Translation from the German website: Scotney ....dark-brown, aromatic, strong. These are the most appropriate attributes that mark the ready rubbed flake Scotney. A powerful Virginia/Perique ready rubbed flake forms the base of Scotney. A decent topping, which supplements the character of the tobacco best, lends Scotney its distinctive aroma.

Notes: This brand new rubbed broken flake is comprised of three different Virginias from India and 10% perique. The topping is a light touch of vegetable, making it slightly aromatic.

BrandHU Tobacco
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
JimInks (2058)

The Virginias are earthy, tangy sweet (indicating red Va. is one of them) with a touch of citrus, and very slightly grassy. The perique is plum, fig and dried fruit with some pepper. The amount of perique is ten percent of the components. The lightly applied topping is green tomato sweet, and doesn't taste ketchupy nor does it tone down the tobaccos much. Somehow, it seems to meld well with the tobaccos as the flavor is consistent all the way to the finish. Not as complex as some of Hans' other blends, it is a medium strength lightly aromatic broken flake that is easily rubbed out, and burns at a reasonable pace. It has a mild to medium nic-hit, and is more than a once a day pleasure. It burns smooth, slow, cool, and dry, requiring only a few relights, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. No chance of bite or harshness. Has a decent after taste. Can be an all day smoke.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (183)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

First thing I have to mention: On the website they don't mention that "tomato" is the flavouring. They just say "simply tasty"-flavouring. Tomato flavouring <-> "simply tasty" ....well "simply tasty" is the last thing that comes through my mind, when thinking of tomato flavourings on tobacco.

BUT(!): When opening the tin I was quite surprised. The smell wasn't ketuchpy nor does it smell like tomatos to me. What I get is a slight scent of the smell, that tomato-leafs provide. Even tho I couldnt imagine that any kind of tomato-fragrance would be delightful in a tobaco the smell is pretty appetizing. A slight fruit note, a bit pepper maybe.

As I packed my Clay pipe with it I diddnt have any problems handling the lovely looking broken flake. Lighting is easy, even tho it's a bit moist.

The taste....mhm...I'll have to give this one a few more tries I guess because I taste almost NOTHING. The tomato-scent which I described is to always present in the taste, but very mild, and never obtrusive. But other than that, theres almost nothing to be found tastewise.

10% Perique?....I've smoked a 10%-Perique blend before (Ascanian No.2 by DTM), and loved the deep and rich tangy-fruity taste. I love VA/PERs, but Scotney doesnt have any of the Perique taste and feeling for me. No tingly, prickly mouth-feel. Almost none dried-fruit taste. Just a slight pepper-note. The VAs deliver no citrus, no sweetness. Just a earthy,slightly tangy taste. The flavouring isnt a problem to me at all. Somehow it's pretty tasty and seems very, very natural and fits the taste.

A big disappointment to me. I was awaiting a Perique-heavy blend, with deep, rich Perique taste. But this one is just dull, almost like hot air. Is there a mistake? Is it 1% Perique?! I'm afraid it's no mistake :-/ Did the flavouring "kill" the Perique taste? I don't know, but if I wouldnt have known theres Perique in it, I wouldn't have guessed it.

Now, that the bowl is almost done, the taste gets a bit more intense, but still - no prickly Perique mouthfeel, almost no fruitiness. Tangy? Spicy? Not really, sorry.

Only thing I get is a slightly earthy taste and the well done tomato-flavouring.

Damn...this could have been such a good blend. 10% perique...what could possibly go wrong? Well....everything for me this time...

But I'll give this a few more chances, in hope the flavour - and especially the Perique is just hiding somewhere in the tin. If so, I'll update and uprate this blend.

Like this I'll give it 2/4 stars - just to be kind, and because it is indeed smokeable, but just provides almost no taste and flavour.

EDIT: As tobaccoreviews repeatedly deletes my translations on many german tobaccos I'll post the description of Scotney here, because the description is missing a lot of details:

(this one got rejected because of "spelling mistakes") The Scotney consist of 3 different indian Virginia-Leafs and 10% Perique. The flake is cold-pressed for 1 week and afterwards for several weeks in the spindel press for maturing.

Maturity gives the Scotney his soft character and his full taste. After rubbing him out Scotney is given a decent topping, to give him that certain something. A top class tobacco for a full and satisfiying smoking experience. A specalist who is unrivaled.

Strenght: 5 Aroma: simply tasty Taste: 1 (Aroma) Scale: 1 (mildly) - 6 (strong)

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Purchased From: HU Tobacco (Bosch)

Halcyon_andy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Halcyon_andy (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

On first light this tobacco did not impress, it seemed monotonous and had a flavour on top of the Virginia, not entirely dissimilar to the smell of the veg drawer in the fridge when veg has gone seriously arwy.

However, with perseverance this blend transformed. By half way through it developed a complex array of flavours. A well rounded smoke that casually shifts between delicious VA and that unusual organic element, but never boring.

I don't think I'd get it again, but I enjoyed what I had.

Pipe Used: Viking houston

Purchased From: Swap

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Except for the citrus note, I have to agree with JimInks' review; perhaps through the power of suggestion, I can even agree with the slight tomato-like note in the topping, although I suppose that may be from the processing rather than an added casing and/or topping.

Pipe Used: various briars, cobs, and meers

Purchased From: gift