Mild Ready-Rubbed Cavendish consisting of quality mild flue-cured Virginia Tobaccos with some light Burley tobaccos. Straight Cavendish cut. Aged Whiskey tobacco flavor.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringWhisky
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
1.9
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The taste is decent enough, and for a one dimensional whiskey smoke, it won't overwhelm your senses. It's rather bitey, and burns wet even if you dry it. There are better whiskey blends out there, including P.S. Highland Whiskey, and I'd recommend them over this. More of a one and half star blend, but certainly, not a two star. At least the whiskey flavor isn't cheap tasting.

kingjj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kingjj (9)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a bit of an odd one. I blind-bought due to a sale, and was surprised to find the scent to be floral, quite unlike any whiskey that had passed my lips.

Initially, I hated this tobacco. The floral scent carried over to the flavor. It tasted like soap, or like I was smoking lavender. I was preparing to give it the most negative review I could muster. But as I begrudgingly worked my way through the bowl, something weird happened. The lavender flavor, while still present, became much more subdued, while notes of honey, nutmeg, and a bit of chocolate emerged. What was at first intolerable, turned into something pretty enjoyable. But I have to admit, it's overly floral, antiseptic opening was very hard to get past.

For strength, it seems to pack more vitamin N than the other Stokkebye aromatic I've tried (peach), which is welcome. In fact, it probably has the most vitamin N of any aromatic I've tried, period. On the downside, it seems to produce an excess of tar, thus a lot of gurgle. Also, when reaching the final quarter of the bowl, it seems to have a hard time staying lit (probably drowning in tar), although it smokes really well up until that point.

All in all, a smooth, strong, relaxing smoke despite the caveats and rough introduction. I'm working through my pouch at a pretty steady clique, which says a lot seeing that I initially wasn't sure if I could work through a single bowl.

EDIT: 11/11/13 Thought I'd return and add a star to my initial review because since I posted it, I've taken a tour of many other PS blends both aromatic and english, and found PS-2 to be not only my favorite, but it has also become my "everyday" blend. This seems really crazy looking back at my initial dislike, but what can I say? All things considered, the PS-2 ended up really working for me. It has a really nice blend of virginia and burley cavendish, the virginia giving it sweetness, richness, and nuttiness. While the burley packs the "ooph" (and as stated above, PS-2 has more "ooph" than some english blends I've tried and definitely tops the aromatics).

The whiskey casing creates a room note my SO not only tolerates, but enjoys. It also gives the blend a flavor I'm still finding interesting four months after my first bowl.

I know I'm not supposed to review others reviews, and I guess I understand some of the low ratings this blend has gathered. In interest of full disclosure I do still find the wetness it produces to be a bit irritating, and it can bite you pretty fiercely at the onset and finish of the bowl. But with that said, I've tried a good number of the other PS blends over the past few months, but kept finding myself longing for and coming back to the PS-2 despite my caveats. And upon coming back, I've also found myself falling in love -- all over again -- every time I pack and light.

I'd say it's worth a shot...

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 7

After Taste = 7

Raw Score = 44

Rated Percentage = 73%

Comment = Smooth, a bit of a Bite, Burned Hot, the whiskey casing leaves an After Taste. Try PS-38 Highland Whiskey it is a much better blend than PS-2.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well you may not like this tobacco for a couple reasons. First is that its got a bad tongue bite and tastes somewhat strong. I have only smoked a little of it so far, I like it for some reason though. I dont taste the whiskey immediately until I pack down the bowl after puffing for a little while. It does smell decent, but maybe not so pleasant to all people. I really dont know how many others would like it, but I still recommend it.

gildervoigts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gildervoigts (16)

I ordered some Preacher's Secret from Just for Him, it is what they are calling the Stokkebye Whiskey. Upon opening the bag you get a nice whiskey smell and a top note of licorice. The moisture seemed to be spot on, and it went in the pipe very well. It lit easily and smoked to a fine grey ash.

