that, as other reviewers noticed, it's not even noticable early on. By mid-bowl, it has a pleasant role. By the final third of the bowl, it's dominating.

Stay away if you don't at least like perique.

Brotherblue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brotherblue (12)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Not much flavor for me; too much nicotine. It seems to me like a cigarette tobacco. Yes, I do lean toward the cavendishes, but I also love Englishes for their earthy and botanical notes. This has no real flavoring that you wouldn't find beyond a cigarette or cheap cigar. The nicotine level got me to the verge of swimmyheadedness, but not completely. If I'm willing to take in so much nicotine, I'm going to want some good flavors to go with it, as found in any good English.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

I see this as a work-shop, puttering around the yard smoke. It lets you know that it is there, and has some decent flavor. However, it is not in the class of blends that I would describe as sit-back and "Experience It" types.

It definitely has a unique taste. "nice, pleasant, unobtrusive." The cavendish is probably responsible for keeping this blend smooth and consistent throughout the run of the bowl. One needs to take care not to puff too fast as this can be an unforgiving blend in this regard. The perique seems to be the main character that interplays on the way down the bowl.

It burns to a fine grey-white ash with little dottle left. Nice, O.K., smoke

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is a pleasant Virginia/Perique/other stuff blend. It starts out very mild with a very mild flavor and strengthens to medium by the end of the bowl. I could smoke this regularly, but given the array of superb tobaccoes along these lines blended by GL Pease I can't see this as part of my regular rotation.

Certainly worth trying.

Bootknife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bootknife (17)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the blends that will bite if you are not patient with it. Don't confuse the "picante" spiciness of the perique with "bite" though.

The aroma's and flavors are well described above. I seem to have noticed a little more of the oak flavor than most though. Just in the background as it should be in a fine red wine. In fact, this tobacco goes well with a good zinfandel or shiraz. Very complimentary, not contrasting.

Shagrat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shagrat (4)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I followed Blue Train one day with my first bowl of this stuff. Blue Train was a waltz with Ginger Rogers, and the bowl of Irish Oak was one minute in the ring with George Foreman. The nicotine was a real gut punch and I thought I was going to lose it. Oddly enough, I later smoked a tin of this, and didn't find it too bad. I'm not a great Cavendish fan, I find it too colorless, but the Perique gives this blend some much needed character. The scent of the tin is very much a whiskey/oak smell, no doubt because of its aging in sherry casks. I'm sorry, I don't know a Zimbabwean Orange from a Shirley Temple, or Thailand Burley from Hurly Burly. Lately I've found that following Frog Morton up with this one isn't too bad. Moisture content is OK right out of the tin. It packs well in a medium sized bowl, and stays lit pretty well. A former pipe smoker thought the room note was pretty good, but to me it's indifferent, not notable. I'm going to withold final judgement on this one and come back to the review later.

Whew! Is this blend ever loaded with perique! If you like that Louisiana specialty, then get some Irish Oak running thru your veins. If, on the other hand, you prefer your perique to be in the background, tiptoe away from this stuff!

The strange thing about this tobacco is that you need to smoke the first quarter of a bowl before the perique starts to take over. By the bottom third, well, a perique lover will be having a near orgasmic experience. As for me, the last third of the bowl was so overwhelmingly perique, I couldn't taste anything else in the blend.

Recommended for those with a bad head cold and need to clear their nasal passages.

father_brian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
father_brian (12)
Strong Mild Full Strong

I really like Irish Oak, perhaps for the so-called "exotic" ingredients from Zimbabwe & Thailand, which mellow out the "you either love it or hate it" taste of cavendish, which I do not paritcularly like. The perique gives it just enough of an "edge" to keep things interesting.

The odor out of the tin is quite pleasant & perplexing at the same time: it's either the Zimbabwean Orange or some unidentified flavoring that is undetectable whilst smoking. The color & appearance is quite striking: an orangeish/brown.

The taste is unique & full, but not overpowering. It smokes smoothly and does not bite. It burns evenly down to a fine white ash. The aroma is not too bad, but it's certainly not an aromatic!

It is one of my favorites, I include it in my rotation.

Padraig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Padraig (10)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

Nice nose in the can, burns a little hot. More tounge bite than I like and enough nicotine to put you into the video game room in Vegas. Whew! I'll probably smoke it again when I crave a real fix. I suspect that a cigarette smoker (which I'm not) would like this one, but it's not my favorite.