I thought that I was going to really enjoy this blend, but when I first light it up I get a burn in the back of my nose, not from the heat of the pipe, but from the initial burn of the tobacco (I think it is the whiskey). For me it is akin to smoking a very dry cigarette from my teenage years. As the pipe burns it mellows out, and becomes almost nutty. After smoking the 2 oz of this that I got, I can say that it is ok, but I will probably not get it again. It lacks the complexity that I enjoy in other tobaccos, and isn't all that flavorful to my palate.

If you enjoy whiskey cased tobaccos that are mild, you may enjoy this.

Carlo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlo (16)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Tin Aroma: Simply astounding. A wonderful burley/virginia aroma topped with a sweet, mature and rounded malt whisky. I could eat it!

Room Note: Much the same as the tin aroma but with an odd 'incensey' type smell which could almost be a hint of latakia, except there is no latakia in it. However, this just adds to it's rich and homely aroma. Marvellous.

Packing: As this is a wild or loose cut intermingled with short ribbon, packing was very easy. A little on the dry side but nice and springy. I favour the pinch method which is a doddle with this weed.

Lighting: Easy to light with a charring light, firm tamper and relight. Takes the flame well due to it's perfect moisture content.

Appearance: Black cavendish mixed with bright to dark leaf gives this blend an attractive, mottled appearance.

Smoking: For an aromatic this burns very cool and slow. It smoulders evenly to a fine grey ash with no dottle. The flavour is just superb to the bottom of the bowl, perfectly balancing a mature aged malt whisky taste with high quality tobacco leaf. The burley marries well with the sweet cavendish to create a high quality aromatic that bursts with whisky flavour but not at the expense of the tobacco itself. I found no bite at all and no unpleasant aftertaste. Absolutely no demise on relights. Magnificent. A king amoungst the 'whisky' tobaccos! Incidentally, this review is of P.S.'Highland Whisky'.

Pros: A splendid whisky blend that bursts with flavour whilst remaining slow and cool burning. This tobacco certainly takes some beating.

Cons: None at all. I can thoroughly recommend this quality aromatic blend.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This, along with Lane's 1Q was one of my early tobacco selecting mishaps. Bland, uneventful stuff. I prefer my Scotch in a glass, as it apparently doesn't do much for cavendish tobacco.

Note: Having sampled both, I would agree with aadelma that the Highland Scotch blend is indeed quite a bit better than the one reviewed here.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Decent leaf, decent topping, generally average results. Those with a predilection for liquor-flavored blends should be reasonably happy with this middle-ground aromatic. Not a lot of depth, and not a naturally cool smoke, but no different in those regards from similar blends, and plenty of whiskey flavor. So, nothing new here, but a solid showing for what it is.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)

I agree with a couple other reviewers here that PS Highland Whiskey is clearly a better blend. I could not find a happy medium for this stuff when it came to long term storage. Too wet, or too dry. When it gets too wet, it develops a musty smell. Too dry, it bites like a rattlesnake on the tongue. At no point could I taste real tobacco, not to mention the gurgle halfway through the bowl. PS Whiskey just not for me.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

A friend gave me a sample to try. We are always looking for a good every day smoke that isn't too expensive. He likes it, I don't.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

"Well" I tried it. And it made no great impression on me! If I had nothing else to smoke,then & only then I might consider lighting it.This left me with similar memories of B/Riff Whiskey.(NOT GOOD)In it's class-I'll give it a half Star out of 4 Star's.

Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Most Stokkebye blends, while of excellent quality, are just plain too sweet for me. Whiskey blend was no exception. It reminds me of Iwan Ries & Company's China Black Whiskey in that there is lots of whiskey flavor with very little bite.

I did not really enjoy the smoke to a great extent because it was just too flavorful (i.e., cased). If you have a sweet tooth and enjoy quality virginia/burley mixes with lots of added juice, this stuff is for you. It does leave a bit of a wet heel and you'll need extra pipe cleaners for this one!